Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi Ed and Valerie
    I managed to blow away a longish reply to Your posts :(
    I hate it when I do that.

The Potato Casserole sounds Good too.

I have a Slow cooker I suspect I wasted my money on, Later after using it for a while I thought to myself Dummy! You have a Rice Cooker that would probably have worked just fine as it has a cook heat setting and a lower hold Temperature that it goes to automatically.

Being Lazy I just use the Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce that I pick up for $1 a bottle when it is on sale at the Local Acme.

I ended up losing much of the day yesterday to that timesink called the Internet too :)

I bought some Roman coins cheap last year, next I think I would like to get a Spanish Real.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_real

I have run across many websites that have recipes to make Your own Brand name food items and sauces.

Have a Great Holiday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    This is the Recipe My Brother prefers FWIW
    This is my prefered recipe
    Ingredients
    * 2 cups navy beans
    * 1/2 pound bacon *
    * 1 onion, finely diced
    * 3 tablespoons molasses
    * 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    * 1/2 cup ketchup
    * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    * 1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions
    1. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1 to 2 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.
    2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
    3. Arrange the beans in a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of dish, and layering them with bacon and onion.
    4. In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
    5. Bake for 3 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.

* bacon can be reduced if desired, just use proper old fashioned smoked bacon, have it sliced 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick, easier to get a nice even dice.

*if you don't have a beanpot, use a tall ovenproof vessel with a cover.
    And a Simpler Alternate
    my alternate recipe, I like the other one more

Boston Baked Beans
    basic recipe:
    this is what boston baked beans are supposed to taste like:

small white beans are best IMO- you can use navy beans or pea beans
    2 cups- essentially a pound - pick through for stones and dirt clods- rinse

put in stainless steel saucepan and cover with water-+ 2 inches
    soak overnight
    change water, add 1/2 tsp baking soda and bring to boil- simmer ten minutes or so
    pick a few of them up with a spoon- they are ready if the skins split when you blow on them

drain- save the water

have ready:
    1/2 pound salt pork, or better yet double smoked slab bacon- 1/4" dice
    one medium onion- chopped

to one cup of the bean water add:
    3 tablespoons molasses
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    sub in some maple syrup if you want-reduce other sugars accordingly
    at least 1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 tsp salt
    at least one teaspoon black pepper

if you don't have a beanpot, use a tall ovenproof vessel with a cover.

start with the beans-put one third in the bottom, followed by 1/3 of the onion, then 1/3 of the salt pork/bacon
    end with bacon on top
    pour bean water/ingredients on top- add bean water if needed to cover.

cook covered in 300 degree oven for 4 hours
    don't stir more than once of twice
    add bean water as needed so they don't dry out, but don't drown them,
    after 4 hours, turn the oven off and leave them alone until oven cools

serve for dinner on saturday with hot dogs,
    on sunday morning, serve them fried with fried apples and ham and eggs,
    eat them cold in a sandwich during the week

One more to post for a really simple Beer Bread
  • RogerToo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Beer Bread Recipe, Tasty too
    Easy Beer Bread Recipe
    This recipe should only take 10 minutes to prepare. The longest part is greasing the bread pan. The beer you use will determine how much the bread will rise and the density of the bread. I experimented with 10 different beers over the holidays and i list them below in the order i thought made the best bread. Everyone loved these breads.

1. Youngs double chocolate stout
    2. Guiness stout
    3. Sam adams chocolate bock
    4. Dunkelweiss - Dark Wheat Beer
    5. Sam adams old fezziwig ale
    6. Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial stoudt
    7. Ommegang - Hennepin Farmhouse Saison
    8. Magic Hat - Circus Boy THE Hefeweizen
    9. Anchor Steam Christmas Ale
    10. Sam Adams Winter Ale

Preheat oven to 375
    3 Cups Self Rising Flour
    1/2 Cup Sugar
    12oz Beer None of that light crap.
    Mix Sugar and flour in a large bowl, add beer. Mix with a wooden spoon until nice and sticky. Grease (butter) bread pan. pour in batter and use back of spoon to smooth out batter. Bake for 40-50 minutes or till a butter knife inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.

Note
    I used Becks dark beer, comes out good

BTW for a lighter bread You could add some Baking Powder :)
    Enjoy
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,674 Member
    Options
    Curiously enough, the barbecue sauce I made this time around was a sweet honey barbecue sauce too. I usually make a brown sugar barbecue sauce, but on the spur of the moment decided on honey this time. And my middle name is RAYmond and J's middle name is RAY so I think we got the sweet baby Ray covered there. ;)

So...we can make the baked beans and the beer bread and have a baked bean beer bread sandwich for a meal? That sounds good, actually.

J took some of my (well, his Grandmother's recipe, but I made it) potato salad to work once and after the party sent some home with an East Indian friend. Her kids loved it and took some to lunch the next day as potato salad sandwiches, and the other kids thought that was hilarious. I thought the reaction from the other kids was hilarious.

It may have gone out of style in these "modern" times, but I can recall when sandwiches made with lunchmeat and potato salad (both in the same sandwich) were a very popular item in the south but I guess I'm an old fogey who remembers what was and isn't hip with what IS, or something, but I saw nothing wrong with potato salad sandwiches at all.

Anyway, nap time. I'm sure Lilo is ready. But then she usually is...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Dinner tonight was a sliced avocado followed by leftover ribs, sauce, beans and a small serving of the potato casserole. There is a pretty much identical plate of the ribs, sauce, beans and potato casserole in the fridge for another meal. It really didn't look like all that much food, but I feel stuffed. Maybe the avocado and beans were really filling or something...a few sips of Syrah left and I'm done. No watermelon tonight. Maybe tomorrow lunch. J had an avocado too (it was time to eat them) and a veggie cheeseburger with potato wedges.

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! High today is predicted to be 92, with 80% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Maybe we'll actually pick up a little rain, which would be nice.

Went to bed last night to the accompaniment of many distant booms. Sounded almost like a thunderstorm. Too bad it wasn't.

Off to the salt races!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    The weather has been poor, It Rained In the Evening, then the rain stopped for most people and they saw the Fireworks and then the rain moved back in. It was 71 degrees when I got up and out the door and feels humid too. I got some walking in 4100 steps + 1 Cent.

I am finalizing my order and I see a New Menu Item in the Shelf Stable Snacks :)
    Stuffed Chocolate Pie
    hWQLgd.jpg
    Soft pastry crust outside, creamy chocolatey filing inside—it's a truly decadent handheld snack with no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners. Warm it up in the oven for a gooey sweet treat!

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Today is supposed to be the first day of a three day heat wave with the the following day only :) hitting 89 degrees.
    Curiously enough, the barbecue sauce I made this time around was a sweet honey barbecue sauce too. I usually make a brown sugar barbecue sauce, but on the spur of the moment decided on honey this time. And my middle name is RAYmond and J's middle name is RAY so I think we got the sweet baby Ray covered there. ;)

So...we can make the baked beans and the beer bread and have a baked bean beer bread sandwich for a meal? That sounds good, actually.

J took some of my (well, his Grandmother's recipe, but I made it) potato salad to work once and after the party sent some home with an East Indian friend. Her kids loved it and took some to lunch the next day as potato salad sandwiches, and the other kids thought that was hilarious. I thought the reaction from the other kids was hilarious.

It may have gone out of style in these "modern" times, but I can recall when sandwiches made with lunchmeat and potato salad (both in the same sandwich) were a very popular item in the south but I guess I'm an old fogey who remembers what was and isn't hip with what IS, or something, but I saw nothing wrong with potato salad sandwiches at all.

Anyway, nap time. I'm sure Lilo is ready. But then she usually is...

Hi Ed
    That Sandwich actually sounds good to me :) I have been known to make a Potato Sandwich on buttered bread in the past so.....
    Dinner tonight was a sliced avocado followed by leftover ribs, sauce, beans and a small serving of the potato casserole. There is a pretty much identical plate of the ribs, sauce, beans and potato casserole in the fridge for another meal. It really didn't look like all that much food, but I feel stuffed. Maybe the avocado and beans were really filling or something...a few sips of Syrah left and I'm done. No watermelon tonight. Maybe tomorrow lunch. J had an avocado too (it was time to eat them) and a veggie cheeseburger with potato wedges.
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! High today is predicted to be 92, with 80% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Maybe we'll actually pick up a little rain, which would be nice.

Went to bed last night to the accompaniment of many distant booms. Sounded almost like a thunderstorm. Too bad it wasn't.

I heard a lot more Booms Sunday night compared to Monday Night, I'm not sure why :)

We had our rain overnight, no watering needed now.
    Temps predicted to be 92 degrees here, I thought I had asked You to keep those temperatures in Your area :)

Have a Great Day and Stay Dry.
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Tuesday July 5th!
    Had a great time with family yesterday...Jack and I grilled a pile of veggies, part of which was a big eggplant, which in a bit will become a great dish of babaganoush! I can hardly wait! The kids, Jack included, enjoyed setting off fireworks. I came home about 11:30 and saw beautiful big bursts of stars, sparkles, etc. all along the way. I think GA had a good time with fireworks. Didn't watch the morning news..seems I was asleep, but I'm hoping that everyone was safe, and no trips to the ER, so that they will continue to allow fireworks in GA.

Today, ..... um....well make my smokey eggplant dip, and...well, whatever comes along! Probably will be indoors, as its already 80 degrees outside! Seems I missed 'morning'!

You all really went to town with the recipe's and foodie talking yesterday. I skimmed, and will go back and read all the great bean and other recipes over breakfast! Right now I'm hungry for breakfast.

Roger I am so glad you got your rain overnight, and like Ed I'm hoping to see some wet happening in my yard sometime today also. We are very dry. June came and went, and left us 5 inches short in the rainfall department. Not good.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Valerie
    When I drove for a living I often worked Holidays and let the ones with kids enjoy the day off. That is the same reason I took vacations in the Winter, Better pricing, less crowded and leave the ones with family enjoy the summer with their kids. Once they get old enough that all seems to go away so grab it while You can.

I used to see Fireworks off the roads as I was returning from afternoon runs such as a delivery in the West Point area.

I really hate the Nanny state attitude towards Fireworks here in NJ. One person seems to be able to spoil it for everybody !

Enjoy Your Eggplant, My Brother breads his in Italian Breadcrumbs and fries it most of the time. Then he figures the Olive oil in the skillet cancels out the Breadcrumbs :)

Have a Good Week
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi
    The weather has been poor, It Rained In the Evening, then the rain stopped for most people and they saw the Fireworks and then the rain moved back in. It was 71 degrees when I got up and out the door and feels humid too. I got some walking in 4100 steps + 1 Cent.

I am finalizing my order and I see a New Menu Item in the Shelf Stable Snacks :)
    Stuffed Chocolate Pie
    hWQLgd.jpg
    Soft pastry crust outside, creamy chocolatey filing inside—it's a truly decadent handheld snack with no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners. Warm it up in the oven for a gooey sweet treat!

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger

Oh my, that does look great! I may have to order a couple just to see what they taste like. Haven't ordered anything from NS in ages.

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Supposed to get only to 88 today, with 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms. We didn't get a whole lot yesterday, but did get SOME so that's good.

I've had my bowl of bran flakes with blueberries, so off to the rat mines!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Warm weather has set in, I saw a low of 75 degrees overnight and the forecast is for 3 or 4 days of 90 and higher thus we will be having a heat wave.

I have a busy day today so I will be brief.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
    RogerToo wrote: »
    Hi

Stuffed Chocolate Pie
    hWQLgd.jpg

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger

Oh my, that does look great! I may have to order a couple just to see what they taste like. Haven't ordered anything from NS in ages.

Hi Ed
    The biggest problem with NS is the shipping if You are not on their Autopay plan, they do have subscription plans where You pay a fee and get free shipping, To me that is a shell game and You end up paying the shipping in one form or another.
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Supposed to get only to 88 today, with 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms. We didn't get a whole lot yesterday, but did get SOME so that's good.
    Lucky You, Our temperature is supposed be 94 later on today. When You need water every little bit helps.

Have a Good Day at Work
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Good Wednesday Morning!
    Having gone to the grocery Sunday I've looked, and I really do not need anything new in my cabinets or refrigerator, save maybe 2 pieces of fruit. I will pick those up 'when needed'...not today. So, shopping day just became a 'semi-work' day at home!! (not sure thats a good thing or not) LOL!!
    Cats and I have been fed, coffee is now pretty much yuck room temp, so time to get moving!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Yay! We got some rain! I don't have a rain gauge out there, but D said it poured for a while. Quite a bit of that will have just run off, but at least some of it will have soaked in.

Boo! Hiss! It waited to rain until JUST TIME FOR ME TO LEAVE THE FUEL KIOSK. But I won't melt if I get wet and we did need the rain so I'll let that slide THIS TIME.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Wowza!!!
    over a quarter inch rain....in less than 10 minutes! Talk about a storm! Wind, rain, trees doing St. Vitus dance. Those big maples were going every which way. Today they scared me. I had visions of big limbs coming down. Fortunately that did not happen! It's still dark outside, but the wind and rain are over????
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Too late for wise eating today, At a Family Function we had a choice of Baked Salmon, Chicken Marsala or Veal Franciase. I Choose the chicken as I am not a fan of seafood strangely enough perhaps, they served it with Ziti, a Oil and Vinegar dressed Salad, Broccoli, Rice, Carrots and Green Beans. Lucky me they ran out of the carrots and Beans :(

Cheers
    Roger
    Yay! We got some rain! I don't have a rain gauge out there, but D said it poured for a while. Quite a bit of that will have just run off, but at least some of it will have soaked in.

Boo! Hiss! It waited to rain until JUST TIME FOR ME TO LEAVE THE FUEL KIOSK. But I won't melt if I get wet and we did need the rain so I'll let that slide THIS TIME.

Hi Ed
    Are You sure You won't melt? I do know I hate getting wet when walking.

OTOH as You say if You need the rain. It is hot out here today. High forecast to be 94 degrees in Central NJ which is actually above average for us. So of Course for the Family Function we ended up standing around outside waiting to form up and move.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
    Good Wednesday Morning!
    Having gone to the grocery Sunday I've looked, and I really do not need anything new in my cabinets or refrigerator, save maybe 2 pieces of fruit. I will pick those up 'when needed'...not today. So, shopping day just became a 'semi-work' day at home!! (not sure thats a good thing or not) LOL!!
    Cats and I have been fed, coffee is now pretty much yuck room temp, so time to get moving!

Later...
    Wowza!!!
    over a quarter inch rain....in less than 10 minutes! Talk about a storm! Wind, rain, trees doing St. Vitus dance. Those big maples were going every which way. Today they scared me. I had visions of big limbs coming down. Fortunately that did not happen! It's still dark outside, but the wind and rain are over????

Hi Valerie
    I checked my Refrigerator too, I have to pick up Bananas tomorrow. OTOH I have tow heads of lettuce, 1.5 heads after tonight :)
    I also have Three Apples and Two Oranges and a Tangerine left so three days of those and Lettuce. If I pick up four days of Bananas then I'll add one Citrus and one Apple. Lately they have had Cameo Apples at a good Price so I have been getting those, Nice and Crunchy and somewhat tart just like I like Em. I do have to sort of pick through them as some are bruised.

Sounds a lot like A typical summer Thunderstorm TBH. I do agree they can be scary however.

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Dinner tonight featured a nice sirloin steak and also featured a very nice glass of wine, Gnarly Head, Limited Release, Authentic Black, 2013.

J is eating his eggs, fake bacon, and french fries now...

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! High today is predicted to be 94 with just a small chance of additional rain. Hopefully I can get all my outside stuff done before it gets too warm.

I won the megamillions Tuesday! OK, only $10, but I won. :)

Off to the salt races!

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I did get out walking today 5300 steps + 30 cents, one really hard to spot Quarter and one Shiny Nickel elsewhere. It was already 77 degrees when I got out the door at 6:30 and it never did really cool off overnight. Possible Thunderstorms later today due to the High Humidity as well as the Temperatures.

I also picked up two Cameo Apples at 99 cents a pound, 2 Navel Oranges at 4 for $1 and four Bananas at 49 cents a pound & a Special K Cereal to try once one of the nearly empty ones is emptied :)
    Darn Cereal has become expensive anymore too.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger