Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Patsy – Been thinking about a Fitbit myself and was pricing them yesterday. Not really expensive. Then I realized most my walking is on the treadmill that calculates that mileage & calories. So still undecided. I love technology & sometimes have to evaluate my wants v. needs…LOL

As for Downton Abbey – don’t know how I never got involved or at least tried it. Guess I’ll have to settle for Black List tonight. :) My wife has said when our cat, Sabrina goes, no more pets. We’ll see. I never say never. Arthritis is a bummer BUT thank goodness for my methotrexate :)

Lin – You are right about MFP – it’s a great habit. I’m very into enjoying the community AND losing weight / getting fit. I try to avoid many message boards that have people arguing back and forth & stick with the “encouragement” people. Everyone is different – ages, health, allergies, disabilities etc. and some posters like to tell people “exactly what they MUST do.” Too funny. As for my wife & peas – that dates way back. First time I went to her house she had just had a ½ can of them.

Saw where you spoke on the phone for 1.5 hours with a friend. My wife is that way too. I – on the other hand – hate talking on the phone. A long conversation is 5 minutes. That is how I knew there was something about my wife when we talked on the phone the first time..it lasted over 1 hour – a record for me – actually unheard of – for me.

Barbie – Enjoy those line dances. Someday, I’ll have to learn so if I visit relatives in Arizona I can surprise them. (YES, the 1.5 slices of pizza tasted great)

Buzz – You are obviously battling a tough situation. I have volunteered at hospice and nursing homes and have seen how difficult situations can be. My wife’s aunt had Alzheimer’s – it was very hard on some family members. We never know when this is going to hit. Just found out last week an old high school classmate began showing signs of confusion in 2003 and in 2005 was diagnosed with Frontal Lobar Temporal Degeneration (a form of dementia) and she would have been in her 50’s at the time. I’ll skip the details.
    Wishing you and Mike the very best for some good reports and solutions!

Shirley – Glad you like the meals…it really does relax me. I like to watch some cooking shows – if they are showing creative simple meals – I don’t want to have to but multiple ingredients that require 1-2 tablespoons and then sits on a shelf. Hope you had a good time shopping.

As for The Biggest Loser – I was just reading the story about the complaining contestant that re-gained 130 pounds and blames the show. Give me a break. Here is that story link:

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/30/former-contestant-slams-the-biggest-loser-others-stand-by-sho/21137061/

Marie – I hope you are on the mend….need more of your wonderful comments :)

As for me --

Got up early (4:45am) and completed my longest walk. Just over 4 MILES – Burned 461 Calories - 80 Minutes

20150201_063502-1_treadmill_zps367vhsmk.jpg

Then had breakfast – 159 CALORIES!

20150201_072823_breakfast_blank_zps3pffchqx.jpg

Time to get cleaned up – my wife wants to exchange an item at the mall after church – then off for Sunday dinner at my sister’s home – she has a Sunday dinner EVERY week for about 30-40 family & church friends…we try to go a couple times a month – I usually bring my own meals, as it is buffet style Italian food.

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT SUNDAY & ENJOYS THE SUPER BOWL… I have the winners narrowed down to one of two teams.

Bob :)
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    Good morning PHOEBE, Tabs was an abused puss too. Records at the Animal Shelter told me that. She was so wild when I first got her I honestly thought she had some wild cat in her. Still not sure! Today she is a loving, elderly puss who loves to sit on my knee. Unheard of when she first arrived. It's well worth taking in an abused animal. Dogs particularly seem to be grateful and Honey is one lucky dog to have found you. Who knows, if I continue as I am now, and old Tabs, who can't stand dogs, takes off to the kitty litter in the sky, then I just MIGHT succumb.
    Anne
    Did anybody watch Death in Paradise last night, followed by Vera.
    Anne
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Bob - I couldn't open the video from Biggest Loser, but I did read the story about the contestant and her unhappy results. I have heard about them using garbage bags to sweat more. Not really healthy, but you have to take for what it is.
    -
    Shirley
    Ontario, Canada
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

Bright sunny but cold day here today. Waiting for our new couch to arrive. Hope we like it as they are taking the old one away. LOL

Sandy - it is hard I think to get an app that correctly records exercise on a bike. I know you can buy devices to connect to your bike pedal and I have thought of it, but prefer my treadmill. When I had hurt my foot and couldn't walk too well I did a lot of indoor exercise bike workouts but never was too satisfied with the recording results.

My dashboard showed by running at 5 mph - NOT. I'd like to do that but can't. I think it was my heart rate monitor giving incorrect readings or else my phone app. My fitness watch connects with Garmin Connect and it with MFP. I was just looking at my Garmin Connect App on my iPhone. It doesn't work the best the online one seems to work better. So if you see it recording me running, I'm not, only in my dreams. I find even 4 mph is hard on my knees.

Marie - how are you feeling now? It is dragging on like that nasty bug Ed and I had. It lasted a almost a month.

Pasty - I've looked at fitbits too but I have a Striiv - the oldest model and I love it. I keep it in my pocket all day. It gives me challenges which motivates me to do more.

Anne - I've never watched Downton Abbey. LOL. Does that qualify for lynching too

Bob - fitness gadgets motivate me. I've had a Garmin GPS Sports Watch since 2011. I like to record my walks outside and then bought a foot pod so that I could record my walks inside on the treadmill. A lot of them will now sync with MFP too. Garmin is having issues with their iPhone app and it's annoying me right now but their online site works well. I see that I walked a little over 72 miles using it in January. Those numbers motivate me. Can you tell I was a banker with my love of numbers. LOL

Lin - you can see from my comment above that I am waiting for our new couch today. You impress me with all the cooking you do. Good for you.

I see it is almost 11 time to get busy.

Hugs to all I missed.

Jeri

• oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Good morning! As we all know, it is game day! The TV will be going all day with pre-game talk then the actual game. I have been preparing game day snack food. Celery, bell peppers and yoghurt dip. We will be too busy watching the game to be disappointed in our snacks. Yea! By the way I keep hearing about the protein powders. I have never used them or tasted them. What exactly are they disposed to do?
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    Oh dear JERI, ANOTHER non watcher of Downton abbey. That makes me, you and Phoebe, and I believe Jackie mentioned she'd "gone off it" so we've strength in numbers! One of my daughters in law loves it so much she is threatening to visit the UK just to look at the house! I'm sure you will love your new sofa. It's always a bit of a worry when purchasing such an expensive item, but it looked really nice on your photo. My two sons, one DIL, and now my grandson this coming summer with a job already lined up are ALL into numbers. They are all logical people, well maybe not my grandson who is into the art side of business, and, poor lad, is said to take after his somewhat hair brained gran, but that apart I am surrounded by clever people into MATHS!
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,120 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!! :D So far we have about 5 inches of snow with more coming this afternoon. It looks so pretty, especially the trees. pwyplxyxa6c3.jpg

I am staying in today and went to Walmart yesterday for some groceries. I will have my own healthy Superbowl party all by myself. Hope I win something on my pools.
    Babe apologized for being a miserable old man yesterday and seems better today.
    Bryanna walked Daisy for him yesterday so that probably helped.

I will probably just ride the bike today although if motivated I will do the free style step.
    I think it is wise to rest the body for at least one day a week but being determined to get to goal I might not listen to myself.

Bob, I watched the video and I think she is just making excuses for putting the weight back on. I can't imagine you, Lin or Barbie putting your weight back on after all the hard work it took to lose. I know I get mad at myself if I gain 5 pounds let alone 140 like she did.

Jeri, hope you couch is comfy and fits you perfect. I do love my Fit Bit especially the sleep app which tells me how I sleep. When it vibrates on my wrist that I have made my 5k steps, it motivates me more.

Anne, I caught up on my missed TV shows last night so didn't see the shows you wrote about. I am a Downton Abby addict, love the show as well as Call the Midwife. I have so many favorites I can't keep up with all of them, but my very favorite is Blacklist.

Marie, so glad Alice came to nurse you, she is a wonderful daughter.

Time is getting away from me. I pulled all of my 2014 papers for shredding and that is a big job with this small shredder so I better get moving.

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    SANDY that's what I like about the Fitbit too. That vibrating buzz on the wrist when ones managed to reach ones goal. Mind you, it frightened me to death the first time, now I'm listening for it. Also I love the way one is cuddled under the quilt at night, wake up, and can check the time with those well lit numbers. The sleep feature is good too. I honestly thought I was a light sleeper, and here I am getting 7 to 8 hours.
    BOB I think you too might like a Fitbit. What fun to go to your sisters for a meal with all those people! She must be a marvellous woman to cater for so many.
    Anne
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :D Bob, I read the article about the Biggest Loser who gained the weight back and blamed the show. There are entirely too many people nowadays who blame others for their own failures. Recently I was at a meeting where a woman brought some homemade candy treats and took them around offering them personally to everyone. Jake and I said "no thank you" as did my friend who is an OA member. Sitting on the other side of the room was a woman I know to be a yo yo dieter. She took the treat and said "Oh, Martha, you ruined my diet." and then took more later.

:D Marie, I'm glad you are feeling better.

:D Anne, I don't watch "Downton Abbey" and can't figure out what the appeal is. I like the crime scene investigation shows.

:D Jeri, I like the gadgets but don't have as many as you. I have a pedometer along with the step counter on my phone. Now I have a dog walking app that shows time, distance, and speed along with a map of each dog walk.

:D Sandy, the dogs won't let me have a rest day from walking. I do take a rest after days of strength training.

<3 Barbie
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    BARBIE! I like the crime investigation shows too. I also love to curl up with a good crime novel. Not sure where this comes from as I would say I am a person who is not disposed to violence of any kind. I think it's trying to pick up the clues, and when one is sometimes right, very satisfying. Good for the brain as we age, along with scrabble. I love beating the computer!
    Anne
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Oh <3 jeri you said it lasted for month. I that's terrible. I am still wheezing so will put in a call to my Doctor tomorrow not running any fever yet. just retrieval caught and nose stop up.

<3 Barbie I am waiting for the game tonight Hope the Seattle wins.

<3 Sandy a I am terrible jalousie of you getting all of that snow, I think we might have one snowflake the whole year and it did not even fall in our yard. Thanks for sharing the picture with us.
    <3<3
    I see we have some new People Now that I really like. Wonderful new
    to the new people I am the old meddling granny here home terrible sick with a sinus infection. I just want to say welcome to the greatest group on MFP. I need to learn Your names yet though. But I will.

Got run Hello Lin, Anne. Bob. Shirley and Buzz.you all been just great Love you all

• Blueharebell1
    Options
    And we love you! Take care of yourself now. Anne
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,177 Member
    Options
    I'll post a Glitter Graphics version of snow. We're over 10 inches now, temps dropping, winds whipping, light snow, ice on the bottom of the mess and it's not so pretty now. Happy to be indoors. The snow removal people have done my driveway and sidewalks although it will be filled up again quite soon. Doesn't matter though, not only would I not go out right now but the city has not plowed our street yet. Ha.

585704vohzfiasuy.gif

I just walked and walked around while playing the movie "Into the Storm"--oh my, that kept me moving. Insane movie about tornadoes. BUT as some of you might remember, I lived near Parkersburg Iowa for a number of years and still get my haircuts there and my attorney/tax advisor is located there so I visit often. They were partially levelled by an EF5 tornado in 2008 just weeks before my dad had his life-altering stroke. It was a brutal year with horrendous June flooding. When my dad had his stroke I had to find a path to travel where the roads were not flooded and the ambulance could take him to one hospital only as they could not get any further due to closed roads. Unfortunately it was not a hospital where his doctor practiced. Anyway, brought back lots of memories and made me walk around quickly!

Wishing everyone the best. I agree with Bob, this is the best group of people. Everyone is supportive and don't spend their time, as folks seem to on the forums, ripping at people and telling folks what they should or should not do. Incessant fighting over how many glasses of water to drink, whether or not you should do fasted cardio, insane conversations on macros and levels of protein. Here you can follow your own personal path, ask questions if you want to, but the best is receiving support for a healthy life!

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate you.

Lin
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    LIN, we appreciate you. My, I've never met someone who actually lived or indeed lives in the tornado belt. When I've seen these things on the TV news whipping through, it's just horrifying. We get a few each year here, but they are further north of me. I think if I was a USA citizen I would get me out of there fast and down to a southern state. But it's ties to home isn't it in the end. I never experienced them in the UK, but I gather with earth warming a few are now occurring there.
    It's been snowing here all day too, no sign of my contractors. They usually wait until it's over and show up in the middle of the night.
    I agree with your comments about this site and the nice people on it. Best of all, I've learnt such a lot, e.g you and your tornados, the problems with your dad, etc, Phoebe and her compassion for Honey, the beautiful crafts you all make, Bob and his sayings and food knowledge, oh I can't list everybody, there's just so much knowledge shared.
    Thanks everybody, Anne.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Lin A beautiful graphic of the snow love it
    Marie
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Had a lovely day with DH's son and future DIL (?). She is a gorgeous 6'1"skinny blonde, a model and seems to be as nice as she is beautiful. However, it was a shock to see DH's daughter after her WW 100 pound loss, and despite looking gaunt and drawn with her cheeks caved in, she wants to lose "another few pounds" !!!. Dreadful results, and we are surprised her leader doesn't tell her ! Instead of 64, she looks like 84! :s
    I'm about to settle in to watch Downton Abbey and I NEVER watched TV daytime shows and watch very little TV. Just to see magnificent Maggie Smith in her dowager role is worth every moment of watching. I was disappointed last year, but seeing the progress of social change that took place after WW One is fascinating, and it is beautifully done. But that's the privilege of being able to choose whatever one likes! I enjoy that it depicts many stratas of the different classes that existed, and demonstrates so well how different levels of care exist somewhere in every human being, no matter how stiff and seemingly self-contained! And my DH loves it, too!
    Thank you all for your support, and MARIE, so happy you are back , even though that fluey thing lingers on. Keep resting and drink loads of fluids, luv!
    <3 Buzz
  • Blueharebell1
    Options
    BUZZ you are right. No question, Maggie Smith IS good. Anne
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Anne - No I don't watch Coronation Street I guess I should some time.

Super Bowl game is on now and I am going upstairs to watch Downton Abbey. :D

Katie Perry had quite a show on half time. I like her and think she sings great!

Shirley
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,177 Member
    Options
    21,000+ steps today. Yippee! :D
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,120 Member
    Options
    Ate two much...watching Blacklist while riding the bike!