Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hi all, it was a full day for me yesterday. Kind of a Debora day! ;) I was at the farmer's market by 8am to pick up some essential oils I want to send Grace for Christmas. Also got some chard and a nice man gave me his beet greens. Then drove to a friend Sara's house. We went to a Young Living essential oils gathering. No one else showed up but the 2 of us but we had a nice time. We got to talking about what the woman does for a living. She gives lymph and detox massages or something like that. Very interesting. I'd like to have her give Dan a cleansing massage. She is also a Christian and we all ended up praying for Dan. Very sweet. Got home and it was soon time to leave for our monthly free library concert. It was excellent. Afterward we went to Grocery Outlet, Big 5, then had lunch/dinner and went to Trader Joe's and Sprouts. Whew! Watched a recorded movie afterward.

Jami got the results of her MRI and got a clean bill of health. Thank you Lord! They saw a 2 cm hole and said that is where she is bleeding from. They packed it and she has to come in daily to change the packing until it heals.

Debora, what a week! glad it all went pretty smoothly. Sorry about your uncle. Hope he recovers. Get some relaxation in!

Sheryl, hope you are able to pop in soon. I miss you!

Anew, crazy that you got snow. How is the crepe myrtle?

Well, it's time to leave for church. Have a wonderful week everyone!
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    edited December 2017
    Good Morning. Brrr, so cold, we've been in the low 20's overnights for almost a week now, but getting above freezing during the day. With no clouds, the sun shines bright, extremely bright!!!!! John looks out the window and heads outside without a jacket, it looks so nice. I have to stop him and get him bundled up, I feel like an over-protective mother, but I hate his complaining when he comes back in about being so cold.

The highlights magazine arrived and with the first one, got the calendar. A bit disappointed because the squares for each day of the month are too small for me to mark all my appointments on, just not enough room. I guess I'll have to buy a calendar this year. Last year, I got a free one from somewhere, can't remember, and previous years, a friend who is a realtor mailed out nice ones for Christmas gifts, I guess she may have retired since we don't get one anymore. Her husband used to fly with John at Horizon Air and I know he is retired now.

Isabella, glad that your plumbing issues were not even more serious than they were and it sounds like it's under control now. Terrible water damage can lead to so many more problems.
    I did not watch the diabetes webinar series. Started watching one on Alzheimer's, but never finished that one. Completed the cancer one and Bible Health Secrets, very interesting. They re-mastered the cannabis one, The Sacred Plant, and ran it again, but I skipped it. Supposedly had more interviews with more experts and doctors and testimonials. The co-founder/producer sent out an email that his wife and partner died from pancreatic cancer. So sad, she was a big part of the webinar series that I watched before. I liked her and I assume that they probably had some sort of tribute to her in the remixed version. In fact, the whole series was produced because cannabis saved her father from cancer. He had been given only months to live and they wouldn't sit around waiting for him to die and tried the CBD oil and it worked for him. That was quite a few years ago and he's apparently out-lived his daughter.
    There was also a whole series about treating our pets for cancer, I did not watch that one either, I've got enough to deal with with John and myself, not worried about cancer in our pets.

We did end up going back to VisionWorks for John's glasses. Since we had gotten them from there in 2015 after his cataract surgery and we had gotten the light weight plastic and some special UV protection that seemed to please John very much, I decided not to deviate from it. WalMart's version was no cheaper and I did not like the technician there and did not feel like shopping around more. Anyway, John is very happy with his new glasses, so it was all well worth it.

Anew, I trust that the fence is done by now. I know how much hard work it is putting up a fence, but so worth it to keep your property safe and everybody else out.
    It is Pam and Jim who live in Fallbrook, they are doing OK. Pam said that they left for one night, but came back and their house was fine. Lots of smoke, but no fire damage. Carla and Tony (czoerun and cactusman) live near there too, but are just fine regarding the fires. Carla starts chemo soon and is dreading that. I'm sure we'll get more info on the fires from Isabella, she's really close by also.

Debora, you and my sister have asked about the cat, yes, she is still hanging around, making this her home now. She's in and out constantly, she'll be at the door, I let her out and soon John is looking for her, will go outside, find her and entice her to come back in. She's very compliant to his wishes but sometimes, she'll come in one door and go to the other door and want right back out again. And, of course, most of the time, she'll find a cozy place to curl up and sleep and John checks on her constantly to make sure she's still breathing. He can't get over how much she sleeps, typical cat, sleep all day and on the prowl at night.

I need to get some hay out for the llamas, with frost on the ground, I'm putting out hay every morning for awhile and carrying out buckets of hot water to break up the ice. My morning work outs, then I deal with John all day and am ready for bed by dark, which is about 5:30 these days. I go on to bed, but he comes in through out the evening and asks me all kinds of questions. I don't get much sleep, but it feels so good to stretch out on the comfy bed.

• isyvanek
    edited December 2017
    Good morning all! We are finally starting to put things away that have been in boxes since the water leak. My closet is back together and I even got rid of more stuff. Of course, not enough stuff for Dan's liking but I would own next to nothing if I went by his standards! ;) We still have to leave the kitchen stuff and computer room stuff in boxes in the dining area (we call it the reading room - have never used it as a dining area) until we have the drywall guys come repair the walls and ceiling that had to be cut. Dan interviewed 2 drywallers and 1 painter this week and is trying to decide who to hire. Seems you can't get really good (Dan standard) workers these days. I need to do my Christmas cards today (and/or tomorrow) and will go over to Jami's at 2pm so she can color my hair. Then it's the usual Trader Joe's, Sprouts, quick/easy meal, and recorded movie. Such creatures of habit we are!

The Lilac fire didn't affect us here in our area of San Diego but I have several friends and co-workers that had to evacuate. Fortunately none of them lost their homes but last information I heard was 105 structures destroyed, several more damaged and 8 injuries. One thing people don't really think about is that even if a home is not burned there can still be a lot of water and/or smoke damage. One of our San Diego firefighters who was helping north of us with the Thomas fire lost his life so that was very sad.

Sheryl, SO happy to hear from you! Really miss you! I know what you mean by all the webinars. I would like to catch the Alzheimer's one if they show it again and perhaps the diabetes one but other than that, not sure if I'd spend too much time on any others. Maybe another essential oils one. Sounds like you are getting quite a work out with feeding the animals and carrying buckets of warm water to break up the ice. Very heavy stuff! I'd be tired in the evening too (or maybe take a nap in the middle of the day!). It was smart to just get the glasses the same place as last time. This way you are confident that they will be correct and John will like them, which he did. :) We've had some cold nights here too but nothing like where you are. High 40's at night and mid 80's during the day. Supposed to be mid 70's this coming week which sounds great to me! Dan went out and bought a calendar too because he didn't like the size of the squares and/or quality of the paper on the free calendars we received.

Well, I'm going to go start on my cards. Have a great week everyone! Love ya!
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Hello, It’s been awhile since I’ve sat down to chat. Right now I have Derek’s two boys here. Madden is taking a nap right now and Deacon is watching Bob the Builder. He got to go with Grandpa to ride a tractor and thought that was fun. The rest of the family went to Manhattan to a K-state basketball game and will be back here for dinner tomorrow since it’s the third Sunday. So before they came today I baked 3 pumpkin pies, made the salad made and got it and the drinks into the fridge. I’m doing hamburgers and hotdogs so an easy meal that everyone likes. My sister went to Kansas City to do Christmas with her kids so I’m even using paper plates so there won’t be so much to wash. Lazy me. Tonight we’ll finish our pizza and I have one to fix for the boys (unless they want the lunchable that didn’t get used for lunch since they didn’t came as soon as they thought).They had to stop Walmart to pick up a new plug (pacifier) cause they realized Madden had taken his out of his bag and it got left at home and he gets it when he goes to sleep. Also tonight the Youth Group goes carolers to those in the church who are 70 older (they divide into three or four groups cause it’s a large area to drive.

Day is about done. Carolers came about 8. Boys weren’t sure what to think at first. The group was small but still nice to have them come. Put the boys down after that. Deacon went right to sleep. I’m not sure Madden is asleep yet or if te new plug has gone into his mouth. As long as he doesn’t scream and cry, I won’t worry about it.

I’ve managed to stay busy. A week ago Saturday one lady in our Bible study group had us over for brunch. She let us help bring the food this year but she sets a beautiful table and we enjoy our time together. She told us Thursday that she looks forward to doing that all year. I look forward to going. Then Sunday we had Maggie all afternoon and then the evening was our children’s program at church. Our class didn’t sing their words much but they did a good job of ringing their bells and then they sat fairly nicely during the rest of the program. Monday I set up for 4-H and with the help of our church secretary, I got my stuff run off. I unlocked the church on our way to town and we went printer looking (mine quit) and then to the Sunrise band, choir, orchestra concert. It was a wonderful concert – lasted 2 hours but it wasn’t hard to sit and listen to all the different groups. Tuesday morning three of us cleaned the Community House. Then that evening was the Potwin (pre-K-4th grade) program. Again, very nice. It lasted almost an hour. Wednesday morning my friend & I worked on putting the dividers in the new cookbooks so those that buy them now won’t have too. Then I went to a friend’s house where she had me and 3 others over for a Christmas luncheon. I took a fruit salad. We ate and visited for like two hours. That evening was church – our last Wednesday evening till after the holidays. We had 3 kids to watch.

Thursday I had the day at home and I did the house, worked a bit on thinking about presents, got the tree out and other stuff – I love the going but a day at home is great too. I had Bible study that evening. Friday morning we went shopping and I even bought a couple of presents. Now I need to seriously sit down and lay out what I have and hen spend a day going shopping cause it’s too late to count on buying online anymore.
  • isyvanek
    Wow Debora, another busy week! Sounds great tho! Lots of great programs and music and visiting! What a wonderful way to spend your week! Not much shopping time left. Better make your list and check it twice! ;) Have a wonderful week!
  • isyvanek
    Hi all, wow, pretty lonely here these days! I took yesterday off. Didn't do much. Dan and I went to get his hair cut then went to Costco and Trader Joe's. Just puttered around the house and relaxed after that. Bought some seafood salad at Sprouts and added it to a nice salad and had that for lunch. Had uncured hotdogs for our Friday fun food. Don't plan on doing much today either. I heard that the movie "A Dog's Purpose" is really good so I'm going to see if I can rent it from red box and watch that tonight. I plan to make lasagna tomorrow for Christmas Eve since we will be going to Jami's for Christmas dinner this year. Dan doesn't want to go so I'm hoping he'll change his mind because I won't go without him. If we don't go, I'll still take my green bean casserole to Jami - I don't want to "leave a hole" in their meal.

Well, Merry Christmas everyone! I'll try to check back in on Christmas day but if not, God's blessings to you all for a wonderful Christmas and a blessed 2018!

Love ya!
  • arobed53
    Hi everyone. Another week has sped by. Monday I figured out what I needed to shop for – laid what gifts I had out – didn’t even have to clean up much in the basement cause the kids had done most of it (shock). Tuesday morning I babysat at Bible study and then Ralph and I went shopping. He stayed in the car at a lot of places but took me all the places I wanted to go. We left about 11:30 and got home about 8:30. I quickly ordered a couple of things online that would still make it.
    Wednesday I worked on the Echoes and then was at home. I spread out all I had bought and then figured what I still needed and started wrapping what I could. Thursday was more of the same but after lunch we decided to go to town again. Ralph went back to the bookstores where he had a coupon and got a book or two and then we went to visit my Uncle. He’s in a different hospital. From what my niece has learned, his sons are working on getting him into a nursing home but I’m not sure he understands that. He was talking about his van so he thinks he’ll be driving again.
    Friday was the usual errands. I decided to buy some bulky yarn and crochet a little doll blanket to go with one gift. I started it while the guy was here hooking up our printer. We set it up with the cord so it wasn’t hard do to. Now I need to get set up with our free trial of instaink and see how that goes. Along with crocheting, I made another batch of puppy chow and baked up some peppernut dough that was in the freezer from last year cause it hadn’t worked good then. Still didn’t now and they turned into regular cookies they taste okay. Don’t know what the problem was. But it’s baked up now.
    This morning I made cream puffs. It’s my sister’s birthday and I always send her a few and we get the rest. I made small ones this time. They can scoop up the cool whip on the puff and I won’t try to fill them. I picked up the house, did the dishes. We finished the last of the hamburgers from last Sunday for dinner. Family come tonight = will start showing up around 4:30. Alan was over here to use the printer and wanted to know if they could come early cause the kids get so antsy.
  • sannferris
    Merry Christmas, we're having a "White Christmas" for a change, well, sort of. Turning into a Slush Christmas. It snowed yesterday, just beautiful, but only in the 30's overnight and no new snow, so it's melting already and not so beautiful. Especially when you see my big footprints and all the animal tracks that have exposed the mud.

Had several appointments this past week and another one tomorrow. Like Ralph, John goes with me but sits in the car most of the time and listens to Bluegrass CDs. At least I know where he is and what he's doing. John is getting worse rather quickly, he's harder to reason with and gets testy with me. A side of him that I'm not used too, nor do I like, but we're coping.

Norma and her John spent Christmas Eve with her younger son's in-laws last night, will be with Mom's side of the family this afternoon, but Mom is not planning to attend, so I think they plan to stop by and see her before going to my uncle's house. They will be arriving here very late Wednesday night, flying into PDX and renting a car, so I will most likely just go on to bed and see them Thursday morning. We'll have Thursday morning together and Norma plans to wrap the gifts she bought for Brent, Beth and the boys, and Beth's parents (they moved up here too). Norma and John ordered on-line and had all the stuff delivered here, less to bring on the plane. Then, they plan to drive to Brent's house in Albany on Thursday and come back here on Saturday. If they were spending more days at Brent's, John and I were going to drive down for a few hours one of the days, but the way their schedule is going, I think we'll stay home and wait for them to come back here. I don't want to intrude on their family Christmas. John and I are big scrooges and I did not buy any gifts, not even for the boys. I'm so far out of the loop, I wouldn't know what to get kids anymore. Also, one of the gifts that Norma is giving them is a family portrait, so they arranged for all of them to dress up and to go to a studio on Friday for a sitting. It will be Brent's family with both sets of grandparents. Norma cherishes the photo of her family when her boys were little with all the grandparents, so she wanted to pass that tradition along.

Well, looks like all my news is more about my sister than me. She has a fuller life, I just stay home or go see doctors and therapists. ha ha

Have a Merry Christmas, I hope each of you has a blessed time with family and friends.
  • isyvanek
    Good morning ladies! Merry Christmas! Had a very nice quiet Christmas Eve yesterday. Just Dan and I. We relaxed all day and sat out in the sun. I started a new book called Beautiful Ruins. It takes place in Italy in the 60's and in Hollywood in the present. I'm enjoying it. I made lasagna. It didn't come out as good as last year (the sauce is a tad sweet which I don't really care for) but it is good. Today we will go to Jami's. We don't have to be there until 5pm so we will have a nice relaxing day here first.

Debora, what are you making for Christmas dinner? Do you all exchange gifts or do you pick names since you have such a large family? Good that you got all your shopping done for the most part and were able to still get a couple of things on line. Did you order from Amazon?

Sheryl, Hope all the Dr. appts went well. Sorry John is getting worse. I remember how it was with my mom. I wasn't there with her all the time like my brother was. My heart definitely goes out to you. It's been cool here but of course, nothing like what you are experiencing. My brother in NJ got snow. Now that he is retired he doesn't have to drive in it tho so it isn't as serious as it used to be. Nice that you will get a chance to see Norma and John. Makes sense to wait and see her when she comes back rather than travel. I'm with you, I really don't know what to get for kids anymore either. The portrait sounds like a wonderful idea! Always like hearing about you and also Norma. No matter what. :)

Well, Merry Christmas to all! God's blessings to you!
  • arobed53
    Merry Christmas. Feels like it was another Sunday but a very special day. Back to Friday, we all enjoyed pizza (except for Jim who doesn't eat after 3) and lots of good snacking stuff. The small cream puffs were a hit. We had cheese, crackers, cookies, nifty nuts and more. Ralph read the Christmas story and we got the annual Grandparent/grandkid picture. We let Derek take care of handing out the gifts one at a kind and it went smoothly. Everyone stayed till around 9. Each of the families get us each a gift - very special. After everyone was gone, I straightened the house got the drinks out for Sunday and went to bed about the usual time (oh yes, one grandson saw a mouse during the evening but only told me about it).

Sunday was Sunday School and church and then the usual bunch here for dinner - did frozen lasagna - easy meal. We had a good time visiting and they left around 3. Ralph and I went to a Christmas Eve service at 5. Nice service and got to hear the pastor (classmate of oldest son in grade school). I again straightened the house (not a lot to do) and pulled ham out of freezer cause son-in-law asked if they could come again. I invited Alan's family but he said they would just go home. I didn't find that out till this morning so just fixed what I would have had they come and was going to enjoy the leftovers.

So this morning, I got up and got the food on and went to our Christmas Day service. Prelude was a medley with 4 pianists and then a cantata ending with whoever wanted to join the choir singing the Hallellujah Chorus. Got to visit with people we don't see often and then home for dinner. I was pulling the ham out of the oven when Alan's kids walked in and asked if there would be enough food for them. They were driving home and saw the other cars here so wondered why they weren't eating here. So they did. We had ham, spicy potatoes, mixed veggies, leftover pizza, applesauce, leftover fruit salad and cookies. I did use paper plates this time so not as much to wash. We watched the I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyck Christmas shows and visited. Now I'm working on my list - don't have to hurry to straighten the house this time. Tomorrow is half price day at the thrift store and the Claassen cousins get-together in the evening. Kept back some puppy chow to take and might make some popcorn (flavored with a little bit of sugar mixture). Thought I'd be settling back down to regular stuff but that might wait a bit longer.

Sheryl, fun on the snow even if it's not lasting long. We had a slight dusting the other morning but with all the traveling I don't mind. It is cold - just getting up in the 30s. Glad you made it to all your appointments. Nice that John enjoys the car too. Sorry to hear he's a bit more testy. Will keep praying. How fun to have Norma and John come and how smart to have the gifts sent to you and wrap them there. You can get in on their fun that way. What a good idea to use the family shoot as a gift. We haven't done a family one for awhile. If it was a gift, I could 'justify" the cost better. Thanks for the idea. Love hearing about Norma and her visit revolves around you cause you get her coming and going. You'll get better acquainted with her John too. Enjoy the time.

Isabella, glad to hear Dan and you are enjoying time at Jaime's (probably as I write). Nice for some relaxing time for you. You do fun stuff but your weekends are often full.
    You asked about how I do gifts. I still buy for everyone but I make them give me ideas. The kids draw names between them and then the ones with kids do by family. Matthew and Julie still get a little gift for all the grands. Everyone seemed to enjoy their gifts. A couple were confused that my sister didn't come. I love having her here on Sunday but I do enjoy a few times with just us.

Still working on our mouse problem. Ralph even had holes chewed in one of his shirts. Ug Really must declutter.

Even though we won't be home a lot tomorrow, I want to get a list made - not sure why but it sure helps me. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
  • arobed53
    The cold weather continues but no snow or ice. Temp started at 8 and got up to 18 so a tad warmer than yesterday. Got out my heavier coat and am wearing long johns so doing okay. Tuesday was half price day at the thrift store. We waited and went after eating lunch. Got a box of books and a few pencils. Then we went to Dollar Tree and Walmart to look for a watch - guess I'm pickier than I thought). We finished in time to go to Claassen Christmas - this is with Ralph's cousins (there were 50 of them) - I'd guess only about 80 came but there were lots of good snacks and visiting.

Today I worked on the Echoes with Arlene - then we picked up Gladys (another friend) and drove about 30 miles to a little town that two girls from here have a bakery/eatery in - we all had chili and then a cherry kolache for dessert. I got a container with 4 of them so could bring one home to Ralph. When we got back I went to Gladys' house and went over the treasurer's stuff for Willing Workers since I start the job in January. Shouldn't be too hard to do. I've done it before but it has been a few years.

Tomorrow I'm home until our church's annual business meeting in the evening. There's plenty to do. I'd like to get the house straightened since my sister comes Saturday, make a list of who I think will come Sunday and what I need to buy and what kind of pizza and then whatever else I can get done. I started back on my decluttering and have almost done another box. Hopefully, I'll stay with it better this year. I'm glad we get to stay in this evening.
  • sannferris
    edited December 2017
    Good Morning, a quick note...Norma and her John arrived very late last night and put themselves to bed. I heard them but did not get up. They are still in bed this morning and my John went back to bed too. I got all the animals fed and watered and trying to keep as quiet as I can. Ha ha, I'm a very noisy person, usually have the tv blaring all day long.

We'll have breakfast together and Norma will wrap all the gifts that were delivered here and then they are off to Brent and Beth's this afternoon. We'll have them back on Sunday, through Wednesday.

Our snow is just about all gone now and the temp is in the high 30's, should be in the 40's the rest of the week with rain. Typical NW winter weather.

• arobed53
    2018 is getting close – do any of you do anything special to bring in the New Year? We don’t. My sister will be here – she’s coming up because we have Christmas on my side tomorrow and will stay here. We may make it till 11 but who knows.

Being at home Thursday was nice. I did get the house straightened. I spent time hunting for the farm account books – took me two days to remember the good place I put it. Now I can work on it. I got a list made of what I needed to buy for Sunday. Our church business meeting was in the evening. It didn’t finish until 10 this year. I did get nominated for one position but Ralph gave the okay to decline. He agrees that I have enough to do right now whether it’s a hard job or not.

Friday was the usual errand. No popcorn at the bank this week but my coffee maker was ready to pick up. We were home by noon and ate part of the sub sandwich we got at Walmart. Ralph’s bargain was two of the mini apple pies they sell on the day old rack for $ .03 each. He hasn’t eaten one yet so I don’t know how they are. I got our food gifts of the exchange we’ll have Sunday from the marked down Christmas candy. In the afternoon I got the few gifts wrapped, gathered everything I need to take together and this and that. We finished up the ham from Monday for supper

Today has been a quiet day. I baked cookies this morning using refrigerated dough that was on sale yesterday (my snack for tomorrow), got things I needed out of the guest room so it’s ready for my sister, have done dishes twice and whatever else is on the list. We are almost up to 20 degrees, the sun is shining and it’s not real windy so around 3 I’ll load my stuff up and take it to church. Another group has been in the church today so wanted to wait until they don’t have as much left to do.

Enjoy the end of 2017. And if I don’t get back on – HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheryl, wonderful that Norma and John arrived safely. I’m sure the gifts were wrapped and they are off celebrating. And soon you’ll get to spend some time with them. How fun.

• isyvanek
    edited December 2017
    Good morning all! Had a nice Christmas with Jami and her family. I met an old friend that I haven't seen in a couple of years for lunch yesterday. We had a really nice time catching up for a couple of hours and agreed that we have to get together more often. Now Dan and I are celebrating a nice New Year weekend just the 2 of us. We plan to go to the movies today with some free tickets I got at my work gift exchange then we plan to go to late lunch early dinner at a Chinese restaurant called Chins. It is so close we can walk there. Then we'll watch a recorded movie. I will make shrimp and broccoli fettuccini Alfredo for dinner tomorrow to celebrate New Years day. One of Dan's favorite meals.

Sheryl, I know you are having a wonderful visit with Norma and John. So glad that you all are able to spend some time together.

Debora, sounds like your holidays have been wonderful. Did you get anything exciting for Christmas? Did you find a watch? Yikes, I can't believe how cold it is there!!

Well, God's blessings to all my favorite ladies for a happy healthy 2018! Love you guys!
  • sannferris
    Happy New Year. As all of us are, I'm praying for a happy, healthy new year, but then I look at the calendar and it's already filled with doctor appointments. Wow, it's a sign of getting old I guess.

Norma and John had a great time with Brent and Beth and family. They got back here late Saturday night and yesterday, we had a leisurely morning, and met Jack and Gayla for lunch and visited and showed John our property and animals. We were all in bed by 10 pm. Not sure what's happening today yet, but tomorrow, we plan to drive the Columbia River Scenic Highway and show them as much of the sights as we can. It's possible that we can't drive the whole thing due to the fires this past summer and therefore the mud slides that the rains brought on. Not sure if the road is completely open right now. But, whatever part we see, it will be beautiful. The weather is forecast to be sunny and dry, but still cold, so we'll have the car toasty warm.

Isabella, shrimp and broccoli fettuccini alfredo sounds wonderful, what a great celebration dinner.

Debora, sounds like you and Ralph can really find the bargains.

Enjoy the day.
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    edited January 2018
    Happy New Year Ladies! Can't believe it's 2018 already! Sorry I've been so bad at keeping in touch but my teenagers keep me busy. We have a hate/dislike/annoyed with me relationship at this point. Seriously sometimes I think my breathing annoys them :neutral:

I read the report that Marcie's dad sent and I wonder if she had Hep C? I haven't really heard of people having chronic peritonitis but I work with kids and it's something we don't see. The only reason I thought of Hep C was the radio stations have been playing the commercial over and over for Hep C! "did you know 1 out of 30 baby boomers have undiagnosed Hep C?" It's stuck in my head. Either way I still miss Marcie and her pics of her pets. Sure hope her dad is doing well!

We had a great Thanksgiving that I hosted and a busy Christmas. With my hip, I just slowly cleaned the house which worked out great. My hip didn't hurt nearly as bad as it could have. Weird thing is that my hip started hurting again 2 weeks after Thanksgiving. It's better again but I can't figure out why sometimes it hurts more. Compared to 2 years ago it is so much better, I do have pain everyday but it's more annoying than truly painful. I am completely grateful for less pain! Hoping that this years improves my hip even more.

Since I worked Christmas day, 'Santa' came on the 24th! The boys were able to open their gifts and didn't have to wait for me to get home. They seemed pretty happy with everything they got. Austin's big gift was a gaming chair to use while playing PS4. He got it put together and loves that it reclines and swivels. DJ mostly got fishing stuff, he is in love with his new rod and his gortex rain jacket. He literally hasn't taken the jacket off since he got it. He didn't even ask for the jacket, I just thought that he needed something that was waterproof for spring/fall so if he went and it started raining he wouldn't be soaked! New Year's was boring and I literally only got out of bed yesterday to refill my drink or eat :) With the temp at -4 (really abnormal for us) there was no reason to do much. Our high school band went to the Rose Bowl so I did watch and tape it for our friends who kids were there.

That's about it for me....same stuff, different day mostly!

Sheryl--glad John's back is better and you got the new eyeglasses! Glad that Norma and John got to come visit you. Good luck with the fat rat, I hope you get him soon. I loved your 'he looks at the camera and mocks me' comment :) Any word from Granny?

Deborah--always busy and I was interested to read about your Dallas adventure. I thought toothpaste was something you could send to the kids in the shoebox. I never could figure out how some people can pack so much in that little box!

Isabella--so happy Jami is ok! I didn't quite understand why she was bleeding but am glad that she doesn't have any other problems. Glad your plumbing issues are fixed! I hate plumbing issues--so expensive but if it's not fixed it's even more expensive!

Anew--glad to hear things are going well for you! It must feel good to be able to check more things off your to do list :)

That's it for now, will try (but not promising) to check in more this year! Just cause Im not here doesn't mean I don't think of all of you! :)

• arobed53

Sunday was a great other than being cold. The pizza went over well. Lots of snacking stuff left surprisingly. The food exchange was good. The kids had fun together. Some pizza left so helped a few us out with supper. Thomas came over till the Youth Group party started. My sister and I stayed up the ball dropped in New York (11 here) and then she went to bed. Ralph had gone earlier and I went about 11:30 but came to around midnight and later when Thomas got in at 1:30. They decided he would stay here and drive home in the daylight. We ate breakfast around 9 and then my sister and Thomas headed off. Rest of the day I worked on my list for Tuesday and a load of laundry and little stuff. Our weather is cold but roads are clear – so much better than what a lot of places have. Today it got up above freezing. Very thankful for my nice warm coat.

Tuesday I had the entire day at home and plugged away on my list. Wednesday I babysat for Derek and Lindsey for most of the morning. Ralph went along to check the places he looks for books. Then we ate at McDonalds and headed home. Then we had church in the evening. The kiddos I babysit were okay with being in the nursery after 3 weeks off so that was nice. This morning I got some things done at home. This afternoon was Willing Workers. I helped with making Wordless Book bracelets. Refreshments were good. In awhile we’ll heat up the chili and then it’s off to 4-H Council. Tomorrow is town. Back to all the usual stuff – 4-H, farm account book, etc. etc.

Isabella, sounds like you had a nice Christmas. How nice to meet up with an old friend. No nothing exciting in gifts but some nice things. A grandma address stamp for when I write the grandkids, a nice bag with yarn, some gift cards and a box of chocolates. Yes, I did find a watch – almost like my old one. Right now my sister has it so she can make the band small enough. But I have the loaner she gave me so getting along fine.

Sheryl, how was the drive with Norma and John. Sounds like you were having a good time together and I’m sure the time went way too fast.

Janie, so good to hear from you. Your life is so busy with kids and work. I enjoy it whenever you find time to drop in. Glad your hip pain is workable cause you have plenty to do. And I know what it’s like with kids. Never a dull moment. Isn’t it fun when a gift they didn’t ask for turns out to be such a hit. Pop in when you can. Operation Christmas Chile - this was the first year you couldn’t put in toothpaste or candy. Too much trouble with customs.

Oh, I am going to do an 8 week challenge starting next Monday. My competitive nature will help me but some of it won’t be easy. But I’ll certainly be eating better – only one day with surgary treats will be the hardest. I’ll lose points if I slip up and we pool some money and a couple will win. I like to win (evil laugh).

Better get supper on and get ready to go.
  • isyvanek
    Good morning all, I'm having a nice quiet day today. I actually slept in until 9! I haven't done that probably since I was a teenager! :) Didn't get to bed until 12:30 tho so that is part of the reason. The melatonin I took helped also. We'll go shopping around 3:30pm. Sprouts is having their quarterly 25% off health and beauty and an extra 10% off if you spend over $100 so we will stock up on our supplements today and try to keep the other groceries to a minimum this week. 35% off is too good to pass up.

On New Years Eve we ended up watching the old movie version of Time Machine by Orson Wells and Thoroughly Modern Millie with Julie Andrews. Both turned out to be perfect for the occasion! :) We watched the last 2 minutes before the ball dropped in NY which was perfect. Their New Years eve show just isn't what it used to be. Or maybe it's just us.

We plan to try a new church tomorrow called Church of Rancho Bernardo (evangelical). We'll see how it goes. I hope we like it.

Jannie, SO great to hear from you! We'd love to have you check in a tad more often but yes, whatever you can do is fine by us. Teen years are always filled with angst. Just know it's not you. And they know it too! They just can't help themselves! Sounds like you nailed it on the Christmas gifts! Great job! You really know your guys. Glad that your hip is manageable. I hope it does get less and less troubling. As for Jami's bleeding issues, sorry I wasn't more clear. It was vaginal and all due to the mesh they put in many years ago for a prolapsed uterus. The surgeon put in double the mesh, front and back and it came loose from the arms and moved around. Not only was it cutting into her vaginal wall but it also went into some organs. They had to do immediate surgery while she still had some tissue left in the vaginal wall to repair. There is still some mesh in the organs that is too dangerous to remove. I guess that is a wait and see situation. There is a class action suit (or perhaps several) for women with mesh issues.

Sheryl, I know your visit with Norma and John was way too short! How did the drive on the Columbia River Scenic Hwy go? Were parts of it closed?

Debora, who are you doing the challenge with? Is it family or friends or something on line? Sounds like a great idea! Nothing like competitive spirit and/or monetary incentive to keep us motivated. ;)

Well, I'm going to close now and go finish my book. :) Have a wonderful week ladies!
  • arobed53
    Hi, Isabella,wow on watching movies and ending just in time for the new yar. Yay on sleeping in. You must have needed it. Prayers that this church is a good fit. Now that you mention it, I have heard ads about the class action deal on the mesh but didn't realize what it could entail. How horrible for her. Smart to take advantage of such a good sale at Sprouts. Was it a big crowd when you went?

After doing the shopping on Friday, I've pretty much been home. I did have to run into Potwin in the afternoon cause we forgot to stop on the way home and I happened to check the balance so got the check taken in. Drove by and found the house where I'm leaving some cartridges when it's a bit warmer. Not sure if the cold affects them or not.

I got my stuff done for Sunday, have spent too long hunting for something that shouldn't be hard to find. Quit for tonight. Still fighting mice but the poison is disappearing so hope the mice will too. I teach Sunday School tomorrow. Last week the wise men followed the star. This week they give little boy Jesus their gifts. The afternoon is a 75th birthday party and then CE in the evening so it will be a full day. Got the new printer up and going - even wireless - really enjoying it.

A friend from church set it up the challenge but it's a facebook group so some of her friends that live elsewhere are also doing it. I'm trying out a new logging site too (nutritionix.com). This is my first day to long but is pretty easy to do. But I'll still be checking in here every day.

Monday is 4-H so will do all that stuff. Farm books are due the next week so will finish them up. We want to take a load of boxes to Kansas City to ship this month too so plenty to do.

It's still cold but has gotten above freezing the last couple of days. I'm sure we could use the moisture but I like that there are no problems getting around like so many places have.

Enjoy your work week.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning, just another quick note to say Hi and let you know I'm still here, or back, whichever way we look at this...my modem went out and I finally got a new one and got it connected.

Going to the eye doctor this morning, so no time again, hopefully more later.