Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,680 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! I have a five hour middle today and again tomorrow. It's supposed to be pretty hot out there, but I'll get by I guess. 5 hours isn't too terribly long.

I didn't ever get my "big water" done yesterday, but I did it this morning. All the plants that need to be OK look pretty much OK so I guess it's all good.

Today I'll get some boneless chuck short ribs going in a crockpot before I head out, with barbecue sauce slathered on them.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Ed, what time is dinner? Man, if I ate meat you'd be in trouble! :smiley:
    Hope its not toooo hot out there today.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I woke up early, For me that is :)
    Brought up News 12 the local cable channel and looked at the weather and decided to walk. When I looked out the window it looked OK, When I went out the front door it was drizzling. So I put on my Frogg Toggs Jacket, put the folding umbrella in my pocket and went anyway. Same route as the last two times. I have planned out a new route that is the same distance for the next walk. :)

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
    Good Wednesday morning!
    Roger...what a problem. I know how you feel. When In TN I had a great garden...except for the peas...one day I found out what was eating my rows of peas...RATS from the huge fields behind my yard! I was furious...and I am deathly afraid of rats....all my life...so No More Peas!
    Whatever is eating your future produce is one hungry critter, as marigolds are not usually considered 'gourmet critter food'.... curious to know whats eating at Rogers Buffet!

Chiro day, and shopping day, and DS1 day. I guess I'd best get going.

Will stop in later!

Hi Valerie
    Whatever it is has stopped eating at the beans as they got a little older and they seem to be recovering. I am cautiously optimistic for them and the 4 remaining Sunflower plants too. I wonder if the critter will eat the Radishes and Lettuce plants? They are both getting the first set of real leaves on them.

I was surprised at the Marigolds too. I thought nothing liked them!

I know we have Rabbits and Squirrels and I have seen Skunks in the front Yard too. So I do not know.

Oh well
    Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hi!
    When I posted this morning I had not turned on the TV...The shooting at a church in Charleston SC is just beyond words terrible.

Roger, glad you were able to get your walk in, and that the garden seems to be 'recovering'. Too much work goes into a garden to provide fresh veggies to a critter!

Later..
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Dinner tonight was surf and turf. I started out with smoked salmon and a few buttery Ritz type crackers and segued into boneless chuck short ribs, braised in barbecue sauce.

For J I made some stir fry from cole slaw mix, peas and carrots, bell pepper and onions, barbecue sauce, sriracha, soy sauce, black pepper, and scrambled egg. Sort of a noodle free spicy lo mein dish, with the shredded cabbage substituting for the noodles. I tasted it and it was pretty good.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Friday Morning!
    Going back to my chiro...what we did Wednesday just didn't really fix the hip issue.
    Its a little cooler here this morning, 70 on my back porch. The torrential rains from yesterday afternoon cooled things down, and because it was evening it stayed cool! Sweet!!!
    I had to put my rubber boots on to take the trash to the street after it had stopped raining yesterday evenig...decided not to take out the recycles...wet paper, etc=ick, in my opinion. So I woke a bit before 6, and took the recycles out. The 'pond' was gone from the excess runoff rain, so no boots. :) Although I'm sure my new neighbor probably is still rolling on his floor laughing at my pastel multidotted black rubber boots to almost my knee, and my black bathrobe almost to the top of my boots. That had to be a sight! If they live there long enough, they'll get used to my 'just running to the curb' outfits!!! LOL!! :smiley:

Going to eat some cereal this morning for breakfast, and then hit the shower. I may leave quite early, as on my way I pass a couple interesting shops, and today I may just go in and 'poke around' a bit! :)

Enjoy your Friday!!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday! Cooler this morning but supposed to be hot by afternoon again! Working another 5 hour middle. I actually don't mind these 5 hour middles much. Not sure what I'll be doing for dinner. Maybe some wine and cheese and just a few crackers...and a lamb leg steak?

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    Happy Friday
    It's almost Summer and Fathers Day Both on Sunday.

I walked a different route today .01 miles longer than Yesterday stopping at the Quick Chek for Coffee this time. The walk was OK until I turned onto a different street that blocked the breeze then I did feel the Humidity. It is supposed to be in the mid to high 80s today. Cooler Tomorrow. :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Hi!
    When I posted this morning I had not turned on the TV...The shooting at a church in Charleston SC is just beyond words terrible.

Roger, glad you were able to get your walk in, and that the garden seems to be 'recovering'. Too much work goes into a garden to provide fresh veggies to a critter!

Later..

Hi Kat
    Evidently the nut job thought that would start a race war. It looks like we are going to get a soaking rain Sunday.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    Happy Friday
    It's almost Summer and Fathers Day Both on Sunday.

I walked a different route today .01 miles longer than Yesterday stopping at the Quick Chek for Coffee this time. The walk was OK until I turned onto a different street that blocked the breeze then I did feel the Humidity. It is supposed to be in the mid to high 80s today. Cooler Tomorrow. :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Hi!

Later..

Hi Kat
    Evidently the nut job thought that would start a race war. It looks like we are going to get a soaking rain Sunday.

Cheers
    Roger
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All,

Trying to catch up with everyone after being off the grid for nearly a week. We were in VA and NC (Outer Banks, in the dunes area) then back for a night in VA. Lovely, very hot!

It looks like we have a new buddy here, Millie. Welcome. You have some great ideas (the chic cake with thin coating of PB). I also appreciated your description of the affair you are having with the 12 grain bread. Hopefully you are breaking off that affair.

Time to get moving. A meeting all day today (yes, Saturday). Next week I will be at a conference. Eeek! I am speaking at that conference. It is the national meeting for my professional colleagues. The room they assigned me to has a capacity of over 400...again, I say EEEEK! Hopefully, I won't get that many attendees in my session!

Will check in tomorrow, I hope, and somewhat spottily next week. Wishing a good week to all.
  • cenandra
    cenandra Posts: 267 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Leemom3 wrote: »
    Good Morning Folks (ahhhh, still morning!),

I was getting ready to go out walking, then heard what sounds like a tap-tap-tapping on my window pane. I have done enough rainy walks and no longer want to do them. That, plus I am getting lazy, so I may just wait it out. I am not going to any office today and no pressure to do work right now, so I can go later (if I am not lazy then!).

Ed, the marsala dinner sounds quick and relish. I am thinking I will give it a try. One question: do you buy marsala cooking wine, or do you get the real stuff (drinking wine)? I have heard you should use the same quality for cooking as for drinking, but I am not an expert on either.

Roger, good strategy having breakfast before the bagel shop. Me? I'd have to skip the shop altogether! And going back a few days to my earlier comment about whether NS is a luxury, I agree with you that good health is a necessity, not a luxury. What I see as the luxury is the meter to get there...NS. It worked for me, but it also cost a bit of money to do that.

Don, out riding and camping right now? Rain up there?

Val, funny about getting up early unnecessarily for the work you no longer had to do. Are you used to that yet? I spent last weekend with a group of ladies camping, most of whom were retired. The retirees kept telling me how much they love being retired. Sounds wonderful!

Cenandra, good to see you back here. You maintenance longevity is inspiring. In many ways maintenance is so much more challenging than the losing. And thanks for the links to the other threads. I may stumble over there.

Try to stay dry folks. Lots of home work (not homework) to do today...too many camping trips and work keeping me from the house!

Take care,
    Lee-Ann

Hi Lee-Ann! Thank you for your kind words its an every day process! I love my body and how its thriving with the weight off and eating healthy and loving to exercise. I have to say its easy now and I'd never want to go back.

Spending most my time in the NS Fitbitters group inspiring bunch of steppers. I ride my bike more than walk, but just the same the challenges keep pushing me more and more.

Hope to see you over there sometime, but if not I know where to look for you. :smile:
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Saturday Morning!
    So glad I'm not at an all day Saturday meeting!! UGH!

This will be short, I'm trying to do the 'complete' backup on my new computer, Last Saturday I only transferred in 'works' to this new one, but left open the option of using My Passport exclusively here on the Air....so this is taking forever I wonder if its because I'm using the computer...will shut down directly.

ED!!! I looked ahead at the weather forecast...I have two apps..one the Weather Channel, and the other an app called Fahrenheit...both come in handy for various reasons,...but F.. says its gonna be 99 degrees Thursday and 100 for Friday??? I am not quite ready for those temps, especially in JUNE.

LeeAnn did you not just love the Outer Banks? My kids young years we went there twice a year...summer for the beach, and Thanksgiving for foraging seafood and assorted 'weeds'.... I would complain for at least 50 miles as we were leaving that we were going the WRONG way! Couldn't we find jobs at the beach??? Etc!! Sorry it was so hot, they've had an unusual hot spell. NC is really quite nice. (the other thing I loved, at least at the beach, Thanksgiving and peoples roses, etc were still blooming.)

Ok, I'm off to see if this process will hurry along. And I have about 30 minutes of time free before my next 'cold pack for 15'....this damn hip and I are about to have issues!!!

Later...

• parityanimal
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! I've got the day off, but may get out to the hardware store or elsewhere to find a cheap table fan and extension cord to bring in to the fuel kiosk for the hot days of summer! We do have air conditioning in there, but it still gets pretty warm up in the front where the glass and the payment tray are.

I've been up for a couple of hours now but distracted by feeding Lilo, feeding me, and getting this big crock pot of beef stew going. It's got beef (d'oh!), onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, herbs and spices, and water in there, along with some thickener, of course.

I made an amazing discovery too, while preparing dinner. I put in the first half of the beef and turned the crock pot on low. Then I added the onion and garlic, the rest of the beef, the carrots, the herbs, spices and thickener (all mixed with water) and then the potatoes on top. As I was chopping all along the way, this took about 15 minutes. Then I brushed my hands along the sides of the crock pot to make sure it was warming up, as I always do a few minutes in. Cold as steel. Crock Pots work better when they are PLUGGED IN!

I plugged it in and then checked in another 15 minutes and all is going well.

Dinner at 6ish. ;)

• RogerToo
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi All
    One more day until Fathers Day and the first day of Summer.

I walked today, a rerun of Yesterdays route. It was nice while the breeze was blowing but when it stopped I started sweating until it resumed blowing and that was with going out the front door at 6:45AM :)

Around 11AM when working in the back Yard I started feeling a fine mist, It seems that the rain is starting to arrive early. The worst is supposed to be tonight and Sunday Morning :(

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
    Good Saturday Morning!
    So glad I'm not at an all day Saturday meeting!! UGH!

This will be short, I'm trying to do the 'complete' backup on my new computer, Last Saturday I only transferred in 'works' to this new one, but left open the option of using My Passport exclusively here on the Air....so this is taking forever I wonder if its because I'm using the computer...will shut down directly.

ED!!! I looked ahead at the weather forecast...I have two apps..one the Weather Channel, and the other an app called Fahrenheit...both come in handy for various reasons,...but F.. says its gonna be 99 degrees Thursday and 100 for Friday??? I am not quite ready for those temps, especially in JUNE.

LeeAnn did you not just love the Outer Banks? My kids young years we went there twice a year...summer for the beach, and Thanksgiving for foraging seafood and assorted 'weeds'.... I would complain for at least 50 miles as we were leaving that we were going the WRONG way! Couldn't we find jobs at the beach??? Etc!! Sorry it was so hot, they've had an unusual hot spell. NC is really quite nice. (the other thing I loved, at least at the beach, Thanksgiving and peoples roses, etc were still blooming.)

Ok, I'm off to see if this process will hurry along. And I have about 30 minutes of time free before my next 'cold pack for 15'....this damn hip and I are about to have issues!!!

Later...

Hi Kat
    Take a look and see if You are plugged into a USB3 port. Usually the USB3 ports have Blue Plastic in them versus the older USB2 that have black plastic in them. Many computers have a mix of both.

The Other Issue I have seen is with my Western Digital Passport drives. They seem to be picky what port they are plugged into. When I plug them into the WD USB3 card I added to my Windows computer they start off fast and slow down to nothing. If I plug them into the USB2 port they copy slower but they keep copying. I do not have that problem with the Seagate, Toshiba or another brand. The Western Digital drive does not like the Card they sold for USB3, Go figure!

Good Luck
    Roger
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! I've got the day off, but may get out to the hardware store or elsewhere to find a cheap table fan and extension cord to bring in to the fuel kiosk for the hot days of summer! We do have air conditioning in there, but it still gets pretty warm up in the front where the glass and the payment tray are.

I've been up for a couple of hours now but distracted by feeding Lilo, feeding me, and getting this big crock pot of beef stew going. It's got beef (d'oh!), onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, herbs and spices, and water in there, along with some thickener, of course.

I made an amazing discovery too, while preparing dinner. I put in the first half of the beef and turned the crock pot on low. Then I added the onion and garlic, the rest of the beef, the carrots, the herbs, spices and thickener (all mixed with water) and then the potatoes on top. As I was chopping all along the way, this took about 15 minutes. Then I brushed my hands along the sides of the crock pot to make sure it was warming up, as I always do a few minutes in. Cold as steel. Crock Pots work better when they are PLUGGED IN!

Dinner at 6ish. ;)

Hi Ed
    I've done that too, sadly I did not catch it until I went to eat it. You got lucky!

Cheers
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hi all,
    This business of 'move for an hour & ice 15 minutes' is an interesting way to house clean! LOL! Will take all day and part of tomorrow!!

Rog, MAC book air.....my USB ports are white inside!!! :) I guess I could go dig around under the apple and find out what ports I have, but.... it was half done when I closed out Safari, and finished by the time I got back around to looking... best part is 'its done'!!

Ed, you better watch out, you're getting like me in the kitchen!!! But thats not soooo bad!
    And I just heard a loud 'thump' or something, I think I need to go look around Sounded like the area where I am...tree limb? I can't think of anything that would have fallen over...hmmmmmm????
  • parityanimal
    edited June 2015
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

Dinner at 6ish. ;)

Hi Ed
    I've done that too, sadly I did not catch it until I went to eat it. You got lucky!

Cheers
    Roger

That's why I ALWAYS brush my fingers along the sides before I leave the kitchen, to make sure that it's not only turned on, but plugged in and actually working! Too easy to forget to plug it in or forget to turn it on...and end up with well soaked beans or ruined dinner.

At this point, it's in the "smelling wonderful but still has three hours or so to go - bwahahahaha!" stage...

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    HA!! a little poking around in the instruction manual which is on my hard drive....good, unless the computer is 'down' and .....
    Anyhow both my USB ports are USB3 and I have Thunderbolt 2....haven't looked into exactly what that's about.

Raining here, and the thunder is not loud, but its out there. So, all unplugged and going to eat my lunch. (its almost 4 pm...can this still be called lunch?) :smiley:
  • parityanimal
    Options
    We had some storms too. The lawn guys got caught in it too! After the storm we went out for a minute to the hardware store and passed through a large area without power, which made me wonder if we still had power at home, but when we got home everything was fine.

The stew came out just right!

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning, Happy Fathers Day to anyone who's a Dad!
    And it the Summer Solstice....longest day of the year, though we'll be hard pressed to believe that in August!!
    Finishing up my cup of coffee, and then I have a big chore to take care of before DS2 arrives with the munchkins.
    For some reason my rain barrel is not collecting rain?? Makes no sense..wondering if the gutter downspout can be the issue. So, DS2 is coming to check the guttering, and look over the barrel?

Everybody have a great day...beautiful morning here, hope same for everyone.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! Working a six hour middle today, but Sunday is usually not too terribly busy. We shall see.

Leftover stew made a great breakfast.