Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunny but Vortex Wednesday! I am at a little at odds with my DIL so venting a little.
    I did cancel tonight and told them to go when it is warmer. This morning I asked Lisa to change the dentists appointments for her and Robby tomorrow. She told me I didn't have to come she would work something out and maybe Rob would stay home and watch the other two. The point is I don't want her or Robby out in this weather, especially since they are telling everyone to stay home. Rob said we will talk later because he was busy at the moment so I hope he uses common sense. Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Anne, you must be thinking of other things today thus the two incidents. BTW my fridge doesn't automatically shut either and it is so frustrating. I hate coming back into the kitchen only to find my door didn't close, something I am going to complain to my landlord when he gets back from his month long or longer vacation in California.

Jackie, you are such a friendly soul, I am sure your new neighbor appreciated your kindness. And what is that grandma doing with a baby out in that weather???

Diane, nice to hear from you again, glad all is going well in your part of the country.

Lin, are you getting all caught up with your cards now that we are housebound? I am making DVD's out of VHS tapes to keep busy besides riding my bike.

Buzz, I have no idea why you don't see my posts, maybe a question for MFP?

Have a good day and if in the freeze try to keep warm.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I sent a question to MFP, since I cannot bear the idea of SANDY being deleted. Really weird, because as soon as the cursor touches the blank area, her post appears. I tried to save it as a file, but doubt it worked properly!
    I am suspecting my aches are weather related as everyone here is feeling painful. As PATSY suggested, barometric pressure? The weather is horrid everywhere!
    DIANE, so nice to have you drop in, and I can see you have been watching. Perhaps I'll get back after dinner, but I'm running really late today.
    <3 Buzz
    ......................Always Believe Something Wonderful is About to Happen!............................
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,201 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Well, happy Vortex Afternoon to everyone. I did not sleep well last night as there were big creaks and pops and strange noises. I wondered if my house was going to fall apart or if things out there in the night were blowing up or something. I have been watching the thermostat for my furnace like a hawk. I did a manual override to keep the temperature at 70 degrees. The advice here was to keep the temperature up as trying to catch up if the house gets cold would be very difficult. Anyway, all was well until mid-morning. I thought, hummmm, it is colder in here. There was an error message showing on my thermostat and it was only heating to 63 degrees. Luckily it was not that cold, so I just immediately set a new manual override. I really don’t know what the error message said. I hope it doesn’t happen in the middle of the night.

Have also run an electric heater in my garage a couple of times hoping to keep my cars ready to start tomorrow, maybe. And as experts advised, I have the cabinet doors open where there are water pipes, and I have run water every few hours in both sinks located on outside walls.

I have been texting and using messenger, doing some water color, sorted out embossing folders, and have been organizing and packing up materials for the Chinese New Year’s party next week. I was also attempting to read the newest Lee Childs’ Reacher book. Sad to say, I do not like this one at all. In fact, I may not finish it. The magic is gone. Now I am afraid to read the newest Alex Cross installment. I may not like that either! Finally, the book club selection is a total snooze so far. Must be the weather.

I went to the basement to do some Tai Chi and wow, it is cold down there so I did not stay down there very long.

Sorry to hear of all the problems with refrigerators, overflowing sinks, and other people and things.

Diane, wonderful that you stopped by and wrote such a long post. And never worry, I would always open my overhead door if I was going to start my car. :) Do you have any trips planned? Are you looking after grandchildren? For some reason I don’t see much that you post on Facebook. I will have to visit your page and see what is up.

Buzz, keep taking care of yourself and glad the dentist is a good one.

Take care everyone. Hugs.

Lin

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Beautiful sunny chilly day here. Katie has had about twenty games of ball and 200 trips outside in the back acrage. Good grief! I must introduce her to the idea of a few minutes of self entertainment. This concept is foreign to her.

My doctor is not what you would call a warm fuzzy kind of guy. He said “ yeah, you know when we have cold damp rain, our arthritis etc. is going to flare up! There is pain meds, there is anti inflammatory meds, and anti anxiety meds and outside of sympathy from friends and family, that’s about all we have.” Of course his advice is always, exercise! Water! And positive attitude. Okay but it is hard to feel really positive when it hurts to move. Just saying....but I did my exercise and had my big mug of hot water with lemon.

Still in all, I like being on planet earth, I want to be here as long as possible. I think we as seniors still serve our community and family in many ways. Okay sneakers! They need us!
    Patsy
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Keep listening to the news about how cold it is in the Vortex area and feel for those of you that who are having to stay warm in it. Certainly best to stay inside under those conditions. I sure hope that your furnace has straighten out for you Lin. Our furnace is 23 yrs old now. We just know the inevitable will suddenly happen; don't know what is worse no heat or no ac, so we make sure it gets it servicing. No fireplace in this place other than a cracking fireplace that my dh puts on the tv occasionally. Not the same....

Just a thought...do they still have block heaters for your cars during the winter ? So remember using them when in Calgary 40 yrs ago. A totally new concept to me at the time. Wondering if Jeri is also having those cold cold temps right now.

Took my husband to Costco to get some replacement hearing aids. He says he is hearing all of the birds now and the crickets as well. As a wife you know when his need replacing....you get real tired of repeating everything. We joke I am the ears in the family and he is the eyes as we age.

Anne...what an awful morning you have had. Hopefully they can just replace the seal to the refrigerator making it an easy fix. Trust me you don't want to buy a refrigerator these days. We had to last yr and they are so costly now !
    Please don't try to drown you and the Bean. We would miss you both.

Buzz....glad you found a dentist that you are happy with. Mine only opens up new offices now with lots of new staff; he only is in one particular office 2 ams a wk. I travel just to have him do the work. I prefer an experienced dentist when a crown is concerned. Hope your elbow has mended by now.

Sandy...I think the younger generation just doesn't understand how bad the cold really is. They will learn. I think you did the right thing asking her to change the appt. Slipping and sliding with little ones doesn't sound like fun to me. There always is another day.... Keep winning playing Bingo....Hawaii will be here sooner than you think. Lucky you.

We saw the movie the Beautiful Boy that Sandy viewed. It was very good and emotional as well. Started a new book that takes place in the early 1930s called Sold On Monday by Kristina McMorris. So far I am enjoying it. Books that take place in my parents era come to life to me especially historical novels. No trips planned at the moment. In fact we are considering selling the RV. It seems when we plan something things always change due to the fires that we have had the last 3 yrs or so. Besides my back tells me sleeping in the rv isn't a pleasurable thing to do anymore. Grand kids are growing quickly too....2 cheerleaders, plus tumbling to follow as well as either football games or baseball games of our grandson. Try to see what we can if the temps aren't too hot or too cold. Not able to deal with that much anymore.

Our Kings Basketball game is on, so I am going to end for now. A hello to Jeri, Marie, Jackie, Patsy and anyone else I may of forgotten. Hope everyone is feeling a bit better and the temps warm up quickly for you.

Diane

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Just a quickie to let you all know The Bean and I survived the coldest night. We both snuggled under the duvet and here we are - me eating my oatmeal and The Bean licking up her teaspoonful before embarking on her normal dog brekkie.
    Hope everybody else survived whatever nature chucked at us overnight. One more day and then we, up and over here by the Great Lakes, start to gradually warm up. It's now minus eight Fahrenheit, or minus 22 but feeling like minus 34 Centigrade. You know, I still prefer it to the sticky, humid, mosquito riddled heat.
    Anne.

• Gawanne35
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I've just been reading two things. In Japan seniors are committing crimes so they can go to prison to avoid poverty and loneliness etc.
    A senior here has been charged with assault in a snow shovelling fight. NOT ME. Lol.
    Hey, since I last wrote the temperatures gone DOWN a notch. Colder I mean.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    A busy morning for me. First I had my appointment at the Occupational Therapy department at the local hospital to talk about aids and needs after the hip procedure. I came home with a commode, crutches, a seat raising cushion and loo aid with arms and high seat. More to follow with the daily help that will pop in for up to 6 weeks if required. I then shopped for a few items to stock up cupboards before walking the dogs in the woods and another shopping trip, this time for pets and hen supplies. We've had a risk to life weather warning and I can see outside rain is beginning to turn to snow which will mean icy roads on the moors. My fire is roaring and we're warm as toast... won't be going out again!
    Good to read you survived the cold night Anne and hopefully Lin's boiler kept going as it's certainly not a time to be without heating. After my chat with physio this morning I realise I won't be able to deal with my stove but have purchased an electric heater that although boring will keep us warm.
    Now going to watch Escape to the Country with a couple who only have a million pounds to spend so I'll be able to see how the other half live!! First house semi detached, not what I'd want to spend so much money on!
    Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Just over an hour later!
    4rdu1226wx1w.jpg
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Welcome to the vortex Jackie, but you must admit....pretty. I watch Escape to the Country" as well.
    Fancy west Scotland or Shropshire, not that I can afford either!
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Thursday where it is a balmy minus 14 degrees but is supposed to warm to minus 1.
    I haven't decided if I am going to my meeting but since I convinced Lisa to change her appointments to next Thursday I really would like to go. I feel as if I have been in the house forever. I did make two DVD's from VHS tapes and rode my bike everyday which resulted in a pound lost. Hope it goes even lower for weigh in tomorrow.

Jackie, your health care system seems so much better than ours. You will appreciate all those extras after surgery. You are ahead of things and thought about heat so I am happy to read you bought an electric heater. The critters will also keep you warm.

Anne, I also survived the coldest night in Chicago since 1985 so now we can look forward to warmer weather. I can picture Jilly right next to you in bed and feeling not only warm but loved.

Diane, I am glad she finally listened and changed her appointment, not only for me but for Robby who I didn't want out in this weather. I don't think my kids realize I am old, because I am in good health and do a lot of things they think I am indispensable, which I am not.

Patsy, I agree with you and love life so I am not ready to leave yet. Would love to be around long enough to see my young grandchildren grow up. Wishful thinking.

Lin, I hope your weather is now warming like ours, being in the house so long is getting boring.

I decided to go to meeting so I have to move along, have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Just to let you know my third mishaps just occurred. The toaster oven is as cold as a penguins chuff. Garbage day tomorrow, hey ho.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hello. The real temperature is about very zero finally although the wind chill is still -14 degrees but wow, this is progress. Wahoo! So much better. And heading up tomorrow and Saturday. Yippee. Many places are still closed today including the place where my Tai Chi teacher gives her lessons. Darn. I might have gone out for that. But tomorrow our senior recreation center should be open again and I think my car should start. I am still running an electric heater for about a half hour at a time and the temperature actually got up to freezing in the garage.

I have been busy cutting card stock, folding and scoring, and sorting. I have many projects lined up and now I have some materials lined up for several of them. I also tried an interesting spray water color on a piece of embossed paper and the color is lovely but it wasn’t an appropriate paper for water color AND I didn’t put on gloves. Oh what a lovely color under my nails and in my cuticles. :)

Jackie, you are all lined up now and just in time to watch your favorite shows as well as the snow. Are you expecting the horribly cold temperatures we’ve experienced recently? I sincerely hoping not.

Anne, oh no, a dead toaster oven. Argh. That is not good. Do you have a spare? I was brought up in a home where all small appliances used often required a spare. At that time that meant a spare coffee pot (or two), and a toaster as well as loads of duplicate pots and pans, tea kettles, silverware and dishes. A Penguin’s chuff? Now that is a new phrase for me.

Sandy, be safe at your meeting. I am looking forward to getting out tomorrow. Finally, Tai Chi. Fingers crossed.

Diane, wow, thinking of selling your RV. That’s a big decision. If you aren’t using it and it is not comfortable for you now, those are compelling factors. My friends sold theirs but they still go to the RV shows and look at the new models. They still miss going but they have family issues that have required they stay close to home so probably the right thing to do. They have many grandchildren and usually one ore more of them are looking for some type of assistance from a ride to a place to stay for a little while. They never say no but the kids don’t have huge requests.

Patsy, wow, your doctor really is not a warm and fuzzy guy, at all! If he is intelligent and competent maybe that overrides the rest? I guess I would prefer some compassion but my doctor doesn’t really have that trait either. Hummmm.

Buzz, hello dear. I hope you are okay today. Did you have the first of your dental work the other day or just letting the dentist get acquainted with your teeth and maybe map out the needed procedures?

Must zip along. Hugs to everyone. Hi Marie!!

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    My email is saying I'm out of date and wants me to reset tings so Windows can access my calendar, email, etc. Does that sound right to you?
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Otherwise, I think I'm finally starting to heal You are ALL terrific! Your posts are great, but either my computer is crazy, or I'm falling asleep!
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    And no, my dental work starts starts Tuesday. Forgive me, I cannot stay awake!
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    I've got a similar message for messages BUZZ. I give up at times and want to chuck the darn pad through the window, the cold saves it! I have reset. Very Glad you are on the mend.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Buzz, I don’t know, Windows can be quirky. I check over and over before I run any updates. This past week I did have to do updates, it took forever and the computer was on and off and hung up for a while. I would be very cautious in changing anything. I don’t use Outlook or whatever Microsoft might recommend. I have web based email. Not very helpful, sorry.

Well friends, I am going to try to get back to Tai Chi, grocery store trip (maybe a couple of different stores), visiting a friend who is still post surgical stuck in the house and will drop off books at the library. Maybe if all goes well. It is a plan!

Be well all. Hi Anne, Jackie, Sandy, Diane, Karen, Marie, Patsy, Buzz, Jeri, and if she might ever stop by, Barbie.

Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    Options
    No walking today due to frozen snow and ice on the roads. My neighbour has just popped in to collect George so she will walk him thiws afternoon but Betty can't understand what all this cold white stuff is and has no interest in walking on or in it!! Yesterday, in the middle of the snow storm the same neighbour came to ask if I could help her move her car that was stuck on ice half on and half off the road leading to our access track which I did but it took nearly an hour as well as a large piece of old carpet off the top of her compost placed under her front wheels. On the road itself cars were getting stuck everywhere, I think because it rained before the snow so there was and still is, a thick layer of ice on the ground and abandoned vehicles everywhere. When I finally got back inside and sat in front of my fire with a cup of tea I saw a public service announcement on tv that people should check that their elderly neighbours were safe and maybe make them a hot drink which did make me laugh.... I get a cry for help to push a big car instead!!

I use Outlook email and haven't received any request so far but on the whole I ignore them for at least 24 hours to see if anything different happens if I don't. Did have one of those silly Paypal messages asking me to give them account details, as if I would!!

I'm trying to make contact with the hospital for an admission time to pass on to the volunteer drivers charity but no luck so will now see if I can at least make a provisional booking for a one on the day.

Happy Friday.... let's hope we all thaw out quickly.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) We are getting up to 19 degrees today and tomorrow 40 and Monday a heat wave at 51. Crazy weather but hopefully temps will keep going up for all of us. Being stuck inside has at least helped me lose one pound, slowly but surely I hope to be at goal by my trip.

Buzz, do not reset your computer!!! Hold your mouse over the address that sent you that email and see who it is from, my guess it is spam. I use Outlook with my gmail and never get any messages to reset. Just ignore it. Hope you got some sleep.

Jackie, Wednesday is the big day correct? You know you have our prayers and good wishes for a successful and pain free surgery. Pushing a car with your bad hips wasn't a good idea but I would probably do the same.

Lin, hooray, you can finally get out of the house. Enjoy your day and all your activities.

Anne, I would ask your boys about those messages, I don't get them on my IPad. Are you updating your IPad when it tells you too?

I am washing clothes and just staying in today. Joe is going with me to mass tomorrow and then for something to eat. Sunday is the Super Bowl party where I play bingo followed by a week of a lot of sitting for the kiddos.

Have a great day,
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time