Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,206 Member
    Irish people taste New Zealand snacks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_gf1hmjEio
  • parityanimal
    edited August 2017
    Irish people taste more Polish snacks! That lady in the preview picture does not look happy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5EUVeuUjWI
  • parityanimal
    The new food technology for delivering ready to eat foods sounds good. Now if they can come up with nutritious, healthy meals...

• GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Good late, er early afternoon!
    I just read my post from last night. Boy I was tired and rather pissy. Sorry.
    Ed just said it all, if they can make the new food technology nutritious and healthy...that would be great. Sounds 'otherwise' to me, I think their motives are financial. Money's nice, but not at the expense of our health.

I slept about 11 hours. Those two late nights really wiped me out! So, since I missed breakfast I dug right into a bean & rice burrito that I concocted right out of my refrigerator. :). It was good, and there is a mango just waiting for me to slice up, soon.

Roger I'm so sorry you're feeling poorly. Fall is my downfall..others suffer in the spring from allergies, etc. I feel lousy in the fall. Have since I was a little kid. I wish for you Roger a very speedy recovery from what ever is causing your symptoms, being sick or just feeling sickly is miserable.

Ed...I found a really unique and delicious potato salad...thought of you and your many summer pool parties. Let me know if you're interested in reading it. Roger you too, though I think its mainly your brother who cooks???

Tom E. was happy to see his late breakfast, (and yes he ate before I did). Then he got some lap time on the couch, till he told me time was up...a little nippish, but no breaking of the skin. A rather obvious "quit already' in feline language. He had a treat, a few more bites, and then he tore thru the back porch into the woods. Whatever the attraction was back there he was in a hurry to be there! LOL!

Got my hair cut yesterday, and a few foils of lavender as Jimmy and I investigated a new technique. Its definitely there but not one of the bright in your face wild colors. I like it. Goes well with the white hair and the darker grays.

I should go cut the grass before today's rain/showers start falling.
    Ok...out I go...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Grass is cut...a lot of vines got cut, and man it was HOT outside....I finally knew I needed to be in the house and getting more water...so I've been inside for about half hour, watered, had a small wedge of watermelon with a bit of salt cuz I'd been so sweaty...
    Feeling happy that I got the grass mowed, and a start on those darned vines. (Blackberry, Cats Paw, and Virginia Creeper)

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Had a nice dinner with my friend, at an Irish pub downtown. Meehan's Public House is the name of the joint. We shared a hummus plate for appetizer and then she had chicken wings and I had a turkey and avocado sandwich that included a fried egg, with onion rings.

She sent me home with leftover chicken wings. As you can see, she's not having any great difficulty keeping her weight optimal!

p64lh46su11l.jpg

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Windy Day
    sEXjIz.gif

uk6dcG.jpg

cCxlLS.jpg

VAhxty.jpg

qXWp4h.jpg

cGj2DW.jpg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I did not do any walking today, I still have a sore throat. The temperature this morning was 68 on the news channel and 65 degrees on the front porch, FWIW.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    The new food technology for delivering ready to eat foods sounds good. Now if they can come up with nutritious, healthy meals...
    Hi Ed
    What a clear concise post. I wish I felt up to replying better to it, It was awesome to use a overworked word.

I agree avoid fattening cakes due to their being fattening.
    Had a nice dinner with my friend, at an Irish pub downtown. Meehan's Public House is the name of the joint. We shared a hummus plate for appetizer and then she had chicken wings and I had a turkey and avocado sandwich that included a fried egg, with onion rings.

She sent me home with leftover chicken wings. As you can see, she's not having any great difficulty keeping her weight optimal!

p64lh46su11l.jpg
    You are right, some people just seem to have no weight problems...
    And just as important, reasonably priced? If I see them I will most likely try one or two. Textures are one of the reasons I prefer the NS Frozen Dinner Entrees vs the Shelf Stable AKA Ready to go.

This system lets them use the existing infrastructure for distribution.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good late, er early afternoon!
    I just read my post from last night. Boy I was tired and rather pissy. Sorry.
    Ed just said it all, if they can make the new food technology nutritious and healthy...that would be great. Sounds 'otherwise' to me, I think their motives are financial. Money's nice, but not at the expense of our health.

I slept about 11 hours. Those two late nights really wiped me out! So, since I missed breakfast I dug right into a bean & rice burrito that I concocted right out of my refrigerator. :). It was good, and there is a mango just waiting for me to slice up, soon.

Roger I'm so sorry you're feeling poorly. Fall is my downfall..others suffer in the spring from allergies, etc. I feel lousy in the fall. Have since I was a little kid. I wish for you Roger a very speedy recovery from what ever is causing your symptoms, being sick or just feeling sickly is miserable.

Ed...I found a really unique and delicious potato salad...thought of you and your many summer pool parties. Let me know if you're interested in reading it. Roger you too, though I think its mainly your brother who cooks???

Tom E. was happy to see his late breakfast, (and yes he ate before I did). Then he got some lap time on the couch, till he told me time was up...a little nippish, but no breaking of the skin. A rather obvious "quit already' in feline language. He had a treat, a few more bites, and then he tore thru the back porch into the woods. Whatever the attraction was back there he was in a hurry to be there! LOL!

Got my hair cut yesterday, and a few foils of lavender as Jimmy and I investigated a new technique. Its definitely there but not one of the bright in your face wild colors. I like it. Goes well with the white hair and the darker grays.

I should go cut the grass before today's rain/showers start falling.
    Ok...out I go...

Hi Valerie
    I am still feeling poorly, however I did get a bit more sleep. Maybe today I won't end up snoozing the morning and a fair portion of the afternoon away :) or should that be :(

My brother was a bit snippy yesterday, no obvious reason. I suspect we all get that way some of the time.

You are correct my Brother is the cook, I do a mean microwave NS, frozen vegetables or Microwave Entree :)

I do make things like Egg Salad, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and simpler foods. One reason being I do not tend to use Spices or flavorings.
    Grass is cut...a lot of vines got cut, and man it was HOT outside....I finally knew I needed to be in the house and getting more water...so I've been inside for about half hour, watered, had a small wedge of watermelon with a bit of salt cuz I'd been so sweaty...
    Feeling happy that I got the grass mowed, and a start on those darned vines. (Blackberry, Cats Paw, and Virginia Creeper)

Later...
    I actually had a bit of watermelon the other day, My brother has been bringing home quarts of Fruit chunks from the Market. They seem to vary for content, One was A couple of slices of strawberries, Cantaloupe and Honeydew melons. The next one was mostly Honeydew & watermelon, the last one was Pineapple, Cantaloupe, Honeydew & Strawberries. I have not decided if they vary ti to keep the taste from going stale or if they are using up leftovers from the cold salad bar or both :)

Cheers
    Roger

P.S. Wish me luck feeling better soon, Wednesday it is forecast to hit 90 and humid :(
  • parityanimal
    Howdy y'all. It's magnificent Monday! 73 out there now with an anticipated high of 89 and 40% chance of rain.

When I got back from downtown last night, J had put the garbage and recycles to the curb so I didn't have to worry about that. Just scooped the cat boxes, added that to the garbage and was done! J really doesn't like dealing with the cat boxes, but will do them in a pinch.

I had the leftover chicken wings Dee sent home with me, along with some eggs and some oatmeal, for my breakfast this morning.

Need to get to the store today, since I didn't yesterday, but may just go to pick up my scrip at Walgreens and then stop at Aldi as it's the closest grocery store. Sometimes convenience is the key. Having generally low prices at Aldi doesn't hurt either! LOL!

Been up for a while but distracted by the usuals. I ordered a spiralizer with an hand crank handle this morning, as the small, handheld manual one I bought a while back (and finally got around to trying) did a good enough job when I tried it, and we enjoyed the results, but that little thing kills my wrists! I had to swap turning hands after a bit and I wasn't even spiralizing all that much stuff, just a couple of small potatoes. To be fair, raw potatoes are a fairly dense, hard vegetable but if it was that difficult with potatoes, how would it do on sweet potatoes or carrots? I'd probably end up in the hospital with swollen wrists and hands! I made ribbon spirals of one potato and spaghetti spirals of the other. Baked both spirals with a little butter flavored cooking spray, salt and pepper, and they tasted good and had a nice texture.

So I ordered a supposedly stronger model and we'll see how it works out. I'd like to try spiralizing zucchini to eat instead of pasta, for a nice "spaghetti" dinner. And the thin noodle spiral should make a great hash brown potatoes, though I have a Mooli that works well for that. The Mooli does only short sections of a veggie though, so you can't get long spirals or noodles, and the one slicing blade slices thin but not ribbon thin, and it has 4 grades of grating/shredding blades, one of which is very fine grate and perfect for hard cheeses. The slicing blade is perfect for making a fairly large amount of evenly sliced potatoes for a casserole, which is what I usually have used it for in the past. The second smallest grating/shredding blade is great for a carrot salad, the largest is good for julienne "shreds" of potato and the middle ones can be used for shreds (but not long spirals) of various vegetables or some softer (but not TOO soft) cheeses. I have used the Mooli off and on for years and even bought a spare.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• parityanimal
    RogerToo wrote: »
    And just as important, reasonably priced? If I see them I will most likely try one or two. Textures are one of the reasons I prefer the NS Frozen Dinner Entrees vs the Shelf Stable AKA Ready to go.

This system lets them use the existing infrastructure for distribution.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Hope your throat gets better soon! Might consider seeing a doctor.

Texture is definitely a big deal for me too. So many of the shelf stable items with any kind of pasta are ... well, I can't think of a polite, nice word to describe them!

Sometimes the taste is fine, but the texture! OMG! I realize that it must be nearly impossible to put pasta into a thick, shelf stable, ready to eat item without overcooking it, and wish them luck in figuring that out. I have had some spaghetti in the flat, white trays and, of course, some noodle soups that contained pasta that was acceptable. Barely. The process just doesn't really seem suited to pasta.

Some of the stews and chilis are decent, and the "meat and potatoes" with the meat and gravy on top of some mashed potatoes are so-so, and will do in a pinch.

But I've yet to have any shelf stable entree like that to rave over and give a 5 star rating. They just aren't generally very good, and I only use them when I am really in a hurry or not feeling able to cook for some reason.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...
  • parityanimal
    Valerie, I'd love to see the new potato salad recipe you found. Might even give it a try but doubt I'll ever get J to prefer any potato salad but his grandmother's recipe. It's a major comfort food and holiday treat for him.

I try to limit my making it enough so that he will never get tired of it, but will still have it often enough, in a given year, to keep him happy. :)

• GardenKatGardens
    Good Morning! Monday already. Even retired i still wish for a longer weekend. LOL!
    Ed, the photo of you and your friend Dee is great. You're both looking fit and fine!
    I'd forgotten that the potato salad was J's Gram's recipe. But I will post the recipe, and Roger you can either 'read right past it' or maybe share with your brother it if sounds good to you. I usually am suspicious of those pre sliced fresh fruits. I don't think they go to any great lengths to choose the ripest, or best fruits. I especially get disappointed with the cantaloupe. Hard dry cantaloupe just isn't worth bitting into!
    Roger, I do hope you are feeling much better today. Nothing wrong with snoozing away a morning and afternoon when your not feeling well. Rest and sleep are as good for you as Mom's Chicken Soup. IMHO...(did I get that right?) LOL. Till we bumped into Roger I was not accustomed to seeing text shorthand! Takes me awhile!!! :)

I'm about to head out the door to work on those vines some more, and edge the driveway. None of the yard work got done last week due to rain, so its all needed. Or did I?? Well whatever, it is all needing to be done this week!
    Hair on the right side of my head is a good example of common old 'bed head'...and then there's the lavender...may scare some of my neighbors...teehee!!

Ok, time to feed cat and me and scoot out the door..

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Hmmm. Working on the recipe....Ok...drag and drop not working...time to skillfully copy/paste!! :)

Potato, Corn, and Radish Salad with Crème Fraîche-Chive Dressing

My meals these days require less cooking than they do fresh produce assembly.
    This salad benefits from some time to relax, time for the dressing to permeate the potatoes. (I like to overcook the potatoes, so they sort of fall apart in the vinaigrette, but that’s a personal preference.)
    You can make this salad several hours before you serve it. (If you choose the egg version, make sure to refrigerate it in the interim.) You can easily double or triple the recipe, if you’re feeding a crowd. The salad is good for up to 3 days in the fridge.
    If you don’t have Champagne vinegar, use white wine vinegar instead. I got the idea to add a soft-boiled egg to the dressing from Food52. Serves 4-6
    *I make the dressing two different ways, depending on what I’m in the mood for. Using an egg nudges this salad in the direction of a classic, mayonnaise-based potato salad. It’s still bright, but decidedly richer. Skipping the egg in favor of lime juice is brighter still. The dressing is still creamy though, from the mustard and crème fraîche.
    salad:
    8-10 (440 grams) baby (or new) Yukon gold potatoes
    2 ears corn
    1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
    1 bunch scallions, whites and light greens,
    sliced 1/3 heaping cup minced chives .

Dressing: 5 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon neutral oil, like canola or grapeseed
    2 tablespoons crème fraîche
    3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon hot honey (or 1 teaspoon honey + a pinch of chili powder)
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup minced chives

Scrub the potatoes. Move them to a medium pot full of cold, well-salted water. Turn the heat to high. Boil the potatoes until fork tender, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, strip the husks from both ears of corn. When the potatoes have finished cooking, remove them to a colander, but keep the pot on the boil. Add the corn to the pot; cook for 2 minutes. Remove the corn from the water. [If making the egg version of the vinaigrette, allow the water to return to a boil. Place the egg in the water, and then turn off the heat. Cover the pot with a lid, and let the egg idle for 10 minutes. Remove the egg to a bowl of ice water. When the egg is cool enough to handle, peel the egg, and then move it to the mixer you’re using to make the dressing.]
    When the potatoes are still warm, but cool enough to handle, quarter them and place them in a serving bowl. Cut the corn away from the cobs, and add the kernels to the bowl too. Add the sliced radishes, scallions, and chives.

dressing:
    Into the bowl of a blender, add: the olive oil, neutral oil, crème fraîche, Champagne vinegar, lemon juice, honey, mustard, chives, scallion, and the egg or lime, depending on which version you’re making. Blend the dressing for 30 seconds, until the scallion breaks down, and the dressing is emulsified.
    Fold the vinaigrette into the vegetables. (You will likely have extra dressing. Save this: if you won’t be serving the salad right away, I recommend holding back a tablespoon or two of the dressing anyway, to stir in right before serving.) Serve warm, or at room temperature.

Keep in mind I haven't actually made this yet...just thought it sounded interesting, and summery, and suitable for a crowd...
    Needless to say I'd have to sub the crème fraîche, but I can get around that pretty easily.

Now I really am going out the door...nope...feeding the cat. Then out the door.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    These all look ripe and ready to pick. The white and black on on the bottom looks a lot like what our Kiara might look like when she grows up.

mfarzurgih0g.jpg
  • GardenKatGardens
    I swear your Kiara and my Tom E. look soooo much alike.
    I've seen pear trees, and apple trees, and such....don't think I've ever seen a kitten tree! So, do you just walk by and pick one? LOL!!!
    Cleared out another swatch of vines, this one included berried Poke plants and redbud trees. More to do out there...maybe tomorrow. For now I need to dispose the cuttings, shower, go to the gym...and....I may go to Publix and pick up another quarter watermelon and of course a Powerball ticket for Wednesday. An ear of corn would also be nice...I've got enough onion, peppers, and portabella's to make a nice dinner of Fajitas.

Later...
  • parityanimal
    edited August 2017
    I got to Walgreens and Aldi. The slip said my insurance saved me $54.31 on my $0.68 prescription!

I managed to get out of Aldi without spending the whole wallet, but I did spend $58.03. I have salad four large servings (or 8 smaller servings) and I got eggs, dressing for the salad (feeling lazy about making it this week) some cheese, milk, whole wheat white bread and miscellaneous other items and feel like I got my money's worth compared to the other big chains.

Tonight we have the regular, monthly Orchid Society meeting. I need to make the coffee for it in a few hours and slice up the cheese I bought for a snack. But I can slice the cheese quickly while the coffee is brewing. I don't need to slice the crackers. LOL.

• RogerToo
    edited August 2017
    Hi
    I did not do any walking today, I still have a sore throat. The temperature this morning was 68 on the news channel and 65 degrees on the front porch, FWIW.

http://time.com/4872545/neurotic-longer-life/
    Being Neurotic May Help You Live Longer
    Amanda MacMillan Jul 25, 2017

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    q7gafB.jpg

LcR0Ly.jpg

t8W4GX.jpg

yWYcXr.jpg

IqOJre.gif