Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,156 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
    Jo...congrats on your treadmill running. That's great! Hope you got some nice new tops.
    Irene, great job on the treadmill! Let us know how you like the bowflex. Yes, I am going to get the lashes for the wedding. I like how they look. Hope your mammogram went well.
    Jan, I go to acupuncture for pain management and relaxation. Apparently I stress without even knowing it. I am retired, but I spent so many years totally stressed out from work and trying to balance home life/work life. I continue going because I believe it helps me. I feel calmer, and sometimes get some relief from chronic pain. It is covered by my insurance, so I only have a copay. I also get massages and go to a chiropractor. It's part of my therapy to avoid prescription meds as much as possible.
    I am having a terrible time trying to control my weight right now, so I've made an appt with a nutritionist this afternoon. I'll see how that goes.
    Off to stained glass and clay groups today.
    Hope you're doing better, Roger.
    Happy Tuesday, everyone.
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,120 Member
    Options
    good morning, Jan yes Annie is a dog and she is a German short hair pointer she is 13 years old and pretty active we take her for 2 walks a day her 1st walk is to the lake and she loves to chase the stick ,her second walk is we check on her cat friends to make sure they are all right. Annie loves cats . My apt went fine as far as I know. I am also retired I am 63 . Today I am going to BJ's my eye glasses are in . vix good luck with the nutritionist I hope it helps . Did another 51 minutes on the treadmill but jo not as good as you I only do a fast walk . take care everyone . prayers are sent for Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon;
    Just got home from work.
    I wish I was retired. I have about 3 1/2 more years before I can retire.
    Jan-I love dogs. We always had a dog. Now we are a 2 cat household, Vinny (who is diabetic and needs insulin shots twice a day) and Sophie.
    Vix-good luck with the nutritionist. I hope she is able to help you.
    Irene-I hope you enjoy the bowflex. I have one and it is sitting in the basement collecting dust. I am going to the gym this afternoon and hopefully I can run a little farther on the treadmill today.
    Hi Val.
    Enjoy your evening. :)

• hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I’m 54 years old, divorced 5 kids (4 at home) and 5 dogs. I birthed 2 daughters, one is almost 30 and lives in Indiana, the other is 16 and lives with me in Texas. I took in 3 young adults a few years ago...and now we’re honorary family. Four of my 5 dogs were adoption-returns or deemed unadoptable, and the 5th was going to be put down for space. I work way too much at a super-stressful job...and can’t see how i will ever be able to retire. I recently resigned from dog rescue (trying to make time for my kid and me), but have fostered about 1,000 doggos in the last 15 years.
    I had acupuncture after a car accident years ago and found it very helpful.
    I’ll be away on vacation in Ireland from the 15th to 26th and unsure whether I’ll be able to log in. So please keep Jan company! She’s a wonderful lady! 💙💙💙
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Vix, I sympathize with stress. Even though I am not subject to it anymore, my body has a harder time letting all that go. Hope your appt goes well. I am struggling a bit these last few weeks, too.

Irene, Annie sounds lovely! I like her routine and loves she checks on her cats! Good job on the treadmill!!

JoAnne, hope the time goes fast for you to retire! It is close!! Sounds like you have your hands full with work and giving Vinnie shots. My friend had a diabetic cat. She would sit like a little marshmallow on the back of the couch cushion to get her shots. It seemed pretty amazing! Gym and treadmill? Wow!!

Val, thanks for the kind words! .... Hoping all this flurry of exercise rubs off on me!! :)

Happy 4th all!! <3
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, Jo thanks For Mikes E-mail address . I sent him a message and he told me that Roger is still not doing all that great his bp is like 50-60 over range . his liver is deteriorating and his kidney is being impacted as well. That's pretty much all he wrote. My plans for today Is to go to Deborah and give communion to the sick Jan and Val I go every Wednesday. then maybe some grocery shopping. Val you sure have a lot going on it is so awesome that you rescue animals I can see why you resigned from it, take care everyone
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Irene, 2 walks plus the treadmill seems like plenty of exercise, and with the bowflex you'll be adding in your upper body. You are going to be buff!
    Jo, you're doing great with the gym. And you always keep busy. 3 years isn't so bad. The last year goes really fast. :smiley:
    Val, your life seems really busy!!! And so full with helping others and taking in rescues. It's good that you will be taking a nice vacation to give yourself some R & R. What kind of work do you do...if you can, you should look into stress lowering techniques. It's not healthy.
    Jan, I really don't feel stressed anymore. Just years of buildup take their toll. I find it hard to exercise too....have to force myself. It's very hard to motivate.
    The visit with the Dietitian was good. She will work on the inflammation and the weight loss with me. Although I still have questions today. I'm writing them all down and will email her later, when I think I have them all. ;)
    My house cleaner is here this morning. So nice. I have some errands to run, but no special plans for today.
    Happy Wednesday, everyone. :)
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Irene - thank you for sharing the update re Roger. I’m so sad. Sounds like he’s really struggling. It’s not a good sign when additional organs have issues. Hoping and praying for a miracle. He’s been such a rock — a steadfast example of consistency and positivity. He’s always been encouraging and kind.
    Vix - my life is too busy, so much so that i miss out on important things. Resigning from that rescue group was my first step to try to ensure I make time for important stuff. Rescuing animals is very important to them and me...but my child has been patiently waiting for her turn...and I allowed myself to overcomit...and missed precious time with her. I’m glad that I’ve shown her that it’s important to give back to society...but I don’t want to teach her that she’s not important. That is not the message I want her to internalize.
    I do need a less stressful job! Roger and Jan have heard how crazy it gets. I’m not sure what to do about it. As to what I do....I write proposals to the government for high-tech engineering and cyber projects.
    Irene - I’m sure that your work with the sick brings them comfort. That is wonderful.
    Joanne - so nice to connect with another dog lover. Good luck with the treadmill. Especially with my crazy schedule, I try to carve out treadmill time as my self-care activity. I’ve been learning so much on YouTube while I walk.
    Happy and safe 4th to all.
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good afternoon;
    Today was really busy at work. Val and Jan, I work in the produce department of a supermarket. I have only been doing this for 5 years, before that I worked in the health and beauty care section of the store. I have been at this for 30+ years.
    Irene-I got the same message from Roger's brother. I will continue to pray for a positive outcome.
    Vix-good news about the dietician. Will She give you a specific diet to eat?
    Jan-I have only been going to the gym since December. I try to go 3 times a week. I drag my husband along kicking and screaming. :D
    Val-I hope you have a wonderful vacation. Ireland is on my bucket list. You will have to take lots of pictures. Are you going with a tour group or on your own?
    Do you all have any plans for the 4th? I bought some salmon and zucchini and will cook them on the grill. I wanted something other than hamburgers and hot dogs. Haven't decided if we will go to the fireworks.
    Have a safe and happy 4th. :)
  • eku0
    Options
    Hi all.
    Irene, sorry I missed your post. Thanks for the update on Roger. I didn't get that one. Keep up those prayers, sounds like he needs a little miracle.
    Val, it's good to take stock and get your priorities in order. That is a stressful job. Sounds like it's in between the techs and management and the gov't. Hopefully you don't have to work a lot of overtime and get to leave your job at work.
    Jo, she gave me a plan, but I need to recontact her. Some of it was on a website, which seems different than what she was telling me. I'll email her for answers, once I get all my questions figured out!
    We have no plans for the 4th, other than relaxing. Our town is celebrating tonight. I can look out from my house and see a lot of the fireworks.
    Have a good holiday, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    happy 4th of July every one. Our plans for today is hanging out in our back yard in the pool. We are not big fans of going out on the holidays way too much traffic. Well today is my weigh in day and I lost 2 pounds I am so excited I think most of it is due to the extra time on the treadmill, and of course following ns. just glad it is working. Vix sounds like you are going to be great with this new plan. Val when do you leave for your vacation it sounds awesome . My sister has gone there twice they loved it my Brother in law has family there. Jan your life sounds busy. Jo your dinner sounds yummy take care everyone and be safe . started a novena for Roger hope it helps
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Happy 4th.
    I was up and out the door at 5:30. My daughter and I walked 2 miles.
    Irene-congratulations on 2 lbs. lost.
    Vix-I use to be able to see the fireworks from my backyard, until a new high school was built on the field where they were shot off. Maybe when the old school is torn down the fireworks can be shot from there, time will tell.
    Hi Jan and Val.
    Have a great day! :)
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Irene...enjoy your relaxing day in the pool. :) Congrats on losing 2 pounds! Yay! Thanks for the novena for Roger...I'm sure he appreciates it. I hope he starts getting better.
    Jo...that's a great walk. I did a mile with my daughter and grandson the other day. (Our loop is actually 1.2 miles.) I walked faster with them than I normally do, so I felt good about that.
    Enjoy your salmon grill today. :)
    I have no special plans for today. Will get on the eliptical, and do some exercises, maybe do some things around the house...always plenty to do.
    Happy Thursday, everyone.
    88ftoq5br581.png
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Awww!! Snoopy is one of my favorites! My dad loved Charlie Brown, as did I. Of course, Snoopy is my favorite!! Roger would like your posting, Vix!! I actually went to bed at 3 in the morning. So I am sure I am always a day late and a dollar short!! I am home relaxing with May May, my lazy lovable dog, today and having ribs! Also do not like going to crowds so no parades and fireworks anymore!. (unless the neighbors do some!) I am about 25 miles north of Montgomery, Alabama, so there is a chance I will have a big display close to my backyard. It is country, between subdivisions, but close to a few stores that make life easier as I get older! :)

I hope everyone had a great 4th!! <3

Irene congratulations on losing your 2 lbs! And your novena. And I applaud you all for your walking and exercise. You all have inspired me to drag out my yoga for seniors cd! Too hot at 94 with a heat index around 106. I did run out of the A/C long enough to water a few flowers and play ball with May! Jo bless you getting up so early and walking! I know dealing with the public is not easy, and grocery stores never rest!!

Val- someone in San Antonio is opening ice cream and licking it and putting it back!! :D Tracking her to Lufkin..So gross, but would help me dieting... :)

<3 Miss you, Roger!! <3
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Happy 4th! I started my day with a 4-mile hike (steep and rocky) with my ladies’ group. Then we went to breakfast and chatted for 3 hours. This Saturday we’re going on a 7-mile hike (flat).
    I always stay home with my dogs on July 4 because of the fireworks. This year my vet prescribed CBD dog chews and I’m surprised at how well they work! The dogs are relaxed but not groggy.
    Normally my job has way too much overtime (all unpaid). For the past month, it was 70-80 hours per week. This week NO overtime! I’m elated.
    I booked this ireland trip through Great Value Vacations. I chose the plan with a rental car. They chose the hotels and numbers if days in which locations, plus some of the activities. I’m doing research on other things to do in each town but trying to stay flexible and leave free time.
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Jan, what were you doing up so late? Alabama...I guess it is hot and humid a lot down there. I stay in the AC a lot too. It's supposed to go up to 88 today with possible t-storms in the evening. Yuck on the ice cream licking person!
    Val, those are really great hikes you're doing, congrats on that. I take CBD oil when I remember...it is calming and supposed to help with inflamation. That's way too much work! Good that you don't have the OT this week. Sounds like a great way to book a vacation where they figure everything out for you. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.
    Hi Jo and Irene!
    I have no plans again for today...I still have plenty to do around the house. I did laundry yesterday, changed all the bedclothes to the summer versions and washed the spring ones, returned some books to the library, went on my eliptical and did some PT exercises. Somehow the days fly by even if I don't do much.
    I think I'll check in with Mike today and see how Roger's doing.
    Happy Friday, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning ladies, We walked Annie to the lake and then I came home and did 3 mile walk on the treadmill it takes like an hour. No really big plans I think we are going to pick up corn for the deer ,they come right up to my back fence ,I will talk to them as they are eating I think they try to under stand . Our weather is going to be another hot one it is already 73 but it will be another pool day. take care everyone
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good afternoon;
    Irene-Get job walking. Better watch out or we will be calling you the deer whisperer. ;)
    Jan-I think they caught the person licking the ice cream and she will be prosecuted. You would think if they were going to do something like that they wouldn't take a photo and put it on social media.
    Val-great job on the hiking, that is impressive. You must be salary working all those hours and no OT pay. Your trip sounds great, I am excited for you.
    Vix-my daughter started using CBD oil for her migraines. She is still undecided if it actually helps.
    I worked this morning and am now getting ready to go grocery shopping.
    Enjoy your evening and try to stay cool. :)

• hope4change_val
    Options
    Happy 5th. I only worked a partial day today, and now am getting my oil changed. So far, a 2-hour wait...I guess I’m not the only one with the afternoon off!
    We have another hike tomorrow morning, and then Sunday my ladies-hiking group is going to the movies. It’s amazing all the extra time I have without that overtime and volunteer job. I feel like I’m already on vacation!
  • Buttons61
    Options
    My A/C went out the 4th. My unit froze. I kept it off till the am today but no luck . My A/C guy just left and replaced the blower. Under warranty so VERY lucky there and cool! May May is beside herself with happiness!! Me too!! It was 95 degrees and a heat index of 106. I have a lot of trees so lucked out. My house only got to 83 inside.

Glad they caught the ice cream lady! Reminded me of the robber police chased because he was wearing those light up tennis shoes when they first came out! :D

Love your week so far Val!! How wonderful you can have deer come up to the house, Irene! That is my kind of day!
    Jo, at least you do not have to go far to shop! Hope it was a short morning!

I worked night shift for almost 20 years, so I can slip into that mode too easily! I was about to go to bed around midnite, then remembered I needed to chart my food, and say goodnight to a friend who still works nites. By then I had a second wind and watched a movie. :#

Watch the heat everyone!!