100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)

Options

Replies

• hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    My spilt pea soup is scrumptious... and perfect for this cool rainy day. My kid was in the top four at yesterday's regional math competition. A week from tomorrow she'll be in the Texas state competition in Austin.
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Hi Jan - I'm glad you enjoy my ways of looking at things. Please take good care of Mabel. Val
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi
    Out the door today it was showing 42 degrees a slight warmup from yesterday. I walked 7.5K steps so far. I will be going back out in a while walking up to the bank when they open.
    While walking today one of the Old Time Radio Shows I have been Listening to is the December 25, 1943 episode of command performance from here, it is the #2 show on that list with Bob Hope, Kay Kyser, Andrews Sisters, Jimmy Durante, Fibber McGee & Molly, Duffys Tavern and more :)
    https://archive.org/details/CommandPerformanceChristmas#

I need to adjust the audio level on some more of the Christmas 1943 radio shows since I only have one more left to listen too after I finish with the Command Performance I am currently listening to. I use a free program called Audacity to adjust the level so that they all play at the same volume. Otherwise I end up having to stop, pull out the iPod and adjust the level up for low volume shows or down for loud shows.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    My spilt pea soup is scrumptious... and perfect for this cool rainy day. My kid was in the top four at yesterday's regional math competition. A week from tomorrow she'll be in the Texas state competition in Austin.
    Hi Jan - I'm glad you enjoy my ways of looking at things. Please take good care of Mabel. Val

Hi Val
    Congratulations on Your kids achievement.

Enjoy the Pea Soup, We still have left overs of the one my brother made
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi!

You all have me scrounging for split pea soup! I think it is large lima beans I have in the pantry. Luckily I have to shop today!

That is wonderful that your daughter is competing, Val, and doing that well! That dispels the old myth girls don't do well in math if given the chance!

Roger, your article on the worst retirement states was interesting. No surprises really, except yours (New Jersey). I would not have thought that. Actually... you had said you did not have the fitbit software problems, but it was a few days ago! LOL! I do not mind it disappearing as much if it just comes back, which it did in a few days. It is just weird. My computer is acting strange here lately. It is buffering more when I click onto links if I am in something else. I have cleaned it often, and have webroot security that scans often. I do use it alot, and it is getting older. Last night I could not get it to turn off. It just did not respond. I finally just put it to sleep. (ha ha!) I do not know if it was me or the computer having problems. I had to try 2 times toget it on, and really hit the on button much longer than usual, and things came up. It seems better today! Techy problems for my non- tech mind!

Keep up the good work all!
    Jan........winter cloudy (nice), with rain on the way! :)
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    My sinus infection appears mostly over, but still struggling to get energy back. Today I took my kid to school (Saturday practice fir next week's competition), got an oil change, returned library books, did a small grocery shop, picked the kid up (all in 3 hours, but then have been sound asleep for 5 hours. Frustrating that I'm still so wiped out. But, it's a cool rainy day, so I'm thankful for my warm bed and lazy puppies. Take care, Val
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Out the door today it was showing 41 degrees 1 degree cooler than yesterday, however the breeze has dies down so it was more comfortable. I have walked 7.8K steps so far. After walking up to the bank yesterday and some light yard work, I ended the day at 12,943 steps so I walked back and forth in the bedroom before retiring to be over 13,000 steps :)

While walking today one I finished one of Old Time Radio Shows I have been listening to the remainder of, the December 25, 1943 episode of command performance as linked yesterday and listened to Dinah Shore, Bob Hope, Jack Benny , Fred Allen and more. Then I listened to the Christmas shows from Nick Carter & Henry Morgan.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Hi!

You all have me scrounging for split pea soup! I think it is large lima beans I have in the pantry. Luckily I have to shop today!

That is wonderful that your daughter is competing, Val, and doing that well! That dispels the old myth girls don't do well in math if given the chance!

Roger, your article on the worst retirement states was interesting. No surprises really, except yours (New Jersey). I would not have thought that. Actually... you had said you did not have the fitbit software problems, but it was a few days ago! LOL! I do not mind it disappearing as much if it just comes back, which it did in a few days. It is just weird. My computer is acting strange here lately. It is buffering more when I click onto links if I am in something else. I have cleaned it often, and have webroot security that scans often. I do use it alot, and it is getting older. Last night I could not get it to turn off. It just did not respond. I finally just put it to sleep. (ha ha!) I do not know if it was me or the computer having problems. I had to try 2 times toget it on, and really hit the on button much longer than usual, and things came up. It seems better today! Techy problems for my non- tech mind!

Keep up the good work all!
    Jan........winter cloudy (nice), with rain on the way! :)

Hi Jan
    There are some tests that can be run on Your computer by yourself. I would take a two prong approach to it and first run a hard drive diagnostic to give it a green light and follow that up with a thorough Malware scan.
    I would go here and use these this software for the drive condition scan.
    http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3
    using this link to download the Western Digital Data Lifeguard test software, BTW it seems to work on all drives, I have run it on Seagate, WDC, and SSD drives. http://downloads.wdc.com/windlg/WinDlg_v1_31.zip
    Supported Operating Systems
    Windows 10
    Windows 8 32/64-bit versions
    Windows 7 32/64-bit versions
    Windows Vista 32/64 bit versions
    Windows XP 32/64-bit versions

Then go here and sign up for a free account. This site is trustworthy and had a good reputation. They also run a free Malware removal school for the members that do that type of work.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
    I would look at these two forums and decide which one to use if the drive passes the test.
    Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
    One of the last bastions of computer security warriors and healers. Bring your troubled PC here for top-of-the-line help with Malware Analysis and Removal by our trained professionals. This forum is only for those seeking aide with Malware removal. For security purposes, only authorized personnel may respond to requests for assistance.

Example post Infected By Various Malwares
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/633731/infected-by-various-malwares/

or this one Am I infected? What do I do?
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
    You never thought that it could happen to you, but it did. You went out and got infected with a nasty bit of malware that has dug its smelly claws into the very bowels of your computer. Fret not, for help is at hand! Use this forum to vanquish the evil intruder!
    No DDS, FRST, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs should be posted in this forum.

This second selection is member helping members whereas the first one is handled by staff members that have been specially trained by Bleeping Computer.
    Here is a link to a typical problem from this forum, sound familiar?
    PC running slow. Sometimes apps hang (like IE, Incredimail)
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632494/pc-running-slow-sometimes-apps-hang-like-ie-incredimail/?view=getnewpost

If You do that send me a PM with a link to Your user name there and I can keep an eye on things for You.

If You make Pea soup I hope You enjoy it immensely
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    My sinus infection appears mostly over, but still struggling to get energy back. Today I took my kid to school (Saturday practice fir next week's competition), got an oil change, returned library books, did a small grocery shop, picked the kid up (all in 3 hours, but then have been sound asleep for 5 hours. Frustrating that I'm still so wiped out. But, it's a cool rainy day, so I'm thankful for my warm bed and lazy puppies. Take care, Val

Hi Val
    That is good news regarding the Sinus infection.

It sounds like it was a busy three hours TBH :)

Have a Nice Day
    Stay Dry
    Rger
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Today's cooking experiment was not as successful as most. I chopped parsnips, rudabaka, butternut squash, and a couple little potatoes and threw them in a crockpot with veggie broth, garlic, ginger, and nutmeg...then puréed when soft. Looks like baby food and way way way too bland. Not sure how to help it. I ate a bowl but can't say I enjoyed it. Still drained of energy. Hope you have a nice week!
  • Buttons61
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Today's cooking experiment was not as successful as most. I chopped parsnips, rudabaka, butternut squash, and a couple little potatoes and threw them in a crockpot with veggie broth, garlic, ginger, and nutmeg...then puréed when soft. Looks like baby food and way way way too bland. Not sure how to help it. I ate a bowl but can't say I enjoyed it. Still drained of energy. Hope you have a nice week!

I think if you added some pork cubes to it it would be fine! LO! ...I am sorry, I could not help myself! >:) ..... Seriously, it sounds good. You could leave it chunky next time and add some greens?

Glad you are feeling better ! You must have needed that rest to sleep so soundly! There is nothing better than sleepy puppy! <3

Take care and have a week with some more rest added in! Jan
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Hi Rodger!

Thanks for all the info for the computer. I will see what I can do! It may be a day or so till I get into it. I have to do some paperwork for my new financial planner. My old one retired, not at a great time, as I need to make some decisions on how to handle my accounts with them but make sure I have some ready savings on hand. I had to use what I had for house repairs, a small part of the car, and Chester's surgery. I also just got word I have to decide on how to handle some retirement funds that were just released. I have an option to have cash, with 20% of it taken for taxes, or put in it my IRA, or combo, ... I think... It is all legal jargon, compounded by the fact my ex did not send any explanation to the paperwork, and reading it quickly, I do not know if this is my half or all, nor does it seem like it includes paperwork for court ordered transactions, rather than spouse. Finding out should be fun, as I have a 30 day limit that started- who knows? On top of all that, my poor son should have not gotten the paperwork; I should have, because I am sure said son really wants to be back in the middle of this again. I feel a "good grief, Charlie Brown" moment!

Good news on the 13,000 steps! That is totally awesome!

On the everybody front:

I have the split peas, just have not made soup yet! I helped out at church with the meal today due to some scheduling conflicts and may be eating chicken for a day! I can freeze a little for another day, too. Makes cooking a breeze on those days!

We have had a steady soaking rain half of Sat. and most of Sunday! I feel like I died and went to heaven, as do the birds and plant life! So fabulous!!!! Happy Dance! :)

Keep up the good work all! Jan
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Today it was showing 38 degrees 3 degrees cooler than yesterday, Fortunately the overnight rain has died down so it was comfortable. I have walked 5.5K steps so far. I will be walking up to the Post Office to mail a package to my Sister using a Medium flat rate box and that will finish mt goal in steps. Yesterday I ended the day at 10.5K steps.

No Way would I go on some of these :)
    15 Scariest Bridges in the World
    http://www.destinationtips.com/travel/15-scariest-bridges-world/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=adwords&utm_content=Scariest+Bridges&utm_campaign=ADW001-DST-18463-15-scariest-bridges-world&utm_term=hosted.ap.org-115134472521--weather&gclid=CLyZ07uX2dACFRJMDQod-CMHXA

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Today's cooking experiment was not as successful as most. I chopped parsnips, rutabaga, butternut squash, and a couple little potatoes and threw them in a crockpot with veggie broth, garlic, ginger, and nutmeg...then puréed when soft. Looks like baby food and way way way too bland. Not sure how to help it. I ate a bowl but can't say I enjoyed it. Still drained of energy. Hope you have a nice week!

Hi Val
    I'm sorry to hear that it did not go well. I suspect I would have just left them in chunks for texture and possibly some meat. I'm not sure what would work best, Bacon for flavor or Ground Meat for taste and texture or ???

I hope You get Your energy back quickly.
    Roger
    Hi Roger!

Thanks for all the info for the computer. I will see what I can do! It may be a day or so till I get into it. I have to do some paperwork for my new financial planner. My old one retired, not at a great time, as I need to make some decisions on how to handle my accounts with them but make sure I have some ready savings on hand. I had to use what I had for house repairs, a small part of the car, and Chester's surgery. I also just got word I have to decide on how to handle some retirement funds that were just released. I have an option to have cash, with 20% of it taken for taxes, or put in it my IRA, or combo, ... I think... It is all legal jargon, compounded by the fact my ex did not send any explanation to the paperwork, and reading it quickly, I do not know if this is my half or all, nor does it seem like it includes paperwork for court ordered transactions, rather than spouse. Finding out should be fun, as I have a 30 day limit that started- who knows? On top of all that, my poor son should have not gotten the paperwork; I should have, because I am sure said son really wants to be back in the middle of this again. I feel a "good grief, Charlie Brown" moment!

Good news on the 13,000 steps! That is totally awesome!

On the everybody front:

I have the split peas, just have not made soup yet! I helped out at church with the meal today due to some scheduling conflicts and may be eating chicken for a day! I can freeze a little for another day, too. Makes cooking a breeze on those days!

We have had a steady soaking rain half of Sat. and most of Sunday! I feel like I died and went to heaven, as do the birds and plant life! So fabulous!!!! Happy Dance! :)

Keep up the good work all! Jan

Hi Jan
    That sounds like good news, bad news :)
    The bad news being having to make decisions without enough information, the good news being that there is money coming in.

We had Rain where I am overnight, parts of the area north had a wintry mix.

I like being to able to pull a meal from the freezer for speed :)

Thank You for the kind words Re: Walking

Enjoy the breaking of the rain-less streak and I hope it is a big help with the drought
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Morning!

We had two inches of rain, it is quite wet out. We are expecting more tonite, with the possibility of straight line winds, or a small spin-up tornado. Dec. seems the bitter with the sweet month, lol! South of us has the greater risk.

I only saw about 5 bridges. The worst was Cambodia where I would die first of claustrophobia, and the Alaskan one with the one sided anchor. What are people thinking! Interesting! (My computer was buffering and I lost the link.) Gotta work on that!

Today? Paperwork, cleaning, and finishing my decorating. My tree is up, and lights on the porch, but my wreath keeps falling, so need to anchor it better, and finish my porch. Small things except for the paperwork!

I am going to walk some today with any luck at all! :)

Great job on your steps! Keep it up! Take care! Jan
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    My huge accomplishment yesterday was...i worked all day, plus git a couple chores done. It's been weeks since i was physically able to work a full day. (I had been working 2 to 3 hours then collapsing.) you're both right...meat (especially bacon) certainly would make my veggie purée taste better, but I'm still almost exclusively vegetarian. My kid had an idea...maybe the dogs will like it...they LOVED it, went nuts for it. Who knew? Weight is holding steady. Having been so sick for so long, I have tons of deferred maintenance and repairs. Triage...paid bills and maintained furnace yesterday. Hope today is kind to all of us!
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    Out the door it was showing 38 degrees, No breeze so it was more or less comfortable. I have walked 9,670 steps. I did pick the last of the Raspberries Sunday, There is always next year.

Rain moving in this afternoon into the overnight hours with a possibility of snow to the north of me.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Morning!

We had two inches of rain, it is quite wet out. We are expecting more tonite, with the possibility of straight line winds, or a small spin-up tornado. Dec. seems the bitter with the sweet month, lol! South of us has the greater risk.

I only saw about 5 bridges. The worst was Cambodia where I would die first of claustrophobia, and the Alaskan one with the one sided anchor. What are people thinking! Interesting! (My computer was buffering and I lost the link.) Gotta work on that!

Today? Paperwork, cleaning, and finishing my decorating. My tree is up, and lights on the porch, but my wreath keeps falling, so need to anchor it better, and finish my porch. Small things except for the paperwork!

I am going to walk some today with any luck at all! :)

Great job on your steps! Keep it up! Take care! Jan

Hi Jan
    On the plus side You did need the rain :)

We have some Suction cups that actually work well to hold the wreath. We just put one on the bottom of the window in the door and hang the wreath from it.

We still need to get the Christmas things down from the cabinets over the washer and dryer. That puts You ahead of us here.

Good Luck with the Weather
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options
    My huge accomplishment yesterday was...i worked all day, plus git a couple chores done. It's been weeks since i was physically able to work a full day. (I had been working 2 to 3 hours then collapsing.) you're both right...meat (especially bacon) certainly would make my veggie purée taste better, but I'm still almost exclusively vegetarian. My kid had an idea...maybe the dogs will like it...they LOVED it, went nuts for it. Who knew? Weight is holding steady. Having been so sick for so long, I have tons of deferred maintenance and repairs. Triage...paid bills and maintained furnace yesterday. Hope today is kind to all of us!

Hi Val
    That is interesting, the dogs loved it :) Maybe some seasoning would have helped too.

That reminds me, I need to sit down and write a check for a credit card bill. I made the deposit Saturday and Today I should see the email where it is reflected in the balance. I get them Tuesday to Saturday mornings and since I wait to see the deposit reflected before using, Oh well. The good side of it is the bill is not due until the 20th.

The good news is that despite being ill. Your weight is holding steady.

I hope You are right about the day today
    Roger
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Good morning all!

It is 60 degrees here overnite. Makes your 38 degrees seem very chilly, Roger! We had no bad weather here, but we have gotten 2 more inches of rain! We are still at a deficit but the good news is we got rain and the burn ban has been lifted. It is too wet to burn, but I do have a pile!

I have to get to my paperwork today. So much to do!

That is funny the dogs were so crazy about the soup! Those are strong veggies so I am surprised! My dogs love broths however, so maybe it should be expected. If I buy a rotisserie chicken, I usually share the chicken breast. It is their absolute favorite.That, and their peanut butter for pills.

I woke this morning with my ankle just killing me. It feels more like a sprain, from where I hurt it a few years ago. I am not sure if it is gout or it aggravates it. Either way, any walking will be tough today at all. Bummer!

I just got a few bills I was not expecting. I forgot my deductibles need paying, so my lab bills are more hefty than my usual $6.00! I feel like they take advantage of me doing labs every 3 months, and not, say, six. My numbers are so predictable, and if there is a problem, I will know and could come in. They should cut some slack for compliant people. Insurance kills me! You just can't win! :#

Take care all! Keep up the good work! ........ Jan :) ......Raspberries in Dec.! :)