Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,193 Member
    Options
    Hello, a day of rain, sleet, snow, wind and then a stop to all the precipitation with temps near freezing. Close enough to winter weather for me. But tomorrow, oh yes, tomorrow is expected to be better.

This morning the weather was miserable but since it was discount day at the grocery store, I drove over to scoop up a couple of bargains. Unfortunately that’s about all I was able to find at that location. Next week I hope the weather will cooperate for traveling to the store I visited last week. It is much better for me.

I have started on a few little paper violet bouquets. Just cutting them out after finding a free image, downloading it, resizing it and printing it on card stock. I cannot find any suitable greeting for a May Day card though. It seems there are several old poems, too long for my project and many images and sayings appropriate for a May Day revolution. Please don’t get any ideas!!!

I listened to a financial planning webinar around lunchtime. That prompted me to do a year over year comparison of my little treasure trove of assets. :D:D:D:D it wasn’t as horrible as I’d anticipated.

So the questions that pop up these days are just too uncomfortable and often without answers. I will do what I can. Just as I tried to find ways to get organic fresh vegetables delivered, if needed, or to find a way to get to the store if unable to drive ended in no acceptable answer at this point I am sure there will be many more issues that will require creative maneuvers.

Patsy, I had already decided to look into having a lift installed to get from floor to floor of this house. So good for you, looking ahead. I am going to get the name and phone number of a handyman my friend mentioned last week. She intends to use this guy as rates are reasonable and her friend has been using him for some time with good result. I will try to keep a little list of recommendations as I hear them.

Anne, better weather headed your way. Wahoo! Hopefully no more crunchy walks for you and Miss Jill. I am happy that we are on the other side of the storm line. North of us snow accumulations today are five to eight inches. Oh, just looked outside, it started snowing again. Rats.

Sandy, yes, it was difficult to stay in the buggy place but it was not buggy when I moved in, just smelly from the pipe smoke. Haaaa. I wasn’t there much as I worked all sorts of hours and then was gone all weekend. I didn’t think of moving at that time as it was complicated. My husband said he was moving here and we were looking at houses and acreages and later I would have had no support from family if I looked for another apartment. The consensus was I should just quit and move out of the area. When I bought this house I packed everything and moved boxes myself and then got a Rental van for the things I could manage to wrestle into the truck. Finally had a cheap company bring over my heavy furniture. Low cost, loads of work! Good luck with the meeting tomorrow and super good luck at any and all Bingo jackpots!

No jackpots for me but I did win two of the three Mah Jongg games yesterday. That is a very good day.

Jackie, Love, Love, Love, the picture of George, Master of all he surveys!! What a darling. And I adore your house, your garden. I love seeing something growing! Nothing growing here yet. Oh, and yes, wash on the line. Color me jealous.

Buzz, you are on the move all the time! If you give up your worries then good for you. No one needs to take them up as there are many many people with similar concerns. Far too many actually.

And just for good measure yes, I know things will always change and life can change in the blink of an eye but looking at the probabilities, my handyman is now only in his mid-50s and I am working my way out of my 60s. He has two children and both are in college I believe. His wife is younger than he so odds favored that I should no longer need his services before he decided to give it up if his health remains good. So we will see what we shall see as time passes.

Still snowing. Slowly.

Hugs dearest Sneakers. I appreciate your concern and your kindness.

Lin
  • Jacean1935
    Jacean1935 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My grandson has not only moved into an apartment in the city near his work, he's also acquired a little friend.

Please welcome baby Hobbes to our little family of super pets. Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Jacean1935 wrote: »
    My grandson has not only moved into an apartment in the city near his work, he's also acquired a little friend.

Awwwwwwwwwww! Cute <3

Lin :)
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Oh how sweet! The kitten will be such fun for your grandson, Anne. My son found two newborn feral kittens in a trash dumpster when he was in college. He raised these babies and had them 22 years. Little Hobbe will be a joy to watch as he grows up and he will indeed be a new family member we will enjoy hearing about. Is that a calico or a tortoise shell colored kitten?
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Jacean1935 wrote: »

Adorable Anne and good looking enough to be in movies!! LOL Something to come home to is such a precious thing so he obviously has your family genes to feel the need of a pet.

Lin ~ Even just keeping the thought in mind that certain tasks on or in your home need to be tackled at some stage is a great start and you are the sensible one and won't have any problem making the right choices because you obviously did just that when splitting with your husband. We are a similar age and lifestyle so I know how burdensome home ownership can be but the alternative could also be a lot worse!!

It's such a beautiful day George and I walked for well over an hour this morning taking in the views. The ponies are producing foals that canter about the open country and the first few lambs are also enjoying the sunshine. I could hear the herd of cattle but luckily far, far away so not avoidance required! Skylarks are singing and the gorse bursting forth and filling the air with its scent.
    xkfdc0q7yc0b.jpg

Coffee is brewing while I must go and change into lighter clothing because halfway round the walk I had to duck into a dip, well actually a collapsing mine shaft, and strip down to remove a cotton vest before putting my hoodie back on. No one in sight, at least I didn't see anyone!

The coffee has stopped its chortling so I'll go pour a cup and get outside.... a 2nd coat of paint on the outside of the garden room first.

A hug to everyone I've missed this morning.
    Jackie
  • Jacean1935
    Options
    It was so dark this morning, we've only just got up! Really late for me!
    What was that saying JACKIE!
    KISSING IS OUT OF FAVOUR WHEN THE GORSE IS OUT OF BLOOM.
    Meaning there's always a wee flower somewhere on the gorse bush, but they really outdo themselves in the spring!

Well, I've reinstated the professional grass mowers now that Darren has departed for gorse bushes and pastures new! I become penniless again in May along with everyone else who lives in a house and is aging! Never mind, they did a very good job in the past with lovely sharp edges to the lawn.

Mark was over and has finally decided to throw in the towel and call in a plumber!
    Oh happy day and I won't have to pay!.........Hey a poem PATSY.
    Full of the joys of spring, puppies, kittens, and flowering bushes,
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Anne ~ There certainly is nearly always a splash of bright yellow somewhere in my neighborhood although the Beast from the East managed to finish off what was around at the time of its arrival. So sharp edges and a fast flowing hot water tap into your bath.... you won't know yourself. :D

In from the heat having finished painting another coat on the outside low wall of the garden room I thought I'd search anything about violets and there is a classic Mark Twain one but first this struck home after reading recent posts from the other side of the pond

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Perhaps that's why certain individuals are finally speaking out!

Anyway back to violets, this one is quite painful if too much thought is given to it

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.

Ouch!!!

Cooled off so back outside I go to spread gravel where it's needed then plant up a few sweet pea(s) and once the sun has cooled the hen house will be cleaned out.

Jackie

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) I had a big win at bingo last night, I won $500 on a pull tab and also a $50 bingo game. I am getting closer to saving for my Florida, Graduation and Hawaiian trips.
    Today is my meeting which I am speaking and lots of errands to follow.

I love all the pictures especially our newest furry member Hobbes, could he be any cuter?

I really don't have time this morning but wish you all the best day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Jacean1935
    Options
    Love the sayings JACKIE, especially the violet one. So very true!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Good day!! Another scrumptiously lovely photo from Jackie. Very nice. Such a wonderful sky!

Now who has a very short couple of lines for a May Day card? The fronts of the cards are almost finished. I could just write in Happy May Day but if someone has a better idea, I would appreciate it.

Nice day. Early Tai Chi class then off to meet the ladies at the library. What a surprise! Our friend with the brain tumor had her husband drive her over this morning and the friend with the newly replaced shoulder had her husband drop her off as well. Lots of catching up, lots of hugs, much concern and vows to keep in touch. Our friend goes to Iowa City next week to for follow up exams and to schedule her biopsy surgery so that she can receive radiation therapy. Not a cure but to slow the growth and perhaps to relieve some of the pressure. There are many risks though. It will probably be scheduled for sometime in June.

After our meeting time, I took my friend with the new shoulder home as her hubby was at work and she cannot drive yet since she cannot pull the seatbelt strap over to hook it up. She tried a test drive with her husband recently and she is able to drive but she just cannot do the seatbelt and you cannot drive without that!

So home, lunch, emails and then outdoors once again. I used the little electric trimmer to hack off some of each of the shrubs in front of my house. The trimmer needs help. It hasn’t been cleaned and sharpened in years and years. I did searching and so far have only found one place who said they would look at it and if they could sharpen the blade that would be fine but if the blade needs to be replaced I am out of luck. It may be this model is too old to have blades available. Who knows? I will work on it.

Then robo vacuum and I went outdoors and dumped out dirt and cleaned out the brush. I have been thinking about names but nothing really fits. I thought Herbert R. Robo Vac. Either Herbie or Robbie for short. We will see. He is ready to go again. Someday I need to bring down the base station and the vacuum to try some downstairs rooms.

Sandy, WTG. You are our lucky Sneaker for certain. Congrats on the win.

Patsy, are you sharing in the sunshine today?

Anne, at least your lawn will be well trimmed and immaculate. That is something mine never is. He mows when he mows, he cuts what he cuts, he trims when he trims. There is no rhyme, reason or schedule. It is when he has time. The professionals seem to have a very strict schedule around here and they mow regardless of the weather, but not lightning. Otherwise they always seem to be out.

I am going to make a cup of tea.

Good evening all. All best wishes.

Hugs.

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Oh my yes! The sun is out and things are warm and springIke. Dearest John is in my bathroom under the sink fixing a small persistent leak. Everything from under the sink has been removed and I have been charged with going through and tossing things that I don’t use...never will use...haven’t ever used! Hard for me to toss things like that. Why? Odd frugal behavior.

I remember my days in catholic school we actually had a maypole with crapepaper streamers and paper flowers. We sang songs and then went about the neighborhood hanging little handmade paper baskets and handmade paper flowers with mayday wishes on people’s front doorknobs. That is a tradition that has long been lost! Too bad. “May your May Day be blooming with friendship!” “Friends are the flowers of life’s garden” “In the garden of friendship, water often with kindness, every blossom is a kiss from Mother Earth.”
    I guess you can tell I am a bit of a sentimental goof.

It will be warm and sunny for a few days. Lawn mowing and spring cleanup. I am not sure what happened but I remember, in the past, sitting around enjoying the sunshine. Now we quick dive into action while the sun is still shining. No lazing about! I loved lazing about!
    Patsy

• Jacean1935
    Options
    Quotes. Well there's that poem:-
    "Call me early mother dear, for I'm to be queen of the May."
    Or:-
    " April showers bring May flowers."
    Or:-
    "The darling buds of May."

Yes, I can remember skipping around a maypole and making a mess of the silk ribbon pattern, thus no longer being allowed to skip around a maypole! You had to weave in and out with the other kids to make a braided effect on the pole. I guess I outed when I should have inned.
    I remember being ever hopeful, but never chosen to be May queen being somewhat skinny and plain. Some Shirley Temple look alike got to wear the crown of hawthorn blossom or may as we called the pretty white flowers.

Maria came over for the afternoon. She was escaping her husband for a while. He is suffering from the dreaded brain deterioration. So sad, and just as they retire. I want to help her so much, but all I can really do is sympathize and listen. I did manage to get her laughing about something rude my old friend, also suffering the same, once said to me. Tact seems to go out of the window with this awful disease. No, I'm not going to tell you what she said. It was very rude! But once I realized she was actually in a downward spiral, very funny! I think it helped Maria who is suffering from some of the same.
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Back shortly!
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    My timing is just so bad, as usual! Busy day today, again. Our Special Dinner was supposed to be in Indonesia. Cook must hae put tons of work into preparation and it looked lovely. Main dish was a bowl conaining a choice of broth base (Mine was coconut) and I chose chicken and then itwas loaded with noodles, vegetables and additions available of shaved ginger, hot peppers, scallions, etc. Sounds fabulous. Unfortunately no matter what we added, it was TASTELESS! I felt so bad for the staff, Servers, chefs, everyone really knocked themselves out and it fell flat! The dessert sort of saved the day; some sort of mango/chocolate thing. At least the company was lovely!
    Spent several hours checking almost 200 emails, some overlooked that were important, others deleted immediately, but time consuming!
    Darn,, Trump just announced he's adding Rudy Giuliani to his staff! It gets scarier! He will do his crooked darndest to fire Mueller!
    LIN...Oh no, SNOW? Still you have had a busy day again. I'm happy your financial outlook was a nice surprise! You are still relatively young and have time for extensive planning for your future. My eldest daughter was born in 1949 so I suspect she's a similar age. It blows my mind to have a daughter approaching 70! Sympathy for your friend with the brain tumor. I went through that with my dear husband #2! His was inoperable and radiation did not help. I hope hers is in a better area.
    ANNE, little Hobbes has the most adorable face! Irresistable! PATSY asked if it is a calico; if so, he's a she! Your dear friends have a tough road ahead. Perhaps there are support groups for caregivers available!
    JACKIE, your descriptive powers make me want to scream WRITE, WRITE, WRITE! The photo must be the gorse you mentioned, and I can almost smell it! It is not familiar to me. And collapsed mine shaft? Might that not be dangerous? Sounds like your weather has finally turned!
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." MAHVELOUS, Dahling! I feel less guilty! Thank you!
    SANDY---WAHOO! Nice strart to your vacations! Happy for a deserving lady!
    PATSY, what lovely Mayday quotes! Do make some time for you and JOHN to enjoy lazing about together! Those times are what you will remember!
    My goodness, I almost lost my day number streak earlier! At least I made it back! Now I must quickly make a birthday card for a dear friend with Parkinson's, with whom I'm eating tomorrow. I have cut way back on making cards, and am truly sorry!
    eceived a message from the daughter of my late eldest cousin and she will be down from Boston next Thursday and wants to meet for lunch. I'm so excited as I get to see her perhaps every couple of years! I haven't much family left!
    <3 Buzz
    Always Believe, etc, etc, etc,!

• pinkperil
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Another beautiful day so of course we Brits with our ironic sense of humour have decided this is our summer.... make the most!! We've walked through the woods and across the fields with Scruff and her mum back from their seaside retreat. Seems they had a wonderful time with miles of beach walks. George had his booster shot at the vets yesterday and usually gets a bit quiet for 24 hours but not this time as he races about when not barking at who knows what. Not sure the dog carer knows what he's letting himself in for but at least lives on a quiet street so hopefully not too much for George to shout at. :|

Patsy ~ Now I know where your propensity to leave painted stones in quiet places for folk to discover comes from.... crepe paper Spring flowers! A couple of days ago while walking across the moor with another dog walker I'd bumped in to she showed me just such a stone found on a rock nearby and her delight was obvious. I'll have to look around me more when next up that way.

Sandy ~ A brilliant win and all for such a good cause. You do deserve it and I'm sure your visit will feel even more special because you've saved winnings.

Lin ~ When I first moved into this area we had a wonderful man who travelled the country making a living sharpening garden and kitchen implements. Anne will remember we called them Tinkers but not sure that's PC any more since most labels from the past seem to offend today. We do have a wonderful tool repair and hire business in our local town that doesn't charge too much but of course it's always best to weigh up if new would be the cheaper option, not that new lasts as long these days! Sometimes I think my days are busy but you beat me hands down!!

Buzz ~ Difficult to imagine how Indonesian cuisine could ever be tasteless so what a shame. I expect the good company made up for it though AND the mango/chocolate dessert!! My writing days as well as thoughts of picking up a paint brush again are stymied because everything else now seems to take 4 times longer although perhaps the trick is to do a Buzz and stay up half the night!! Certainly when I was younger and planning retirement pleasures I didn't take into account my body's decision to complain at every move!!

Anne ~ If there was one thing I learned when working in the community assisting carers like your neighbour it was how damned difficult it was to see a loved one's personality alter to such an extent and yet still show a ghost of the person they once were. It must be so painful and confusing but then humour can sometimes be the best antidote even in small doses. My father became outrageous at times but seeing the funny side helped tremendously so I'm sure your neighbour will be feeling better for her chat with you.

As ever, things to do so I'll wish you all a happy Friday and get on.

Jackie
  • Jacean1935
    Options
    My poor neighbour came into my house looking listless and so much older than her 65 years, but she left looking much happier JACKIE. A belly laugh is the best cure of all. Her husband had showed violence the first time ever and I've asked her to leave rapidly and come over here to phone her sons if he starts chucking things at her again. She's such a wee, slim, gentle soul and he seems to be trying to isolate her and getting jealous of the grands. So sad, as she says up to this disease just a nice normal European man, head of the household as it were.

Tinkers! Not to be confused with the Romany gipsies. I remember them well, AND they remain tinkers in my vocabulary until I snuff it. Honest what a daft world we live in when our language has to become politically correct! They had a word for us as well, but I can't remember it so it obviously didn't leave any scars on my psyche, lol. Bet they continue to use it. It began with a G I think.

So I wish you all a good day, painting stones, making cards, gardening, eating exotic dinners, playing bingo and generally being more productive than me and The Bean hopefully waiting for the plumber. And remember in Shakespeare's day it wasn't so very different.
    "Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May."
    Cheers,
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Off to Tai Chi. We will be smack in the middle of the student walk out this morning. Our building is next door to the Hugh school. We have been told to expect police. I don’t really know the exact time this is planned. The rally at the State House is 11am. I think the walkout time may be 10am but I am certain police and news crews and God knows who else will be on the scene all day. Ack.

Well, hope everyone keeps their cool! Fingers crossed.

I remember long lazy spring days, skipping classes, sitting outdoors with friends or by myself drinking in the spring air with the sun warming my body and just pondering life. The days were endless and lovely. Today the days may be the same but I am not. I am not moving at the same pace and the things that occupy my mind are far different. Ah for the stupidity of my youth. It was glorious.

Must run (at my snail’s pace).

Hugs.

Lin
  • Jacean1935
    Options
    Just had a big hug from Darren across the street. He flies out to the u.k. today. 25 deg in Cambridge yesterday Jackie.
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Overcast this morning but no rain and this might be a marine layer that will burn off! Hope hope! It is beloved TRASH day. It is so good to unload for yet another week.

John spent yesterday fixing the bathroom sink. He was exhausted last night. This morning he got the trash out to the main road quite early. Now he crawled back into bed for a nap while I fix the coffee and feed the crazy little blonde. Katie acts like a ditzy but she is crazy like a fox!

Friday was always a special day. The beginning of the weekend. Even though every day is Friday in retirement...friday still feels special. We will try to do something entertaining. Movie? Trip to the book store and or TJMAX. I need new place mats for spring. It isn’t a glamorous new restaurant but small towns offer small but sweet diversions.

Jackie: I painted a little green frog on a Lilly pad on a larger stone and I saw the man who picked it up. It was hilarious. He saw it and stared at it a long time and then looking furtively around he picked it up and put it in his backpack. He marched off with a huge grin on his face. That! Dear sneakers was the whole idea. Spread a bit of fun.
    I see a patch of blue sky...and the weekend begins!
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) I am sitting for the boys later and I am very happy about that. I miss my Fridays with them and hope they are happy to see me. My son and his wife finally made it to Illinois where they found out that their new house which they thought would be done by May won't be finished until June. They are staying with Laurie's sister but they are coming here next week for a few days to give everyone a break. They are also going to try to come to Florida with me to spend some time with us since they have never seen my daughter's house.
    I am very excited about us all being together so I hope it works out.

Anne, I bet some tears were shed with the hug which is a good thing. It is so nice of you to be there for your neighbor but if he is becoming violent it might be time for a care home. I do hope she is involving her children for her own safety.

Lin, I too, remember those lazy days of summer and the maypole. It was a safe time where we left the house and just had to be home by the time the streetlights came on. Fun times!!

Jackie, lucky you getting some summer time weather. We actually have a spring day with warmer weather and sunshine. I think George is really going to miss you when you are gone. Be sure to tell his keeper to give him lots of hugs. I remember a man with a cart that sharpened knives and sang out Rags, old iron but it sounded like rags a line. ( I had to look it up on google). The good old days. :D

Buzz, for some reason I see no profile picture on your post, could be my computer since I just cleared all my cookies. I would have to pass on the Indonesian cuisine tasteless or not. I am a fuzzy eater and more of a salad, meat and veggie type of girl. lol

Patsy, once you get the tidying up done, you can be lazy with John and Katie.

Enjoy your day, I am finishing up laundry and then hope to enjoy mine.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time