Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I have walked 4300 Steps during the morning walk. The temperature this morning is 48 on the news channel and 52 degrees on the front porch. It is a great looking morning. It is somewhat cooler compared to yesterday.

You may be wondering why only 4300 steps today. Later on more Yard work , using the materials picked up at Home Depot.

I did mow the lawn and attempt the run to UPS, I could have sworn that they were open on Saturday, I was also wrong :) That mowing and work in the garden give me my exercise for the day as well as 10.8K steps for the entire day.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning. Soggy Sunday!
    Monsoon! Hurricane! Flickering lights, Driveway ponding, It was an epic summer storm! Dumped an inch of rain in maybe 20 minutes...and this morning there is another ¾ inch in my rain gauge! I don't know if the overnight rain was as violent as the afternoon storm or not as I peacefully slept thru it! and no pine trees fell into my bed. :)

Jack coming by today after church and bringing the munchkins. I'm holding my breath. Tomorrow is Olivia's 13th birthday, (a teenager in the family already), and I'm giving her her birthday gifts. She loves her American Girl dolls, or I should say she loves using them to make 'movies'. There is a whole cult of these on Utube. So, she has been trying to sew, hand stitching, and she was thrilled when I gave her the knit cotton tubing left over from when I broke my thumb. So, I waited until Costco had a sale on sewing machines, ordered one. And then I picked up the essentials, like good sharp shears, threads, and other notions. Giving her my sewing basket to keep all the notions in, etc. This is either going to thrill her to spasms of happiness or I'll get that WT__??? look teens are so well known for! LOL!!! Her Dad and I think she's going to be uber excited. Fingers crossed, holding breath, hopeful,..... :)

Dishwasher going, and thinking about starting a grocery list for Monday? I never did get to the grocery last week. Probably a good idea if I do that early in the week. I checked, I still like eating! Actually Alexa will keep a list for me, I just have never used that 'skill'. I really should get into the habit of doing that, as it would be helpful for remembering those little items that I see I need as I'm cooking etc. and unlike jotting it down, I won't need to wash my hands, and write it...just talk to Alexa.

Ok, pop up says Roger just posted...will check it out!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Hey, How's your Saturday???
    I've been up, breakfasted, out, A1C tested, roamed around Costco for a bit, now home, and thinking about lunch!
    My step count Roger is less than 3000, so when my foot comes out of this soak, and I have food in front of me, I intend to take an Aleve! Enough is enough. Then, deadhead the rose bush at the driveway, and maybe start on cutting back some of the ivy from my neighbors yard. Have I mentioned lately that I hate English Ivy??? :)
    Hi Valerie
    How do You get Your A1C tested while You wait ? That is my interpretation of what You are saying :)

My brother hates the Ivy too. It seems that the Sunchokes tend to be invasive too :( I was out front weeding them from where they were last year, My Brother decided that they were shading the roses too much last year so I think I will plant them in the back yard where they won't be a problem.
    The concert last night was really nice. And a little sad, the lady who's handled this program for the past 2 years is retiring from teaching (29 years), end of this school year. She is so good with those kids. Olivia declined to do her gymnastic back flippy things...(that is not a technical term, and no, you can't Google it!) I think she's a little shy that way. There were several girls who did participate and I was surprised that O didn't, as she was every bit as good, (better in Grammie eyes) than those who did...maybe next year she'll consider doing it.

Rain tomorrow, its ok, we need it...we need decent rain about every 3 nights for the summer to make up the lake deficit. Arg.

Glad you got your walking pants cleaned, and that your outside temp was comfortable this morning.

Ok, getting hungry, and well past time for foot to vacate the water bath!

Later...

I'm glad You enjoyed the concert. We have rain in the forecast for tomorrow too. Currently the weather radar is showing it out west of us heading our way.

I ended up wearing gloves and a sweatshirt today. I was OK with that when combined with the walking shorts version of the walking pants.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

P.S. I just saw a pop up that You had posted, off to see what You said :)
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,207 Member
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 67 out there now and looking kind of dreary. Looking for a high of 78 with 50% chance of rain.

Sink is cleared, and at some point I need to get the garbage and recycles to the curb for tomorrow.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    Good Morning. Soggy Sunday!
    Monsoon! Hurricane! Flickering lights, Driveway ponding, It was an epic summer storm! Dumped an inch of rain in maybe 20 minutes...and this morning there is another ¾ inch in my rain gauge! I don't know if the overnight rain was as violent as the afternoon storm or not as I peacefully slept thru it! and no pine trees fell into my bed. :)

Jack coming by today after church and bringing the munchkins. I'm holding my breath. Tomorrow is Olivia's 13th birthday, (a teenager in the family already), and I'm giving her her birthday gifts. She loves her American Girl dolls, or I should say she loves using them to make 'movies'. There is a whole cult of these on Utube. So, she has been trying to sew, hand stitching, and she was thrilled when I gave her the knit cotton tubing left over from when I broke my thumb. So, I waited until Costco had a sale on sewing machines, ordered one. And then I picked up the essentials, like good sharp shears, threads, and other notions. Giving her my sewing basket to keep all the notions in, etc. This is either going to thrill her to spasms of happiness or I'll get that WT__??? look teens are so well known for! LOL!!! Her Dad and I think she's going to be uber excited. Fingers crossed, holding breath, hopeful,..... :)

Dishwasher going, and thinking about starting a grocery list for Monday? I never did get to the grocery last week. Probably a good idea if I do that early in the week. I checked, I still like eating! Actually Alexa will keep a list for me, I just have never used that 'skill'. I really should get into the habit of doing that, as it would be helpful for remembering those little items that I see I need as I'm cooking etc. and unlike jotting it down, I won't need to wash my hands, and write it...just talk to Alexa.

Ok, pop up says Roger just posted...will check it out!

Later...

Hi Again
    Well You did say You wanted rain :)

I suspect She will like it too. And learn a useful skill too.

I hope Any questions were answered by my post and enjoy the humor too.
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Roger, some doctor's offices use a kit similar to the ones available at drug stores for a quick A1c reading but most send that out and you get it back in a couple of days. I've used one from Walgreens and my doctor and I compared. It was actually pretty close to the reading the doctor got from sending it off! Close enough, in fact, that the difference was within what I think of as that "plus or minus" that you kind of get in any test.

• parityanimal
    There was a cereal called Sugar Chex? I guess we missed that one when I was a kid...would have loved to try it, I'm sure! Just one of the items advertised in these surreal old commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQmku8z44W8
  • RogerToo
    w9Oyt7.jpg
    So True

5vdTJw.jpg
    And it isn't even a good looking one

Tq4tjQ.jpg

e6lzLe.jpg

uWOOxl.jpg

MMGp1P.jpg
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2017
    Hi
    I walked 6630 Steps + 1 beat up penny that was laying in the crossing of a street :) during the morning walk. The temperature this morning is 55 on the news channel and 55 degrees on the front porch. It is a gloom looking morning and it rained overnight with more in the forecast for later on today. I was lucky to get out in between the overnight rain and what is on the way.
    I dropped off Five things in the slot in the Post Office before picking up my coffee and I did wear my rain jacket, just in case :)

More Yard work tomorrow and then more rain in the forecast for Wednesday :(

In the weird news department, From Here with more details:
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/18/dunkin-donuts-drive-thru-window-shot-over-a-sandwich/
    BROCKTON (CBS) – A dispute over a sandwich at a Brockton Dunkin’ Donuts led to an argument and the shots.

A carload of teenagers Thursday drove up to the window in the drive-thru and argued about their order with a worker.

A manager was called, but tempers flared and the driver leaned out of the car and punched the manager in the face.
    #brockton #dunkindonuts manager says teen got mad over sandwich shot bb's into drive thru windows #wbz pic.twitter.com/tMP87EYD09

And http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/05/19/oroville-school-covered-in-dead-fish/
    School Suddenly Finds Itself Covered In Dead Fish In Middle Of The Day – And No One Knows Why
    OROVILLE (CBS13) – Something fishy happened this week at Stanford Avenue Elementary School in Oroville.

A typical Tuesday took a turn for the weird just before noon when the campus was suddenly covered in dead fish.

They were everywhere, all over the playground, in drinking fountains – and as one custodian discovered, even on the roof.

School officials aren’t sure if it was some kind of prank or if it really rained fish.
    More details by following the Link
    And
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2017/05/19/woman-slugs-masked-gunman-tried-take-nike-high-tops-robbery-near-school
    Woman slugs masked armed robber who tried to take her Nike high-tops
    woman threw several punches at a masked gunman who robbed her near a school in west Oak Cliff on Thursday morning.

Michelle Martinez told WFAA-TV (Channel 8) that after dropping off medicine for her young son at a Cowart Elementary School portable, a gray four-door Kia parked along a curb near her.

The passenger approached her wearing a ski mask, Dallas police spokeswoman Diana Flores said.
    Snipped
    She told him she didn't have any. The robber then patted her down and found $200 and her cellphone, which he smashed on the ground.

He yelled, "I thought you didn't have nothing," according to a Facebook post written by Martinez's husband, Eli Montoya.

The Kia driver then told the gunman to take her expensive Nike high-top shoes, WFAA reports.

"When he said 'her shoes,' I started punching him in the face," Martinez said. "I punched him probably like four times. I was like, I'm going to get some licks after him. I'm gonna let him feel a little pain. I might be a female, but females know how to hit, too."

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Roger, some doctor's offices use a kit similar to the ones available at drug stores for a quick A1c reading but most send that out and you get it back in a couple of days. I've used one from Walgreens and my doctor and I compared. It was actually pretty close to the reading the doctor got from sending it off! Close enough, in fact, that the difference was within what I think of as that "plus or minus" that you kind of get in any test.
    Hi Ed
    I do use Rice Chex and Wheat Chex in my breakfasts depending on which one I replaced the other one with once I use it up. I rotate through 7 different cereals when I am eating cereal, and once I have gone through the rotation if I have opened milk left then I start over until the milk is used up and then I switch to hot NS breakfasts and Blueberry Waffles and Blueberry Pancakes from the dollar store. At $1 for three servings they are economical and so is the $1 a quart that can sit on the Pantry shelf until needed and then when opened into the refrigerator :)

Thank You for that information. I never knew :) I should look into them, I wonder if they would be cheaper on Amazon ?
    Roger

Hi Valerie
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

77 out there now looking to a high of only 79 with 60% chance of rain.

J is back (arrived at 5:36 this morning and rang the bell - didn't bring his keys with him) and I then slept in until nearly 9:15, aside from letting Lilo out of the bedroom at 5 until 7.

Need to get to Publix to pick up a couple of prescriptions and to the vet for some cat food.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Monday it is! Good Morning!
    Cat's eaten his breakfast. I've iced my foot, and have just about finished my morning cup of half caff (pseudo coffee!!).
    The A1c was a rapid A1c, finger poke and transfer a drop of blood to a waiting part of the kit, insert into the reader, wait 5 minutes and got results. Costco went a step farther, and had a nurses station, so you could discuss your results. I was impressed with the whole set up. I'm not diabetic, but have been eating quite a lot of carbs this month, (and contrary to what you're thinking, I've lost 9 pounds doing that.), but I wanted to see if the carb-y overload was being processed normally. Appears as it was/is. Same reading that I got at the Doc's last annual check up. Happy about all of the above. :)

Yesterday was a success! Olivia was so happy. These new sewing machines work the same essentially, but differently than my old one (51 yrs old), and my Mom's, the ones at school, etc. There was a major learning curve! She loved all the stitches it made, and tried many of them on the piece of heavier weight fabric that I got for just that purpose. She got my old, but still quite nice, (read not very often used) sewing box, and Nate was threatened with his life if he ever used her fabric scissors to cut paper. (It dulls them quickly...so he got the same lecture my boys got when they were his age, and I caught them cutting up paper)...She seemed to like the purse kit, which I will return to her on Thursday when I go out there to help her along with learning to sew. I bought her a very simple starter book, but her face told me she'd probably never use it. LOL!!! etc, etc.... We worked with the machine for about 3 hours, she and I were both exhausted. It was time to quit.

I don't remember frosted Chex mix either... I do remember making batches of Chex Mix in the oven. Usually sent a still warm batch home with a home for the weekend college student so he'd have dorm room snacks. I think most were eaten as they drove home though! :)

The 'garden path' of TV's is sorta creepy??? I don't think I'd like walking down that lane! Weird.
    And I loved the 'Escher like' cartoon with he wood blocks and pens. It took me a second to realize what I was actually seeing! I've always loved Escher prints.

Ok, time to go scout the kitchen for either some fruit or some green or yellow veggies to put with my brown rice for breakfast. Then pull myself together, and make a run to Whole Foods for some sushi rolls. They make them at my Publix, but after eating them several times and being put off by some 'off' taste I decided not to eat sushi from there any more. I can't identify what it is, but 'something' does't taste right... And the nice part about buying it at WF, they have pre-made, and they will make to order...so I always know I can have fish free sushi, and that any of their sushi is FRESH...
    Also a trip to the gym would be nice......, and that's my day!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    I made it out to the vet, Publix, and then Walgreens too, where I picked up some (hopefully) smelly types of canned food for Ariel, to rotate with the two kinds I bought at the vet. She is still telling me when she's hungry, which is good, but then looking at the food, usually, and indicating NOPE all too often. So I'm still spoon feeding (when I feel up to forcing more solid canned food into her) and syringe feeding (making a thick, but soupy, gruel from the canned food) with some new, better feeding syringes I found on Amazon. The new syringes make it a pretty quick task to actually get 10 ml at a time of food into her, always followed by a treat, so she won't try to kill me in my sleep.

And there seems to be a rotating, very small, variety of two or three cat treats (about the same nutrition as dry cat food) that she'll sometimes go for. Yesterday, for example, her dinner was a decently good handful of Aldi brand tuna flavored treats, broken in half so that she could smell them better. Today she hasn't eaten yet but I intend to open a can of fish flavored paté for her to try and if she doesn't eat it voluntarily, then it's spoon feed or gruel time. One way or another she'll eat some food today. And hopefully I won't get too scratched up by her mad scramble away from me when done...though she immediately comes back to me for her treat.

• parityanimal
    British desserts and video games. Strange combination of discussion items for this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omL1JE7iGhM
  • parityanimal
    Ariel "liked" the whitefish and tuna canned cat food at lunch enough that I got almost 1/4 can into her before she escaped the purrito I had fasioned from a towel. I think that means she liked it...she's eating more of this can later. LOL.
  • parityanimal
    Update: Bwahahaha! Ariel ate the rest of what was in the bowl, and then some, so barring a few bites left in the bowl, she has had nearly half a 5.5 oz. can of cat food today. I think I can probably get those last few bites into her before bedtime.

If it's all she's eating, she should be eating at least a whole can per day, but it may take a while for us to work up to that much, if we can...(can, get it? CAN. I made a pun there...)

• RogerToo
    VCctxO.jpg
    Hows that ?)

g1RVPu.gif
    Yup, that's me

YQ4hc8.gif

DG7RUT.gif

MJsG8A.gif

H1YIgu.gif
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I walked 5330 Steps during the morning walk. The temperature this morning is 57 on the news channel and 57 degrees on the front porch. It is a cloudy looking morning and it rained lightly overnight. The plan for today is to get the rest of my walking and exercise doing more yard work. We need to make a run to the recycle yard. More rain in the forecast for Wednesday :(

As I was heading out the door there were two walking appetites AKA Deer trotting down the street in front of the house. That confirmed my suspicions of what had been in the yard nibbling the Lillies in the back yard. One ended up as a mostly bare stem with the flower budds gone. We put a wire cage around the other two and hopefully that will do the job of protecting them.

That was sad news last night about the bombing in Manchester England :(
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/may/22/manchester-arena-ariana-grande-concert-explosion-england
    Manchester Arena: police arrest 23-year-old man in connection with bombing that killed 22 – latest
    Details by following the link.

In the weird news department, From Here with more details:
    Memphis couple unwittingly traveled 14 miles on Interstate with sleeping drunk on the trunk
    http://whnt.com/2017/05/21/memphis-couple-unwittingly-traveled-14-miles-on-interstate-with-sleeping-drunk-on-the-trunk/
    MEMPHIS, Tenn. – It’s a story almost too strange to be true.
    A drunk man passes out and goes for a ride on the trunk of a stranger’s car down a busy Memphis interstate, and neither the drunk man nor the driver knew it.
    It’s amazing this man didn’t fall off the car and get run over.
    He is lucky to say the least. The man crawled up on the back of the car with a trunk that’s only about 14 inches wide.
    He was apparently curled up and passed out. Thankfully an MPD officer spotted him, but not before he went on a ride that he doesn’t remember; a ride the driver will never forget.

More details by following the Link
    And
    Wife makes dress out of Starburst wrappers her husband gave her over four years
    http://www.wpxi.com/news/pennsylvania/wife-makes-dress-out-of-starburst-wrappers-her-husband-gave-her-over-four-years/524357984
    ELIZABETHTOWN, Pa. (AP) - A Pennsylvania woman has made a dress from more than 10,000 Starburst candy wrappers given to her by her high school sweetheart-turned-husband.

Emily Seilhamer is an artist and upcycler - meaning she recycles items by creating new things out of them.

The Mount Joy Township woman posted a picture of her dress last week on her Facebook page , Artistry and Upcycling by Emily Seilhamer.

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Monday it is! Good Morning!
    Cat's eaten his breakfast. I've iced my foot, and have just about finished my morning cup of half caff (pseudo coffee!!).
    The A1c was a rapid A1c, finger poke and transfer a drop of blood to a waiting part of the kit, insert into the reader, wait 5 minutes and got results. Costco went a step farther, and had a nurses station, so you could discuss your results. I was impressed with the whole set up. I'm not diabetic, but have been eating quite a lot of carbs this month, (and contrary to what you're thinking, I've lost 9 pounds doing that.), but I wanted to see if the carb-y overload was being processed normally. Appears as it was/is. Same reading that I got at the Doc's last annual check up. Happy about all of the above. :)
    Hi Valerie
    That is good news, I have been having much A1C since I went on NS, I am curious how it is right now that I have had some sweets as treats recently, They do cause me to retain water so I am wondering...
    Yesterday was a success! Olivia was so happy. These new sewing machines work the same essentially, but differently than my old one (51 yrs old), and my Mom's, the ones at school, etc. There was a major learning curve! She loved all the stitches it made, and tried many of them on the piece of heavier weight fabric that I got for just that purpose. She got my old, but still quite nice, (read not very often used) sewing box, and Nate was threatened with his life if he ever used her fabric scissors to cut paper. (It dulls them quickly...so he got the same lecture my boys got when they were his age, and I caught them cutting up paper)...She seemed to like the purse kit, which I will return to her on Thursday when I go out there to help her along with learning to sew. I bought her a very simple starter book, but her face told me she'd probably never use it. LOL!!! etc, etc.... We worked with the machine for about 3 hours, she and I were both exhausted. It was time to quit.
    That was really nice of You to spend 3 hours with her too.
    I suspect that even though it is 51 years old the old sewing machine still works fine.
    I don't remember frosted Chex mix either... I do remember making batches of Chex Mix in the oven. Usually sent a still warm batch home with a home for the weekend college student so he'd have dorm room snacks. I think most were eaten as they drove home though! :)

The 'garden path' of TV's is sorta creepy??? I don't think I'd like walking down that lane! Weird.
    And I loved the 'Escher like' cartoon with he wood blocks and pens. It took me a second to realize what I was actually seeing! I've always loved Escher prints.

Ok, time to go scout the kitchen for either some fruit or some green or yellow veggies to put with my brown rice for breakfast. Then pull myself together, and make a run to Whole Foods for some sushi rolls. They make them at my Publix, but after eating them several times and being put off by some 'off' taste I decided not to eat sushi from there any more. I can't identify what it is, but 'something' does't taste right... And the nice part about buying it at WF, they have pre-made, and they will make to order...so I always know I can have fish free sushi, and that any of their sushi is FRESH...
    Also a trip to the gym would be nice......, and that's my day!

Later...

Chex Mix and Rice Crispie treats, I remember both. I bought pre-made Rice Crispie Treats one year at CostCo...

Fish Free Sushi, is it really Sushi ? :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Update: Bwahahaha! Ariel ate the rest of what was in the bowl, and then some, so barring a few bites left in the bowl, she has had nearly half a 5.5 oz. can of cat food today. I think I can probably get those last few bites into her before bedtime.

If it's all she's eating, she should be eating at least a whole can per day, but it may take a while for us to work up to that much, if we can...(can, get it? CAN. I made a pun there...)
    Hi Ed
    It sounds as if the feeding is going good, Good For You.

It is supposed to hit around 70 today, yesterday struggled to reach 60.

Cheers
    Roger