Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    It was 55 Degrees This morning a large change from yesterday. It was still comfortable walking since I added a layer second layer of long sleeve shirt and Gloves. I have walked 8,080 steps so far and 10 Cents. It is now time to change to long pants for my walks, especially since some dummy, me, spilled coffee on his hiking shorts.

I stopped at the Grocery Store day for Bananas, Green Pears and Nectarines. Since it is 10% senior discount day. With the advertised price per pound the bananas will be 26 cents a pound, Hard to beat that price so I picked up enough to last me to next Wednesday and they are already in the refrigerator along with a couple of Pears and Nectarines. I still have a Apple from earlier and three days worth of Grapes that my brother picked up for me on a whim yesterday. He also brought home some Blackberries that are already eaten with my DInner as the SC as They usually last the shortest time. The Grapes were two servings of Large Green and tow servings of Large Red Grapes.

Later I will go over my upcoming NS order as Thursday 6PM is the latest I can make changes.

Have a Good Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    No tags today! I guess that couple of weeks of split tags may have been a fluke.

D has not left for Arizona yet, but plans to go tomorrow. I had not actually made any dinner plans so it was a "wander and wonder" night again.

I ended up with beefy, cheesy, macaroni. OK. There was a little onion in there too, and some tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning. Wine of choice: Empyrean Draco Claret (Bordeaux style blend) 2005, Washington State. Very dry, fruity, quite nice!

This is one of 4 that I have purchased that have been cellared for 11 years. I was quite happy with all three reds (still have a bottle of each left too) but sort of so-so with the one white.

The one I wasn't so thrilled with was a white blend from California. Over the years it did develop a lovely golden color, and the taste was quite nice to begin with, but the finish was VERY acid. Not dis-satisfied, on the whole, as that is sometimes an issue with me for many white wines that have NOT been cellared for 11 years. Probably part of why I generally prefer dry reds...but sometimes a white is just a better pairing with dinner.

But why bother drinking one cellared for 11 years if it won't improve? To be fair, I never tasted that blend as a younger wine so have no point of comparison. I probably won't buy that particular white wine blend again unless it happens to be a single bottle in a 15 bottle crate from my wine club that otherwise looks great to me. And, considering the acidity, now that I have experienced it...probably serve with fish, seafood or some REALLY nice Asian or East Indian food.

The second half of the bottle was quaffed, ice cold, rather than sipped, which helped with the acidity, though it was still definitely there at the finish. No, I don't get drunk from quaffing half a bottle of wine...as long as I have eaten recently anyway. Heck, I don't get drunk from a WHOLE bottle of wine, come to that, as long as there has been sufficient food with carbs to offset the alcohol.

Finishing off the claret now. Wish I had ordered more than two bottles of each of these reds now. But maybe they will show up in another special. When I bought them it was a special deal for 6 bottles, 2 of each, all from the same winery, which I felt was a good bet since I was buying that blind, never having tasted ANYTHING from that particular winery before. When that is the case, 2 or 3 bottles is usually my limit on mail order as I might not be all that crazy about it.

There were two other reds (a dry California blend and a lovely 2011 Bordeaux blend) that I ended up buying a whole case (12 bottles) each of after trying them. Frankly, if they offer a 12 bottle case of any of the three reds I mentioned above, I'll probably jump on that too. I've given away two bottles of the Bordeaux blend as gifts and one bottle of the California blend.

The prices from my wine club fit nicely into my range for buying wine (up to $15 a bottle for generally "good" wine) and some are beyond good to EXCELLENT, in my opinion. Most end up in the $6 to $10 range, though the $6 only hits when I have special sales AND coupons to use at the same time, and some of the pricer (and very good wines) come in at $14 or $15 and then they have some higher end ones that cost even more but I haven't gone there...yet. I may, as I don't object to paying more for an excellent bottle, just can't always afford that!
    Hi Ed
    It sounds as if You have been having good luck with Your wine selections and prices.

Hopefully today will not be a heavy tag day for You.
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Finished off last night's macaroni dish for breakfast. 85 is the predicted high for today with 0% chance of rain. Sounds like a nice day for my 39th birthday.
    Nothing wrong with a Macaroni dish for breakfast. I have been known to do that in past years, usually I would Crisp up Bacon in the skillet, Pull the Bacon, drain off most of the Bacon grease and Crisp up the leftover macaroni dish in the Bacon grease and depending on what type of dish either Crumble in the bacon if a Mac & Cheese or eat slices separate if a Tomato Gravy dish.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good morning,
    thermometer says 65! Not bad. We may have fall after all!
    Shopping day. Have looked at the adverts for both stores..and nothing exciting either place. Kroger has the best price on Mandarin oranges, so I may get one or two to see if they're sweet this year. If really great, I can always go back for more.

Roger, hope you're having a good walk. I'm guessing on the homeward bound leg by now. I got my steps in yesterday, and crossing the parking lot at Publix, gained a penny. First coin I've found in awhile.

I think I'm in the mood to rip out the pretty ugly geraniums in a pot in the driveway, and put a mum in its place. Could use a bit of color. The backdrop to that plant will eventually have red berries, but its too early for them to turn. So the pot needs to have a bit of color. Thinking a nice bright yellow would be just ducky! lol!!

Oh, Roger I do use reduced sodium soy...have for years. At first I didn't like the taste, but I have gotten used to it. And even then I use it very sparingly.

Did I mention this new operating system has Siri on my desktop? I love it. Have used it several times already.

Later...

Hi Valerie
    Since I got home at 8:15 today I would say that Your guess was correct :)
    It has been a while since I Picked up money too and then this morning I found a Dime, Whee I'm on the way to becoming rich.

I am not sure how I feel about Siri. From a 2011explanation on ZDnet
    The sounds of your speech were immediately encoded into a compact digital form that preserves its information.

The signal from your connected phone was relayed wirelessly through a nearby cell tower and through a series of land lines back to your Internet Service Provider where it then communicated with a server in the cloud, loaded with a series of models honed to comprehend language.

Which makes sense as Your Phone or In this case computer needs to get information elsewhere if You want to know where to get something from a location near You. I think my problem with this is simple. To me this means that Apple has the information regrading Your current location and tastes.
    Forgot to mention that the red Japanese sweet potato was good...but not worth the price, but that was from Whole Foods, and I suspect I can find them cheaper at H-Mart! Maybe even happen on the purple variety. I haven't looked to see if I can find the nutritional stats for it, as opposed to a regular sweet potato, ....which come to think of it is on sale at Kroger for 98 cents a pound. I will remember to pick up a couple of them for the coming week. Chunks of sweet potato with spinach, onion, garlic, and sometimes beans also are a tasty and filling, very nutritious lunch. (not to mention quick and easy!)

Not worth the money, what a shame. I always liked my Sweet Potatoes with Butter melting into it after mashing them. And of course the canned Candied Yams always did hit my sweet tooth nicely.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,234 Member
    edited September 2016
    Birthday was, mostly, nice. Not a whole lot of tagging, but pretty busy out there this morning!

Lunch was just a pick-up from the deli at work as I left. J had a frozen Thai entree.

But birthday DINNER tonight (I'm 39!) was Asian delivery. Spicy mango chicken with fried rice and a Spring roll. Red Velvet cake for dessert. Wine of choice: Magnifico Cuvée Bianco, Italy.
    J had Spicy Basil Tofu, no wine. And cake, of course.

20160928_193209_zpsaruzr8vv.jpg

20160928_195315_zpsk6xs5p1q.jpg

20160928_184942_zpsghf3ttbg.jpg
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! High predicted of only 77 today with 0% chance of rain. I can live with that for sure!

Today is J's birthday. I think he might admit to being 42, but I think of us as the same age now. Hehe. Both 39.

No idea what he'll select for dinner. Last night was my selection(s) and it was nice. I do know we have a slice each of chocolate cake with fudge frosting for his birthday cake. It's nice to be able to get cake for two at the grocery instead of having to buy a whole cake!

Not too much tagging yesterday, but I did see someone checking the hose talkers at one of the pumps and comparing to a printout. Right after she left I decided to confound them and DID go out and hang the signs for the beef jerky, figuring at the price marked we won't have any customers for it anyway. And if we do I'll just explain that for some silly reason Corporate thinks it's more important that we hang that sign than advertise for something we actually sell in the kiosk.

Off to the rat mines!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It was 68 Degrees This morning a large change from yesterday. It was still comfortable walking however. I have walked 7.4K steps so far and 0 Cents. I have changed to long pants for my walks, So of course it warmed up :)
    I geared up in rain gear since the weather map showed rain over my area with more coming in from the west so of course I did not need it as it only drizzled a little bit. The predicted rain has not happened as it was still dry under the trees.

While walking I also picked up a bunch of Black Walnuts off of the street as I had a Plastic bag just in case the weather forecast was wrong. I had noticed them the other day when I had nothing to put them in :(

Later I will go over my upcoming NS order as today at 6PM is the latest I can make changes.

Have a Good Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! High predicted of only 77 today with 0% chance of rain. I can live with that for sure!

Today is J's birthday. I think he might admit to being 42, but I think of us as the same age now. Hehe. Both 39.

No idea what he'll select for dinner. Last night was my selection(s) and it was nice. I do know we have a slice each of chocolate cake with fudge frosting for his birthday cake. It's nice to be able to get cake for two at the grocery instead of having to buy a whole cake!

Not too much tagging yesterday, but I did see someone checking the hose talkers at one of the pumps and comparing to a printout. Right after she left I decided to confound them and DID go out and hang the signs for the beef jerky, figuring at the price marked we won't have any customers for it anyway. And if we do I'll just explain that for some silly reason Corporate thinks it's more important that we hang that sign than advertise for something we actually sell in the kiosk.
    Hi Ed
    What a great tasty looking dinner for You Birthday meal.
    Happy Birthday to J too. I like that we can get Cakes in slices also at the ShopRite grocery store. Usually a two slice package :)

I'm partial to their Carrot cake FWIW.

I see that Your sense of humor has survived doing retail work. Advertise something You sell where the sign is hanging, What a concept he says tongue in cheek.

While walking I am currently listening to the Charlie Chan radio show, From one of the advertisements I heard I gather that the one episode was aired between VE day and VJ day. They are interesting if somewhat simpler than the Charlie Chan movies to fit in the 30 minute broadcast time frame.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning, and good morning and Happy Birthday to J!!!!
  • GardenKatGardens
    Well there was an entire post that went with that, and an emoji after those Happy Birthday exclamation marks. Now I know what happens when you insert them from my mac's source...the whole entire rest of the post just disappears! I have a few bad words to say, will wait till I'm in the shower! :)

Coffee and lunch with Marietta today...
    today is National Coffee Day...so a trip to Star Bucks is in order...will buy a bag of beans, and SB in exchange for and to celebrate the day, will give a tree to an independent coffee grower somewhere in an area that they grow coffee in this world...could be Mexico, or Africa or ?????

Have a great day guys....

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Had there been any two slice packages of carrot cake, that would have been my birthday choice too, but to get that I would have had to buy a whole cake. They often have carrot in the two slice packages but not yesterday. Thus the red velvet won as second choice.

Val, you can mutter all the dirty words you want. *Kitten* *kitten* *kitten*

:smile:
  • RogerToo
    edited September 2016
    Well there was an entire post that went with that, and an emoji after those Happy Birthday exclamation marks. Now I know what happens when you insert them from my mac's source...the whole entire rest of the post just disappears! I have a few bad words to say, will wait till I'm in the shower! :)

Coffee and lunch with Marietta today...
    today is National Coffee Day...so a trip to Star Bucks is in order...will buy a bag of beans, and SB in exchange for and to celebrate the day, will give a tree to an independent coffee grower somewhere in an area that they grow coffee in this world...could be Mexico, or Africa or ?????

Have a great day guys....

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I have had weird things happen to posts too, usually when I get to thinking about it, I find that I did something stupid like preview and not post :)

My Brother mentioned National Coffee Day to me, When I had returned from walking and had no plans to go out later of course :)

They have been covering the Train Crashing into Hoboken's NJ Transit Terminal there. It never stopped at the end of the line. 100+ Injured and the last I heard 1 dead.
    From Here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/nyregion/new-jersey-transit-train-crash-hoboken.html
    HOBOKEN, N.J. — A commuter train crashed at a station in New Jersey during the Thursday morning rush, killing at least one person and injuring about 100 others, a number of them seriously, the authorities said.

“There are fatalities,” said a senior transportation official who did not want to be identified because he was not authorized to speak publicly. “There are a significant number of injuries. The train was going very fast. There are structural concerns about the facility.”
    “The first car was pretty well destroyed,” he said at the station. “The whole roof was caved in. The seats were broken.”
    The train went “over the bumper block, through the depot,” and came to rest at the wall right before the station’s waiting area, Mr. Larson told reporters during a segment that was broadcast on CNN
    “There were wires down, water pouring from the ceiling, the roof had collapsed and there was people climbing out of windows of the train,” he said.

They are still waiting to find out what happened, the news broadcast did not know if it was a mechanical problem, or a Medical problem with the engineer or what.

There went my morning taking a turn to the worse, for me personally not nearly as bad as what happened there to others.

I just had a NS Bagel that I sliced and Toasted and used a taste of Butter, Tasty too.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Had there been any two slice packages of carrot cake, that would have been my birthday choice too, but to get that I would have had to buy a whole cake. They often have carrot in the two slice packages but not yesterday. Thus the red velvet won as second choice.

Val, you can mutter all the dirty words you want. *Kitten* *kitten* *kitten*

:smile:
    Hi Ed
    I think I would have done the same thing if I went for cake and no carrot cake was available or only the entire thing. Prior to my decision to get healthy and lose all this weight I would have passed the 2 slice package and grabbed the entire cake :( Now of course no.

I am 2/3s of the way to having my brother pick up a 2 slice package of carrot cake when he stops at the grocery store later. Carrot cake is my Kryptonite. On the plus side I am, as of this morning, down 2 pounds from last Thursday hence my indecision regarding the Carrot Cake. Not to mention You only live once so why not enjoy if You can. I have finalized my NS order this morning and it closes out at 6Pm today and has a ship date of the 30th so since it comes from the next state, usually under 24 hours from the ship date Saturday might be busy checking it in and putting the frozen away.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited September 2016
    So of course TODAY they had slices of carrot cake...probably cut up that whole cake I didn't buy yesterday. LOL.

Grabbed a hot dog and small packet of mustard for a lunch snack before leaving as I hadn't eaten in a while.

I used to buy the whole carrot cake and we'd feast on carrot cake until we were darn near sick of it...though I'm not sure I could ever really get THAT sick of carrot cake...but in recent years I've come to realize that we really, really don't need to have THAT much evil cake sitting around in this house.

Now the NS carrot cake dessert was actually a pretty good dessert for me, when I was buying from them instead of making food on my own. Not nearly as good as a REAL, KROGER carrot cake, but good enough and it at least let me have some once in a while.

• GardenKatGardens
    Winding out before going to bed. Home late...we chatted....all day!!!!!
    Ed, I laughed when you said I could mutter all the dirty words I knew....well.....
    I started with kitten, kitten, changed to bigger mutterings...cat, cat, cat, and still hadn't said quite enough to suit me so I ended it with shitaki!!!
    Lets see if this 'flies' as is or if they sensor it.
  • GardenKatGardens
    No...it passed!!!! Apparently now we can say the mushroom word! WoooHOOO!!
    I swear I am punchy....need to sleep. And have developed a 'crick' in my neck ???? I may be saying kitten for real by morning!

G'night!!!

• GardenKatGardens
    ROger, I'd not seen news all day...so no I hadn't heard about that train. How horrible...sorry for the families of the one reported death...hope there aren't more dead.

Can you imagine the chaos of being in that station...or worse being on the train. I'm sure you'll hear more than we do down here...so let us know when they find out just what went wrong.

You may also want to tell us how good that carrot cake you were debating asking your bro to pick up!!! :)

Cake's not my first choice of sweet treats, but for awhile Ted had his mother pretty hooked on Hummingbird cake. :neutral:

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! 75 predicted for the high today with 0% chance of rain.

J, as is often the case, didn't care what dinner was so I made my home made spicy, cheesy, hash brown casserole with some cheesy scrambled eggs. And we had the chocolate birthday cake.

I hope that hummingbird cake wasn't made with real humming birds!

Off to the salt races!

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    edited September 2016
    Hi
    It was 58 Degrees This morning a largish change from yesterday. It was still comfortable walking however. I have walked 9K steps so far and 0 Cents. I took a chance and only took a folding umbrella along as there is rain in the weather forecast and the weather radar showed showed rain to the west. I did not need (use) it as it only drizzled a little bit on the final 1/3 of my walk.

I looked at my email and I see the confirmation email for my upcoming NS order.
    No tracking or indication that it has shipped, I sort of would like it not to come until next week to let me free up a bit more space in the basement freezer :)

Have a Good Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    So of course TODAY they had slices of carrot cake...probably cut up that whole cake I didn't buy yesterday. LOL.

Grabbed a hot dog and small packet of mustard for a lunch snack before leaving as I hadn't eaten in a while.

I used to buy the whole carrot cake and we'd feast on carrot cake until we were darn near sick of it...though I'm not sure I could ever really get THAT sick of carrot cake...but in recent years I've come to realize that we really, really don't need to have THAT much evil cake sitting around in this house.

Now the NS carrot cake dessert was actually a pretty good dessert for me, when I was buying from them instead of making food on my own. Not nearly as good as a REAL, KROGER carrot cake, but good enough and it at least let me have some once in a while.
    Hi Ed
    Isn't that always the way :)

I love a Good Hot Dog and really do not like bad ones. I find that I prefer All Beef for example and that the Hebrew national and Bests brands are good. I do not know what brand they use at the Texas Weiner and it is only OK, Not Great. What saves it is that it is grilled AKA Fried not boiled. I prefer mine grilled or BBQ'd. Maybe that is one of the reasons why I like the Jimmy Buffs Italian Hot Dogs, They are deep fried in the same tray as the Potatoes, Peppers and Onions. Plus the Round Italian Bread :)

The NS Carrot Cake is not that great, unless they changed it before I signed up with them. Much of why I am saying that is the thin flat frosting.
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! 75 predicted for the high today with 0% chance of rain.

J, as is often the case, didn't care what dinner was so I made my home made spicy, cheesy, hash brown casserole with some cheesy scrambled eggs. And we had the chocolate birthday cake.

I hope that hummingbird cake wasn't made with real humming birds!
    I am going to say 100% chance of rain as I was drizzled on and the streets were wet before I left from overnight.

The Cheesy Hash Brown casserole sounds delicious as do the Cheesy Eggs. I do like a Cheese Omelet and they most likely tasted similar. I'm just to lazy to work up a omelet at home so what I would do is Scramble the Eggs and add cheese near the end before plating.

Have a Nice Comfortable Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Winding out before going to bed. Home late...we chatted....all day!!!!!
    Ed, I laughed when you said I could mutter all the dirty words I knew....well.....
    I started with kitten, kitten, changed to bigger mutterings...cat, cat, cat, and still hadn't said quite enough to suit me so I ended it with shitaki!!!
    Lets see if this 'flies' as is or if they sensor it.

Hi Valerie
    Yea, It Passed.
    No...it passed!!!! Apparently now we can say the mushroom word! WoooHOOO!!
    I swear I am punchy....need to sleep. And have developed a 'crick' in my neck ???? I may be saying kitten for real by morning!

G'night!!!
    Sorry to hear about the Crick in the neck
    Roger, I'd not seen news all day...so no I hadn't heard about that train. How horrible...sorry for the families of the one reported death...hope there aren't more dead.

Can you imagine the chaos of being in that station...or worse being on the train. I'm sure you'll hear more than we do down here...so let us know when they find out just what went wrong.

You may also want to tell us how good that carrot cake you were debating asking your bro to pick up!!! :)

Cake's not my first choice of sweet treats, but for awhile Ted had his mother pretty hooked on Hummingbird cake. :neutral:

Later...
    I feel sorry for the family of the women killed. It isn't just the families of the passengers on the train. Since the Station is damaged and closed and it is a major hub where many NJ Transit Rail lines end and Passengers transfer to the PATH line to continue on to NYC for work a lot of people are going to suffer commuting problems, including those who were already in the city when they closed down Hoboken Station. PATH Line = Port Authority Trans Hudson Line that goes through tunnels between NJ and New York City Just in case :)

Hummingbird Cake?

I ended up having him pick up the two slice package :) It was tasty, and of course I ended up retaining water, However that will pass :)

Enjoy the Upcoming Weekend
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hummingbird Cake (plz do not make this! I nearly had a heart fart when I read it. "heart fart" shorthand for "Myocardial Heart Infarction"...as I learned in school :))

HUMMING BIRD CAKE
    Ingredients
    3 tablespoon butter
    3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting pans
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (like McCormick roasted cinnamon) 1 teaspoon ground ginger (like McCormick roasted ginger)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    1 + 1/2 cups sugar
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    3 eggs, beaten
    1 8-oz. can crushed pineapple with juices (unsweetened)
    2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 5 bananas)
    1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
    1/2 cup sour cream (not fat-free)
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting:

8 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
    12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    16 ounce bag confectioners' sugar, sifted
    coconut flakes or chopped nuts, for garnishing the top

Instructions
    1.Heat oven to 350° F. Line the bottoms of three 9" round cake pans with parchment paper (or 2 pans and line a 6 cup muffin pan with paper liners for cupcakes). Grease each pan with butter and dust with flour, tap out excess.
    2.In a large bowl sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt together. Stir in the pecans and set aside.
    3.In a a separate large mixing bowl beat the sugar, brown sugar, and eggs together on high speed until smooth. Add the pineapple and juice, bananas, oil, sour cream and vanilla; mix until combined. Add the flour/pecan mixture and mix on low speed until evenly combined.
    4.Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
    5.Bake about 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from center.
    6.Transfer cakes to wire racks and let sit for 15 minutes then turn out each cake and allow to cool.
    7.In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the butter and cream cheese together on low speed 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add the confectioners' sugar a cup or two at a time mixing on low speed until all of it is incorporated. Beat on medium speed 5-6 minutes until light and fluffy.
    8.Frost cake and sprinkle with coconut flakes or chopped nuts