What do we want to acheive today?

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,123 Member
    Options
    I took the Harley for a nice ride today too. Many other bikes observed… perhaps spring has arrived after all?
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    cleaning, cleaning, cleaning
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes...the harbinger of spring...the motorcycles are in bloom.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    Yes...the harbinger of spring...the motorcycles are in bloom.

This is the most dangerous time of year for us because those who drive cars aren't expecting motorcycles on the roads... I usually take it very easy for the first month to make sure my "staying alive" skills are intact.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Please keep those skills on point. I went to the gym and ran two miles (walked two), I have been very lazy lately.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's risky. Roads are cold so tires don't adhere, sand on the roads, car drivers are at their worst. But still, two wheel therapy!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Just be careful you guys!

Hubby's undergoing tests this week so we're pretty busy but I'm determined not to miss my gym days and running with the dog. I need
    that time alone to work on myself and get my thoughts in order. Sooooooooo, my goal for today is get to the gym and do my thing and
    come home strong and ready to face the world..... ;)
  • UncleMac
    Options
    luluinca, recognizing and acting on that need for self-care isn't as easy as writing it. That's an ongoing struggle for me. Part of the reason for hiring a personal trainer was that I knew if I had an appointment scheduled, I would show up... whereas if a workout is at my convenience, the odds are good that some convenient excuse will arrive...
  • luluinca
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    luluinca, recognizing and acting on that need for self-care isn't as easy as writing it. That's an ongoing struggle for me. Part of the reason for hiring a personal trainer was that I knew if I had an appointment scheduled, I would show up... whereas if a workout is at my convenience, the odds are good that some convenient excuse will arrive...

It's become a habit for me but I'm very aware how easy it is to back slide..........uggghhhh. I had a trainer my first two years back at the gym. I just spoke with one of the guys Monday
    to tell him I might sign up with him for a 5 week session this summer. You're right, it really does help to keep the commitment going. I'm also looking for some guidance on where to go from
    here. I'd still like to build some more strength and muscle and kind of feel like I'm just maintaining both right now.

Honestly though, I'm in love with "GYM" so I think I can keep it up no matter what happens, but we'll see!!!
  • marekdds
    Options
    I wish I could love gym. I really hate exercise. The only thing I tolerate w/o whining is walking. If I wouldn't get fat again, all my exercise would be cooking/baking. I did my 3 mile walk today. Beautiful outside!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    For me, yoga is the draw. I know myself well enough to recognize lifting does good for my body type and mindset so I persist. For example, I've rarely done team sports. I'm too much of an introvert to take pleasure from such.

Still, the gym remains a "mind over matter" exercise. I don't get feel the draw to the iron yet... I keep hoping...

I used to like walking when I had a dog, Jen... Alone, it isn't as much fun.
  • luluinca
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    I wish I could love gym. I really hate exercise. The only thing I tolerate w/o whining is walking. If I wouldn't get fat again, all my exercise would be cooking/baking. I did my 3 mile walk today. Beautiful outside!

It's so interesting how different we all are. I grew up doing all sorts of sports and outdoor activities so maybe that's where my love came from, and my dad was very athletic.

But there's not a thing wrong with just walking for exercise IMO. Although, now we do know the benefits of a bit of strength training, even for women.....LOL
  • UncleMac
    Options
    My mother is sedentary and is now Type II diabetic as a result of obesity... although she claims it is as a result of having "big babies" (I guess that would be me) and not her girth.

My father was always active but not athletic. As a commercial fisherman, he worked hard, on season and off season. Since he retired, he still gets in his own firewood, does a veggie garden, yardwork, etc etc etc...

So I don't really have good family examples of recreational athletics. That's not going to stop me tho!!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I had to make exercise part of my life in a more serious manner after my heart attack two years ago. I had very little lifestyle issues to change, only more exercise and less stress, so I retired from the fire chief job and hit the gym. I got bored with constant cardio, and decided to get serious on 'picking things up and putting them down'. It will be two years of powerlifting in September. I enjoy it, and the wifey likes the results. The weight on the bar keeps going up, and I'm stronger than at any time in my life. Good place to be with the big 6-0 a couple weeks away.
  • luluinca
    Options
    BTW, I got my gym day in and it's a good thing too because now I have a busy day at work tomorrow that can't include it....back again on Friday though. The dog's going to have to wait until Sat for her run!

It's interesting reading the challenges and progressions we all had getting to this point. An illness was just the thing to get me back into a regular exercise routine. I got my husband all worked up too and he dropped some weight and got stronger. Unfortunately, it didn't really last for him, although he still works as hard as he can here, when he can.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Neither of my parents were athletic, though my dad was very active, career Army and was always thin. But Southern ladies weren't supposed to sweat, so I wasn't encouraged to be active. I sure was encouraged to learn how to cook, lol. Sometimes this feels like so much hard work and there are so many other things I'd rather be doing. I did do 3 miles and some weights today.
  • luluinca
    Options
    ^^^I grew up in CA......swimming, surfing, skiing, playing field hockey and baseball.....not that I was very good at any of them except maybe swimming....lol

But hey....you got your 3 miles in whether you felt like it or not.....that's called determination !!!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My siblings did several high school sports each and one did crew in college that he still does religiously via a community sponsored organization. I have had to learn "activity" as an adult . . . . still "learning."
  • luluinca
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    My siblings did several high school sports each and one did crew in college that he still does religiously via a community sponsored organization. I have had to learn "activity" as an adult . . . . still "learning."

It's never too late to learn!

Goal today is just to get to the gym again. I always feel so much better on gym days! B)
  • marekdds
    Options
    My goal is to not binge tonight. Last night was awful. Personal issues that overeating doesn't help, but I did anyway. At least, unlike the past, I went for a jog, to cancel the overage, if not the negative "nutrition". Chocolate is good for you, right?