100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Hi!

Waiting to hear on the jackfruit also! I love your post Val, about how healthy your body feels! It is amazing how good we can feel when we eat well. I can practically hear it singing all the way to Alabama!

Yes, if it was in the 60's here, I would think winter was on it's way. The sun is moving for it's fall orbit, it looks like fall is coming if you are inside! Once out it is still low 90's and 80-90 humidity. It makes me think of Richard Simmons and sweating off the pounds. I was really tired from church Sunday, so did not walk too much Monday as the feet were really aching. It is much better today. I had wanted to have my fitbit for recording sleep as well as steps. My sleep has gone up to 8 hrs. from 5 hrs, and sometimes not that. That is an improvement, thanks to the melatonin I have been taking.

I have been fighting the carb craving here, but am really enjoying my fruit. I have been eating my banana a day to help heal my feet, and cut down on leg cramping. I also love the fruit cups with no sugar added and natural juice. I love the pink grapefruit, and mandarin orange especially, probably because it is still so hot!They make a nice change at 60 calories, and are well within my carb intake range.

Take care all! Perseverance! Jan B)

Hi Jan
    I like my fruits too. I also have a Banana a day and the eliminated the leg cramping in the night. I also take a Calcium/Zinc/Magnesium tablet which I tried first and it helped. No more cramping once I added the Banana, Knock Wood :)

I find that eating sweets gives me a craving for more, really quickly too.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    I'm looking forward to my jackfruit too. I watched a few YouTube presentations on how to know when they're ripe, and how to cut and eat them. I think that either tomorrow or the next day it will be ripe. If you open it too early, you get tons of latex (which is not good for eating). My 13yo is curious but cautious. She'll try it, but won't commit to opening our own Jackfruit orchard!

Hi Val
    I gather that You have researched how to eat them :) From what I can see a 1 cup serving is a decent calorie and carb count.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Roger- that's a great price for a 40"!!! My bedroom TV is a 32" and it is more than 6 years old (bought when we lived in Indiana), and it has a quirk which i think is fortelling it's demise...when it is off for more than a day, no picture for a few hours after I start it up again. But, so far, the picture does come back!
  • hope4change_val
    My jackfruit is close to ripe...it is much more fragrant and has a little give when squeezed but I'll give it one more day. Today, i made homemade broccoli cheese soup...and it's yummy! Sautéed diced fresh onion, carrots, celery, and garlic plus spices. When soft added chicken broth and fresh broccoli. Made a rue (1/4 stick butter + flour), plus cup of milk. Then added cheese yo the hot thickened milk. Used my new hand blender to mostly blend the veggie soup pot...then added the cheese sauce to the veggie soup pot. Very tasty!
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Today I am currently at 8.4K Steps, I finished up yesterday at 9.3K steps.

I have selected Fred Allen to listen to while walking.It turned out to be the December 22,1937 Christmas show :) all 59 minutes of it add in the 12 minutes I talked to my brother on the way out to get my Coffee and Two songs on the way back and that concluded my walking. I Suspect I was walking a little faster than usual to get back home under the Fan & AC. I stopped in the back Yard, picked and ate some Raspberries that had ripened on the late variety plants too.

Today's weather it was 80 degrees out the door and high humidity, Well 79.9 Degrees is close enough to 80 for me, It is supposed to go up around 90+ later on today. I am happy I mowed the lawn Tuesday as The humidity and Temperature have beem high enough that it was uncomfortable out the Door For Wednesday & Today. Today's reported Humidity is somewhat higher than Yesterday and the

The Avera 40AER10 40-Inch 1080p LED TV shows, Bound Brook, NJ, United States 08/11/2016, 3:34 A.M., Out For Delivery. And the Cable I ordered with it shows arrived at the local post office last night. So I should be busy later today Pulling the 24" TV and putting the wall mount back on it and installing it back in the bedroom and hooking up the New larger TV :)

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Roger- that's a great price for a 40"!!! My bedroom TV is a 32" and it is more than 6 years old (bought when we lived in Indiana), and it has a quirk which i think is fortelling it's demise...when it is off for more than a day, no picture for a few hours after I start it up again. But, so far, the picture does come back!

Hi Joanne
    I saw the same model yesterday on NewEgg for $200 with free shipping. That's what I get for buying to quickly, I paid a liitle bit more, $219. I also brought up out of the basement some Old unused Computer with Bass & Treble controls to use with the 24" TV, I think I may leave them to use with the New TV as I suspect that just as with the basement TV the sound will be tinny. Hard to know how they could get really good sounding speakers in a TV set these days as they are so thin and have a small bezel around the screen.
    The user reviews on NewEgg mentioned that the sound could be better.

The Living room started indicating that it was near the end of life a little while ago where sometimes when You turned it on the picture would be dim. The Tuesday I was watching something when the picture went away, Pulling the power and holding down the power button as it was not turning on or off when I plugged it back in brought it back to life to finish watching the show until I turned it off then after that sound only no matter what I tried. I was wondering what to do when I realized I could bring out the bedroom TV temporarily.
    My jackfruit is close to ripe...it is much more fragrant and has a little give when squeezed but I'll give it one more day. Today, i made homemade broccoli cheese soup...and it's yummy! Sautéed diced fresh onion, carrots, celery, and garlic plus spices. When soft added chicken broth and fresh broccoli. Made a rue (1/4 stick butter + flour), plus cup of milk. Then added cheese yo the hot thickened milk. Used my new hand blender to mostly blend the veggie soup pot...then added the cheese sauce to the veggie soup pot. Very tasty!

Hmmm... That Sounds like it is indeed getting close to ripe. The Soup sounds delicious if high calorie :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Hi All!

Hope everyone is continued being fine and eating well! Your soup Val sounds really yummy with all those fresh veggies. I need to get one of those blenders myself. I am getting a taste for pumpkin soup a little early, I keep wanting fall to be here! I may need to check out the squash! I think I need to research that jackfruit. You gave me a chuckle describing Em's caution! Smart girl!

I need to increase my walking but my feet are still tender. I do not usually factor in my exercise because it seems to give me a false sense of what I can eat as time passes. Probably because I need to exercise more! And I really need to reduce my carb intake. Once I start, I get cravings that are hard to stop, like your's Roger, with the sweets. Mine is bread, though and sometimes white potatoes, though I eat more sweet potato now. The veggie straws by SensiblePortions have cut my craving for chips, so that is a good thing!

That was smart to order your TV so quickly at a good price! You were certainly correct on thinking it would go! It is weird though nowadays that it does not pay to fix many things and you can get new more easily and cheaply than repairs. How times change!

Have a safe and joyful day. We are dark and rainy the last few days. Nice!! Jan :)
  • RogerToo
    My Review of the Tiramisu Snack
    From NS This classic dessert has everything you love—creamy mascarpone cheese, delicious coffee and rich chocolate flavors—and it's a good source of protein and fiber, so you can feel good about indulging!
    Link here to the review with images of the snack and Nutrition.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442312/tiramisu-snack-item-120-calories-1-9-ounce#latest

I just had one, It was tasty and a decent portion. It comes in a round tray about 3 inches across and the entree is about 1/2 inch deep inside of that tray, I just defrosted and ate. As I say it was Tasty, however it has been a long time since I had Tiramisu and despite that I do not think it tastes like Tiramisu, OTOH I liked it and am happy I Bought Five.

Tomorrow I will be reporting on the Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Snack 140 calories 2.1 Ounce
    and the
    Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast 130 Calories 3.5 Ounces

I ordered a A La Carte frozen order to fill in some shorts in my on hand food as I have delayed the next order so I added these three Frozen items. I could have held off but I did want to try them too :)

So Tonight the Brownie and tomorrow for breakfast the Baked Blueberry Oatmeal.

Enjoy
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi All!

Hope everyone is continued being fine and eating well! Your soup Val sounds really yummy with all those fresh veggies. I need to get one of those blenders myself. I am getting a taste for pumpkin soup a little early, I keep wanting fall to be here! I may need to check out the squash! I think I need to research that jackfruit. You gave me a chuckle describing Em's caution! Smart girl!

I need to increase my walking but my feet are still tender. I do not usually factor in my exercise because it seems to give me a false sense of what I can eat as time passes. Probably because I need to exercise more! And I really need to reduce my carb intake. Once I start, I get cravings that are hard to stop, like your's Roger, with the sweets. Mine is bread, though and sometimes white potatoes, though I eat more sweet potato now. The veggie straws by SensiblePortions have cut my craving for chips, so that is a good thing!

That was smart to order your TV so quickly at a good price! You were certainly correct on thinking it would go! It is weird though nowadays that it does not pay to fix many things and you can get new more easily and cheaply than repairs. How times change!

Have a safe and joyful day. We are dark and rainy the last few days. Nice!! Jan :)

Hi Jan
    I did not even think about getting it fixed, it was old enough that it owed us nothing :)

I have been using the 60 calorie per wrap Honey Wheat Wrap and that works for me for things like Homemade Chicken Salad or Egg Salad. Sometimes I steal two slices or my Brothers Multigrain bread at 40 calories per slice for a change :)

I find that avoiding Sugars helps and Yes White Bread is a problem for me too.

Dark and rainy, I hope cool too.
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    The jackfruit is yummy! To me, it tastes like cantaloupe! It is rather challenging to clean...if you're going to attempt it, watch and heed the YouTube video instructions and warnings! naaeegxxlchg.jpeg
    0d9rvzcvtsqk.jpeg
    gazawtcbo1oh.jpeg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Interesting images. I am glad to hear it was tasty. I may try it if I ever see it in the market :)

Thank You for the review and pictures
    Roger
  • RogerToo

08/11/2016 100%

Hi
    Today I am currently at 8K+ Steps, I finished up yesterday at 11K+ steps.
    Today's weather it was 77 degrees out the door and high humidity, It is supposed to go up around 96 degrees later on today.

I have selected a radio show called Escape from 1947 to listen to while walking. I think I will listen to more of them.

Some Mini Reviews with links to the review page with images and Nutrition information below.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Snack
    I liked this one too, It was a decent size and density, slightly crumbly and I should have had it on a plate to avoid making a mess :) I will be reordering it.
    Product Details from NS
    Get your chocolate and peanut butter fix in this delicious snack! These brownies are chocolately, chewy and guilt free: high in fiber and a good source of protein, with no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442309/chocolate-peanut-butter-brownie-snack-140-calories-2-1-ounce#latest

Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast
    I just had this for breakfast and it is round, 3" across with tapering sides and 1" high. It is more or less a already prepared slight Cinnamon Oatmeal with plenty of Blueberries that is ready to eat once heated. I liked it, and a easy to get ready meal too. Just open and remove the package to heat and eat. I will most likely reorder it in the future, OTOH I should be able to use the Lower Sugar version Quaker Instant oats and add Blueberries. Doing that OTOH would be more work and more calories, the added calories coming form the Blueberries :)
    From the NS description
    Product Details
    With just 11 simple, whole food ingredients and no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners, the real stars of this breakfast shine through: whole grain rolled oats, wild blueberries and a touch of honey. Baked to golden perfection!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10442307/baked-blueberry-oatmeal-breakfast-130-calories-3-5-ounces#latest

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    edited August 2016
    Hi!

Your reviews were very helpful Roger! NS should put you on commission!They all seem worthy of being indulged in!

Val, the pictures were very interesting of the Jackfruit! Did Em eat some? The picture where they are still in a little pod shape are strange, but the next picture looks like cantaloupe, though not the shape. I wonder if all the seeds would be good dried and baked like pumpkin seeds? I have seen them at Publics but just never bought one!

I did a little better walking today, but the feet sure hurt. I will have to see if it corresponds to eating cheese. I hope not! The areas that hurt are prone to pain after injury, so It may just be a combo of things. One never knows in spite of medical care sometimes, lol!

Rained again. It is cooler, only 84, but very muggy. I nice indoor day. I think the sun and temps are due back this week-end though!

Have a good week-end! Jan :)

PS- Looks like jackfruit is string but no seeds on further look, lol! That first cut hardly matches the finished product. I am fascinated....
  • RogerToo
    Hi!

Your reviews were very helpful Roger! NS should put you on commission!They all seem worthy of being indulged in!

Val, the pictures were very interesting of the Jackfruit! Did Em eat some? The picture where they are still in a little pod shape are strange, but the next picture looks like cantaloupe, though not the shape. I wonder if all the seeds would be good dried and baked like pumpkin seeds? I have seen them at Publics but just never bought one!

I did a little better walking today, but the feet sure hurt. I will have to see if it corresponds to eating cheese. I hope not! The areas that hurt are prone to pain after injury, so It may just be a combo of things. One never knows in spite of medical care sometimes, lol!

Rained again. It is cooler, only 84, but very muggy. I nice indoor day. I think the sun and temps are due back this week-end though!

Have a good week-end! Jan :)

PS- Looks like jackfruit is string but no seeds on further look, lol! That first cut hardly matches the finished product. I am fascinated....

Hi Jan
    I did take a chance on the A La Carte order and order 5 of each :) OTOH I did need to reach $50 for free shipping.....

As I say the Baked Oatmeal Breakfast is handy however with a slight bit of work I can make something similar a little cheaper. Depends on the cost of the Blueberries. Now that I have had it I could pull some of the frozen Blueberries and defrost them overnight in the refrigerator. Using the Low Sugar Quaker The difference in calories would pretty much be the extra calories from the Blueberries.

I am happy that someone is getting some use out of the reviews. It makes the time spent doing them well worth it. So Thank You for letting me know.

I guess it could be food related too, Possibly additives in some cases.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • hope4change_val
    We only eat the orange parts of the jackfruit. Roommate, Mary, says tastes like a cross between mango and cantaloupe. Em likes it, but it's a bit slippery for her preference. She wants to try it dried...so will bake on low tomorrow. All her life I've always encouraged her to try all fruits and veggies. "You can get anything you want from this department!" (Produce department!) She'd go up and down the aisles making her big selection. Today was orientation to 8th grade (school is K-8). She got advanced placement in math...and is in 9th grade math! It feels so go to see her so happy and confident in her school surroundings. It wasn't always that way. Good night!
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Today I am at 7K Steps, I will be higher as I need to load the car for a trip to the recycle yard.

I have been listening to the Old Time Radio show called Escape.
    Today's weather it was 80 degrees out the door and high humidity, Well 79.7 Degrees is close enough to 80 for me, It is supposed to go up to 95+ later on today.

Have a Great Saturday
    Roger
    We only eat the orange parts of the jackfruit. Roommate, Mary, says tastes like a cross between mango and cantaloupe. Em likes it, but it's a bit slippery for her preference. She wants to try it dried...so will bake on low tomorrow. All her life I've always encouraged her to try all fruits and veggies. "You can get anything you want from this department!" (Produce department!) She'd go up and down the aisles making her big selection. Today was orientation to 8th grade (school is K-8). She got advanced placement in math...and is in 9th grade math! It feels so go to see her so happy and confident in her school surroundings. It wasn't always that way. Good night!

Hi Val
    Congratulations to You Daughter :)

I wish I had been encouraged to try things when I was Young.

Have a Good Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    I'm now home from the Recycle center, bank, Produce store, Dollar Store, & Post Office and up to 8500 steps. I did not go as far as usual this morning on my walk due to the heat & humidity and the plan to go do the running too
  • Buttons61

Roger, you seem to have done a lot! I would have thought you were experiencing things younger also! I remember being encouraged, but I was so shy, it was hard to join in and do many things! I still am rather socially awkward, especially for here in the south, where gabbing takes on a whole art form. It would make for a really interesting study! Val, I commend you for introducing Em to so much, and really beneficial things. I totally agree with Roger. It is not always the case down here. Sometimes it is the poor kids having trouble who have the most sense in their whole families.

Well, back to sun, the rainy days are over and watering restarts! Should be better for exercise! NS makes really good pasta dishes to me, as does Lean Cuisine. i am sure glad as that is one of my weaknesses and it makes portion control so much easier.

I have to get some more watermelon and maybe some honeydew. I think I am burnt out on grapes, finally, so if the price is still good, I will pick up strawberries and cool whip topping. I feel a berry craving coming on, and I can not just pick a few in the backyard as industrious Roger! :#

Have a good Sunday! Week ends go fast! Jan B)
  • hope4change_val
    Today's dinner is veggie-leek soup (with four little potatoes)....i snuck a bowl and it is quite yummy!zzcfxawhsdfn.jpeg
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Today I have hit 8.1K Steps, That includes the stop at the Grocery Store for 2 Dozen low Priced Jumbo Eggs and a 4 ounce package of Baked Ham to use as 2 SC protein.

I am still listening to the Old Time Radio show called Escape.
    Today's weather it was 82 degrees out the door and high humidity, That is 2 Degrees higher than yesterday at the same time, It is supposed to go up to 95+ later on today.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited August 2016
    Roger, you seem to have done a lot! I would have thought you were experiencing things younger also! I remember being encouraged, but I was so shy, it was hard to join in and do many things! I still am rather socially awkward, especially for here in the south, where gabbing takes on a whole art form. It would make for a really interesting study! Val, I commend you for introducing Em to so much, and really beneficial things. I totally agree with Roger. It is not always the case down here. Sometimes it is the poor kids having trouble who have the most sense in their whole families.

Well, back to sun, the rainy days are over and watering restarts! Should be better for exercise! NS makes really good pasta dishes to me, as does Lean Cuisine. i am sure glad as that is one of my weaknesses and it makes portion control so much easier.

I have to get some more watermelon and maybe some honeydew. I think I am burnt out on grapes, finally, so if the price is still good, I will pick up strawberries and cool whip topping. I feel a berry craving coming on, and I can not just pick a few in the backyard as industrious Roger! :#

Have a good Sunday! Week ends go fast! Jan B)
    Hi Jan
    My brothers were always somewhat more sociable than I, I had friends, just fewer than they did.

I turned on the Drip hoses in the Vegetable garden before I went walking :) That means they have been dripping away for 2 1/2 hours. I really need to go shut them off. I also watered teh four hanging baskets on my return from the walk.

I have found that many of the Lean Cuisine meals are tasty too as well as being usable as NS entree substitutes. Some are low enough calorie to use as Lunch or dinner entrees too.

I looked at the Strawberries at the produce store yesterday, the price was good however they had a range from under ripe to overripe and starting to spoil in every container :( so I passed on them.
    Why bother with Cool Whip? Redi Whip is tasty and their Extra Creamy is a whopping :) 15 calories per 2 Tbsp serving. As I understand and remember it up to 35 calories can be a Limited Extra under the NS guidelines. Ok, I just double checked and from the NS Grocery Guide:
    "Extras" are low-calorie options that you can use to spice up your meal plan or satisfy a craving. These extras are limited to 3 servings a day. Calories range from 10 to 35 per serving.
    compared to Extras:
    “Free foods” are condiments, beverages and spices that have less than 10 calories per serving. These foods are unlimited.

Have a Good Sunday
    Roger
    Today's dinner is veggie-leek soup (with four little potatoes)....i snuck a bowl and it is quite yummy!zzcfxawhsdfn.jpeg

Hi Val
    That looks delicious, I wish I felt that industrious :)

Enjoy the Day
    Roger