Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited March 2017
    Hi
    I was out walking today and hit 5.6k steps so far, since I will be going back out after the Bank opens I expect to have my step goal in later no problem. The temperature was 31 degrees vs 51 degrees yesterday and was a bit nippy for walking.

Speaking of Subway more on the web page...
    http://bgr.com/2017/03/01/subway-chicken-sandwich-dna-50/
    Spoiler Alert: Subway chicken sandwiches are only 50% chicken, but they’re still 100% delicious
    According to a troubling report from the CBC, DNA testing on Subway’s oven-roasted chicken found that the patty only contains about 50% chicken. As for what comprises the remaining 50%, well, let’s just say I’d rather not know. The oven-roasted chicken, though, wasn’t the only offending item on Subway’s menu. Similar DNA testing found Subway’s Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki strips are only 42% chicken.

While it’s not realistic to expect a menu item at a fast food joint to be 100% pure chicken — marinades and other add-ons can easily dilute the results — 40% is simply inexcusable. Subway’s performance here is even more glaring given that chicken dishes tested at other fast food establishments scored much higher. McDonald’s grilled Country Chicken sandwich, for example, was found to be about 85% chicken.

Subway has since come out and refuted the CBC’s findings, while at the same time promising to look into the matter.

“The accusations made by CBC Marketplace about the content of our chicken are absolutely false and misleading,” Subway said in a statement provided to Consumer Affairs. “Our chicken is 100% white meat with seasonings, marinated and delivered to our stores as a finished, cooked product.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning Sunny but chilly and windy out there! (Probably 'normal' temp if the truth be known!)
    Lazy sleepy morning. And an 'Arm' session this afternoon with the 'coach'. Later, assuming she doesn't break off one or both of my arms, I will drive over to see 'O' doing her gymnastics. (This is up for debate...she sprained her ankle Saturday and occasionally/intermittently complains that it hurts) So, If she doesn't go, they are to call me!

Found some really nice asparagus at Kroger yesterday...so I suspect that will be a big player in my diet today.
    Also yesterday I rec'd my Onion and the Potato 'storage bags'. Interesting. Time will tell if they actually work. Outside is canvas, lined with a black cloth that is very 'breathable'...they have a drawstring top and a bottom side zipper to remove the items. Supposed to increase storage time by keeping them from sprouting. Makes sense to me. So...loaded both bags yesterday. I had 2 bags of the small yellow potatoes and an 8 pound bag of russets. Got all but 4 or 5 of the Russets in that bag after putting both bags of the small yellow's in. The 3 lb bag of yellow onions easily fit into its bag. This time of year I seem to always 'lose' an onion or two because they have sprouted....and potatoes try to sprout as well. (in a way that is a good thing...as I know they haven't been chemically sprayed to keep them from sprouting)

Hope Eddie gets his chores done so Eduardo can cook, and Ed can relax before the company comes! :)

April the giraffe is still quite pregnant. No little feet to patter around in the pen. I saw an article on the web page yesterday saying they'd apparently miscalculated, and that she was Not in Labor. Sooo, the wait goes on.

Ok, coffee is getting cold, and I really should join Eduardo in the kitchen, as I think I recall seeing the casserole that held the Shipwreck Casserole in the sink. Also the floor could use some attention.
    In my defense of lateness, I have attended to the kitty boxes, and changed out the kitchen towels, and a few other little tasks...but, enough with the excuses...its a slow lazy morning!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I had not thought about there being a spray to keep them from sprouting. What I also see with Potatoes that lay on the counter is the skin turning green from the light, Not a pretty look for them :)

Interesting item those Onion and Potato storage bags, Are they also washable?

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    About half the floors swept. Eddie is getting too old for this. Lunch break and apparently Lilo is upset that the broom is getting more attention than her...she is insisting on a snuggle and petting break too.
    Hi Ed
    I need to sweep and Vacuum here too. Motivation is sorely lacking however.
    All the manual (broom) sweeping done. Little bit of vacuuming and some mopping yet to be done, and a final clean of the bathrooms, though they got done a few days ago.

The rest may wait until tomorrow...

Meanwhile, let's try some Armenian food.
    At least You are doing it :)
    Eddie decided to go ahead and finish the housecleaning early this evening. There really wasn't all THAT much left. Good to have it done for now.

A is leaving Pittsburgh tomorrow morning at 10:00 but not sure exactly what time her flight arrives.
    Congratulations on finishing it.
    We haven't heard from Lee Ann in weeks. Hope all is well!

I hope so too.
    Thanks for the humorous videos and link.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,218 Member
    Sink still needs clearing. But I did, after cutting my slice of Meyer lemon, to put in my tea, strip down 3 lemon seeds which have been placed in a baggie, in a damp paper towel, to hopefully sprout. The baggie has been placed in a warm dark cabinet. With luck, I'll remember to check on it in about a week.

If any of the seeds sprout, I'll try to get at least one lemon tree started for a decorative potted plant. If more than one sprout, then I'll try to get more than one tree started.

And if we needed another reason to not eat donuts, apparently most of them are gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lg2dg3-ob4
  • parityanimal
    I guess Valerie didn't have time this morning or her post got eaten by the system.

Eduardo suddenly popped up around lunchtime and tossed this jalapeño egg cheese puff together for lunch. Made a nice lunch for me and J.

20170303_125451_zpsvddjlwry.jpg

20170303_130103_zps0poq0ugh.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi Ed
    Thanks for the Donut Video, I'm off to watch it as soon as I click Post Reply Here

Have a Good Afternoon
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Evening! :)
    I did not have time to post this morning, barely time to eat a banana before heading to the gym for my cardio and 'legs'...Hope I can walk tomorrow. Arms still a bit tender, but ok enough.

I've finished my dinner, and am still a bit hungry for something...not sure what though. So, maybe just not worry about it and eat tomorrow!

Sink needs to be cleared....I think that's a tomorrow item too. And Cardio at the gym. No hockey...season over. Not sure if he'll play summer league or not. He hasn't for the past 2 years, but you never know. He really wants to make the travel team this fall.

I will let you know, I apparently have really poor taste....at least in Donuts. I liked Drunken Donuts and Krispy Cream...

Ok, I'm going to do something, not sure what, probably bike for a bit. I'm about 1k steps short today....

Later...
  • parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday!

Weather Channel page says it's 60 out there. Weather channel page is full of shiitake mushrooms, because I was just out there and it's not 60. The weather thingie on my phone says it's 34 out there which sounds more like right.

Weather Channel page says high of 77 today with 0 chance of precipitation. We'll see...but that seems like an awfully big range!

I've been up since about 7:00 thanks to my vulture cat.

Need to drink my tea up and get ready to drive to the Duluth Costco to meet someone and buy supplies for the judge, visiting vendor, and worker hospitality at the upcoming Orchid show, which, by the way, is not this coming weekend, but the NEXT WEEKEND.

Hope to see you there Valerie!

Sink also needs to be cleared. Eventually.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking today and hit 7k steps. The temperature was 21 degrees vs 31 degrees yesterday and was a bit nippy for walking, The Feel of the temperature was about the same as yesterday due to little wind so far. We had a dusting of snow yesterday by 8PM which has mostly disappeared overnight with traces showing on lawns.

From Here: https://taxfoundation.org/how-high-are-property-taxes-your-state/
    Also they have a map showing states rates :)
    New Jersey has the highest effective rate at 2.38% and is followed closely by Illinois (2.32%), New Hampshire (2.15%), and Connecticut (1.98%). On the other end of the spectrum, Hawaii has the lowest effective rate at 0.28%, and is followed closely by Alabama (0.43%), Louisiana (0.51%), and Delaware (0.55%). How does your state compare?

Yea, We are Number One :(
    Not a number one I wanted to see either.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Evening! :)
    I did not have time to post this morning, barely time to eat a banana before heading to the gym for my cardio and 'legs'...Hope I can walk tomorrow. Arms still a bit tender, but ok enough.

I've finished my dinner, and am still a bit hungry for something...not sure what though. So, maybe just not worry about it and eat tomorrow!

Sink needs to be cleared....I think that's a tomorrow item too. And Cardio at the gym. No hockey...season over. Not sure if he'll play summer league or not. He hasn't for the past 2 years, but you never know. He really wants to make the travel team this fall.

I will let you know, I apparently have really poor taste....at least in Donuts. I liked Drunken Donuts and Krispy Cream...

Ok, I'm going to do something, not sure what, probably bike for a bit. I'm about 1k steps short today....

Later...

HI Valerie
    According to the page I liked above Georgia Has a much better rate than NJ too at 0.95%

I hope Your arms and legs are OK today.

You are not alone, I like the Dunkin Donuts which were also panned in the video, I sometimes refer to Dunkin Donuts as Drunken Dronuts. I have never tried Crispy Cream donuts BTW.

I ended up above my goal yesterday. Today I may fall a little short as I was 1/8 (12.5%) of my walking step count goal, OTOH I have been above for the rest of the week so depending on Tomorrow I should be at my weekly step count goal :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday!

Weather Channel page says it's 60 out there. Weather channel page is full of shiitake mushrooms, because I was just out there and it's not 60. The weather thingie on my phone says it's 34 out there which sounds more like right.

Weather Channel page says high of 77 today with 0 chance of precipitation. We'll see...but that seems like an awfully big range!

I've been up since about 7:00 thanks to my vulture cat.

Need to drink my tea up and get ready to drive to the Duluth Costco to meet someone and buy supplies for the judge, visiting vendor, and worker hospitality at the upcoming Orchid show, which, by the way, is not this coming weekend, but the NEXT WEEKEND.

Hope to see you there Valerie!

Sink also needs to be cleared. Eventually.
    Hi Ed
    I do not depend on the weather channel these days. I do get weather reports from the Cable News Channel, News12. Their temperature readings from their nearby location sometimes are the same as my front porch shows and sometimes not. I depend on my Front porch reading for a final determination on what to wear to go walking and modify that based on what they report for the morning hours.

I saw bad news on the NYC & cable channel news reports in the financial reports part of their broadcasts yesterday. CostCo is doing a membership rate increase this year, Before I renew too.
    From Here: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-how-much-more-that-costco-membership-is-going-to-cost-2017-03-02
    Costco membership fees are going up; here’s how much you’ll pay
    U.S. and Canadian residents are in for a surprise when renewing their Costco Wholesale Corp. membership or joining the warehouse club retailer after June.

Costco COST, -4.34% said late Thursday it will raise basic membership fees by $5 effective June 1. That means its “goldstar” (individual) membership, its business and business add-on members will pay an annual fee of $60, Costco said.

Costco’s “executive” memberships, which cost more but offer 2% rewards on Costco purchases and other perks, will increase to $120 from $110. Costco rose the maximum annual 2% reward to $1,000 from $750.

The company last increased membership fees in 2011, and as of November had nearly 90 million card-carrying members.

Also mentioned was something I had heard before which was that membership fees are the main area where they make their profit.
    From Here: https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/06/10/why-membership-fees-are-so-important-to-costco-who.aspx
    A club, not a retailer
    Membership revenue totaled $2.4 billion last year, up 6% from 2013. Meanwhile, Costco booked $3.2 billion in total operating profit. So, subscriber fees accounted for 75% of earnings, which shows why its more useful to think of Costco as a membership club rather than a retailer.

Also
    Costco (NASDAQ:COST) moves an amazing $110 billion of merchandise through its 700 warehouses around the world. It is the second biggest retailer in the United States, below only Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) -- despite the fact that Wal-Mart has 10 times as many stores.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    The Weather Channel page now says high of 61, with current temperature already up to a blazing 43 degrees!

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning! Saturday and no hockey! Slept 8 a.m. finally rolled out of my comfortable little spot, and began the day.
    Tom's fed, me too! Not much else accomplished this morning because I watched a PBS program for1.5 hours! Whoa! For somebody who doesn't watch TV that was an accomplishment!

Now time to hit the floor running. Need to empty dishwasher so I can clear the sink, fluff and fold the clothes in the dryer so I can dry the load of clothes I need to wash...you get the picture??? Yeah, gonna be one of 'those' days.

Interesting article about Costco Roger. I don't own any of their stocks, but I do keep my annual goldstar membership. $5 extra dollars is not a deal breaker. (its about $0.42 more a month...or Rogers found coins monthly!).... I knew about Costco's size, etc, but what I REALLY like about Costco, its a great place to work, great benefits, and they pay a decent salary to their workers, unlike WalMart. So you and I are not supporting the Costco workers with Food Stamps like we are supporting the WalMart folks who don't make a living wage. Also better quality of 'stuff' from food to clothes, to whatever....

Sorry Ed, missing you at Costco. I sure hope you got there as the big garage door opened...cuz Costco is a 'zoo' on the weekends. Ted and I used to go on Sunday mornings, and were in the parking lot when the door went up! Easy to navigate, no crowds, and easy check outs. (and this was before the do it yourself checkout areas). We had quite a routine. He'd drive up from ATL, we'd hit 'Harry's', which was the Whole Foods forerunner in this area, first, again no crowds..and then be around the corner at Costco when they opened. Drop Mom off, and he'd head back to Midtown! It was such a ritual, that to this day, there are half a dozen old Harry's workers who remember us, and are working at Whole Foods. One little Indian lady always asks 'How's Mister? and tell him Hi for us'...same from the lady in the bakery area where they have those devilish pizza's! And several guys as well.

Ok, time to quit talking about it, and actually 'move'...
    Later...
    PS, still no baby giraffe :)
  • parityanimal
    Valerie, I hope to see you at the orchid show, not at Costco! Believe me, buying $210 worth of supplies, sodas, etc for the show kept us quite busy enough...but there should be sufficient supplies to hold us through the next year or two with Orchid Society meeting hospitality plates, cups, napkins, etc and cover next year's show!

We then had lunch at a nice, fairly new fully vegetarian Indian restaurant. Chennai Express restaurant has two locations, one fully vegetarian (but some dishes do have cheese and/or cream) and the other has some non-vegetarian options.

This was my first time at the fully vegetarian one, and the lunch buffet was delicious!

Both restaurants are on the same road, though it's named State Bridge for the veggie one and Old Milton for the non-veggie one, which still has a lot of vegetarian options, along with a few non-vegetarian ones.

You can read about them both HERE:

http://chennaiexpressrestaurant.com/

• parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

35 out there right now, but supposed to reach a mostly cloudy (but no rain) high of 67 this afternoon.

Clam chowder for breakfast, along with my morning vitamins, Metformin, and two ibuprofen tablets.

When A arrived Friday night, J was still working late, so A and I went to L'Thai for dinner. They have two locations, and they offer LOTS of vegan options. If one wants to be vegan, of course, one then has to make sure that no eggs (for example) are included in their order of fried rice or pad see ew, but a lot of the sauces are vegan by default.

They pride themselves on offering organic food and as much as possible is sustainable.

Information on the three locations can be seen at www.lethai.com

And now, for futuristic farming, watch this cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yslNVfRvTJY