Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,206 Member
    I thought the custard recipes sounded good because they aren't baked, just refrigerated, and sounded very easy. I have made baked custards before, but would rather have a stove top or just refrigerated one generally.

And I would never have thought to make vegan custard using coconut milk.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 70 out there now with an expected high of 87 and 60% chance of rain. PM thunderstorms expected.

Nice pool party yesterday, but I'm tired this morning. Lilo, of course, was jonesing for her food early. I may get back in for a nap after I finish off the pizza from the other night, for breakfast.

Need to get the garbage out, the sink cleared, and we have that silly appointment that I couldn't convince J to just call and cancel, to see a cat, even though we have one on hold at the shelter.

Someone else wanted us to come and see cats yesterday but the time conflicted with the pool party that we had already committed to.

Kinda went way off plan at the party. So many foods...and desserts! But didn't go completely berserk.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
  • parityanimal
    edited July 2017
    Tomato soup...SALAD? Updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgQFoJW-fkc
  • parityanimal
    An update to vintage grilled Velveeta sandwiches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOI0XaJiQPk
  • parityanimal
    A little out of season perhaps. Thank goodness I don't remember this particular vintage dish ever being served to me as it sounds ghastly. The modernized one she makes sounds OK though, sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_KP03I6edo
  • parityanimal
    Is anybody out there?
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I walked up for a cup of coffee and back. The temperature this morning was 70 on the news channel and 73 degrees on the front porch with a high humidity level. The forecast yesterday was for Thunderstorms in the latter part of the day. Sure enough the sky opened up with a drenching rain for a few minutes with thunder then cleared up.
    You may be wondering why the short walk, easy, a bad nights sleep, Allergies were bothering me terribly. I wonder if it was that bad as I was out in the back Yard planting Corn and helping my Brother.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-jersey-maine-shut-down-government-amid-budget-impasses-1498908538
    New Jersey, Maine Shut Down Governments Amid Budget Impasses
    States are among 46 that start a new fiscal year Saturday and nearly a dozen where budget negotiations had come down to the wire

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-01/illinois-blows-budget-deadline-pushing-it-closer-to-junk-rating

Illinois Blows Budget Deadline, Pushing It Closer to Junk
    By Elizabeth Campbell
    July 1, 2017, 12:01 AM EDT
    July 1, 2017, 5:53 PM EDT

This was interesting, Your opinion?
    Earlier this year, Susan Collins and Bill Cassidy proposed a compromise: Why not give states the option of whether to keep ObamaCare or not? Blue states could retain it, red states could opt for waivers that let insurers offer cheaper plans with less coverage. Cruz’s plan is an intrastate variation of that hybrid approach. Instead of letting each state decide whether to opt in or out of ObamaCare, he proposes letting insurers in each state offer whichever plans they like so long as they offer at least one ObamaCare-compliant plan. If you want to pay more for a plan with all the bells and whistles that O-Care requires, go nuts. If you want something less expensive and less comprehensive, that’s on the menu too. People with preexisting conditions could choose the bells-and-whistles plan, healthier folk could choose the skimpier fare. Win/win! That may make Republican moderates and conservatives happy enough to get McConnell 50 votes. Just one question: Who’s going to cover the revenue shortfall for insurers when healthy consumers start swapping their expensive ObamaCare plans for cheaper Cruz-enabled ones?
    Hmm...

Counting down to the 4th of July :)

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good Morning! Overcast, will most likely get some kind of rain today. Is ok, as I don't have any pressing jobs outdoors today.
    I watched the vintage foods...not sure I could eat either one, though I remember both from when I was a little kid. Mom used to make Junket Ice Cream...forget that!!! And the jello stuff too!

Computer backed up, Fitbit charged, coffee almost gone and very close to cold!
    Several projects in mind for today...if I really feel the need for something to do...???...hahaha!

The Aleve really did help yesterday, and appears to still be 'working' this morning. Happy about that!

Roger sorry you sat on something wet...wet britches are at the least uncomfortable for walking! Your flavored coffee sounded good. I've tried some of the flavored coffee's though, and without adding sugar, they really aren't very good..at least that's what my taste buds say! Luckily I don't mind just plain ole black coffee.

To lazy to look for myself, but is today a day to look at young cats or kitties? I'm sure that finding unexpected reminders of Ariel are enough to make you sad. I still think of Tom E's sibs once in awhile when I'm outside and see a 'special' spot in the sun, etc. that one or the other or all of them enjoyed. I used to try to figure out how it was worked out between them as to who went out to play, and who had to stay either on or close by the back porch..Guard Position???. Never quite figured that out...but there was always one cat just outside, while the others scattered to the wind to hunt and play.

Ok, I need to scoot! Stuff to do...like clear the kitchen sink.....oops..yeah, rinsed and stacked, but in the sink none the less.

Later...
    Hi Valerie
    That coffee may have sounded good, however as I take my Coffee Black and unsweetened it was barely drinkable. Now I know. 7-Eleven seems to be doing limited time coffees, The Previous one was a Mexican coffee.

Glad to hear that Your day is going well and that the Aleve helped.

Heres a possibly trick question for You and Ed.
    What was Atlantas original name ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Atlanta
    The history of Atlanta dates back to 1836, when Georgia decided to build a railroad to the U.S. Midwest and a location was chosen to be the line's terminus. The stake marking the founding of "Terminus" was driven into the ground in 1837 (called the Zero Mile Post). In 1839 homes and a store were built there and the settlement grew.

Gov. Lumpkin asked them to name it after his young daughter instead, and Terminus became Marthasville. In 1845, the chief engineer of the Georgia Railroad, (J. Edgar Thomson) suggested that Marthasville be renamed "Atlantica-Pacifica", which was quickly shortened to "Atlanta."
    Hey! Glad I came back!
    I made Faux Gras once, many years ago..(more than 20, cuz I was in the apartment in ATL), and it was good! I know it had nuts, and I don't remember much else about it...
    Yes, eating out is a problem. I actually try to avoid it as much as possible. I know I can get a nice big salad, sometimes soup, at Sweet Tomatoes...(and between the hours of 2 -5p.m. we seniors get a big discount.) I can read the ingredients at Whole Foods Hot Bar, and in their deli area...the food allergens are listed. Restaurants are sometimes tricky...but I hit it lucky last time at Sally's birthday party. I started cobbling together veg. side dishes and the little wait person asked if I'd like the chef to fix a vegan plate for me!!! Heaven! But even at family dinners sometimes people 'forget' that they've used chicken broth, or an egg, etc. Its easy to do, I forgot and did it to Ted ONCE, many years ago. Apparently he could taste it, asked, and I said no, til he pulled the broth carton out of the trash....OMG..yes, I did use up the last of that. Soooo, like I said, is easy to do. He didn't fuss, and neither do I...unless I think somebody does it maliciously...then watch out...Irish Temper is not a pretty thing.
    Baked Custard is a dessert I never liked, ever. and its a pain in the butt to make. Broke my Great Aunt Mary's heart one year..she'd made it special for me....and I took one bite. Never would willingly eat tapioca either. My Mom must have loved it, and tried to figure out why I didn't like it. I was young, and my vocabulary wasn't quite developed...the only thing I could think to tell her was that it was good, except for the little 'tappies'. (Texture was apparently not one of my words yet!!!)
    Now, about that cherry and dumplings.....those dumplings are what I grew up eating...in chicken stock with veggies that Mom made...big fluffy, dry on the inside dumplings! I have my Great Aunt Mary's Joy of Cooking cook book, and bless her, she would write comments about the recipes that she made. So, I always used her dumpling mix, and yep, you don't dare uncover the pan! I find the dumplings you find down here or in frozen dinners, etc are a very doughy thick concoction, like a short fat noodle or a solid ravioli :) Oh WOW!!!....big rolling thunder boomer!!! Here come da rain!!! Its ok, I've been to the mailbox, and I pulled my hand full of weeds from the front garden, so my outdoor 'must do' chores are done. :)

Best let the cat in....

Later...

My Brother has bought the ingredients to make a fresh batch of Tapioca, He loves it, I like it however I do prefer Rice Pudding :)

I have noticed that commercial dumplings are as You describe them. I prefer the ones that have more of a fluffy Biscuit texture.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

P.S. Did You have to click the spoiler button?
  • RogerToo
    Grandma's (or Mom's) country cherry dumplings.
    Hi Ed
    That Sounds delicious to me, Nice recipes BTW.
    Roger, your brother's beans sound great too. I'd probably put bacon in mine if I wasn't married to a vegetarian.

On the other hand, being with one for so many years, I've learned to be sensitive to the dietary needs of both vegetarians AND vegan, and do, in fact, know several vegans.

While most vegetarians and vegans have learned very well how to fend for themselves and either bring their own food, enjoy just whatever appropriate dishes happen to be available, or perhaps eat before arriving or after leaving, I usually bring a dish that is at least vegetarian, and sometimes vegan, as my baked beans are. J loves his cheese and eggs, and while he usually doesn't eat a lot at parties, he always knows that whatever I bring is safe. Other people seem to put cream of chicken soup in a lot of things where cream of mushroom would do just as well, and bacon, especially in the south, seems to go in most of the vegetables and salads. Some people even put chicken stock in the mashed potatoes! Pies might contain lard in the crust and even a Caesar salad has anchovies, so he is wary of foods that I haven't checked out. Often his light meal at one of the pool parties is baked beans, potato salad (after I've scanned it), deviled eggs, if available, and perhaps salad, if he can find one that doesn't have bacon in it. Scalloped potatoes might be OK as well.

I'd suspect that if the beans come out looking like pork and beans, the ones your brother uses are probably navy beans and I'm sure that the type is marked somewhere on the bag. All the Jack Rabbit beans I've seen tell you what kind they are.

They could possibly be light red kidney beans, and, of course, one really can make baked beans from just about any kind of bean or a mixture of types, as I do.
    The bag was marked I just did not recognize that was the name of the bean :)

I talked to my brother and he pointed out that they were "Great Norther Beans"
    https://www.camelliabrand.com/about-the-bean/about-great-northern-beans/
    Great Northern beans have a delicate, nutty flavor and are popular in soups, stews, and casseroles. They can be mixed with pinto beans or served as a substitute for navy beans and cannellini beans.
    I was in the kitchen a few minutes back getting my Breakfast Cereal and the beans were soaked overnight and are now baking in the oven.

Chicken Stock in <ashed potatoes, Pass. OTOH having grown up where they get a large chuck of Butter and some Cream or at least milk I prefer them that way.

I believe You are so right that Mushroom soup would work just as well.

I can see slices of Bacon in Vegetables and Bacon crumbles on salads along with crumbled eggs naturally.
    Howdy y'all. It's scintillating Sunday! 70 out there now with an expected high of 87 and 60% chance of rain. PM thunderstorms expected.

Nice pool party yesterday, but I'm tired this morning. Lilo, of course, was jonesing for her food early. I may get back in for a nap after I finish off the pizza from the other night, for breakfast.

Need to get the garbage out, the sink cleared, and we have that silly appointment that I couldn't convince J to just call and cancel, to see a cat, even though we have one on hold at the shelter.

Someone else wanted us to come and see cats yesterday but the time conflicted with the pool party that we had already committed to.

Kinda went way off plan at the party. So many foods...and desserts! But didn't go completely berserk.
    Good Luck finding a Suitable Cat

I have been there and done that, I find that I really need to stay out of the store, especially during the summer. Many of the foods I have a huge problem resisting make me feel the heat much more that if I stay relatively low Carb.
    An update to vintage grilled Velveeta sandwiches.
    Pass I prefer the classic grilled cheese where it is done on a flat griddle or Cast iron skillet with a weight on top. I also like it with Bacon or Pork Roll :)
    Is anybody out there?
    Nope, Actually I was so tired I went back to bed for a while instead of online. The allergies were really bothering me last night starting around Dinnertime.

Have a nice day
    Super posts too
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Quick before I head to the kitchen...Marthasville was the original name of my city....it was a railroad juncture...then burned to the ground, and has come back as Atlanta :)
    I'd stay for awhile and do a proper post, but I am STARVING! Gotta go dig out some kind of breakfast!
  • GardenKatGardens
    Ahhh, so much better. I chopped a huge bowl of greens (kale & arugula) and in that big bowl also celery, radishes, red onion, green onions, carrots, whatever I could find...chopped and chopped then stuffed both halves of a pita loaf, that I'd spread with hummus, added some lemon tahini sauce, quartered grape tomatoes, and a tablespoon or so of canned tri-beans, that I needed to use up.
    Nicely filling.
    Now I need to get myself together, and run to Publix for an ear or two of corn to grill, a birthday card for my little neighbor who is having her birthday party this afternoon....I so hope it doesn't rain and spoil her day...I saw them unload a 'bounce house'...and I know Mellony and her
    little cousins and friends will be a squealing mass of bouncing joys!!!
    And, then I intend to come home and grill my big portabella caps, corn, and peppers and onions....
    That should keep me entertained for the day........

So much fat in those Vintage recipe's (and some of the ones updated too) cheese, and cream, and butter, etc....no wonder my Dad's parents had heart attacks and died early to mid 60's!!! Grandma was 'round', and always wore silk dresses. She had a brown one with med. sized white polka dots that I LOVED. I'm sure she had other dresses, I just remember the polka dotted ones, blue, brown and black!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

71 out there with an expected high of 86 and 30% chance of rain.

I do need to get out today to buy some canned cat food for Lilo. She has enough to get through tomorrow and that's it.

Pondering breakfast options.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• GardenKatGardens
    Be right back... Re-read Eds post about bread in the IP...and remembered I want to make rice in the IP, and later some beans... need to start the rice....
  • GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning! holiday Monday as I heard someone on TV say this morning when talking about the traffic (mostly lack of) :)

I did have a good time yesterday...and enjoyed a good bit of the food! Which is why I'm making a pot of rice and beans this morning! Rice will be ready to give up its spot in the IP and then I'll start the beans...pinto's or small red...haven't decided yet...they will have to cook a bit longer as I neglected to set any out to soak overnight. So far all that I've cooked from dried, unsoaked have worked out well..

I was wrong about the bounce house....it was a big slide into a pool of water...maybe 2 inches or so...the kids loved it. I enjoyed a good authentic Latino dinner, avoiding the meat which looked good but not good enough for me to want to eat it. But...corn on the cob, rice, beans, slices of cucumber, tomato, onion .....all good!!
    Today at my house, it will be rice and beans, corn, portabella mushroom slices (grilled with the corn and strips of red, green and orange peppers)...and I think I'll try warming the tortillas on the grill too. I've not done that yet...

Anyhow rice has about 10 minutes to cook, Tom E. 's been in, fed, given his treat which he now thinks is part of EVERY meal, and he's back out. He was mad at me cuz I wouldn't give him more treats....sorry buddy! So he's sitting on one of the shelves I had put on the privacy fence for him, and he's glaring at me!!! Am I supposed to be afraid???? Goofy cat.

I think there isn't much else on my list for today.

Later...
  • RogerToo
    H3ncLu.jpg

WDE5RL.gif

JNnDbP.jpg

fNcJ2C.gif

vs8xKz.jpg

KCh46d.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I walked for an 1.5+ hours, 8100 steps + 1 Cents during today's walk. The temperature this morning was 73 on the news channel and 72 degrees on the front porch with higher humidity level in the forecast, also Thunderstorms later today :(

Hmm... In the crazy news dept.
    NASA: Uh, No, We're Not Running A Child Slave Colony On Mars
    Christine Rousselle Posted: Jun 30, 2017 10:20 AM
    NASA has denied an InfoWars allegation that the space agency is running a child slave colony on the planet Mars. Robert David Steele, a guest on The Alex Jones Show made the claim on Thursday that NASA routinely sends kidnapped children on a 20-year trip to the red planet, where they serve as slaves for a secret Martian colony.

“We actually believe that there is a colony on Mars that is populated by children who were kidnapped and sent into space on a 20-year ride,” said Steele. “So that once they get to Mars they have no alternative but to be slaves on the Mars colony.”

When asked for comment by The Daily Beast, NASA denied any sort of kidnapping/child slavery plot, and confirmed that there are no humans of any age on Mars--only Mars rovers.

“There are no humans on Mars. There are active rovers on Mars. There was a rumor going around last week that there weren’t. There are,” Guy Webster, a spokesperson for Mars exploration at NASA, told The Daily Beast. “But there are no humans.”
    Well, duh.

In other space conspiracy news, internet hacker group Anonymous claimed earlier this week that NASA was on the verge of announcing that they had discovered evidence of life on other planets elsewhere in the universe. NASA has also denied these claims, saying that they do not have evidence of any sort of extraterrestrial life just yet, nor is there any sort of "pending announcement."
    Contrary to some reports, there’s no pending announcement from NASA regarding extraterrestrial life.
    — Thomas Zurbuchen (@Dr_ThomasZ) June 26, 2017
    Are we alone in the universe? While we do not know yet, we have missions moving forward that may help answer that fundamental question.
    — Thomas Zurbuchen (@Dr_ThomasZ) June 26, 2017

What a weird time to be alive.

University to Remove Crosses, Bibles & Altar from Campus Chapel
    Todd Starnes Posted: Jun 30, 2017 12:05 PM
    East Central University said they will remove crosses, Bibles and other religious symbols from a campus chapel to appease a bunch of out-of-town agitators.
    It’s unclear when the Oklahoma school will commence with the Christian cleansing of the Kathryn P. Boswell Memorial Chapel. The chapel opened in 1957.
    “We will continue to use the building as we always have, for all faiths,” ECU President Katricia Pierson said in a statement to the Ada News. “We do not want to presume to embrace one faith over another. We support all cultures and attempt to make them comfortable when they are here.”
    The university’s president went on to say they are “looking at the feasibility of removing the cross on the steeple, but need to respond to the request for removal of religious icons from the chapel.”
    “We are exploring options for preserving the items,” she said.
    So on the bright side, it appears East Central University will not burn the Bibles or toss the crosses into a wood chipper.
    Americans United for the Separation of Church and State is responsible for the Christian cleansing at ECU. They fired off a terse letter accusing the school of displaying “religious iconography.” That letter was obtained by the Ada News.
    “These displays include Latin crosses on the top of and inside the building, Bibles and a Christian altar,” the letter stated. “While it is legal for a public university to have a space that can be used by students for religious worship so long as that space is not dedicated solely to that purpose, it is a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution to display religious iconography on government property.”
    That’s a great big load of legal malarkey.
    Hiram Sasser, director of litigation for First Liberty Institute, said there is federal precedent to maintain chapels in taxpayer-funded facilities.
    “We have a Congressional Prayer Room in the Capitol, we have chapels in government owned airports and many other government owned chapels,” Sasser told me.
    Sasser suspects Americans United is just testing Oklahoma’s new attorney general – Mike Hunter.
    “They want to see if he backs down or stands up to their ridiculous claims and I predict Mike Hunter will fight hard to preserve this historic chapel,” Sasser said.
    Meanwhile, many Oklahomans are furious over the university’s decision to capitulate to those who want to eradicate Christianity from the public marketplace.
    “I feel betrayed by our own country, upset that this could take place in America,” alum Jill Tucker Brown told me. “We are a nation founded on Christianity.”
    Ms. Brown believes the university should stand up to the atheist and secularist bullies.
    “I think it is absurd that anyone would go to this length (to remove the cross),” she told me. “If this university does not stand up for their rights, this will not be their only fight.”
    Anita Thomas is also a graduate of East Central University and she is heartbroken over the news.
    “I am heartbroken because our country has become a place where things like this can happen,” she told me. “
    Much like the Islamic radicals, the atheists and secularists want to erase Christianity from the public marketplace. And they are waging their cultural jihad not with bombs – but with lawsuits.

Indiana Judge Temporarily Blocks Law Requiring Parental Notification for Minors Obtaining Abortions
    Lauretta Brown Posted: Jun 30, 2017 2:30 PM
    Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky (PPINK) and the ACLU were granted a preliminary injunction Wednesday blocking provisions of a parental notification law requiring a minor’s parents to be notified that she is seeking an abortion. The law requires parental notification even if the minor petitions a court to waive parental consent, unless the judge in the case decides that notification is not in the minor’s best interests. Current Indiana law requires that the minor either obtain parental consent or petition to waive that consent.
    The ACLU filed a lawsuit on behalf of PPINK in May, claiming that the act "imposes new burdens on a young woman's access to abortion and on her health care providers, in violation of often reaffirmed constitutional rights."

CNN Producer: American Voters Are ‘Stupid as S**t’ And We All Know Trump Is A ‘F**king Crazy’ Clown
    Matt Vespa Posted: Jun 30, 2017 11:30 AM
    Throughout this week, James O’ Keefe’s Project Veritas has been uncovering what’s going on inside the control rooms of CNN. John Bonifield, a producer with the network’s Atlanta office, was captured by PV reporters saying that the Russian collusion story was “mostly bulls**t,” but it’s great for ratings. CNN contributor and former green jobs czar under the Obama administration Van Jones was caught admitting that the Russia story is a “big nothing burger.” Now, associate producer for New Day Jimmy Carr is caught saying that American voters are “stupid as s**t,” and that the network feels President Trump is “f**king crazy.” Carr also takes a swipe at Kellyanne Conway, the Counselor to the President, as the blonde who looks like she got hit with a shovel. He also says that President Trump isn’t a Republican, and that he’s probably paid for abortions.

Any wonder as to why I do not watch much news these days ?

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Quick before I head to the kitchen...Marthasville was the original name of my city....it was a railroad juncture...then burned to the ground, and has come back as Atlanta :)
    I'd stay for awhile and do a proper post, but I am STARVING! Gotta go dig out some kind of breakfast!
    Hi Valerie
    If You go back and click the Spoiler button, According to what I heard on TV and have seen on the Internet, There seems to be a question (probability) that the first name for what is Atlanta was not Marthasville :)
    Good Morning! holiday Monday as I heard someone on TV say this morning when talking about the traffic (mostly lack of) :)

I did have a good time yesterday...and enjoyed a good bit of the food! Which is why I'm making a pot of rice and beans this morning! Rice will be ready to give up its spot in the IP and then I'll start the beans...pinto's or small red...haven't decided yet...they will have to cook a bit longer as I neglected to set any out to soak overnight. So far all that I've cooked from dried, unsoaked have worked out well..

I was wrong about the bounce house....it was a big slide into a pool of water...maybe 2 inches or so...the kids loved it. I enjoyed a good authentic Latino dinner, avoiding the meat which looked good but not good enough for me to want to eat it. But...corn on the cob, rice, beans, slices of cucumber, tomato, onion .....all good!!
    Today at my house, it will be rice and beans, corn, portabella mushroom slices (grilled with the corn and strips of red, green and orange peppers)...and I think I'll try warming the tortillas on the grill too. I've not done that yet...

Anyhow rice has about 10 minutes to cook, Tom E. 's been in, fed, given his treat which he now thinks is part of EVERY meal, and he's back out. He was mad at me cuz I wouldn't give him more treats....sorry buddy! So he's sitting on one of the shelves I had put on the privacy fence for him, and he's glaring at me!!! Am I supposed to be afraid???? Goofy cat.

I think there isn't much else on my list for today.

Later...

Yup, the traffic was light here too. So many people took a 4 day Holiday Weekend.

FWIW, The Baked bean recipe my brother uses.
    Ingredients
    * 2 cups navy beans
    * 1/2 pound bacon *
    * 1 onion, finely diced
    * 3 tablespoons molasses
    * 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    * 1/2 cup ketchup
    * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    * 1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions
    1. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1 to 2 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.
    2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
    3. Arrange the beans in a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of dish, and layering them with bacon and onion.
    4. In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
    5. Bake for 3 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.

* bacon can be reduced if desired, just use proper old fashioned smoked bacon, have it sliced 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick, easier to get a nice even dice.

*if you don't have a beanpot, use a tall ovenproof vessel with a cover.

* could try smoked turkey as a alternate to the bacon, if fat and or calorie conscious

I suspect he adds extra bacon TBH.
    The rice and beans sounds tasty.

As I sit here I hear my Brother mowing the lawn, Fortunately it is his turn :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited July 2017
    Howdy y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

71 out there with an expected high of 86 and 30% chance of rain.

I do need to get out today to buy some canned cat food for Lilo. She has enough to get through tomorrow and that's it.

Pondering breakfast options.
    Hi Ed
    Predicted high of 90 today, yesterday I saw 95 in the shade in the back yard :(

I stopped for 2 eggs and 2 slices of Rye Toast while walking, I was a little early for the produce store open of 8AM. Once again I brought the Home fries back where my brother will use them.

I Picked up 3 types of fruit and 2 large Tomatoes at prices ranging from $0.79 to $0.99 a pound. Loaded up the backpack and headed for home. It is starting to feel warm in the sun too. The Back pack holds the Home fries in a sealed bowl that is then placed in a Zip Lock bag for insurance against it getting on the back pack, The Paperback I am currently reading while sitting there and a folding Book holder stand.

I am thinking about taking a day off from walking as a sort of one day Holiday Vacation for the 4th of July.

Have a enjoyable day
    Roger

Pastrami
    Take the corned beef and rub with spice mix equal ammounts to cover and crust
    1 Tablespoon Coriander ground more if needed
    1 teaspoon Black Pepper ground more if needed
    1 Tablespoon Paprika optional

Bake in the oven at 250* till the internal temp reaches 165-175*

I wonder if this simple bread recipe would work in the IP, Not having one to try.
    Easy Beer Bread Recipe
    This recipe should only take 10 minutes to prepare. The longest part is greasing the bread pan. The beer you use will determine how much the bread will rise and the density of the bread. I experimented with 10 different beers over the holidays and i list them below in the order i thought made the best bread. Everyone loved these breads.
    some sugested beers
    some of these are seasonal
    1. Youngs double chocolate stout
    2. Guiness stout
    3. Sam adams chocolate bock
    4. Dunkelweiss - Dark Wheat Beer
    5. Sam adams old fezziwig ale
    6. Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial stoudt
    7. Ommegang - Hennepin Farmhouse Saison
    8. Magic Hat - Circus Boy THE Hefeweizen
    9. Anchor Steam Christmas Ale
    10. Sam Adams Winter Ale

Preheat oven to 375
    3 Cups Self Rising Flour ( scant )
    1/2 Cup Sugar
    12oz Beer None of that light crap I actually like a little more liquid
    Note: ( a teaspoon of baking powder will help lighten texture, I often do this.)

Mix Sugar and flour in a large bowl, add beer. Mix with a wooden spoon until nice and sticky. Grease (butter) bread pan. pour in batter and use back of spoon to smooth out batter. Bake for 40-50 minutes or till a butter knife inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.

Note
    I used Becks dark beer, comes out good
    also black and tan
    and harp dark
    also Guiness stout is very good ( use most of14.5 oz can )