Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to send you all a video of Lake Ontario here. The waves are lashing like the sea and trees, benches, rocks etc are covered in a thick coating of ice. Meanwhile down here at the old homestead I was notified by email that a parcel was in the mail box. Off I tottered because I was afraid the contents might freeze and spoil. Two organic lipsticks among other things. I didn't take Shorty because the snow was above my ankles at that time and she would have had trouble walking in it. It's still snowing and doesn't stop until tomorrow morning. Should be an interesting wake up.
    Please ignore earlier post about the joys of winter. Mind you, it's awfully pretty out there.
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Darn, I just dozed off and lost my post. Should be in bed as I have to wake up early so I can be ready for the ride Humana provides for me to get to my new dentist, and she will probably faint when she reads my X-Rays! I need lots of work, suddenly!
    Quick comment on my reaction to Schultz (sp ?)running as an Independent. I have read onl good things about him, but in American elections, Independents tend to be "Spoilers", breaking up voters may work well for some places, but not here! I like that Harris lady from CA, but it's much too early and many more will run. Heaven help us if the orange mess runs and wins! I won't wish to live to see it!
    Sorry, I can't stay awake, but I think I feel some slight improvement in feet! Dozed again. See you tomorrow!
    <3 Buzz
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Woke up to a winter wonderland. Enjoying it before the snow ploughs, shovels, cars, feet etc spoil it.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    A rather wet walk on the moors this morning but at least no wind to freeze us so both dogs had a good run and sniff! It's one of those days to stay indoors, get on with chores and sip coffee. Heavy snow in Cumbria at the moment which may drift down through Wales and into Cornwall tonight but nothing like the vortex that's arrived in Ontario and Chicago. Stay warm and safe everyone who's being hit by such cold weather.
    mxpq6ay751rr.jpg

Back later when I've done a few constructive jobs!!
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Foot deep snow cleared off my long wide drive. I've hired Brian from across the road. He does the main bits with his snow blower, I do the edges and steps with my shovel, Jilly Bean barks encouragement from inside the house. Now it's cleared I'll take her out to have a look!
    Anne.
    PS. Just got back from walk. Everyone saying, don't leave the snow blower trail on the sidewalk or you won't find her until spring. We couldn't go far because the trail ended but Jilly really enjoyed herself. This little thing loves snow, and she was trying to climb up the snow banks at the sides.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,193 Member
    Options
    Our snow was just flurries that were whipped by the wind into a blizzard. As cold and colder temperatures headed in the wind diminished overnight. The sun is out today and we have wind again, so far only -19 degrees below zero wind chill. More severe cold moving in so I will be staying home. Mah Jongg cancelled again. My church has already cancelled Wednesday evening activities and all three public universities and Des Moines based Drake University have closed. The public schools in the area are dithering as they worry about the 10% of students who walk to school and of course keeping the buses running. My what the weather can do to our lives.

Anne, I can just envision the tiny Bean galloping happily in the snow. She has no idea she is small. Haaa.

Jackie, a run and a sniff. Love that. And what an outstanding photo. I adore it. Yes, indoors is just fine. I should cook something hot that will last a while but haven’t thought of anything yet. Maybe some kind of pasta with a tomato sauce and loads of veggies. Wonder if I have a package of broccoli? That would be nice. I am liking the thought of hot beverages and reading today.

Buzz, will be thinking of you as you meet your new dentist. And yes Independents seem to be spoilers in our elections but I believe some experts have said more people identify as Independent now. Perhaps they will support an Independent candidate and not feel they are throwing their vote away.

Sandy, an indoor day for you?

Patsy, great news that your leg is improving. We are always very concerned for you my friend.

Jeri, hugs to you. Are you also in the deep freeze?

Hi Marie and everyone I have missed.

Hugs.

Lin

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Happy Cold Tuesday! :) Our weather is like Lin's, tomorrow will be the coldest with wind chills of minus 50 degrees. Saturday will be back in the 30's and they are saying 45 for Monday. That will feel like spring after this deep freeze. I am supposed to sit tomorrow night but I think they are having second thoughts with the weather, I really hope they cancel. I also am sitting Thursday morning but that should be fine. My cleaning girl is coming today although I told her she could cancel because of the weather, so far I haven't heard from her. I am grateful for my warm apartment and a working fireplace. (I only turn on at night and turn off when going to bed).

Anne, how great that your neighbor agreed to snow plow for you, at least you can take Jilly out for her business. That is a lot of snow you are getting. We are getting more this year than last year but people forget we live in Illinois where are winters can be brutal.

Jackie, Cute picture, anyone you know? Enjoy your coffee, I am enjoying mine. <3

Lin, yes, I plan on staying indoors today with the exception of bringing my empty garbage cans into the garage. I think I will also pull the car out to start it to make sure battery doesn't die in this cold.

Buzz, good luck at the dentist, not one of my favorite people. :p

Patsy, glad to read your leg is better and so happy you went to the doctor.

Have a great day everyone, even though it's cold it is a great day to be alive.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    BBC news: Tehran, Irans capital city bans dog walking in public places such as parks and you can't even have a dog in your car. All to do with dogs causing "fear and anxiety among the general public". I must admit one or two Arabic immigrants around here cross the road rather than encounter my HUGE but friendly dog.
    Here she is having an after dinner nap before going to the mail box and taking a chunk out of some gents leg. Lol. You will notice she is smaller than a fairly small cushion.
    6rjfn15wo9lv.jpg
  • linder4866
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Sandy, I am going to try to get my Prius to run without leaving its garage space. Found something on the Internet about getting it to run in a maintenance mode. Problem to try to run a hybrid just sitting there. They shut off.

Oh and on another note, the local Y, the one closest to my house, just announced all classes and programming is cancelled from noon today through noon on Thursday. Wow. I have never heard that before!
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Our rain had turned to wet snow by lunchtime and just now, when I let the pooches into the garden for a constitutional, my breath was frosty while hail and snow peppered my head! Lots of laundry done and now hanging on an airer by a heater in the dining room since there was no chance of anything drying outside!
    A friend guided me towards a transport service in Cornwall that will arrange a volunteer driver for my trip to hospital next week but because I don't have an admission time yet I've said I will phone them on Thursday and meanwhile find out when I'm likely to go in. One more worry out of the way because my friends are either away or working. My fire is glowing and both dogs are sitting with their bottoms aimed in its direction so I think I'll feed them dinner then decide what I want. Lin, one of my favourite meals is pasta and asparagus spears with grated Parmesan and melted butter.... not sure you can tolerate dairy products can you so forget that recipe!

Anne, it's odd isn't it but I don't think we see many pet dogs in Middle East countries so no wonder they are scared of them. Cute Jilly Bean who looks all tuckered out after her snow adventure!

No Sandy I don't know that dog in the picture although he looks a lot like a 7 month old Brady we sometimes bump into or rather he bumps into George in an effort to get him to play then runs like mad when George growls and snaps.... he must be more than 10 times bigger than George too!!

Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    More laundry going on here. We do have sunshine and mild temps. Yea! Ugly weather might be headed our way. Not snow or ice but rain and an eternal soggy mess.

This photo of Jilly was like another furry black pillow on the couch. The blonde tornado (Katie) curls up in a ball in her bed at times but generally spreads out with legs going all directions taking up a good deal of floor space. She also has at least three or four stuffed animals close at hand. She would love to be part of a pack. I am way too disorganized to deal with more than one fur baby at this point in my life.

Jackie: all good thoughts on your hip surgery. You will come through with flying colors, I am sure. I am impressed at your amazing organization. With your wonderful feather and furry family, I can imagine this has been quite a process. Sounds like you have all bases covered.

Please be especially careful, you sneakers in the deep freeze area. That is scary cold.
    Patsy
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    You mean like this PATSY?
    yk1xu850goqe.jpg
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    The lady is a fabulous find and the cleanest most up to date dental office I've ever been in. I knew there would be lots of expense but she didn't tack on extras and my crowns were disintegrating! Transportation was easy, and in about a month, I will have a new mouth!
    SANDY, only YOUR posts is still arriving blank, but clicking on the space brings it up! Running late and then there's a great concert so if I keep awake, ...see ya later!
    <3<3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    Options
    Wow, closing after closing and now no mail delivery tomorrow. Now that is serious!
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers....Thought I would just drop in to let you know I am still thinking about all of you. Did a bit of reading on here to find out how everyone is doing.

Sandy Your grandkids have grown up so quickly and are so cute. Glad you are enjoying them.
    Buzz So glad to hear that your bursitis is getting a lot better. It seems it is one thing or another with you these
    days, but have to admire how you keep on enjoying life. Such a great example for all of us.
    Jeri I have had you on my mind also and glad you are able to get into see your original doctor. Hearing what
    he has to say is a bit more comforting. Shall be thinking of you as you go thru further testing.
    Patsy Those ocean breezes up your way have to make it more than a bit chilly, but since you have been there for
    some time you probably know how to deal with them during the winter. Stay cozy in your cottage; hoping
    your sore heals fairly quickly too.
    Jackie Loved the photo of George and Betty together. What cute dogs !! You are such a good dog parent trekking
    out on those misty chilly mornings with your dogs. Periodically I think of you living in your country
    environment seemingly years back in time when you happen to mention a nightly fire, coal and things from
    a earlier time. Frankly don't know how you do it, but must admire you and your beautiful country.
    Wish you well for a speedy hip surgery.
    Anne Still enjoy your daily chats including the periodic words between you and Jackie, which are definitely British in
    your vocabulary. Glad you were able to get your neighbor to use the snow blower on your drive. Get
    concerned with the ice these days in your drive. Stay warm....
    Lin Hope that you are getting more rest to fight whatever that seems to catch up with you each winter. Be safe
    when you journey out on these icy days. When starting your car in the garage remember please open the
    garage door. We want you around for a while...
    Karen Nice to see you again. Glad you have been able to do a lot of traveling while you can. Stay warm...
    Marie Nice seeing you on here again. I think you have made the right choice of moving at this point in your life.
    You will be glad you did it once you get settled into a new place. Can your dog come with you ? Take care.

As for me I am doing ok. Still trying to keep up my steps, but not as motivated as I need to be. However I am still at a plateau, but again taking walks for 3 days now. I am on a roll until our rain comes again later this week. Very thankful I am not having to deal with all of your snow. Been there and done that in Calgary 40 yrs ago. -20 and -30 C is a bit too chilly for me now. For this California native it was an experience I won't forget. Buzz I too have that trip to the dentist for a crown replacement next week. Just replaced my glasses after 2 yrs. Found out I now have the starting of glaucoma in one eye. Family history, so I am thankful I have had my sight as long as I have. Has anyone gotten an Instant Pot yet ? It is my new toy and I am learning how to cook all over again, but using a pressure cooker. Maybe not as 'instant" as I would like, but I sure have had a wonderful pot roast in it. There is a learning curve, so it definitely challenges me.

Well need to call it a night. Everyone stay warm and safe. And Shirley, Phoebe and Jeri I miss not seeing you on here also. I do try to drop by periodically to check on everyone.

Diane
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Hello DIANE! Nice to read you again!
    I'm as daft as ever. I fed The Bean at 5:30 last evening. My fridge door no longer closes automatically and the fridge ran for 12 hours before I noticed on my night or early morning trek to the bathroom that it wasn't fully shut. I'm trying to imagine the electricity bill! A couple of days ago I ominously said who - needs a fridge in -29 temperatures, but that's outside NOT in the kitchen with the furnace running.
    Otherwise life ain't bad. No snow overnight for a start, but we've got the same cold air mass that LIN and SANDY are suffering. Definitely a cabin fever start to the year.
    Anne.
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    And THAT was mishap number one.
    Being a bit worried about The Beans chicken in the warm part of the fridge I decide to cook her a new batch. Fine, no problem. Chicken cooked along with rice and a yam I decide to put the pan in soak and pop into the bathroom whilst the sinks filling. I get distracted. The Bean starts barking her head off. I come into the living room and she's not facing the high window and barking at unseen dogs, she's facing the kitchen and barking at an overflowing sink. We now have a very clean kitchen floor and under sink cupboards. BUT wasn't she a clever girl letting me know we were in danger of drowning! My little Service Dog! I'm so proud of her.
    Meanwhile, I think I'll check out senior home prices but doubt I can afford one! And wonder if I'll be here posting again with mishap three!
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Walked round the village this morning because the roads are icy after hail and a covering of snow in the night. Halfway along the first uphill stretch met a grandma wheeling baby in pram towards me who was apparently trying to get him to sleep. The dear lady was quite a bit older than me but a sign of the times I suppose. A bit further on and a lady pulling her car out from her driveway stopped and wound down her window, then told me all about her husband she was about to visit in hospital where he has been for 7 months and about to be transferred to a care home.... not so long ago he was fit and able, loving life. She was being very brave about it but was obviously terribly upset. On the way back waved to gran with her precious cargo then met yet another lady strolling and taking a look around our private off road track so stopped to talk to her and it turns out she has just moved into the village, is already a bell ringer at the local church and a keen gardener. I showed her the setup with our properties and how she wouldn't be able to walk any further because my grumpy rude neighbour has blocked his end of the path (I didn't tell her he was rude and grumpy!!) then invited her into my garden so she could get her bearings across the fields. All that in just over half an hour so a jolly sociable walk. :)

Lovely to see you popping in Diane. I miss our little chats about your grandmother, Chintz china, antiques and all things oldie-worldie like me!! Central heating never suited me even in Canada when I seemed to suffer a constant cold so yes, my coal fire is perfect for my lifestyle although most friends think me bonkers!! To be honest I hit a plateau about 2 years ago and float between a few pounds up or down but hopefully once I'm up and running on new hips I'll be able to shift my more than middle age spread!

Anne, during a particularly hot summer back when I was about 5 or 6 my dad dug a hole in the garden, set a metal can into it and declared that was our fridge, no doubt a trick he picked up in India! Pints of bottled milk, butter and cheese were kept cool until I was sent out to bring something into the kitchen. Of course shopping was a daily occurrence so no need for a fridge to keep meat fresh. Ha, the good old days!! Thought of you with the snow blowing neighbour this morning when BBC showed people in Chicago blowing the white stuff everywhere, or it looked as if it was going everywhere anyway. They didn't seem to pause if someone walked by either!!

Patsy, it does seem you and John are taking very good care of those blisters and definitely going in the right direction so think positive thoughts, you'll get there.

Buzz, dentists are like hairdressers, find a good one and very soon we feel a million dollars so they are definitely worth hanging on to. My paternal grandfather was a dentist but even with us being family he terrified me once I was in that chair!!

Lin, stay in where you're warm please. So long as you have food to eat and warm toes there shouldn't be any reason to venture out into those horrendous temperatures. Sandy too, I can't imagine your family will want you to sit with the children if it means traveling in such appalling conditions and anyway everyone is being told to stay home. You see, I'm keeping an eye on you across the pond!!

Lunchtime for me then more housework! I put off my visit to friends this afternoon because the roads around here don't get gritted so not worth the risk on the ice.
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    I remember the "fridge" trick JACKIE, an old camping trick. Even today men put cans of beer into cold streams, secured of course. My mom had a huge marble block in the pantry and all perishables stood on that, and a mesh "safe" to keep the blue bottles away from the meat. Like you we grocery shopped every day and of course the milkman came round daily as well.
    So, I guess we will survive Brexit, fridge breakdowns, walls going up etc. Just a matter of passing our childhood memories and skills on to the present young generation. I'm all for your coal fire because you can't roast chestnuts on a make believe fire or toast crumpets on a furnace. I have a cast iron fire place/stove in the basement although I can't vouch for the chimney. (Might be an idea to get it swept come spring.). Just a matter of pinching some of Harry's diminishing logs when he's not looking if everything breaks down.
    Thanks for another buried memory,
    Anne.
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Just read it's colder in the Great Lakes regions than the top of Everest.