Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I think my eyes have gone blind after trying to restore some files from the old computer and I'll try to get back when I can make out the keyboard again! I think my fingers are doing better than I remembered!
    <3 Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    j7l6at8s2a37.jpg
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Thanks, SANDY. I drink the tonic water for thigh and groin cramps that double me up when they strike, but I stopped getting Prevention years ago when I realized they mus be way off base about about things besides Restless Leg Syndrome, about which they know nothing! It is not caused by mscle contractions (cramps) but research is beginning to open up causes besides genetics, such as iron loss in a particular part of the brain. Anyone suffering from it would do well going to "http://www.rls.org"]rls.org[/url] to find the latest honest information. Research going on all over the world with some success but nowhere near enough to believe there is relief in sight soon! I take Pramipexole to help relieve my RLS, but eventually it causes augmentation, at which point I will have to go cold turkey and then the neurologist will have to experiment with something else. I think I mentioned I now have pins and needles in my palms and fingers and my feet as well. You've heard the old saying about the Golden Years are not for the weak! But I find we eventually get used to most condition, one way or another. And I certainly do see conditions in others that leave me grateful!!! I'm so sorry for your was it Lisa's parents' pipe burst! My computer refused to go back to the previous page so I can't check! I spent all afernoon trying to recover certain things from my backup only to discover it is saved for only 30 days! So I should have recovered and restored all these years! I' have to learn to use thumb drives, which I have but could not figure out how to use. I'm only first starting to understand saving to files or folders! I'de save, and then finding things was totally hit and miss! Who knew I could name my own files?
    There was so much I wanted to comment on besides the ghastly weather, but I can't go back to the previous page so I'd better get to bed! Comey's book comes out tomorrow but his comment about "Morally Unfit" really hit home! Yes, indeed, we certainly live in "interesting" times!
    <3 Buzz
    ..................Always Believe Something Unbelievable is About to Happen!........................
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello! It is late but wanted to say, the Comey book was available in excerpts many places. I have read most of it. And I have already said my piece about it. I thought it was an important piece of history. I guess I might buy a hard copy just for historical reference so to speak.

John is threatening to limit my computer and iPad time because I have become a maniac. I am like a petulant teenager. So I have to be good and eat my spinach. “And try to calm down, for gosh sakes! Have a little faith in the laws of the land.” Says John. Okay, I’ll try.
    Patsy
  • Jacean1935
    Jacean1935 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    No snow just yet, it's supposed to start around 9am. Michael turned up unexpectedly yesterday and took me for the groceries although I could have managed fine for the next few days. Personally I think he was bored and wanted some time with The Bean who worships the ground he walks on. Much excited high pitched yelping when he surprised her!

I watch quite a bit of the USA news, Canada being somewhat boring in that department, although things are livening up in the pipe line saga between Alberta and British Columbia. Oh and we've got a serial killer here in custody. 8 poor mens remains have appeared after being buried in giant planters. Horrifying and the police expect to find more as the earth warms up. Suspect was a landscape gardener!
    Therefore has anyone else noticed that the Trump children appear to be keeping a low key these days. Distancing themselves from papa? I'm sure John is right PATSY, sense and justice will prevail as time goes by. Collywobbles in the tum are not good for you in the meantime. Pretend you are watching "Dallas" was it called? That TV series of big hats and even bigger shoulder pads. I shan't buy THE book seeing the TV news seems to have revealed most of the contents.

I tell you, works of fiction are tame in the present world climate!

Never mind, we've survived worse in the past!
    Hugs from Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,187 Member
    Options
    Hi and bye. Tai Chi, Mah Jongg, trip to credit union. Later. I am late already!

Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    I watch a weather forecast telling me it's a beautiful spring day and the sun is shining then I look out of my window at driving rain and wind tossed trees! My decision to live in Cornwall was part based on its balmy climate but of course that was before global warming was heard of..... it might be warming but I'll need an extra layer on when I stand in the groomers van because it's not the warmest day.

My lovely pedicurist has visited so my feet feel wonderful especially with their exotic cream that was massaged in. George's turn as we wait for his groomer but he has already had a brush out after getting soaked on our morning walk thus requiring a rub down with his towel.
    Jackie

• Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Busy day today. Picking up taxes at noon, going to Babes to write checks and mail. Taking his brother's taxes to his rehab place which is quite far from me but his wife doesn't drive and has someone take her at 11:00 and since both signatures are needed I am taking the paperwork to them. She doesn't want me to mail them so I have no idea when she plans on mailing, she wants to look them all over tonight. I also plan on going to the extra bingo tonight in hopes of winning that big jackpot. lol

Time to jump in the shower and get moving before time gets away from me.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    Well, got some errands out of the way while the weather is pretty good! Now tomorrow may be bad but I couldn’t get my grocery discount, that is only on Wednesday. So hopefully I will get there tomorrow.

Seems we are all quite occupied. I need to start on a graduation card. I have never made one before. I think I will just do a congratulations card and try to use his high school colors on it in some manner. I had a thought today that May Day cards would be nice. Just something very simple with a flower or flowers on it. I also have a new binder and hope to start the work for the church soon. Still thinking about what would work best.

I need to pay some bills this evening. I also need to shake the blues. I have been thinking about how my house is falling down around me but I have my handyman. For now. He was here today looking at how to keep my fence up and which boards on my deck need to be replaced. Even with these patches both the fence and the deck are worn out and look horrible. Like me, just trying to keep them going. Without this guy I don’t know how I will be able to live here. Today he said his wife is pressuring him to set a retirement date. I might kind of blow it off but when he was happy in the house down the block from me, she decided they needed a different house and of course. They moved. So she pulls the strings. So I wonder if I should have him replace all the insides of all of my toilets and have new faucets installed, just in case she gets here way. Having him do these things would be so inexpensive compared to a plumbing firm. And then he is also the person mowing my grass and cleaning away the snow. Oh my, a bit overwhelming. I have had him in all emergencies and small things like new smoke detectors, putting in new batteries when I cannot stand on a little ladder to reach. He is my first call on just about every problem.

Sorry, on a rant because I feel helpless. He didn’t think he would sell his business. Sigh. So no replacement.

I will take my sorry self off for a cup of tea.

Hugs.
    Lin
  • Jacean1935
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Oh LIN. So sorry. Have you thought of selling up and maybe renting like SANDY in a decent building and area. Are any of your friends in apartment buildings they would recommend? At least you wouldn't have to worry about repairs, lawn mowing, snow clearing etc (my future problem). However I think if I loved and wanted to stay in the house I would get everything done before things get worse and your handyman is gone. Life never runs smoothly does it. Sympathies sent, Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hi Anne, not trying to moan actually. Truly do not see what I will be able to do but I want to stay in my house as I was in an apt for five years. Man upstairs was walking around at all hours aand then kept food waste up there which attracted in cockroaches which overran the place. I had to whack them with a slipper when I got up in the morning and the basement was alive with a sea of the things in the night. Had to go down to check the power a couple of times. It was like a horror movie. And the guy across from me smoked a horrible smelling pipe every evening. Doors were not secured and rents went up every year. I did not like it a bit.

True that—life is not a smooth path! Always tripping over a stone.

Good night.

Hugs once again.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Ah, today's posts are a sign life can become difficult occasionally, and choices are not always simple or easy! LIN, I have no idea how old you are, but it may figure into which choices you might consider regarding living comfort! You are so involved and busy I would think being near your church and other centers is very important. How old is your house? Is it in a desirable location? Is its value improving? I'm sorry you are losing a trusted handyman!
    SANDY, you are such a fabulous friend and relative, and so willing to help others, who seem to accept your help on their own terms! o:) What is the latest regarding your apartment? Will you remain in the same complex?
    PATSY, I'm wondering if I would actually get to read The Book if I bought it! I'm looking forward to watching Rachel interview Comey Thursday night. She's so smart. We are having my favorite Current Events lecturer tomorrow night (actually, tonight!) but there seems to be such animosity coming from the conservative group that rather than discuss affairs reasonably, they simply get huffy and make a point of getting up and stomping out of our meetings! It even happened in a League of Women Voters meeting, which is non-partisan! I worry about the Meuller investigation being interrupted or stopped as he gets closer to uncovering the facts about laundered money, Russian involvment in our election, family and business involvement in how HE runs our country, and biggest question of all...how the heck does HE keep getting away with everything? There is a huge conflict of interest in owning businesses while heading a country!!! I, for one, believe in open information and we have moved completely away from that with this man a the top! Unless Congress does its job, I hate to remind people this is how coups happen! I see who is moved about in various positions and we may not have the luxury of "waiting until this too shall pass!"---He is putting in extremists who have been rejected by Congresses in the past. This Congress seems to be grabbing anything to remain in power, though huge numbers are also quitting! Who will replace them? The wonderful tax reform will deplete the coffers of Social Security, Medicare, road and bridge repair, and eventually the dissolution of the middle class! This is no time to sit quietly by! The sensible voices on the right seem paralyzed! When everything is labelled fake, phony, crooked, etc, it is coming from the top con artist of all! Be careful what you ignore! I guess you can see I'm truly worried!
    JACKIE, one of the most surprising thing for me on my Scandinavian trip was seeing all the beach activities (nude and otherwise) until I learned the beautiful gulf stream actually ends up crossing the Atlantic as it flows north, ending up in Scandinavia! A warm amazing stream of water actually flowing through the freezing cold Atlantic Ocean! I hope the drinking water is as pure and delicious as I remember! Of course your summer hours are much longer than ours here near the equator, but even so, I recall having only a few dark hours as we went further north. I was also surprised at the late evening hours in Britain as I think I was not aware of how much more north the Isles are than Massachusetts. Eventually, you will warm up! Will someone be staying in your house when you travel? You have such a wonderful number of dear pets!
    ANNE, what a fearsome thing to be reading about! Beware landscape gardeners!!! You are right to be wondering where the children have hidden! WIth their upbringing, are they much different than their father? Yes, life can be stranger han fiction!
    Has anyone else's computer lost the spell check ability? Mine has!
    I'm totally unprepared for my house cleaning (today) but I'm going to bed anyway!
    <3 Buzz
    .....................Always Believe Something is About to Happen! But What?............................
  • Jacean1935
    Options
    That's what has worried me from the beginning of your country's latest four year reign, BUZZ. The makings of a dictator. Everyone poo poos such a thought but no one expected a ridiculous looking little corporal with a moustache to manage it with gullible people after an earlier depression in the thirties! Heartbreaking images from my childhood now being shown on TV....but.....we never learn! Thank you for explaining it all so very clearly. I don't understand how he's getting away with it either!

Didn't think you were moaning LIN, just justifiably worried about how things are unfolding as time moves on. I lived in a very nice apartment building for five years as well before moving here, BUT I had Miss Becky my little black cat in those days and DID worry about insecticides because no trace of insect infestations but definitely a strong smell of something. Thanks for reminding me! I was tremendously lucky during the ice and wind storm because apparently ice got under many roof shingles and now there's a line up of people with leaks and wanting repairs. Once you own a home it's just a steady stream of one thing after another I'm afraid. I sometimes think my 100 year old house has fewer problems than the new ones going up around me!

BUT the BIG news is, the weather appears to be finally in a warming trend. Another couple of months and we will all be swooning from the humidity! And my window air conditioner will be struggling to keep me and The Bean cooler!
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    edited April 2018
    Options
    When I got up at 7 this morning the windows were still wet with rain and it was gloomy but by 8.30 the sky had cleared and the sun was out!! Off to the moors George and I trekked and enjoyed a brilliant hour and a half wandering, taking in the scenery and chatting to locals as well as tourists finding their way to ancient areas with their maps..... of an age to be looking at a paper one rather than smartphone!!! George found the largest rock on the moor to jump on to for his treat!

3wh1xcudp9ey.jpg

Since we got back home George has been showered and shampooed, the hens have been checked and a fresh cabbage hung on a hook for their entertainment and a large load of laundry hung out to dry although the breeze is whirling the rotary line so quickly I have to keep an eye in case something flies off into the shrubs!

Lin ~ My main purpose of taking out a life mortgage was a slight worry about the future staying where I am so apart from the garden room which I adore even before the decorating is finished, I have a contingency plan should I need repairs. It could be your handyman's wife would like a lot of jobs done at home and is fed up with him going off to help others. I only say that because a friend's ex was a plumber and would get called out all hours to sort leaky loos or broken down heating systems but would not spend time on their own requirements.... hence now the ex!! Try not to let things slip beyond anything you can deal with but also don't rely on anyone being around forever because life rarely works out the way we'd like. I feel for you because you seem content in your house whatever the problems but we're all getting older!!

Sandy ~ So did you win the BIG one at bingo last night? You do seem quite luck when it comes to winning so you never know and certainly deserve a reward for the running round for others that you do.

Anne ~ Having just spoken to my phone asking it what your weather is doing I gather you aren't above freezing yet but then it is early in the morning. What a long winter but thank goodness no damage to your property.

Buzz ~ The Scandinavians are renowned for streaking around in the deep snow in little or nothing so we are prepared for all sights!! At the moment they are getting our weather a few days later as you are right, the Gulf stream is pushing up and over us in that direction. It's something I always delight to see on a forecast when arrows point up from the Azores.... yipeee, warmth at last!!

I must get on so will leave you all with a link to a video about the organisation that runs the hen rescues. It's very sweet!

https://www.facebook.com/theguardian/videos/10156789024221323/?hc_ref=ARR7-AUTRTlNfuEEJfmJX5GKAGHjhK48hPHugxGN8Wh7sGr2ONKkorRitLUX7HTaxl0&mc_cid=509bd1a44a&mc_eid=09a1b78a34

Jackie
  • Jacean1935
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Loved the video JACKIE, and our George on his perch. If I get a new lease of life in the old country, I will most definitely get me a Clara Cluck.
    Anne. Its now plus 3 and we've just had a crunchy but pleasant walk.
  • Sandydur
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) No win at bingo and I needed just one more square to have a chance at the $13K but of course didn't get it. Will try again next week. Not sure about bingo tonight as they are calling for 1-3 inches of snow, seriously, in April? I am speaking at my meeting tomorrow so will need to prepare my talk today so I better not waste time on the computer. I also haven't ridden my bike in two days so that is a must for today.

Anne, brave soul to walk on a crunchy walk, you are indeed a good mommy.

Jackie, love, love, love the picture of George, it is indeed a framer. I think that is why I like renting, not having to worry about repairs. Of course you have to have a good landlady/lord that takes care of the place for which I am very spoiled. The bad is always the chance of having to move again such in my case. But a condo or townhouse if owned is usually maintained outside by the association, so there is that. I can't afford to buy a place so I will continue to rent until I can't take care of myself. How sad for those chickens but so happy they are being given new and happy homes.

Buzz, I do understand your rant about our current leader but writing our congressmen doesn't seem to do anything so hopefully he won't destroy the world before the next election. I guess I am the type of person who always believes good over evil and pray for a happy ending.

Lin, I would have been out of that apartment in a flash. I hate roaches and critters that make my skin crawl including mice. I have been very fortunate here and have only seen one ant and in the summer a wasp got in from outside. I know you love your house so maybe your handyman can refer you to another handyman. In the meantime have him do as much as you can afford.

Patsy, hope all is well on your side of the country.

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    Options
    I have read your snow reports, now I feel guilty sitting on my swing seat in 17c sunshine sipping a cuppa! Not as much weeding done as i imagined I'd do but at least it's slowly taking shape. Playing with the phone here's my view with washing hanging out, pruned fuscia on the grass and buckets of pulled weeds LOL
    bavp5w7dp571.jpg
    Time to get washing in and folded then decide on an evening meal. Perhaps I'll get on my bike too Sandy
  • Jacean1935
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Home sweet home JACKIE, put the kettle on. Exodus of us poor northerners imminent, lol. Hey, you never know, maybe we could buy a communal place, especially if SANDY wins big! I'm British of course but every one else could claim immunity from a certain old man! Lol. In the end though I fancy Norfolk when my dads family originated from.
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello darling sneakers! All is well here. We have partial sun. A bit warmer now and warmer days promised ahead. I am saying my thanks and doing a happy dance.

I watched Comey on the Stephen Colbert show last night. I was so impressed! He handled himself with grace and poise. I have always felt Colbert could be rather juvenile and quite silly at times (did I just say that?) anyway my takeaway was that Comey was thoughtful and reasoned and ethical. I have an ongoing constituate relationship with our senators and legislators. Because I have worked on many volunteer efforts for family involved in state and local politics, I fuss and fume and write and call my representatives often. Just to put your mind at ease about your contacting them. Your letters, calls and emails do matter. Staff reads and uses constituents concerns in the aggregate to help legislators know where and how to throw their support. It is how we as a democracy is supposed to work.(not always works that way...)

Enough about that! Ordering new spring clothes, new collar and leash for Katie since she ate her leash recently. Good grief!

Oh my! Jackie! What a delightful cottage you have. Your garden room is just perfect. It looks like it has been there from the beginning. You planned well. I love the trellis gate. I’ll bet that is lovely when covered in blossoms in the summer.

Lin: your concerns about home maintence is a song I sing all the time. John will not own up to being a “bit” older and just can’t do everything. So we depend on advice and recommendations from people at lumber yard and Home Depot. Senior centers also have recommendations for maintenance assistance. We go from emergency to emergency. You may spend more but it is your home! Where better to make an investment? Getting your home set up for aging in place is a bit costly but for us it is well worth it. Not for everyone but for us at this time it is a good plan. We are even looking at putting in a dumbwaiter, I think they are called. Used to move things from one floor to the other.

Aging but I will not admit it to anyone. 80 is the new 60 or 65 at the most!
    Patsy

• delraybuzz
    Options
    OMG, ANNE, you know exactly what my thoughts are and yes indeed, that's exactly how Hitler took over! Mob exaltation! And the invulnerable leader! I see it happening around me in the way his followers see no evil, hear no evil, and continue to blame crooked H. and Not-an-American Obama for everything! (Trump never apologized for that lie, nor has he rescinded it!) Thank you for reading it!
    Love your home and garden, JACKIE. You do wonders with your little castle!
    SANDY, I wouldn't want to change you for anything in this world.. Perhaps I wish I could borrow your rose-colored glasses, but then, who would assume my worries?
    PATSY, my doctor told me 90 is the new 70, so I'm not as "mature" as I thought!The dumb waiter is a slendid idea, or a chair that takes you up stairs mechanically. Planning ahead makes a huge difference! I rather suspected you were locally involved in volunteering and admire your perseverence! I wish I had known about Stephen Colbert and Comey. I think Rachel is having him Thursday. I do believe Comey is honest though a bit rash! His decision just before the election certainly didn't harm the man he now considers so dangerous! It will be interesting to watch as thigs start folding in. My cleaning helper told me of one of the things the Russians claim happened with the Orange wonder and Russian prostitutes and it's no wonder he's getting frantic and dropping salvos at other countries to divert attention!. I really went overboard with online catalogues and have promised myself no more spring clothes, even if they ARE on sale!
    Running late, as usual. Love you all!!!
    <3 Buzz
    ..................Always Believe what means the most to you!!!........................