Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone

Options

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,616 Member
    Options
    The party was great! My side dish was well received and the burgers and dogs were good, though the burgers were a bit too well cooked. Still, I ate one, no bun. And the dog was Hebrew National, my favorite brand! They broke the kosher on the dogs though, by cooking them on the same grill as cheeseburgers. Oh well, I doubt anyone at the party cared about that.

We stayed about 5 hours and then came home, where J had some leftover fried rice for his dinner and I, not wanting much, pretty much just made a small filet of red snapper, with canola oil spray, salt, pepper, rosemary, and paprika.

A light, and quite tasty, dinner.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some only once...
  • GardenKatGardens
    GardenKatGardens Posts: 2,496 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    I'm sitting here just about 2 cups into my coffee, and nearly raring to go…but thought I'd stop by here first.
    Kitchen duty today…some clean-up, but mostly cooking a few things. Starting with breakfast! :)

Ed your pool party sounds like you had fun…and the red snapper mmmmmm! :)

Had a really nice rain last night, complete with a light show and great sound affects!! The cats were not impressed. Tom E. was the first wet cat to appear, and he finding my bedroom door had been left open promptly dashed under my bed. So, he was in til He was ready to re-appear. Eventually Hoot showed up equally as soaked…so cat treats on the porch, and I was finally alone in the house and could go to bed!!

Today looks like we could be in for another round, perhaps a bit less wild than last night?
    Cats have had their breakfast and are napping in various fav. spots…I'm headed for the kitchen.
    Thinking wilted spinach and avocado toast might be breakfast!

Later...
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Working a long closing tonight, but the light at the end of the tunnel is visible! E will be back from vacation next week, and A is back with us for the summer, finished with his classroom training and just needs to do his refresher On the Job Training. He might be with me for the second half of tonight's long close and if he is, then he, of course, needs to to most of the cash register and if the weather isn't too horrible then I can try to get some of the deck extra clean and well picked up. I'm sure he'll be a quick study since there is nothing much changed since last summer and really, to my way of thinking, just a few hours of refresher should be all he needs.

Just some bacon and a little bit of potato for breakfast. Working on my first cup of tea now. Lilo, incidentally, liked the red snapper too. :)

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    :smiley: Ed!! You can enjoy my breakfast with bacon! I'll leave that item out! :wink:
    Actually I ended up doing the big white bean and greens recipe..it is so good, and had a nice thick slice of 5 grain bread with a quarter of an avocado mashed on top of it. I am grinning ear to ear, like one of those pesky possums used to do if they found food on the back porch!!

I've been feeling really guilty about not making compost this summer, and today, finally, I remembered what I need to do. If I just put the veg. peels, seeds, etc out there, and cover them with a layer of compost….the darn creatures dig them up and eat them. SOOO, last year I solved that by digging a hole, covering the vegs and then laying a big long strip of chicken wire over it. That kept the little devils out! I may have to go buy another length of chicken wire, as I think DS1 threw it away, not knowing its purpose. :)
    (I don't think the raccoons took the chicken wire home to make a front yard to go with their nice warm stolen bed, although the mental image and the very thought makes me laugh!!! )

Shoulder exercises up next, and then I'm about to steam some veggies for later. I ate more than enough calories for both lunch and breakfast…so I'll be eating lightly the rest of the day. That's OK, cuz my breakfast was outstanding!
  • capsnut
    capsnut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday All,
    Today is like Friday for me as I'm off for the rest of the week after today. I'm meeting some club members tomorrow morning to go up to Hermit Island and prepare the site for the rally which starts on Friday. The weatherman says strong thunder showers Thursday night and then pretty much sunny for the rest of the weekend with warm temperatures. I'm taking the smoker and a new tent, so this will be a good test for the new tent to see how it holds up in the rain. Lots to do today, need to pick up the stuff I'm smoking at the rally and start loading the Jeep tonight. Should be fun. Have a good day all!
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Good Wednesday Morning!
    Cats and I are fed…chiro appt late morning. Whole Foods for a couple items…then the day is mine! Storms later than we've been having…like tonite while I'm sleeping!

Ed, over here I had total for Mon & Tues = inch of rain. Same over there? (Spell checker has lost its mind, It doesn't like 'inch'???? I dunno!!)

Don, feels good to have an early Friday doesn't it? Hope all goes well for your rally. You'll be the hit of the rally with your smoker. Hope your new tent has been 'seasoned/conditioned' or what ever you call it to make it water proof. I spent a miserable but fun week in a tent that wasn't, in the Dry Tortugas! (Tropical Depression, and lottsa rain…but at least it was warm!) Long long ago…never went camping after!

About time for LeeAnn to resurface? They must have gone for a very long weekend! :)
    Roger???? MIA!!!

Know what I miss over here? Among other things the 'lurkers'. I know, sounds strange. But on the NS boards, the were the folks that popped in, dropped a comment on occasion. You could tell an average of how many there were by watching the number of views vs. the number of posts! :) It was interesting…

Later...
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    I googled the island Don!!! went to this page after seeing an incredible aerial vies.. http://www.hermitisland.com/index.html

Count me in!! Its BEAUTIFUL, and so many nature trails, and beaches, etc. WOW!!!!
    Before you sign me up though, let me know how the tent went!!! LOL!!!
    Have a beautiful stay!
  • parityanimal
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Working a 6 hour close tonight, and the last 4 hours I WILL have the returning guy with me, unlike last night. So I can kind of take it easy and let him do the till while I make sure he still knows how to do all the side work.

We had a LOT of rain between Monday night and last night. I started looking for gopherwood last night!

Here's my latest bloomers:

20150527_103542_zpssld1xvol.jpg

20150527_103530_zpsbzs5cv4j.jpg

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    Back in the house from running around. I hope I can get to all the messages that are accumulating here. We spent the Last two mornings chopping up IVY pulled off of the shed out back, Put into containers that will fit in the car and taken to the bin in the recycle center. We did get a price of around $1000 to do it all. Whatever we can do to reduce that is a good thing. That corner of the yard has gotten out of hand with the neighbors Ivy coming over the fence and covering things. Then on to the produce store for Lettuce, Bananas, Cherries and Nice crunchy Pears.
    Now I am waiting for the laundry to finish in the dryer. Maybe tomorrow I'll vacuum.
    The party was great! My side dish was well received and the burgers and dogs were good, though the burgers were a bit too well cooked. Still, I ate one, no bun. And the dog was Hebrew National, my favorite brand! They broke the kosher on the dogs though, by cooking them on the same grill as cheeseburgers. Oh well, I doubt anyone at the party cared about that.

We stayed about 5 hours and then came home, where J had some leftover fried rice for his dinner and I, not wanting much, pretty much just made a small filet of red snapper, with canola oil spray, salt, pepper, rosemary, and paprika.

A light, and quite tasty, dinner.

Hi
    I would probably have liked them even better well done. Many People eat the Kosher dogs as they believe them to have better quality meat.

Cheers
    Roger
    Good Tuesday Morning!
    I'm sitting here just about 2 cups into my coffee, and nearly raring to go…but thought I'd stop by here first.
    Kitchen duty today…some clean-up, but mostly cooking a few things. Starting with breakfast! :)

Ed your pool party sounds like you had fun…and the red snapper mmmmmm! :)

Had a really nice rain last night, complete with a light show and great sound affects!! The cats were not impressed. Tom E. was the first wet cat to appear, and he finding my bedroom door had been left open promptly dashed under my bed. So, he was in til He was ready to re-appear. Eventually Hoot showed up equally as soaked…so cat treats on the porch, and I was finally alone in the house and could go to bed!!

Today looks like we could be in for another round, perhaps a bit less wild than last night?
    Cats have had their breakfast and are napping in various fav. spots…I'm headed for the kitchen.
    Thinking wilted spinach and avocado toast might be breakfast!

Later...

Hi Kat
    I guess I have been MIA, I have been keeping busy doing other things :)
    BTW I have been watering as we need rain up here.

Roger
    capsnut wrote: »
    Happy Wednesday All,
    Today is like Friday for me as I'm off for the rest of the week after today. I'm meeting some club members tomorrow morning to go up to Hermit Island and prepare the site for the rally which starts on Friday. The weatherman says strong thunder showers Thursday night and then pretty much sunny for the rest of the weekend with warm temperatures. I'm taking the smoker and a new tent, so this will be a good test for the new tent to see how it holds up in the rain. Lots to do today, need to pick up the stuff I'm smoking at the rally and start loading the Jeep tonight. Should be fun. Have a good day all!

Hi
    It must be nice to have two long weekends in a row.
    Enjoy the Rally.
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Hey Roger,
    Good to see you. That must have been a really big job getting the ivy off the shed, etc. English Ivy is a real pest down here…and hard as heck to kill!

"Hi Kat
    BTW I have been watering as we need rain up here."

I do believe this round of storms coming up here yet today may get over your way. Hope so…nothing beats RAIN water on your gardens!
    We've had a bit over an inch this week…and more promised tonite, and tomorrow morning. A reprieve Sunday and more rain for Monday!!! That said, come July and August we'll be watering too. Never fails.

I picked up some sweet cherries today at the grocery, they are sooo good. Hope you found some nice ones too! Also got banana's! Picked up spinach and kale for my greens this week. So, we'll both be eating some really good food this week!

Later...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hey Roger,
    Good to see you. That must have been a really big job getting the ivy off the shed, etc. English Ivy is a real pest down here…and hard as heck to kill!

"Hi Kat
    BTW I have been watering as we need rain up here."

I do believe this round of storms coming up here yet today may get over your way. Hope so…nothing beats RAIN water on your gardens!
    We've had a bit over an inch this week…and more promised tonite, and tomorrow morning. A reprieve Sunday and more rain for Monday!!! That said, come July and August we'll be watering too. Never fails.

I picked up some sweet cherries today at the grocery, they are sooo good. Hope you found some nice ones too! Also got banana's! Picked up spinach and kale for my greens this week. So, we'll both be eating some really good food this week!

Later...

Hi Kat
    So far only the one short side and part of the back are done, then on to the ground!

I have been watering, the Green Bush Beans and the Yellow Bush Beans are sprouting and some are putting out the regular leaves. My Brothers Zucchini is growing better than my Yellow squash so far. The Tomatoes are starting to bloom and his Basil seems to be doing OK.

Oops, I hear thunder so I am getting off the computer and flipping the AC to it to off too.

Cheers
    Roger
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Ok, am I missing a new page?
  • GardenKatGardens
    Options

Good Morning….its Thursday.
    Don's long weekend and trip to get the rally site set up! Busy, busy!!
    If you haven't looked up Hermit Island try to do that….so we can all be super jealous of the weekend he's going to have!!!

Rain, and more rain. DS1 and family returned yesterday. I'd sent him a photo of my rain gauge….with its inch and a half rain. He sent me his….over 2 inches. His garden must be really nice!

No real 'direction' for today. Going to enjoy it as it happens! :)

Later...

• RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Valerie
    I have noticed one odd thing. where it shows new if they are split on the two pages it shows one of them, same thing with quotes, if I quote from page 5 here I need to reply there and post it, then go to page 6.

We had a Loud Thunderstorm roll through last evening. Later when the rain had stopped My Brother & I were out walking and the route I had planned to use was closed due to a tree that fell onto the power lines. Oh well maybe today for that route. I try and choose a different route through the neighborhood each day.

On the plus side I do not have to water today :)

Have a Great Day All
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

I've completed most of a rather grueling 2 weeks at work, what with the boss's brother dying and one of the other employees on vacation. I've got today off. There are actually a few more days of the other employee's vacation but the boss is back and we're training a returning employee who worked with us last summer so he'll be replacing the one who is permanently leaving next week.

So, since I have the day off, it's laundry day, and it's barbecue day! I soaked some great northern beans overnight and I've got some thermonuclear baked beans going in a small slow cooker, and some boneless pork ribs, with a little seasoning, going in another slow cooker.

I've whipped up a decent sized bowl of my dad style, *kitten* kicking (much more *kitten* kicking than what he usually made), barbecue sauce, got ingredients for deviled eggs, potato salad, stir fried cole slaw and some tofu to barbecue for J.

Dinner will be ready in 8 or 9 hours...

Breakfast was some baked perch, seasoned with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and paprika. High fiber, low carb toast on the side.

Finishing second cup of tea now, since I've finally got everything going in the kitchen.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Yea! Roger got rain! (Sorry about the downed tree…we have a lot of them right now from our rains)

Ed, you make me feel lazy! We both had 'different' breakfasts. Though fish is not as strange as my veggies were!
    I have been having avocado toast several times a week at breakfast, yesterday I smashed my quarter of avocado directly on my wooden cutting board, and it picked up a bit of garlic flavor from garlic I'd chopped a bit earlier…and it was GOOD…so made more garlic laced avocado toast, and had about a quarter of a steamed sweet potato, and a healthy half cup of steamed green beans from yesterday, and the left over left overs of the Fried white bean and spinach. Tasty breakfast, even if not exactly 'normal'. :)
    Yesterday I bought dino kale to make the next batch….and forgot the canned beans. (Don't ask…YES, they were on the list). So, a quick trip to Publix in the next day or two for some large white beans!
    Besides feeding my face, my only other accomplishment today was to sleep in, and take the recycles to the bin in the garage, and then wash out the 5 gallon waste basket I keep in the kitchen for recycles. I'm guessing I should be hanging my head in shame? NOPE!!! This is my week 'off' before I begin working for free for Valerie!!! LOL!
    Later…
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi Valerie
    Nothing wrong with being lazy the last week of work :)

I ordered the new Leather Belt and some Bobbins for the old Singer sewing machine in the back room. I figured I might as well learn how to use it in case of future need. The Old Leather belt had dried out and the machine would not even turn. Some Liquid wrench in all the lube points and it works like new.

I was surprised that Singer had downloadable PDFs of owners manuals for all their sewing machines. So once I identified the model, a Model 27/28 from 1895 I downloaded and printed the manual, all 31 pages. Singer also had a page where You could look up the machines age by serial number. There is something reassuring about a company that has support like that.

It even has what appears to be all the attachments.

I figure I can use it for repairs and such. Of course I have nothing that needs repairs but why not be ready? :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • parityanimal
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Your breakfast sounds tasty to me Val! You know I'm one of those "eat anything for any meal" type of people because food is food, and it doesn't matter what "official" meal it is.

My baked beans and ribs are beginning to smell WONDERFUL but dinner is still some hours away, so I'll just have to cope. The last load of laundry is in the dryer, and I may hear the bed calling me for a nap, if only to get further away from the kitchen where I'm smelling the wonderful smells of food! Our office space is right next door to the kitchen, as is the laundry room, and I have to go THROUGH the kitchen to get from one to the other, so it's not been easy to get away from the smell, as yet.

• GardenKatGardens
    Options
    Glad I came back this evening!
    Roger you have a 'treasure' with that sewing machine. If you ever have time, I'd love to see a picture or two of it!
    My Grandma had and old Singer it was a treadle powered one…and my Grandfather being the nice guy decided to help Grandma out, and he attached a little motor to the belt drive….and Grandma nearly immediately, lost control of the speed, and stitched up one of her fingers..to the first knuckle. You know that Had To Hurt!!! Mom also had an old Singer, and I have no idea what happened to it…it was in a nice cabinet, and had a fold out lid, so you had a lot of 'flat' surface to get your fabric or whatever all laid out. What I really remember about the old Singers was the beautiful stitches they made.

And ED…I understand about smelling your dinner long before you can eat it! Sometimes that drives me crazy….and other times, after I've smelled it for a long bit I really then don't want to eat it. I know, weird!
    I've not been 'food/meal' specific for a very many years. I think it was because I worked at night. In TN when I'd get off work, there wasn't anything open that I wanted to eat….ATL is quite different :) Most any kind of food, most any time of the day or night!!! LOL!!

Ok, enough food talk, now I'm hungry! Talked to DS1 and he was in quite a bit of rain and traffic…lots of thunder here, from a distance…no rain..yet. They, WSB weather, just said rain again Daily all next week….so much for yard work!
  • Leemom3
    Leemom3 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Glug, glug...that's the sound of me resurfacing! So nice that I am noticed when not around!

Val, you are correct: Marc and I were out and about camping. Wild yes...woolies, no. It has been quite warm and lovely here. We just got back yesterday afternoon and I am leaving this morning for the weekend again...for a ladies only camping gathering. Staying at a very "fancy" campground (full hook-ups, including cable). This isn't my usual place to "camp" (it is tough to call this camping), but I wanted to meet this group of camping ladies...I'll let you know if it was worth it...after the weekend!

Going back to the NS decision, I have to wonder what the long-term plan is. As far as demographics and money, don't the younger (18-whatever) folks have less disposable income for unnecessaries/luxuries, like NS? I would think the older folks might be better to go after (but not yet on Social Security/fixed incomes). I guess I will never make it in predicting the future of businesses!

Enjoy the day folks...and Val, are you now completely, officially retired, or did I read that wrong??