Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited January 2018
    Lovely to read all, and lovely photos of new projects and furnishings! January, a time of new beginnings and I'm on my fourth day of low carbs and many veggies, and I'm learning about beans and what to do with them. I find if I can manage the first four days of a diet it gets easier.
    Mikes coming over with fresh salmon to cook for lunch. I know someone with four paws who enjoys salmon.

Now that my lovely pullover is paid for, I've ordered two plain shirts in soft white and pale pink from Marks and Spencer's. The idea being to gradually replace my shabby stuff. I don't want a huge wardrobe. I have just so many hangers in the cupboard and when one becomes free, time to replace with new. The new pullover replaced a fair isle jumper from the eighties! How's that for frugality! I have two shirts more than ready for the dump.

It's still above freezing with sunshine. There's definitely a feeling of the coming spring in the air despite the lingering snowbanks. I've woken up feeling optimistic. So far 2018 is good.
    Anne.
    PS. Message from Mike, he's cooking our lunch and roasting veggies which he's bringing over ready prepared for cooking. Great minds think alike, I've just peeled potatoes, carrots, beets and cauliflower! Oh well, save time tomorrow I guess!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    Good day....time to run off for church but much accomplished already. Trip to Trader Joe’s, a stop to pick up a cold brew coffee special, gas for the car, a newspaper, groceries put away, items to take to church packed and my offering check is tucked in my Bible.

It is gray and foggy here today but better than ice or a winter storm. We will see what tomorrow brings.

I am going to the image transfer class after church so I expect to continue rushing about all day. :D

See you later my friends. Always wonderful to read the latest from everyone.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,271 Member
    edited January 2018
    Happy Sunday! :) I will be watching the playoff games today even though I normally don't watch football. My SIL's life time dream was to work for the Minnesota Vikings and his dream came true and he was their controller. He grew tired of the job and felt he was not fulfilled so he ended up getting a job with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He works in their charity department which he loves. So you can imagine how excited we are that there is even a glimpse of a Super Bowl game between these two teams. We asked which he would want to win and his answer was the one who pays his bills meaning the Jaguars. Win or lose they both should be exciting games to watch. BTW if the Jaguars did win the Super Bowl there is a chance my SIL could get a Super Bowl ring. Wouldn't that be fun?

Lin, have fun at the image transfer class and let us know how you like it. We also have fog but warmer weather and the snow if finally melting.

Anne, great minds think alike as I am trying to eat low carb once again. Once I get the hang of it again it should be easy but I will have to think of something else to eat at Babe's on Saturday's. Your lunch sounds delicious, have enough for one more?

Jackie, interesting information on the agility class. I originally thought you meant a discipline class but this is different. Are you preparing him for showing or just for balance?
    I just am unsure of a flu shot only because of how sick I got with one a couple of years ago.
    I am diligent in washing my hands and trying to stay away from sick people.

Buzz, I only am better in dealing with Babe and his family because of Al Anon and learning to take care of myself. Why is it when we lose a couple of pounds we eat something with salt that immediately makes us gain. It is a vicious circle but worth it to stay healthy.

Patsy, I absolutely love your new rug. It is perfect for your dungeon but would look beautiful anywhere. We are only as old as we feel and I feel no where near my age. I enjoy life and would like to enjoy it for many years to come.

May the best team win, but please let it be the Jaguars and the Vikings. lol

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Where does my time fly? The movie planned for after brunch disappeared, so Karie presented Shakespeare in Love instead, and this time I managed to stay awake to see the ending. This has never been a favorite of mine, despite ll the awards! Gwyneth Paltrow is gorgeous as always, but Judy Dench as Queen was magnificent as usual!Here it is, almost midnight, and I've accomplished nothing much all day, yet am sleepy as can be......yes, JACKIE, Boca is considered lovely, and its landscaping is always just about perfect; in fact, too perfect for my taste lol. But that's where Edgewater is located, and it just made the best 5% list in the USA for Continuous Care Communities, which has very rigid rules, so I'm pleased to be here. Lots of flu in many of these places right now, but we have only 1 case and he's guaranteed. I must glance at my mail, which I haven't done in several days, so I'm going to wish you all a good sleep!
    <3 Buzz
    ................................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About to Happen!..............................................
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Goodness me, it's stopped raining!! A shorter walk round the village this morning because the plasterer Jim arrived about 10am by which time George had his legs crossed. He was telling me how many people are now realising a glass roof on a conservatory makes for a hot room so I made the right choice but of course I won't be able to prove that theory until the sun shows itself again!

Anne ~ I think it's wonderful that you've rediscovered M&S and are certainly shopping wisely. It's too easy to lose sight of how many purchases have been made until too late, the bill arrives! The blouses sound lovely and when I'm posted I will take a peek at their website!

Sandy ~ When we walk on the moors George often walks along old stone walls or jumps over large rocks and along with Scruff has learned to jump on to specific boulders and wait for a treat so I thought it would be good fun for him to have a go at agility where he will learn to run through tunnels or over obstacles. Our initial lessons are all about the dog learning to listen to commands (ha!) and realise he can do more with his little body than just run forwards.... time will tell.

Buzz ~ Too perfect can be soulless but Boca in the sunshine did look wonderful although I know I'd miss my moors if surrounded by high rise buildings. I've yet to read one dissatisfied comment from you concerning your community so it really was a wise choice after all that heart-searching you and Mike went through and oh dear, I've just remembered Mike's lost sandals. Did they ever resurface?

Lin ~ Can't wait to discover how those images will be transferred and whether you get covered in ink, not for the first time!! LOL

A tuna sandwich on seeded bread has just come into my head so that's today's lunch with a mug of tomato soup. Then I think I will chop up the last of the pumpkins from the allotment and make a spicy soup for the week.

Happy Monday!
    Jackie
  • jacean2017
    That's what I'm doing today, making a hearty Bean and veggie soup to combat the all day rain. Boy is it gloomy out there!

I'm looking forward to the shirts JACKIE. They are very plain to go with my jeans, and if you DO look them up they are the Autograph pure cotton long sleeve shirts. A little more pricey than the M&S shirts, BUT in dollars, a lot cheaper than here for hopefully quality, and no delivery charge. Once paid, I will be looking at bras. The sizes are so different for me now in a different country I'll have to do some measuring carefully. I want to get my basic stuff restocked and then start looking at more flamboyant clothes for fun! I love the way M&S takes one through the measuring! Body shape and age taken into account. If one is truthful, I don't see how we can go wrong, fingers crossed.
    Talking of glass roofs don't they get grubby Jackie and a pain to keep clean?

Mike turned up with expensive salmon and roast veggies yesterday. Absolutely scrumptious, both he and Mark are great cooks, better than Mom. Even Jilly had three small cat size bowl fulls. Marks just text to say he's on his way to his office for a meeting today, so he won't be fiddling with my lime coated pipes. The bath is slowly filling right now.

And I'd better leap (wishful thinking) into it!
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Anne ~ A great choice and especially love the soft pink colour.... reminds me of candyfloss! Simple yet stylish and will look perfect with jeans. The one review from a lady of a certain age heaps praises on the UK website.

Back to the pumpkin chopping!
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Happy Monday!! :) A gloomy rainy day so a good day to do laundry. Both teams that my SIL worked for lost in the playoffs. Heartbreaking but maybe next year.

Anne, I was nosy and looked at the shirts, good choice. A little pricey for me but I am sure they are excellent quality. Once you find a store that has the correct size and style of clothes you love it is hard to shop anywhere else. Next will have to see some modeling pictures of you in these clothes.

Jackie, I think George will be a perfect student and love his new agility skills. I agree about the glass roof, the sun would be too hot and what a nightmare to clean.

Buzz, I don't think we have such wonderful communities in Illinois at least not how you describe things. My ex MIL lived in assisted living but it wasn't anything like yours. I am glad you found such a wonderful community and can enjoy your time without worry.

Lin, I am sure you have our gloomy day weather so are you out and about or staying in today?

Patsy, I know you are used to this rain but hopefully you have sunshine today.

Enjoy,
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Good afternoon. Odd weather for January. We have had thunderstorms (kept me awake for a while last night), some periods of heavy rain, fog, bright sunshine and now back to gloom.

I am staying home today. Laundry is finished, one last bill to pay, crushing boxes to go out in the trash later, a bit of cooking as well. And lots of accidents! I knocked over my cup of toothpaste water this morning. It soaked my standalone timer, the electric cord for the toothbrush and more. Lots of cleaning up. The washer drain overflowed on the basement floor. My mop head disintegrated with foam parts cascading all over the place. So it seems like a very good day to stay away from anything that might cause major harm.

Yesterday afternoon I was quite disappointed as there was an equipment failure and so the image transfer class was cancelled after we all arrived and there were no chairs or materials. The instructor came in a bit later and apologized. Class will not be rescheduled but she talked through the method she was going to teach. I must remember to not look forward to things so much. I spent the rest of the afternoon at the consignment store hunting through everything as it was the semi-annual clearance sale. Lots of looking but nothing came home with me.

I will admit I did not look at the shirts but I am pleased that you found things that you like Anne. It is a great plan to replace things bit by bit. And especially good to find exactly what you like rather than settling for just what you find in the clearance section! And how wonderful when your package arrives in the mail. Lovely that your son cooked such a great meal and that even Jilly benefited. Ha, yes, no jumping into a very slow filling tub please.

Jackie, I agree with consensus, a glass roof would make it a greenhouse/hothouse. Oh boy, looking forward to seeing the next phase completed. Not half as much as you I am sure. I hope George is a quick student. My friend with the Poms has trained hers for agility and I think the dogs have all enjoyed it. I have enjoyed watching her run her dogs in shows. Her knees do longer permit her to do much of that unfortunately.

Sandy, I didn’t watch any of the football yesterday. I don’t have a team. My friends who are fans all have different favorites. I agree, a good indoor day. Some folks at church were talking about having a Super Bowl party even though all their favorites were out of the running.

Buzz, loads of flu here. I am offending some people at church now as everyone still wants to hug and shake hands etc. I am fist bumping and some will say to me I am not scared of your bugs and I say, sorry, I have not had a flu shot. I need a new line which does not offend them. Or I will leave the sanctuary during meet and greet time. I am glad you are well.

Back to paying some attention to my cooking.

Hugs.

Lin
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    We have periods of lovely sunshine, the dark clouds rush in and we have a shower that passes quickly. So happy to see Mr. Sunshine! Daffodils are threatening to shoot up through all the fallen leaves and debris. Brave little yellow flowers that bring us joy and hope every spring. Hurry spring!

I am looking at getting some new clothes as well. I am not as good at planning as Anne. I order all manner of things and will doubtless need to send at least half of the order back. John says I am giving the clothes a little vacation. They get to come to Oregon for a trip then go back home. Weird, John!

I am in need of more coffee, some physical exercise, and I need to close the deck door. Shower again!

Lin: what you described when you arrived at class and nothing was ready...that would have been my personal nightmare as a teacher. Being unprepared and late as well! That teacher needs to rethink her career. Never should have happened. You were very patient to sit through the presentation.

Jackie: we are getting new skylights and you are right...the glass does get dirty. Once or twice a year John climbs up on the roof to clean them. We will need to find some service to do that after this year. It is just too dangerous and scary for us. I will not get on ladders. I have enough trouble on flat ground.

Sandy, yes we are used to rain but we really get excited about seeing a little sun.

Keep your sneakers warm and dry...
    Patsy

• delraybuzz
    edited January 2018
    Delightful! Everyone sounds so cheery today...more or less. By the way speaking of ACHHH! My post just erased itself! And CTRL Z is not working! Blast! To repeat a bit, just saw Rebel in the Rye, the biopic of JD Salinger, about his very flawed personality. SANDY, not everyone can learn as beautifully as you what Al Anon teaches! Hope your SIL has better luck next year! And yes, I hope more communities like mine will spread over the world as our populations age! My sister cannot find a similar one in Colorado. ANNE, I recently discovered http://www.j.jill.com and have been very happy with their tops, which have very clever seeming for fit.
    They just about always have 40% to 50% sales going on, so I never pay full price. And telephone Customer Service is wonderful in terms of suggesting flattering styles for my apple figure! JACKIE, good decision re: roofing. With so much rain, glass could be more challenge than you'd want! PATSY, so you teach also! I agree about LIN's group disappointment; in fact about her whole day being miserable! Better day tomorrow, for everybody! I'm still annoyed about my erasure, as I had put lots of time into comments before the gremlins came! Now I'm sleepy!
    <3 Buzz
    ...............................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About to Happen!..............................................
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Yes Buzz, I have had a strange diverse career in my time, art teacher, political communication assistant, (not sure what my title would have been, I worked with the media on PR meetings and press releases , PSAs and political cartoonist and now...personal slave to a labradoodle maniac. I once read that in the last 20years people have averaged 5 different careers in their work life. John says I am the originator of the multi page honey-do list.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    edited January 2018
    No surprises with the weather this morning, mist, drizzle, wind! Scruff's mum phoned to say she'd rather not attempt the moors so we went our separate ways again. She wasn't wrong of course because George had to be taken straight to the shower when we returned due to the layer of mud he brought home on his underbelly and legs but at least he enjoyed the puddles as well as running after stones thrown by me in every direction but definitely nowhere near his face and eyes!! The plasterer is here for his day 2 and is currently spreading a glorious pink over the ceiling that would match Anne's blouse! As he stands on boards straddling a couple of ladders I realise I was perhaps optimistic about painting the ceiling myself as it's so high. Perhaps a roller on a long pole will suffice, if not to keep it pink!!

Yesterday evening I bid on an Autograph M & S dress, still planning my cruise wardrobe and won so having liked it because it's the sort of style I wore 30+ years ago I now have to try to get my shape back to where it was in my 30's or look like mutton dressed as lamb! Incentive if ever I needed it!! Here's the dress....
    s5j75n5v0d8s.jpg

When I've finished my coffee I will drive into town to a friend's to collect a couple of large bags of shredded paper he's been diligently filling over the past couple of months. His son is about to visit for a few days and I'm told the spare room is filled with the bags! It makes ideal bedding for the hens when the weather is cold and they are due their weekly muck out once Jim the plasterer has headed home and I can get down the garden without a struggle.

With the amount of rain we get these days I imagine the new roof will get a thorough wash on a regular basis although I see a company is advertising not just cleaning windows but conservatory guttering and roofs. Dread to think how much that would cost!! One skylight in my kitchen gets dirty but being originally the old piggery so on the ground level it's another area I can reach with a soft broom dipped into soapy water. I'm very tight with my money if it's a job I think I can do myself!!

Yesterday was good for watching what I eat but I was extremely hungry by 5pm so had an earlier evening meal. Baked beans on toast for lunch with a poached egg so I'll experiment with cooking it in the microwave which I'm told is easy.... hmm, we'll see! Think I'll do so before driving into town.

Jackie
  • pinkperil
    The poached egg in a microwave method has its dangers!! First time I tried it was left a few seconds too long and BANG, exploded. :o:o Once the combination oven had been washed and wiped I tried again, this time for a few seconds only and perfect. Lesson learned.... don't get distracted!!
  • jacean2017
    edited January 2018
    JACKIE, great minds think alike, I was looking at a similar M&S dress to the one you have bought and thinking THAT would suit JACKIE. I love the autograph line and as I never go on vacation these days I figure I can indulge in slightly more expensive and lasting clothes as long as I take my time ordering over the year, I will certainly look at the site you advise BUZZ especially as spring approaches. Thank you for posting it.
    By the way you will never look like "mutton dressed as lamb" Jackie. I think as long as we are sensible and don't go overboard on cropped tops and low ride tight pants us oldies look younger than ever today and can certainly hold our own with the younger set! I find the elderly M&S model most elegant.

It's amazing PATSY how many varied jobs we have held in a long life! This especially holds true for us women. We seem to have had a go at most things! To name a few, Me, secretary to a manager, technical drawings on the computer, travel organizer, accountancy, help in a pharmacy, Marks and Spencer's, and on the stage, acting and costume design. These days, like you, dog walker and grower of spuds for commercial use, MINE, lol. Long may we prosper! Then of course there's all the stuff we achieve privately at home both when young and today. JACKIE springs to mind on that one. We could have our own little colony couldn't we, AND survive,

On that optimistic and cheery note I will away Jilly walking while its still relatively mild.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    edited January 2018
    Happy Tuesday! :) Rain turned to snow, so another miserable day. I have no plans so will be staying in again today. Wednesdays through Saturdays are my busiest days so staying home is always nice.

Anne, glad you have some "mild" weather to walk Jilly. I agree that we can wear the clothes we are most comfortable in as long as we don't try to look 21 again. As Patsy said 80 is the new 60 so nothing wrong with dressing the way we feel. I am a sweat pants and sweat shirt kind of girl at home and most times just jeans and a comfortable shirt when out. I do have some nicer clothes for important things but hardly ever wear a dress.

Jackie, love the dress and can tell it will look great on you. You now have two dresses for formal nights, how many does your cruise have? Sounds like a mess in your microwave and glad you figured out the right amount of time. I use a George Foreman grill almost every day to make my dinners. It is so easy, fast and convenient, much better than using my broiler on my stove.

Patsy, you have had an interesting career and with your painting skills and writing things are not slowing down for you.

Buzz, I am also checking out your clothes website although I have so many clothes right now I don't think I need a thing.

Lin, I made my appointment for my yearly physical and I am sure my doctor will want me to get a flu shot. My appointment isn't until the middle of February so I still don't feel like I want one. There is always something event coming up and I am so afraid of getting sick from the shot I keep postponing.

Keep warm, dry or enjoy the sunshine, whichever is appropriate for you.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacean2017
    The shirts arrived. The pink one very spring like. Pleased. Anne.
  • linder4866
    Good afternoon! We had some snow overnight which rendered sidewalks and side streets quite slippery. I did slip over to play Mah Jongg this morning and was pleased to win one hand. We talked and talked and laughed so all in all, very pleasant indeed.

I ran a few errands before coming home to make lunch. Then I got caught up in some paints. And surprise, the afternoon is gone.

Anne, my goodness, you do receive your purchases in no time whatsoever! So glad you are pleased with your springy pink blouse. I have been smearing pink paint today. Not my usual color. I must be yearning for spring as well.

Sandy, well, if you are okay with getting the shot that is fine. I won’t be going in until spring so hopefully the topic will not come up. Haaa.

Jackie, I like the dress as well and think you will look great!! Do you have a wrap to wear in case it is chilly? So a pink ceiling if you cannot reach it to paint? Well, that would be fine for me but I don’t think you would be happy with it. What does George say?

Patsy, what a surprising mix of professions. Good for you. I actually have no doubt should you care to construct a Honey-Do list that you could indeed make one longer than a page.

Buzz, I was in Kohl’s today looking at clearance items and found out they have a Senior discount on Wednesdays. Do not know if I will go back tomorrow.

Well, just took a break to get my mail and turned on my local news. Oh my, my Trader Joe’s store is closed after a small fire in a refrigeration unit. They hope to be open by the end of the week. OMG!!! My life line. Eeeck.

Well, time to sign off for now. Hoping to get to Tai Chi in the morning. I just cleaned out under my garage door as it will freeze again overnight and I want it to continue to go up!

Take care everyone.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Hi everyone, All seems well for the most part. Stay that way!I have gotten myself into a volunteer job, due in the morning. They are certificates of appreciation for whatever, and the fellow doing it now has had a bad problem with hi Parkinson's disease, so I could not refuse. I'll be back tomorrow!
    <3<3<3 Buzz
    ...............................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About to Happen!..............................................
  • pinkperil
    Torrential rain this morning creating rivers of water on footpaths and roads.... certainly not moors weather! Wherever I saw a blockage as I walked in the village I stood and dragged leaves and twigs from gutters with a wellied foot and found it satisfying to see the rushing water drop away through the grids rather than down the road to who knows where. The plasterer tells me he will finish Friday which will be a relief just to get my life back!

Lin ~ Pink might be the new colour this season for blouses and ceilings although I think a coat of paint is required to protect the plaster but I won't rush up any ladders! George grumbles in his sleep as the work continues outside so I think his opinion is not great about any of this at the moment!! A wrap of some sort will be taken just in case it's cool on board in the evenings... better to be prepared! You go carefully on the slippery roads.

Sandy ~ Apparently two formal evenings, one a real dressed up to the nines event so I'm sure my friend and I will compare notes closer to the date of departure to see how we're looking! Luckily that egg was so overcooked the mess was easy to clean up because most was hard lumps! Dared to get on the scales this morning and have gained another lb so something's going wrong!

Anne ~ Another swift delivery from M&S. Are you sure there isn't a store just down the road? LOL. I'm sure you'll love both but the pink does look especially gorgeous. Common sense and experience go a long way to achieving so much as we get older so I agree we'd all be fine if we found it necessary to survive in a remote area.... I'm halfway there anyway. :D

Buzz ~ I see a late night in my crystal ball for you and those certificates since I know you will strive for perfection. Another situation requiring common sense and experience!

I've an eye test this afternoon in a town about 12 miles away that also has a ceramic tile store so I will probably travel earlier to give myself time to do both. The plasterer needs to put a heater on in the garden room to dry things out while the air is so damp and says he will block the hole created for the catflap at the same time to keep the heat in so I will need to be home to let the pusscats with their crossed legs out!

Jackie