Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    edited March 2016
    Good Morning. This will be short, John is up already. He did go with me yesterday and although that changed my plans a bit, we had a good time. I let the shopping go until another time. My check up went as I thought, routinely, and I go back in 3 months and get a CT scan right before the next appointment. We went to dinner at a new Mexican restaurant that got a very favorable write-up in the newspaper. It was good, but not as good as our favorite local place that we like. So, why drive the extra miles when the food and service and prices are so much better at the closer place. We probably won't go there again, but, ironically, we saw a Sonic over in that area and also a Chic-Fil-A under construction, "Coming Soon". So, right after I mentioned yesterday that those places were not here...here they are.
    There's also a Noodles and Company over there and our neighbors were raving about that place, for really good pasta dishes, so we may drive back again someday, maybe after my next 3 month check-up.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited March 2016
    Good evening all, today was a hot day but I managed to make some mushroom soup, and some leek and potato soup. I'll have soup, salad and sandwiches to serve hubby this weekend while we work our butts off again in the house. We still have the craft room, the dining room makeshift pantry, and need to re-treat the furniture, baseboards and bathroom in the master bedroom this weekend. I got bit a couple of times last night (early this am) and was able to kill one, but I couldn't locate the others that were biting me.

I forgot to say that I found one baby bug in the bedding yesterday when I took it off the bed to pop it all in the dryer. I am vacuuming and drying the bedding daily. I also use a piece of masking tape on the mattress pad before I put the sheets back on. I always check the pad but I don't think those will manage being dried daily because of the material they are made from. I'll just have to do those once per week. It seems if I do the sheets and blanket the biting is less, probably because it is in the sheets and blankets that they want a meal from me. Those sheets are gonna be toast and that blanket will probably be melted by the time this is all said and done. I mentioned to my husband we should pick and choose specific clothing to wear during this so that we don't ruin everything we own.

Thank goodness the re-treating is so much easier than the preparation for the initial treatments. That should take all of about 1/2 hour since we left the backs off the dressers to make re-treating faster. We have at least 4-6 treatments total in the next couple of months, so whatever it takes to make it easier is what we are doing. Everything has to remain in bags or airtight containers until we know we are free of these monsters. What a life, black bags everywhere, it looks like we are moving, lol. One good thing about all of this is if I don't miss it during this saga, it will be out the door after it's treated. :smiley:

My island has two coats of paint on the outside and needs it's third. I am putting three because it will be used so heavily and it will get three coats of polyurethane on it. Tomorrow morning is breakfast with our friends before they head out, we'll meet around 9:30.

Sannferris-Great news on your checkup, may all of them be good news and I am glad John took you up on having a day out. I forgot to tell you the bedbug in the paper towels looked like it was needing a meal, like it was dehydrated. It was flat and kind of dry looking but it still had it's tale tell brownish red look to it. It seemed like it was about in its 4th feeding, no babies for that one.

It's about time to sit and relax with hubby, he didn't get home from work until almost 7:00 tonight. He is off tomorrow making it a three day weekend for him. Goodnight everyone.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    Good morning all.

Yay, it's Friday! It's been a long week.

Yesterday I checked out how much data I use on my smart phone and it averages out to about 1.2 gigabytes (GB) per month. My data service plan provides 5 GB per month. I'm thinking about changing to a 3 GB plan, so I'll probably stop by the T-Mobile store this weekend and get some more info. Maybe I can reduce the monthly cost a bit. I currently pay $75 per month. Dad has a 3 GB plan and pays $65 per month. It's only a $10 difference, but that would save me $120 a year.

Cisco has started sleeping with me again. For a while there he was sleeping on his pallet on Dad's bed. Then he switched to his dog bed on the floor in my bedroom. But all week this week I wake up to find him in bed with me. He just can't make up his mind!

After whining in my post the other day about how slow it was getting my CA state tax refund, I checked my bank account and there it was. :smiley:

We have a day off next Thursday for César Chávez Day, so I'm thinking about also taking Friday off for a 4-day weekend. After next Thursday, out next holiday won't be until May 30th for Memorial Day.

Dad, with his hurt hand, finally bit the bullet and asked me to help him unload the case of diet Pepsi from his car. It takes a lot for him to admit he's hurting and needs help from me.

I decided to stop by McDonald's on the way into work this morning. It's probably been about two years since I went there. I got a sausage and egg McMuffin and two hash browns. My second splurgy breakfast this week! OMG...I just looked up the nutritional info on my McKeeDee's breakfast. The total calories was 730; the total fat was 43 g; and the total sodium was 1450 mg!!! I need to get busy and drink a load of water!

Sheryl, that's great that John decided to go with you the other day! I'm sorry about your ailing chicken. John has a good heart wanting to bring her in the house, but you are right. She would be miserable inside. How old is she?

Anew, I'm sorry you weren't able to have your friends stay with you, but it was probably best. I hope you all had a nice farewell breakfast this morning. I hope you enjoyed your chicken fried steak and biscuits and gravy.

Debora, that was so honest of you removing the Fitbit while in the truck the other day! What is the soybean meal for? To feed the animals? No, I don't add tomato sauce to the beans when I reheat them. I prefer adding it when I initially cook up the beans because the sauce soaks into the beans. That doesn't happen too well during the reheat.

My break is just about over so I'd better close and get back to work. I need to run down to my car first though. I left my thermos of coffee in it when I got to work this morning. Oh, did I mention I'm back on coffee? I got burned out on tea, so I switched by to coffee last week.

Have a nice day everyone.

P.S. Good news...I'm FINALLY getting the hang of Word 2010 and Adobe Acrobat XI! :smiley: Bad news...STILL no printer! :confounded:
  • sannferris
    Good Morning, I'm late getting here this morning, I slept in until 7:15 and then quickly went out to feed. I usually have the cracked corn out by 7 am. John got up to check on the chicken but has since gone back to bed, so I have a little me time with my coffee.
    I need to back up to yesterday about the chicken. John moped around all morning staring out the window at the poor chicken. (Marcie, I just checked my records and she and the other two Barred Rocks are 6 years old, the 2 Rhode Island Reds are 7 years old). By noon, he couldn't stand it anymore and went out to "move her to a better location", well, that ended up being in his arms in the house. He claimed she was cold. So, we had a chicken in the house all afternoon. John pampered her and force fed her and she did actually perk up a bit. As it got later and she was looking for a place to roost for the night, John asked me where he should put her. I said outside, on the roost, with the other chickens. Otherwise, she is going in a box on the floor and she will not be happy there. I really thought that he'd use the excuse that it's too cold for her outside and fight me on that, but he took her outside and place her with the other chickens. Yay!! Victory!!!

This morning, since I overslept, she was already down on the ground when I got up, so obviously, she's well enough to get down the ramp on her own. I did move her though and put her under the big tree with her own food and water. The geese were picking on her, so I put up panels to protect her. But, if all goes well, she'll stay outside today and live out her days where she's happy.

John's up again, so I'll close for now.
  • sannferris
    Anew, be super glad that you don't live with John...we have those little black ants again on the kitchen counter and John treats them like pets, gets very upset when I kill them. If he could tell them apart, I'm sure he'd name each one of them. Can you imagine petting your bed bugs?
  • anewstart22
    sannferris wrote: »
    Anew, be super glad that you don't live with John...we have those little black ants again on the kitchen counter and John treats them like pets, gets very upset when I kill them. If he could tell them apart, I'm sure he'd name each one of them. Can you imagine petting your bed bugs?

LOL, I needed a good laugh, just had another damn fight with hubby. I hate this *kitten*! It is the most depressing thing to deal with.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2016
    Hi all, We had an interesting day today. We had our usual Saturday morning breakfast of over medium eggs, ham and toast then headed to a new bridal consignment shop so I can drop off my wedding dress and hat. I remembered as we were pulling up that the owner told me to call first because she often has appointments with brides and isn't available. Shoot! I hurried up and called but she was with a bride and had another appointment afterward. I told her I had forgotten that I was supposed to call first and was at her shop right now so she said I could come in and drop the dress off and she would call me later tonight or tomorrow to discuss it. She was very sweet. We'll see what she has to say. I hope she wants to take it because I don't want to go back and pick it up. I don't care how much I get for it. After that we walked around for a while. On the way home we stopped at a Verizon store because hubby has decided we should join the 21st century and get rid of our stupid phones and get some sort of smart phone so we won't be so tied to our home computer if we end up moving. Sounds like the best deal will be a Samsung Galaxy for each of us with 1GB of data for $78 per month. We'll see if that is enough data or if we have to upgrade to 3GB for $93 per month. The iPhones would be approx. $20 more per month. We haven't done it yet because hubby wants to research the phones and see what would be the best choice. When we left there Dan was hungry again so we went to a burger place that we have heard of for months called Anny's. The burgers are grass fed beef and were VERY good. We might go there again some time but our favorite burger place the Hamburger Factory is closer so we will just continue to go there rather than drive 15 miles to go to Anny's. Like Sheryl said it's not worth it when the local place is as good or better and much closer. We have a husband and wife realtor team coming over tonight at 6pm to look at our house, make some suggestions and give us advice on what our options are about selling and whether to buy or rent. They also have a property management company so they can help us with either. We'll see what they have to say.

Sheryl, too funny about getting the restaurant recommendations from your friends mixed up. Maybe you'll try the other place some time. Glad you tried the plantains even if they were bland. The only time I had them they were made by a Filipino friend (fried) and were quite good. Very glad that your appointment was another good one. Hopefully the next one will be the one where you can switch to every 6 months. I know what you mean about doing some exercise and finding muscles you'd forgotten you had. ;)

Debora, busy as usual I see. Glad the shower went well. Did she get everything she needs? It will be nice to have "the room" decluttered enough to put her gifts in. Having a goal should help. Let me know how it goes.

Anew, such a major bummer about the continuing saga of the bed bugs. I am so glad you can come here and vent with us. Hope it helps to some small extent. My hubby was also sympathizing with you. He said if that ever happened to us we'd move out and tent the place or whatever it takes until they were gone because we just would not be able to be diligent and systematic like you. He said it could even be something like your whole town might be experiencing an infestation and that might be what is making it even more difficult to get rid of them. Very happy that your DMV experience was so much better this time. Also so very nice that you got to see your friends a couple of times while they were here. Did you get your chicken fried steak and biscuit and gravy? At least there are some bright spots in your ongoing torment.

Marcie, I'm not sure if I ever saw Terms of Endearment. If so, I don't remember it. I'll have to look for it one of these days. You'll have to show us another picture when the daffodils bloom. My mom loved daffodils. They are such a happy sunny flower. I like to buy a couple of bunches when Trader Joe's sells them for $1.49 per bunch. They really brighten up the room. We haven't seen much of "Mr. Difficult" lately. He is keeping more of a check on his puppy instead of letting it run the neighborhood. I think one of the neighbors must have complained. We just don't know what to expect from him. It is like waiting for the other shoe to drop. We have a Firehouse subs that opened a couple of towns north of us. I've been wanting to try it. Dan really likes toasted subs. It was funny to hear about the doggy hammock your dad bought. My co-worker just got a new car and she also got a doggy hammock so her pooches would not get hair all over the car.

I'm not making dinner tonight since we had such a big lunch but I'll have to go and get ready for the realtor appt soon. Jami and her husband are out of town this weekend so it will be just Dan and I for Easter. I decided to just get a rotissorie chicken from Costco, bake a couple of potatoes and that will be our Easter dinner. Well, I'm sure I've rambled on long enough.

Happy Easter everyone!
  • anewstart22
    edited March 2016
    Good morning everyone, I've had about 5 hours sleep tonight. We had a nice breakfast Friday with our friends and I did get my chicken fried steak with biscuits and gravy. Yum, my favorite breakfast place.

Yesterday we stripped the bed, pulled off the mattress and box spring to inspect the bed and frame before we treated the room again. Found three dead (almost adult) bed bugs within the bed frame and three total dead babies in various areas of the carpeting. Vacuumed everything and treated all the furniture again with the fen-star and the bedlam.

I got bit at least three times last night on my left upper arm, right and left forearm. It feels like I might have been bit on my left upper foot area as well, just waiting for the itch to become welts. Last night I decided to just use sheets on the bed which makes a little less work for me by only throwing the sheets in the dryer. The mattress pads are getting weakened from so much dryer heat the one that has elastic strips on each corner is breaking. The other one is getting holes in the portion that goes over the mattress. I use these so kitty can't claw the bed and looks like we will be buying more of these in the very near future. I will see if I can fix (sew) the one that is losing it's elastic but I don't know if I can. I think the elastic is getting dried out and breaking but maybe I can add new elastic.

Either way this is one expensive problem, I think we've spent about $1600 so far but it's still only half what we would have been charged with no guarantees, and we have all sorts of extras (bed encasements and pillow covers, etc) we wouldn't have had. This puts us way ahead of the game.

Sannferris-I thank you for the laugh about John liking the ants so much and naming them if he could tell them apart. I had gone to breakfast with our friends and she requested a sample of bed bug so she would know what to look for. When I handed her the dried up dead specimen in a ziploc bag I told her, "this is Earl, don't let him come visit you" and I smiled real big. She looked at her husband and said, "oh my, she's naming them now". I laughed, we all laughed. Then she asked, "is Earl dead?" LOL.

Isyvanek-It sounds like your day was very productive yesterday. The burgers sound delicious. The phones sound good too, hubby tells me he uses under 1 gig and he plays games on his all the time. If you will be using your phone for GPS, or listening to music, or downloading a lot of things then you might need more gigs. I don't do much on mine, I text and call and I use some of the apps on mine like the calendar, camera and the note pad, but that is about it. I barely use any of my allotment. You can go here to see who has the best coverage and services for your area.

cellreception.com/coverage/ca/san-diego/page1.html

How did it go with the realtor? I don't know about renting a home I own, after finding this house the way I did with renters having it for at least 8 years or so it was a mess. I remember when we sold our house out here and were looking for a temporary place to live we decided to buy an RV, it was the most disgusting thing to see the houses out here for rent. People don't care much about other's property around here and a lot of the land lords out here don't care much about the people. I am amazed they actually cut food on the counter tops here instead of using a proper cutting board. All the counters have cut marks in them and the floors are so scratched up it's ridiculous and all the maintenance that was put off. The roof had already lost it's windstorm protection policy because the owner made a hail claim, was paid for it and pocketed the money. He didn't make the repairs so Texas windstorm didn't rewrite his policy. That's what happens a lot out here, the owners don't care if their property is safe for people or not.

Spiders were everywhere inside the house. Hanging on the walls, crawling on the floors and outside they were all over the house siding and eaves. I made the realtor call the exterminator to work on that and the back yard grass was 5 feet tall so I made them get someone out here to take care of that too. I couldn't believe the realtor said this house was ready to move into, boy I feel spoiled by the rentals I had in California, at least things were maintained where I rented. Then the house went up for sale less than one month of moving into this house, it was a sound structure with no termites or water damages. It just needed to be loved so we bought it with a new roof written into the sale at no cost to us. I wasn't about to have some investor come in and disrupt my life for the next few months and then turn around and raise the rent on me.

While re-treating the dining room I had hubby take down the temporary curtains so I could toss them in the wash and clean the window, the view outside was nice to have. Hubby and I began talking about a home improvement loan again to get the new windows and doors we need. The windows we have are single glass and very difficult to open so really are not safe for a fire, they are the cheapest the builder could put into the structure. This reminds me to do a search on how to make them slide better. Maybe I can find a fix. We would like to replace the window in the dining room with a patio door (french door would be nice) and close off the entry/exit door in the tiny hall to our bedroom with a window instead. This would make the backyard much easier to get into. I have a friend in a wheelchair and this house is not accommodating to her at all. We can't get her through the 32" back door, so we go out the front door and wheel her around to the back. If we put in a patio door we can take her straight outside to the patio. Of course, doing the windows means some electrical has to be moved and I need some added so the cost will be around $20,000 to get all this work done.

Finally, bed bugs are the landlords problem in California, are you sure you want to take that on? People bring home things from the street and take things from Craigslist without ever looking at what they are bringing home. That's ripe for an infestation, even library books, hospitals and buying from resale shops, etc, are a problem. If it were me, I would be selling outright, no more maintenance issues for you. Nothing will enter this house without being fully inspected and first cleaned, then treated with Bedlam Plus from now on, this will be an ongoing fight. I have always looked every piece of furniture I have purchased over really well, but some people just toss it into the truck and bring it home without ever really looking at things.

This link is for the bed bug law for California renters, maybe the realtors can give you a list of things you are totally required to take care of.

cchealth.org/bedbugs/pdf/Bed-Bugs-Law-California.pdf

We could tent the house but the cost is in the thousands of dollars and the bigger the house, the bigger the bill. You also have to prep the house the same way you do for chemical treatment. You have to de-clutter and make things accessible to the heat treatment or vikane gas, whichever treatment you do is a lot of work, and there are a lot of things you have to remove from the house before treatment. Now I do understand that vikane is a guaranteed treatment but it's also the most expensive. Well, I hope I didn't just totally overwhelm you but I would rather tell you the truth and get the info out there than to be tight lipped.

Well, hubby and I just covered the guest bedroom closet with 6 mil plastic and put a Nuvan strip in there. We need to re-treat the guest room, hallway, hall bathroom and start working on the craft room that isn't really ready to craft in yet, lol. I hope by the time all is said and done this house will truly be organized and ready to be enjoyed.

I hope everyone has a great day, I have to get mine started on bugs again. Argh!

Had to come back, Oh it's Easter. I haven't been paying attention. Sorry Jesus, please forgive me for my negligence and my bad language lately. Happy Easter everybody.

• sannferris
    edited March 2016
    Good Morning, Happy Easter.

After much pampering and caring, the chicken has died. The weather was nice yesterday and she spent her last hours laying in the sun in the backyard. I had her secluded under the big tree earlier in the day, (the geese were picking on her again), but later in the day the other chickens were laying in the sun about 15 feet away, so I put her out with them. I had hoped that she'd die during the night and I could remove her before John got up but instead, she died in his arms about 4 pm. All the birds are aging and having problems, I don't know which is worse, John's moping around mumbling about how pitiful they look and wanting to do something for them (which I can not, they are old and I may sound hard-hearted, but I will not call the vet for a chicken or a duck) or mourning their deaths. Now, John will obsess over a duck with a bum leg and barely getting around the yard. This duck, Victor, is from a batch hatched in April of 2008, he's the only male duck we have left, so once he's gone, the duck eggs will not be fertile, so I don't have to worry about any new baby ducks.

Wow, Isabella, when Dan thinks about moving, he really gets on it...having the realtors coming over already. Hope the meeting went well and they have good news for you about the value of your home and really good news for you about where to move to. In the past, we have had friends that move often and friends who stay put for a long time. I don't which is better, I guess moving keeps things fairly clean and simple, no time to collect lots of junk. My parents lived in their house 65 years, there was so much junk collected over the years. John and I have lived here 23 years and we are surrounded by junk, plus the inventory of parts. Oh, for the days that we lived in the travel trailer and only had three vehicles.

I'm back, there was a break in the rain, so I went out to feed (it was raining hard when I got up and it's forecast to rain all day). Took my chance while I had it, but kicked up mud all over my pants leg. I'll post this now and go clean up and change. Hope to be back later, or else, tomorrow morning.

Happy Easter everyone.

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Good morning all, Happy Easter again! The Lord is Risen! :p<3

Anew, I apologize, I wasn't clear - We are definitely going to sell this house outright if we decide to move. We just weren't sure whether to buy something right away or rent for a while to see if prices go down so we could purchase a bit cheaper. The meeting with the realtors went pretty well. They think we should list for around $615,000 but we are thinking to start around $620,000 so we can come down if we need to. They also showed us a listing for a townhome for $429,000 that seems perfect but we need to get prequalified first so this will probably be sold before we are ready. The bummer is that we want to buy first then sell the house but they think with Dan out of work we may not qualify for a loan unless we sell this house first. They gave us the name and number of the gal they work with to get us prequalified ASAP so we will see but Dan was really upset that they don't think we can qualify without selling. Also, they said not to do anything at all to the house not even stain the cabinets. They gave us the name of a polish that they think will make the cabinets look just fine.

Sheryl, sorry about the chicken passing. I agree with you, I wouldn't have taken them to the vet either. Sounds like it was her time. Hope John gets past it soon.

Well, that's it for now, I'm off to church.
    Love you all!
  • anewstart22
    edited March 2016
    Isyvanek-Glad your just thinking of renting. I was actually just showing this listing to a friend of mine. You said before you might like going into a 55+ community. Wow, is this one gorgeous. I don't know what the monthly lot rent is but it's worth checking out if your interested in it.

century21.com/property/16603-bernardo-oaks-san-diego-ca-92128-REN023080939

This one looks like it's in the same park and it's bigger

century21.com/property/16647-bernardo-oaks-drive-san-diego-ca-92128-CBR24448907
  • anewstart22
    edited March 2016
    Good evening everyone, we re-treated all other rooms today, except the craft room. We decided to work on that a little at a time all this week when he gets home from work. I don't want him to work until two a.m and go to work without enough sleep. We are going the route of putting a fumigation strip in the room. We need to cover all air passages like all electrical switches/plugs and cover the a/c vent and make sure the baseboards are all sealed, if not we have to seal them. Then we will put a strip in there and cover the door the same way we have all of the closets. We can leave it like that as long as 4 months to make sure nothing lives in there, the strips are good for four months but it only takes 3 days to kill live bugs and all eggs have to hatch out. The blogs are saying when you have 55 days straight of no bites and no sightings you are bug free. So I got bit again while napping today and still can't start that countdown clock, but we are closer and closer to being at least to maintenance treatments.

I'll be going through some of the bags we have and putting things from those in there that can't be heat treated. We put 3 strips in the attic, we treated the laundry room, guest bedroom, hallway, bathroom and living room today. We also treated the furniture again. Hubby has agreed to let the garage have a strip in it during the week while he is working and he will open the garage on the weekend to work out there. That will take care of any bugs that might have found their way into the garage. So all week long treatments with the strip, and weekends he can air it out and work out there, then back to locking it up without opening it. That is a great compromise since any eggs will hatch out and still be killed during the week. The strips say you can be in the space being treated for 4 hours per day so airing out the garage will be good and he'll be safe working out there.

Tomorrow I will start working on the dining room makeshift pantry to get it ready for spraying. We can use the bedlam on that, it has a 14 day residual and is safe for the area, with the baseboards being treated using the stronger spray it should be getting the job done. Soon, I think in about two weeks we will be down to just retreating things and all prep work will have been completed. I see a light at the end of the tunnel and the bites I am getting are smaller and hurt less, which makes me believe it is the baby nymphs that are getting me. We should be able to reproduction at this rate.

I hope you all are having a really nice Easter with your families.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Good morning everyone.

I didn't do too much this weekend. I woke up early again, so I got the laundry out of the way early Saturday morning. Then went out for breakfast and had half a belgian waffle, one egg and one piece of bacon, then went grocery shopping. I was half way home when I realized the checker didn't give me my $20 change, so had to turn around and go back to the store to get it.

Later Saturday I ran my car through the car wash, got gas, and then stopped by the clothing store to get a couple pairs of pants and some sandals.

Yesterday I just stayed home, picked up the house, and did my weekly cooking. This week's pot-of-something is lentils.

After researching my options for lowering my data plan on my smart phone, Dad and I came to the conclusion that I should just leave it as is. My only option was to reduce down to 2 GB per month, and I don't want to go that low. I'll stay with 5GB per month.

A former supervisor and later coworker of mine will be retiring on April 22nd, so a large group of us (40 at last count) will be taking her out for Mexican food that day. Then later that day it will be cake, gifts, and punch back at the office. Someone else is coordinating the lunch and it's a bit pricey. $22 a head. That cost will include the tip, a buffet of chicken quesadillas, carne asadas, and beverages of choice.

Isabella, I hope you and Dan find what you are looking for. Just the thought of moving makes me all twitchy. Ha! One thing about it. You won't have to deal with "Mr. Difficult" anymore! Good idea getting a smart phone. 1 GB just wouldn't be enough for me, but I use mine to listen to the radio or my music when I'm at work. Still, I only average about 1.2 GB each month.

Sheryl, I'm sorry about your chicken, but at least she's at rest now. I hope John is not as upset today.

I hope you all had a nice Easter!

easter-eggs-092.gif
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Nice warm day. Our days have plenty of variety. Keeps things interesting. Had one day with blizzard in the NW, fire in the south and us in the middle with lots of wind. Ava ended up not having speech so drove over, learned the news and came home. Ralph came with me in the evening. The info on ear tagging was a good review and it's always nice to see 4-H people.

Friday was errands as usual. Bought my Easter candy - one guy looked in my cart and thought I was buying a lot but when I told him how many grandkids I had, he smiled and moved on. I actually cut back this year (I think so anyway). I was home by noon so work on things. Had supper ready at 6 so we could make it to the music/drama at church. Nice evening although afterwards we had a hunt for Paige - we searched the church and found her in the car - not like her at all. Found out that Alan's weren't going out west after all so guess the it was good that the smallest ham I could find was pretty big.

Saturday I deviled eggs, made a salad, made cream puff dessert, did the bags for all the kids, put money in the plastic eggs, etc. etc. Then in the evening we went to here the community choir do selections for Handal's Messiah. Very well done.

Sunday I got up and did a double-take when I looked out the window. We had snow on the ground - 3 inches. Trees were beautiful, roads were messy and it was all gone by mid-afternoon. A little after 8 I got a call from Lori to see if I could bring something to church for them to eat. She forgot to grab the granola bars she put out. They had to leave earlier than usual to get Thomas to the Youth Group gathering. I didn't have any granola bars but found a muffin mix on the shelf (with a date of 2010) so made it and took to them. SS went fine. Church service was good - great special music. And then it was home for dinner. I used paper plates and disposal glasses so we didn't have so many dishes to do. Because of the snow, I hid the eggs in the basement - did it first for the younger 4 and then for the older 4.

In the evening we went to special baptismal service. We rode in with another couple so got lots of visiting in.

Today was babysitting Maggie and doing stuff in the house as I could. Then I went to the periodonist - didn't have her deaden anything this time and it went just fine. Delivered the Easter bags to Derek's and then came home for the evening. Need to stay with eating what's in the fridge cause there were plenty of leftovers and the fridge is full - I also bought some friend chicken and potato salad on Friday. Give us a couple of days and it will be better.

Anew, glad you had some good visiting and eating with your friends. But bummer that you are still getting bites. I just can't imagine doing all you are having to do. You're making good progress on the kitchen island.

Sheryl, great that John went with you - worth changing your day a bit. Glad the check-up went well and the Mexican place was good - I agree on staying close to home but it was fun to try something new. Noocles and Co does have good dishes. My grandkids love their macaroni and cheese but Ralph thinks it's too much money for what you get. He'd rather have a hamburger but it was fun to try it out. So check it out sometime.

Marcie, yay on having your refund. We always have to pay since nothing gets deducted during the year. Our tax person mailed the stuff to us last week but I haven't look yet since I wait to mail it till closer to April 15. A 4 day weekend sounds good.
    I only removed the fitbit because I noticed and know about what I walk otherwise. Sometimes I don't pay much attention. Soybean meal goes into the hog feed.
    Makes since that the flavor is better when it cooks in. Smart to think through what's best to do with your phone. And it didn't take long for you to decide. Glad the computer and you are better friends now. Let us know when you get the printer (soon I hope).

Sheryl, hope John is doing better today - maybe it was good the chicken died in his arms. He knew when it was over. Naming the bedbugs - LOL

Isabella, hope you can get something for your dress and don't have to make a trip back. Have fun researching the phones. I'm debating about going with something different when my minutes run out. It's an android smart phone that if basically use it with wifi, I can pay just $10 a month. I know a few people who have it and they like it. It might be more phone than I know what to do with though.
    Glad your meeting about the house went well - this process is moving quickly - no wonder you are working so hard on the decluttering. My decluttering today was taking stack of egg cartons to the trunk to give to a friend. Hope the process for a loan goes better than the realtors think it will. Wherever you go, I hope you get good neighbors.
    Bridal shower - she didn't get everything off the list but there's still the wedding to go and they'll probably have more than they need.

Marcie, that will be a fancy retirement party - glad they do something special for them.

I see Call the Midwife is going to start back up April 3.

Well, if Isabella thought she rambled on too long, I for sure need to get off here. So nice to have a place where we can speak what's on our minds. Have a good Tuesday.
  • anewstart22
    edited March 2016
    Good afternoon everyone, I had a good sleep but still have bites. It's drizzling outside and it's a bit cooler than usual, I like it though. I have worked on going through things on the kitchen table that have been thrown there since all this stuff started, I can now see the top of it and am thankful for that. I'll be working on the dining room makeshift pantry and reorganizing and/or tossing what I don't want anymore.

We received the mattress liners yesterday and they will be on the mattress and box springs in both rooms this weekend when we take everything apart for an inspection. I need to sleep in the guest room and draw them out (be their bait) to find out if they are in that room or not. So, even though hubby doesn't have any problems with bug bites I'll let him be the bait in our room, and I will take the guest room. Get them at both places at once, heat treat sheets every night and start the process over again. I'll sleep there once the mattress and box spring liners are on the beds so I can get them coming and going.

On a good note, hubby has been taking brain breaks from all the bedbug involved stuff and is almost done with my kitchen island. He has the temporary top made, stained and now he's working on the polycrylic. Once that is done I will have it back in the kitchen with it's drawer in it and my 48" counter will be available for staging stuff.

Mygnsac-Glad you got your $20 returned and the retirement party sounds like it will be a lot of fun, it's nice of you all to do that for your co-worker.

Arobed53-Sounds like you had a fun, and very busy Easter Week, I'm sure the kids enjoyed it a lot.

Isyvanek-How did the dress consignment go for you?

Well, I am going to keep this short today, I hope you all have a great day!

• sannferris
    Good Morning, missed the last couple mornings, I hope you all had a great weekend. Sunday afternoon, I started on an email update for my cousins. I got in the habit of sending them updates while I was sick and telling them of the progress I was making. Now, with my doctor's appointments and scans so far apart, my frequent updates have become few and far between. I give them info on Mom too. I finally got it all written and sent off yesterday. It usually helps when I can come back here and browse back and see what I've commented on and refresh my memory.

Last Saturday, I received an email from my Mom's tax guy and my Dad's last SSA-1099 is missing, he asked if I would get a duplicate from Social Security. We all assume that it was mailed to Pasadena did not get forwarded to Mom's new address. I told Norma because she has POA, but when she inquired on-line, (got no where) and then in a phone call, was told it has to be done in person. She couldn't get off work so Monday, I went to the SSA to get the copy. Just as I was getting ready to go, John asked if he could go with me. I was delighted that he wanted to get out of the house, of course I said yes, but was a little disappointed that we would have to come directly home so that I could scan the copy of the 1099 into the computer and email it to the tax guy. But, I told John that he could just stay in the car while I quick send the email and then we could drive off again and go do something. The weather was perfect for a nice drive. Long story short...SSA would not give me the duplicate because Dad has a surviving spouse and so they will only release it to Mom. I told them she is in assisted living and tried to make it sound that she is incompetent, so they would give it to me, but no, they will mail it to her. So, another delay in Mom's taxes as we wait for another 1099 to arrive in the mail.
    Good news is that John and I had the rest of the day to play. We drove from downtown Vancouver out to Washougal (about 25 miles east) on the old Evergreen Highway. It was great, we enjoyed the view of the Columbia River from a different vantage point other than the quicker, busier Hwy 14. Stopped at Captain William Clark park and walked around and then stopped at The Puffin, a houseboat café right on the water. We really enjoyed the afternoon. Put 80 miles on the car.

Yesterday was great weather too, in fact, it's suppose to be gorgeous all the way through the weekend. We will get a lot done outside.

I have more to say, jotted down a couple notes from your previous comments, but John is up and I've got to go. More later.
  • anewstart22
    Sannferris-It sounds like you had a wonderful outing with John and I'm so glad he wanted to get out too. What a blessed day for you both.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning, another quick one...John was up early again and I'm leaving at 11 am to meet Carol for lunch and then, we will go together to visit a friend in a convalescent hospital, recovering from a broken hip. Fae is 80 and I know her from the Women's Bible Study group. When it was just lunch, John was going to go with me and Carol was going to get her husband to join us, but plans change, once John changed his mind, Larry did too. So, this turns out better, we get to go see Fae.

Talk to you tomorrow.
  • anewstart22
    Good afternoon everyone, I hope you enjoy your lunch and visit today Sannferris.

It's hot today at around 90 degrees, the humidity was 90% this morning at 6:00 am but it is down to 75% now at 2:44 pm. I got a good sleep, think I woke up with one bite and am thankful this nightmare is getting less and less disturbing. Other than clearing the table the other day and enjoying eating there now, I took some time off and gave hubby a few days off. He is still working extra hours and hasn't been getting home until 6:00 or 6:30 each night, and I'd rather he take a mental and physical break from all this stuff.

I'll start working on the makeshift pantry when I get off here. I need to pull things off the shelf, dust them and wash them with hot soapy water, spray the shelves, let it dry (10 minutes at most) and put things back. The books will have to be put into a bag with strips and sealed. I do look forward to changing the organization of the shelves since I've been wanting to do it for a long time anyway. I'd like to have a cookbook shelf on the wall by the 48" counter so this might be the time for that and it will bring my cookbooks to an easy level to use them.

I hope you are all having a great day today!

• anewstart22
    I'm bored out of my mind, lol. Can't sleep either, anyone out there?