Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good morning;
    We went to the gym this morning. This afternoon we are going to the Museum of Fine Arts to see the Ansel Adams exhibit.
    I went back to wearing my old sneakers and my hip seems to be better while walking on the treadmill. I tried to jog but that made it hurt.
    Roger-I haven't listened to a weather report today. I hope we are not getting the same kind of weather.
    Hi Vix
    Hi Irene.
    Have a great day! :)
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,367 Member
    Good morning.
    It's cloudy again here now and in the mid 30s, supposed to get a little warmer this afternoon.
    I see the cooling and possible snow for Tuesday and later in the week.
    Jo, glad your hip's feeling a bit better. Ansel Adams did some wonderful photography. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Good for you for keeping up with the gym.
    Roger, it is cloudy and windy here. You're really good about walking every day, but I won't walk in the bitter cold or very windy weather either. I want to enjoy my walks.
    Hi Irene.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,161 Member
    good morning, I have been wearing hoodie that covers a lot of my face so the wind doesn't bother me so much. If I waited till there was no wind I would never wall. No plans for today just going to take it easy. I did get 6,901 steps in from our walk. take care everyone
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    I just posted humor.

Hi
    I'm back home from walking and once again no money was found. The Temperature out the door was 30 degrees.

Smells crooked to me FWIW, Interesting read.
    https://www.kxan.com/news/investigations/man-loses-home-after-bastrop-county-leader-plants-no-trespassing-sign/1637084874
    Man loses home after Bastrop Co. leader plants 'no trespassing' sign

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/opinion/sunday/steve-jobs-never-wanted-us-to-use-our-iphones-like-this.html
    Steve Jobs Never Wanted Us to Use Our iPhones Like This
    The devices have become our constant companions. This was not the plan.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/actually-young-people-really-could-kill-harley-davidson.html
    Millennials may claim another victim: Harley-Davidson and the classic American motorcycle

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/110138959/nightmare-air-new-zealand-flight-to-invercargill-leaves-20-per-cent-of-passengers-vomiting
    Nightmare Air New Zealand flight to Invercargill leaves '20 per cent' of passengers vomiting

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/110199547/dunedin-neuroscientist-discovers-new-way-to-help-stroke-victims
    Dunedin neuroscientist discovers new way to help stroke victims

Slime at work
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/papakura-courier/110194480/humble-72yearold-auckland-woman-has-plants-ripped-from-garden-gnomes-stolen
    'Humble' 72-year-old Auckland woman has plants ripped from garden, gnomes stolen

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/world-war-3-cometh-syria-is-threatening-to-bomb-the-airport-in-tel-aviv-and-iran-is-pledging-to-wipe-israel-off-the-map
    World War 3 Cometh: Syria Is Threatening To Bomb The Airport In Tel Aviv And Iran Is Pledging To Wipe Israel Off The Map

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good morning;
    We went to the gym this morning. This afternoon we are going to the Museum of Fine Arts to see the Ansel Adams exhibit.
    I went back to wearing my old sneakers and my hip seems to be better while walking on the treadmill. I tried to jog but that made it hurt.
    Roger-I haven't listened to a weather report today. I hope we are not getting the same kind of weather.
    Hi Vix
    Hi Irene.
    Hi Joanne
    I hope You are correct, I do not wish the NJ weather for this week on anyone.

Ansel Adams, I haven't heard that name in a while.

The fact that the old sneakers seem to work better indicates to me that if the same model that they old ones wore in to the way You walk or that the new ones are not right for You.

That is why I buy the same brand and model for walking, Better safe than sorry :smiley:
    Especially since right from the box they do not need to be broken in.

Good Luck with the Weather
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    eku0 wrote: »
    Good morning.
    It's cloudy again here now and in the mid 30s, supposed to get a little warmer this afternoon.
    I see the cooling and possible snow for Tuesday and later in the week.
    Jo, glad your hip's feeling a bit better. Ansel Adams did some wonderful photography. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Good for you for keeping up with the gym.
    Roger, it is cloudy and windy here. You're really good about walking every day, but I won't walk in the bitter cold or very windy weather either. I want to enjoy my walks.
    Hi Irene.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. :)
    Hi Vix
    If I said I am not happy that the forecasters are talking about single digits and wind chills down to -20 degrees. I hope Being further South You escape the worst of it. Rain going over to snow for later in the day Tuesday into Wednesday :(

You may have noticed that I stayed home the last arctic blast set in and when it looked slippery.

I am not interested in walking where I have to lean into the wind.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    good morning, I have been wearing hoodie that covers a lot of my face so the wind doesn't bother me so much. If I waited till there was no wind I would never wall. No plans for today just going to take it easy. I did get 6,901 steps in from our walk. take care everyone
    Hi Irene
    The Hoodie I wear has drawstrings so I can adjust how much face is covered also. Today with the windchill I had it tied where the ties were over on my chin. Not that comfortable but better than freezing. I am guessing that when the arctic blast hits later this week, You will also stay indoors ?

That is hitting the nail on the head, wait for no wind and get no walking :wink:

Congratulations on the steps
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, on our afternoon walk yesterday I found 2 cents. Today I already walked 1 hr plus 23 minutes on the treadmill so I got in9,724 steps my weight is coming off slow but sure. not looking forward to our weather this week Roger Hi Jo and Vix
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Roger, looks like our forecast is pretty similar...yuck.
    Sunny and cold today.
    Walked in the park yesterday. It was chilly when we started. I had a nice furry hat and a scarf around my face. It warmed up a little and the sun came out as we were finishing up the walk.
    You're so good about walking Irene....congrats on the weight loss!
    Hi Jo.
    Stay warm, everyone. Happy Monday. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good morning;
    It looks like our forecast is similar also.
    You all are so good about walking outside. If I didn't go to the gym I wouldn't get any walking done in the cold weather.
    I tried a different pair of sneakers yesterday and after a while of walking around the museum my hip started hurting. It seems like I am down to my works shoes(Clarke's) and my gym sneakers that don't bother me. After I see my doc, I may go and be fitted for just the right sneakers for walking and running. There is a company here called Heartbreak Hill Running Co. that will take a video of how you walk and fit you to the right sneakers for your gait.
    Nothing planned for today, just puttering around the house.
  • RogerToo
    I have posted more humor, It includes some Cat Humor

Hi
    I'm back home from walking and once again no money was found. The Temperature out the door was 27 degrees. The weather forecast as of this morning is that rain will start this afternoon turning to Snow with the arctic Blast moving in overnight. The overnight Lows for Wednesday & Thursday are forecast to be in the single digits with bitter wind chills down to -20 in some parts of NJ

Mini Review. I liked the new NS Chicken Marsala, 230 Calories 27g Carbohydrates. It was very tasty, I shall be ordering several of these for my next order.
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-01-poor-mental-health-physical-ailments.html
    Poor mental health can lead to physical ailments

DeBlasio, NYCs Mayor...
    https://nypost.com/2019/01/27/doe-incompetence-makes-a-mockery-of-all-de-blasios-grand-school-visions/
    DOE incompetence makes a mockery of all de Blasio’s grand school visions

So Weird, NYC is a Major Financial Center
    https://nypost.com/2019/01/26/nyc-is-the-most-financially-distressed-city-in-the-nation/
    NYC is the most financially distressed city in the nation

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    good morning, on our afternoon walk yesterday I found 2 cents. Today I already walked 1 hr plus 23 minutes on the treadmill so I got in9,724 steps my weight is coming off slow but sure. not looking forward to our weather this week Roger Hi Jo and Vix
    Hi Irene
    I am thinking of not walking tomorrow as I wonder if the rain ahead of the snow will cause a layer of ice under the snow, That would be bad to walk on. Then the overnight lows combined with the bitterly cold wind chills :(
    I could dress for the overnight lows, it is the wind chills that are the problem.

If, And I say If I had gotten on the scale this morning I am sure my weight would be up after having Chinese take out. That would be Moo Shu Beef, I remembered to have them hold the 4 Pancakes that come with it, Since the menu had no mention of it I forgot to tell them to hold the White Rice. If I had held those carbs the Moo Shu Beef would have been close to OK since it is shredded cabbage, fried eggs, mushrooms and bamboo shoots in a sauce. The Rice was there so I ate it being weak when it comes to temptations
    Moo Shu Pork - 1 cup without pancakes
    cup without pancakes (154g )
    Calories from Fat 106. Calories 230.
    18% Total Fat 12g.
    11% Saturated Fat 2.2g.
    19% Cholesterol 58mg.
    13% Sodium 305mg.
    13% Potassium 446mg.
    3% Total Carbohydrates 9.6g.

Congratulations on the triple win, Step count, Money found and Weight loss.
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good morning.
    Roger, looks like our forecast is pretty similar...yuck.
    Sunny and cold today.
    Walked in the park yesterday. It was chilly when we started. I had a nice furry hat and a scarf around my face. It warmed up a little and the sun came out as we were finishing up the walk.
    You're so good about walking Irene....congrats on the weight loss!
    Hi Jo.
    Stay warm, everyone. Happy Monday. :)
    Hi Vix
    Yuck is a good term for the next 3 days.

At least this morning it was not windy so it was OK while walking. The main reason I prefer to walk early is that there is much less traffic noise which interferes with the Audio book I listen to. If I am listening to music that noise is much less of a problem. A lost of the traffic I see is commercial, Box Trucks and tractor trailers as well as a lot of garbage trucks ans some buses.

Stay Safe and Warm
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good morning;
    It looks like our forecast is similar also.
    You all are so good about walking outside. If I didn't go to the gym I wouldn't get any walking done in the cold weather.
    I tried a different pair of sneakers yesterday and after a while of walking around the museum my hip started hurting. It seems like I am down to my works shoes(Clarke's) and my gym sneakers that don't bother me. After I see my doc, I may go and be fitted for just the right sneakers for walking and running. There is a company here called Heartbreak Hill Running Co. that will take a video of how you walk and fit you to the right sneakers for your gait.
    Nothing planned for today, just puttering around the house.
    Hi Joanne
    Dang, everybody here is looking at bad weather.

Clarkes as a brand does not ring a bell. I wonder why, OTOH I suspect that brands I do remember may be long gone. When I was young, Grade School young, Buster Brown was advertising on the TV.

That sounds like a good idea, I hope they fit You with shoes that match Your gait and that they are a good cure for hip pain.

Only puttering around the house sounds like a good idea to me.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Stained glass class is cancelled for this morning. It wasn't supposed to rain or snow until this afternoon, but it has just started snowing very lightly. So I get to be lazy this morning.
    There is a beautiful red cardinal sitting on the pine tree just outside my window.
    It's important to have comfortable shoes. My podiatrist liked that I had a pair of Brooks sneakers. He said I should mostly wear those and my hiking boots for the next few months til my feet are better. I miss wearing shoes with a little more heel. I bought a pair of Clarke's sandals last summer, pretty comfortable, and Clarke's slippers for hubby, which he really likes.
    I haven't had Chinese food in a long time. I used to really like it, but it doesn't agree with me.
    Not sure if I'll trek up for pottery class or not. I'll see how the weather goes. Just stopped snowing, it may be on and off this a.m. The sky is solid gray.
    Have a great Tuesday, everyone. Stay safe and warm. :smile:
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, well when we walked this morning it was 19 but no wind so we all were fine, even Annie had her coat on. I also got on the treadmill for 26 minutes I didn't go fast or my leg would start to hurt. Not looking forward to the cold weather that is coming but not like there is anything we can do about it. I just placed another order with ns doing a la carte. Buy one get one free I might just start doing this all the time. Jo I have worn Clarke's for a long time really nice shoes. Vix maybe it was a good idea that they canceled your stain glass class. Roger I love Chinese food so I try to stay away. take care everyone
  • RogerToo
    I just posted more humor, I liked the Scale image

Hi
    I'm back home from walking and once again no money was found. The Temperature out the door was 21 degrees with a wind chill in a nearby city of 8. The rain Yesterday started and stopped on schedule and never turned o snow here, Other areas of NJ had 5 inches of snow. When I looked outside this morning it looked OK, so I went walking.
    Where I am we did dodge a bullet with the rain ending before it turned to snow. I will not be walking tomorrow considering that the wind chill today of 8 degrees was bad enough and that tomorrow will much colder. There is a chance of a brief snow this afternoon.

Mini Review. I liked the new NS Four Cheese Manicotti , 250 Calories 35g Carbohydrates. It was tasty, however it tasted a lot like the old Whole Wheat Ricotta Crepes. I will be ordering more of these in the future.

http://thesmokinggun.com/documents/funny/laxative-theft-mistake-164923
    Cops: Thief Got Less Than He Bargained For
    Suspect thought he swiped opioids, but got laxatives

https://www.bloombergquint.com/view/italy-s-populists-hand-out-some-free-money#gs.okk81ADh
    Italy Starts Handing Out Free Money

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/view/italy-s-populists-hand-out-some-free-money#gs.okk81ADh
    Italy Starts Handing Out Free Money

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/A-cure-for-cancer-Israeli-scientists-say-they-think-they-found-one-578939
    A cure for cancer? Israeli scientists say they think they found one
    “We believe we will offer in a year's time a complete cure for cancer."

Here in NJ Clinton Schools closed for a couple of days too
    https://nypost.com/2019/01/28/flu-outbreak-shuts-four-alabama-schools-spreads-to-36-states/
    Flu outbreak shuts four Alabama schools, spreads to 36 states

https://www.studyfinds.org/survey-half-doctors-consider-leaving-medicine-insurance-company-headaches/
    Survey: Half Of Doctors Considering Leaving Medicine — Because Of Health Insurance Headaches
    Poll of 600 physicians shows frustration over insurer policies and delays that doctors say could be leaving patients in prolonged pain.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/chickens-genetically-modified-lay-eggs-13916988
    Chickens genetically modified to lay eggs containing CANCER drugs in latest breakthrough
    Researchers from the University of Edinburgh's Roslin Institute believe the technique could offer a cost-effective way of producing drugs in the near future.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/01/28/extreme-cold-chicago-furnace-malfunction/
    Expert Says Common Heating Practices In Cold Weather Can Cause Your Furnace To Malfunction

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/people-robbed-of-coats-at-gunpoint
    People robbed of Canada Goose coats at gunpoint in Chicago

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good morning.
    Stained glass class is cancelled for this morning. It wasn't supposed to rain or snow until this afternoon, but it has just started snowing very lightly. So I get to be lazy this morning.
    There is a beautiful red cardinal sitting on the pine tree just outside my window.
    It's important to have comfortable shoes. My podiatrist liked that I had a pair of Brooks sneakers. He said I should mostly wear those and my hiking boots for the next few months til my feet are better. I miss wearing shoes with a little more heel. I bought a pair of Clarke's sandals last summer, pretty comfortable, and Clarke's slippers for hubby, which he really likes.
    I haven't had Chinese food in a long time. I used to really like it, but it doesn't agree with me.
    Not sure if I'll trek up for pottery class or not. I'll see how the weather goes. Just stopped snowing, it may be on and off this a.m. The sky is solid gray.
    Have a great Tuesday, everyone. Stay safe and warm. :smile:
    Hi Vix
    It sort of sounds as if Your weather was worse than in my area. I never saw anything beyond rain. We get Cardinals, Bluejays, The occasional Woodpecker that eats off of the Suet Block and the common sparrows. The Bird feeder sits where it can be seen out the Living Room Picture window. We also get Doves eating the seeds the other birds scatter from the feeder. The Darn Tree Rats AKA Squirrels were getting at the Feeder and decimating the contents despite the Squirrel Proof Feature so I ended up ordering a large Collar for the pole that did stop them. I still see them eating off the ground in competition with the Doves :(

I tried Faux Fur Lined Moccasins for around the house wear, Not my best decision as the fur tends to trap and hold any grit that might get tracked into the house. Where some of what gets into them comes from is a mystery to me. I think I will try the cloth lined ones next time.

IS it worth going for one of the two classes ?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    good morning, well when we walked this morning it was 19 but no wind so we all were fine, even Annie had her coat on. I also got on the treadmill for 26 minutes I didn't go fast or my leg would start to hurt. Not looking forward to the cold weather that is coming but not like there is anything we can do about it. I just placed another order with ns doing a la carte. Buy one get one free I might just start doing this all the time. Jo I have worn Clarke's for a long time really nice shoes. Vix maybe it was a good idea that they canceled your stain glass class. Roger I love Chinese food so I try to stay away. take care everyone
    Hi Irene
    Yesterday was not bad for walking here either, Today I was feeling the wind chill and given tomorrows forecast there is no way I plan to leave the house beyond getting the mail :smiley:

I just looked to see and I had no notice of a Buy one Get one A La Carte sell in my email, I wonder if it is only available to select members. At the price I would buy more of the new Dinner Entrees since I only bought one of each to test the taste of them.

I suspect that You may have escaped bad weather Tuesday ?

I find that with Chinese Food and I love the taste FWIW it does cause cravings :(

Have a Nice Day
    Roger

Hi Joanne
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, roger the offer was only for 10 items which was fine with me the offer was on Numi. We did go for a short 45 minute walk we all were bundled up. We just got a dusting of snow none on the roads just grass and some sidewalks . I am down another pound I am actually following the plan so far it is going good oh I also goy on the treadmill for 26 minutes hi Vix and Jo hey jo how are your hips now hope by changing your shoes it will be better. take care everyone stay warm