Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited February 2016
    Sitting here at the computer and listening to the TV as I wait for Thomas to get here. The Youth Group had the guy and gal Bible studies and one of the sponsors will drop him off here to spend the night. It was a nice day here. Got up to 83 in the house - only 77 outside (but that's warm for February). I baked today - apple raspberry cookies for dessert tomorrow for Julie's birthday and cinnamon chip cookies for Ralph cause I finished up the sugar cookies. Got most of the stuff done I wanted to get done and we went to a soup supper at a nearby church. Not many people there but I suppose the nice day had people doing other activities and not hungry for soup. I ate too much but enjoyed it all at the moment. I was checking out all the chocolate desserts when one of my 4-Hers showed me the banana cake she had made so I had a piece of it (was good) and then had a brownie too along with one big and one small bowl of soup. Tomorrow is when all the kids come so I added the third table and moved the recliner in front of the TV. Made some more progress on the embroidery on the afghan. I have to really pay attention. I've had to rip out some (no fun) and my stitches aren't all even but I think it will look okay when it's done.

Friday was normal - walking with friend and then errands in town and then doing stuff here. It was almost my highest step day (over 27,000) - even did some outside in the afternoon. We did the usual pizza and salads. Avocados are still on sale at Walmart so picked up a couple more for my meal of the time. I suppose I'll tire of it eventually like Marcie and popcorn. We usually have popcorn Sunday evenings. It's a good snack.

Sheryl, so sad that the metallic marker didn't last any longer. Guess I'll leave mine as it is. I bought a keyboard to try but go to thinking it's may not work with this set-up but guess I should check it out. Thanks for the Blue Apron info. I'll get back to you when I'm ready. Sorry the electric company is so slow. Will you change your Monday errand now. Glad the time for Norma and Simon is going okay.

Marcie, glad you have your car back. Silly of them to keep putting it off. Are you buzzing around again this weekend?
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2016
    Good morning everyone!
    Thanks so much to all of you for the Happy Birthday wishes! Thanks so much for remembering! I have been having a wonderful birthday week. When I got to work on Wednesday my desk was piled with happy birthday balloons, there was a bouquet of yellow tulips from my boss and a large Lindt salted pretzel chocolate bar, and a card signed by everyone in the office. They made me feel VERY special! Then my good friend at work Paula took me out to lunch. Dan took me out to dinner to a Mexican restaurant that we hadn't tried before and it was very nice. Then yesterday which was Saturday my friend Jami took me shopping for my birthday and we found a good sale at Macy's and I got 3 shirts and a pair of pants all for $42. It is our tradition every year to take each other out shopping for our birthdays (we used to cap the spending at $40 but now that Dan is out of work we capped it at $25). We always have a really nice day together. Then last but not least, Dan and I and Jami and her husband Joe went to dinner at a restaurant that they discovered recently called Joe's Italian Restaurant. It was very good and we had a great time. The one thing that I got for my birthday that I did not want was a sinus infection!! I could not breath on Thursday so I took Friday off and stayed home and rested and slept and sat outside in the sun and read. I had already taken Friday off as a vacation day and had planned to go hiking but my boss let me switch it to a sick day. I feel SO much better today!!! Almost back to normal, just a bit of a cough.

Sheryl, crazy that Simon is having all these medical issues now but God has a plan and hopefully this will be a wakeup call for Simon and something that will bring he and Norma closer if their relationship is meant to be. I actually did think about the presidents on their birthdays. :wink: Since their birthdays have always been so close to mine, I always remember that Abe's is Feb 12th and George's is Feb 22nd. :smiley: Wow, you can't even depend on the power company these days! You would think they would rush out there to take care of that fallen limb because they don't know what the potential danger would be. I too think your romantic shower idea is a good one. Hopefully it will pan out. Hope you don't have to postpone your lunch dates for too long.

Anew, thanks for the info on where you got the biocleaner. I have used soft scrub here and it does work pretty well. Your gold rose is beautiful. How sweet of hubby to honor you in that way.

Marcie, Good for you on walking around your building. The weather has been amazing. It is supposed to get very hot again this coming week. Bummer about your car. I can't believe it took them that long to take care of the issue then had the nerve to give you a dirty car. That is unheard of around here - the dealerships make a big deal of washing your car before they give it back to you. I just brought mine in for a recall check - it was fine - and they even washed the car after that. I actually asked them not to wash the car because they don't do a very good job of wiping the windows, but they washed it anyway! :neutral: We have a Mongolian grill near us called Stir Fresh. I think the cost for a single serving is $8.99. We don't go often but we really like it. The single serving is always enough for us. You can always tell who the experienced customers are who go there often. They have it down to an art. It is amazing how much people can pile into one of those bowls!!!
    When I make my lasagna I put mushrooms and onions in the sauce with the ground beef and ground sausage, then when I place the layers - after the sauce I put slices of eggplant that I have already baked. It is very tasty.
    Do you pop your popcorn in a pot or in the microwave? Dan and I have been on a popcorn kick lately too. We have discovered this bagged popcorn at the store. The brand is called "boom chicka pop" and it is very fresh tasting (and has been on sale). We will eat a whole bag during a Saturday night TV viewing session. :) My full-o-meter has always been broken too. Also, it was interesting recently - I had some "pangs" in my stomach and had to ask myself what the heck that was, and finally realized they were hunger pangs!! Oh, so that's what that feels like! :wink:

Debora, as I just mentioned to Marcie above, my lasagna turned out very well. We will get about 5 more meals out of it. That is why I only make it once a year and freeze portions - so the work that goes into it and the expense are worth it. I did not end up paying extra for the bulk sausage by the way. I checked the meat case first and they had 2 packages of bulk that they were charging $4.79 lb then they had 2 packages that were $3.99 lb because they were going to be stale dated in a couple of days so I just bought those since I was going to use them that night anyway. So it all worked out - no thanks to them!!!

Today will be my usual - church, then grocery shopping, then cooking up some stuff for the week. I'm not going to do too much. I still want to take it easy.

Have a great day everyone and enjoy your week!
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    Hi ladies! Been checking in but so busy I've been unable to stop and chat :) Love reading about all of you and your daily doings!

Nothing really new here. I went back to the rheumatologist and she said that I could have had the strep issue since I was 9 (that was when I was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis) and that it reacted again for whatever reason this year. I will be on the medicine for at least 6 months before we talk about weaning me off. I'm ok with that because I am slowly getting better. Still having some pain but compared to what it was, it's not bad. She told me it will take at least 3 months to get the inflammation under control and then I should really feel better.

I have been so jealous of all the walkers in my neighborhood--the weather has been warm the last 4 days and EVERYONE is out walking! I am still using the cane for long distances because I tend to lean to the right and throw my knee/back out of alignment if I don't use it. So, if I can get to take a leisurely walk soon, that would make me SO happy!

I 'survived' both boys Feb. birthdays! :) Actually, DJ was sick all last week (he missed 5 days of school) with a horrible stomach virus. We had to cancel his bday sleepover and I've rescheduled it for March 4th. Hopefully he will be healthy and enjoy his friends coming over.

Anew-- seriously, you amaze me with your projects! I'm glad you have found a good cleaning product :)

Aero--how do you keep everything organized? I'm tired for you! What is a seed meeting? Do they share 'seed' packets? For some reason I envision little packets of seeds being passed around! :)

Sheryl-- I hope that the Electric Company comes soon. It would not be good if the tree limb actually damages the wire! Glad Norma and Simon are getting along. Your mom is very funny in the ways she gets her attention. I bet Norma gets sick of her manipulations! Hope you can get John into the showering mode soon :)

Marcie--Loved the photo! Haven't seen the cat/unicorn one before :) My boys make popcorn every day too! I don't eat it, it always gets stuck in between my teeth and then it rubs and causes me pain. I love it but the pain isn't worth it! I hate when they push my car to the back of the line even when I've dropped it off first! UGH!

Ivanek--Happy belated birthday. That pretzel chocolate bar sounds delish! :) I hope your sinuses get better. It's only February and my allergies have been bothering me too :(

Hope you all have a great week! Hoping for lots of sunshine for all of us!! :)
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Good Morning. Should be a nice day, just a slight chance of showers this morning and then clearing. A sunny day is forecast for tomorrow. I don't want to reschedule having my blood checked today, so I'll call the power company and check on the status of my work order and tell them I'll be gone from 11am to about 12:30 pm. I'm only in the office about 10 minutes to have a finger prick, but maybe I'll stop at TJ's while I'm so close to the store. The oncology office is about 1/2 mile down the same street at TJ's and a big Fred Meyer. Also, I pass a Safeway store on the way, so I'll pop in there and get a couple things on my list, but will keep it quick.

Wow, Jannie, TWO birthdays within one month. Busy February. Sorry DJ was so sick though. I hope he's better by now and completely recovered to enjoy the sleepover in March.

John was a handful yesterday. I have come to rely on sports on tv on the weekends to occupy his time, but it didn't hold his attention this past weekend. He told me that he was looking for a circuit tester and I know that we have several different types. I remember having them all in a labeled toolbox, but I couldn't find it. In the process of looking, I found a lot of other stuff moved around in the garage and remembered that John told me he reorganized again over the weekend that I was in California for the wedding. We searched and searched, but didn't find it yet. I know it's here somewhere and it will turn up, but when John couldn't even remember what he wanted the tester for, I gave up the search. Oh, how I wish he'd leave everything in it's original spot, then I could go right to it when he asks for it.

Isabella, glad that your birthday was a great one. Going out to dinner is always a nice treat. The other John and his wife want us to join them for Mexican sometime soon, it's been a very, very long time since we've gone out with them. Before I got sick, we'd get together about every other month, now, my John just keeps making excuses not to go.
    I've received a couple Macy's coupons in the mail and desperately need some new slacks, your shopping trip makes me want to stop by Macy's and see what deals I can find there. Maybe, depending on what the power company tells me on the phone, I'll take a little extra time today since I'm already out. Otherwise, I don't know when I'll be out again. Or, I'll have to make a special trip just for shopping.

Marcie, I am actually shocked that the Toyota dealer left you with a dirty car, greasy handprint. I have always been so impressed at how clean my dealership leaves my car. Worse yet, putting you less and less priority and making you wait so long. Do you get constant surveys asking for your input? I do and when I answer, it's always favorable. You can vent to them that way, if you choose to, I guess sometimes, it's better to let these things go and forget about it, but still!!!! Now, I keep getting letters from my dealership and Toyota Corporate asking me if I want to sell them my car. "Your model Scion and the excellent condition you have kept it in is in HIGH demand, we can help you trade into a new model for very little money". Ha! I bought this car to last a lot longer than 3 years. I still have the maintenance package on it for another 3 years. I'm not parting with it.

All of your talk about walking, makes me wish for a walking buddy. I have the dvd's that Granny turned me onto, but it's not the same as actually getting outside and walking with friends. One of the care coordinators at my doctor's office, we were talking about exercise, told me about a free tai chi class held on Monday and Wednesday mornings at the mall, but it's from 9 - 10 am and I don't know if I can leave John that early on a regular basis. I don't schedule any appointments until after 11 am, to make sure John is up and knows where I'm going. She also said that just walking around the mall is good exercise and I remember, working at H&R Block in the mall, there would be lots of seniors walking the mall early every morning, before the stores open. I definitely need to be moving more, just daily feeding the animals does not seem to be enough. I should push the vacuum around the house more, but I sure can put that off too. I wish procrastinating was a legitimate exercise, I'd be queen.

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Good morning everyone.

Couldn't get my act together this morning and was about 20 late leaving for work. Then the traffic was worse than normal. Then when I got to the downtown area, they were doing construction on the road and took us on a 15 minute detour! Not a good start to the day/week. :/

Saturday morning I bagged up all of our empty cans and bottles (since last summer I've collected enough to fill four lawns bags, should get about $40 for it) and drove to the recycle place, but they aren't there any more. Now I'm going to have to find another one. That's two in our area that have shut down. Brought them home and will try again next week. I would have tried to look for another one on Saturday, but it was already noon and that's usually when they close for the day.

Saturday I went to the Mongolian BBQ for lunch again. Apparently they charge more on the weekend. I got a one trip only meal and it cost $12! Still, it was yummy. After lunch I went shopping for pants (finally found some I like) and shoes, then went grocery shopping.

Other than my weekly cooking and laundry, I didn't do much this weekend. I decided to be lazy and catch up on some of my recorded shows. I haven't been watching much TV lately and they've built up.

Sheryl, I was shocked about Toyota too. They don't even offer a free car wash anymore (drought). My Dad and I occasionally receive those "High demand" offers too. He just received on a few days ago to buy back his last car (that he doesn't even own anymore) and my Mom even got one recently and she's been dead for five years. That's just their way of getting people to come to the dealership and buy a new car. Mall walking is great exercise. When I go to the mall, I usually park my car at the opposite end of the mall, that way I make sure to get a a lot of walking in.

Jannie, two birthdays in the same month. Wow! I sure do hope DJ is feeling better now. Poor guy. Hope you can get out there and walk real soon. Seems like we are all having beautiful walking weather.

Isabella, wow, I never thought to add eggplant to lasagna. Great idea! Sounds like you had a terrific birthday week! Mine is coming up in a couple weeks, but we don't do anything anymore. 51 years old this year. Ugh.

Debora, over 27,000 steps. Wow!!! The most I counted was a little over 20,000. I've never embroidered before. I used to crochet a lot though, but haven't done that for a very long time.

Back to work. Have a great day everyone.
  • mygnsac
    Got home from work to find Dad traded in his truck for a 2015 Subaru Forrester SUV. He said the truck was too big and he was ready for a change. It has 8,000 miles on it, and as usual with my Dad, I'm sure the poor sales person is all twitchy after having to negotiate with my stubborn Dad! Ha! Dad even got them to knock off $1'000 off the extended warranty.

euefndbtafit.jpeg
  • sannferris
    edited February 2016
    Good Morning, Wow, a new car, Congratulations Dad. I hope you enjoy it, that was a model that I looked at, but then, the Scion won my heart.

Yesterday was crazy. I called the power company and the girl could not find my work order. That surprised me, I have never had trouble with that company before. So, she put it in again and about an hour later, 10 minutes before I was planning to leave for the doctor's office, the tree guy came. However, he had the order from last week and was just now able to fit me into his schedule. The power company subcontracts out to a tree service. I showed him the broken limb and that he would not be able to get his truck with the bucket over to the tree and he agreed, that it required someone to climb the tree to cut the limb. He doesn't climb trees, only uses his bucket, and climbing a tree requires at least a second man, so he put me on the list to have the crew come out. He said it would be this week. That's fine, except for my appointment yesterday, I'll be home all week. I was able to leave on time to go for the blood work and did stop at TJ's and Safeway. I brought home Subway sandwiches for lunch and John had lots to tell me. He had gone out to the barn and couldn't use the shop vac and remembered why he wanted the circuit tester. He plugged the extension cord into a power strip and didn't know if the power strip was bad or the wall outlet went bad. I got the night light from the bathroom and used that to test the outlets and it was the power strip that went bad. John wanted to "fix" it, but I convinced him that it's so old, it's not worth the trouble, I have another one in the house and will replace it. When I got back inside, I checked email and there was a message from the environmental agency guy asking for an update. Just to make sure I had the latest news, John and I walked/waded out to the east fence line and saw that nothing had been done on the ditch. I didn't think so, but I figured, just my luck, that if I responded without looking, maybe they would have started work while I was at the doctor's. So, I answered him and he replied back that he'd get on it. Later, he said that a crew would be coming out tomorrow, meaning today. We'll see, I'll be here.

I've been meaning to tell you all last week and kept forgetting...The ducks are laying eggs again. It's almost like Spring Is Here!!!! Soon, I'll have goose eggs too. The chickens are laying, but they are much more regular and reliable than the other birds. The ducks and geese are seasonal and don't lay for a very long period of time, plus all my critters are getting pretty old, I'm surprised they are giving me anything these days.

I hear John already, I'll close for now.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Good morning everyone, I've been reading but not having much to say in the last few days. I did make some fresh mayo last night and it's perfect. One egg recipe using grapeseed oil and it took all but about 30 seconds in total to make it. Compared to using the big mixer (at least 20 minutes) using two eggs which didn't complete the job, and then moving over to the vitamix to "save" the recipe by doubling it again I would say one egg instead of four is a great start. I had to throw out about half the last batch because we don't use much mayo. We were still eating it just fine but I thought it was just too old. Just use pasteurized eggs and it will all be ok. Here is a link on how to pasteurize your own eggs for mayo if you have fresh off the farm eggs. I use pasteurized because my immune system is not strong, but a fresh off the farm egg in my opinion doesn't need pasteurizing. I wouldn't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction though, so be on the safe side and use a pasteurized egg.

Here is a link on how to pasteurize eggs.

bakingbites.com/2011/03/how-to-pasteurize-eggs-at-home/

The glass container I found at Hobby Lobby is perfect too, the size is great and the immersion blender head fits perfectly inside. I got this container linked below, if your immersion blender head is too big for a wide mouth mason jar it might work perfectly in this jar. It has a very thick wall and should stand up to all the pressures a stick blender will throw at it. Too bad it doesn't have an airtight seal, if it did I could place it right into the refrigerator and use the mayo from there, instead I moved the mayo into a mason jar with a plastic lid and silicone seal making it airtight. If your immersion blender fits into a wide mouth mason jar consider yourself lucky and use that because it is the perfect container.

hobbylobby.com/Home-Decor-Frames/Decorative-Accessories/Vases-Jars-Containers/7%22-x-4-1/2%22-Clear-Round-Glass-Jar-with-Lid/p/38898

We've had some rain and today we are on high alert for sustained 35 mph winds in pretty much the entire region. Wind gusts of 45 mph are also on the radar with lots of rain included. They don't believe there will be any tornado's so that is good news. I need to go to the grocery store today, I have been using what we have in the house and have pretty much run out of all staples. I haven't done a real grocery shopping in at least two weeks. I've been to the store just for this or that, but today will be a real shopping with a menu list. I'll come back later. I hope you all have a great day today!

• arobed53
    Cooler day here and no sunshine. I just moved the stuff from the trunk of one car to the other so Ralph can take it to the thrift store. The 4th Tuesday is half price there so he'll check out the books. I'll be going to Good News Club in awhile and after that we'll go to Thomas' basketball game so it's a full day. I hope to still call on the motel we want to be able to tell people is available if they need a place at the wedding. (Done) Invitations are ordered and headed this way.

Sunday we had an interesting day in Sunday School. One boy didn't want to stay at first so I had to stay by the door and several had to use the bathroom and at that age they need help. Everyone was here for dinner and we celebrated Julie's birthday. Then in the evening we went to a fundraiser for a guy from this area who has cancer. We enjoyed the chili and desserts and then stayed for the auction but didn't buy anything. I hear they raised around $26,000. There was a great turnout.

Monday I babysat for Maggie. She took two short naps - teething and a cold but I was still able to do dishes and do some laundry and fold a lot of it. And I loaded up the thrift store stuff when leaving. Then can almost get the van in the garage now so will be ready if it gets bad. In the evening we met Julie and her fiance and his grandparents to eat at Spangles. It was nice to meet the grandparents and celebrate Julie's birthday on the actual day.

I thought things were going better between Ralph and Alan but evidently not well enough. I got a call from Alan that he has set up a meeting with our pastor for Friday. I'll find out what Ralph said to set things off tonight. So I'd appreciate any prayers. Alan wants Ralph to not come to the farm at all and age-wise that would be okay but Ralph still likes to help so we'll see what happens.

Marcie, how funny that after all our car talk, you get home and found out your dad had a different car. Hope he enjoys it. Looks nice.

Isabella, glad you had such a nice birthday. What a fun shopping trip. Lasagna sounds delicious and how nice to have meals ready in the freezer. Glad you are feeling better.

Janie, glad to hear you pain is getting less all the time. Wow, three months to get the inflamation under control. You are learning a lot about patience. Oh my, I hope DJ is feeling better. You celebrate big in February and then get to relax.
    Seed meeting - a meeting where they talk about what seeds grew well last year, what's new for this year, taking care of your fields - usually put on by a seed company. Does that make sense?

Sheryl, glad you learned why John wanted the tester and figured out the problem. Glad you got the bloodwork done and are more up to date on the limb and ditch. At least this guy is not forgetting about the ditch. I haven't been using the DVD's much although they would probably help with the strengthening. I do a lot of my walking around the house - I have a circle 8 I can do and listen to the TV too. My fitbit keeps me going cause I've set goals (just in my head ) with it. Elaine and I keep each other encouraged with them although I'm way in the lead cause she has been sick the past few days. How fun to have duck eggs again - do any of the ducks or chickens hatch out any of their eggs?

Marcie, discouraging when you go to a place you don't go to often and it's gone. Hope you find another place. Embroidery isn't real hard but not my first love. I prefer the counted cross stitch and with it being done on crochet, the stitches are pretty large (although it's not done perfectly). Weekly cooking and laundry is not lazy but it is nice not to add in lots of extras sometimes. I have to keep up with the TV or it's gets too full. We don't have one with a large capacity.

Well, it's about time for me to leave so will send this on it's way.
    Smile - it makes people wonder what you've been up to. :)
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. Debora, I like your last sentence, makes me smile.
    However, I feel like a good cry this morning. I got an email from the environmental agency guy and I don't think I'll get much help from him after all. Yesterday, while John and I were eating lunch, we saw a truck out back and when we were done eating, John walked out there to see what was going on. One worker with a shovel and a wheel barrow. At least that made me happy, that he was wheeling the stuff away from the area, I had visions of them trying to dig out the junk and pile it on the side and put it on our property. But, with only one guy and one shovel, the job would take a long time to finish, our property line back there is 300 feet. This was at 1:15 pm and by 3 pm, he was gone. I got busy and didn't go out there myself, so I still haven't seen what exactly got done. I just read my email and received an email from the environmental agency guy and this is what he said...

Sheryl,

I was just out there. Whoever did the work didn't put a lot of effort and clearly has no pride in their work. I just spent an hour with my boots leveling out the high spots to get the water to flow.

The grade out there is very flat but I had the water moving the entire length of your property. The ditch can't be that deep at your end or it won't reach the far end.

Let's see how it works for now but I'll put a note on my calendar to check back in a couple months to see what vegetation has grown back. I'll have another conversation with Ken at that point.

Thanks,
    Cary

I doubt the worker dug out all the gunk, just not enough time, and now, Cary isn't going to push the issue and is going to wait a couple months?!?!?! I want to blast him a nasty letter, but I won't answer him until I go out in the daylight and see what it looks like. Plus, I don't want to alienate anyone who may be able to help me, but I just want to scream. I may have to hire a lawyer again, but that's a huge expense that I shouldn't have to make. That's how I got the ditch put in in the first place, my lawyer was able to hold up further development until they put in the ditch. If the original ditch was deeper, why not be able to dig it back out to the original depth? I am so frustrated. AND, I'll have to tell John when he gets up and if I don't understand it, how will I ever get him to grasp what's going on, and why.

How sad that they can make a ton of money and ruin our property while doing it. My neighbors say that I should contact the newspapers and the tv stations, but I don't know if I can handle that right now.

I definitely need to fill my mug and figure out my next move.
  • mygnsac
    Good morning.

Yesterday was a super-busy work day. We finally started on that project that was supposed to start last week, so I was busy with that all day. Going to be more of the same for the next couple months.

Dad wanted to go out to dinner when I got home from work, but I was just too fried and didn't feel like it. We'll probably go out tonight. He wants me to ride in his new car I think.

Yesterday Dad was trying to pair his smart phone with Bluetooth to his car, but was having trouble understanding the instructions. I went to YouTube and found a video that demonstrates that process and sent him a link. I'm visual and usually find how-to videos simpler to follow than written instructions.

Gosh Sheryl. I'd be upset too. I sure hope you don't have to take legal action. Unbelievable! I was going to ask the same thing Debora did about the duck and geese eggs. Do they ever hatch out?

Debora, I like your last sentence too! :)

Debora, neat that you got to meet Julie's fiance's grandparents. Sounds like the wedding planning is coming along nicely. I'm to hear Alan and Ralph are still having problems. If I were Ralph I'd jump at the chance to retire, but I get that he wants to stay busy and keep working. I hope they work it out.

Isabella, I pop my popcorn in the microwave. I have a popcorn popping bowl that was made for the microwave.

c2ouqmfsch0g.jpg

Anew, those glass containers are nice. Glad you are enjoying the homemade mayo. I use so little, even if I made a small amount it would probably go bad. And I bet my picky Dad wouldn't like it. I just eat that brand he likes.

Back to work. Have a nice day everyone.
  • sannferris
    Well, I fed the llamas and went on back to the back fence line. Terrible job, but I have to choose my words wisely when I respond to Cary. The shallow ditch is full of water, but it's not flowing and not draining our property. Also, it's not the full length of our property, they stopped half way.

Debora, I forgot to answer you earlier, the chicken eggs are not fertile because we do not have a rooster. They lay in the same nests, so it's easy to collect eggs daily. We have one male duck and three male geese, so those eggs are fertile and I try to gather them up daily so they don't have a chance to be sat on and hatch. The ducks are very smart though and hide their eggs, so I don't always find them fresh, I have to wait until a female duck, who has been missing for several days, comes out to feed and then I can follow her back to her nest and take away her eggs. We don't eat those eggs since I don't know how old they are and how long they've been "developing".

• mygnsac
    Sheryl, did you take pictures of the terrible job they did, for legal purposes?
  • sannferris
    Good Morning, a quick update to let you know that before I could gather my thoughts and choose the right words, I received another email from the Environmental guy, Cary, and he is pushing forward to force the issue on our behalf. He asked me for some of my photos, so I've been busy going through the files and thousands of pictures, to show the problem and the state of the ditch when originally dug out. First off, all the photos and rehashing the situation with John, triggered my memory and I remembered that they could not put in the drainage ditch as specified, they built the road too close to the property line and simply no room for the "V" ditch with rock. They instead, dug out a trench, which I'll be satisfied if they just dig it out again. I have photos and videos of everything, every aspect of the construction back there. Cary has an on-site meeting with a higher up from Cascade West, the builders who now own the vacant lots and Ken, one of the home owners who is the president of the HOA, tomorrow at 1:30 pm. We'll see what happens.

Back to our birds, yes, we have had ducks and geese hatch out in the past, but for the last few years, I've broken up the hidden nests when I found them because John said no more animals.

• sannferris
    Good Morning.

Debora, how are you and your family? I got an email from Sue informing me that the recent shooting is very near you. Her son and his family have moved to Iowa, but used to live right there. I trust that all is well with everyone you love. It brings back memories of San Bernardino and how close my sister was to it. They are now finding out more about that crazy shooter and he was under investigation and being watched by the FBI and no one at work knew it.

I got some recent photos and videos into photobucket regarding the drainage here.

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/saferris/library/Storm Water Drainage?sort=3&page=0

The first folder is the ditch area from the development's side of the fence, the second folder is the standing water and mud on our property. Of course, the very best video wouldn't upload. I don't know why, but after an hour of trying, it cancelled itself out. I emailed photos to Cary for today's meeting of the original ditch, but the videos wouldn't attach to an email, when I sent him the link to photobucket, he replied that the County computer system blocks that sort of thing and he couldn't view them at work. He is satisfied with the photos I emailed and will print them out for today's meeting.

Now, the big thing will be to keep John away from the fence while this on-site meeting is going on. I asked Cary if he wanted us to join them at the meeting and he said to let him handle it. I'm happy to stay away right now, I don't want to tick anybody off and blow my changes of getting things fixed. But, John is another story. I hope the tree guys come at the same time and John will be occupied with them.

Today's a big day for Norma and Simon also. They are due at the hospital by 9:30 this morning and, most likely, spend all day there. Simon gets his kidney stones laser blasted. It's out-patient, but still surgery because they plan to take the catheter out of the kidney and put in a stent. Sounds awful. The procedure will take about an hour and a half to two hours and then he'll be in recovery. A lot of waiting for Norma, I'm sure she'll call me on her cell.

I guess that's it for this morning, I need to refill my mug.
  • arobed53
    Sheryl, thanks for asking. We are all fine. Hesston is about 40 miles away but Newton is a town I'm in a lot so it was way too close to home. At this point I don't know that I know anyone who was injured but we are all sure praying for them.
    Praying the onsite meeting on the ditch goes good and they get something figured out. This guy is really working for you as well as he can. So glad you could find the photos so quickly.
    I understand why you don't let any hatch now. Just didn't want your egg supply to run out.
    Hope it all goes well for Simon (and Norma).

We went to Thomas' game Tuesday only the time I was told was the girls game first - not a problem for us but Derek and family game so with all their little ones they only lasted till half time of the boys game but there was enough of a spread that Thomas got to play and made a basket. They are in tournament yesterday through Saturday so if they play Saturday evening we may go.

Wednesday I spent the day at home which was really good - felt like I made some progress. Thursday Ralph went to some meeting so was gone all day. I took Ava to speech and then we came back here. Derek stopped in to see if I was home cause he had his three youngest and they were looking for a snack. His wife's sister was here and they were wedding dress shopping. He is building a house out here so was checking on it. He left the kids here for about 30 minutes to go check on a house he recently did and Madden had a very bad poopy diaper that I got to change. Needed different clothes and everything. He left about the time Ava usually gets picked up and it was almost an hour before they came. Alan had run an errand while she was at Bible study. That was fine but why didn't they tell me. I survived but I'm sort of in limbo till they come. The afternoon I worked on things here and went to Bible study in the evening. Today I walked and did my errands. Everything is carried in and put away. I brought home Subway for dinner and we're about to head for Alan's for the meeting. And sometime after that I'll leave for the retreat. So no computer for a couple of days.

Have a good weekend. It was down to 14 again this morning but has warmed up to 42 but wow it's windy. Oh year, Julie's invitations arrived and they look nice. Now she and her friend and going to start addressing. I said they should go out by next week. We'll see if that happens.
  • sannferris
    Good Afternoon, a quick pop in to update you on all that has happened. The tree trimmers came at 10am and immediately took their morning break. While on break, one of the guys was really interested in the old International Harvester trucks. Since these guys will only trim away from the power lines, we exchanged phone numbers with the tree guy who likes trucks and will get together with him later to barter a truck for some extra tree work. They worked a little over an hour and then had to stop for lunch. Even after they were all done, they hung around and talked trucks, which was great...kept John busy at 1:30 while the on-site meeting was taking place at the development. When the tree guys left, I got John in the house and we stayed away from the back fence.

Haven't heard any word yet from Cary as to how the meeting went. It started raining at 2 pm. I don't know if that would have helped or hurt the outdoor meeting.

Glad to hear that your family is safe, Debora. That is extremely close.

Norma called me at 2:30 and she and Simon are at home. The procedure only took an hour and 15 minutes, plus, his recovery time was also quicker, so they got out of the hospital earlier than expected. Simon is doing very well and feels good.

See you in the morning.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. Nothing new since yesterday's comment. No email or phone call from Cary, so I guess I have to wait until Monday to get the report.

Talked to my Mom and she's doing well, pretty much the same. I think I'll take my coffee and go watch Lucky Dog and smile at the cuteness of the puppies.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi all, had a really nice day today. Dan and I went to lunch with some old friends that I used to work with that we haven't seen for about 20 years! We had a great time catching up on each other's lives and reminiscing about the old days. We got home and Dan met with the "cooperative" neighbor to get the forms signed to submit to the HOA to replace the rotting side fences. I don't remember if I mentioned to you that the neighbor on the other side won't even talk to Dan about replacing the fence so we went to the HOA and they said once we submit the application they will go over and get the "not nice" neighbor to sign off. Now we're just relaxing while I get caught up with you all then we will watch some recorded shows.

Sheryl, glad the tree guys came and took care of the limb and chatted with John about the trucks. Hopefully you can get rid of one and get some tree trimming taken care of. Good to hear that Cary is going to continue to go to bat for you over the drainage ditch. Hope he is successful. Let us know if/when you make it to Macy's and if you find any slacks.

Marcie, sounds like you had a successful shopping trip - you found pants AND shoes! :wink: Wow, nice Subie that your dad got. I think he will be very happy with it for a long time. Dan was strongly considering a Forester before he bought the Rav4. So your B-day is in 2 weeks? What day?

Debora, sorry to hear that Ralph and Alan are still at odds with each other. Hopefully something will happen to resolve the issue. I'll keep them in my prayers. Did the seed meeting go well? Hope you're enjoying your retreat. Looking forward to hearing all about it! Will you still have Sunday dinner at your house when you return?

Well, I'll close for now and go find us something light for dinner. Talk to you all soon.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning, Not too talkative this morning, been up for a couple hours and still don't have anything new to say. It rained hard at times yesterday and we have light rain today, will be very muddy again. I'll check back later, if and when I hear any report from Cary.