plant food dicussion topic

Options
CALIECAT
CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
I am opening this up so we can discuss veggies, post recipes, ,, ask questions & answer questions .I am really new at this plant food and needs lots of help. Want to thank Lin, Anne, Phoebe, Jackie for being here to help us all

I just had my first fresh peach for a snack and was disappointed. It. Tasked Woody for lack of a better word It was juicy but had. A woodsy taste , no Phoebe it was not from Ga. thank https://www.facebook.com/# I only bought 3 of them need to go to the peach farm down high way 80 in Terrell
My lentil chilii is for dinner simmering on the stove.Fixing to go get a bid to see if it needs anything else added to it. I go but taste if I like it is good to go. if not needs to see what it need

-Marie

Post me some easy recipe

Replies

• CALIECAT
    Options
    I don't know where thar link came dorm but I click on it and it was my grandson and our little Kylee" Looks like they were in canton at the One of the flea market around here. Did you all get the link? This is the first time that has happen. To me Mi am on my IPad

Marie
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi Marie, here's a soup to start you off. Good in Fall and easy to make.

Chunky vegetable-bean soup -151 calories per serving. 9 gram protein

1 large onion chopped
    1 large potato, peeled and cubed
    4 cups chicken broth (stock cubes, can be veggie stock cubes)
    2 stalks celery
    1/4 lb green beans, cut in 1-inch/2.5 cm pieces
    1/4 small cabbage, thinly sliced and/or 1/2 package spinach, coarsely sliced
    1 carrot
    1/4 cup chopped sweet pepper
    1 tsp dried dill weed
    1 can (19 oz/540 ml) kidney beans, drained
    Salt, cayenne and freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese - optional

In large heavy saucepan combine onion, potato and stock; bring to a boil
    Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Add celery, green beans, cabbage and/or spinach, carrot, sweet pepper, dill weed and kidney beans, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Season with salt, cayenne and pepper to taste. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese if using.

Makes 8 servings - 3/4 cup/175 ml each
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Anne pounds good ,now I know where to find it . Really won't be to long for soup weather. However I can eat it any time.

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Hi Marie, thanks for starting up this "conversation" as I'm always looking for veggie recipes. Here's the link to the veggie bean burgers
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/veggie_bean_burgers_for_53280

When I come upon more recipes that might be of interest I'll post them here.

Jackie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Jackie for the web site and the bean recipes it has lots of if information on it I will be checkling it out more. I made my lentil chilli yesterday I was kind of shock it did not taste more like real. Chili with beef but the more I ate the better it taste . I got 8 servings in. My freezer.. It has a taste of it own. I may be asking you lots of question about the foods For lunch I will. Be having a salad with black beans and corn with. Salsa

Thanks again
    Marie

• pinkperil
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Marie ~In my experience chilli tastes much better 2nd and 3rd time around so I'm sure you'll be loving those portions in the freezer by the time you get to No.8!! Yes, that website is full of information isn't it and one I also plan to delve into a lot more.

Jackie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Jackie I am so glad there are a lot of us getting more veggies in. We all need too. Off to read some more on that site.
    Marie

• CALIECAT
    Options
    my version of the bean burger I just made it out of what I had on hand

My goal is to try out more vegan recipes I had a good one tonight I made a vegan hamburger Pattie. . and it was amazing good. Had a good flavor but needed to be a little firmer for a burger so maybe my next one a mix of flax seeds and water and let its sit for awhile I read that that makes an egg replacement or add some almond flour .to firm it up some. So far I used 1can of fat free refried beans , 1can of sweet potatoes rinse and drained

1 small can of chopped chili peppers Rinsed & Drained , 1t of garlic powder I just mash the sweet potatoes up with the chili peppers fat free refried beans oh and chopped green onions would really make a couple nice tostadas' for lunch tomorrow with one of those mini avocado plus a salad yes this plan is getting interesting. For me I love Mexican food. Baked it for 30 minutes you see I am just a dumper like Lin is.

see you tomorrow
    marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I found this interesting site
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/recipe-index

Marie
  • pinkperil
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Marie ~ You are definitely getting my appetite going and leaning towards more veggie dishes so thank you! I've been trying to view the fatfreevegan blog but my computer keeps sending it to a blank page which is frustrating because it gives me a glimpse before it disappears and it looks so interesting. Will try again later.
    Jackie
  • Jacean245
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MARIE, thanks for the site. I will be sure to try some of the recipes. For instance the Homemade Lentil Soup. The Shepherds Pie looks like a recipe I use and I will try the thanksgiving meatless loaf. Many people can't imagine food without meat, but some recipes are really tasty and quite easy to make. Here's another soup I like. It looks daunting but actually it's really easy.

CREAMY CAULIFLOWER SOUP
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion coarsely chopped
    6 - 8 scallions coarsely chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 medium cauliflowers, cored and coarsely chopped
    Half teaspoon, salt
    Half teaspoon curry powder (optional)
    One eighth teaspoon black pepper
    Half teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried savoury or marjoram
    6 cups water
    1 packet chicken stock in 1 cup boiling water

In a heavy soup kettle melt butter
    Add oil
    Add onion, scallions and garlic
    Add celery and cauliflower
    Add seasonings

Mix well and cook, uncovered, over medium heat for several minutes, stirring frequently

Add water and stock

Bring to boil

Simmer covered over medium heat for 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
    Remove cover and cool slightly.

Purée a small amount at a time in blender until smooth and creamy.

Reheat, adding fresh ground nutmeg if desired.

SERVES 4
  • CALIECAT
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Jackie try this one.
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

I check this out and it took me to the right place the other one just took me to a blank page too. Dumb me

Thanks Anne sounds good Will be making it as soon as the weather get cooler So many good recipes But for now going to have a Mexican lunch of tastadas with my pinto beans spread . I made yesterday / Will try to get a picture wont be a fancy as Bob's photo
    y the way I did end him a Pm but he never did answer me.
    __Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Anne meals so far today
    Breakfast"..... Oatmeal wit small amount of raisin. Coffee with creamer

Lunch...........2toastdas with my pinto and sweet potatato
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I see bush's beans has a meal in a minute deal now but I have not located them at Wal-Mart to check them out

marie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Anne ~ That's a perfect cauliflower soup recipe for me because we're growing all the ingredients at the allotment apart from spices and herbs. I'll come back to it in the Autumn so long as my brain keeps up!!

Marie ~ Thanks for the link, working fine for me now.
    Jackie
  • Jacean245
    Options
    Hi JACKIE, there seems to be a daunting amount of ingredients in the cauliflower soup, but it's really easy to make, is a good way to get rid of cauliflowers on the brink, and good for lunch with crusty warm bread, and lotsa butter of course, which sort of defeats the purpose of us getting lovely and sylphlike! What the heck! Life's for living ain't it. Anne
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Anne ~ There's no other way to eat warm bread and just occasionally we have to treat ourselves!

Jackie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Sorry I have not been around today
    Anne I do not care for Chinese food have never even been see to a Chinese restaurant? I am thinking of going for Italian food next week . I have really given this Mexican a fit this week. Ihave begun to watch my sugar intake now Got to read the labels better I read this morning that if you cut real sugar and gluten out it would help you lose weight. I am on gluten free already so just got to be sure. I read labels sleep you guys later
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have added no sugar to my eating plan. Just the refine not the natural sugar in fruits. etc.

found out Banana and refried beans are pretty good mash together and spread on tostadaas
    marie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Oh Marie, you reminded me of my favourite treat as a kid..... banana sandwich on white bread with a big dollop of real butter. Rationing was still on when I was very young but once bananas and oranges appeared I was in heaven!!
    Anne will remember that too....
    Jackie