The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,729 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm peach cobbler.

The current effect of having a teammate out is just more work. It's just rough, because we are all so busy right now. It's getting closer to year-end and the work just keeps piling up.

I agree, it is likely just a matter of time, or perhaps we've already had it. This summer there was that week where my temperature was just mildly elevated (in the 99's). It's hard to say. I don't plan to test unless there is a major issue.

I had to bump over to the heat last night - it got down to like 39. It should be back up to 80 this weekend. Hello 2020.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,277 Member
    Options
    Russ and I could have had COVID in February but no way to know. He will have a COVID test this Saturday in preparation for his surgery next week. If he is positive, no surgery. Once he has the test, he can't leave the house at all until surgery day.

The cobbler was a disappointment. Maybe I didn't cook long enough but the top was golden brown. I'm critical of anything I make.

Today my friend and I started our workouts. She has weights and equipment. We are aiming for 2-3 times per week. It will be a challenge to schedule with Russ's appointments coming up. It seems like he always has something going on that takes precedent. Hmmm...

She had a workout planned for us this morning. We did stretching for seniors for about 30 minutes. It felt good! We watched and followed along to a Youtube video lead by a cute Australian guy. After that, we did squats, free weights, crunches with the exercise ball and without, her total gym (rowing, biceps, triceps, pectoral muscles), and the sitting elliptical for cardio. We had fruit, protein smoothies and then were done. We meet again Friday.

Our bathroom fixtures and toilets have all been changed to brushed nickel and high toilets. It is so nice! Now I have to change out the toilet paper holders and get hooks/towel bars for each bathroom.

I have to make dinner. I'm making 7up Biscuits and heating left over stew from the freezer. Not too difficult.

Your temps are all over the place! Cold here too but haven't had to turn on heat yet. Hasn't gone below mid 50's at night that I'm aware of. Leaves are changing and it's starting to feel and look like Fall. I hope it lasts awhile!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    sounds like a great plan having a workout buddy, good job!

I have been doing 40 minutes on my machine, shooting for 5 days a week.

That's about all I got!

• jrbanta
    Options
    Russ' surgery is next Wednesday. He will stay one night in the hospital to be monitored due to his diabetes. The recovery will be long. Doctor will place a metal plate and six screws in his foot, plus a bone graft to fuse a bone. Two weeks in a splint, stitches out, 6 weeks in a cast without bearing weight, and then a walking boot.

WTG on the 5 day a week workouts. Hopefully Laurie and I can get in at least 2 times per week and maybe 3. I have to see how my schedule is going to look with Russ' recovery and his needs. Shopping, meal planning, cleaning, walking Charlie, etc. don't allow much relaxation or scheduling too much.

I'm tired so not much more to say today.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm sure this surgery and recovery will be hard for both Russ and you. I pray you both don't get too frustrated, just take each day and try not to get overwhelmed.

Eye appointment for Caleb tomorrow - he'll need to get a new supply of contacts and new glasses - he thinks his prescription changed quite a bit. Caleb had his first big test in AP Psych - he got the highest score at 86. He studied his booty off (index cards, quizlets, regular studying, cramming, etc) and he barely got a 'b'. I warned him this could be a gpa killer. Fortunately it's a 5.0 class, but I really hope he can find his groove and not have to kill himself to keep his grade up and on top of all his other tough classes.

Zach said he is coming home today. I'm guessing to just sleep. :>) That's usually what he would do. Just get away and cuddle his cat and snooze it up. If he says a few full sentences to me even better!

T.G.I.F.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    When Rory was taking AP classes I was told that colleges look at those classes and grades a little differently. They know they are more work and challenging and account for that in their acceptance decision. The fact that C is challenging himself by taking AP classes speaks volumes to a college. They want students like that. The top grade is amazing and he must be proud since he worked so hard. Now he knows what he has to do the next test.

Russ had his pre op on Thursday. He had an EKG and they found he has a Right Bundle something or other that means he has a delay in the electrical impulse on the right side compared to his left side of his heart. This kind of thing can lead to cardiac arrest. Some people end up with pacemakers to even out the sides. As of now, it's not an issue but the surgeon and anesthesiologist need to know about it. He had his pre op COVID test today. If negative, surgery happens on Wednesday. I'm lining up family and neighbors to visit Charlie, feed him dinner and take him for walks. He will be gated in our mudroom area for most of the day since he is not trustworthy to behave in the house when we are gone.

Our son Jeff plans to come back early October for a visit during peak color. He is going to help me get deck furniture in the pole barn and mow the lawn for the last time. Russ is going to coach us on how to winterize the camper pipes so we can close it up for the season.

My brother is going to help me paint the basement room that will be used for over flow guests. He is going to paint the trim and cut around the windows and I will roll the paint on the walls. I need to get a bed in there for Rory if he comes at Christmas. Then I have all winter to add additional beds/chairs for when David and Chantrelle come next summer/Fall.

So much to do...

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    so much on your plate! I'm glad you have a great 'tribe' helping you out. In the whenver there has been painting, I'm always the trimmer/edger. I never seemed to have enough strength to get a good even coating on the big area with the roller.

Zach came home - got to spend some time on the couch with him Friday night. I had the high school football game from the livestream and we were just hanging out. It was so nice. Neither one of us was necessarily invested in the game, but it was a good time to just be together. Sometimes talking about the game, school or whatever. Then he slept pretty much the whole day Saturday. Ah well, I know that means he just is completely relaxed. And he plans to leave pretty early Sunday (early means noon - heh) because his buddy Derek wants him back to help him with something. Sounds like Zach's classes are tough, but going pretty well. With the semester ending earlier due to the college's new schedule (finals will be done the week of Thanksgiving) and then there is an optional short three week term Zach is considering taking a class during that short sesssion and or working. He's changed so much.

Caleb had a tough week with school and work and then I had to drag him out of bed early Saturday for his eye appointment. He also took a call in shift Saturday for work. He was pretty grumpy and ready for some downtime. I am worried he is overdoing it. He was in such a hurry to start working, even though I told him over and over that for me, his job was school. He has so many years to work. I know for the most part he is enjoying his job and likes making his own money. But I know this school year will challenge him more than the first two did. Sigh. He'll figure it out, but I always worry. That's my job and I am super good at it. ;>)

Ah Sunday, the day I spend all day staring at the clock and getting more depressed as each hours spins by.

Temps back up into the 80's today.

Praying for the east coast during these devasting fires. It's horrendous.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Isn't it amazing how much they grow up in that first year of college as they make their own decisions and rely on themselves not parents? I think it is the best spending time with my adult children. So much more relaxing since they are finding their own way and doing a good job of it.

80's, wow! It's been 60's here with wind, rain, and cloudy if not raining. I wish we could send some of our rain to the west coast. It's horrific what is happening out there. What will be left?

Russ' surgery is Wednesday. I picked up a ramp from my sister yesterday. I need to see if it fits our front steps and if Russ can get up it with his walker. If not, the neighbor has offered to add extensions to the two steps so they are deeper and Russ' walker fits completely on both steps. I would need that done by Thursday so I need to check out the ramp today and have Russ try it. Where is my lazy life? So sad I lost it so soon. I'm still mad at him for this happening even though I know it was an accident. It's going to cost us out of pocket medical costs, lost time, isolation, etc.

I wish you could experience Sundays knowing you didn't have to go to work on Monday.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    It's so hard - because I am just so enjoying the adults they are turning into, and then this is the point where you barely get to spend any time with them. Yet another bitter prize of parenting. I mean, I have always loved them. So much. But for me, the younger years was not particularly enjoyable. Ah well. I truly will be happy if they continue to be well, find their happiness and do well.

I hear what you are saying about being mad. I feel that way all the time. I so get it.

• jrbanta
    Options
    Once the boys are through school and working, hopefully close to home, you can make time (Sunday dinners, etc.). You've done your job if they are independent, self sufficient, loving, caring good men. I wish my boys were closer but it is not meant to be.

Today someone is coming to pump out our camper black tank (poop/pee tank). Then we will get it winterized when Jeff comes in a few weeks. My niece is coming over after work to pick up some of our moving boxes. Unfortunately, I haven't been unpacking any more boxes from the POD to give her more. She and her husband sold their home and are moving to a different one by November. They need to be out of their house by October 1. They will stay somewhere else for a month before closing on their new house. I really need to start opening boxes in the pole barn and find my stuff.

I ordered a pretty rug for my kitchen to place in front of sink, stove, dishwasher, and fridge (work area). The tile floor is cold on the feet and I don't like to wear socks if I don't need to. Hopefully it will also hide some of the crumbs, etc. that fall and are so noticeable on the tile. This way I can vacuum and spot clean if needed once in awhile. It should hide most crumbs.

Russ and I are both nervous for his surgery tomorrow. I'm trying to think positive about the outcome. I always worry about death in surgery. Things can go wrong but I should not let my mind go there. We both want to get through it and focus on recovery and being mobile again. The ramp is working great. He can go up and down with his walker and it makes the steps safe. He's loving the scooter my friend lent him. He even bought a basket and cup holder for it so he can carry stuff. He will give her those when he returns it to her.

My friend Laurie and I did our 3rd work out yesterday. It was hard and I was sweating. We drank protein smoothies afterwards and I went home to change sheets on bed and do laundry. Russ has to shower with a specific cleanser for 3 days and sleep in clean sheets every night until surgery. Second set is clean so I'll put those on tonight. He has to shower again tonight and tomorrow morning before going to hospital. I really fear the risk of infection through all this.

Well I hope you have a great day. I will try to check in tomorrow eve when I get home from surgery. If not, Thursday after he is home.

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm sorry you and Russ are feeling nervous for the surgery. I am sending you both good vibes. Care and expertise for your medical professionals and ease of process and healthy/easy recovery for you and Russ. Be strong and courageous!! (Joshua 1:9)

You both got this!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Thinking of you!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Everything at the hospital was on time, surgery went well and Russ is in his room for over night observation. I stayed until about 4:40 and then came home to be with Charlie. Russ wanted to read and not talk, then fall asleep. The hospital was noisy and they were constantly taking his vitals. I told my sisters not to come over with pizza. I didn't feel like making conversation either and just wanted to be with Charlie and watch a Hallmark movie. Mindless...

The staff were so nice and the hospital was very clean. It's so much easier there than Mpls. Free parking, easy to find a spot, easy in and out. I met his orthopedic doctor in person and he is very nice and personable. Russ said the hospital staff told him they like him alot. He is easy going with his staff and no arrogant attitude. The anesthesiologist was a different story...

Well I'm starting to mellow and may even have a glass of wine before bed. I really need a good night's sleep.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    So glad to hear everything went relatively well. And that you are finding the level of care acceptable. It can really be hit or miss with health care and that's such a critical thing.

Here's another set of good vibes that you both had a good overnight and that coming home goes smooth.

Found out last night that my dad's doctor found a blood clot behind his knee yesterday. My dad has/had been on blood thinners for a few years because of an incident, but I don't know if he has been off them since the accident because of the surgery. Anyway he has to take a shot of something twice a day for awhile. I'm just mentally going with the fact that they didn't put him in the hospital that it must not be too critical. We'll see. The drama continues.

Big 10 reversed course and football will start next month. Heh. Guess the pressure got to be too much. All about science (which these days is pick your point of view) until your job is threatened. Big surprise.

Wishing you a good day!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Russ is staying hospital one more night due to his incision is seeping blood and fluid. This is normal but they don't want to cast him until it stops. He just called me and his nerve block wore off. He is in so much pain he can't handle it. They are giving him percoset for pain which isn't working. It doesn't work for me when I've had injuries either. He's waiting for a valium. I wish they would manage pain better than this these days but their hands are tied with the rules due to Opiod Crisis. It's unfortunate because a lot of people live with daily pain not managed. Many suicides as a result. It wears a person down and leads to hopelessness.

My sisters brought over pizza and salad and we ate dinner together. The neighbors took Charlie for a walk. He rolled in deer poop or something so I had to bathe him when he got back. He's staying away from me now.

Tomorrow morning I work out with my friend and then go pick up Russ, hopefully. I hope they can get this pain under control or it's going to be a hellish few weeks until it subsides. Pray for us!

Russ had to give himself injections of some med when he gets home that prevents clotting. Maybe that is what your Dad has to do too.

Temps are in the 50's and probably 40's tonight. Feels great! Some possible 70's next week again. The maple trees are changing here and there. I hope we have a beautiful Fall.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I am so sorry they can't/won't get his pain under control. I am sending him and you good wishes.

Someone at work who also has a student at Wayne says their app said they had a huge spike this week and the rumor is they will go online soon. That sucks. Things are going so well for Zach. Of course, then she joked how her kid was having a party that night. Of course he is. I hate that those party kids are going to ruin it for the kids who are really there to get an education and life experience. Bah.

Prayers Cooler Buddy!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Russ called late last night in a panic. His nerve block wore off and he was in more pain than he's ever experienced. Percoset wasn't working at all. I guess that is part tylenol and part oxycodone. Varying strengths of oxy. It does not make an impact on me either. He said they were going to give him valium to see if it helped. He had a rough night with only a few hours of sleep. I worked out this morning, ate lunch, walked Charlie and got to the hospital by 1:30 thinking he would be discharged this afternoon. Well they were still trying to manage his pain and he was having spasms that caused his whole body to jerk. Even though oxy tends to make him feel nauseous, they upped the oxy to 20mg and it was helping his pain. We decided for him to stay one more night and make sure the meds are working consistently before he comes home. If he has a good night, he will be discharged in the morning.

I turned on the heat today because it was 63 in the house this morning. I typically hate to turn on heat until October but it was chilly in here. It's suppose to warm up this next week so we will be able to turn off again.

That would be disappointing for Z to have to come home and do college online for this year. I'm sure it is hard for kids at college to resist the social parties and hanging out together in close quarters. I feel so bad for their college experience being abnormal.

My sisters and cousin have brought us 3 different home made soups. It's nice for a simple dinner.

Well take care and I hope it works out for Z.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Sending more good thoughts. I pray Russ had a better night and the pain is under control.

I had to bump on the heat a couple of weeks ago when we had that low snap. Just a bit. Of course the a/c came right back when the warmth returned. All 80's for the next week.

No word from the Wayne front on if the numbers are a rumor, or anything else. Of course I am hearing most college campuses are having large spikes, its just pretty inevitable. And large numbers doesn't necessarily mean they are very ill.

Wishing you a good weekend with lots of healing!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Russ did not get discharged until 4pm. He was still vomiting after his oxy today. It turns out he was being given the pills on an empty stomach since yesterday. The morning nurse discovered that and said it's not ok. So today he had food first and it made a difference. When I arrived at noon he had been sick and breaking in to a sweat after taking one. Then he ate prior to his pill and it went ok. He's had ice cream since he's been home. Doesn't want anything but yogurt, popsicles, ice cream, and fruit. Lots of meds to keep track of: oxy, anti nausea, antibiotic, anti clotting, and stool softener. This is going to be a long haul.

Thank you to the neighbors taking Charlie on a long walk every evening with their dog. It's the high light of his day right now. My brother came over about 2 to let him out and then I had to call him back to help me assist Russ with his walker from the car to the front door. I was afraid he would fall due to how tired and week he is and needed someone to help me.

I hope your weekend is a good one.

Jenny

• jrbanta
    Options
    Russ' first night home went ok. I slept mostly through then night. He said he got up once to use the bathroom and I never heard him. He hasn't vomited so eating something before the oxy is working. He is more alert today and we will get him a shower later. He's pretty ripe! I can't believe they don't shower or do sponge baths in hospitals anymore. I guess staff are spread thin and don't have time for that.

I just ordered some long sleeve tees, fleece and a bright red jacket (walking during hunting season) from Lands End. I can see I will be living in warm cozy tops and pants for the winter.

I need to put out mouse stuff today in the pole barn and garage. Charlie and I will go on a mouse hunt and strategically place the traps.

Have a nice day!
    Jenny