The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    UNL is on 7/16 and Wayne is on 7/29. He also mentioned Kearney so we'll see if we can get that scheduled too. Columbus has an early start this year (compared to the later the last few), so Caleb started on 8/13. Zach goes back a bit later (compared to earlier that last couple) on 8/23. Going fast!

Caleb's senior pic proofs arrived today. Overall, I'm pleased. There aren't thousands of them, but still plenty to choose from. The only one I'm slightly disappointed in is the pics in front of the old Studabaker truck that I thought would be the 'one', but that one doesn't have the big smile I wanted. There are still lots of great options. I am hoping the photographer will have something posted to their FB page that I can share without violating copyright. I have about two weeks before the appointment to pick out portraits. Wowza. So grown up.

I like what it sounds like you are doing to your dresser. I have gone through years of, "can't touch the wood", I'm more in a I want it look like I want phase now. I told Bernie that someday I'd like to try find someone who does design to help layout the house better. I enjoy my home and can see myself staying here for a long, long time. But there are certain things I hate but don't have the 'vision' to fix. He didn't seem receptive. Big surprise.

I picked up my glasses again today. They re-made the lenses to try to address what I was saying, that they weren't working for all my computer work. So far, meh. I am on my laptop and it's better. But I am still having trouble figuring out where to look out of the lenses for looking at the clock on the stove, or the bag the food was in, turning my head because I have to look straight on. So far kind of annoyed again. I mean when I moved to bi-focals two years ago I had zero problems. I was just thrilled to be able to read. This pair is supposedly just a small increase, but having so much trouble adjusting. Eh. Big expense for not much happiness.

Friyay!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,274 Member
    Options
    WTG C on doing college visits! Rory did them and it was a big help. Jeff and David wouldn't and both ended up transferring to different schools.

Go ahead and hire/schedule whomever for your house. Some furniture stores have designers that will come to your home and give input on organizing space, style and colors. Or maybe there is someone in your town that works as a consultant. Men don't get that we want our homes to be cozy, homey and inviting. Russ wouldn't have a clue about color and style. Bernie will like the end result and if not, you will. Just make sure person gets your likes and dislikes and doesn't go to trendy so you don't like it in 5 years.

Weird your glasses still aren't right. I use to have progressives but went back to bifocals. I like them better. Do you go to a good optical place or to one of the chains or Big Box optical places? Sometimes it is worth it to get better lenses at an optical specialty place. So expensive though!

I've been soaking my brass drawer hardware in tomato paste and/or ketchup per Pinterest. Then I scrubbed with vinegar and salt. They are getting shiny and most of tarnish is off but I'm going to buy a brass cleaner tomorrow. It is so much work with the home made remedy.

Well it is suppose to get to 87 tomorrow so I'm ready for pool time!

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Beautiful weather today and my sister's pool was the perfect temperature. I floated for an hour, ate lunch of grilled hotdogs, potato salad, watermelon and brownies, and then floated for a couple more hours. A wonderful day!

My sister and I are going to do an early bike ride tomorrow before the trail gets busy. We hope to go about 20 miles. I need the exercise.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    16.45 mile bike ride this morning. We got on the trail at 9:20 with only a handful of walkers, runners and cyclists. On the return trip it was getting pretty busy. I think 8:30 would be a better start time for a morning workout.

I dead headed flowers in pots and garden and then relaxed in the afternoon. We went to a July 4th picnic at a friends that was also a surprise birthday party for my friend's husband. Lots of people! We sat with an old classmate and his daughter and met some other people.

Home now and I'm not going to be up too late. I have a chiro appointment in the morning and then need to wash clothes and pack a bag. On Tuesday I'm going down state to see a MN friend that moved to MI 5 years ago. I'm going to stay with her and her family for a couple of nights and catch up. I haven't seen her in over a year, before COVID, when she visited MN.

Hope you are having a good 4th celebration.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    My family didn't reach out about doing anything to celebrate until well after Caleb had made his own plans, so we didn't get together. I wasn't going to tell Caleb he had to cancel just because family decided at the 11th hour. I got super angry at the neighbors doing fireworks that had debris hitting the house and landing in the yard. AND they told Bernie to move our car out of the way. So then I got angry at Bernie too for doing it. I know it's unreasonable because in the long run not having adversarial relationships with neighbors is more important, but I'm sick of them always being the one who tells us where to park (it's happened before). They drive loud vehicles, motorcycles, four wheelers and are always revving and racing early and late. Truly a weird dichotomy since they are part of the ultra religious Bible Baptist church. Eh, glad another year of that is over.

I think I am adjusting the my glasses, but tomorrow back at work will be the real test. I do get them at the doctors office even though I'm sure it costs more because I do hope they are better quality and they did remake these and said if they still didn't work would refund. Hopefully they work out. I don't want to start over.

Enjoying my extra day !

• jrbanta
    Options
    I would be upset if the neighbors' firework debris was falling in my yard and if they told us where to park our car. I don't like those kind of neighbors. I'm so glad we don't have any close now. Too many years of listening to revving trucks, boats and snowmobiles and the other neighbor's kid killing our beautiful pine trees branch by branch.

I wouldn't have made my kid cancel either. We only went to the picnic for a couple of hours. Good burgers, potato salad, beans and cake. We came home and I lounged in the recliner with my sore neck. I don't know what I did to it but I couldn't move it to the left and it was making me woozy. The chiropractor helped this morning and I've been putting heat on it all day per her instructions.

I bought my friend's little boys a couple of fun toys/activities to do. I bought her and her husband some cherry jam, local wine and fresh sweet cherries from the area. I will leave about 8:45/9am tomorrow to head down state. I'll be back Thursday afternoon.

I do think the optical place at the doctor's does get higher quality lenses and frames. I've bought from many places and that has been my experience. I hope you get yours figured out.

I need to finish throwing some clothes into my bag tonight. I've got half of it laid out and just need to grab some tops and put my toiletries together.

I may not check in until Thursday or Friday. Enjoy your week.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I had a nice visit with my friend down state. I got back this afternoon around 4pm. We chatted, spent time with her kids, and went out for dinner, just us, last night. On the way home, I stopped in East Lansing where I went to college at Michigan State University. I treated myself to lunch at my very favorite Mexican restaurant. This new med depresses my appetite so I couldn't even eat half of my entree. It was good though.

Have you had a good week?

Tomorrow eve some MN friends are meeting us for dinner in Traverse City. They are vacationing a couple of hours from here so they contacted us to meet up. It's Cherry Festival here so it may be a wait at the restaurant tomorrow eve.

Well I'm tired and need to find something light to eat.

TGIF tomorrow!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I hope you are having (or had) a good time with your friend.

The week is going fast. Next week Caleb has Choir Camp. They are planning to go back to the National Barbershop Harmony Society competition next January so the choir will begin working next week. School starts 8/11! Of course schedules aren't out and I dread what the so called guidance office will send out (probably less than a week before school does start). Caleb still has several required classes to get in (government, econ, english, calc, speech) and then concert choir and new worlds and robotics. I know they will say he can't have what he wants. It has happened every year with both kids. Hate. Sigh. One more year, one more year.

Next week is UNL visit!

I don't know if I mentioned that I noticed that Zach has some thinning in his hair recently. I talked about with our hair lady (she does the boys hair too) and she said she had noticed it the last couple of times too. Yikes. So I have got some biotin gummy vitamins for him to start taking and looking at some therapeutic shampoo as well. He took a course of diflucan from december to February for some badly fungal looking toenails and I have done some sluething that can cause some hair loss. I truly hope it's from that and will return. But, my dad does not have any hair on top and hasn't since his 30's and they say it comes down on the mother's side. That makes me sad. I know how bad people feel (have experienced it myself too!) when you're hair goes. I was hopeful because Bernie has great hair. And the boys have had beautiful hair too. I would happily give my hair up if it would grow theirs. I wish it worked like that. Isn't it always something. He finally gets to college and starts to discover his path, friends and gaining confidence. This could really strike a blow. Boo.

Friyay eve!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Hopefully the hair issue is the medication and it will begin to grow back in a few months.

I polished my brass dresser hardware and painted a coat of poly over the stained dresser top. Tomorrow I will paint the mirror pedestal and stain the mirror frame. Monday I will take the mirror to the glass doctor and see if it can be repaired or replaced.

Beautiful day in the 70's. We are going to dinner with MN friends at 5.

Have a great weekend.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Storms rolled through last night. Think we got over an inch of rain. No major damage for us, but lots of damage elsewhere.

Caleb came home last night from work in a very down demeanor. He wouldn't talk to me and the only thing I got from him in a text later was that 'he can't do anything right.' I am inferring a critical evening in his work performance. That makes the momma bear in me growl and want to snap its chain. I know I can't do anything but try to support him. I hate seeing any of my babies hurting. Praying his heart works through his trouble today and he leaves it for God before he has to go back tonight. Or he finally tells them to pound sand.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Are there other jobs for teens in your town? It seems everyone is hiring. Maybe he should look for something different if his unhappiness continues. Pay offered is high and a varied resume is a good thing. Did you ever get specifics on what happened?

I got up early and was on the bike trail by 7:45am. I road 9.5 miles for some exercise and then came home and worked on my dresser. I put a second coat of poly on the top and painted the pedestal that holds the mirror. Tomorrow I will do one more coat of poly and the second coat of paint on the pedestal. Monday I will take the mirror in its frame to a glass and mirror place in Traverse City and see if they can repair the mirror or replace it. The brass hardware looks really good. I know it will tarnish again and that is fine. It was so dirty and dark and needed a good cleaning and polish.

We portaled with Miles, Jeff and Karah this afternoon. He is so smiley and has the best facial expressions. He is 3.5 months and was looking at the portal screen watching and listening. At one point he was "talking" to us. So fun!

I also cleaned up the basement bunk room and vacuumed thoroughly. Tomorrow I need to mop the tile around the rugs. Then it will be ready for Russ to put beds together. I will order mattresses and continue to spruce up the furniture I have collected for it. No visitors coming so I have more time to work on it.

Last night we had dinner with MN friends that are vacationing just north of us. We met in Traverse City and ate dinner on a restaurant dock looking over the bay. They followed us to our house afterwards to see where we live. They didn't stay long because they had a 1.5 to 2 hour drive back to their hotel in Petoskey. It seems to be MN week for me.

Well I hope C got it figured out and is feeling happier. Have a nice Sunday.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    He was still a bit down, but seemingly still resolved on staying put. He is 'choir camp' all week and the visit to UNL Friday so he will be too busy to work for several days. Probably a good time for a break anyway. Can you believe in four weeks C will be back to school? Yikes.

What a big boy already 'talking' to you! Fun!!

As difficult as my own feelings have been about work, there is no lie that I have nothing bad to say about having several short weeks back to back to back to back. Very nice.

Later!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I'll be curious to find out what C thinks of UNL. Good luck on that visit. It's nice you have back to back short work weeks. Great timing with summer!

I dropped my dresser mirror at a place today. They have to replace it and the cuts for the shape will be intricate. I'm just glad the guy was willing to do the job.

It's starting to get close to our trip so I'm trying to tackle a to do list. I've made my packing list but I want to get a couple of books to take to Halen and something to take to Chantrelle and David.

I'm not feeling well tonight so my brain feels foggy and tired. I will be going to bed early.

I did make an appointment with an orthopedic doctor for August 10th after our trip. I'll be curious to hear what he has to say about my knees and possible treatments for my pain.

Well it's getting warmer here again. We had to turn on the AC so we could sleep without a humid house.

Happy Tuesday.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    picture order session tomorrow - argh - decisions have to be made tonight

How is the new medication going? Is that maybe why you feel off? Starting new meds can cause some body upsets while you get used to it.

Tuesday!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    The new med definitely affects me. I do the injection on Sunday eve and feel funky Monday morning. It definitely suppresses the appetite but I also have mild nausea in the first day or two after injection. My blood sugar has dropped and I've lost 6 pounds since I started taking it. The jury is still out for me but it is doing what it is suppose to do. Russ takes it and says within a month or two I will adjust and not feel so funky.

I did touch up painting on the trim in the basement bunk room today. I need to touch up the wall color in places too. Russ put the two trundle beds together and tomorrow he will put the queen bed frame together. Next I will look for mattresses and order window shades when we return from AK.

I received another notice of flight changes. This is the second one since we booked. Our layover in Seattle is less than 40 minutes and we now leave MPLS at 3:05pm instead of 7:30am. So frustrating! I really hate flying these days because we aren't in control of our own trip. So far the return flight is the same. I have events with friends and dog sitter scheduled around the original dates so if they change I will be mad.

Did you make a decision on the pictures? It's always hard to do.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    My childhood friend was over for lunch today. We had a nice visit and caught up for the last 50 years!

We had over an inch of rain last night. We needed it. It's cooler so we turned off the AC today.

Tomorrow I get a pedicure and then I need to begin packing for AK. Time is flying by.

How are you doing?
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    It's already time for AK? Oh boy. How exciting!

Pictures are ordered. Yay!

Flying these days sounds more than a bit anxiety making. I hope your trip goes smooth.

We just got back from UNL a bit ago. Caleb murmured a couple of times when we were walking around and standing around, "this is it." In the car we asked how this ranked and he said it is a 9 and he didn't even get to see the engineering building today. We will schedule a return visit hopefully for September. So it sounds like a serious contender. You know, it's ironic. When Zach was born we made a sign for the yard, "It's a Husker!" Zach ends up a Wildcat and it looks like Caleb may end up the 'it's a Husker'. We'll see.

He also had a good time at 'choir camp'. We went to see the songs they worked on Thursday before leaving and it was very enjoyable.

The temp here is down a bit too, but still so humid and my a/c is definitely not off! ;>)

Doing laundry and trying to stay awake. Didn't sleep well at all.

Friyay!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It sounds like you and C had a great college visit. Rory really liked it there too and could see himself there. If it hadn't been for that military scholarship I think he would have chosen UNL.

We went to the local farmer's market in our town for the first time today. We were looking for a booth to get some locally made sauces we wanted to take as gifts to Rory and my friend who is giving us a bedroom for 3 days. We found it so those are purchased.

I've finished my laundry, dead heading flowers, and weeding today. I will be ready to put clothes in a suitcase tomorrow eve. Tonight I'm going to feed my flowers in pots and give a good watering. I'll water again on Monday before we go to bed. We are getting up very early and on the road by 4:30am. It's easiest with traffic to the Mackinac bridge (there won't be any) and we can fly through the upper peninsula to Wisconsin. We want to drop Charlie off at sitters around 4:30 or 5 MN time on Tuesday. Then we can meet Rory for dinner and check in to our hotel. We fly out Wednesday.

I'm not sleeping well either. It seems I have to get up at least once to go to the bathroom and after that I toss and turn due to sore knees and not getting comfortable. I ended up in the recliner the other night and that is not a good sleep.

Tomorrow I am getting together with two childhood friends and we are visiting a lavender farm and maybe going out for lunch. I've been wanting to go to this farm but waited for COVID to settle down. It should be blooming and they have products they make for purchase.

Well going to watch the news and eat dinner. I'll be in touch before I leave and try to check in via phone app while traveling.

• mizpaden74
    Options
    Oooh. A lavender farm. How interesting sounding.

We had the best meal Friday before leaving. We went to an Italian place in the Haymarket called Vincenzo's. SO delicious. We had arancini for a starter - I have wanted to try 'fried rice balls' for years and years (yes, I watch way too much DDD and food network) and then the chicken dishes we each had were amazing too. If all the places in the Haymarket (we also ate at Lazlo's on Thursday night and it was pretty great) are that good we are going to get super fat because we all decided we need to start making trips to Omaha and/or Lincoln more often to try these places we haven't been. :>) Next on my must try based on DDD obsession - chilaquilles. I have to try to find a place that has that, there are a lot of Tex-Mex places around, but haven't been to a place yet that I have seen those. They sound so good.

Safe and fun travels wished for you!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    We probably ate at one of those restaurants in Lincoln both times we were visiting. I love Licorice International and bought an assortment of licorices to try. Now we order online from them if we want some. How far is Lincoln, driving time, for you?

We watch a lot of Food Network too.) I like DDD, various chefs and the kid's championship shows. We save a lot of their recipes and Russ likes to try them. Lucky me! We love good Mexican but haven't found it here yet.

Believe it or not, I'm actually packed! This is early for me. I just have to put toiletries in my bag, pack Charlie's supplies and make up the back seat in the car for him. Then I need to prune and dead head plants. Russ is mowing and my sister's have a schedule for watering pots.

It's hot and humid so I really don't want to go outside. I'm washing sheets and the dog bed first.

We will be leaving very early but I'll update on MFP on my phone occasionally.

Have a good week.