Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Variety is the spice of life or so they say and I've had some of that this week. I had the day at home Wednesday and felt like I got a lot of things taken care of. There's always more to do but anything done helps. We finished up our Sunday leftovers. Wednesday night was a special prayer meeting for a man from our church with malformations in his brain and it's affecting his balance, he shakes, has double vision. They are in Texas now trying another place for treatment.

Thursday I took Ava to speech, worked here at home in the afternoon and went to Bible study - I even had my lesson done. It's always good to get together with this group and we are doing a very interesting study.

Today, I was on the go from 6:40am - 4pm. I walked with my friend and then headed for El Dorado. I got my Walmart stuff and did 5 other short stops. I then met with our tax person. My part was easy and I took off and let Alan have his turn. I went on to Wichita and met two friends at Panera's. I enjoyed my meal and the two hours of visiting. These are some of my Flylady friends but we don't talk about our houses much although we're still working on them. From there I went to Newton - hit the library for a book on planning a wedding and then Dillons. Today was like springtime. It got up to 67 and was a beautiful day. So being out and about was kind of nice. When I got home I put everything away - one sack at a time and haven't done much else but fix supper, watch/listen TV and be at the computer (along with walking).

Alan and Katie are going to see her family tomorrow so will have a small group on Sunday. I'll still fix the same meal - just lesser amounts of some of it. I'll go ahead and use all three pounds for the meatloaf and hope for some leftovers. I'm hoping DH and I can go to Jeremiah's basketball game but otherwise work here.

Sheryl, I'm so glad you made it safely to CA and are having such a fun time. Enjoy every minute. Glad you and John had such a nice outing evening if the vacuum isn't staying where it was supposed to. Praying he does okay the whole time you are gone. I looked up Luther but it's not showing right now. Oh well, I have enough shows to watch. Did you just have to tell Blue Apron not to send anything while you are gone or does it come early in the week?

Anew, glad you are feeling better and getting some better sleep. You're figuring the ins and outs of mayonnaise. I have 2 or 3 immersion blenders and seldom use them (kept the ones from my parent's house). Guess I've gotten out of the habit.

Marcie, yes, the second episode of Mercy Street was a bit racy. Wouldn't want to watch it with children around. Are pink beans an actual bean you buy or just the name of the recipe. I'm printing off the instructions and will see what happens. Thank you so much for sharing. I had forgotten the story behind the sweater. A good read.

Anew, the pot pie you plan to make sounds really good. I've never used a pressure cooker so can't give you any advice. It seems like people love them or hate them. They make me nervous cause I've heard some not so nice stories with them.

Marcie, I still haven't figured out the story you sent. Hope you eventually tell the answer.

My computer told me I won't get any more chrome updates cause they won't support XP or Vista so I hope everything still keeps working. I don't want to change any sooner than I have to. Glad I'm not having any of the issues with MFP.

Have a wonderful Saturday. I think our day is supposed to be another nice one (but snow is supposed to be on the way for next week).
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Debra, pink beans are an actual bean. You should find them in the isle with the dried beans. I'll give the answer on Monday. :)
  • arobed53
    Ok, I'll take a look.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited January 2016
    Good morning ladies, Yesterday was a very busy day! I decluttered my linen cabinets and now only have half the stuff in there. It feels good! :) I wanted to take any sheets and towels we aren't going to use and bring them to my friend Teri when I bring her the phone. Then I took the new phone over to Teri (about 20 miles away) only to find out that it wasn't her phone that wasn't working - it was the phone line. Interesting that the phone line went dead right after she had one of those little cable adapters installed so she wouldn't lose her stations. (Things that make you go hmmm.) She said she can't deal with learning new stuff and now that she knows it wasn't her phone she wants to keep the old phone instead of the new one I ordered for her. What can you do? I told her I'd keep it for a week or so and we'll see how it goes with the phone line. Dan said I should try to show her how easy the new phone is to use and if she still can't deal with it we'll keep it and get rid of our old phone. I called the phone company on my cell and put in a service ticket for her. They won't have any way to call her so hopefully it will go OK.

Jannie, glad you like Second Chances. It does grab you. We were prepared not to like it and we're hooked. :wink: Your weight loss challenge sounds good. Just the thing to get back on track and with several co-workers participating that usually means no junk in the office to trip you up. We're rooting for you! We installed a 40 gallon water heater. The cost was approx. $1,250. If you have a lot of people in your household you may want to go with the 50 gallon. They usually don't cost that much more.

Marcie, good job switching to tea instead of coffee. Did you go thru withdrawals? My brother Joe in NJ is doing OK with the snow now but the snow plows coming thru kept blocking his driveway with a wall of snow that he had to dig out before he could park every night when he came home from work. Boy was he mad. Thanks for asking. I really like cop shows too but Dan does not so I don't get to watch too many of them. We watch Hawaii 5-0 (although he keeps telling me "it's not his favorite show"), Elementary, and now this Second Chances. I keep telling Dan we should check out Mercy St. but he has resisted so far. Said he doesn't want to watch a civil war era show?? I'll have to see if I can get him to watch 1 episode. FYI, the piece you copied from Granny's FB page is an urban legend - the part about Lee Marvin is pretty much true - he served, got wounded in the butt (not at Iwo Jima but at a battle right before), and got a metal. Captain Kangeroo enlisted too late and did not go into battle and Mr. Rogers never served. They were good guys though. :)

Debora, as I just mentioned to Marcie, I will have to try to get Dan to watch an episode of Mercy St. In my opinion Second Chances isn't really Sci-Fi, it is basically a cop show with an interesting twist. Glad you came to an understanding on the situation with Katie. I can see how you were both defensive which caused the reactions that ensued. Keep up the decluttering. We'll have our own little contest between the two of us to see how much we can get rid of. :p

Anew, So happy - you sound so much better! :) What fun to have lunch with the girls then you and hubby get to have breakfast or lunch at your favorite diner with your friends the next day. I totally get what you are saying about the immersion blender. It is so important to have the right tool for the job. I don't use mine much but I'm really happy I have it when I need it. I don't remember mine being that expensive but then I bought it a long time ago. Let us know what you end up with.

Sheryl, you look so beautiful in that dress! And your hair is lovely. Sounds like things are going great in CA. Can't wait to hear about the rest of the weekend. I'm still pulling for Simon and Norma. I hope he can at least make enough changes to show Norma that he is serious about staying well. Too funny about the little shop vac. Dan absolutely LOVES his little shop vac. So much so that he bought a second one. His intension was also to have one in 2 different places at the old house but they are both in the garage now. I would strongly suggest watching the first episode of Second Chances On Demand if you can so you get the full picture of the premise of the show but if you can't I'm sure they tell you enough of the background in the beginning to get the general gist.

It is raining here now - a nice steady light rain which is the best way for it to soak in and make a difference. YAY! I am going to my friend Jami's after church so we can dye our hair and be young again for another month. :wink: I'd better go get ready for church now. Have a wonderful day!
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Good morning everyone, what a beautiful day today at about 60 degrees and sunny! I had a very busy day yesterday so didn't get a chance to come by here. We were to meet our friends for breakfast at 9:30 and at 8:30 she calls me and says OK. we're here at the restaurant. Huh, do who to what? LOL, she was a bit confused, I told her we agreed on 9:30 and I only just got out of the shower, lol. So, it was a rush to get out the door with the restaurant 18 miles away from us, lol. I am so glad I had already showered and was getting ready. Most of the road there is 75 mph so it makes faster work of getting there in a hurry but there is still about 8 miles of city driving, lol. She and I had planned to go to big town after breakfast because she wanted to go to Sam's Club and I wanted to hit up World Market for another set of Downton Abbey spoons but discovered them sold out of pretty much everything Downton Abbey. I also needed to shop at Petsmart too and it's nice they are right next door, lol.

They are elderly and it's become too hard for them to drive in such a busy city anymore so I take her to big town when she needs to go. She decided Joann's was a good place to go as well and then said she wanted to get a piece of pizza at Sam's club as we were headed that direction. I asked her if she had ever had any and she had said "no, she's just seen people with pizza when we went and I had asked if she wanted anything to eat on a prior trip(she's diabetic so needs to eat something), which she had turned down at that time, lol. I told her I would take her to a New York pizzeria for lunch instead, it would be far better, lol. So we went to a place called Russo's where they bake pizza in a brick oven and you can buy just one slice of pizza of your liking. You can even build your own pizza single slice. We each had a vegetarian slice, it was good, a nice thinner crust. Neither one of us likes thick crust pizza and of course this pizza had far less salt and fat than Sam's club would have and had far less cheese too, that might not have been such a good thing though, lol.

We did decide on and purchase an immersion blender, it wasn't cheap and of course it has to be shipped like most things but I was able to get it in three installments instead of paying in full, so I am happy with that. It's made by Electrolux, it's 600 watts and has 9 speeds, it comes with a 5 year warranty and I am hoping to get some really great use out of it. The best part is all the parts that touch the food are stainless steel. I am hoping there are no plastic gears in this thing.

I bought it here.

[url=" http://www.hsn.com/products/electrolux-masterpiece-immersion-hand-blender/7928091"] hsn.com/products/electrolux-masterpiece-immersion-hand-blender/7928091[/url]

This is the Electrolux website which gives more information on it than the one I purchased from.
    electroluxappliances.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Small-Kitchen/Blenders/ELHB10B9PS/

Our city is having a water emergency, You can't ingest it, you can't boil it because it will only make it worse and you can't wash your vegetables with it, use your ice in your freezer that was made with it and you can't brush your teeth with it. Thank goodness my neighborhood is not included but I am right next door to where the problem is, whew that was close. I don't drink or cook with city water but I do wash vegetables with a mix of water and vinegar, I do brush my teeth with it, and I do shower in it.

We have a very dangerous algae bloom and it will be one week minimum before the city gets back water tests to see if the water has been cleared from the pipes. People are scrambling to buy bottled water.

Health Effects Information for microcystins:

Effects including gastroenteritis, and liver and kidney damage have been reported in humans following short-term exposure to microcystins/cyanotoxins in drinking water. Recreational exposure to microcystins/cyanobacterial blooms has been reported to lead to allergic reactions, including hay fever-like symptoms; skin rashes; and gastrointestinal distress. Animal studies have shown that long-term adverse effects from microcystins/cyanotoxins include liver and kidney damage. However, more research is ongoing to quantify these effects.

Where can I find more information?

To learn more about the HAs for microcystins and cylindrospermopsin and to view the health effects support documents for these and anatoxin-a in drinking water, visit EPA’s

Health Advisory webpage: http://water.epa.gov/drink/standards/hascience.cfm

To learn about additional strategies Public Water Systems and others could consider in managing cyanotoxins, visit EPA’s CyanoHABs website: http://www2.epa.gov/nutrient-policydata/guidelines-and-recommendations

Okay, that's enough for you all to read for today, I'll come back later and address all the posts since my last post. Have a great day everyone!

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member

Good Morning. Fantastic weekend...I'll give you all the details when I get home. My flight leaves Ontario at 9:30, but Norma will drop me off early on her way to work. I get in to Portland at noon, but then head over to Oncology for that blood recheck and should be home to John by 2 pm.

I called John every night, Friday night he never did answer the phone. Saturday and last night, he sounded OK, told me about a lot of things, some good, some things went wrong, but he couldn't give me all the details. I'll see what I find when I get there.

So much to say, but I'll have a lot more time tomorrow morning.
  • anewstart22
    edited February 2016
    mygnsac wrote: »
    This was in a post out in the main forum. Can you figure it out? It took me awhile, but I finally got it.
    Rax1974 wrote: »
    Three people check into a hotel room. The clerk says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be $25. To rectify this, he gives the bellhop $5 to return to the guests. On the way to the room, the bellhop realizes that he cannot divide the money equally. As the guests didn't know the total of the revised bill, the bellhop decides to just give each guest $1 and keep $2 as a tip for himself. Each guest got $1 back: so now each guest only paid $9; bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop has $2. And $27 + $2 = $29 so, if the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?

:p

LOL, the bellhop has it, lol. They paid $30-They got back $1 each. Cheating bellhop-I knew I couldn't trust them-:). $30 minus $1=$29 minus $1=$28 minus $1=$27 and minus the $2 the bellhop stole=$25, lol. Add back the $2 the bellhop stole and that makes $27.00 the three people paid. That was fun!
  • anewstart22
    edited February 2016
    Good morning everyone, another great night of sleep last night. Oh it's so refreshing :smiley: It's 67 degrees and hazy outside. The winds are picking up and we are supposed to get a bit of rain. Oh how I love these kinds of days. :smiley:

We went to dinner last night with some friends which made it nice not to be cooking after my long day yesterday and Saturday in big town. Yesterday we found a full size bed frame for the guest bedroom so we went and picked that up, came home and unboxed the mattress and box spring, then went about moving boxes to find all the bedding that goes to the guest room. Finally found it all and had to go about washing everything and make the bed.

The bedroom isn't done but at least if I have guests there is a bed to sleep in and although it's not a large bed it is quite comfortable, even for hubby and myself. We both relaxed on it and took a guests look around the room and started talking about all the things we could do in there that is more than I already have in design ideas for decor, lol.

The meat pie/shepards pie was really good, I added green beans to it and there was so much of it we had it for dinner the other night, lunch yesterday and I still have some leftover. So tonight I think we will have the rest of it and the leftover chicken dish that's in there for dinner with a side salad. That will take care of the leftovers in the refrigerator.

Arobed-Oh my, three immersion blenders? Oh the places you can go in the culinary world with those. They are fantastic kitchen tools. I'm jealous, three? LOL

Isyvanek-I'm glad your friends phone problems were worked out but not taking a phone you specifically ordered for her is what has happened to me before. I just don't order anything for anyone unless they pay me up front for it first anymore. I remember when I was younger when someone said let's go in on such and such, the money was ponied up right then and there for the order to happen. It seems so easy for people to agree to something but not follow through these days. You are a good friend, I hope she appreciates you for all you do.

Sannferris-I'm glad you had a great weekend and hope your oncology appt goes well. I'm looking forward to hearing all about the weekend.

Our water situation update

"Public Works crews worked Saturday installing a new RPZ/Backflow Preventer at one location and continued flushing lines. Sunday they installed an RPZ/Backflow Preventer at a second location. Another RPZ/Backflow Preventer will be installed at a possible third location if needed. They will continue to flush lines and test various locations. Test results should be available Monday afternoon or Tuesday. Staff is still confident that the incident is contained within the area we have outlined."

So, with this information I am hoping to hear about our water situation at least by the end of Tuesday. Even though they say I am not in the affected area, we are right next door to it and I am not taking any chances whatsoever with this. Especially since they just added a "possible third location" to the list.

Have a great day everyone!
  • sannferris
    edited February 2016
    Good Morning. It was a fairytale weekend, lots of glitz and glamour, but great to be home. The Country Club set is a world of it's own and Norma and I sometimes felt like a fish out of water, just at the surroundings, the people were friendly and down to earth. We stayed at the Omni Resort, (a plaza, spa, golf course, Splashtopia with man made beach, gorgeous fountains, ponds and flower gardens). Went to the church for the rehearsal Friday night and back to the resort for the rehearsal dinner. So elegant and delicious. Saturday morning, Norma and I went over to the "Honeymoon Suite" where Janelle and her sister Andrea had spent the night (and Joel and Janelle would spend Saturday night after the wedding). All the girls were there for hair and make-up. Bride and the two mothers and 6 bridesmaids. We had a blast gabbing and getting ready. Norma and I went back to our room to dress and then met in the lobby for the shuttle. Shuttles running late, so Norma, Simon and I got to ride in the Limo with Joel and the groomsmen to the church. The Limo went back to the resort to get Janelle and the bridesmaids and brought them over just before the service. One of the reasons that they had stipulated that the doors would "close at 1:50 pm" was so that Janelle and the girls could get from the Limo to the church foyer and get ready to walk down the aisle without being seen. For as big and new and fancy as this church is, they did not have a "bridal room", so she had to get dressed at the resort and come over to the church all dressed and ready. It all went beautifully and without a hitch. Only one person showed up in a street length dress, an aunt from Pennsylvania. She was dressed to the "nines", very elegant and beautiful, and, of course, was NOT turned away, but she wasn't in a formal gown. Janelle had lots of relatives make the flight out from Pennsylvania. They had sent invitations, but never thought that they would fly out. Joel said that they sent out a total of 84 invitations and there were 75 people there. Super good percentages, I don't think it's usual for that many people to rsvp in the affirmative for a wedding. It was mostly her side of the family and then friends and co-workers. For Joel's side of the family, it was only Norma, Simon, me, his other aunt (Bobbie) and her gentleman (Ernie) and then Brent, his brother, who was a groomsman.
    Ceremony was very different and interesting and beautiful. Then, the reception was at Desert Springs Country Club in Palm Desert. Again, very lavish and beyond our comprehension. Norma and I said that we felt like Princesses. It was kind of nice seeing everyone so dressed up. Made it even more special. I'll tell you about the food in another post, dinner was amazing. I want to post this before I lose it, seems like I've been typing all morning.
  • anewstart22
    Good afternoon everyone, another nice night of sleep. It's a beautiful sunny day at about 72 degrees, I love these kinds of days too, not one mosquito has bit me today so that has been nice. Edit-just got bit and I'm in my house so it followed me indoors, aye aye aye.

I've been to the grocery store for a quick run to catch up on my menu organizing. I had fallen behind when I got sick so I am back on track with that and have next weeks menu planned to shop for on Saturday. What I got today will finish out this week. I have been working on making a weekly menu and the shopping list to go with it and saving them in my notepad. Then I go over to my husbands computer and turn it into a word document so everything can print how I want it.

Notepad is just that, very little in the way of editing and setting the page up how you like it so Word is the way to go with the final printing. I can put the recipe in with two columns, the ingredients in the left column and in the right column the recipe directions. It looks nice and it's easy to read. I'll be saving each one in a plastic page protector so I can take them into the kitchen and use them without getting anything on them.

It's going to take some time but in the end I will have a much easier go at it when I pull out a weekly menu and know exactly what I need to buy for it. Going through and checking what I already have will be great with a whole lot of time saved later on. So, to keep from confusing you I have to clarify what I just wrote here. I will have the menu and grocery shopping list together, then each of the recipes will be printed for me to pull out when I will be making the meal. I'll put the recipe back when I am done with it so it can be used on the next menu down the line and can be found easily.

Hubby has pretty much finished my kitchen island, now I have to give it up for the paint job I need to do on it. It still needs a top but I can wait on that while using the boards on top instead. I have decided the top needs to be deeper than the original plan because I want two dinner plates to sit on it one in front of the other without feeling like I have to balance them there. Right now the edges of the plates hang off a little bit but I want them to be solid on the island top. I set them like that because when I am making a salad I want to chop to the right and put it on the plates as I go which sit to the left side. I think about three inches will be good enough and we'll just let that overhang the back of the island so I can still easily get into the front drawer.

Who knows, I might decide to have the length of the top made longer to accommodate cotton towels and paper towels underneath the top. That would free up more counter space by getting the paper towels off of it. Sadly, it means losing my paper towel holder my son made when he was 13 unless I can figure out how to incorporate it instead. Right now I want to get through the water situation since I have water containers everywhere taking up counter space, lol. Hubby has also started building the little coffee bar and now we just need to work out the final measurements of shelves and the drawer.

Sannferris-Everything about the wedding sounds like it was beautiful and a lot of fun too. I know about feeling out of your element at places like that. It's how the rich live on a day to day basis, but we get to see and feel some of it once in a while in our lifetimes and that's enough for me, lol. I don't think I could live a rich lifestyle, it's just too much, lol. I'm glad you had a good time.

Have a great day everyone!
  • arobed53
    Sunday was a good day. Class went good with the 2 year olds. We had a really good message. Dinner was enjoyed (a few leftovers but not much). Everyone hung around for awhile. We did 50 pencil packs for OCC. And when everyone left, we enjoyed a quiet evening.

Monday I went to the periodonoist. They had told me the consultation would be $105. They didn't tell me about the cost of all the xrays. Dr. was very nice and thorough and I do have gum disease. She said I have dry mouth too but I've never thought so. She wants to do deep cleaning - but I'm doing it much slower than she wants. It's $300 each time and we don't have any dental insurance. They also showed me a tool to use (you put a round toothpick in it) and a different way to floss so am working on doing that. I'm slow with change. She also wants me to buy a nice electric toothbrush - money money money. I was close to Dillards so went to check out dresses. I'd forgotten that the store intimidates me. I could have gone to Sears and Penneys cause they are there too but thought I could check another time so headed home and forgot to stop at the grocery store but we didn't get really bad weather so it's okay.

Today was Good News Club. We had 5 new ones - all kindergarten and first grade and lots of wriggles. We're all tired by the end. We got an inch of rain last night so didn't let the kids play outside afterwards. Plus the wind made it feel quite cold.

Tomorrow I walk and then hope to get things loaded up that I have for Lori and go to her place in the afternoon. I have two bags from Katie to give her, 3 toys for the daycare (riding ones so good sized), some empty boxes, and the Halloween costumes I found. That will help with my decluttering. I had to laugh today. I've been going through some papers and have found several copies of cleaning lists - so I think I'm going to clean - but don't get to a lot of it. Make for good recycling now.

Isabella, yay on the linen closet. Bummer on Terri not wanting the phone now. I'll still probably leave Second Chance alone - I'm trying to watch less shows but am not always very successful. Enjoy your youngness.

Anew, how nice to have the time with your friend. Glad she didn't have to wait too long on you. Enjoy your immersion blender. The water emergency deal sounds like a lot to deal with.

Sheryl, welcome home. Glad John survived without you. Sounds like you and Norma had a wonderful time. The pictures were nice. Now we have faces to go with the names. They did have a great turnout for the wedding. Julie plans to have people RSVP but they say to figure on 2/3rds for turnout so they did way better than that.

Anew, thanks for the answer. I knew that's where it was - thought maybe there was some other trick to it. Fun meal out with hubby and friends - nice. Cool on the bed and getting it all set up. Guess I'm not very "culinary" since I don't use mine much. Figure 2 are backups if the one quits and I don't think any cost very much. I heard Lori say hers quit so should take her one.
    Cool that you feel good enough to get back to your weekly menus. Neat that you've figured out a system that will work for you. Getting it all set up is the hardest part, I'm sure. Neat that your island is getting closer to done. You'll miss it while you are working on it I'm sure.

Ralph asked me today if I take naps cause I don't get 8 hours of sleep at night. He's read that people that don't get 8 hours of sleep a night develop health problems. I said it's not the same for everyone but guess I'll close this and head back for bed.

We were up in the 60s last Friday and Saturday and now doing 30s and 40s. It's that time of year for the cold but I don't get used to it. At least we aren't getting the blizzards they did in western Kansas. Good night.
  • mygnsac
    This was in a post out in the main forum. Can you figure it out? It took me awhile, but I finally got it.
    Three people check into a hotel room. The clerk says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be $25. To rectify this, he gives the bellhop $5 to return to the guests. On the way to the room, the bellhop realizes that he cannot divide the money equally. As the guests didn't know the total of the revised bill, the bellhop decides to just give each guest $1 and keep $2 as a tip for himself. Each guest got $1 back: so now each guest only paid $9; bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop has $2. And $27 + $2 = $29 so, if the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?

LOL, the bellhop has it, lol. They paid $30-They got back $1 each. Cheating bellhop-I knew I couldn't trust them-:). $30 minus $1=$29 minus $1=$28 minus $1=$27 and minus the $2 the bellhop stole=$25, lol. Add back the $2 the bellhop stole and that makes $27.00 the three people paid. That was fun!

Yep, the answer was there was no missing dollar. Each person ultimately paid $9 each for a total of $27, which breaks down to $25 to the desk clerk and $2 that the bellhop pocketed.
  • mygnsac
    Hi everyone.

I was going to complain that it's cold here, but after reading Debora's post, I should stop whining! Our lows have been down into the upper 30s and highs into the upper 50's over the last few days. Brrrr! ;) They say we might get a little rain later this afternoon, but so far it's been a pretty sunny day.

I bought a yummy Mediterranean turkey sandwich on a walnut wheat bread (with smoked mozzarella, roasted peppers, cucumber and lettuce) at the sandwich shop for lunch today, and there's no way I'm going to be able to finish it. Its one of those sandwiches that wouldn't save well so I'm going to have to toss the rest. I hate wasting food.

Dad and I went out for dinner at Logan's Roadhouse (a steak/burger place) Saturday night. That's the first time we've gone out for dinner together in a couple months. He typically goes out for breakfast most mornings at the little breakfast joint that knows him. Logan's is one of those places that keeps a bucket of peanuts in the shell on your table, and you are expected to chuck the shells onto the floor. I just couldn't bring myself to do it, so Dad kept swooshing off the table for me...rolling his eyes at me as he did it!

Isabella, thanks for the heads up about the urban legend story! I always fall for those things!

Sheryl, I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip. Fancy-dancy is fun once in a while. You all looked beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pics! What a great turn out!

Anew, that water issue is so scary! Glad to hear you've been sleeping well!

Debora, ugh on the dental issues! I sometimes wonder why these professionals seem to think the cost of these procedures is of no consequence.

Better get back to work. Have a evening.
  • anewstart22

Yep, the answer was there was no missing dollar. Each person ultimately paid $9 each for a total of $27, which breaks down to $25 to the desk clerk and $2 that the bellhop pocketed.

LOL, I was only guessing, ha!
  • anewstart22
    edited February 2016
    Good evening everyone, I had a great nights sleep again. It's about 60 degrees outside and a sunny day today with tomorrow being in the low 30's and possible rain. It's sad all the tornadoes knocking people around again this year. I don't know how people do it living in those tornado prone areas, hurricane areas are hard enough for me. I know it's coming days in advance and I was never bothered by earthquakes in California since you don't know it's coming. A tornado just comes up out of nowhere and you run for safety while having all your body sensors going crazy, so scary. There has been no update as of yet on our water situation but I hear it is supposed to be today. It was expected yesterday and hasn't come yet, they are waiting for test results to come in.

I ordered the four syrups for my coffee bar, all organic without corn syrups from Monin in glass bottles and they fit perfectly on the white ceramic tray I bought for them at World Market last month. There is enough room in the front of the tall bottles to add the small chocolate sauce that gets sprinkled on top of a coffee and I can put two 1/2 pint mason jars on the tray. It's perfect, I will be making my own vanilla syrup and cinnamon syrup to keep in the small mason jars. Having that extra space was a nice bonus.

I'll also make replacement syrups for the bottles I bought when they are finished off but that will be a very very long time away. I just wanted the glass and the pumps, lol. The pumps come with a cap and they say to wash the tip of the pump and the caps after use, then replace the cap to keep the air out and the syrups will last at least one year. Great shelf life for organics!

Arobed-I have had to have those really deep cleanings too, it's painful but it seems to help clear things out. My gums are better but not perfect, I hope it all goes well for you.

Mygnsac-I like the Roadhouse but it's so noisy (they blast the music) I can't hear my husband talking to me so I have to avoid it and I don't like throwing peanut shells on the floors either. I also don't care for walking on them and I think my favorite thing there is the dangerous bread rolls which I found a copy cat recipe to it, lol.

Have a great night everyone!

• anewstart22
    edited February 2016
    I thought I would come back on update on our water situation. Although I was here after 5:00 pm my time there was nothing on our city website regarding the update when I posted. I just heard on the news about the update and now I see they say they updated at 4:00 pm so that just tells me they didn't quite have it posted for everyone at the time I looked earlier.

Here is the update and I am sure happy I have been avoiding the water since my immune system is compromised. Something told me I should be proactive on this and glad I listened to myself in spite of my husband saying, "but the city said". My response was, "uh huh, just listen to me, we are right next door to this problem". So, off to the store he went to buy a lot of water because they were only giving water to those in the affected areas and they had to be poor to get it for free. He drove 18 miles to get water because it was gone everywhere around us last Saturday night. We filled up three 5 gallon jugs at the windmill in the next town over on Sunday night after we had dinner with some friends. We found out it's a different company than the one I had problems with their water a few months back, so I felt safe using it. So far, so good on it.

Anyway, here is the important parts of the news release for today.

=================================================================

News Release

The city is following EPA guidelines (2015 Drinking Water health Advisories for Two Cyanobacterial Toxins) and taking the necessary precautions suggested by the EPA. There are no EPA adopted regulatory limits for these constituents. We work from health advisories for these issues.

Previous restrictions on the North Eastern side of town have been lifted for most individuals. At this point we are recommending a City Wide “Do Not Drink the Water” for children under the age of 6 years old and anyone with a compromised immune system. For children under the age of 6 years old and anyone with a compromised immune system, this includes making ice cubes, food preparation (do not boil water), brushing teeth or any other activity involving ingestion of water. This Order shall remain in effect until further notice.

The whole City can still take showers, do laundry, and wash dishes. The City is providing 2 gallons of water per person per day who meet the criteria – under the age of 6 years old or with a compromised immune system.

Dr. Paul Zimba, Director of the Center for Coastal Studies at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi has been working with the City and the TCEQ to assess concentrations of microsystin in the water system. “The most recent samples had a decline in concentration.”

This is a good sign that the city’s actions and response to treat this situation are having a positive effect to reduce the toxins.

=================================================================

Really scary situation for us over here right now.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. I never made it over here yesterday, more strange behavior from John. When I was at my sister's, I got an email from very good friends of ours who now live in Eugene, OR, 2 hours south of us. They used to live in Seattle, 3 hours north of us, and planned to drive up there yesterday to visit with family and friends for a couple days. They wanted to stop by here for an hour or so to visit and it's a nice half-way point break in their trip to get out of the car and stretch their legs. When I got home Monday, I told John and he didn't say much of anything. Then, Tuesday, he began obsessing about it. Especially when I wanted to give him a haircut and have him take a shower. I gave up on the haircut, just not worth the fight. He didn't sleep during the night, panicky about the visit. Yesterday morning, he was really in a state, it was reminiscent of the nights in the CA motel rooms when he didn't know where he was and was scared to death. I couldn't calm him until I told him that I would cancel the visit. He then totally relaxed and went back to bed. He has become a recluse and I know that he doesn't want to go out with friends, but I never thought that he would not want these really good friends to come visit us here. Of course, the friends and I were very disappointed, but they understood, they have dealt with dementia in their family too.

Marcie, I had read your brain teaser at Norma’s house early Monday morning and decided to use the time on the plane to figure it out. I got the answer on the taxiway while still in Ontario. The 2 dollars needed to be added to the 25, not subtracted from the 30. I love brain teasers like that. I just went back to my crossword puzzles for the rest of the flight.

Debora, I have my Blue Apron deliveries on Wednesdays, so it was not interrupted while I went to CA. I got a delivery yesterday (it arrives by 11 am) and I made steak tacos with mole verde. It was so good. I can go to my delivery schedule to change days or skip any weekly delivery, so if I am ever gone for a week or more, it's easy to stop and pick up later. And, I can cancel at any time. I don't think I will ever be gone for a week or more anymore, those days are over.

Sue (sctacke) is having her first knee replacement surgery tomorrow. She plans to have the second knee done late in the year, I think it is to be in November, after this one is completely healed. I told her that everyone that I know who has had this procedure just raves about it and is so pleased with the results. I pray that her surgery goes well also.

Back to the wedding food...I am still thinking about it. The rehearsal dinner, we had our choice out of three for each of the three courses. French onion soup, spinach/kale/pear/dates/pomegranate vinaigrette salad, or Caesar salad. I had the soup, Norma had the spinach/kale and Simon had the Caesar. We all raved about our choices, so good. The entrée choices were seared scallops and polenta cake, grilled angus NY steak with parmesan fries, or 1/2 roasted chicken. Simon and I got the scallops and Norma got the steak. Again, everything was perfect. Norma's steak was so big that she shared part of it with both Simon and me. Yummy. The dessert choices were sorbet trio with fresh berries, Devils food chocolate cake with chocolate rum sauce and chocolate shavings, or an apple crisp with spiced caramel sauce. Simon and Norma got the sorbet...I went with chocolate, chocolate chocolate!!!!!!!!

• sannferris
    edited February 2016
    The wedding reception dinner was set for us, no choices, but Joel and Janelle made the perfect choices. Delicious! I'm going to type out the whole menu from the cards we had at the place settings.
    Salad
    Merlot poached pear with baby mixed greens and Gorgonzola tossed in a red wine vinaigrette

Warm Hor d'oeuvre
    Petite pest risotto cake topped with herb brie cheese and balsamic drizzle

Intermezzo
    Lime sorbet with lemon zest

Duet Entrée
    Petite filet mignon with a mixed berry demi glaze & sesame seed encrusted Corvina sea bass with yuzu citrus cream sauce
    Red garlic mashed potatoes
    Sautéed broccolini with garlic butter infused wine

Dessert
    Flourless chocolate Kahlua rounds with rum whip cream
    Amaretto panna cotta filled chocolate cup
    Apple cobbler bar with caramel drizzle
    Raspberry glazed cheesecake
    Fresh fruit tartlet

They did not have a traditional tiered wedding cake, each table had these petit fours on a three tiered glass server and there was enough for each person to have at least one of each flavor if they desired that much. I understand that there were lots left over. Again, I went with chocolate. Norma had a cheesecake and a fruit tartlet.

The filet was set on the potatoes and the bass was set on the broccoli. I took a picture, but I don't think it turned out too well. I'll post it anyway.
    Oh yes, that risotto was to die for...I could make a meal of that. Everything was so elegant and really, really nice for all of us.

They did have a "cake top" for cutting and feeding each other. So cute, the "bride and groom" were penguins. I found out that Janelle has a huge thing for penguins...everything penguin. I'll post a photo of that too.
  • mygnsac
    edited February 2016
    Good morning everyone.

Cisco decided he wanted to sleep with me last night. I woke up to a twitchy, snoring dog right next to me with his head on my arm (my arm smelled like stinky dog breath!). We had to rearrange that situation! I let him stay on the bed, but I pushed him to the other side of the bed. When I woke up again, he was in his original position. Tonight he sleeps with Dad or in his dog bed! The last week he's been sleeping on his little pallet on Dad's bed.

It's sure a nice, sunny day today. It was nearly 50 degrees when I left for work and it's supposed to get into the 60s. I can use a few days like this! I took a little break earlier and went outside and stood against our building in the sun for few minutes, and several others were doing the same. We took up all the sun!

Did any of you watch the production of Grease Live on TV Sunday night. I almost missed it, but then recorded it last minute. The 1978 movie Grease (with John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing, and Jeff Conaway) brings back so many memories. I was 12 years old and some friends and I went to the movies to see it when it came out. The cast in Sunday's production did a great job, but I was a bit disappointed in the guy who played John Travolta's character Danny Zuko. Surprisingly, Dad is watching it too. It's a 3-hour production though and he says he can't do more than 30 or 40 minutes TV at a time, so he's watching it in increments. Probably take him a week to finish it, if he sticks with it.

Sheryl, my, but that's sure a yummy (and fancy) looking menu! I looked at the photo and your meal looks sooooo good. Makes me hungry just looking at it. But, there would be no way I'd be able to eat all that and dessert in one sitting! Back in the day I could. :# I'd probably make it through half. They did a great job composing that menu. A little something for everyone. That wedding cake top with the penguins is super cute and what a great idea serving petit fours at each table. I'll bet they spent a pretty penny on this wedding! I'm so sorry to hear John continues to struggle and you couldn't meet with your friends. Glad the brain teaser kept you occupied for a while on the trip home!

Anew, so glad you were proactive about the water and your health! Hopefully they will get this cleared up very soon. Contamination of the public water supply is just such a scary situation. We keep 15 gallons of bottled water in our pantry, but most just in case we get hit by an earthquake that disrupts the water supply. I LOVE my immersion blender! I've been using that thing for about 15 or so years now. It's so great with soups and even when making chocolate avocado pudding. I watched that Gordon Ramsey video you provided, and that soup he made looked yummy...but he was a little liberal with the olive oil! I sure get what you're saying about tornadoes. We lived in Indiana for a couple years when I was a teenager and that was my first run in with tornado warnings. Some came pretty close to us, but we never got hit. Our house there didn't have a basement to go to, so we spent some time in our very generous neighbor's basement. I've never experienced a hurricane, and since we moved to Northern CA in 1969, I've only felt a few light earthquakes. Of course some of those "light" earthquakes weren't so light in other areas of CA. :(

Isabella, no, I haven't felt any withdrawal symptoms from not drinking coffee. But, I was usually only a coffee drinker during the work week, and then I would just sip on a 16 ounce thermos of coffee (rarely finishing it). So stopping wasn't too hard. The only time I have coffee now is if I go out for breakfast I might have one cup (with no warm ups!). Nice that you got your water heater picked out. Hopefully you will be problem-free now! Yeah, I'm still enjoying Second Chances too. Clever series.

Enough gabbing for now. Have a nice day everyone!
  • sannferris
    Good Morning.

Isabella, funny story about our water heater, years ago, after we lived here for only a few years, it went out. When we went to replace it, we discovered that the unit was too big to get through the opening. This stupid mobile home...so many things unique about it and not at all like a regular built house. We had to dismantle the heater within it's compartment and remove it piece by piece and then find one smaller in diameter to fit through the access door. We got a 18 gallon water heater and I was afraid of running out of hot water through a shower, laundry, etc. but it hasn't happened yet. Yay for that!

Mobile homes have their advantages (when they are new), but repairs sure are a nightmare. Nothing is "regular" and plumbing, electrical, windows, everything is irregular.

Ha ha ha, I just scrolled up and my own post caught my eye...we had pesto risotto cake, not pest risotto. No bugs involved.

Our friends will be traveling home tomorrow and passing by our way again from Seattle to Eugene. I decided that if John doesn't want to visit, I'll meet them at a restaurant right on I-5 in Ridgefield. Only about 10 miles north of me. We can have a nice time and they won't have to detour very far off the freeway. I really hope John will change his mind and go with me. We'll see.

Talked to Norma yesterday morning and she said Mom was in a very happy mood when they talked Wednesday night. When I called Mom yesterday afternoon, she was still in a good mood. That makes the conversation go so much better and makes Norma and me feel really great. Mom can be a real downer, so when she's "up", it's terrific for all of us. Norma and Simon will spend Sunday afternoon with Mom for the Super Bowl. They had also planned to go visit my mom's brother and his wife tomorrow, but my aunt and uncle had a close friend pass away this past week and the service may be Saturday, so they will confirm plans later today.

I hope to talk John into a haircut and beard trim today. He also needs to shower, I'm starting to realize that he is letting his personal hygiene waiver a bit. I remember that we had to constantly keep after his mom to take a shower and keep clean. That's the hardest part of this whole ordeal is having to treat John like a child and gently lead him into what I want him to do. As this disease gets worse, it may become a battle, we're both stubborn.

Time to refill my mug...