Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,183 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    Went to painting and drawing class this morning. Starting a new project.
    Cold here too, but up to the 40s later, and sunny, so that's nice. I wore my fake Uggs today, very warm and cozy.
    15 is cold, Jo! Winter weather! Good to get your recall fixed and fun to stop at Whole Foods.
    I am having a lot of fun with our grandson...I don't really care what he calls me....as soon as something sounds close, I'll take it! He's got dada and bobo and some other sounds...no mama yet. haha...maybe I should claim bobo! (just kidding).
    Cold weather always makes me want soup. I bought butternut squash for soup.
    Irene, enjoy your nice warm boots! Good for your walks in the cold weather.
    Ed, stew sounds yummy.
    Happy Thursday, everyone. 🦊 Stay warm! ⛄
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Hello!!
    A little warmer tonite..we have clouds. Low of about 42, maybe slightly colder with the wind chill. I had made chili already, enough for 2 days. Actually all the soups sound good about now! I love butternut squash and pumpkin soup! I have the stuff for the pumpkin, so that may be next! I am so ready for Thanksgiving! I actually love it better than Christmas now that the kids are getting old, and even the grandkids. They like cash best, it is just not the same! Though I think I can sneak in one or two things, lol...
    Hi Val!! Gosh Jo, that is too cold!! Not a toyota on that recall is it? Asking because my back up camera seems to need adjusting.. They do tell you how if it is a little off. I have to do mine when warmer and with the book in front of me!! Just hoping mine was not a recall.Inconvenient for you, but free I assume. Ed, the stew sounds yummy! What euro soups are at Aldi? I might need to investigate!! Vix, I think the age your grandson is is one of the best times! Irene, you are so right. Sometimes paying extra for some quality is well worth the price!!
    Take care all!! <3
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,127 Member
    Options
    good morning, well today I am going to Debora hospital with a friend she didn't want to go by herself. I also have to do food shopping. Aw vix your grandson is at a great age . Ed you and Jan are temping me to make soup. It was a little warmer today for our morning walk it was in the 30s Jo good luck with your camera hi val
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,737 Member
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic Friday! Not as cold, but 90% chance of rain. I don't think I need to go anywhere tonight, but a nap would be lovely since I didn't get one yesterday, and got up early today to boot. Might get a little housecleaning done. I started on the vacuuming yesterday.
    Buttons61 wrote: »

Ed, the stew sounds yummy! What euro soups are at Aldi? I might need to investigate!!

Well, they have 4 that I noticed, and bought. They seem to have these first three (pictured) pretty much through autumn and into at least early spring.

$2.19

lw5a8chebse5.png

cmwflcuvbq3r.png

v9kcf4zto5tp.png

And, in addition, I think at the same price, Hearty Pea Soup, in a similar sized can.

Oddly enough, I didn't care for pea soup until I joined NutriSystem, so many years ago. But I found, to my surprise, that my adult taste buds disagreed with my childhood memories, and their pea soup became a favorite. The same went for the little buckets of tomato soup for lunch. I had not cared much for tomato soup, even as a younger adult, but that little bucket of soup became another favorite, and I have cultivated a broader spectrum of tastes.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

All mushrooms are edible. Some, only once...

• Buttons61
    Options
    Ed, thanks for posting the soups..Guess I need to visit!! My tastes have changed somewhat as I get older. Probably some of the meds change things too! In your case, it seems a change for the better!! Irene, sweet of you to go with your friend!! Hope everyone stays warm and dry. We are cold and rainy all day..though better weather to follow!! The plants are so confused, lol... :#
  • eku0
    Options
    Hi all...
    oops, my post from this a.m. disappeared!
    Jan, if you have a recipe for pumpkin soup, maybe you could post it....I've never cooked a pumpkin!
    Irene, nice of you to go with your friend.
    Ed, the soups look hearty...should be filling. Enjoy.
    I went to acupuncture today instead of next Monday because I am scheduled to be on call for jury duty next week. It was cool and sunny here today. They finally reopened my TJMaxx store on Sunday (it had been hit by the tornado last year) so I stopped by there today, just to walk around and see what they had. I picked up some nice organic teas.
    Hope everyone had a happy Friday! :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! Looks like it will be a nice day. I may get out for a few things. I bought some frozen pancakes at Aldi. If I eat them with plenty of protein on the side a serving of three makes a nice treat for me at breakfast. I often don't have any syrup on them, saving that option for when I have earned a MAJOR treat. I remember the old NS dry pancake mix that people converted into all sorts of yummy muffins, cookies, etc. I even developed a recipe for breakfast Snickerdoodles from that mix! I was sad when they discontinued it.

When I take an after breakfast reading, I'll see what impact three, small, no syrup pancakes have, along with eggs and sausage. Blood glucose readings have been looking really good the last several days. I have been keeping a slightly closer watch on what I eat, and since starting up with OnDuo I have a coach who is much more available. We can leave messages in the app and he (or she - there are two but only one has communicated with me so far) can help me set realistic goals. Unfortunately I am still the one who has to try to meet those goals. I always get the difficult part! But having frequent (at least weekly) contact with the team will help to keep me on track, I hope.

Much to my surprise, my insurance plan is not only paying for the OnDuo/TelCare membership, but sent several mailers suggesting it, and letting me know that it was fully covered! I don't know how long that will be paid for but I want to get the best out of it while I can. I am sure that my local endocrinologist will be pleased about this when I see him next, in January.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, well I woke up with stuffy nose and a little sore throat hope I am not coming down with a cold. It was nice going to the hospital the people so are grateful. Debora is a heart and lung hospital so you know if you are in there it is pretty serious. I am so grateful for my good health. I had a pretty busy day yesterday went to the grocery store picked up a turkey to donate to the church food bank. I was surprised there was 112 turkeys donated so at least the people will have a nice thanksgiving. We do live in a little town and there is a lot of people who are having hard times we always try and help people out that is having a hard time. Ed ns just came out with a pancake mix not sure if it is what you use to have. Jan I would love the recipe I have never had pumpkin soup but I love any thing pumpkin. Vix good luck with the jury duty I have had it a couple of times but they always settled out. Hi Val and Jo
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Ed, I've never heard of OnDuo...is that something your insurance recommended? Nice that they are paying for it. :) Glad your numbers are good.
    Irene, you do a lot of good things for your community. I think that is good for your health too. I am always grateful for my health, even when I do have problems, I consider myself lucky they are not worse.
    I've had jury duty before. It's much easier than where I lived in NJ. Here you just have to call the night before to see if they need you. Last time I only had to go in one day for a couple of hours. In NJ I had to be there all day every day for a week, was called for a few panels and had to be a juror on a terrible case of atrocious assault.
    It's chilly today, high of 43 expected, but sunny. I'm happy as long as there's sunshine.
    We're going to meet up with friends today for a distillery tasting, and pizza (gluten free)! It'll be fun.
    Happy Saturday. Happy Weekend, everyone! 😁🦊
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! Another cool one here, with no chance of precipitation. Might do some things around the house today.

Might not. LOL. But I do plan to cook the Italian sausage links I thawed out. Probably lunch and dinner today, and maybe breakfast tomorrow too.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Had fun with friends last night. They're retiring and moving to Hawaii!!! haha...we will have someone to visit when we get around to going there. ;)
    Cloudy with a high of 44 today. No special plans. Need to catch up with some phone calls, declutter before my cleaning person comes tomorrow, and tonight remember to call to see if I have to go in for jury duty tomorrow...this is the week I have to call every evening to find out.
    I might work on some of my art projects.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. 🦊
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, vix that is how it is here now. A couple of years ago I did have to go in but it never got called but then we were told we are good for 3 years. I did have to call every night. Our weather here is cold doesn't help that I am coming down with a head cold . I was suppose to go to the dentist tomorrow but I think I will cancel it until my head cold goes away don't want them to get it. It is only for a cleaning. take care all well
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, just wanted to say hi,my cold has really hit me I am going back to bed hope you all have a great day
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    Irene-I hope you feel better soon.
    Vix-Do you have to go to jury duty? Is this civil or federal court? We only have to go for one day. The last few times I had to go I was only there for a few hours and got to go home.
    Jan-I would also like the recipe for pumpkin soup.
    Ed-Glad you numbers are good.
    Hi Val-hope you are doing well.
    I have started back to the gym. My goal is to go at least 3-4 times a week. I was a little sore yesterday, but that is to be expected.
    Today I am going to the gym, kohl's and run a few other errands.
    Have a great day! :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! Optometrist appointment today for my annual vision check. I just had my annual diabetic eye health exam recently. My doctor in Memphis combined them into one visit, but the place here wants the ophthalmologist to do the medical exam and the optometrist to do the vision check. They are billed to different insurance, so I guess that's not really unreasonable...

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Cloudy with a high of 49 today. My cleaning person is coming today. Yay!
    Ed, our insurance has gotten funny with optometrist/opthamologist visits...it didn't cover something for my husband that it usually does...he said next time he's going to an optometrist, kind of odd, but our dental insurance covers that.
    Irene, aw, hope you feel better soon. Good that you are resting.
    Jo, good for you for going back to the gym! Sounds like you have a nice day planned.
    I didn't have to go in for jury duty today. It's curcuit court. Learn something new every day. haha...I didn't realize that is federal court. They have civil and criminal cases. In Maryland there is a curcuit court in every county. I have to call every evening for the rest of the week to see if they need me. Nothing special planned for today. Doing laundry, and maybe work on some of my art projects.
    Happy new week, everyone. :)
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! I have been up for hours, but distracted by all the usual stuff.

I may get out to the grocery today if I can get past all the construction work. They have resumed sidewalk construction on our street.

• Buttons61
    Options
    Hello!
    Just some active days! Church as usual, but I went to early Sunday class and not small group. It was a nice change. I am sure I could use learning more than expressing my opinions! lol..Monday i just felt like cleaning. Flu and bronchitis going around here as well as sinus problems and asthma attacks. Crazy weather. We will be heading into the 70's this week. It extends autumn but keeps everyone sick! Jo, that is great to head for the gym again! I was called for jury duty one time ever, and it was filled before they ever got to me. Never called me in 40 some years!
    Irene, I hope you will be feeling better soon!! Colds can hit pretty hard sometimes. Hi Val!
    I dug out my recipe for pumpkin soup. I am lazy and have used canned pure pumpkin. I will try fresh one day..I am sure it would be better. I have used 1 can of pumpkin to make this. (15 oz.) One lady used 2 cans. The recipe uses about 4 cups of fresh pumpkin. It is apparently a forgiving recipe.

Pumpkin Soup

2 med. pumpkins (see above)
    2 C. chicken broth ( may sub. veg.)
    1 C. water
    1/4 C. maple syrup
    1 teas. cinnamon
    1/2 teas. nutmeg
    1/2 teas. salt
    1/2 teas. ginger
    1 C. half and half

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Cut 2 med. pumpkins in half.Scoop out seeds and fiber strings and place pumpkin skin side down on sprayed baking pan. Bake 30 to 40 minutes till soft. Slightly longer to caramelize if wanted but watch-do not burn or go too far! Cool slightly. Put flesh into processor till smooth.

Put pumpkin into saucepan with broth, water, and spices.Bring to boil, turn down and then simmer 30 min.
    Remove from heat. Then stir in half and half. Serve.

This makes about 2 large bowls or 4 smaller bowls. (based on my 1 can)
    Add toasted pumpkin seeds as garnish if desired. Also, bacon works well.
    Also adding a little orange juice to make the 1 C. water is nice, changing the taste a bit.
    Hope everyone has a good week!! :)
  • eku0
    Options
    Hi all.
    Thanks for the pumpkin soup recipe, Jan. You're always so busy!
    Ed, hope you got your shopping done.
    I went to stained glass and clay work groups today.
    Have a good night, everyone 🦊
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! It should be a pretty nice day, with no chance of precipitation. I might get a little housework done today. And cook that random package of fish that I pulled out of the freezer last night. It's either perch or catfish, but I didn't even look to see when I pulled it out. LOL. As there are a couple of largish pieces of whatever it is, it may be lunch AND dinner. We'll see I guess.