Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! I have done my walk and will feed the cats shortly. I need to stay home and available as I think a package coming today will require a signature. Not a lot on the agenda otherwise.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good afternoon;
    It seems like everyone is doing well.
    I got out of work a little early today. The store was closing at 1 and not re-opening until 5 on Friday morning, because of the protests. They boarded up all the store windows in the plaza.
    So far around here the protests have been mostly peaceful. I think this is just a precaution.
    Irene-I have a hair appt. next Thurs. I will have to wear a mask and have my temperature taken.
    Jan-I am also not ready to be out is crowds. It is bad enough with all the people coming into the store. They all wear masks, but some don't know the meaning of social distancing. :#
    Vix-enjoy your books.
    Ed-Your doughnuts look so yummy.
    Sophie had her vet visit and blood work. She is good to go for another 6 months.
    Have a great day. :)
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,369 Member
    Good morning all.
    Ed, hope you got your package yesterday.
    Jo, nice to get out early. It's a shame we have to go through these protests again, but there are things in our system that need to be fixed. I think we'll be wearing masks for a while to come. More of the businesses are opening here too. Some people do have problems with social distancing, guess they don't get it, or maybe don't care about endangering others?
    It's sad conditions right now. Glad Sophie is doing well.
    We had t-storms overnight, more expected today with a high of 81 (cooler than yesterday).
    I guess the garbage truck woke me this morning. I really wanted to sleep later!
    Have a good day everyone. Yay! It's Friday!
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic Friday! I got my package yesterday. Today I expect a crate of wine, and that is coming UPS, so I am bypassing the walk even though it is a beautiful day. I slept a little late and there would have been a slim chance of delivery before I got back home if I had walked. J is, of course home, but has taken the day off wanting to have a rest day, and is still asleep.

I hope the construction noises aren't so bad as to prevent that. They have had one really loud BANG earler, but for just one loud noise, J can usually just roll over and go back to sleep...depending on just HOW loud it is.

At any rate, I am home until the crate of wine is either delivered or re-routed.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• parityanimal
    edited June 2020
    Well, I got my wine delivery!

But not without a little difficulty...

I was out working in the garage, with the garage door open, when the UPS truck zoomed by.

Yes. It zoomed by, didn't even slow down. Shortly thereafter I got an email from UPS saying that a delivery attempt had been made and they were sorry to have missed me. Delivery would be attempted again on Monday.

No, just no...I know this is definitely a "first world problem" but no.

I called UPS and navigated my way through the voicemail to finally get a real agent to speak to, and filed a complaint, that got immediately bumped up a level. I explained that I had been out there, ready to receive my package, when the truck drove by without even slowing down and would not appreciate my wine degrading in a hot warehouse all weekend.

They said they would contact the driver with an urgent request to make another delivery attempt, if possible. They also said the driver had reported road construction as the reason, at which I reconfirmed that our driveway had not been, and was not blocked in any way and there was nothing to prevent the driver from getting here. They successfully contacted the driver and told me they would try again about 4:00 or 5:00.

Well, at 2:17, about two hours after the first "delivery attempt" that didn't happen, I saw (on the door cam) a rather unhappy and hurried looking UPS driver deposit my box on the table near the front door and practically run down the walk to get away. So much for "adult signature required" to receive alcohol.

I suspect they may have read the riot act to the driver, since I watched the truck zoom past. I imagine running back by our house put the driver a few minutes behind schedule but who's fault is that really? It wouldn't have happened if they had just delivered my package in the first place.

So...the FIRST picture is what the crate was supposed to contain. 9 bottles of red, 3 each of 3 varietals or blends, and 9 bottles of white, 3 each of 3 varietals or blends.

And the second shows what arrived. The count was right, and there were 9 bottles of red, and 9 of white.

But they made one substitution in each set. I have no problem with substitutions, in general, as long as the substitutions make sense. I understand that they may run out of a given wine.

In the red they substituted 3 bottles of Tempranillo for 3 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon, from the same winery. I love Tempranillo. I was fine with this substitution.

In the white though, they gave me 3 bottles of fairly inexpensive (but decent) Chardonnay in place of 3 bottles of Viognier Estate Reserve.

So...another "first world problem" in that the substitution on the whites did not make sense to me. It looked to me as if they had just grabbed whatever was handy, or they had the most of, and dropped it in.

As they do carry Viognier from two other wineries, either of those would have been an appropriate substitution, and they should have had some at hand.

So yes, I did contact my wine club to express my disappointment with that substitution. I don't know that I expect them to do anything about it, but they may give me a credit I can use on my next purchase. It's not a big deal if they don't.

And I thanked them for listening (well reading, anyway) to me whine about the wine.

The third and fourth pictures show the state of the crate, within moments of my emptying it.

What I was supposed to get.

dkdsgltmnruq.jpg

What actually arrived.

1fav5nkw5iqk.jpg

Feline trap working effectively.

kcnw4urwq65d.jpg

kifrsg0dlyf3.jpg
  • eku0
    Good morning all.
    Glad you got your wine delivery, Ed...lots of wine. I don't indulge much anymore, but usually keep a bottle or 2 around. Your second cat looks almost like a black squirrel in that photo!
    t-storms overnight here, partly cloudy with a high of 87 expected today.
    I can't believe how fast the time is flying by.
    I think my son and daughter-in-law are stopping by tomorrow. It'll be nice to see them. Just some routine things to do today, and will see what the day brings.
    Happy weekend, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! It's warm and sunny out there and will be rather hot later this afternoon. Maybe I can get a nap today. I missed the last two days because of needing to stay available for deliveries.

I do need to get some laundry done today. I sent my primary ballot in a couple of days ago, and J's is going out in today's mail.

• Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Good morning!!
    Really sticky out so I will do housework, hopefully! We had a real gully washer thunderstorm last night! I had 6.4 inches rain in my gauge this am. Everything a little bedraggled, but faired well. I have a lizard in the house..but so far can not catch him...

I made some turkey legs in the pressure cooker the other day. I saved the stock which was wonderful and added some mixed vegetables and some asparagus stalks to it and slow cooked it. I think I will add either a little rice or maybe a few dumplings when I eat it. Not summer fare, but comforting. And the A/C is on!! :#

Ed, your wine selections still look good. And of course the box is the best bonus for the kitties!! What a hassle with UPS! KInd of weird behavior, too.

Vix, glad you get to see your family!! :) Hi Irene and Jo!!
    Everyone stay safe and try to stay sane!! <3

• parityanimal
    Buttons61 wrote: »

Ed, your wine selections still look good. And of course the box is the best bonus for the kitties!! What a hassle with UPS! KInd of weird behavior, too.

They will make up any excuse to NOT have to move a 50 pound box up our short (but rather steep) driveway. But you know, it's what they agreed to do when they accepted the job so they need to just suck it up and do what they are being paid to do, in my opinion.

If the driver had stopped on the first time past, I would have been glad to meet them at the bottom of the driveway with my hand truck, and even if I didn't, they would only have had to bring it to the top of the driveway, as I was out there in the garage, with the garage door open.

But no...when it came back, I didn't even know it was here untl I saw the driver placing it on the table by the front door, so it had to be moved all the way up the driveway AND then around to the front door. I had planned to be out in the garage at the stated time, (4 to 5) they had said they would be back around, but they came early. I appreciated it that they came early on the second pass, but they just made more work for themselves all around.

But at least I got my wine. And I have to say UPS is better about actually getting the driver to come back around than FedEx. FedEx just says you have to wait, if you call, though I HAVE had drivers swing by again, if I am almost on the way back to the FedEx, which isn't terribly far.

The UPS depot isn't terribly far either. I could walk to either one of them, but sure couldn't carry a 50 pound box back home!

• parityanimal
    Dinner for Saturday night, with another plate left over for tomorrow.

xacczbwpx7di.png

re7crtyngw97.png
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,162 Member
    good Sunday morning,Ed sorry you had problem with your delivery glad it all worked out. Yesterday we were in the pool it was so nice we probably do the same thing today. Poor Annie is not feeling good i think her back paws are hurting her she doesn't want to walk far which is so unlike her ,tomorrow i have a vet appt to see whats going on and if i can give her something for the pain.take care everyone
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! I have done my walk, and Fitbit claims 4.5 miles so far, including incidental walking about in the house. I will be feeding the cats shortly. My Sunday dinner is ready to heat and eat, as it's left over from last night.

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Sunny with a high of 80 expected today. May have a visit from my son and his wife. That'll be nice. Haven't seen them since Mother's Day.
    Jan, do you know what kind of lizard it is? How big? We had some big t-storms here too, but I don't think as bad as the south. Thank goodness for AC!
    Ed, glad you got your wine delivery. Great that you're getting your walks in.
    Irene, hope Annie is ok. Enjoy your pool.
    Hi Jo.
    I thought this was fun:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-52913521/david-zinn-street-art-that-washes-away-in-the-rain
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good morning;
    Vix-that street art is amazing. It is too bad that it washes away.
    Enjoy your visit with your son and his wife.
    Ed-sorry you had a hassle getting your wine.
    Irene-I hope Annie is ok. I could have used a pool yesterday. It was extremely humid.
    It is cloudy and cool today with no humidity, only a high of 62 expected.
    Jan-I hope you catch the lizard soon, or maybe you can have a new pet. :p
    I am making steel cut oatmeal in the crockpot. It will be my breakfast for the week.
    Starting on Monday retail stores can start opening and restaurant's with outdoor seating.
    Also patients in the hospital can now have one visitor at a time. We are slowly making progress toward the new normal(as it is being called.)
    Have a great day!

• IreneMurman
    good Monday morning, we spend more time in the pool,we are actually starting to get a little tan . Today I am taking Annie to the vet I don't think she is feeling very well on her walks she sits down so i am not sure if its her hip or back paw hoping to get some answers take care every one
  • eku0
    Good morning all.
    I'm glad we had great weather yesterday for our patio visit. It was great spending some time with family.
    Is that normal weather for this time of year, Jo? We're into summer weather here now. About 80 yesterday and today, then 90s for the next 2 days, then into the 80s again. I enjoy the street art too...wish I was talented enough to do that!
    Irene, I hope Annie is ok. Nice that you're enjoying your pool.
    Ed and Jan, are you getting hit by the storms down there? Hope you both stay safe.
    Sunny today, that's nice.
    Things are opening up here too. Our library is starting scheduled pickups today...I have to fill out a form and they will put my books in a paper bag and schedule a time for me to pick them up in the library lobby. I'm pretty happy about that. Glad that I had a stash of unread books at home to tide me over. ;)
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! No walk today, as I made an early run to Kroger to beat the hordes. Funny how my short (very short) list turned into a buggy full at $160 and change. But I got some things that weren't on the list YET but would certainly have been on the next one, and one or two indulgences, as well as stocking up on things to make quick lunches for J as many days seem to be conference call after conference call, with only a short time for lunch. J has never really learned the art of eating while on the phone, even if the others can't see. I learned that art myself many years ago, as I had days with NO time at all for lunch and barely time to grab something I could eat while on the calls.

No storms here as yet, but the skies are dark. That was one reason I went on to Kroger this morning rather than walk. I don't recall the weather calling for a great chance of rain today, but that could have changed since the last time I looked.

I need to still get out to PetSmart for cat supplies for the month and then we are all set except for getting Lilo's next bag of fluid from the vet, which I will call about today and request.

• IreneMurman
    good morning, Annie had a heart attack and died yesterday
  • eku0
    Irene, I'm so sorry. Hugs.

It's going to be hot, humid, and mostly sunny today. A high expected of 92, and an air quality alert is in effect. Stay safe everyone.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

The nights haven't been getting all that cool, so I guess Summer is really upon us. I got my walk in this morning, made and ate breakfast, and am having my tea now. Powerade is still to come, after the tea. I might do laundry today, despite the heat and humidity.

Hopefully the work crew out there can finish whatever noisiness they are up to this morning in time for me to try to get a nap in. We are expecting rain this evening.

Irene, I am so sorry for your loss. It never gets easier.