Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,173 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    Thanks to parityanimal for the info.
    Irene, sorry about your chigger bites...good that you went to the doc and got some help. Hope you feel better soon.
    Val, hope your cold is feeling better.
    Hi Jan and Jo.
    Went to the podiatrist this a.m. The main joint in my foot is irritated. He gave me some stretches to do, I have a brace to wear at night, and told me to wear my Brooks running shoes most of the time til the next appt. I'm going back in 2 weeks. If it's not improving enough, he will take an x-ray, and possibly give me a cortisone shot.
    Going to a dress fitting for my future DIL later this afternoon. Busy day.
    Rainy here.
    Hope you all have a good day.
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Hi All. Since my fever broke, I’ve been feeling improved. Thanks for the well-wishes.
    I started NS in January 2015. Em just turned 12...now 16. She’s starting jogging with Boudreaux. He is totally her dog! He loves me but he views her as his. I like that he’s her jogging partner...very protective of her! Plus they have fun together.
    I’m just busy with work. School starts Monday (for Em).
    Does anyone like Downton Abbey? The movie is less than a month away! I’m excited.
    Roger certainly was awesome role model for exercise consistency! Plus he left us with many fun stories. I appreciate that he (and Vix!) brought our groups together to widen our circle of friends. I feel encouraged by all of his lessons. And, yes, sad because I’m missing him. He’d rather that I focus on the encouragement! So I’ll try.
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Yep..needed the group hug! <3
    One thing I realized, over the years he chatted more and more...really nice.
    Val, one of the first pages (MFP) was your dogs pictures and Em..she was so little! From 2015.
    Wish I remembered when we all started on NS site.
    Irene, sorry for your mites. We have them here too. Most people here call them no-seeums! also chiggers. Drives me crazy but never had it as bad as you seem to have them..Bummer!! Hope it clears up soon!!
    Hi Jo!! Do not work TOO hard!! :)
    Appreciate you guys!!
    Cheers, <3

Had an e-mail from Mike this afternoon. He said that the nurse who contacted him about Roger was with him and wanted Mike to know he was not alone when he passed.. He said Roger received very wonderful care. <3
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Good evening
    Thank you Irene for letting us know about Roger. I am so sad. He was such a big part of our lives for so many years. He never missed a day on here unless he was really wasn't feeling well. May he rest in peace.
    Val-I love Downton Abby. There is an exhibition here in Boston. My daughter and I are going to try to see it. I am glad your fever broke and you are feeling better.
    Irene-sorry about the chigger bites. I hope the itching stops soon.
    Jan-I first started NS in 2009. I initially lost 30 lbs. I gained it back and then some. I went on it again and lost 20 lbs, gained that back and then some. Currently I have lost 20 lbs and and still trying to lose about 20 more.
    Vix-I hope the stretches help your toe. Only a few more weeks until the wedding, how exciting!

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    good morning, Vix sorry about your foot hopefully you won't need to get a shot. I know Roger has been with us over 4 years but that's about all I remember . His brother seems to be just like him he likes to send jokes I have received a couple from him too bad we couldn't get him to come on here. Jo are you still on ns if you are ns gift cards are on sale at Costco it says us so much money. Val are you all done with your cold? it seems when I get a summer cold it hangs on forever. Well to day is a holy day so I will be meeting my husband in Trenton and going to church at 12pm so this way we won't have to go tonight. My itching is still there but not as bad. I would also like to thank party animal for the details. take care all
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Good morning. Feeling accomplished so far 8am). Walked 3 miles while watching a funny movie about a working mom (something like How does she do it?), grocery shopped, made meals ahead for my vegetarian child and my keto self...while fasting! Fed and exercised the doggos. Now to deal with work! 😅
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning;
    Val-you are a busy bee this morning. :)
    Irene-I am still on NS and still have some gift cards from the last time. I have delayed my order until the end of Sept. because I have so much food. I think when I use up the last of my gift cards I will just buy A la Carte as needed.
    I have a Dr. appt this afternoon to have my blood pressure checked. I also have a lump on my inner arm that I am going to have her check.
    Hi Jan and Vix.
    Have a great day!
  • eku0
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Good morning.
    I babysat for a little while this morning. So much fun.
    Val, glad you're feeling better. Good that your daughter has a doggy buddy to run with. You have had a busy morning! (I like Downton Abby too).
    Jan, thanks for the info...good that Roger was not alone and had wonderful care. Sounds like he left peacefully.
    Jo, good luck with your continued weight loss...it seems like a constant battle for most of us.
    Good luck with your Dr. appt. Hope all is well.
    Irene, hope your chigger bites clear up soon. It would be nice if Mike wanted to join us, but I guess he has his own things.
    I started NS in 2006...I can't remember how much I lost, but not too much...started back in 2009 and lost 30 pounds in the first year, then it took me 6 months to lose another 10 pounds, and then the weight loss just stopped (about 10 pounds over goal.) I'm up about 15-20 pounds from that, and would like to lose it again. So far I've lost a couple of pounds in 6 weeks following the advice of the dietitian. Better than nothing.
    I have my stretches and things to do. Thanks for the well-wishes.
    I'm kind of tired, haven't been sleeping well.
    Happy Thursday, everyone. :)
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Hi!
    Just getting back to lessening my carbs except today. It was a fried seafood lunch day with key lime pie. Getting right back on to minimal carbs for Friday.
    I keep in the same 20 to 25 pound area, losing and gaining in a circle. Only Problem is I have about 100 to lose. On the bright side, it could be worse. Not a long haul type dieter. Need to be!! :)
    Waiting patiently for Downton Abbey too!
    Good losing Jo!!
    Not too far from goal Vix!! Hope you and Val feel better and hope you sleep better Vix!!
    Hot Hot though not so humid.
    Flowers thinking it is mid September, lol... :D
    Take care!! <3
  • eku0
    Options
    Jan, like they say, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. It's getting used to eating a different way. I guess I have a big incentive with fighting off autoimmune diseases. Helps to keep me on the straight and narrow most of the time. I know if I stray too much, I feel worse.
    I think it helps to have a reason. Good luck. Thanks for your kind thoughts.
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Vix-very true that we are more consistent when we have a reason!
    My reasons include to live healthier longer as to not burden my kiddo. To not injure any EMT, nurse, or coroner that has to move my body (yes—that really bugs me); to be more functional so i can travel and do stuff without restrictions; to stay off meds! (With the 40 lost so far, im off blood pressure meds and far away from diabetic (was previously high borderline diabetic). I still have another 60 pounds to lose. I’m going to try to emulate Roger’s consistency in walking daily!
    Hugs to all of you! Thank you for being here.
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Val, it helps to know that you actually feel better when you eat better! :smiley: I'm not good with meds at all, and this helps me stay off of them, except for occasionally. I think you're on the right path and will do well.
    I have nothing specific planned for today, but am sure the day will fill up. Will go see my grandson, and take care of a few errands, and poof...the day is gone!
    Happy Friday, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning everyone, Val wow 40 pounds that is so awesome. Vix thanks for asking it reminded me to take my chigger med I totally for got I don't take any medicine except my vitamins so when I need to take them I kind a forget. Jo the only thing I do is ala carte it works for me. I have been loosing because increased my exercise and really following ns plan. oh and the built bars help that is my protein. since I really don't eat a lot of protein it helps , of course the 5 miles on the treadmill goes along ways. HI jan
    well need to go grocery shopping take care everyonea
  • Buttons61
    Options
    Back on limited carbs. I do feel better when I do that!! Val you are doing so great!! Keep it up!!! Vix, the days just fly, I am not sure why that is! Jo, your being so active is what is doing it, congratulations. NS is a good plan..Irene, I have to put a reminder up for my mid day pills ..I tend to forget those..So easy to do!! Have a great week end!!!
  • hope4change_val
    Options
    Rough night, tough day, and now that cold turned in a sinus infection (I’m prone to those). During night power went out so mostly blind 100-pond dog became frantic. Then the smoke detector kept chirping and frantic went to terror. Then he ran through the house peeing. Thankful for tile floors. Got the batteries changed and floors cleaned in the dark. Then decided to try for a little sleep. Weird dream - i was in Mexico with no id, credit, or cash. I speak very little spanish. I ended up in a paddy wagon going to jail. So then I awoke and went to work. First thing someone put highly confidential info on a public system. I got it removed and reported it to management. The day didn’t get better, just longer. Now I have a fever and feel awful. ☹️ it’s 6:45 here... I’m going to bed! 🙃
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning;
    Val-sinus infections are awful. I hope you feel better soon. Did you get antibiotics?
    Oh poor doggy. Have you tried one of those thunder shirts for dogs? It is supposed to calm them. I think Irene has one for her Annie. That is great that you are off BP meds and your Alc is good.
    Jan-I always feel better when I limit the carbs...and I love bread, so it is a struggle.
    Irene-I know if I stay 100% on plan I will lose, but some days are harder than others. I will keep plugging along.
    Vix-Are the exercises helping your foot?
    The Dr. put me back on a low dose of BP meds. Hopefully if I lose another 10-20 lbs. I can come off of it. On the other hand my A1c was normal. I do not like to take medication, so this may be a good incentive for me to get the extra weight off.
    Have a wonderful day! :)
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Irene, you're doing great with the diet and exercise. I would love to get to goal some day.
    Jan, good for you! Right now I am sticking with fruits, veggies, lean protein, and limited healthy fat (nuts, avocado, oil). It helps to stay away from the grains, potatoes, and sugar.
    Val, hope you got some antibiotics for the sinus infection...that's awful about the power outage. If you're that sick, you should stay home. Give yourself time to heal, and not pass the germs on to others. Hope you feel better soon.
    Jo, good luck losing the weight and getting off the meds again. I know you can do it. :smile:
    The exercises/stretches, brace and sneakers seem to be helping my foot and ankle. The podiatrist is really nice, I should have gone back to him sooner.
    It's very foggy out this morning. We have a pool party to go to this afternoon...I hope it clears up.
    Happy Saturday, everyone. :)
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,705 Member
    Options
    Just noticed they eventually put a picture up on Roger's obituary at https://www.sheenanfh.com/notices/Roger-Torre but I imagine they've had the service by now...

Have the best Saturday you can, y'all! I have vegan baked beans for 50 going in the oven now for a pool party this HOT afternoon. Thank goodness I won't be the one at the grill doing the burgers and hot dogs! That's a hot job! I will be happy to eat one of each though, without any buns. :)
  • eku0
    Options
    hrar8lauzxjf.png
    Thanks, parityanimal
    Enjoy the party.
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, Thank you party animal Roger was a great friend of our never knew what he looked like . Val I am so sorry you are so sick hope you start to feel better. Jo we don't have the thunder shirt I really have thought about it but I just take Annie into the tv room close the door put the tv on and we have a fan in there and I put it on it drowns out the noise of the storm. Of course val that won't help you if you don't have power. Party animal enjoy your party. vix I am hoping it foot helps with the brace. Jan hope the lower carbs help you . take care all I am going to get in the pool