Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning! (From last to first hello) LOL!!
    Just home from being with the kids. Had a good evening. I'm tired, but had to take advantage of opportunity to be first post of the day! See you 'for real' hopefully before noon!!! :)
    Later...
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,692 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Sunday! I think if I go back to Olee's Kitchen and get the Korean tacos as lettuce wraps, and JUST get the lettuce wraps, instead of the "meal" that comes with french fries, I'll be fine. The food was really delicious and I was thrilled to see that they had tofu options for J.

Yesterday, after judging, we went (late) to a pool party in Braselton. These friends have a LOT of pool parties in the summer, like every two weeks or so, and a lot of people show up. It's organized that they provide the meats, buns, condiments, napkins, paper towels, plasticware, and the guests donate some money toward that, and also perhaps provide some sides or desserts. Well, since we had orchid judging and got there late we did neither this time, but it's rare for us to arrive late. Usually it's early or not at all. This time it was late, but food was still out. So I did eat some, though J did not. The last time we went after orchid judging, nothing was left but cake. Needless to say, when arriving late like that they don't really expect us to be bringing a side as pretty much everyone has already eaten, and they don't really expect us to donate either as there might not be any food left anyway!

After a couple of hours at the party, we stopped by the Chateau Élan winery and I bought a couple of bottles that I had been eyeing on the internet. The third one I was interested in wasn't out for sale, but maybe next time.

Got a few dishes to do and then I'll ponder laundry. Not a LOT of laundry but we do have three extra towels from what we brought to the pool party, so that side is a bit bulky...I could wait until next week, but I do need to make sure the towels are at least laid out to dry properly.

So far I've had a little bit of lightly buttered Moroccan Olive Bread for breakfast. Heating some Italian sausage in the toaster oven and I'll have a bite of that. Then in a little while I guess I'll get this latest batch of fresh black eyed peas going in a slow cooker, and maybe prepare a couple ears of corn for fried corn. Then I just need to cut up some root vegetables and onion this evening for a roasted vegetable gratin to complete dinner.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I managed to walk 6K steps today, The weather is warmer than yesterday and I could feel heat from the sun too. I did work up a light sweat. We also had some light rain overnight, No watering needed today. OTOH That green strandy weed, AKA Grass or Lawn, around the house has turned green and is growing once again.

Tomorrow I may have to hit the Grocery Store, it depends on how the Bananas look when my Brother does his shopping today. If they are greenish then I'll let him pick them up as I have one more in the refrigerator for Tomorrow so I do not want ripe ones today.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Morning...Happy Saturday :)
    Why not?
    I've been up, just now finishing my breakfast. Obviously I did not wake hungry!
    Staying with the kids this evening is the only solid thing on my list today. Speaking of which, the cartoon about success with my list made me laugh, and I'm sending the 'unsafe trail' so both my boys! They'll love it. Thanks Roger!

My computerized 'daily inspiration' early this week said, "Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is Patience" So, all week I've been pacing myself with nature, you know, growth rate of trees, etc....:), and so far I haven't found Patience. Wonder where the heck she is??? LOL! Meaning, I've been a lazy slug this week. The downside of that? I'm enjoying it!

Ed your new little eatery takeout sounds wonderful! as in, All Too Handy. That was me and Wendy's years ago. It was right at home, on my way home, and my car went there way too much. (confession, I loved Wendy Burgers and their fries. I keep that in the past tense these days)

Couple mundane chores to do, and then I'm 'free'. Computer back up done, and Fitbit currently charging, so chores will have to wait til its charged...and then I'm off! Meanwhile will hit fb and look for Maxine and B. Breathed, to see what my current 'idols' (LOL!) are doing.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I thought they were neat, and the irony of the Home Depot Rental Truck in front of the Lowe's competition :) Sort of what You think of if You saw a McDonalds Delivery Truck in a Wendys or Burger King LOL.

I like some of the Wendys too, For example their baked Potatoes and Baconator and some of their Salads. OTOH I suspect that the Grilling on the Burger King where the grease can drop through the Grill when They cook them is better for me. I do Like the Whoppers too.

And Big Macs :)

I ate way to much there in the past. None since starting with NS BTW.

Cheers, and Have a Great Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Sunday! I think if I go back to Olee's Kitchen and get the Korean tacos as lettuce wraps, and JUST get the lettuce wraps, instead of the "meal" that comes with french fries, I'll be fine. The food was really delicious and I was thrilled to see that they had tofu options for J.

Yesterday, after judging, we went (late) to a pool party in Braselton. These friends have a LOT of pool parties in the summer, like every two weeks or so, and a lot of people show up. It's organized that they provide the meats, buns, condiments, napkins, paper towels, plasticware, and the guests donate some money toward that, and also perhaps provide some sides or desserts. Well, since we had orchid judging and got there late we did neither this time, but it's rare for us to arrive late. Usually it's early or not at all. This time it was late, but food was still out. So I did eat some, though J did not. The last time we went after orchid judging, nothing was left but cake. Needless to say, when arriving late like that they don't really expect us to be bringing a side as pretty much everyone has already eaten, and they don't really expect us to donate either as there might not be any food left anyway!

After a couple of hours at the party, we stopped by the Chateau Élan winery and I bought a couple of bottles that I had been eyeing on the internet. The third one I was interested in wasn't out for sale, but maybe next time.

Got a few dishes to do and then I'll ponder laundry. Not a LOT of laundry but we do have three extra towels from what we brought to the pool party, so that side is a bit bulky...I could wait until next week, but I do need to make sure the towels are at least laid out to dry properly.

So far I've had a little bit of lightly buttered Moroccan Olive Bread for breakfast. Heating some Italian sausage in the toaster oven and I'll have a bite of that. Then in a little while I guess I'll get this latest batch of fresh black eyed peas going in a slow cooker, and maybe prepare a couple ears of corn for fried corn. Then I just need to cut up some root vegetables and onion this evening for a roasted vegetable gratin to complete dinner.
    Hi Ed
    I have never has a lettuce wrap, I may have to try one, one of these days.

It sounds as if You had a busy day too.

The lightly buttered Moroccan Olive Bread sounds delicious too. I like a Good Garlic Bread, the big trick is finding good ones and for Home made finding a good bread is tough too. Most of the breads are bland, even from the Italian Delis in the area. I have not tried any of the Mexican Bakery breads for sale in the local Grocery Store except some that have mixed colors such as Pink and white in a small round bread. That was a little sweet in taste.

Good Luck Getting that third wine in the future
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi Again
    I forgot to mention :)
    We have had some sort of critter damaging things, mainly breaking the onions over and Yesterday One of the New Raspberry Plants got bent over too. I staked it back up, hopefull it comes out OK. We believe it is some sort of critter running through the the Growing Areas.

On the Good Side I have been getting some Ripe Raspberries from four of the plants despite it being their first Year, & or 8 yesterday :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Morning, good morning!
    I've been up for a little while, original cup of coffee is still warm in its mug if that's an indicator! :) Cats fed...I'm still thinking about it. I know what I'm going to eat...just not quite ready to go address the issue.
    Yea for the raspberries Roger! Last night after dinner I took the hoodlums to Publix, which is in the center of this weird shopping center, and told them they could each have one piece of fruit. Nate picked up a box of raspberries, Olivia a box of big fat blackberries, Gram's got herself a nice GA peach. I also picked up one slice of a delicious looking cheesecake instead of the suggestions from the peanut gallery wanting candy and such...when we got home berries were washed and eaten!, and they opted to each eat 2 of the cookies that Olivia had baked instead of the Cheesecake! So, I saw a sparkle in the adult eyes when I told them that there was a piece of cheesecake in the refrigerator.....LOL!!!! They too, are just big kids...love it. Not the crap food they eat, but hey........

Ed, pool parties and Chateau Élan!! Thats a good day! Glad they had at least some of the wines you were looking for! I don't even pretend to remember what it was, but my DIL had a particular wine she liked, but which was not sold in the state of GA, so any trips out of state required a wine sleuthing expedition. Until then I did not realize that the STATE of GA regulates what wines can be sold in GA. I still think that's weird. I'm trying to remember, I don't think you can mail order it into the state either...but that may be a false memory.

Roger, I hope you find what ever is running thru the garden. That's tough. Would almost be worth sacrificing a nights sleep or two to see what it is, so you can devise a method to prevent it happening. As for that 'That green strandy weed, AKA Grass or Lawn' guess you'll be cranking up the ole mower again! I should have cut mine yesterday, or even today. Can tell you its not gonna happen! It will be 80 + by the time I eat and dress, etc...Mañana she sang with a sly little smile!!! Very handy word.

Ok, time to face the kitchen. OH!!! Roger, thanks for pointing out the Home Depot truck at the Lowe's store...I totally failed to get that one. Duhhhh...

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    The Home Depot truck at Lowe's reminded me of a sort of informal party I went to once, at a Pizza Inn, if I remember right but it might have been a Pizza Hut, where one small group never DID get waited on in the confusion. I think there may have been TWO parties going on at the same time. The small group at one table, part of the party I was attending, ordered Domino's, delivered, to the Pizza Inn/Hut...and when it arrived they were asked to leave, which I expect they were actually quite happy to do, their point being VERY PUBLICLY made.
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Although they had to leave, I'm betting it got somebody's attention!
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Morning, good morning!
    I've been up for a little while, original cup of coffee is still warm in its mug if that's an indicator! :) Cats fed...I'm still thinking about it. I know what I'm going to eat...just not quite ready to go address the issue.
    Yea for the raspberries Roger! Last night after dinner I took the hoodlums to Publix, which is in the center of this weird shopping center, and told them they could each have one piece of fruit. Nate picked up a box of raspberries, Olivia a box of big fat blackberries, Gram's got herself a nice GA peach. I also picked up one slice of a delicious looking cheesecake instead of the suggestions from the peanut gallery wanting candy and such...when we got home berries were washed and eaten!, and they opted to each eat 2 of the cookies that Olivia had baked instead of the Cheesecake! So, I saw a sparkle in the adult eyes when I told them that there was a piece of cheesecake in the refrigerator.....LOL!!!! They too, are just big kids...love it. Not the crap food they eat, but hey........

Ed, pool parties and Chateau Élan!! Thats a good day! Glad they had at least some of the wines you were looking for! I don't even pretend to remember what it was, but my DIL had a particular wine she liked, but which was not sold in the state of GA, so any trips out of state required a wine sleuthing expedition. Until then I did not realize that the STATE of GA regulates what wines can be sold in GA. I still think that's weird. I'm trying to remember, I don't think you can mail order it into the state either...but that may be a false memory.

Roger, I hope you find what ever is running thru the garden. That's tough. Would almost be worth sacrificing a nights sleep or two to see what it is, so you can devise a method to prevent it happening. As for that 'That green strandy weed, AKA Grass or Lawn' guess you'll be cranking up the ole mower again! I should have cut mine yesterday, or even today. Can tell you its not gonna happen! It will be 80 + by the time I eat and dress, etc...Mañana she sang with a sly little smile!!! Very handy word.

Ok, time to face the kitchen. OH!!! Roger, thanks for pointing out the Home Depot truck at the Lowe's store...I totally failed to get that one. Duhhhh...

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    I was out in the back Yard this morning and repointed the Trail Cam, It uses a motion sensor and hopefully it will work. I have a Suspicion it may be a Big Cat doing it. We have seen it coming and going through the yard more than once. Tonight I was looking out the Living Room window and saw it heading up the driveway so I went to the back of the house and missed seeing exactly where it went through into the back of the yard. I was in time to see it head behind the shed and then come out again and through the fence into the neighbors yard.

Manana is a Good Way to approach things on an occasional basis :)

FWIW the last Cheesecake I had was some my Brother made. I should mention I did overeat and had to be strict with what I ate for several days following that.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
    The Home Depot truck at Lowe's reminded me of a sort of informal party I went to once, at a Pizza Inn, if I remember right but it might have been a Pizza Hut, where one small group never DID get waited on in the confusion. I think there may have been TWO parties going on at the same time. The small group at one table, part of the party I was attending, ordered Domino's, delivered, to the Pizza Inn/Hut...and when it arrived they were asked to leave, which I expect they were actually quite happy to do, their point being VERY PUBLICLY made.

Hi Ed
    I love that story!

In the past I have just left businesses when they seemed to be overlooking me. I have also left eateries when the service was too slow. And You can be sure I told them why when they asked was everything OK on the way out.

I do not know how true this is but I have heard that some restaurants hurry the food along when busy and when they are slow they slow down the food so that the place does not look to empty.

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Ok. Bedtime for Bonzo. And me too. And Lilo...

Dinner was great! Sliced avocado with smoke seasoning, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, spicy, seasoned black beans (vegan), creamy fried corn (vegetarian - there was milk in them), spicy gratin of root vegetables (vegetarian - cheese), bell peppers, onions, the last of the ramps. And finished off with hot water cornbread, fried, vegan. I ate too much of it, but it sure was good. About half the veggies left, and one good (or two small) servings of the black eyed peas. While the fried cornbread wasn't his mother's fried cornbread, J did like it and ate three small pieces. I ate two and that was all that I made. A very small batch.

G'night all.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Supposed to get to 91 today with 80% chance of rain.

Off to the rat mines!

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I stopped at the Grocery Store while walking 5K steps + One Shiny Dime (10 Cents). I did Pick up 5 bananas as I was able to find some that were greenish $0.49 a pound, 5 Cameo Apples $0.99 a pound, and 2 Tangerines at $0.40 each. The weather is good and was at 66 degrees out the door. It is warming up already due to the cloudless sky, Tomorrow is forecast to be in the high 60s overnight and then for several days each overnight is warmer in the 70s with a forecast overnight low of 75 degrees later this week :(

Nothing planned for today unless I have a burst of energy and decide to vacuum or do laundry, OTOH there is always Manana :)

Have a Great Upcoming Week
    Roger
    Ok. Bedtime for Bonzo. And me too. And Lilo...

Dinner was great! Sliced avocado with smoke seasoning, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, spicy, seasoned black beans (vegan), creamy fried corn (vegetarian - there was milk in them), spicy gratin of root vegetables (vegetarian - cheese), bell peppers, onions, the last of the ramps. And finished off with hot water cornbread, fried, vegan. I ate too much of it, but it sure was good. About half the veggies left, and one good (or two small) servings of the black eyed peas. While the fried cornbread wasn't his mother's fried cornbread, J did like it and ate three small pieces. I ate two and that was all that I made. A very small batch.

G'night all.
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Supposed to get to 91 today with 80% chance of rain.
    Hi Ed
    That would be the old Ronald Reagan movie :)

Nothing wrong with small batches, that way You know it is fresh. It sounds like a interesting dinner too.

That is warmer and wetter sounding than I like BTW.

Stay Cool and Dry at work
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Sorry to be late to the party! I've been busy doing laundry, first load already dried, folded and mostly put away...
    Cats and I have eaten, I've had my coffee, and my hip is loosening up, its been quite painful in the mornings...have Chiro appointment on Thursday. :)
    Need to water plants that are in pots this morning. I saw 'droopy' basil leaves when I looked outside.

Ed...your computer to Mother Nature's tears...I so hope we do get rain today. But, nowhere that I looked did I see 80% chance for rain. More like 20-30% chance...whatever, I'll be happy with any that falls below flooding stages! :)
    Your dinner last night sounded pretty danged good...I still haven't tried to make the fried water cornbread, but your recipe is on my desktop, so its not 'forgotten'. Just seriously trying to ditch 10 pounds...so meals right now are pretty (very) simple. I'm also trying to eat up some of the food in my overloaded freezer. The refrigerator is pretty barren, save all the little bottles of this and that sauce and spice mixes. It is a bit scary to me to open and not find the Whole Foods 'look'... greens and reds and oranges and yellows stuffed on all the shelves. :) LOL!!! As the song goes, 'I will survive'..:)

Roger I was really surprised at my grands and their very wise choices of fruit Saturday night...Jack assured me that while Nate's picky as heck with other veggies and meats, he loves his fruits. This morning I rec'd a pix of him with a big bowl of apple chunks, strawberries, blueberries, etc plain. Makes his Grammie proud. Like us, he loves his fruits. Olivia too!

I need to move....sitting has become a habit over here. Not good at all!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Sorry to be late to the party! I've been busy doing laundry, first load already dried, folded and mostly put away...
    Cats and I have eaten, I've had my coffee, and my hip is loosening up, its been quite painful in the mornings...have Chiro appointment on Thursday. :)
    Need to water plants that are in pots this morning. I saw 'droopy' basil leaves when I looked outside.

Ed...your computer to Mother Nature's tears...I so hope we do get rain today. But, nowhere that I looked did I see 80% chance for rain. More like 20-30% chance...whatever, I'll be happy with any that falls below flooding stages! :)
    Your dinner last night sounded pretty danged good...I still haven't tried to make the fried water cornbread, but your recipe is on my desktop, so its not 'forgotten'. Just seriously trying to ditch 10 pounds...so meals right now are pretty (very) simple. I'm also trying to eat up some of the food in my overloaded freezer. The refrigerator is pretty barren, save all the little bottles of this and that sauce and spice mixes. It is a bit scary to me to open and not find the Whole Foods 'look'... greens and reds and oranges and yellows stuffed on all the shelves. :) LOL!!! As the song goes, 'I will survive'..:)

Roger I was really surprised at my grands and their very wise choices of fruit Saturday night...Jack assured me that while Nate's picky as heck with other veggies and meats, he loves his fruits. This morning I rec'd a pix of him with a big bowl of apple chunks, strawberries, blueberries, etc plain. Makes his Grammie proud. Like us, he loves his fruits. Olivia too!

I need to move....sitting has become a habit over here. Not good at all!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    There is no early or late once You have retired IMO :)

That is so great that You have Grandkids that make wise eating choices. One of our Sunflower plants is all droopy looking and I am not sure why, The other two in that row are fine :)

You are not alone with a overloaded freezer. I had some items left when my latest NS order arrived, I will be pushing back the next delivery as I still have lots of Shelf stable foods that they refer to as ready to go foods from the previous delivery. That is partially my fault as I had and did order a lot of extra foods A La Carte. Oh Well I will get that inventory back under control. Some of the older NS baked goods are in the Basement freezer. I had a Muffin out of there that had a use by date back in April 2015 that was still nice and fresh as a result of being thrown into the freezer.

Although NS does not recommend doing so I have frozen the Dinner Shelf Stable Entrees in the past and they were fine too. I did pull them out of the freezer that morning I planned to use them to slowly defrost just in case that had popped the seal. I am not super happy with the way the are repackaging more and more of those dinners in pouches. OTOH if that helps them hold prices down....

As You may have noticed I also keep a stock of Fruits and Lettuce in the refrigerator as well as Yogurts and the milk I use on my cereal once I plan to use it. When I am ready to eat cereal I pull a quart off of the shelf a day or two ahead and put in the refrigerator to chill and I leave it there once it is opened as the 11 months + / - shelf life is not longer in effect once I open it.

Did I use this one before?
    9iERyK.jpg

iplYQE.jpg

I do not think I will obey that sign :)RpF2j9.jpg

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Off to the salt mines. Gonna be another hot one.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Wheee! Good Morning!
    Hey Roger I do understand no 'late/early' for retiree's...I just meant I was late getting to this chat! Early Risers...hard to say that after lunch! LOL!! (yes, I understand we post any time)

You did show the trick on the poor Vegan the other day...along with the Home Depot truck at Lowe's! I'd seen the gators along side the road somewhere before, but the luxury home bought with lottery money is new to me....and got quite a laugh! :)

For all my 'eating from the freezer' its still 'full'...so I'm thinking a couple fresh things like salad stuff...and then get myself out of the grocery, and back into the freezer. And after that? I may have some 'extra' garbage for pickup. And with that thought in mind, in a very short while I am getting off this chair, and cleaning (wiping down) my refrigerator. I have a couple 'containers'...see-thru bins to put a lot of those 'little jars of' into to help organize them, I hope. My refrigerator is emptier than I think I've ever seen it! :) Makes me happy!

Ed...I so hope you got rain. I'd hate to think that all that racket from the skies was a total waste. I didn't get any thing. Driveway dry as old bone. Maybe this afternoon. Or else its watering time. My water bill was almost as high as my electric bill this month! And the new grass died anyhow. I knew it would...you just can't grow fescue in shade or spring planted grass thru the summer. Actually no grass grows well in shade, no matter WHAT the packages say. When my neighbors sodded their yard with Bermuda (which I hate) everybody laughed and said it would take over my yard as well...no, no, and nope! I knew it wouldn't grow in my shade yard...and it didn't! :)
    33rd day this year of 90 or 90+ temps. Summer in GA in full force. As long as we don't get a stretch over 99 degrees I'll be happy.

You're right about opening the milk and using it within 7 days....pref. less. Roger. What I did not know until several months back, was that the dates we see on packages are pretty meaningless for things OTHER than meat and dairy. The dates are not even required. And what is printed is determined by the food mfg, so there are no real regulations for those dates. Not reassuring at all! :)

Roger, I think part of why my grands are so attuned to eating well has to do with Olivia's diabetes. She was 3.5 y.o. when diagnosed, and so she's grown up with 'nutrition' in mind. She made me a poster when she was in first grade, maybe kindergarten, that still hangs on my refrigerator...its a 12 blocked page with pictures of the fruits and veggies she drew, and her phonetic spelling of the object! Cute as heck! It did include one non-food...Water! :)
    That said, they both have a sweet tooth, and chicken nuggets and hamburgers are high on their list along with pizza. But they're kids. Hopefully the will retain the love of veggies and fruit into adulthood, and learn to regulate the fat and sugar, etc as well.

Ok, breakfast and an empty refrigerator are calling my name, and now that the-sun's been up for nearly an hour the cats are waiting at the back door :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I managed to walk 6100 steps and 11 cents. It is 2 degrees amd 68 degrees warmer than yesterday and slightly more humid, However it was still OK at 6:20 when I got out the door. The rest of the week is trending warmer into the 70s for a overnight low and Humid according to the weather forecasts :(
    I predict a case of terminal sweat for the warmest most humid day :)

I did have to detour off the sidewalks into the road a couple of times due to lawn sprinklers, Why they are watering the Sidewalk is unknown, it won't grow or heal its cracks.

I had part of the Banana before my walk and the rest with a NS Chocolate Protein shake on my return and I am still trying to decide between the NS Waffles and the NS French Toast for the remainder of my Breakfast, Decisions, Decisions! Hopefully I will not repeat yesterday and forget to have the rest of my Breakfast. I also forgot my Vitamins yesterday so I sat down and had them with my Shake this morning.

Have a Really Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Off to the salt mines. Gonna be another hot one.
    Hi Ed
    I hate too hot weather. I need to go to CostCo in the next week or so and Despite putting the frozen into a Box and covering it with a blanket on the really hot days the veges still tend to stick together :(

Stay Cool
    Roger
    Wheee! Good Morning!
    Hey Roger I do understand no 'late/early' for retiree's...I just meant I was late getting to this chat! Early Risers...hard to say that after lunch! LOL!! (yes, I understand we post any time)

You did show the trick on the poor Vegan the other day...along with the Home Depot truck at Lowe's! I'd seen the gators along side the road somewhere before, but the luxury home bought with lottery money is new to me....and got quite a laugh! :)

For all my 'eating from the freezer' its still 'full'...so I'm thinking a couple fresh things like salad stuff...and then get myself out of the grocery, and back into the freezer. And after that? I may have some 'extra' garbage for pickup. And with that thought in mind, in a very short while I am getting off this chair, and cleaning (wiping down) my refrigerator. I have a couple 'containers'...see-thru bins to put a lot of those 'little jars of' into to help organize them, I hope. My refrigerator is emptier than I think I've ever seen it! :) Makes me happy!

Ed...I so hope you got rain. I'd hate to think that all that racket from the skies was a total waste. I didn't get any thing. Driveway dry as old bone. Maybe this afternoon. Or else its watering time. My water bill was almost as high as my electric bill this month! And the new grass died anyhow. I knew it would...you just can't grow fescue in shade or spring planted grass thru the summer. Actually no grass grows well in shade, no matter WHAT the packages say. When my neighbors sodded their yard with Bermuda (which I hate) everybody laughed and said it would take over my yard as well...no, no, and nope! I knew it wouldn't grow in my shade yard...and it didn't! :)
    33rd day this year of 90 or 90+ temps. Summer in GA in full force. As long as we don't get a stretch over 99 degrees I'll be happy.

You're right about opening the milk and using it within 7 days....pref. less. Roger. What I did not know until several months back, was that the dates we see on packages are pretty meaningless for things OTHER than meat and dairy. The dates are not even required. And what is printed is determined by the food mfg, so there are no real regulations for those dates. Not reassuring at all! :)

Roger, I think part of why my grands are so attuned to eating well has to do with Olivia's diabetes. She was 3.5 y.o. when diagnosed, and so she's grown up with 'nutrition' in mind. She made me a poster when she was in first grade, maybe kindergarten, that still hangs on my refrigerator...its a 12 blocked page with pictures of the fruits and veggies she drew, and her phonetic spelling of the object! Cute as heck! It did include one non-food...Water! :)
    That said, they both have a sweet tooth, and chicken nuggets and hamburgers are high on their list along with pizza. But they're kids. Hopefully the will retain the love of veggies and fruit into adulthood, and learn to regulate the fat and sugar, etc as well.

Ok, breakfast and an empty refrigerator are calling my name, and now that the-sun's been up for nearly an hour the cats are waiting at the back door :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    TBH I could not even afford that luxury home on my Powerball winnings :(
    I have a habit with foods. If I have not eaten it and it is just sitting there I pass it to my brother if frozen or donate it if no refrigeration required. I just assume if I have had it several months and it is untouched it will remain that way.

Our last water bill was more than double what the winter months bill is from only watering the Garden and that is using drip hoses too. A neighbor was paying over $100 a month for water last year watering the lawn daily.

I did know that regarding dates, OTOH I figure on a empirical basis that they have tested and know it will not go bad by the date the put on the food when handled properly considering how litigious people are these days.

Your comment about water being a non food reminded me of this.
    "A 1983 April Fools' Day edition of the Durand Express, a weekly newspaper in Durand, Michigan, reported that "dihydrogen oxide" had been found in the city's water pipes, and warned that it was fatal if inhaled, and could produce blistering vapors.
    From Here: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4534017/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/local-officials-nearly-fall-ho-hoax/
    ALISO VIEJO, Calif. — City officials were so concerned about the potentially dangerous properties of dihydrogen monoxide that they considered banning foam cups after they learned the chemical was used in their production.

Then they learned, to their chagrin, that dihydrogen monoxide — H2O for short — is the scientific term for water.

"It's embarrassing," said City Manager David J. Norman. "We had a paralegal who did bad research."

The paralegal apparently fell victim to one of the many official looking Web sites that have been put up by pranksters to describe dihydrogen monoxide as "an odorless, tasteless chemical" that can be deadly if accidentally inhaled.

As a result, the City Council of this Orange County suburb had been scheduled to vote next week on a proposed law that would have banned the use of foam containers at city-sponsored events. Among the reasons given for the ban were that they were made with a substance that could "threaten human health and safety."

Let us not forget that water is also sugar free, Gluten free and 0 calories :)

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes Roger, its SF, GF, and 0 calories...but does it have fiber???? I remember the water thing from a few years back...
    LOL! I had to do that! Hope your day is going well!
    Later...