Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    edited January 2016
    Good Morning.
    Yes, Debora, aren't restaurant foods a shocker when you go to log them?!?!?!?

Hudson is 5 lbs. 11 oz. and 18 inches. Norma told me that her boys and Jackson were all over 7-8 lbs. He has big hands and huge feet, so he'll grow into them. Like a puppy ha ha ha

I got other photos of Jackson seeing Hudson for the first time. I'll post them. It's funny, Beth has had such a hard time giving Jackson a haircut, at one point, he had long beautiful blonde hair (looked like a precious little girl). Beth finally confessed to Norma that a regular hair cut was a symbol to her that Jackson was growing up, a little man, and not her baby anymore. Now that she has a new baby, maybe Jackson will get a proper haircut, ha ha ha

Debora, do you have a digital camera? and transfer your photos into your computer? If so, then posting them here is simple. Just click on the icon above that looks like a piece of paper with the corner folded over and click browse and find your pictures and choose which one you want. If you're still using camera with film then it involves scanning your pictures into your computer. That's more work and effort. I still have (2) Canon 35 mm cameras that I tried to sell on Craigslist a few years back, no takers, everyone has digital now. I'll donate them next time I have gathered more declutter to get rid of. I even have a special zoom lens and lot of extras. I thought some photo buff would love to have the old stuff and develop their own film, but I think even the old pros have gone to digital.

I have all my colonoscopy prep material on the counter. I'll read through the directions again and see what starts tonight and what I do tomorrow to get ready for Friday. I know that I'll feed John leftovers tomorrow because all I can have is clear liquids. Maybe I'll drop a few pounds. Happy benefit.

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited January 2016
    Good morning (she says yawning!).

Well, it looks like our "storm" is just about done. It rained a little over night, but just lightly drizzling when I went to work, and now the sun is trying to come out. Kind of a dud of a storm this time.

I learned the other day that a new law went in to effect on January 1st. Now when we go to a store in the Sacramento county (where I work), we have the choice of bringing our own bags, no bags or paying 10 cents per bag. Doesn't apply to the county where I live though. They were going to eliminate plastic bags entirely, but the lobbyists got that stopped. This is the alternative. I do keep cloth shopping bags in my car and need to start using them more often. One thing I have to remind myself to do when I use the cloth bags is periodically wash them. They can get germy after awhile.

I'm a pretty pragmatic person and not much of a gambler or California lottery ticket buyer, but I just couldn't pass it up today. The jackpot for tonight, so far, is at it's largest ever at $1.5 billion. I know the odds on winning are basically nill, but it's fun to hope. Can you imagine winning that much money? Ha! People who live in other states near CA are even driving to CA so they can buy tickets. One guy on the radio this morning who lives in Reno, Nevada said he waited in line with other ticket buyers for 3 hours to get his ticket at a store just over the CA border. Craziness.

Here's one long line of ticket buyers that goes down the street in Hawthorne, CA! I bought mine this morning in the little store that's across the street from work and there was no line yet. The owner said it got real busy yesterday. I bet she gets swamped today!

ptsloa9xst2z.jpg

Sheryl, can you drink broth tomorrow, or is that not clear enough? My Mom had a colonoscopy, but I can't remember what she consumed the day before. Thanks for the offer of the DVDs, but I don't have a working DVD player right now. That was nice of you to offer though. I suspect one day the series will wind up on NetFlix. I'm surprised there wasn't someone out there wanting your old cameras! I've got a couple buried deeply somewhere within my bedroom closet. I've been using the digital camera instead for about 12 years now.

Debora, yay that Julie found her dress. Wished we could see it, but I'll imagine how pretty it is. I'm guessing you are using a camera with film instead of a digital camera. Yeah, its the Fitbit they replaced. I just haven't taken any time to figure out the problem. Maybe this weekend. I'm hoping I just need to upgrade the app. We'll see. I plan to stick with that brand. Yep, it's often shocking when we learn what calories (and sodium!) are in restaurant food. I'm going lighter on mayo these days, but haven't given it up. I've also started using mustard. I used to hate the stuff, but really enjoy it now.

Speaking of mayo, I was looking for something in the pantry the other day and found we have 3 large bottles of mayo up there! I bought one a while back not knowing we had some dad bought another, and then when we used up another bottle he forgot we had some and bought more! Wished I had a reason to make pasta salads and deviled eggs. Ha!

Okey-dokey, back to work. Have a lovely day everyone!!
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Sheryl, won't hurt if you don't eat lots of fiber and stuff already today. At least you're reading all the material well. I thought I remember (ha) and messed up my last one. You won't do that.
  • sannferris
    Yes, Marcie, I can have broth. Any liquid that I can see through. I can even keep my coffee, which surprised me.
    Good Luck with your lottery ticket. Our neighbors said that they were going to buy one too, just because.

Debora, I did sort of goof up already, I stopped taking the warfarin last Sunday, but misread the instructions and I was suppose to stop multivitamins and supplements too. I took calcium and vitamin D on Monday and yesterday. Oops, but, I am going to continue on and I think I'll be fine, I did not take them today, nor will I tomorrow or Friday. I really don't think it will matter, they said that I can continue taking the blood pressure and cancer medications.

I got a good "workout" this morning. I forgot to take the trash out to the street last night for this morning's pick up. All of a sudden, I remembered and did a mad rush. Got my heart pumping pretty good. I had time to spare, the truck didn't show up until 9 am today, rather late for them, but lucky for me. The recycling bin is still out there, different truck that comes later in the day.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning.

Marcie, are you a billionaire this morning?

It's an all liquid day for me today, pray for me!!!!! that I don't absent mindedly put any food in my mouth.

I better go out feeding before I get too weak, ha ha ha
  • sannferris
    I just checked the FedEx tracking number and the dress should arrive today, Yay!!
  • mygnsac
    Good morning everyone.

Would you believe I didn't win the jackpot?! What a shocker! Ha!

We're supposed to have dribs and drabs of rain today and tomorrow. It will be a chilly, grey day with no sunshine. Ugh.

I sure got lots of sleep last night. I went to bed at 8:00 and didn't wake up until the alarm went off at 6 am. Very unusual for me to not wake up a couple times and to sleep for so many hours.

I'm having a piece of egg/cheese/basil/spinach breakfast pizza someone brought in for breakfast this morning. So good. 300 calories for one piece. Not too bad. They also had a sausage/egg/cheese pizza, but I prefer the spinach one. Not a big fan of sausage on pizza. Dad say's I'm weird about my favorite pizza toppings. He thinks pizza should always be topped with sausage, pepperoni and cheese and none of the fru-fru stuff like basil, artichokes, spinach, etc. I love the fru-fru stuff. Ha!

Last week Cisco started a bad habit of pulling back Dad's bedding back during the day and crawling under the covers. Dad had to start keeping his bedroom door closed to stop this. After thinking it over, I thought maybe he's doing that because he wants us to put his doggy pallet on that bed again (he used to sleep on Dad's bed all the time, but then switched it up and moved to my room in his dog bed). So, I put his pallet on the bed and it looks like that fixed that problem. He hasn't gotten under the covers for 6 days now. Just snuggles up in his pallet. He still sleeping in my room at night (there's a butt-warmer for him in there!), but during the day he is sleeping on his pallet. He sure keeps us guessing!

We're having an hour-long all-staff meeting this morning down in the auditorium. I'm not a fan of the auditorium. The lighting is very dim and there are stairs between the isles (like a movie theater) and I always feel like I'm going to fall. On top of that, I find the fold out seats (also like in a movie theater) very uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so. Again, ugh. The last time I had to attend a meeting in that room, it was two excruciating hours, so I guess I should be glad this one is only one hour.

Sheryl, I hope all goes well with the liquid-only day. Doesn't sound fun at all. Yay that you were able to get the trash out in time! We've been having a problem with the gardeners (they roll out trash cans out to the curb after they are finished with the yard). The recycle can is supposed to go out one week and the green waste cans go out the next week, and they've been mixing them up. After they put out the cans, some of our neighbors see what can we have out and then put out the wrong can themselves. Dad went around to the neighbors that had the wrong can out to let them know about it.

Have a wonderful Thursday everyone. :)
  • sannferris
    edited January 2016
    Good Morning. I made it through yesterday on liquids. Mostly water, I had 1/2 mug of coffee early and some broth a little later, but water tasted best to me. I mixed the preparation with lemon-lime Gatorade and that wasn't bad tasting at all. I warmed up a bowl of stew for John and he also had a roast beef sandwich and constantly asked me why I'm not eating. He now forgets things within 5-10 minutes of asking. Poor guy, as soon as I tell him, he says, "Oh Yea, I knew that, you must have just told me, sorry".

I've lost weight already. Wednesday morning I weighed 202 lbs. and this morning the scale read 195.4. If I eat sensibly after this procedure, I can keep it off and hopefully continue to lose. I would love to see 170 again.

Marcie, that deal with the various trash cans is confusing. I would have no idea how to mark them that the gardeners can follow. Good luck, gardeners tend to do their own thing. I pay for every other week service and put the trash (garbage) out for every pick up. The big recycle bin(plastic/paper/cardboard/cans) and the smaller box just for glass, I usually end up putting out once a month, it's huge and we don't fill it every two weeks. I chose not to pay for yard debris because we can burn and I also compost.

Time to go get another load of hay, today looks best weather wise, but I'm busy today. I hope there's a dry spot tomorrow, long enough for us to drive up the road and get the hay and get it back under cover without much rain on it. Monday looks good too, but then the llamas will have to be patient because I only have enough hay right now for through Sunday. I can see them now, on Monday morning, all lined up at the fence watching the truck pull out and yearning for it to come back loaded.

I spent more time on the other computer yesterday and am totally fed up with Windows 10. For me, it's much worse than Windows 8, so I'll most likely uninstall and revert back. But, today is not the day to deal with that.

That's it for now, I'll drink more preparation and empty EVERYTHING out of me. Carol will be by to pick me up shortly after noon.

• sannferris
    edited January 2016
    Good Morning, back to my routine, I have my mug of coffee and I'm clean as a whistle.
    Yesterday went well and there were no polyps. The doctor recommended, that with my history, I should have it done again in 5 years.
    With new medications, it wasn't bad at all, when I woke up, I felt fine and wasn't groggy nor did I forget the Dr's visit after. However, they still won't let you drive yourself. I am so thankful that Carol is so willing to drive me, she'll be dropping me off and picking me up from the airport for the wedding also.
    Years ago, John and I accompanied our friend, the other John, to a colonoscopy and he was talking gibberish an hour after his procedure and called me the next day to find out what the doctor had said, he didn't remember a thing. Unfortunately, he had bad news, he had, and still has, ulcerative colitis. The pictures were a mess and the nurse said she had never seen a colon so bad and irritated. Poor guy.
    I am truly counting my blessings.

I just checked the weather site here on the computer and we have 100% of rain with thunderstorms forecast for today. No hay today, hopefully, Monday.

I finally reached someone at the County, in the right department, who understands our drainage problem and is in a position to help. It's all in finding the right person. I had gone through zoning and code enforcement, but turns out, I needed the environmental agency. Hopefully, they will get the ditch dredged and cleaned out very soon. We will be so pleased, and even more important, the llamas will be happy. No good trying to graze in mud. We are the only neighbors affected that have big animals, so I guess the others on our side of the street just ignore their pasture area during the winter.

I think the Seattle Seahawks are playing today again, so John will watch a little tv and I can get more done on the computer. See you later.

• sannferris
    Quick correction, Seattle Seahawks play tomorrow.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi everyone!

We had a pretty nice day today - it was in the low 60's and only partly cloudy. My friend Jami and I met our friend Mona and drove to the beach in Del Mar. Mona brought chairs and tuna wraps, Jami brought lap blankets (in case we got cold), and made a fruit salad, and I brought 2 kinds of chips and paper plates and napkins. We had a really nice relaxing time sitting on the beach, chatting and munching.

I got home around 3pm and made some tea for Dan and I. He has a cold/sinus thing and last night my throat started feeling sore and my nose is a tad runny. :(

Tonight I am going to make us a quick pasta dinner and we'll snuggle on the loveseat and watch a movie or some of our shows.

Interesting what each of you said about your glasses. I wear progressives and love them. I always get used to them quickly. Once in a great while I do have to think about which part I should be looking thru when I can't see something quite right though - usually close up stuff. I can't imagine keeping up with 3 pair Marcie! :) I would definitely lose one. I used to have a separate pair of prescription sunglasses a very long time ago but haven't needed them ever since they came out with the transition lenses.

A couple of the girls at work were raving about a new show that just started called "Second Chance". Dan and I watched the first episode on demand last night and the gals were right - it really captures your interest so we decided to start recording it and see where it goes. The premise is about a 75 yr old sheriff who was not a nice person - alcoholic, not so good father, etc who dies and is brought back to life by a genius brother and sister who need a certain gene he has to help the sister who is dying of cancer. It has a good amount of action and intrigue.

Anew, Hope you're sleeping better this week. For my two cents I like the second headboard better. The first one seems really massive. Dan and I have just a very simple basic old fashioned headboard. Where did you post your mayo recipe?

Jannie and Sheryl, interesting about the Japanese lady with the declutter by item method. I think that would be too distracting for me. I will just take small sections of a room at a time and get rid of stuff by either giving it away to friends or take it to goodwill or another resale shop. I started today by giving Jami a nice Mikasa crystal vase I've had for a long time but haven't used in quite a while. She likes to decorate much more than I do.

Sheryl, glad you got your haircut and that the colonoscopy went well. The "bridal shower" at the country club that Norma attended sounds crazy. Definitely a different lifestyle. Did your dress arrive? Dan has a couple of antique cameras that he thought would be worth money but when he looked into it he was told that there were so many made and still so many around because they were made so well, that they just aren't worth much. That was our first lesson on what makes antiques valuable.

Debora, I will be OK to move where and when Dan is ready. I'm happy here but I'll be happy anywhere and I'm all for simplifying life. Dan isn't one to do anything rash so it will probably be a while yet before he decides to make that move anyway. And if not, that's OK. He'd like to move to a 55 and up neighborhood. I wouldn't mind a nice little condo in a small complex. We'll see what God has in mind. I agree with your sister, I've never had a flu shot and I'm not about to start now. I like to go to the doctor about once a year for a physical and blood work. I skipped last year but would like to go in a couple of months.

Marcie, Interesting about the grocery bags. Many cities are threatening to go that route. I have used my own grocery bags for many years so it won't be an issue for me. We have a lot of "Aldi" grocery stores opening here in So. Cal. You have to pay 10 cents per bag there or use their boxes or bring your own. They had one in NJ but I didn't really care for it. Their stuff was pretty limited and not always the best quality. They may have improved though. Too funny about all the jars of mayo! I like to use Trader Joe's organic mayo. I don't use mayo often so I don't beat myself up if I have some but I do try to use less. I should try getting used to mustard again. Your breakfast pizza sounds wonderful!

OK, I've rambled on quite long enough! Have a wonderful evening!

• sannferris
    Good Morning. I can hear the rain on the roof, going to be another very wet day.
    With only one day of eating, being as careful and mindful as I could be, I have already gained back 5 pounds. Of course, the nurses told me that I would, I think they were giggling at my enthusiasm over losing the 7 pounds and they told me it wouldn't last. But, still, I need to get back on track and lose these pesky extra 20-30 pounds.

Since I'm not out and about every day like when I was working, and even my doctor's appointments are not frequent anymore, getting to the store is harder. I decided to try Blue Apron and have some meals delivered to the house. I followed Andy on facebook when he got his meals and they looked good. I got my first box of 3 meals and cooked a Korean Pork Ragu yesterday. It was very good, both John and I liked it a lot. I whussed out regarding the spicy hot paste and only added a fraction of they provided and it was plenty spicy. Today, I will prepare the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich, again I will be very sparse with the "Buffalo" part, I don't want it too spicy. The third meal is a Salmon & Salsa Verde. Then, next week, I get 3 more meals. I'm going to like the variety and trying new stuff. I think the cost to me will be a bargain, having just the right amount of ingredients and not over buying for a recipe and end up throwing extra stuff away later because I didn't use it all. They supply just the amount of ingredient that is needed for each recipe. This should really help on my portion control too.
    I started to use Plan To Eat, Blazinmomma was posting about it on facebook, but after using it for 2 weeks, (I signed up for the free 1 month trial), I find it not useful for me. I write everything down on paper first and then put it in the computer. So, I really don't need to input it into the computer, I have it all written out already. It's not a logging site, it has a calendar to help you plan what meals you will have on what day and then formulates your shopping list. So, for me, this is definitely NOT worth spending money on. This may be one of the sites that Anew shared with us, sorry, I can't remember all the links that Anew gave us, so I'm not sure.

I had to laugh, at myself, when I read Isabella's (I hope I'm remembering correctly about it being Isabella) comment about all the paper she accumulates...THAT'S ME. When I find info on the computer, I print out a hard copy as well as saving in "documents". I have notebooks labeled for all sorts of things. I have more faith in my paper than I do in the computer, I have lost so much info due to computer failure.

Time to refill my mug, see you later.
  • isyvanek
    The blue apron sounds like a great fit for you Sheryl. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Yes, it was me and my paper clutter. I got rid of 2 piles today. (or shifted some of it around a bit!) :) Yay for me! Only 900 more to go!
  • sannferris
    Quick pop in.

Got the dress over to the seamstress for shortening and she was able to zip it up and it fits good. I forgot if I told you, I could only zip it up to the bodice myself. Then, the material was very thick and my arms wouldn't adjust enough to continue zipping. John got totally confused and could not zip it for me and would not try to force it. So, until this morning, I still wasn't sure how it looked on me. It fits quite well, I'm pleased. I pick it up next Monday morning.

This afternoon we got a ton of hay on the truck. The llamas sure were happy. Beautiful day, but rains should return tonight and rain all day tomorrow. I hope the county environmental agency guy comes over tomorrow, then he'll see first hand how swampy we are. There's standing water in the pasture again.

So, I got two chores done today, I feel very satisfied.

• isyvanek
    Awesome Sheryl! So happy to hear that the dress looks good! Also happy that the weather broke enough for you to load up on hay for the llamas! You'll have to let us know how it goes with the environmental guy.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. While browsing Facebook last Sunday, I saw a post that said it was "Cousins Day", so I jokingly sent Nancy a Happy Cousins Day email. She responded and I found out that she's having terrible back pain. To the extent of having an MRI, finding out that she has a bulging and herniated disc and spinal stenosis. She's scheduled for an epidural on Thursday, unless she can convince them to get her in earlier. But, it will probably be Thursday because she has to be off blood thinners for a week before the procedure. She's on huge amounts of pain meds and still no relief. Fortunately, her work load is light right now and she is able to take the whole week off to let her body heal. Years ago, she had the same problem with a disc in her neck and required surgery. She is hoping that with the epidural, she can take it easy and heal without surgery.

I watched the movie, War Room, last night. A great movie about the power of prayer. I now more fully understand why you were talking about writing down scripture, as opposed to simply reading it. I now believe that is part of my problem...I am always praying, "giving everything to the Lord", but not letting Him speak to me. I'm not reading the scripture as much as I need to and certainly, writing passages down and rereading them in my own hand, they will sink in deeper and much more profound. I will start that this morning. I desperately need more guidance as I deal with John.

• mygnsac
    edited January 2016
    Good morning everyone.

Yesterday was the last 3-day weekend for the month. The next one will be President's Day next month.

Dad's 72 birthday was on Saturday. We'd didn't do much. Just stayed at home. He's not one for wanting to celebrate birthdays. Usually we go out for lunch or dinner, but we just weren't in the mood.

I woke up to a soggy dog trying to crawl into bed with me this morning (he didn't get far before I kicked him out). He got rained on during their morning walk. Dad said he had to tug a little to get Cisco to walk out in the rain, but once he got going he was fine. He didn't dawdle though. Did his business and turned around to come home.

There's lots of rain, lots of wind, and lots of people's umbrellas being turned inside out this morning. I use a large bubble umbrella and it never turns inside out.

Suffice it to say, the commute to work this morning was pretty ugly. I don't think I ever got much over 10 mph during the 13-mile trip. At least everyone slowed down and didn't drive like maniacs.

I made a pot of black eyed peas yesterday and brought some in for lunch today, but the Grille's soup of the day today is that yummy potato, cheddar, bacon soup again, so I'm splurging again and having a cup of that. I'll eat the black eyed peas tomorrow.

Yesterday I noticed Cisco trying to eat something that fell on the floor. My Dad must have dropped one of his Mentos mints. Since it has Xylitol in it (not good for dogs), I needed to get it away from him. You should have seen him lead me on the chase. He was having great fun! By the time I finally got it away from him, he had just cracked through the shell, but hadn't eaten any of it.

I just noticed on Facebook the other day that Christina Siegfried's name has changed to Steve's name. They must have gotten married. They make such a cute couple. I'm so behind on Facebook. I need to take some time and catch up with everyone. I remember the days on NM when Steve was known as "Mr. Best Buy." Ha!

I'm the opposite about paper build-up. It makes me all twitchy. I keep everything I can on the computer and if it's something really important to me, I keep it on a flash drive, just incase something happens to the computer. Good luck with the purging!!

Isabella, after you mentioned that new show, Second Chance, I watched it and really enjoyed it. It's a different premise than I've seen before and should be an interesting series to watch. I think I'll stick with that one to see where it goes. I hope you are feeling better and no longer have the sore throat. That lunch at the beach sounds like a perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon!

Sheryl, yay that the dress fit and you like it. At least that's done now! You probably mentioned it already, but I can't recall. Will John be going with you on your trip this time? Blue Apron sounds like a great plan for you. I'm with you one not going overboard on the spice.

Well, I've just about inhaled all of my soup, so back to work. Have a nice everyone.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Just stopped to say 'hi'. I've been reading but not taking the time to write - will get there.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Me too, my headache turned into a really bad cold so I haven't been up for much of anything at all. I'll come back when I feel better.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning.
    Yesterday, it rained all day, so, in between helping John with a variety of stuff and preparing meals, I was finally able to "recover" Windows 8.1 on the HP computer. What a headache, Windows 10 was a nightmare. Got to the point that it wouldn't allow me to click on anything...I finally turned it off using the power button, it wouldn't give me access to the "shut down" or "restart" buttons. So, I'm happy to say that I'm back with my handful of Windows 8 problems and done with the multitude of trouble that's Windows 10.

Yes, Marcie, Christina and Mr. Best Buy got hitched. Last November. It's been fun watching them grow as a couple. (As much as they choose to share on fb). Christina seems so very happy.
    https://www.facebook.com/20911316/posts/10103118000878250/?pnref=story

Yesterday's Blue Apron meal was Seared Salmon with Salsa Verde. Loved the salmon and the faro/spinach salad. I ended up not putting the salsa on my salmon, not to my taste. John liked it though. Today, I get another box delivered with 3 more meals to prepare. This is exciting, a new taste adventure.
    I am going to lunch with Carol and the other ladies today, so I'll probably bring home a Subway sandwich for John and start preparing the Blue Apron tomorrow.

Anew, hope you feel better soon. No fun feeling bad so often.