The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    My pedicure felt great and my feet feel good. I chose a Fall color of deep burgundy/plum this time. We had a great fish dinner at the restaurant by Lake Michigan. We watched the sun set as we ate. Beautiful night...

I'm sewing challenged doing these curtains. I've wasted one whole sheet and have two left for two windows. I need to change my approach. My machine tends to eat the material and leave black marks along the stitch line. Not good...

My sister and I are going to a different little town tomorrow to check out some stores, have lunch or ice cream. Not as many tourists now so it is easy to park and no crowds.

TGIF!
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    How did the outfit that ordered last work out?

I do believe Caleb's boss (owner of the franchise) is taking advantage of him. I have made suggestions about other work options (including not needing to work) but he usually just 'wife mode's" me. I do get it to a certain extent. I suppose he has heard me say to Bernie before that the grass isn't going to be greener somewhere else. The frustrating (ironic?) thing is just yesterday in the car Caleb made a comment about maybe applying at Hibbett Sports (an athletic store in a strip mall) because his friend moved there from fast food. I'm like, "Caleb IIIII suggested that place back when you were talking about going to work over a year ago. I suggested it would be a more relaxed option than fast food and the hours in that place would be easy - no late nights or early mornings and you literally rolled your eyes at me." We'll see. He was in a somewhat better mood this week until his shift last night again and he has a weirdly long shift today. So we'll see what he is feeling.

And, I would like to do counseling. But Bernie has no problems according to him. I did counseling on my own mmmm before Caleb was born and it helped me and gave me coping strategies etc, but I'm not the only in the relationship who could use to better themselves and even though the attitude may not be fully positive - but if Bernie doesn't want to confront the things he could work on - I shouldn't have to do all the work myself.

I try not to bring my personal tensions with Bernie into play with the boys, but I'm sure they feel it, it's pretty noticeable that I disengage and go to my room when Bernie gets unpleasant or hurts my feelings. We're basically just co-parents. I have no idea what next will bring. Bernie just wants to pretend everything is always fine and never do any work on the relationship. I guess I just feel if you don't want to do the work, there is no relationship.

I haven't had an official pedicure since the Orlando trip when in 2015? I would but I have this gross toenail now and don't want to have anyone look at it.

At least it's Friday.

• jrbanta
    Options
    I hope C figures out the work thing. He doesn't sound happy in his current job and a change would be positive and rejuvenating if it's the right work environment. Retail would be good experience for a resume too.

I agree that both need to work on their own issues and relationship issues. When my first husband and I went to one counseling session before we separated, it was apparent he did not want to work on the relationship. I started changing my mindset to separate at that point. It was too draining to live with tension, being treated poorly, and being unhappy. It sounds like Bernie takes you for granted and has gotten lazy in the relationship.

Treat yourself to a massage, manicure or pedicure. My sister has a bad big toe nail and she got a pedicure and her feet look so much better. I love when my feet feel great. After the wedding I'm going to continue with pedicures every 6 weeks to 2 months through the winter, but without polish, just buffing the nails. I'll do polish for the wedding since I'm wearing open toed shoes.

So far, I have 4 friends coming in October at the same time and 2 more together a week later, possibly.

The last pant suit that arrived I sent back. I have one in my possession and another is on the way but hasn't arrived. It will have to be one of the 2 remaining ones. I'm out of time unless I want to drive 3 hours to Grand Rapids and shop. I hate shopping for clothes.

My sister and I had a nice time today. I bought 3 cards and a cheap bracelet. Nothing for Christmas presents. We ate lunch on a patio and I'm stuffed! No dinner tonight so I will be fine in a bit.

My new comforters arrived and the navy blue is perfect. I still haven't figured out how to return the others. I need to call Overstock and ask them.

Hope you are having a good weekend.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I love listening to all your house projects you are doing. So inspiring! I wish I had that vision you have to create. Love it.

Saturday! There is a huge Husker game with them facing Sooners for the first time in years (decades?) - it's going to be tough to even have on though I'm sure they will fall and flounder like they have been doing for the last 10 plus plus years. Bleh. Volleyball tonight - hopefully they are have a better night.

Have a great day!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I cut out another sheet for a curtain but when I started to sew, the machine didn't do the stitching correctly and left loose threads and blackened thread (I need it white). Russ brought in my Mom's old Singer from the pole barn. Right now I'm so discouraged. Should have been an easy project but of course it is not. I just ordered temporary pleated paper shades from Amazon to use on the remaining two windows for now. I'm done sewing until after my friends leave I think.

My list of what to pack for camping is done. I just need to throw in the bag tomorrow and put in camper. We need to make the bed and Russ is going to grocery shop for supplies. Our neighbor is coming over in the morning to help Russ move the painted dresser to the basement. I hope neither of them get hurt.

I washed our front and back entrance doors on the inside and outside today. We need a new front door but it can wait until next summer. There was a bunch of gooey glue like residue on the door by the window. I sprayed it with goo gone and used a plastic scraper to get it off, then washed the door. Some of the paint came off and I repained that spot with matching extra Russ found in the pole barn. Now it looks normal and not so gross when you enter the house. I also washed a cold air return vent that was full of fuzz and dog hair. I think we need our vents and ducts cleaned.

I hope you are relaxing and watching football.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    doing our first college application today - UNL here we go!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    College applications, oh the joy! Good luck. Where all does C want to apply? We liked UNL and visited twice.

We returned two days early from camping. When we arrived Monday it was pouring rain. It stopped for a bit so we could sit outside but the winds picked up and increased to 16 mph and never ceased. We woke up this morning with the winds still high and predicted to be 25 mph tomorrow, not calming until Friday when we would head home. No camp fires, sat in the camper due to wind and rain, drove to a tavern for a meal on Tuesday. We couldn't cook outside so ate our two meals that could be prepared inside. Boring! Every time we camp the weather is awful and we end up sitting inside a lot. No fun...

Did you relax and watch football last weekend?
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Yesterday I helped my sister move furniture around and measure her living room for a new area rug. I'm sure it will take her a year to make a decision on which one she wants. We went through several web sites rug choices and she is very picky.

Russ had fallen between the deck boards when working on our back deck a week or more ago. He still has leg pain and was popping lots of Tylenol when we were camping. I've encouraged him to go see his doctor in case he had a hairline fracture. Of course he didn't listen. Finally, he went today and yes, the xray shows a fracture in his Fibia on his left leg. They referred him to his orthopedic doctor to see if he needs a splint for it to heal. In a year and a half, he has shattered his left ankle, broke his tibia on his let leg, and now his fibia on his left leg. Not what I pictured for retirement. At this rate, we may not see much travel in our future if he continues with this streak. Part of his problem is he is bull headed and thinks he can do all sorts of physical jobs himself. Then the accidents happen... The back deck won't be finished this Fall. He has to put a railing on but at this point, he will wait until spring.

I'm not too motivated and have not accomplished much today. I walked Charlie, made a mammogram appointment for December, and called a vision clinic and left a message that I want to be a new patient. I've been sitting around reading, but I should be weeding and dead heading flowers, etc. My bulbs arrived so I will have to figure out how to plant those soon.

Jeff and Karah moved to St. Augustine, FL today to their new house. I hope they love their neighborhood and house as much as they hope to. They are 3 blocks from the ocean and have a pool in their back yard. I'll be there by early spring, hopefully.

Hope all is well.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Jeff and Karah's new home sounds amazing. I hope they love it and that you get to visit too.

And I'm sorry your camping trip was a bust. What a bummer.

I'm sorry Russ is hurt again. Sounds a lot like what keeps happening to my dad to a certain extent. They just keep doing things they shouldn't. And also then fight doing the things needed to heal (my dad has all sorts of physical therapy exercises he should be doing to help with his mobility and pain and won't do them). I feel your frustration. I hope it gets better.

We did the application for UNL, UNO and UNK this week. We had a code to get the application fee waived, so we jumped all over it - save the $50. I don't see any issues getting accepted to any place he applies. I mean we aren't applying to any sort of 'prestige' places and with his grades he should be an automatic yes. It will more so be the stress of will he get his ACT up enough to score any nice scholarships. Even though he is petty well settled on UNL, I told him he will apply to six schools - a financial person told us that a few years ago, you have to make sure they don't see you as a shoo-in. I don't know if it matters - but it shouldn't be a big deal to do a few more applications. We had to get guidance to give Caleb his official class ranking and current GPA for the UNL app and I had been under the impression he was on the bubble of almost not being top 10 percent - like riding the line of 28, 29, 30 out of the 300 - which is still great, but causing me the worry he could fall out this year and miss out on that after all his work. Come to find out he is sixth. 6th!!! My boy!!!! I am proud no matter what, but come on - that is pretty freaking awesome.

Today is my nephew's 27th birthday. I remember when he was born. I was in college! Getting ready to go march in a parade as that was when I was in the color guard for marching band at Wayne. Wow. So long ago. And my niece is moving into her first apartment this weekend. Time marching on. Our kids are not 'kids' so much.

I expect there will be lots of introspection in the coming months as I start pondering what may be next for me.

Hope you will have a nice weekend.

Caleb works a lot, and it doesn't sound like Zach is coming home. So - maybe I should work in the yard? Meh.

Bernie and I are home alone on a Friday night (Caleb at work) and I had to have toaster strudel for dinner - lame. I'm not much of a drinker but I'm having at least one and wondering about many things.

Annual labs and doctors appointment next week - I definitely shouldn't have had toaster strudels or booze - but oh well.

Friyay!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Wow for C! What a fantastic class ranking. You should be a proud Mama and brag to everyone! We really liked Lincoln and the people we met with at UNL were so nice.

I have been lazy. Changing the sheets today and washing bedding is my activity so far. I have pictures to hang downstairs but not motivated right now. Later this week I will clean for my brother's gathering and my cousin coming to stay for the weekend. We bury Steve's ashes next Saturday afternoon.

It is a different household when the kids are gone. Quiet! We immediately adopted two dogs and they became our children. With C working and Z not coming home on weekends, you have a taste of how quiet and low key the house can be.

I scheduled my mammogram for December and left a message at an eye clinic to become a new patient. Hopefully they call me Monday to schedule an exam or I will need to call them.

Jeff and Karah are unpacking and happy to be in their new home.

I need to find a seamstress that can hem two pairs of pants for the wedding. I will call around on Monday.

Happy Weekend!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Did just a small bit of yard stuff. It was actually pretty warm this weekend.

Have to go back to stupid Verizon tomorrow. I thought they had finally got the promos applied correctly and then I got an email that one was being reversed aaaaannnnnddddd I am still fighting to get the charges set to what I agreed to back in May. And my sister just upgraded to the 13 this week for free! Four free iphone 13's and only paying taxes. Jeez, it's hard to be her sister. I'm going to end up paying way more for the 12's. And all the hassle it's been on my end to even get it set up. I HATE DEALING WITH THIS STUFF

• jrbanta
    Options
    I agree that phone stuff is awful. I hate having to get a new phone and set it up. I don't even know all my phone can do so it seems so crazy to have this phone and not utilize it to capacity.

Today I hung my pictures down stairs and Russ helped me with a heavy mirror and large picture. My clothes hook bar and pillow covers should arrive this week. I have some touch up painting to do and put up the temporary shades when they arrive. I will buy spray paint tomorrow for the last two pieces of furniture I want to paint, chairs. I don't need them done when my friends come but I do want to paint them before weather turns cold. Should be 50 degrees or higher when I paint.

Russ and I just went out for dinner and returned. I had Lake Superior Perch and he had Walleye. It was yummy. It's fairly quiet in our county now since summer is over and the color is just starting to change. In a couple of weeks there will be more tourists again for October and then gone by November 1st. I love it when it is quiet and few cars on the road.

My brother arrived today and is staying at my sister's. He came up for the burial and to do some estate stuff of my deceased brother. I haven't seen him yet but I'm sure he will pop in. After he told me he does not respect David and Jeff because they did not get vaccinated, I'm not interested in talking to him too much. As 30+ year olds, they have the right to make their own medical decisions. I don't agree with their decisions but need to respect that right. It doesn't make me love them less, just worry more.

Have a great Monday. I need to do errands in Traverse City tomorrow.

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    So today we found out that our CEO/CFO/main leader Phil Raimondo his eye cancer has returned and the prognosis is grim. Michele was bawling after they told staff and then later today they put out an official 'viewpoint' announcement to the entirety of the company. They will be bringing back "TR" (Tony Raimondo - Phil's dad - who officially retired about 5 years ago) to be the figure head as they search for a CEO. Bad things afoot. Very sad for Phil and his family. Phil is a smart man and good leader. The best one of the family. His wife Mary is genuinely the nicest person I have ever met. Sad for them. Worried for the company. Phil's leadership was always solid. Way better than TR - who is really too old, and the other son Tony Jr is not smart enough. Phil's kids don't have enough experience yet. So yeah. Quite a tough day.

Labs tomorrow
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone that has eye cancer. That is so sad! Does a person lose their vision, is it terminal, is it easily cured? I wonder if you will have big changes in your company in the next year when they find a new CEO?

The scale is finally moving down again bit by bit. This new diabetes medication really helps control my blood sugar so that allows me to lose some pounds gradually. I am down 15.8 since February of 2020. My goal is to lose 40 more pounds over the next 2 years. I believe in slow loss and just making good decisions when I can. If I "diet" I will sabotage myself, plateau and gain it all back. This has happened many times.

My brother is taking my sisters and us out for dinner tonight. We are going to The Cove where Russ, Lynn and I went two weeks ago. I will have perch or whitefish again. Yum!

Darrin, my window washer, is here doing a last wash on the windows before winter. With guests coming Saturday and the ladies arriving in two weeks, I wanted them done so we could see outside clearly.

I washed toys today so I could put out a basket for my great niece when she is here on Saturday. I also have to child proof the stairs and any breakables on end tables. She is 23 months old and touches everything! I started cleaning the house today, made the guest room bed for my cousin, dusted and hung more things on the wall. Friday I will vacuum and clean two bathrooms for Saturday guests.

I hope all is well with you.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I just put an apple pie with sharp white cheddar in the crust in the oven. One of my goals in retirement was to try making pies from scratch. This is my 4th pie.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    The pie is good! More savory with the cheese in the crust and not real sweet. I would add more cinnamon and nutmeg if I made it again.

It is about 4:30 am and I've been awake since 3:30am. Lately I am having trouble sleeping a few nights per week. I think so much is going on in my brain with burying my brother tomorrow, hosting the gathering, getting projects done, and anticipating my friends coming from MN in a week.

My sisters drive me a little crazy. Yesterday I met my oldest sister at the nursery to pick out a large Mum plant for the graveside. I will bring it home on Sunday for my entrance door. I took 3 pieces of the pie to give her, two for her and my brother, and one for her to drop off at my other sisters. They live across the road from one another. When I asked her if she would drop the pie at Becky's, her response was "I don't want to go there". I told her she wasn't home and was out biking and she still refused. I said, "I guess I can drive around the lake from the cemetery, stop at her house, and then head home (not a direct route for me) to put on her counter". I walked the pie back to my car before entering the nursery. When I was half way across the parking lot she said, "I guess I could stop there". I ignored her and put it in my car. I dropped it off and went to visit a friend at her store. Weird! I don't know if it is age that makes people become so rigid and self-centered, stuck in their ways? She has changed in the last 3-5 years (she is 70, almost 71).

We had a mobile groomer come to our house yesterday to wash, trim, and brush Charlie. It was so slick to have her come here and not take him somewhere. It really didn't cost any more than if we took him to a place. She did a nice job so we will schedule for wash and brush for mid December.

More Fall color is emerging. I hope it is beautiful by the time my friends arrive on the 10th.

Today I will be cleaning and setting up for the gathering here tomorrow after the graveside service.

TGIF!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I can't believe your brother said that about your kids. Pbbbbllllttttt on him.

Can you believe it's October. This used to be my favorite month/season. That feeling faded after starting at Behlen because our fiscal year ends at the end of October so the insanity level gets even higher. And then Covid for me was last October, another taint. And now another level of "are you kidding me?" with the imminent demise of our leader. Things are tough.

I was pleased that my labs came back pretty darn good. Last year a couple of my numbers were a touch high, this year look better. I'm still not happy about my weight, but the doc said he was happy that my BMI was under 30. So, I'll take that. And I'll keep trying.

I keep forgetting to ask, has the newish med helped with weight loss any?

I have been pondering pictures as well. I have a large open staircase and with quite a large wall space - and currently have a bunch of the boys older big pictures all over my mantle - I wonder if they would look good on the wall and then I could put 'stuff' on the mantle. Bernie would probably fight it since - holes in the wall.

Caleb's choir was supposed to travel to Pasedena in January for the National Barbershop Harmony Society convention (Zach did it his senior year), but they just pulled the plug. Stupid Covid.

Friyay, friyay, friyay.

So glad to get away from the crazy.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I seem to be a few behind on your entries! I think I forgot to refresh. Today I ran the same report for a branch twice instead moving to the second branch. I am out of it.

Your pie sounds delicious. I love homemade pie. My favorite is cherry (tart cherries) with a bunch of vanilla ice cream. Yum.

One of the letters Caleb didn't even open from his acceptances was something from Kearney. We did the Kearney (University of NE at Kearney) as part of the application to UNL and UNO even though Kearney is dead last of like all schools in interest for him. But, anyway, I was going through the mail and opened it just now and it was telling him they were doing a Reagent's scholarship for him. We didn't even do the scholarship applications yet. It gives me hope that there will hopefully be something from UNL at some point. I mean I know the competition is tougher at UNL due to the level of students they get, but boy if we could the Reagent's that would be so fantastic. I mean the big money is getting room and board and I know that won't happen, but getting tuition would be ah-mazing.

I had also never heard of eye cancer either. What is being communicated is that they don't expect Phil to survive past the next six to 12 months. I'm sure they will be chasing treatments and we will all pray, but everyone is scrambling to put some people and plans in place. It's been scary and stressful. The thoughts of bringing in an outsider is stressful - It's been a Raimondo at the helm for 30 years and CEO's don't grow on trees and bringing in non-family will definitely change the dynamic. Of course, change can be good, but it will certainly be stressful.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    And - wow - Phil passed last night. Stunned. I'm very sad for his family and freakin' terrified for the 1000-plus of us who work here.

Hugs.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Im sorry to hear he passed. That was sudden. I hope your company will be in good hands and jobs stay intact.
    I took a bad fall on Saturday. I was getting ready for the gathering after the burial. I went to get on a chair at the kitchen table to cut veggies. The chair leg got caught on a rug and as I sat, the chair leg broke and I went down. Smacked my spine, neck and head against the wall. I have a goose egg on my head and took muscle relaxants all weekend. I saw the chiropractor today. Tonight I took a hot bath with epsom salts.
    The graveside service was nice and everyone came to our house after.
    This week I get ready for my MN friends to arrive next Sunday.