Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)

Replies

• hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Very disappointed in Lowes. 10:40am purchased and paid for dishwasher. 4:00pm they call to tell me that they discontinued that model snd cannot provide it. Then transfer me multiple times and then say they’ll call but don’t. I felt angry. But fortunately Sears was happy to sell me a dishwasher. Sigh.
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Hi All!

Sounds like everyone had a good Thanksgiving! And did some fun stuff! I don't envy those candy bars in the house Roger!

My son had picked up a professional roasting pan without a cover on sale a few years ago. The 40 lb. turkey fit in it with some, though not much, room to spare. Since he cooks it in one of those Reynold's cooking bags, not having it "covered" was no problem. It was apparently a trifle difficult scooting it in the bag. He cooked it without the stuffing in. Probably would have required 4 long loaves of bread or 4 boxes/ bags of prepared. The bags cook nicely in half the time it would regularly take. No getting up at 5am like the olden days, lol. Since he is not doing that size again, I do not have to warn him about those really big turkeys. I know he bought it without any growth hormones or such, because he is careful with the kids. But sometimes those big birds have come under scrutiny for that, and their size as it is hard for them to get around and walk normally. He seemed a happy bird to me, aside from all the " being lunch" thing. He was appreciated! :# It fit in the oven with room to spare, and they cooked the sweet potato casserole ahead of time, and rewarmed it with the marshmallow while the turkey rested.

My family and ancestors would have had a heart attack from the cooking turkey without stuffing in it, lol. The end of traditions is kind of sad...We have cooked "our" stuffing for 4 generations, and I still like it best though I love a good cornbread dressing as well. We also used to have what my great grandma called her stinky salad. It is just torn salad, onion and cut up boiled egg. It is mixed and refrigerated for at least 12-18 hrs, then mixed with our potato salad dressing mix as the salad dressing. I used to give my onion slices away, but now I use sweet onion like vidalia, or the greens from scallions. Of course you do have to like onion, or the essence of it! And of course for 3.5 generations we cooked our turkey in a brown paper bag. The reynolds bag does an equally great job in half the time, I concede. But the traditions have come to a dead stop with me. :( Brandy, (Andy's wife) had no sense of smell from at birth, so things taste really different for her, and textures are hard too. She had never cooked or cooked from scratch, and is really picky. Which I get why from the aforementioned. But apparently she is kind of overboard too. She can't eat anything but white meat, hates dark meat, can not eat anything off of a bone, be it chicken, ribs, steak, ect. Cannot eat gravy, won't eat margarine or butter unless it is in a recipe or hidden, and can not bear to touch meat of any kind. She could not bare to eat skin or fat, no matter how well marbled, and has passed it to her kids. It is fine if someone else cooks it, it is not an issue of morality with her. Now I get the no smell texture problem, but she darn near died holding the bag and helping Andy push the turkey in. And who does she marry into ? A family of foodies...

So she really is kinda self righteous because eating is not important to her, lucky her. And she is really turned off because I am overweight and is horrified the kids would eat anything I might like or eat like I do. --And I get part of that. -But she has made those kids so obsessive if they do not eat like her. They will have barely a teaspoon of potatoes of either kind, a piece of white meat the size of a quarter, and a veg if they like it. They barely eat what is on the plate, though they will eat bread or rolls, usually without butter. Then about 10 minutes after eating they will eat more bread or a cookie, though she has limited them on the amounts now at least. They were afraid to taste the cinnamon butter I brought for the rolls, even though they will eat cinnamon rolls, and if we go to Texas steakhouse (which we don't anymore) they loved that butter and it is the same thing. She has Andy perfecting the stuffing, which is really awful... I AM being petty here.....It is bread cubes, a little broth (?), I am assuming a little butter, and LOTS of chopped basil, like a cup full or more for say an 8x5 casserole.. She doesn't like celery or onion..All you can taste is basil, which I am sure she must like as it is strong and she can taste it. I do not mind that.... It is the pooh pooing of all else that gets me. I take a small amount, and cover it with gravy, that just me and Andy eat, lol. I know it sounds awful, but my son is a good cook, so I don't know if it is just me or what. I do know I got all the leftover dressing to take home. She does not eat leftovers either, (unless it is pizza), or eat any soups ( homemade or canned) and or course neither do the kids, except chili. Not everyone's mind you...no onion, celery, peppers and she is iffy on most beans- So Andy never makes homemade soups though he likes them. I am wondering if this stuffing is so good, why I get all the leftover dressing as he likes leftover dressing, lol...Wouldn't you make two or keep half? Luckily, I do eat most anything...but I admit it goes in the garbage when I get home, and I truly eat most things. I am very nice, I eat it there and tell them it is good... and they believe me... I also eat my pecan pie piece and pumpkin either the night before or for breakfast, as I guess she doesn't like that either, and of course the kids don't eat it if she doesn't. She does not like nuts or apparently pumpkin custard... They did make a wonderful chocolate tart and we got slivers of that, but it was really good.....(And we cannot have two desserts, heaven forbid...) And it is her house, lol....
    .....I would rather be fat!!!! :/ ....Therapy done.... mea culpa! lol!
    I do enjoy it (esp. the real mashed (potatoes!), and am thankful they invite me! Just miss when the kids were little and my grandparents...

So what did you have as a vegetarian, Val? I would not mind eating my turkey another day, and think I would enjoy what you would prepare. I do like something that says Thanksgiving though, like a traditional pie choice, or something.
    I know what you had last year sounded yummy!! Trying to dig myself out of the bad mother in law hole.... :D

Roger, the pork roast sounded good enough to go back, that is for sure. Glad you walked for the Black Friday stuff!

Val, consider yourself lucky. My Lowes washer and dryer are the worst I have ever had. I so wish I would have gone to the Montgomery Sears and bought theirs. I love my stove, but I think I lost a burner today, and my stove looks awful because grease has built up in the window of the oven and cannot be cleaned. Total design flaw. It looks awful. And the stove, Lowes, is not that old. I love the design itself and it baked and cooked well, but the oven light is always burnt out.. Sears here has closed, though there might be a small satellite Sears in Prattville still. You may have been blessed, lol!!

Sorry for the epistle!! Mom in laws have to vent sometime....Take care all! Jan

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    And even more humor, Enjoy

Hi
    I was out walking again this Morning + 1 Cent. The temperature this morning was 40 on the porch and 44 on the cable channel. There was no wind when I left the house and it started blowing gently as I was walking. I also saw two groups of Deer crossing the road ahead of me, 2 in the first group and then a minute later a little further down the road 5 more.

I stopped at the Grocery Store for Bananas and they were riper than I wanted as they have to last for days so I stopped at the produce store where they were more to my liking. I also picked up a 99 cent Raspberries, D'Anjou Pears and Red Plums.

http://theweek.com/articles/730098/how-ride-apocalypse-big-city
    How to ride out the apocalypse in a big city
    Eugene K. Chow, November 24, 2017

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/24/church-sweden-stop-clergy-calling-god-lord-bid-crack-gendered/
    Church of Sweden to stop clergy calling God 'he' or 'the Lord' in bid to crack down on gendered language
    By Our Foreign Staff, 24 November 2017 • 11:54am

http://www.sfgate.com/education/article/Many-college-students-going-hungry-need-donated-12380152.php?t=251bc0d8ea
    Many college students going hungry, need donated food groceries and food stamps
    By Nanette Asimov Updated 2:25 pm, Thursday, November 23, 2017

http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-malibu-homeless-soup-kitchen-20171124-story.html
    Malibu church pressured to end homeless dinners, with some saying it lures needy to upscale city
    By Gale Holland, Nov 24, 2017 | 7:35 AM

https://globalnews.ca/news/3877517/1-cuddled-close-1-was-on-guard-and-1-looked-for-food-how-3-dogs-helped-annette-poitras-survive/
    1 cuddled close, 1 was on guard and 1 looked for food: how 3 dogs helped Annette Poitras survive
    By Amy Judd Online News Producer Global News

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/662284/asteroid-nasa-3200-Phaethon-earth-christmas-december-17
    Massive 3-mile wide Christmas asteroid to practically GRAZE Earth next month
    A HUGE asteroid will very nearly graze the planet next month – just days before Christmas.

By Rachel O'Donoghue / Published 24th November 2017

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mysterious-booms-heard-around-world-experts-baffled-144922921.html
    Mysterious booms are being heard around the world - and experts are baffled
    Rob Waugh, Yahoo News UK • November 23, 2017

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Happy Saturday. After about a year with no working dishwasher, I ordered one (Black Friday 30% off). Installation will be mid-December. I have all the Columbo DVDs, tv shows and the ‘80s/90s movies too. Definitely a few days worth. Jan- I’m curious about that 40-pounder too.
    Very disappointed in Lowes. 10:40am purchased and paid for dishwasher. 4:00pm they call to tell me that they discontinued that model and cannot provide it. Then transfer me multiple times and then say they’ll call but don’t. I felt angry. But fortunately Sears was happy to sell me a dishwasher. Sigh.

Hi Val
    I'm sorry to hear that, Lowes should have offered You a equivalent or better model for that price since they were the one that made the mistake, That would be good customer relations.
    I hope You get Your Money back.

I am my Dishwasher and I sort of work :)

Sears, Kenmore brand ?

Good Luck
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Hi All!

Sounds like everyone had a good Thanksgiving! And did some fun stuff! I don't envy those candy bars in the house Roger!

My son had picked up a professional roasting pan without a cover on sale a few years ago. The 40 lb. turkey fit in it with some, though not much, room to spare. Since he cooks it in one of those Reynold's cooking bags, not having it "covered" was no problem. It was apparently a trifle difficult scooting it in the bag. He cooked it without the stuffing in. Probably would have required 4 long loaves of bread or 4 boxes/ bags of prepared. The bags cook nicely in half the time it would regularly take. No getting up at 5am like the olden days, lol. Since he is not doing that size again, I do not have to warn him about those really big turkeys. I know he bought it without any growth hormones or such, because he is careful with the kids. But sometimes those big birds have come under scrutiny for that, and their size as it is hard for them to get around and walk normally. He seemed a happy bird to me, aside from all the " being lunch" thing. He was appreciated! :# It fit in the oven with room to spare, and they cooked the sweet potato casserole ahead of time, and rewarmed it with the marshmallow while the turkey rested.
    Hi Jan
    Strange that You should mention 5AM as that is when my Brother came down to put the Turkey in the Roaster and get it started, I heard him moving around so I was up a little early and helped get it stuffed, covered and into the oven.

The cooking bag That popped into my head when You mentioned it was a cloth bag that You put into the Turkey and then fill with stuffing, That makes it super easy to get the stuffing out cleanly according to what I have read.

Since we did not do that When we broke down the Bird yesterday I was using my hand to get the balance of the stuffing I did not get out Thanksgiving day out of the cavity :) I was thinking I should have ordered the cloth bag :(
    My family and ancestors would have had a heart attack from the cooking turkey without stuffing in it, lol. The end of traditions is kind of sad...We have cooked "our" stuffing for 4 generations, and I still like it best though I love a good cornbread dressing as well. We also used to have what my great grandma called her stinky salad. It is just torn salad, onion and cut up boiled egg. It is mixed and refrigerated for at least 12-18 hrs, then mixed with our potato salad dressing mix as the salad dressing. I used to give my onion slices away, but now I use sweet onion like vidalia, or the greens from scallions. Of course you do have to like onion, or the essence of it! And of course for 3.5 generations we cooked our turkey in a brown paper bag. The reynolds bag does an equally great job in half the time, I concede. But the traditions have come to a dead stop with me. :( Brandy, (Andy's wife) had no sense of smell from at birth, so things taste really different for her, and textures are hard too. She had never cooked or cooked from scratch, and is really picky. Which I get why from the aforementioned. But apparently she is kind of overboard too. She can't eat anything but white meat, hates dark meat, can not eat anything off of a bone, be it chicken, ribs, steak, ect. Cannot eat gravy, won't eat margarine or butter unless it is in a recipe or hidden, and can not bear to touch meat of any kind. She could not bare to eat skin or fat, no matter how well marbled, and has passed it to her kids. It is fine if someone else cooks it, it is not an issue of morality with her. Now I get the no smell texture problem, but she darn near died holding the bag and helping Andy push the turkey in. And who does she marry into ? A family of foodies...
    Our Family always cooked the stuffing in the bird too and if any was left over it went around the Turkey. I do eat Onions, It is just that I like them cooked :)

Ribs not on the bone :( They just are not ribs if they are not also finger food :)

Nothing Like a well marbled Rib Eye crisped on the outside.

I do eat the Turkey or Chicken skin if it is crispy, It needs to be crispy. I did not like this turkey skin due to the seasoning my brother rubbed it with, a Shame as it was nice and crispy, well browned.

I gather the no sense of smell thing is a genetic thing, It could be worse, imagine a no sense of taste :)
    So she really is kinda self righteous because eating is not important to her, lucky her. And she is really turned off because I am overweight and is horrified the kids would eat anything I might like or eat like I do. --And I get part of that. -But she has made those kids so obsessive if they do not eat like her. They will have barely a teaspoon of potatoes of either kind, a piece of white meat the size of a quarter, and a veg if they like it. They barely eat what is on the plate, though they will eat bread or rolls, usually without butter. Then about 10 minutes after eating they will eat more bread or a cookie, though she has limited them on the amounts now at least. They were afraid to taste the cinnamon butter I brought for the rolls, even though they will eat cinnamon rolls, and if we go to Texas steakhouse (which we don't anymore) they loved that butter and it is the same thing. She has Andy perfecting the stuffing, which is really awful... I AM being petty here.....It is bread cubes, a little broth (?), I am assuming a little butter, and LOTS of chopped basil, like a cup full or more for say an 8x5 casserole.. She doesn't like celery or onion..All you can taste is basil, which I am sure she must like as it is strong and she can taste it. I do not mind that.... It is the pooh pooing of all else that gets me. I take a small amount, and cover it with gravy, that just me and Andy eat, lol. I know it sounds awful, but my son is a good cook, so I don't know if it is just me or what. I do know I got all the leftover dressing to take home. She does not eat leftovers either, (unless it is pizza), or eat any soups ( homemade or canned) and or course neither do the kids, except chili. Not everyone's mind you...no onion, celery, peppers and she is iffy on most beans- So Andy never makes homemade soups though he likes them. I am wondering if this stuffing is so good, why I get all the leftover dressing as he likes leftover dressing, lol...Wouldn't you make two or keep half? Luckily, I do eat most anything...but I admit it goes in the garbage when I get home, and I truly eat most things. I am very nice, I eat it there and tell them it is good... and they believe me... I also eat my pecan pie piece and pumpkin either the night before or for breakfast, as I guess she doesn't like that either, and of course the kids don't eat it if she doesn't. She does not like nuts or apparently pumpkin custard... They did make a wonderful chocolate tart and we got slivers of that, but it was really good.....(And we cannot have two desserts, heaven forbid...) And it is her house, lol....
    .....I would rather be fat!!!! :/ ....Therapy done.... mea culpa! lol!
    I do enjoy it (esp. the real mashed (potatoes!), and am thankful they invite me! Just miss when the kids were little and my grandparents...
    It would appear that the kids are be deprived of one of the simple legal joys in life, eating tasty foods.

My brother used a bag of seasoned Stuffing, Turkey Broth in the stuffing, and of course a stick of Butter... There were also diced celery and onions added to it, In moderation naturally.

Our Mashed Potatoes also had a stick of Butter and some left over Cream from making the Pumpkin Pie.

You are not being petty, I would not have cared for that stuffing with that much basil in, IMO
    from Scratch a pinch of Basil, Poultry Seasoning etc, all in moderation.

Those poor kids being deprived of many tasty foods like that. Nuts are so tasty as is a Good Pumpkin Pie, With Whipped Cream, Natch. Nothing wrong with more than on dessert in moderation. The same for Hors D'oeuvres, They need variety.

Including Green beans or do they get a pass from her ?
    So what did you have as a vegetarian, Val? I would not mind eating my turkey another day, and think I would enjoy what you would prepare. I do like something that says Thanksgiving though, like a traditional pie choice, or something.
    I know what you had last year sounded yummy!! Trying to dig myself out of the bad mother in law hole.... :D

Roger, the pork roast sounded good enough to go back, that is for sure. Glad you walked for the Black Friday stuff!

Val, consider yourself lucky. My Lowes washer and dryer are the worst I have ever had. I so wish I would have gone to the Montgomery Sears and bought theirs. I love my stove, but I think I lost a burner today, and my stove looks awful because grease has built up in the window of the oven and cannot be cleaned. Total design flaw. It looks awful. And the stove, Lowes, is not that old. I love the design itself and it baked and cooked well, but the oven light is always burnt out.. Sears here has closed, though there might be a small satellite Sears in Prattville still. You may have been blessed, lol!!

Sorry for the epistle!! Mom in laws have to vent sometime....Take care all! Jan
    I'm sorry to hear that You had those problems with Lowes appliances, What brand were they ?
    FWIW I have heard that the Name brands power tools, Faucets, and Appliances sold by Home Depot and Lowes are cheaper versions of the same item in smaller stores. The lost burner makes me think You have an electric stove, Am I correct ?

We can't get our oven window clean either, OTOH it is old :)
    I do not know if You realize this, Appliance bulbs for use in a oven have to be designed for that. Our local appliance store told me to only use clear appliance bulbs and not the frosted ones, Could that be Your problem ?
    Here is a link that covers it
    https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/11025/do-i-really-need-a-special-bulb-in-the-oven
    Like this one
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/40-Watt-Incandescent-A15-Clear-Appliance-Light-Bulb-416768/202762704

Our old Sears Washer and Dryer, Kenmore brand lasted for many, many years so this could be a blessing in disguise for Val.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

BTW the Second and Forth article I linked are just wrong, Stop feeding the Homeless :(
    And gender neutral names for God, So wrong
  • RogerToo
    BTW Jan
    What A long post and I thought I got long winded sometimes :)
  • hope4change_val
    Today I woke with what feels like a cold...possibly cedar fever (tree pollen allergy). Normally for Thanksgiving we have Morningstar Farms non-chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, corn, rolls, and pumpkin pie. This year we had a real turkey breast...since my surgery, I’ve not stopped having poultry. Years ago we had a tof-urkey (tofu turkey) and it was disgusting! (And i rather like tofu). Initially I assumed that Lowes would substitute but they were royally awful. The actual appliance guy (at the end of four transfers) I spoke with just seamed confused and clueless...possibly new to selling appliances. Sears, I went with Kenmore. Aside from size and white (to match other appliances), i wanted energy saver, stainless tub, and manual cleaning screen. We’ve been hand-washing dishes about a year, but now with five people, I just thought it’s time. Jan—i had an aunt who sounds very much like your daughter in law. She flaunted and controlled what her daughter ate...and sneared at my fat mom forcing her eating choices on my sister and me. I gained back the 7 pounds i had lost after surgery. Completely from eating too many desserts.
  • RogerToo
    I did post more humor, once again the last image is long, I did like the cat one within it OTOH, Enjoy

Hi
    I was out walking again this Morning + 1 Cent, Two days in a row, Whee :) The temperature this morning was 33 on the porch and 38 on the cable channel. It was a bit bitter out there when I had to take off the heated gloves for a minute, I could feel it in my fingers :(

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dogs-face-obesity-epidemic-because-11585696
    Dogs face obesity epidemic 'because humans are killing them with kindness'
    ByRachel Spencer, 18:13, 25 NOV 2017 Updated13:51, 26 NOV 2017

https://nypost.com/2017/10/28/halloween-used-to-be-for-kids-now-its-for-sad-millennials/
    Sad millennials have ruined Halloween
    By Kyle Smith, October 28, 2017 | 11:34am
    Updated October 30, 2017 | 10:51am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/11/24/flies-carry-bacteria-first-thought-warn-scientists/
    Don’t eat food if a fly lands on it, as they carry more dangerous bacteria than previously thought, warn scientists
    By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor, 24 November 2017 • 5:50pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/11/25/cinnamon-may-help-attack-fat-fight-obesity-study-finds/894486001/
    Cinnamon may help attack fat, fight obesity, study finds
    Sean Rossman, USA TODAY Published 11:10 a.m. ET Nov. 25, 2017
    Updated 3:28 p.m. ET Nov. 25, 2017

http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/ufo-hunters-rage-over-mysterious-11581615
    UFO Hunters rage over mysterious white object spotted in NASA launch footage
    They believe it's an extra-terrestrial craft that has been secretly orbiting Earth for thousands of years

By Jeff ParsonsTech/Science reporter, 18:53, 24 NOV 2017
    Updated23:55, 25 NOV 2017

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5117215/Morning-Joe-slammed-pre-taping-post-Thanksgiving-show.html
    Thanksgiving turkeys! Morning Joe hosts Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough are caught out as it emerges their Friday show where they joked about her 'frozen' dinner and 'last night's football' was recorded TWO DAYS earlier
    By Jennifer Smith For Dailymail.com, Published: 15:11 EST, 25 November 2017
    Updated: 20:59 EST, 25 November 2017

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Today I woke with what feels like a cold...possibly cedar fever (tree pollen allergy). Normally for Thanksgiving we have Morningstar Farms non-chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, corn, rolls, and pumpkin pie. This year we had a real turkey breast...since my surgery, I’ve not stopped having poultry. Years ago we had a tof-urkey (tofu turkey) and it was disgusting! (And i rather like tofu). Initially I assumed that Lowes would substitute but they were royally awful. The actual appliance guy (at the end of four transfers) I spoke with just seamed confused and clueless...possibly new to selling appliances. Sears, I went with Kenmore. Aside from size and white (to match other appliances), i wanted energy saver, stainless tub, and manual cleaning screen. We’ve been hand-washing dishes about a year, but now with five people, I just thought it’s time. Jan—i had an aunt who sounds very much like your daughter in law. She flaunted and controlled what her daughter ate...and sneared at my fat mom forcing her eating choices on my sister and me. I gained back the 7 pounds i had lost after surgery. Completely from eating too many desserts.

Hi Val
    Thanks for the feedback on the humor.

I hope You feel better quickly.

I have heard of Tofurkey and wondered if it really could taste like turkey, The Thai Place puts Tofu pieces in some of their dishes and that is the sum total of my experience with it. It does take up the Thai flavors nicely. Someone else mentioned liking the Chicken Fried Tofu that Whole Foods puts out some days in the hot food section.

It sounds as if they have lost a customer at Lowes. Just to dot the i's and cross the T's I would send them a email to their corporate headquarters telling them of Your experience and why You are no longer a customer, That sounds like something they should be told or they will not realize they have a problem.

I think most everybody has dealt with someone like that in their life at one time or another, I feel sorry for those kids.

Desserts :( One of my weaknesses being any kind of sweet.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

Hi Jan
  • hope4change_val
    Happy to say that I’m feeling much better today than yesterday! Still really tired (since my surgery...and that’s more than a month)! Well...Lowes is down the street, so I’m not never going there...but for appliances, that’s done (as long as Sears stays in business). I had a salad for dinner!
  • Buttons61
    Hi!

Glad you are feeling better, Val!! I think your Thanksgiving sounded pretty good!!

Interesting articles, Roger, I am still catching up! Love the doggies saving the hiker! The booms are interesting. too.
    I do remember a day that I had felt a weird vibration, and knew it was not an earthquake. I never heard a sound, though I kinda chalked it up to a truck or something outside. Actually, the timing was about the time of these reports...

I like some tofu. I love it in the Amy's brand of Frozen dinners. It is also good in recipes if you squeeze out more water. My daughter bakes it after cutting it in cubes with some Pam butter spray. I think at 325 for at least 20-25 minutes. Turning it once. It gets a little crispy and tastes better in most recipes, like chicken, lol...

Yeah, it is a fine line controlling what kids eat. Sometimes it is a good thing, like the you may not need to finish your plate.. I was not forced to do that. I guess we just were a little used to big portions- the Italian side. I do not remember overeating as a child. I do remember I often wished there were some seconds as a child. We could not afford it. Sometimes when I was older, after my Dad had left (divorced), my mom and I would often go for a walk and pick up chips or cold bread pizza and eat that on the way home. She and then me were guilty of rewarding with food also for the kids. Back then nobody knew how badly that could lead to more constant overeating. :/ But most kids I see don't eat, then fill up on junk... I would be surprised if my grand kids actually ate healthy every day, as there is so little they eat.. but they are thin. I think it may backfire when they get on there own. I hope not. I can not see them on their own as Mom has such a narrow path they follow. Their husbands better like mother in laws more than she likes me, lol... :#

Have to go for eye exam in the AM Tuesday.. Wish me luck!! ..Jan
  • hope4change_val
    Happy Tuesday. It’s finally getting cooler here...lows in 40s/50s and highs in mid or upper 70s. I know that’s not cool...but it’s better than the 90s!
  • RogerToo
    And I did post more humor once again, Enjoy

Hi
    I was out walking again this Morning. The temperature this morning was 28 on the porch and 33 on the cable channel. It was a bit bitter out there when I had to take off the heated gloves for a minute, I could feel it in my fingers :(
    I overestimated how much life was in the gloves batteries and one of them ran out before I returned home. I do carry a backup heating device that I can slip into the Heated Mittens just in case.

http://beta.latimes.com/nation/la-na-seattle-space-needle-2017-story.html Seattle's Space Needle, showing signs of age at 55, is getting a 'space lift' -- at a cost of up to $100 million
    By Rick Anderson, Nov 26, 2017 | 4:00 AM | SEATTLE

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/amazon/this-city-hall-brought-to-you-by-amazon/
    This City Hall, brought to you by Amazon
    By Danny Westneat, Originally published November 24, 2017 at 7:50 pm Updated November 24, 2017 at 8:35 pm

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/not-so-virgin-greek-police-arrest-7-for-selling-bogus-olive-oil-1.3694629
    Not-so-virgin: Greek police arrest 7 for selling bogus olive oil
    Costas Kantouris, The Associated Press
    Published Sunday, November 26, 2017 1:30PM EST
    Last Updated Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:05PM EST

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/662704/iran-europe-missile-threat-iranian-revolutionary-guard-ww3-world-war-3
    Iran in Europe MISSILE threat warning of WW3 rocket attack
    By Rachel O'Donoghue / Published 26th November 2017

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5117149/Ten-reasons-cool-according-experts.html
    Angry people die sooner: Just one of ten reasons why you should try to keep your cool, according to scientists
    By Eve Simmons For The Mail On Sunday,
    Published: 17:00 EST, 25 November 2017
    Updated: 20:02 EST, 25 November 2017

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/virginia-pastor-charged-thanksgiving-day-killing-family-205349684.html
    Virginia pastor charged in Thanksgiving Day killing of his family
    Reuters November 25, 2017

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Happy to say that I’m feeling much better today than yesterday! Still really tired (since my surgery...and that’s more than a month)! Well...Lowes is down the street, so I’m not never going there...but for appliances, that’s done (as long as Sears stays in business). I had a salad for dinner!

Hi Val
    I tend to be easily put off repeating something like too unless there is no alternative :0
    Yea for Salads as long as the dressing is in moderation.

I'm glad to hear You are feeling better, One of the humor images I posted this morning may apply ?
    Happy Tuesday. It’s finally getting cooler here...lows in 40s/50s and highs in mid or upper 70s. I know that’s not cool...but it’s better than the 90s!

I agree, I would love to have those lows for the overnight hours. Today and yesterday for comparison the Grass and cars were frosted rather than just wet as happens most days in the warmer weather. I noticed that the guardrails I walked past were showing frost on the surface too.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Hi!

Glad you are feeling better, Val!! I think your Thanksgiving sounded pretty good!!

Interesting articles, Roger, I am still catching up! Love the doggies saving the hiker! The booms are interesting. too.
    I do remember a day that I had felt a weird vibration, and knew it was not an earthquake. I never heard a sound, though I kinda chalked it up to a truck or something outside. Actually, the timing was about the time of these reports...

I like some tofu. I love it in the Amy's brand of Frozen dinners. It is also good in recipes if you squeeze out more water. My daughter bakes it after cutting it in cubes with some Pam butter spray. I think at 325 for at least 20-25 minutes. Turning it once. It gets a little crispy and tastes better in most recipes, like chicken, lol...
    Hi Jan
    If You search Whole Foods Chicken Fried Tofu You will see recipes and from what I read in other messages their Chicken Fried Tofu is tasty :)

I was wondering if You heard or felt the booms, I seem to recall seeing it as a ALA boom.
    Yeah, it is a fine line controlling what kids eat. Sometimes it is a good thing, like the you may not need to finish your plate.. I was not forced to do that. I guess we just were a little used to big portions- the Italian side. I do not remember overeating as a child. I do remember I often wished there were some seconds as a child. We could not afford it. Sometimes when I was older, after my Dad had left (divorced), my mom and I would often go for a walk and pick up chips or cold bread pizza and eat that on the way home. She and then me were guilty of rewarding with food also for the kids. Back then nobody knew how badly that could lead to more constant overeating. :/ But most kids I see don't eat, then fill up on junk... I would be surprised if my grand kids actually ate healthy every day, as there is so little they eat.. but they are thin. I think it may backfire when they get on there own. I hope not. I can not see them on their own as Mom has such a narrow path they follow. Their husbands better like mother in laws more than she likes me, lol... :#

Have to go for eye exam in the AM Tuesday.. Wish me luck!! ..Jan

The kids may go wild with food when they can, that can be a side effect of to much control. When i read that post I was thinking they would do better with more vegetables and Meat and less bread. Modern bread is not that nutritious IMO.

Cold Bread Pizza ? Is that different than regular cold pizza or the really thick Sicilian Pizza where the crust is more of a 3/4" thick bread look.

You are not alone with parents not affording lots of foods or tasty foods, I have no doubt that contributed to my overeating and weight in later life.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    Roger- I was most interested in the bogus olive oil article! I’m 1/2 Greek and we do take olive oil seriously. I lived in Seattle for 5 years and there are daily activities all around the Space Needle. Restaurants up top are fabulous. So, I think that is a wise investment for the city. I’m very disappointed to say that I’m feeling awful again today. I’m really sick of feeling so poorly. I have so much work to do but I’m just wiped out. My kid just got her school pics.
    ita8v7udlhil.jpeg
  • RogerToo
    And more humor today

Hi
    I was out walking again this Morning. The temperature this morning was 33 on the porch and 45 on the cable channel. It was a bit bitter out there when I had to take off the heated gloves for a minute, I could feel it in my fingers :(
    There was some frost and Fog while I was walking.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/on-air/as-seen-on/4-Dogs-Save-Woman-Held-at-Gunpoint_New-York-460281133.html
    4 Dogs Save Woman Held at Gunpoint
    Security video shows robbers who had been holding a Texas woman at gunpoint at her own door run away when the victim's four barking dogs rush to her rescue.

Sad
    http://www.wdrb.com/story/36927841/i-did-it-to-kill-people-10-year-old-louisville-girl-crashes-truck-into-home
    'I did it to kill people': 11-year old Louisville girl crashes truck into home
    Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:14 PM EST
    Updated: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:23 AM EST

http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/assistant-police-chief-home-car-riddled-with-bullets-during-crime-spree/oAGPwVUwGx98pTZcGtgb5L/
    Assistant police chief’s ‘house was shot up’ during crime spree
    Lauren Foreman The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Updated 6:46 p.m Monday, Nov. 27, 2017

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/diet-fitness/662888/Protein-powder-shake-death-overdose-safe
    Protein powder linked to man's death – but is the fitness product safe?
    THE death of a young man has been linked to his protein powder habit
    By Sarah Buchanan / Published 28th November 2017

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/27/columbia-sportswear-may-close-downtown-portland-office-over-threats-public-defecation-by-homeless-people.html
    Columbia Sportswear may close Portland office over death threats, public defecation by homeless people
    By Travis Fedschun | Fox News

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5004230/amazon-warehouse-working-conditions/
    WAREHOUSE OF HORRORS Amazon warehouse life ‘revealed with timed toilet breaks and workers sleeping on their feet’
    27th November 2017, 5:38 pm
    Updated: 28th November 2017, 2:21 am

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Roger- I was most interested in the bogus olive oil article! I’m 1/2 Greek and we do take olive oil seriously. I lived in Seattle for 5 years and there are daily activities all around the Space Needle. Restaurants up top are fabulous. So, I think that is a wise investment for the city. I’m very disappointed to say that I’m feeling awful again today. I’m really sick of feeling so poorly. I have so much work to do but I’m just wiped out. My kid just got her school pics.
    ita8v7udlhil.jpeg
    Hi Val
    I thought that the Olive Oil article was interesting too, Fakes abound in every product.

I did not realize that they had daily activities around the Space Needle.

I hope You feel better quickly.

Nice Picture, You must be proud.
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    I love the four dogs chasing away the robber! The Space Needle was built for a worlds fair. The entire fair grounds are permanent buildings with social activities...there’s the children’s museum and many restaurants...I don’t remember everything else they had. I mostly took my kid to the museum and to have lunch at the Thai restaurant. Very well populated, well kept/clean. Definitely a gathering place. There are many bars and dance clubs too.
  • Buttons61
    edited November 2017
    Good morning!

Val, that is a wonderful picture of Em! Seattle must have been a fun place to live!

Roger, it is cold in your neck of the woods. I freeze here in the 40's! lol! Everyone I know is sick here with colds or coughs. It can be 70+ in the day, but 40 at night, or less with a cold front. Such a degree difference in too short a time!

Stories are just weird, some of them. I can't believe they are not charging that 11 yr old girl. She needs to be and she needs a psych exam. She is a headline again in the next few years, and not in a good way.. The dog story felt staged to me...I must be the world's worst cynic. I am glad the dogs got the glory, but my gut felt it was not real...I would love to know if these guys got caught and sentenced. It would be more credible to me... I'm awful... :|

Eye exam went well. Cataracts haven't grown too much...and my prescription is about the same. No evidence of any damage from pre-diabetic condition. I had a heck of a time driving home with my eyes dilated though. :D I looked like a blind person driving and pumping gas for the car. I finally had to take off the protective film glasses they give you, and use my prescription sun glasses. They are dark and more wrap around. That experience was sure a downhill slide from last year, I guess due to the cataracts, small as they are... B)

The pizza was kind of before microwave or frozen pizza became so prevalent. The store sold it from a refrigerated box, in a square with sausage and cheese. The crust was kind of thicker than traditional dough, kind of bread like, but not like french bread. It was probably about 3-4 pieces compared to today's. We would just tear a hunk off and it was pretty good cold as the sausage was more mild than when heated.. just a weird random memory. I think we did not do pizza in winter, too cold! We would buy hot chocolate to sip on the walk home. Just a cheap night out and pleasant walk... We used to take rides and look at people's houses, too when it grew dark. They were so pretty. Just things you do not see people do anymore, like watering the lawn by hand, just sitting on the porch talking or enjoying the quiet...

May May is limping rather badly, from her shoulder I think. Extra trip to the vet...Hopefully nothing serious....

Take care all! Hope you feel better, Val! ....Jan