Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Ok, the short and sweet...
    Its your fault..you Roger AND you Ed!! I have been trying or MONTHS to catch whoever it is that ever so kindly brings my trash can and recycle bin back to my garage door on trash day...So, today I took this laptop to the front room, cracked the blinds, and boy oh boy I was gonna catch them today.... and then I started reading you posts from today, and seeing the cartoons from yesterday that I'd missed.....and suddenly I see motion.....it was the little red car from next door, and the trash cans were already back at my house...........ARG!!!!! LOL!! (not my fault for reading, your fault for posting, right???? LOL!!

I want to get outside before it gets hot, and while there is a nice breeze...but first,
    Roger I appreciate the idea of splitting the BP meds, no so sure that is one that can be split. I'd have to ask....and she, (Little Doc) would probably keel over...you see its $4.60 for a 3 month supply!, so its sure can't be beat for cost!! I just want OFF the darn things, period. (but not so much liking the risk of stroke either...)

OK gotta get moving...laundry to move from dryer to bed, and also washer to dryer! and then there are those weeds, :smiley:

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I plead the 5th, I do not have to answer that question, I was never there, I never did it, I... I...

maybe They can do a test run of a 1/2 strength pill?
    I'm back...
    Outside only an hour, got some trimming done, and I gathered 2 loads and then a few more, of sticks, branches, twigs that have fallen out of the trees since last week... Took some pix of a start I took from a PeeGee hydrangea. It was one of the pieces that broke off during planting the original plant that Jack & Jenn gave to the Mom's several years ago. Its gotten Huge!, and will be in full bloom next week.

BP was 134 this morning, while drinking my half caff, before Friday's medication...it was 134/71. So not taking the pill today...will check on it again tomorrow. They haven't called about picking up my knives, so I'll thank them, and pick them up Monday.....go to the Scent shop, and I will find a place to have a good look at traffic on 85 North and South!!! Can't believe it was rebuilt this quickly...our Dept Of Transportation takes a lot of mostly deserved criticism but they've really stepped up to the plate on this one!!

I cooked something new and foreign today for lunch....ok, new to me only possibly..
    I made, and sliced, and pan fried wait for it....Grits! Saw a recipe last night while waiting for the little gymnast to arrive with family. It was for polenta,which I don't think I've ever eaten. So I googled...polenta vs grits...well, that's interesting...so this morning I cooked some cornmeal and pronounced it Grits...chilled it, sliced and fried it...(dry fry in ceramic skillet)...darn good! And that was 'seasonless'...add some extra's like herbs, or garlic or onion and it will be over the moon!

This dumb ankle is swollen and a bit uncomfortable to walk on... Guess I'll be seeing Dr. Pat early next week...and I may be in need to a Ortho Doc.... oh, I hope not.....

Still nice out at 81 degrees because of the breeze. So, I may go back outside for awhile. This time to truly pull weeks, as I did everything but weed this morning.

Later...
    going to do a test post to try Roger's Control Z and Alt + left arrow to see if that works on a Mac. I did go to the toolbar and looked under the edit menu..that was no help, so not sure if this will work. Let you know.........

From what I have seen Polenta and Grits are similar?
    Watching the cooking shows sometimes and I see that on Guys Grocery Games for example they can pick ready to use Bricks of Polenta to use.

Does that mean that traffic will now be back to normal ?
    Nope, nope, nopity nope....
    If its retrievable it will usually show under my Edit menu. Oh, well, if nothing else it was a nice reminder to pay attention to what I'm doing in the future!!

It was worth a try. I wonder if it would work in the Mac version of Firefox?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Here's a little meme I made while watching the (always) pokey Windows 10 update process...

1owuv5.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Hi Ed
    I usually see it show up as an option when I click the Start Button. Options to Update and shut down, options to Update and restart, and the other normal options as well. I usually choose update and shutdown and then turn the computer a little earlier than usual when I return from my walking. I just let it download in the background FWIW.

There seems to be a series of Big Ransomeware hacks based from what I saw on the leaked data from our own government, OOPs.
    We dropped Ariel off at about 7:30 and then had breakfast at a nearby (to the specialty vet) Hardee's which is a VERY rare treat for me, as there simply isn't one anywhere near where we live. Near as in...within a mile or two anyway...so as all the known Hardee's restaurants in the area are quite some distance from us, I am not going to take the trouble to drive for half an hour just to indulge.

Picked Ariel up, after going back to that area and having lunch at a nice little Indian place, just across a parking lot from the Hardee's, and brought her home to give her Prednisone and Mirtazapine and play "what does Ariel like today" and, amazingly, she was hungry enough to like some treats that she snubbed yesterday. Still working on finding a regular cat food she will eat during this interval. She CAN live on just treats, as the nutrition for those is about the same as normal cat food, but she can't live on Hairball control treats, though she loves them. Only a few of those per day or as many as 10 every other day so she has to eat something else.

We bought two bags of different recommended "smelly" dry cat foods and she seemed vaguely interested, and might eat some of one of those later. I've ordered the extra smelly version of her regular Royal Canin Urinary SO from PetCo (with the vet number for confirmation of prescription) and we'll see how she feels about this. The vet doesn't normally carry the extra smelly version so I figured I'd just order overnight from Petco. Just not sure when they'll actually send it...but they should email.

We may go broke buying different cat foods and treats before going broke paying for the chemo...

And I'm STILL waiting for this Windows 10 update to finish...

No Hardees near me, not even as near as the ones by You :)

Good Luck Finding tempting foods for Ariel.
    A friend just posted this one on FaceBook, and I don't really consider the meme to be political, per se, as I think whichever way you lean, one can see the humor here if one wishes to see it.

mysi0uc2xarh.jpg

Political? Hard to say... I do believe that She would have done it first thing and nobody would have said a word however. Oh was that Political ? :)
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,212 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday!

65 out there now with an expected high of 77, and 60% chance of precipitation.

Valerie, on my iMac, I find that if I can recover a started post here fairly easily if I haven't moved TOO far away...

I'm using Google Chrome for my browser.

Like right now, I'm typing. I'm going to click the "154" to see the previous page of posts. OH NO! I forgot I was typing in a post!

But...if I hit the back button once, before I go ANYWHERE else, what I was typing is still here!

I read the whole previous page and everything. So you MAY still be able to save a "lost" post if you haven't moved too far away from it.

J and I have the regional orchid judging to photograph today.

According to the news, the NORTHBOUND lanes are open since 7:00 or so last night. The southbound lanes are, as far as I know, still expected to open sometime tomorrow night, at the latest. But we'll see. Interstate things may soon be back to as normal as ...er... normal.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Saturday Morning.
    Overcast, 66 degrees, comfortable out side. Rain moving in about noon, for most of the afternoon, in the 70% area! Guess I'm going to get wet today. Driving to my son's, leaving with them to Nate's Band Concert! You should hear this! :) Naw, won't do that to you :).
    Then we're going out to eat Mother's Day dinner. So I'll be in the worst of it. Back to J&J's house, and I'll probably have a dry drive home. Its OK, we need the rain so badly.

Weekly backup done, Fitbit is charging, and lunch will be quick and easy, cat has eaten breakfast, and so have I... my morning is going well.

Poor Ariel...finding food that 'suits you when you're sick' is tough enough for humans, really difficult for our pets! I wish the best for Ariel and for your bank account! (Tom E. currently is sitting on top of the hen house, intently staring into the woods. Wonder what he'd do if he saw something??? In the old days the games/chase would be on...but no longer.

Really not too concerned about the blood pressure pills...not concerned enough to go see Little Doc... Now, that said a reasonable person, would go to their doc... but as long as I'm monitoring it and its not going over 150 I'm satisfied.

I won't be political, but, I am quite concerned about how things are going in DC. When you make nice with the country who'd like to own you, when you surround yourself with family advisors, appoint people to high offices who have no experience or background in their new position, and you scream 'fake news' make declarations with no explanations, (not to mention making directives your office does no allow you to make, and fire people who are investigating some of your issues........ just saying. I think if I was going to learn a foreign language right now, it would not be Spanish to communicate with others in this area, but I'd be learning Russian fast as my little brain would allow.
    I'll not mention all of this again...but I do believe we need to 'wake up', and recognize how we are being duped.

Guess I'll go read the rest of my mail, and get a chore or more done. Might want to hop into the shower and get clean now, in case the weather arrives early! LOL!!

OH>>>>>> I'm sure Ed knows, and Roger may have seen it on the news last night, but 85N is open...cars started rolling over it about 7-ish last night. Was a sight to see that happening again. 3.5M bonus, which the owner of the company says will go to his workers, who have been working 12 hour shifts for all these weeks. I haven't turned on TV today, but 85 South should be open or will open soon or maybe not until tomorrow. At any rate these folks deserve all the accolades they have been receiving these past few days. (also the free lunches....and I hope the folks thanking the workers have not forgotten a free meal etc. for the folks who work the 12 overnight hours.) Considering how long it takes to get road work done here in GA, and I'm guessing anywhere in the US well, this done in 6 weeks is a miracle!!

Probably out of pocket for the day....
    Later...

• GardenKatGardens
    Home...great day out. A little over and inch of rain while I was gone!, and some one cut my grass! (It really wasn't tall, and I'd trimmed with the weed wacker yesterday...but I owe somebody a big thanks...now I don't have to do it Monday!
    Eating a snack then heading for bed. Long, fun, busy day!
    Oh, and my Chico's M Day gift to myself was in the mailbox when I got home. And the donation to the local food bank, thru USPS had been picked up...noticed when I left this morning, I was the only one on the street who set a bag out. Sad.

Ed, will check out the back button next time I lose a post...I hope it works for Safari!
    Had to laugh at Roger pleading the 5th!!! Good answer!!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 7272 steps. The temperature this morning is 46 on the news channel and 48 degrees on the front porch. It seems that the rain moved out overnight. It was not too heavy, it was steady. The forecast busty winds never arrived in my area of the state.
    I wandered down and looked at the Brook which was running over its banks.
    I did not go as far as I might have liked, I had a poor nights sleep and then I overloaded my Backpack with fruits, Strawberries at $0.79, Blackberries at $.99, 8 Minneola/Tangelos at 4 for a $1 and some D'Anjou Pears.
    http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-minneola-tangelo.htm
    The Minneola tangelo is a specific hybrid citrus fruit that is made by crossing the Duncan or Bowen grapefruit and the “Darcy” variety of tangerine, also called a mandarin orange. The cross was developed by the United States Department of Agriculture, in Florida, and was first released for sale in 1931. The fruit combines the sweetness of the mandarin with the tart flavors of the grapefruit, and it is highly prized for its juiciness and combination of sweet/sour flavors.

Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 orange
    Amount Per Serving Calories from Fat 9, Calories 70
    % Daily Values*
    Total Fat 1g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Potassium 220mg
    Total Carbohydrate 13g 4%
    Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
    Sugars 11g
    Protein 1g

Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 100%
    Calcium 4% Iron 0%
    Then as the final Coup De Grace I picked up a quart of milk at the Dollar store on the way home. The Milk is only Good Until March 20, 2018 :)

I am leaving this in, just in case :)
    I was adjusting my upcoming in June order and noticed some new foods. The Breakfast Chocolate Chip Baked Bar
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10554740/chocolate-chip-baked-bar-150-calories-ready-to-eat#latest
    and for Lunch the Turkey Pot Pie Melt
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10554739/turkey-pot-pie-melt-frozen-200-calories/p1?new=1
    The Spinach and Cheese Pretzel Melt
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10554738/spinach-and-cheese-pretzel-melt-220-calories-frozen/p1?new=1
    and
    Creamy Beef Alfredo Add Water Cup 210 calories
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10554741/creamy-beef-alfredo-add-water-cup-210-calories/p1?new=1

Have a Great Sunday, Stay Dry
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Home...great day out. A little over and inch of rain while I was gone!, and some one cut my grass! (It really wasn't tall, and I'd trimmed with the weed wacker yesterday...but I owe somebody a big thanks...now I don't have to do it Monday!
    Eating a snack then heading for bed. Long, fun, busy day!
    Oh, and my Chico's M Day gift to myself was in the mailbox when I got home. And the donation to the local food bank, thru USPS had been picked up...noticed when I left this morning, I was the only one on the street who set a bag out. Sad.

Ed, will check out the back button next time I lose a post...I hope it works for Safari!
    Had to laugh at Roger pleading the 5th!!! Good answer!!

Later...

Hi Valerie
    We meant to put things on the closed in Porch with a note on the mailbox due to the rain and it slipped our mind until watching the 5PM news and the mail was delivered around 3:20PM, Oops :(

However we can drop things off at the Library on the table for that by the entrance and exit doors.

Curious, What is Chico's ?
    I ordered a stretchy belt for myself from Amazon as they were so much cheaper than locally available ones. That is for use with the Pants/Shorts I wear around the house. I also ordered a outdoor Mechanical type Thermometer for outside the dining room window to replace the old one where the plastic on it failed and it fell to the ground.

I know You, Ed and the rest of the Atlanta people must be ecstatic the highway is done early.

Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday!

65 out there now with an expected high of 77, and 60% chance of precipitation.

Valerie, on my iMac, I find that if I can recover a started post here fairly easily if I haven't moved TOO far away...

I'm using Google Chrome for my browser.

Like right now, I'm typing. I'm going to click the "154" to see the previous page of posts. OH NO! I forgot I was typing in a post!

But...if I hit the back button once, before I go ANYWHERE else, what I was typing is still here!

I read the whole previous page and everything. So you MAY still be able to save a "lost" post if you haven't moved too far away from it.

J and I have the regional orchid judging to photograph today.

According to the news, the NORTHBOUND lanes are open since 7:00 or so last night. The southbound lanes are, as far as I know, still expected to open sometime tomorrow night, at the latest. But we'll see. Interstate things may soon be back to as normal as ...er... normal.
    Hi Ed
    I should have mentioned the back button too. It usually works very nicely :)

I hope the Judging went well and You got great Photographs.

Good Suggestion
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

72 out there now looking to a sunny high of 85!

They opened the other side of 85 yesterday afternoon, while we were out and about. Atlanta is repaired!

I've been up for a while now, but distracted by little old things like giving Ariel her pills, eating food, feeding Lilo, clearing the sink, and maybe just a little bit of internet...

Sipping tea now, first cup.

I think I might get out to the store this afternoon.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Val, I did not put a bag of stuff out by my mailbox, but our mailbox is down the hill and out of site and I have my doubts about whether it would have lasted until the mailman came, as someone would have just grabbed it or it would have disintegrated in the driving rain that came through in the afternoon. While it could, certainly, be thought that anyone who stole the package really needed it, from what I've read, all too often the people who steal the most don't actually need what they steal and could easily afford to pay for it.

When in our first house, in Memphis, our mail was at the door, and in the second, it was in plain sight through the front window and only a few steps from the house. I was usually home on Saturday and could watch for the mailman to start coming around the neighborhood (delivery time was reasonably consistent) and not put the donation out until just before his/her arrival.

In the first house, I used to "donate" a bottle of cold water to the postal carrier on hot summer days too, either as the mail was delivered or by putting one in the wall mailbox's magazine rack, at the bottom of the mailbox, when I saw delivery was just a couple houses away. The first house was a "walking" mail delivery, where they parked, walked a segment, both sides, then drove a bit further down, parked, walked, etc. Those carriers got their exercise for sure!

Memphis also often had the mailman put the bag in the box, for us to use, or a walking volunteer would put it on/at the front door, and in either case they'd just ask us to fill the bag and put it on the front porch or front stoop or, if a plastic one, hang it on the exterior door knob. This was a bit more secure (well, hopefully) from wandering grabbers, and generally less likely to be disintegrated by weather, and then the volunteers would come and collect them on the specified day, rather than the postal carrier trying to deliver mail AND pick up donations.

I applaud people's ideas that make it easier for a donor to donate, as they might get a few more donations that way, and every donation helps, but honestly think that people who really want to donate will find a way to do it regardless and the ones most likely to fill that bag are the ones who would be donating anyway, by putting cans in boxes at the grocery, or taking them to the fire stations.

In Memphis, several times a year, the fire stations would be available to accept the donations with volunteers (yes, I did) sorting and boxing the good donations and ... disposing... of those too damaged or clearly dangerous that well meaning (OK, I'm trying to be nice) or kitten cheap people would drop by to feel righteous and claim generosity. This gave people a relatively convenient location for donating, and left the firemen free to go about their regular duties without being additionally burdened by sorting and boxing the donations, as we volunteers took care of all that, and otherwise just tried to keep everything out of the way, so that if the firemen suddenly had to take off, we wouldn't hinder that.

I well remember one Saturday that some beady eyed guy brought what seemed to be a nice bag of donations that turned out to be composed entirely of rusty, deeply dented, and/or SWOLLEN, clearly not safe to eat, canned goods that we politely thanked him for and, as soon as he was out of sight, dropped into the nearest garbage can. That was some of the "sorting" we had to do, and we always made sure everything went into the right boxes, even if that 'box" ended up being the garbage can. At the end of the day, the food bank would come around with a big truck and collect all the boxes, and the volunteers would either disperse or, if a lot of them knew each other anyway, might go out for a meal together and call it a day. Ok, yes, that meal might include some drinks that didn't have all that much water in them. ;)

Needless to say, we do donate still, in ways that, we hope, are less dependent on the honesty of passing strangers and/or the weather.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    Well, I guess Val was too busy enjoying Mothers Day to post, or her post got eaten again . :)
  • GardenKatGardens
    nope, nope, nopity nope! It was as gone as gone can be! So, time to paste...

Good Late Afternoon, Val did the Mothers Day thing yesterday, and no I had not posted.
    Just hadn't spent any time on the computer after breakfast!

Spent my day outside in the yard doing the kinds of little chores that are not only easy to do, but make the yard look nice, like deadheading my rose bushes, and yes I did pull maybe a dozen weeds/blackberry sprouts, etc. I enjoy doing that, and neighbors sometimes stop to chat, and sometimes even the neighbors kids come into the yard to say Hi!

Saturday I double bagged my food donations and set them under the mailbox, with the flag up...I wasn't home when the mail ran, so I only hope the mailman got the donation, or if stollen it was someone who did need the couple cans of soup, several cans of beans, 2 kinds of cold cereal, and a pound box of Oatmeal.... I used to put the items IN the mailbox, and If I happen to see Greg tomorrow I'll ask if he picked up my bag...Don't even know he ran the route on Saturday. :)

I'm heading to the kitchen...I have a culinary confession before I go...
    This morning I tried something I'd read...and 'fried' oil free, some purchased fresh (not frozen) shredded potatoes, along with a little salt and pepper, a dab of thyme, and about half an onion that I thinly sliced, in my old George Foreman! Next time I'll probably do it a little differently :). Although the end product, 'Fried Hash Browns' was tasty and I ate every bite.

Have a call in to my chiro...this ankle is not like it should be...and I have something out of whack with my mid back.... Tell ya, you gotta be a strong person to dare to get old!!! :)

Later...
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2017
    CTUqd6.jpg
    That Looks like a Lian Li Aluminum Case/ FWIW I had the same one :)

30tQlu.gif

NujCJO.jpg

BLjceT.gif

hkzBgw.jpg

wtoxJF.gif
    I'm not sure how this was done
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 4000 steps + 2 cents. The temperature this morning is 55 on the news channel and 53 degrees on the front porch. Yesterday it was a great looking morning, then around 2PM there was a thunderstorm and a brief downpour of rain arrived. Then the Sun came back out for a while and later on there was more rain and small hail.
    I did not go as far as usual, I dressed for the temperature and after I was out the door it started feeling cold due to a breeze :)

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday!

72 out there now looking to a sunny high of 85!

They opened the other side of 85 yesterday afternoon, while we were out and about. Atlanta is repaired!

I've been up for a while now, but distracted by little old things like giving Ariel her pills, eating food, feeding Lilo, clearing the sink, and maybe just a little bit of internet...

Sipping tea now, first cup.

I think I might get out to the store this afternoon.
    Hi Ed
    Only a Little Bit of Internet? :)

I just renewed my Norton Security Subscription in the Software. I buy ahead of time when NewEgg runs a low priced special on it and when the subscription is almost run out then I pull out the Box and use the new Product key. Right now I am using the 5 device version which will cover this computer, the Basement computer and my brothers computer and a laptop. I think I paid $19.99 for these and I have two more on the shelf waiting for the next two years.

Norton has one bad habit IMO. They start prompting to renew it way ahead of time and if I were silly enough to do that they do not add any days left on the old one to the new one. Other than that I do like the protection it gives. I have had it save me more than once when I search the Internet for something. A recent search for example would be for a 5.25: 1.2Mb USB external floppy drive.

Sadly we appear to be headed for several days of 80+ weather in the upcoming week and I remember seeing where on day would be near 90 degrees, Too Soon.
    Val, I did not put a bag of stuff out by my mailbox, but our mailbox is down the hill and out of site and I have my doubts about whether it would have lasted until the mailman came, as someone would have just grabbed it or it would have disintegrated in the driving rain that came through in the afternoon. While it could, certainly, be thought that anyone who stole the package really needed it, from what I've read, all too often the people who steal the most don't actually need what they steal and could easily afford to pay for it.

When in our first house, in Memphis, our mail was at the door, and in the second, it was in plain sight through the front window and only a few steps from the house. I was usually home on Saturday and could watch for the mailman to start coming around the neighborhood (delivery time was reasonably consistent) and not put the donation out until just before his/her arrival.

In the first house, I used to "donate" a bottle of cold water to the postal carrier on hot summer days too, either as the mail was delivered or by putting one in the wall mailbox's magazine rack, at the bottom of the mailbox, when I saw delivery was just a couple houses away. The first house was a "walking" mail delivery, where they parked, walked a segment, both sides, then drove a bit further down, parked, walked, etc. Those carriers got their exercise for sure!

Memphis also often had the mailman put the bag in the box, for us to use, or a walking volunteer would put it on/at the front door, and in either case they'd just ask us to fill the bag and put it on the front porch or front stoop or, if a plastic one, hang it on the exterior door knob. This was a bit more secure (well, hopefully) from wandering grabbers, and generally less likely to be disintegrated by weather, and then the volunteers would come and collect them on the specified day, rather than the postal carrier trying to deliver mail AND pick up donations.

I applaud people's ideas that make it easier for a donor to donate, as they might get a few more donations that way, and every donation helps, but honestly think that people who really want to donate will find a way to do it regardless and the ones most likely to fill that bag are the ones who would be donating anyway, by putting cans in boxes at the grocery, or taking them to the fire stations.

In Memphis, several times a year, the fire stations would be available to accept the donations with volunteers (yes, I did) sorting and boxing the good donations and ... disposing... of those too damaged or clearly dangerous that well meaning (OK, I'm trying to be nice) or kitten cheap people would drop by to feel righteous and claim generosity. This gave people a relatively convenient location for donating, and left the firemen free to go about their regular duties without being additionally burdened by sorting and boxing the donations, as we volunteers took care of all that, and otherwise just tried to keep everything out of the way, so that if the firemen suddenly had to take off, we wouldn't hinder that.

I well remember one Saturday that some beady eyed guy brought what seemed to be a nice bag of donations that turned out to be composed entirely of rusty, deeply dented, and/or SWOLLEN, clearly not safe to eat, canned goods that we politely thanked him for and, as soon as he was out of sight, dropped into the nearest garbage can. That was some of the "sorting" we had to do, and we always made sure everything went into the right boxes, even if that 'box" ended up being the garbage can. At the end of the day, the food bank would come around with a big truck and collect all the boxes, and the volunteers would either disperse or, if a lot of them knew each other anyway, might go out for a meal together and call it a day. Ok, yes, that meal might include some drinks that didn't have all that much water in them. ;)

Needless to say, we do donate still, in ways that, we hope, are less dependent on the honesty of passing strangers and/or the weather.
    We have offered Cold water bottles from the refrigerator to the Mailman, Meter reader etc in the past.

It makes a person wonder sometimes. I had some old expired, likely safe to eat cans of Corn and cans of peas that it never occurred to me to donate, instead I open one at a time and drain the fluid, put the contents in the garbage the day it goes to the curb and recycle the can. My bad wasting the food by not catching it in time to donate it.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    nope, nope, nopity nope! It was as gone as gone can be! So, time to paste...

Good Late Afternoon, Val did the Mothers Day thing yesterday, and no I had not posted.
    Just hadn't spent any time on the computer after breakfast!

Spent my day outside in the yard doing the kinds of little chores that are not only easy to do, but make the yard look nice, like deadheading my rose bushes, and yes I did pull maybe a dozen weeds/blackberry sprouts, etc. I enjoy doing that, and neighbors sometimes stop to chat, and sometimes even the neighbors kids come into the yard to say Hi!

Saturday I double bagged my food donations and set them under the mailbox, with the flag up...I wasn't home when the mail ran, so I only hope the mailman got the donation, or if stollen it was someone who did need the couple cans of soup, several cans of beans, 2 kinds of cold cereal, and a pound box of Oatmeal.... I used to put the items IN the mailbox, and If I happen to see Greg tomorrow I'll ask if he picked up my bag...Don't even know he ran the route on Saturday. :)

I'm heading to the kitchen...I have a culinary confession before I go...
    This morning I tried something I'd read...and 'fried' oil free, some purchased fresh (not frozen) shredded potatoes, along with a little salt and pepper, a dab of thyme, and about half an onion that I thinly sliced, in my old George Foreman! Next time I'll probably do it a little differently :). Although the end product, 'Fried Hash Browns' was tasty and I ate every bite.

Have a call in to my chiro...this ankle is not like it should be...and I have something out of whack with my mid back.... Tell ya, you gotta be a strong person to dare to get old!!! :)

Later...

Hi Valerie
    I see lots of Flower buds on the Blackberry Bush and the early Raspberry plants :) Yea!

If I am understanding it You bought the Potatoes pre-shredded? My Brother uses a Box Grater if he makes them.
    They sound delicious too. Down darn cravings, down :)

Good Luck at the Chiro
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

72 out there now looking toward a sunny high of 89! Summer is here.

Sink cleared.

J and I have made Ariel eat a little bit of diluted canned cat food. She didn't struggle too much and I think she actually liked it, but she still wasn't interested in eating more gruel from the bowl herself. We'll inject another small vial of it into the back of her mouth a bit later. Don't want to give her too much at once.

We did get out to the store yesterday and stopped, while out, for a quick Taco Bell meal. The new naked chicken chips...er, can we say naked here?...are interesting. I don't think they'll be a keeper for Taco Bell though. They come with nacho sauce for dipping and are basically triangular chip shaped, breaded, fried thin bits of over-processed chicken.

Now I don't MIND chicken with cheese, but don't generally select cheese on a chicken sandwich. If it comes with it and I forget to ask them to leave it off, no big deal. I like cheese and it's OK on chicken, just not my usual choice. I think a ranch dip would have been nicer than the nacho cheese, but I don't expect to see that at Taco Bell. This was NOT a Kentucky Fried Taco Bell, so ranch sauce would have been a surprise.

Well, off to internet some more. But here's a song for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=zvfD5rnkTws
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning...even if it is Monday. Since none of us are drawing a salary...does it matter?

Chiro called and they can see me at 2:30...so that will be good. Sitting with my ankle in a bucket of cold Epsom Salts water. It was not particularly hurtful this morning, but as I move around a bit, it will become uncomfortable..trying to get ahead of the curve.

I have a box grater, hmmmm, wonder where I put it??? I wasn't at all sure I could use the Foreman to make decent hash browns, so I took the easy way out! Next time will most likely grate my own potato. :)

So, pick up knives and go to the scent shop at Ansley Mall, then drive back to Ponce, and make a quick scan of the hot bar...hoping to find a steamed veg and some chicken fried Tofu, driving a bit farther down Ponce to Decatur and my Chiro...finally to home. I'm thinking about 4 hours of my day :)

Roger, just to tease you a bit....I have pinkish small black berries on the bushes that I didn't pull!!! Just a few more weeks!!!! (you will have ripe berries close to the 4th of July..that's when our blackberry patch was prime ripe in MO...and also 95 - 100 degrees.)

Ed, hope Ariel has found her appetite by this morning. I can't imagine trying to 'force feed' Tom E. or force anything else for that matter. He's too quick with the bite or the claws. I'd come back looking like I'd been in combat and lost!!!

Ok, shower time and then out the door, Oh, notification...pop up said Ed had posted..

THEN I'll go shower!!

Later...

• GardenKatGardens
    I love Weird Al...:) song very appropriate right now, unfortunately...
  • parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    We have offered Cold water bottles from the refrigerator to the Mailman, Meter reader etc in the past.

It makes a person wonder sometimes. I had some old expired, likely safe to eat cans of Corn and cans of peas that it never occurred to me to donate, instead I open one at a time and drain the fluid, put the contents in the garbage the day it goes to the curb and recycle the can. My bad wasting the food by not catching it in time to donate it.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Actually, I don't worry much about the dates on canned food, unless the can is obviously swollen, or leaking, or the food looks/smells bad when opened. Most canned goods can be kept well past the "sell by" or "best by" dates.

Also true for shelf stable foods like the Nutrisystem stuff. Now I wouldn't necessarily trust it several YEARS past the date, but several months, sometimes even a year or slightly more, depending on just what it is. Before I actually joined NS I tried it out buying a bunch of marked down, remaindered NS food at Big Lots, to see if maybe I actually liked the stuff before making the big plunge. Most of that was technically past the "sell by", "best by", "use by" date, but only by 6 months or less. Trying those was enough for me to be willing to run the program for a while, and I have to say the program does work, but can get rather boring for a chef like Eduardo, even fixing things up as much as possible with all the add-ons and whatever spices are available. Once I learned the basic stats for a meal, it wasn't to difficult to start making them on my own, and I could see NS actually drifting away from their own stats with some of the newer foods, in order to provide tastier alternatives for some. Especially in the snack/dessert line.

I've used canned curry paste that was over a year past the "best by" date and it was fine. I think common sense and a good sense of smell can usually suffice to make the decision.

And, of course, err on the side of caution. If it looks/smells off or anything, toss and move on. The garbage disposal isn't going to get sick from eating it.