The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I tried to update my resume several years ago and it was hard. I couldn't get it shorter than 2 pages if I wanted to include my current work experience and skills and previous jobs. I gave up and just stayed in the school district since I knew I would get less pay if I left. I thought it would be good to be updated when we came here in case I needed to apply for a job.

Cool today and we just had a hail storm. Small hail luckily. I worked out this morning and am feeling the effects on my muscles. I walked Charlie this afternoon and that was slow for me. I came home and iced my knee. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the neighbors walk tonight and invite him. With me, he will only get to go outside to pee.

I invited the kids to my Facebook Room tonight to chat. We'll see if they can figure it out and join at the right time. Most of us are in different time zones so it will be interesting to see what happens. If it works, you and I should try it sometime and talk face to face if you are interested.

I tried to watch the debate last night and lasted a couple of minutes and switched to Apollo 13. I went back after debate was over to hear what the analysts had to say. It was awful. I won't be watching the next two.

Well I'm going to read until it is time to see who shows up in my FB room.

Have a nice night and day tomorrow.
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can do one page unless I only do the bigger descriptions on the on this job. I feel like two pages is pretty common as it seems resumes have moved to having more vernacular on them and if you have been out of school for any length of time. In the beginning even filling one page was hard! I should probably try one of the 'creative' formats I see to make it more appealing the younger who are generally the ones doing culling and selection, but I am pretty set in my ways. We'll see, it will be a win if I just get the basics updated.

Hope you had a great visit with your boys.

P-T conferences today. Caleb is worried because he isn't gelling with his Pre-Calc teacher and thinks she is going to tell us he is bad student, because he had a low test last week and she has been snappy with him. I would hope not. First of all, I know who she is and I would hope she is better than that. But I have been let down by the education system many times before. It is rare for Caleb to not be a teacher's favorite. He is super smart, kind, hard working and just a good kid. But it has happened before. Sometimes personalities don't mesh and that's the pits because it can mean they will never be to get together and help him get over the slump he is in with whatever the learning issue is. I remember asking one of his middle school teachers for help because C was struggling with Spanish and was looking for ideas to help. And she just lashed out that he was just talking too much and just needed to be quiet and focus more. I was stunned. So were his other teachers when I reached out to them to let them know I had been made aware that Caleb was being disruptive in 'hers' and they should let me know if I needed to get on him about bad behavior. They let me know in no uncertain terms he was amazing in their classes. Not to say he couldn't be acting out in one class. But I believe she decided I was somehow blaming her for his difficulties (wasn't at that point, but I did after the lashing). I don't like when he feels that way. He is a kid who does all the things we preach at them to do. Work everyday. Ask questions. Go see the teacher. Get with other kids. He does that. But this one is getting peeved at him for asking questions. Guess what? He's supposed to! Sigh. Plus, she had Zach and Zach had motivation and follow through issues. But, Caleb is not Zach. Fingers crossed it's just an early blip. This year is a big and tough year. AP Psych is super hard according to Caleb. He said he is concerned about several of his class who are failing. He's like, they are really smart. I guess the teacher made the class even harder to deal with potentially going online. ??? Perfect. (Sarcasm)
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are bad teachers out there with bad attitudes. Pulling a paycheck, possibly burned out, and don't like the kids. Maybe she is insecure and if he asking questions it makes her nervous that she may not be able to answer them. I've always told my boys when they got bad teachers or those they didn't mesh with that it was "preparation for real life in the working world. There will always be bosses you don't mesh with or respect due to their incompetence but do your best work and make an effort to get along or stay under the radar". As long as he knows he's doing his best he should be proud of himself. I had a horrible math teacher in high school. He couldn't teach those of us that struggled in that area but excelled with the kids that caught on fast or could do it on their own. I paired up with a classmate that understood the material and she tutored me through my geometry assignments. Maybe a classmate would be helpful who is getting the material and can answer his questions? Study together...

Chilly here today. I turned the heat up and am bundled up. When I walked Charlie I wore my waterproof fleece lined coat and a winter hat. It's raining but strange out. At our house it is raining but when we went to bottom of long driveway to road it wasn't raining on our walk. When we got back to the house it was still raining on the higher ground.

We did the Facebook Room with the kids last night. It was slick and a great way to see face to face without time limits or cost. They all figured it out and joined on short notice. It was great to see them. We chatted for about 1.5 hours. Jeff and Karah signed a lease on a new apartment in a northern suburb of Atlanta. The town online looks southern and cute. Their apartment will be on a river and the place has kayaks to use. It sounds like they will have more space and their balcony will be screened in which is nice for their cat. Rory is in a wedding for two high school friends that are marrying each other. He will head down to Rochester MN tomorrow for the wedding. I'm weary of the COVID exposure but the bride is a nurse at Mayo so I hope she has some restrictions set up for the group. David and Chantrelle have entered their third trimester of pregnancy. David seems nervous to be a Dad which is normal. Chantrelle seems fine and looks great. They are doing some work on their house before the baby comes. Sounds like she has a honey do list of several things and he was joking about that. Jeff arrives next Wednesday or Thursday for a long weekend. It will be fun to have him back for a visit and to help me with a few things.

Steve, brother, is still painting and prepping. He is meticulous! I won't be rolling walls for awhile and probably not until Jeff leaves.

So happy Russ' stitches come out tomorrow. Early appointment so we will have to get moving in the morning.

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    how fun you got to enjoy a good virtual visit with your guys! It's quite a change for your David to become parents. I'd say worry will just become part of his normal life now. Of course, that's just based on me, but I've always been a worrier. And a visit to look forward to in a few days. Yay.

How wonderful to have family (and so many friends) to be so helpful.

The stitches coming out will be a relief I'm sure. Just another good marker on the healing road.

Bernie did conferences this year (only one allowed). He wanted to since he hasn't gone in years. Sounds like he had a good visit with the math teacher. Bernie has a way about him with the general population. Everyone tends to love him. So he was likely the best choice for the meetings. We'll see how things go for Caleb on return. Bernie believes that by talking about his engineering aspirations she suddenly got excited about making sure he 'gets what he needs.' I'm glad, but a bit annoyed in my brain. Teachers should want that anyway. Anyway... the history teacher pissed the B off though. I was wondering if he would have something poor to say because he is also a football coach and Caleb didn't go back this year. (I'm sorry I refuse to say quit, because he completed each season he started, in my opinion not starting the next season is not quitting). While you might think a dad who played college football would be livid that his kid gave up the grid iron, Bernie actually doesn't care. I'm guessing because he felt pressure to do something that was killing him physically. He always said he wasn't going to put any pressure on them. (I wish he would have been a little more supportive, but at least he wasn't the other way crazy). But I think the history teacher may have thrown a little shade and Bernie may have gotten in his business. Soooooo.... we'll see how that plays out.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    adjusting to the mask at work. Still pissed off about it. I especially hate how it creates another layer of 'us' and 'them' with office and manufacturing. The wording is stated so that it is 'highly recommended' (not required) but management has made it clear office needs to do it or else. But of course production is not. They've been without this whole time, they are not starting now when it is optional. But then office people are walking around in masks because we can't breathe the same air they do. That's what it looks like.

They have also been getting ready to re-do the front door and reception area. So there have been hundreds of cubicle walls getting moved, desks shuffled, people shuffled. It's such a mess. So far my desk has stayed put, but our area has shrunk. And no one will say if I will have to move at some point. I hate that. The unknown, plus people who getting huge areas and ours shrinks. Plus the noise! So much noise. And the actual construction hasn't even started yet. Hate.

But - TGIF.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Can you wear ear plugs or noise canceling head phones at work or do you need to talk on phone and talk to others as part of your work? I don't understand why people in production don't have to wear masks. That's crazy.

I'm glad Bernie went to conferences and talked to the teachers. Good for him!

Russ had his doctor appt this morning. They took off his cast and could see dead tissue around his stitches. They had to remove the tissue, stitches and staples. He's now on an antibiotic due to prevent infection due to him having diabetes. He has another fiberglass cast on that will stay on for two weeks. They want to see his incision site in two weeks. He may get a velcro removable cast at that time, fingers crossed! He's not feeling well right now because his foot hurts due to all they did with it today.

I dropped off my ballot today. I bought pumpkin donuts and apple cider for us and my sister. Two cousins, myself, my niece and baby went to my oldest sister's house this afternoon. She wanted the donuts and cider to offer everyone. It was nice to get out of the house and be with women.

It's cool here today. I don't think it got past 50 and maybe lower. Frost warning tonight. Tomorrow I'm working on unpacking more boxes and moving things around in the pole barn so Russ' truck can be parked in there when the snow flies. Our new snowblower arrived and I need to put that away too.

Well watching the news. I'm under a blanket because I feel chilled. Today I wore my Fall/Winter clothes.

TGIF!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Well, the B is off getting tested for the 'rona. He had what would be termed a close contact - cleaning up after someone who was potentially ill and felt a bit ill this morning. Sigh. I may be gripping about everything at work, but I am not hopefuly for this to be my 'two week vacation'. It's a terrible time to be gone with almost fiscal year end and I HATE the thought of the C kid having to miss school too.

Here's to hoping for strep
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    It's the 'vid. Blast it. Not the two weeks off any of us want.

And Michele is stuck in Florida with a co-worker who tested positive. Neither of us in the office for awhile. It's going to get messy. There's a lot we can't do from offsite.

Shenanigan's and drama here we come.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Shouldn't you, Z and Bernie get tested too? I hope C is ok. Do you have to quarantine from work for 2 weeks? Sorry you are going through this in your family.

Rainy week! Every day has been wet and cold. Today I wore myself out cleaning up garage and pole barn. Tossing, sweeping, breaking down boxes, recycling, etc. I laid a couple of more mouse traps in garage. I caught one in pole barn on a sticky trap. I didn't pick it up but should do so soon. After I worked on that chore, I soaked in a hot tub with Epsom Salts for an hour. I was so tired and sore I could barely walk. These dam knees!

Monday I'm going to make calls to dentists and doctors and see who is taking patients and can answer my questions. I need an appointment with both soon. I have no idea where I get a mammogram around here either and I'm due for that too.

Jeff is coming up for a long weekend. I hope he comes up Wednesday because he is leaving Sunday. He will help me with some stuff and then do whatever he would like to do while visiting.

Well watching Hallmark once again. Feels good to relax.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    It's actually Bernie who has tested postive. No way to tell for sure where he 'caught' it, but as Incident Commander at work and he did do a clean up this week. It's possible there. Of course, it goes to show how little masks work if that is the case, since they have worn masks at his work since the beginning and he is a germ-a-phobe. Ah well. So far, he is just a little punky with a sore throat. The doc says we don't test unless we show symptoms. We have to all stay home anyway. I almost wish we were all positive so we don't have to worry about this again.

I will have to cancel a dentist I should have had monday. It will take me at least four months to get it re-scheduled. It's insane how hard it is to get in.

I'm worried about Caleb missing school. Just so hard to do especially in the classes he is having some issues already, he won't get to do the extra talking to teachers.

I tried doing one of my major Monday reports and reviewing it here at home today to see how it will go, it SUCKS. I run two screens at work and this little laptop and no printer to print out. Ugh. I am a bit freaked out to have to do my normal Monday work crush with about 20 percent of my normal capacity.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    So you are working from home and don't get any time off for this? How will you manage that if you don't have two screens or a printer? Good luck!

Russ and I took a drive looking for Fall color this afternoon. It isn't even close to peak color yet but there were some pretty trees. We picked up a pizza and ate an early dinner.

I work out tomorrow morning. It will be tough since I haven't worked out other than walking since last Wednesday.

Sorry about Bernie. Don't you think you probably have it or will soon? Maybe asymptomatic? Stay as well as you can under the circumstances.

I'm tired and not much to say tonight.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Workout was tough but felt good afterwards this morning. My sister came over as soon as I got home so sweat dried in my hair and on my body. Finally took a shower at 2pm. Charlie and I went for a walk to the cornfield and back and was so windy. I'm sweating again after the effort of the walk and pushing the garbage can back up the driveway. It's an incline until the circle so it is an effort for my knees at the end of a walk.

I'm going to roast a chicken with potatoes, carrots and onions again tonight. It's a nice comfort meal and tastes so good. The left chicken is nice for sandwiches and anything else I can come up with.

I hope work is going ok for you at home. How do C and Bernie feel?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Caleb and I are starting feel cruddy - so I filled out the test nebraska thing and we go tomorrow to get our test. It probably is. So far both me and Caleb are just feeling yucky. Sore throat, tight chest and cough. Tired. You know, sick. Bernie seems the same. This is probably for the best. We all get it and then have the antibodies and hopefully that's it. We don't want to have to get into the cycle of having to quarantine every few weeks because someone else has it.

I'm still trying to do some work, but taking breaks.

The school put out their information that they are staying 'yellow' for the next two weeks even though the county is very near the 'red.' Mmmmm - okay. Whatever CPS.

Caleb said his work is getting low on people too because of ones that have to stay out because of family members sick. I just hope that when he does go back they don't try to/have to hammer him with hours because of the cycle of people having to be out. Sigh. Everything has to be so hard.

I hope Russ is continuing to heal.

If you don't hear from me I may just not feel like typing, I hope you keep posting because I enjoy having something to read.

We're gonna be fine, just peeved to have done the right things - only went to work and school and the store once a week - and little to help the folks. Watching everyone posting their bar trips, pumpkin patch excursions. games, camping etc. That's what pisses me off. Ah well. Hopefully we'll be stronger for it.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I'm sorry you are all sick. I hope you get through it fairly easily and quickly without complications. Is it proven that after you have it you can't get it again? I'm confused with the whole issue. What is wrong with people?
    Jeff arrives tomorrow night. I went to the grocery and Costco this morning. We are stocked for awhile with meal options. Other than milk, eggs, deli meat I shouldn't have to go for awhile. It is suppose to be a nice weekend so we should be able to see some fantastic color and get some winter prep done. Our sprinkler system was blown out this morning so another thing off the list. Patio furniture will be put away by end of weekend and next week I will mow lawn for last time. Then I will schedule the window washer for one more time until spring. The windows are still dirty due to all the bugs and dust flying around when we didn't get rain.
    My brother is still working on the basement room. He finally finished painting the baseboards and will do more repair on walls before painting tomorrow. He is VERY particular. It will be 2 weeks since we started on Thursday and we still haven't painted walls.
    Russ is doing much better. He's starting to do more for himself which is nice for me.
    Well feel better soon! I'll keep posting when I have something to say.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I worked out this morning and can tell I'm getting stronger. I can hold heavier weights than the first week, get off the floor a little more gracefully, and endure 3 rounds of each exercise group. Jeff comes tonight so I won't work out on Friday.

I took Russ to get a hair cut and then drove him down a road that always has phenomenal color this time of year. We stopped at a farm market and bought their home made sour dough, ham and cheese croissants, and some blueberry and cherry croissants. Their bread products are amazing.

I called a dentist I was interested in but they don't use the nitrous oxide for fillings or anything else. Russ has dentist anxiety and hates going so he always asks for the gas in addition to the novacaine. So I have a couple of others to look into. I really want my dentist to do one appointment crowns, etc. There are two that do, I just have to decide and call and ask about the gas. I have a tooth ache and am due for a cleaning, so an appointment needs to happen sooner than later.

I am tired today. I cleaned the guest room and made the bed for Jeff. I wiped down the guest bathroom tub, sink, toilet and floor and put out towels for him. Then I dusted and vacuumed everything except our bedroom. Didn't take long but I'm still tired. Done for the day except making dinner for Russ and I. I have a Costco deli dinner of Italian Spinach and Ricotta Canneloni's to bake.

I hope you are not feeling too bad and the same for C and Bernie. Let me know how you are doing when you are up to it.

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    Wow - you are a cleaning machine! The italian bake sounds good, how was it?

Caleb and I are feeling a bit better today already. I'm still tired and I have a little bit of that feeling that I need to cough but I feel a lot better. I honestly couldn't give you a good update about Bernie, except I know he is eating because the food I put on his 'table' (a table in front of his door) disappears everything I put something there. He very rarely answers me when I text him, but I can hear him on the phone in his room and the tone of his voice sounds better. So I am guessing that just like me and the C he is improving. Caleb and I had our tests today. Quite the experience. I'd say they need to scrape your brain to get the sample for how deep they go and a LONG 8 seconds. Bleh. Could take up to three days since I didn't do rapid, but honestly I hope it was positive and then we are done - at least for awhile. I don't know if that's true, but could be.

My office sent out a Viewpoint (that's what they call 'official' communications) that they decided to shut down the Columbus office for the next two days to have a company come in and sanitize. HA! Like that's going to stop the numbers. Where do you suppose all those folks who just got a four day weekend are going to go? The bar, the lake, shopping, etc. Pfffttt. I predict a bigger surge in a week. My sister is still stuck in Florida trying to get home. The one guy who got sick (he is better) is refusing to fly because he thinks he would infect the plane (it's been over 10 days since he was sick). And there is apparently not a rental car to be found in the Sarasota because a hurricane is coming. Good freakin' grief. That girl is gonna have to walk home. Maybe they'll pull their heads out their hiney and just buy a vehicle - they always need new company cars anyway. Even so, she will have to drive the 24 hours - herself since sick boy is I guess too puny yet.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Well I hope you are positive too and it just gets better and you can be done. However, they say there can be long term damage even in mild cases of heart, etc. Make sure to see your doctor in a few months if you can if you test positive.

Well at least they are going to thoroughly clean your space. When will people return to work?

Jeff is here. He put all the deck furniture away today. We went on a drive to see color and stopped at a cider place to drink alcoholic cider sitting outside at a picnic table. It felt cold with the wind and temps in the low 50's. Tomorrow is suppose to be 70's, hopefully.

Tonight we are turning on the fireplace, eating Costco Chicken Pot Pie, and we bought an apple caramel walnut pie for dessert. Tomorrow Jeff and my brother will bring stuff in to the house that I need from pole barn. I'll be glad when Russ is done with his casts and can walk again. It is so inconvenient for all we needed to accomplish this Fall. Oh well...

Well continue to feel better!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Yay for kid time for you!

I am still feeling yucky - I think it's settling into my sinuses - my head is super full and feels like a sinus infection right now - it's just the pits being sick - even if it is 'normal' sick. Unlike Bernie who just stays in his room and rests (like he's supposed to I know), someone has to keep food cycling through. No sick days for mom. I told Caleb today I wasn't cooking - there is plenty of leftovers and Caleb can cook for himself if there is something different he wants. I really want some ice cream but I never keep any on hand, it's too tempting when it's readily available.

It's 90 degrees today. A/c running a lot.

My sister is making her way back to Nebraska in a car. They got past the hurricane path and were last I knew closing in on KC. So hopefully she'll get home tonight. Close to four weeks since she was last here. In.sane.

Enjoy your time with Jeff.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Did you get your test results back? Sorry you feel so yucky. I'm glad your sister will make it back.

Today my brother and Jeff brought the big items into the house and basement for me. That was so helpful. I have lots of boxes to go through in the garage and decide what I want and what I will finally part with. Tomorrow we are going to Traverse City to the cherry product store. Jeff wants to take a cherry pie home. Our neighbor owns it so she reserved a pie for him. It's color season and tourists come up to see Fall color. We didn't want to risk she would be out of pies when we got there. Nice to have an in with the owner.

Tomorrow eve siblings are coming for dinner to see Jeff. I'm making chili and corn bread. My sister is bringing a salad, dessert and an appetizer. As much as I want to keep things very simple, my sisters always want to add to the meal and bring stuff. I just need to let them but they always make it about the food. That bothers me. It is suppose to be about getting together. The chili and corn bread were to be a simple dinner. Buffet style...serve self chili and take a piece of corn bread, sit at the table. No frills... They get carried away with holidays and *kitten* about it the "work" they do to pull it off the entire time. They start talking about the food way before the holiday and then keep adding to the menu. Crazy!

Well it's late and I need to go to bed. Cold and blustery here today. I think our warmer temps are not happening much more this season. The colors are beautiful and at peak this weekend in many places. Jeff lucked out.

Feel better...
    Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Jeff left at 6am this morning. He hopes to be to Atlanta by 8pm tonight. It was so nice to have him here for a few days. He was so helpful and it's just fun to spend time with him no matter his age. He is turning 31 on November 1st. So hard to believe! David will be 33 in February and Rory turns 26 in March. Wow!

I can predict that my Sunday will be Food Network, Hallmark movies and Netflix. I wouldn't get out of my robe if I didn't have to take Charlie out to exercise and go to the bathroom. He's not crazy about the cold wind but once he gets running he is happy to be out. Lots of smells come in on the wind and he is in his glory.

The dinner last night went well. I made a huge pot of chili and only had two small containers left to freeze. I put green chilis and corn in the corn bread mix and that turned out well. We ended up with 3 desserts since my one sister brought a dessert when she told me she may bring an appetizer. Of course the sister that brought the appetizer also brought way too many crackers, chips, etc to put in the dip. Everyone was stuffed!

I will mow the lawn one more time this week and then windows are getting washed Friday. That's the last thing before winter. Russ will get his cast off on Friday and hopefully get a velcro removable cast that day. Another two weeks and he can hopefully get his walking cast.

Have a good day. I hope you are feeling better.

Jenny