Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends. A cool and damp one here and I'm running late for the doggy walk just because it looks so uninviting out there.
    My laptop has now given up working although I've tried all the tricks one can find online to get it going again. I would hate to lose all my photos and documents so even if I buy a new one I will hopefully find a way of retrieving them. Serves me right, I hadn't backed up files for years!!
    Back later once I've walked... can't decide whether to face the moors or head for the woods.
    Jackie

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I think I'd rather face the fire JACKIE along with Betty, but too late, I bet you are back home by now!
    Hugs, Annie.
  • pinkperil
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It was the woods in the end but I gather we now have to be careful because cases of Alabama Rot are breaking out in the UK and a few already in Cornwall. I think woodlands are probably the worst places to walk the dogs so in future I'll just have to be brave, don my waterproofs and head for them thar hills!! The good news is I've repeated the "easy way" to persuade my laptop to light up again and blow me, slowly but surely it's got itself going. Lesson learned, I'll back everything up at the weekend!

A new heater for my shower room was delivered this afternoon but unpacking it I see it has a plug rather than wires to fit into a wall socket as is the norm in bathroom or shower room so I'm hoping if I cut the plug off I can create the wires needed to connect to the socket. Also, I've been searching everywhere for a ceiling light fixture with a pull cord attached but nothing in the UK as far as I can tell. It turns out the image I had in my mind that would have been perfect only pops up on American or Canadian websites so I'd obviously seen them when living on the other side of the pond. Although I could get one mailed to me, the voltage is all wrong.... BLAH!! Meanwhile it continues to drizzle outside while I get nowhere with all the jobs I have lined up before my hip replacement!!
    A page has turned so I won't look back in case I have to start again but will respond to Sandy's question about a tv channel of quiz programmes. Ours is called Challenge TV and as far as I've ever looked, has quiz shows going back 30 years!! It's a late afternoon viewing choice for me with a cup of tea and there's always plenty of current ones running.

Later in the day but as Anne suggested, it will be a good idea to light the fire now but see what few chores I can achieve.
    Jackie

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,128 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Meeting day even though the wind chill is a minus 8 degrees. I have to get some groceries after the meeting, old mother hubbard's cabinets are bare. Babe is mailing my check to me because of the weather and had his son mail it. Will I get it??? lol

My brain is still tired so I will just say good morning to all.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,187 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hello, I finally got here. The community section of the site has just been spinning for me. And if I tried to refresh I was booted back to the home page/newsfeed. I rebooted my iPad, no luck, finally this last time the site required that I login again, and surprise, I have arrived.

Sunny, cold and quite windy here today so I am staying home. I am having problems with my overhead garage door and my handyman just blew me off when I tried to talk to him when he was here yesterday. He was doing a bit of shoveling, I was sweeping out the gunk that drops off the bottom of your car after you’ve been out on the nasty streets and parking lots. The stuff melts and runs to the door, but doesn’t seep out, just piles up and freezes along the bottom of the door. So I went out three or four times afternoon and evening, put some ice melt along the edge of the door and spread out two bath towels to catch the melting water. What a pain but it worked and the two towels were dripping wet and partially frozen. Oh my. It will be a long winter me thinks.

I did just drive out over the snow and plowed through the snow filled street yesterday afternoon. The main roads were just fine. So I did a number of my errands since our forecast was for very cold wind chills today. I had thought that wouldn’t arrive until tonight. Home until Sunday now and very happy I went out yesterday.

Sandy, best wishes on your travels today. I hope you get everything at the store that you want. And I hope your check arrives. Fingers crossed for you.

Jackie, isn’t it frustrating when you know what you want but just cannot locate it? I always think Google is playing with me or something. It must exist and it cannot be that difficult to find. Due to the recent inclement weather, a food order has been delayed out there somewhere. I hope FedEx finds it again. Well done on trying to revive the laptop one more time. It was the charm! Excellent.

Anne, I am with you, inside in the lovely warmth, oh yes! Perhaps I am now too wimpy to have a dog. My neighbor is out walking his tiny little dog three or four times a day. She wears a cute little coat and he is so proud to lead her around. He and his wife normally divide the walking duties, one for him, one for her, the other two they walk together. However she took a spill and broke her wrist so there is no dog walking for her at this point.

Hello Buzz, Patsy, Karen, Jeri, Marie, Diane and all our Sneaker pals.

Hugs. Be safe.

Lin

• Gawanne35
    Options
    Mark popped by to salt drive
    Took The Bean to the mailbox because very slippery out
    Came back with letter from Canada Revenue.
    Trembling, opened letter to see what I owed AND......
    I don't owe them anything!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Wonderful news Anne <3<3<3
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Ditto, ANNE!
    Sorry about the shower, JACKIE.
    SANDY, hope the mail gets through for you,
    Hi Lin and everyone. Hard to type with elbow up in the air, so I'm just checking in :s
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    Options
    I'm just checking in too before driving to optician to collect new reading glasses. Heard from hospital that my hip procedure will be February 6th so had to phone Occupational Therapy because my appointment to check my aid requirements was the 12th... A lack of communication somewhere! Now seeing them next Thursday. Scruff's mum happy to look after George and Betty so we have lift off, just need to stock up food cupboards. ;)
    Better get on as I remember last week's trip to optician was fraught with roadworks!!

Great news ANNE and I hope that includes the $200.

Happy Friday to everyone.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Safe travels Jackie. The countdown begins, February 6th will be here soon.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Gawanne35
    edited January 2019
    Options
    JACKIE, Glad you don't have to wait too long to get the surgery over and done with, and Spring should help with recovery.
    I got a letter from CR listing everything with the conclusion balance owing $0. Mark who is a tax accountant wasn't sure how they came to that conclusion but Mike who isn't a tax accountant says it's not good PR to go harassing old ladies for, to them, paltry amounts, and THEY made the mistake - not yours truly. Don't want egg on their faces in other words. If true, I'm ecstatic because it means I can treat me and The Bean to a very expensive lamb chop for Sunday dinner. After thought - Must tackle Michael - who's he calling an old lady! Cheeky.

Brrrrr. The cold continues.....and it gets worse into February. Mike tried to buy me doggie pee pads and our Costco is out of stock, wonder why, lol.

So life is pretty dull which I'm very happy about but doesn't make for scintillating reading. Such as, hopefully grocery stock up day.
    Hope it continues this way,
    Annie.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    I'm home with new reading glasses, dog treats, a knitted sweater found in a sale and comfy slippers that so long as I can pull on to my feet after the procedure will be safer than the mules normally worn. It's turned into a lovely day, mild and sunny so I'm now going to paint what is hopefully a last needed coat on the low wall inside my garden room that was splattered with dirty water when the floor was tiled.

Anne, it could well be a supervisor checked your file and decided they should not be pursuing you but whoever it was, definitely the correct thing to do... enjoy your lamb chops!!

On with the exciting painting!!
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy and Very Cold Friday!! :) Staying in and doing laundry, minus 2 degrees. As you all do, I hate this cold weather I cannot wait to go to Hawaii and get warm. Hopefully I get there with the Government shut down. How long can our so called president keep this up?

Jackie, I am sure you will be organized for your surgery, you are a planner. Yes comfy slippers are much better than mules and in the hospital the nurses will help you put them on. Scuff's mom is a good friend to take both dogs, does she know Betty still has some accidents?

Anne, I agree with Mike, they probably realized you were a senior and made a serious mistake.
    At least you and Jilly will benefit, enjoy!!

Lin, I am glad I went grocery shopping yesterday so I can stay in today and keep warm. Like you our weather is supposed to get worse for the next week. We are colder than Alaska today.

Buzz, when does the doctor come to drain your elbow? Just keep it up and rest, this too shall pass. I hope the check also arrives, not that I don't trust his son. :#

Patsy, how are things in Oregon? With it being 17 degrees in Edwardsville, I am sure my son wished he was back in Oregon.

Marie, how are things going?

Jeri, any more news from the doctor?

Karen, are you home or traveling?

Have a warm day everyone.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    FREEZING here. I decided to try and get to the mailbox. Skidded on the ice but managed to remain upright.
    Michael went to the mailbox, skidded on the ice but managed to remain upright.

Outcome I wrote to my member of parliament AFTER contacting Canada Post about reinstalling our home delivery mailmen. These street boxes were just a trial for our town two years ago. So unpopular, these mailboxes that the guy who came up with this brilliant idea got the old heave ho, i.e. the sack, but although no more communal mailboxes would be installed anywhere else, ours in my town would remain. This is most unfair because an awful lot of seniors live here. The guy at Canada Post was very glib. He informed me if I broke a hip on the icy path it would be the towns fault, not theirs,
    So I called my MP. Had a quick reply and I have to sign a bunch of papers they will send, then get the walk in clinic doc to agree with his signature and hopefully I'll get home delivery once a week. Of course this will take weeks the MPs spokeswoman said and come spring I won't need home delivery anymore!
    Grateful though because she said she hoped I hadn't hurt myself, and came up with a solution which is more than the bored Canada Post man did in Ottawa. I know who I'm voting for now come election time in October!
    I'm on a roll this week aren't I! First revenue Canada, then Canada Post and finally our MPs office.
    I'm a - rocking the boat baby,
    Troublemaker,
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Anne, you are rocking every boat you can reach! Best wishes. I just stay low and hope to be left alone!

Sandy, my furnace has been running and running today. When it doesn’t run for a while, it gets too cold for me so I run my electric heater for a while to make it nice and warm. I was going to go the grocery store closest to me to search for some fresh fruit and then I decided, nope, I have apples, a couple of bananas and canned pineapple. I can live without grapes, pears and other extras.

Jackie, astoundingly good shopping. Well done. A nice new sweater and slippers as well. That would have taken me all day long. I hope the painting went well.

Buzz, I hope the elbow is better each day. Don’t overuse it, just nice to have you type a few words. Hugs.

Hello Karen, Marie, Jeri, Patsy, and Diane (are you out there?)

I am trying to design a card to make, again for winter season, and another dozen. Have been playing with various colors of card stock, die cuts, additional papers and ink. I have not arrived at anything yet but am on a trail I think. I also finished a birthday card for a young man at church. I am resolved that I will go on Sunday. The weather will likely be horrendous for a while, I must adapt.

Hugs.

Lin

• Gawanne35
    Options
    Well, it turned out Michael contacted my MP as well !! Aside from the phone call I got from the member of parliaments spokesperson we both received a really nice letter from her. I was surprised Mike had emailed her as well! Anyway I'm glad he did write because it sort of emphasized the plight of us oldies when we try to navigate the unploughed streets.

After that little drama Mark turned up with emergency pee pads for Jill because at minus 9 C today it's going to get even colder next week and I guess icier. Minus 15 Centigrade. Oh joy. The Bean goes pee pees in the garden but it can't be much fun squatting with ones little bum deep in the snow!

The same as LIN, apart from grapes and apples I stocked up on canned fruit today. What temperature do you run your furnace at Lin? Mines 72 F daytime and 65 F at night. I find 72 is just right for this house to keep me comfortable.
    So, maybe not so much rocking the "sled", but more of a concerned citizen after all, me and all the other over 65s.
    Anne - the (new) crusader.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Just an FYI from me Anne....when it is this cold my thermostat is on 74 and 70 or 71 for sleeping.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    BBBbbbrrrrrr! Just reading about it gives me chills! Hope you warm up soon.
    SANDY, sounds like the ORANGE wonder decided to behave today and your trip to Hawaii should be a go!
    JACKIE, our 86 year old resident is walking beautifully with her new hip of less than a month!
    ANNE, looking deep into your stamps, you were obviously honest and lovely and innocent!
    LIN, my creative dove, your cards require tremendous concentration! Lucky are your friends who receive them!
    I' ve had 2 days of agony with expired Aleve, so I got fresh stuff delivered and am feeling very much improved. Even the bursitis has gone down. I guess some medicines really mean "use by"!
    Now I'm off to bed, late as usual!
    <3 Buzz
    ....................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen!.....................................
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    I'm just waiting for my oatmeal to cool down. Miss Jilly's already gobbled up her chicken, yam and rice and is snoozing next to me.
    First of all such reassuring news from BUZZ for JACKIE facing her hip replacement, AND Buzz feeling so much better which is very welcome news.
    SANDY is nice and warm in her cosy, comfy home as is LIN busily crafting her lovely cards.
    I'm wondering what's happened to PATSY, JERI and KAREN, but I hope we all have a pleasurable weekend, whatever, fog, rain, snow, ice, or sun that Mother Nature throws at us.
    Bye for now,
    Annie.
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Just a comment from me, but if Mr T is really convinced a wall should be built, why doesn't he and all the rich ones contribute a tenth of their wealth to building the darn thing. There would be money to spare and wouldn't that be the patriotic love of their homeland to do? AND most being elderly they can't take their cash with them however hard they try, I.E. King Tut.
    Nothing to do with me of course, just a thought.
    Annie.