Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good Morning its TGIF!!
    So Ed, I take it Furkids is not your fav. kitty adoption organization??? I'm sorry, but your paragraph
    "Frankly we're seriously tempted to cancel the Sunday appointment too, but we will probably go. J wants to at least see this other cat, even though we have one on "hold" at the Gwinnett animal shelter, and it's not totally inconceivable that we might adopt two, but I'd rather stick with one, in addition to Lilo of course. If we adopt two more now, then one or two more will come to our house and adopt us, and next thing you know we have 5 cats. I know how this works. LOL."
    Made me laugh out loud. Whew! I didn't know how 3 cats became 5...I'm so grateful that my 5 came as a 'group'!!! LOL!!! All at once, easy peasy, adoption closed!!!

I grilled with occasional rain showers, but no big downpours....yesterday evening. I'd taken a nap, and when I woke could see a few little signs that we'd had a 'sprinkle' while I slept....so I quickly prepped my portabella and veggies, and made my dash out to the grill, which is right next to the rain gauge...and it said that while I slept there was almost 2 inches of rain???? O' boy!!! There was nearly 3 inches this morning! I looked at the weather map radar, and there is another big line of storms to our north and east out in Alabama coming at us! Rain in GA for the fourth of July is not unusual...but a lot of rain BEFORE the 4th is very unusual. The plants are loving it, as am I, so all is good on that score. And I have enough mushroom and veggies to make a 'mexican-ish' tortilla roll up for lunch! Win/Win!!

Roger, what a great realization! Rather have the equipment battery run down than have my battery run down..... Yes!!! I'll have to be honest and say that often times it was ME that ran down...but I was just 'full of it' yesterday...I went back out, and picked up sticks, then later poked my head out and pulled weeds..etc. I've decided that between showers today I'll don my boots and pull some of the hundreds of redbud tree sprouts...And I'll mark the couple of Poison Ivy sprouts for the next Round Up kill. I don't like using that stuff, but it does kill poison ivy! And it doesn't take much...you don't have to drowned the foliage.

So, what's on my list today....first up is to take an Aleve..my ankle brace let me get thru the day yesterday with only a bit of soreness....this morning however is a totally different story....I'm currently sitting with my foot in a bucket of ice water.... YIKES...

Oh, and Ed...great, fantastic, superb, news about your A1C!!!!
    I'm sure there's more...but I need to get my foot out of this cold water, and get a glass of water for the Aleve..

Later...
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,206 Member
    edited June 2017
    Whatever adoption fee one pays, at most centers, it is meant to partially cover the cost of initial shots (usually), spaying/neutering (usually) and some small part of the incidental cost of feeding and housing the cats. In more recent years, it also includes the cost of "chipping" the cat.

Historically, I've found the adoption fee to usually be between $50 and $100. I don't recall any of them charging more for a female, though spaying is more expensive than neutering a male, as spaying is a considerably more invasive and complicated surgery.

Usually, the fee doesn't really cover ALL the costs, and the shelters rely on donations, bequests, or government (taxes) in the case of a county or city run shelter.

So...no, $10 or even $30 (I guess dogs, being generally bigger, cost more to upkeep or something?) doesn't begin to cover the costs they incur, and by keeping adoption fees as low as they can they help to encourage more adoptions, assuming the people who run the joint aren't a bunch of KITTENS who don't seem to really want to unite people with pets, except when their moods and whims are just right. To be fair, most people we've dealt with haven't been KITTENS but haven't seemed to really "get it" either.

But as I said, $10, $55, $100...isn't really the issue. People just want to find a pet who's a good fit for their household.

But reducing cost to only $10 for a period does allow people who, while they probably can afford to keep a pet, just have some trouble coming up with fairly large chunks of money all at once to pay a large adoption fee.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited July 2017
    Hi
    I walked for an hour + 0 Cents during today's walk. The temperature this morning was 75 on the news channel and 732 degrees on the front porch with higher humidity level once again. The forecast is for Thunderstorms later today and into tomorrow morning :( It did rain lightly overnight and I was drizzled on during my walk so I changed my route in case it started raining harder. I also managed to sit on a wet surface and get soaked when I stopped to drink some of my CocoNut flavored Coffee, meh, from the 7-Eleven and missed some of the plastic I had put down. I often stop like that so I can clear my nose, TMI ??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/healthy-ice-creams-promise-indulgence-without-guilt-do-they-deliver/2017/06/26/425708dc-5525-11e7-ba90-f5875b7d1876_story.html
    ‘Healthy’ ice creams promise indulgence without guilt. Do they deliver?
    By Maura Judkis June 27
    All the gory details by following the link above :)

and
    USMC Veteran Takes Out Three Armed Robbers, “I Opened the Door and Smoked ’em.”
    Posted at 10:50 am on June 29, 2017 by Jenn Jacques
    I opened the door and smoked ’em.”

Now that’s the start of a great story, but seriously – it gets better.

Three armed robbers in Theodore, Alabama thought 62-year-old Michael Irving would be the perfect victim. A few weeks ago, they reportedly broke into his home, robbing Irving of all his cancer medication, and leaving him with a threat: if he reported the robbery, they’d come back to harm him.

But Irving called the police to report the robbery anyhow and made sure he would be able to defend himself if the suspects returned.

Last Thursday night, that’s exactly what happened.

The three suspects showed up at Irving’s door again, this time armed with a handgun and a shotgun. Irving heard a tap on his front door and when he walked up to open the door, “that’s when he shot me,” he said.

Irving, a United States Marine Corps veteran, wasn’t about to be victimized again.

“That’s when I went to the cabinet here and back behind the coffee was an old time pistol,” said Irving. “I opened the door and smoked ’em.”

Irving managed to shoot all three suspects. Two of them fled the scene in a vehicle, but were found by Mobile County Sheriff’s Office deputies at a Dollar General Store just over two miles away after they reported being shot. The third suspect remained wounded at the home.

The suspects—identified as Casey Ray Gann, 29, Joseph Heathcock, 19, and Chaste Dulabhan, 24—were taken to a local hospital for treatment and arrested shortly thereafter. All three have been charged with assault second-degree, robbery first-degree, burglary first-degree and shooting into an occupied dwelling.
    Watch Irving detail his ordeal:
    https://youtu.be/dYzFkA5jE9o
    Hmm...

It is hard to believe that one half of the year is past already, where did it go?
    Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    9fCtIM.jpg

oFDdld.jpg

aKa362.jpg

ruadwQ.gif

aYcRAU.jpg

cuIopy.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning its TGIF!!
    So Ed, I take it Furkids is not your fav. kitty adoption organization??? I'm sorry, but your paragraph
    "Frankly we're seriously tempted to cancel the Sunday appointment too, but we will probably go. J wants to at least see this other cat, even though we have one on "hold" at the Gwinnett animal shelter, and it's not totally inconceivable that we might adopt two, but I'd rather stick with one, in addition to Lilo of course. If we adopt two more now, then one or two more will come to our house and adopt us, and next thing you know we have 5 cats. I know how this works. LOL."
    Made me laugh out loud. Whew! I didn't know how 3 cats became 5...I'm so grateful that my 5 came as a 'group'!!! LOL!!! All at once, easy peasy, adoption closed!!!

I grilled with occasional rain showers, but no big downpours....yesterday evening. I'd taken a nap, and when I woke could see a few little signs that we'd had a 'sprinkle' while I slept....so I quickly prepped my portabella and veggies, and made my dash out to the grill, which is right next to the rain gauge...and it said that while I slept there was almost 2 inches of rain???? O' boy!!! There was nearly 3 inches this morning! I looked at the weather map radar, and there is another big line of storms to our north and east out in Alabama coming at us! Rain in GA for the fourth of July is not unusual...but a lot of rain BEFORE the 4th is very unusual. The plants are loving it, as am I, so all is good on that score. And I have enough mushroom and veggies to make a 'mexican-ish' tortilla roll up for lunch! Win/Win!!
    I knew that we had rain overnight by the water drops on the bottom of the living-room window while I was sitting there looking out, drinking my Pre-Walk Premier Banana & Cream Protein shake from CostCo.
    Then I started walking and I knew it had been light since the streets were wet except where it had not rained enough to wet the road under the trees :)
    Roger, what a great realization! Rather have the equipment battery run down than have my battery run down..... Yes!!! I'll have to be honest and say that often times it was ME that ran down...but I was just 'full of it' yesterday...I went back out, and picked up sticks, then later poked my head out and pulled weeds..etc. I've decided that between showers today I'll don my boots and pull some of the hundreds of redbud tree sprouts...And I'll mark the couple of Poison Ivy sprouts for the next Round Up kill. I don't like using that stuff, but it does kill poison ivy! And it doesn't take much...you don't have to drowned the foliage.

So, what's on my list today....first up is to take an Aleve..my ankle brace let me get thru the day yesterday with only a bit of soreness....this morning however is a totally different story....I'm currently sitting with my foot in a bucket of ice water.... YIKES...

Oh, and Ed...great, fantastic, superb, news about your A1C!!!!
    I'm sure there's more...but I need to get my foot out of this cold water, and get a glass of water for the Aleve..

Later...

I did indeed think it was a reasonable idea :)

Sometimes I run down too.
    I do get a low battery warning voice on my iPod now and then before I even get out the door sometimes. I hate that for one reason, I have to hit the button that turns on the display twice when that happens to be able to change the volume or pause it when it is that state. Experience has shown me that I am able to use it despite that for 2 or three hours more so I charge it on my return. As I understand it how long the battery lifetime is, is based on charge cycles. Thus leaving a Laptop plugged in will eventually kill the battery even if it never runs on the battery. Th Li-On batteries slowly discharge even just sitting there and at a fairly high battery remaining point the charge circuit starts charging it. That eventually kills the battery.

I do not mind using roundup on certain things I will not touch such as Poison Ivy too. Better a spray than me :)

I do not know what You mean by Redbud tree sprouts, So I ask what is a redbud tree?

Good Luck with Your foot today
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's sensational Saturday! 71 now with an expected high of 87 and 50% chance of showers.

Yet another pool party this afternoon/evening. The beans are in the oven. When I don't show, or have morning obligations that prevent making them, people ask about the missing baked beans. They may not all realize I'm the one bringing them but they sure notice when there aren't any baked beans!

Dinner last night was an ENORMOUS salad and 1/4 of a large, thin crust, Marco's Deluxe Uno pizza.

Blood sugar two hours after was a surprising and unexpected 117.

To be fair, we were moving around some boxes and starting the process of maybe getting some boxes sorted out. We also threw away a number of items from the boxes. We did the last move during the first part of 2012 so some of these boxes had not been opened in 5 years, and some were never opened from the prior move.

We also started a "Goodwill" pile for things that we are planning to donate.

J has serious issues about throwing anything out and is a major packrat. I'm almost as bad. I wanted to toss some of the stuff (or donate it) before packing it up and moving it the last time but in every move we seem to always get rushed and end up packing up and moving lot of stuff that really should have been eliminated, mostly because we don't want to really get into sorting it all out. At least on the last move, some of the in-laws helped and, conveniently, took some of the things that we didn't want.

Breakfast this morning was...cold Marco's Deluxe Uno Pizza.

We still have salad and pizza left, as we got a "family size" salad and, between the two of us, ate over half of it but there was no way we were going to eat all that salad in one sitting.

I'm still not finding salad, in general, all that attractive lately and am not making it at home. J may, in fact, be stuck with eating the rest of the salad from Marco's. I have cancelled three farm truck deliveries in a row as I the last couple I received didn't look as nice as usual and didn't help with adjusting my current slight aversion to salad and the beginning aversion to fresh vegetables and even some fruits. I'm sure my taste for both will return in time.

But right now I just don't want them around. I was surprised last night that, when J was starting to order an individual garden salad, it sounded good to me for a change. So I was going to order an individual one too, but the waitress pointed out that the family size was about a dollar cheaper than ordering two individual salads, and that it was at least twice as much. Realistically, it's at least three times as much and I think nearly four times as much as it's intended for a family of four people.

Anyway, salad sounded good for a change, so I ate it while it sounded good, and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think some of the food issues at home may still be grieving for Ariel as I feel still some depression when I notice she's not there or encounter some toy that was a favorite of hers.

I still get a little choked up thinking about her and it leads to thinking about all the other pets we've had to let go over the years and I need to stop typing about it. Yet here we are planning to get at least one more. But the new one(s), while not filling the places in our hearts that the old ones occupied, will still help to heal by creating their own places in our hearts.

Enough of this. Need to find a distraction.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• RogerToo
    edited July 2017
    Howdy y'all. It's fabulous Friday!

70 degrees out there now with an expected high of 77 and 80% chance of rain.

I got my lab results back yesterday and my A1c was down to only 5.9!

This is an excellent result and is one indicator that my diabetes is well controlled.

Nothing much on the agenda today.

Yesterday, of course, didn't get quite as much of a "day off" as I'd hoped as we spent a good chunk of the afternoon/evening driving to and spending time with cats.

We are rather disillusioned with Furkids as the right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing. And the right hand doesn't seem to necessarily know what it is doing!

You would think that, for example, when we looked at Beth, the person at the Petco would have known that someone was already in the process of adopting her and then J could have spent more time with a different cat, or cats, at the Petco. To be fair, I suppose it's conceivable that the person had put in the paperwork the day before and it possibly hadn't been processed enough to let her know.
    Snipped

I'm just saying.
    Hi Ed
    Salespeople are like that in every field. That is why when I found a salesman many years ago that listened and knew not to push insurance on my purchases there I always went there and had him do the order. I believe it worked for him to as he had a really quick sale and could move on to the next prospect and still make a commission :)

My Youngest Brother ran into the same type when he went to buy a House out west after retiring. He specified not down by the Mississippi and no stairs. So what did they keep showing, Houses with steps up to the entry and stairs to the 2nd floor bedrooms and of course down by the river in an area that has flooded in the past. We all know where that is since we had relations in that town for many, many years. Then they would make assumptions about ethnicity based on the last name and offer house in an area of town since they were sure he would be happier where his own kind was, Wrong on both counts too. Eventually he bought from a friend of our relatives. Bleep those realtors, They could have listened and had the commission.
    Whatever adoption fee one pays, at most centers, it is meant to partially cover the cost of initial shots (usually), spaying/neutering (usually) and some small part of the incidental cost of feeding and housing the cats. In more recent years, it also includes the cost of "chipping" the cat.

Historically, I've found the adoption fee to usually be between $50 and $100. I don't recall any of them charging more for a female, though spaying is more expensive than neutering a male, as spaying is a considerably more invasive and complicated surgery.

Usually, the fee doesn't really cover ALL the costs, and the shelters rely on donations, bequests, or government (taxes) in the case of a county or city run shelter.

So...no, $10 or even $30 (I guess dogs, being generally bigger, cost more to upkeep or something?) doesn't begin to cover the costs they incur, and by keeping adoption fees as low as they can they help to encourage more adoptions, assuming the people who run the joint aren't a bunch of KITTENS who don't seem to really want to unite people with pets, except when their moods and whims are just right. To be fair, most people we've dealt with haven't been KITTENS but haven't seemed to really "get it" either.

But as I said, $10, $55, $100...isn't really the issue. People just want to find a pet who's a good fit for their household.

But reducing cost to only $10 for a period does allow people who, while they probably can afford to keep a pet, just have some trouble coming up with fairly large chunks of money all at once to pay a large adoption fee.
    IMO it is also possible that it will get pets that are siblings into the same home, I wonder if I'm right.

Congrats on the A1C

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Great cartoons today, Roger! I haven't finished looking and have already swiped two of them. :)
  • parityanimal
    A new Simon's Cat video! Yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TayIfVa0QPs
  • RogerToo
    Good news, I think :)
    My brother is planning on baked beans, Potato Salad, and a Corned Beef is in the refrigerator in the process of being turned into a Pastrami. He decided to try a low sodium one this time since it was on sale for the same price as the regular Corned Beef.

I now have to work on losing some extra weight in preparation for the 4th :)

He uses the regular one pound bag of beans. The one in the cupboard is Jack rabbit brand and I did not see a type of bean on the bag, Weird? They end up looking like the ones in Pork & Beans. I know there will be Molasses and other ingredients as well as lots of really think cut Bacon Chunks.
    And then they bake in the oven in a genuine Bean Pot that looks like this one from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZPT0MG8/ref=asc_df_B00ZPT0MG85055495/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00ZPT0MG8&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167129511510&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3800056101007330658&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004026&hvtargid=pla-307159897588
    qHCLRK.jpg

So much of the news these days seems to consist of putting people down rather than news. What I do watch is via the DVR so I can skip through the Political Crud.
    Great cartoons today, Roger! I haven't finished looking and have already swiped two of them. :)
    That's OK, Not a problem.

Enjoy the Holiday
    Roger

• parityanimal
    Making it modern, Super Bowl Spectacular. FLAMING MEAT APPETIZER TRAY!

Her modernized, vegan, meatless appetizers actually sound interesting and I have transcribed the recipe to try it out.

Vegan Faux Gras Spread

1 diced small onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Olive oil for sautéing
    6 sliced white mushrooms
    2 tsp fresh, chopped rosemary
    2 tsp fresh, chopped sage
    2 tsp fresh, chopped thyme
    2 cups cooked, green lentils
    1 cup toasted pecans
    2 Tbs lemon juice
    1 Tbs soy sauce
    1 tsp brown sugar
    Dash of hot sauce
    Salt and pepper to taste

Begin by sautéing a diced, small onion and two cloves of garlic in some olive oil (butter or ghee may be used instead if one isn’t vegan).

Cook until they are translucent and add half a dozen sliced white mushrooms.

Stir to combine and let them all cook together until everything is softened and is cooked through, around six to eight minutes.

Add two teaspoons of fresh, chopped rosemary, two teaspoons of fresh, chopped sage and two teaspoons of fresh, chopped thyme. Cook for another minute and then remove from the heat.

Meanwhile, in a food processor, blend together two cups of cooked, green lentils, one cup of toasted pecans, two tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, one tablespoon of soy sauce, one teaspoon brown sugar, and a dash of hot sauce. Be sure to add salt and pepper to taste.

When the onion and mushroom mixture has finished cooking, add them to the food processor and mix until smooth.

Let the whole thing settle in the fridge for a few hours and up to a few days, before serving with toasted bread and some cornichons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uanp_YwAC4
  • parityanimal
    Patriotic dessert, modernized!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iVZFaYj_kM
  • parityanimal
    edited July 2017
    Another old timey dessert. And then a modern version, using agar.

Her vegan custard sounded delicious, so I transcribed that one too.

Vegan Spiced Custard

1 can coconut milk
    1 can coconut cream
    1/3 cup white sugar
    20 whole cloves
    6 green cardamon pods
    1 stick of cinnamon

1 1/2 Tbs agar agar
    1/2 to 1 Tbs rose water
    Pink food coloring, if desired

In a pan, begin to warm up 1 can of coconut milk with 1 can of coconut cream. Add 1/3 cup white sugar, 20 whole cloves, 6 cardamom pods, and 1 stick of cinnamon. Bring it up to a boil, turn it down and let simmer for about 5 minutes.

Turn off the heat and let the spices steep for at least 1 hour or more. The longer you let it steep, the bolder the flavors.

When you’re ready to make the custard, begin by straining the coconut milk and discarding the spices.

In a pot, pour 1/4 cup of the spiced coconut milk and add 1 1/2 tablespoons agar agar. Stir over a low heat until it bubbles and then add the remainder of the spiced coconut milk mixture.

Bring to a boil and then turn off the heat and add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of rosewater and a small bit of food coloring, if desired, and then pour into your custard dishes.

Let the custards cool in the refrigerator. In the meanwhile, you can make the sauce.

Dark Cherry Sauce

1 Tbs lime juice
    1 Tbs corn starch
    8 oz fresh or frozen, pitted cherries
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup water
    Toasted pistachios, crumbled if desired, for garnish

In a small bowl stir together 1 tablespoon of lime juice with 1 tablespoon of corn starch, and set aside.

In a small pot, add 8 ounces of fresh or frozen, pitted cherries, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup water.

Bring it up to a boil and add the cornstarch and lime mixture. Bring it back to a boil and then turn off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.

Once it’s cool enough to safely continue, pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.

Serve the sauce on top of the custard and garnish with the toasted pistachios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Pti8-l97Q&t=2s
  • parityanimal
    edited July 2017
    How to make pancakes, the Victorian way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHvpD-fy2c0

Grandma's (or Mom's) country cherry dumplings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxww2KxrN-E
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning! Overcast, will most likely get some kind of rain today. Is ok, as I don't have any pressing jobs outdoors today.
    I watched the vintage foods...not sure I could eat either one, though I remember both from when I was a little kid. Mom used to make Junket Ice Cream...forget that!!! And the jello stuff too!

Computer backed up, Fitbit charged, coffee almost gone and very close to cold!
    Several projects in mind for today...if I really feel the need for something to do...???...hahaha!

The Aleve really did help yesterday, and appears to still be 'working' this morning. Happy about that!

Roger sorry you sat on something wet...wet britches are at the least uncomfortable for walking! Your flavored coffee sounded good. I've tried some of the flavored coffee's though, and without adding sugar, they really aren't very good..at least that's what my taste buds say! Luckily I don't mind just plain ole black coffee.

To lazy to look for myself, but is today a day to look at young cats or kitties? I'm sure that finding unexpected reminders of Ariel are enough to make you sad. I still think of Tom E's sibs once in awhile when I'm outside and see a 'special' spot in the sun, etc. that one or the other or all of them enjoyed. I used to try to figure out how it was worked out between them as to who went out to play, and who had to stay either on or close by the back porch..Guard Position???. Never quite figured that out...but there was always one cat just outside, while the others scattered to the wind to hunt and play.

Ok, I need to scoot! Stuff to do...like clear the kitchen sink.....oops..yeah, rinsed and stacked, but in the sink none the less.

Later...

• parityanimal
    Roger, your brother's beans sound great too. I'd probably put bacon in mine if I wasn't married to a vegetarian.

On the other hand, being with one for so many years, I've learned to be sensitive to the dietary needs of both vegetarians AND vegan, and do, in fact, know several vegans.

While most vegetarians and vegans have learned very well how to fend for themselves and either bring their own food, enjoy just whatever appropriate dishes happen to be available, or perhaps eat before arriving or after leaving, I usually bring a dish that is at least vegetarian, and sometimes vegan, as my baked beans are. J loves his cheese and eggs, and while he usually doesn't eat a lot at parties, he always knows that whatever I bring is safe. Other people seem to put cream of chicken soup in a lot of things where cream of mushroom would do just as well, and bacon, especially in the south, seems to go in most of the vegetables and salads. Some people even put chicken stock in the mashed potatoes! Pies might contain lard in the crust and even a Caesar salad has anchovies, so he is wary of foods that I haven't checked out. Often his light meal at one of the pool parties is baked beans, potato salad (after I've scanned it), deviled eggs, if available, and perhaps salad, if he can find one that doesn't have bacon in it. Scalloped potatoes might be OK as well.

I'd suspect that if the beans come out looking like pork and beans, the ones your brother uses are probably navy beans and I'm sure that the type is marked somewhere on the bag. All the Jack Rabbit beans I've seen tell you what kind they are.

They could possibly be light red kidney beans, and, of course, one really can make baked beans from just about any kind of bean or a mixture of types, as I do.

• parityanimal

To lazy to look for myself, but is today a day to look at young cats or kitties? I'm sure that finding unexpected reminders of Ariel are enough to make you sad. I still think of Tom E's sibs once in awhile when I'm outside and see a 'special' spot in the sun, etc. that one or the other or all of them enjoyed. I used to try to figure out how it was worked out between them as to who went out to play, and who had to stay either on or close by the back porch..Guard Position???. Never quite figured that out...but there was always one cat just outside, while the others scattered to the wind to hunt and play.

Cats do develop their own pecking order, don't they?

I know the stabs of pain will lessen over time. We aren't planning to look at any cats today and even though I've done my best to dissuade J from looking tomorrow (we COULD have called and told them thanks but no thanks, but NOOOOOO, he wants to look even though he says he isn't going with a plan to adopt that other cat, but we'll see...) at the cat that supposedly needs to be an "only" cat yet he is still going to consider adopting her AND the nameless cat from the shelter. The name someone gave nameless cat is not dirty or provocative or anything, and I can see someone else possibly naming a cat with that name but it's not a name that J or I are prepared to be calling her and besides, she's young and should not have any difficulty having her name changed.

I'm sure that years ago, Figaro had another name before someone abandoned him but he didn't take long to learn that his new name was Figaro, with us. And so it was up until time to let him go to heaven.

I don't remember what the cat we're seeing tomorrow is named. I plan to vigorously resist falling in love with her.
  • parityanimal
    I watched the vintage foods...not sure I could eat either one, though I remember both from when I was a little kid. Mom used to make Junket Ice Cream...forget that!!! And the jello stuff too!

I don't find very many of those "vintage" recipes appetizing. But some of them I do recall fondly, and of course some are still made and aren't really "vintage" like many good potato salad, baked bean, barbecue recipes, etc.

I did think that the two I transcribed sounded so good that I saved them for myself and posted them here in case you or Roger had any interest in making them.

I may or may not try them. But I'm more likely to try the Faux Gras recipe as it really sounds like a great appetizer, and I can make a meal from appetizers, on crackers or on sliced veggies.

• GardenKatGardens
    Hey! Glad I came back!
    I made Faux Gras once, many years ago..(more than 20, cuz I was in the apartment in ATL), and it was good! I know it had nuts, and I don't remember much else about it...
    Yes, eating out is a problem. I actually try to avoid it as much as possible. I know I can get a nice big salad, sometimes soup, at Sweet Tomatoes...(and between the hours of 2 -5p.m. we seniors get a big discount.) I can read the ingredients at Whole Foods Hot Bar, and in their deli area...the food allergens are listed. Restaurants are sometimes tricky...but I hit it lucky last time at Sally's birthday party. I started cobbling together veg. side dishes and the little wait person asked if I'd like the chef to fix a vegan plate for me!!! Heaven! But even at family dinners sometimes people 'forget' that they've used chicken broth, or an egg, etc. Its easy to do, I forgot and did it to Ted ONCE, many years ago. Apparently he could taste it, asked, and I said no, til he pulled the broth carton out of the trash....OMG..yes, I did use up the last of that. Soooo, like I said, is easy to do. He didn't fuss, and neither do I...unless I think somebody does it maliciously...then watch out...Irish Temper is not a pretty thing.
    Baked Custard is a dessert I never liked, ever. and its a pain in the butt to make. Broke my Great Aunt Mary's heart one year..she'd made it special for me....and I took one bite. Never would willingly eat tapioca either. My Mom must have loved it, and tried to figure out why I didn't like it. I was young, and my vocabulary wasn't quite developed...the only thing I could think to tell her was that it was good, except for the little 'tappies'. (Texture was apparently not one of my words yet!!!)
    Now, about that cherry and dumplings.....those dumplings are what I grew up eating...in chicken stock with veggies that Mom made...big fluffy, dry on the inside dumplings! I have my Great Aunt Mary's Joy of Cooking cook book, and bless her, she would write comments about the recipes that she made. So, I always used her dumpling mix, and yep, you don't dare uncover the pan! I find the dumplings you find down here or in frozen dinners, etc are a very doughy thick concoction, like a short fat noodle or a solid ravioli :) Oh WOW!!!....big rolling thunder boomer!!! Here come da rain!!! Its ok, I've been to the mailbox, and I pulled my hand full of weeds from the front garden, so my outdoor 'must do' chores are done. :)

Best let the cat in....

Later...