The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    great job on the deep clean Jenny - I am so overdue for one as well - with all the fair stuff it's really out of hand - I am totally with you on the pets - I enjoy them (obviously I had five at one time, not smart) but once the two (and then were two) are gone I am done. It will be awhile these last two are still relatively young and since I witnessed the one cat get to almost 18 it could be awhile.

Most of our projects are baking because I have a hard time keeping them interested in the static stuff long enough to get them done well. With baking its a few big days instead of a constant steady stream for weeks. We did do a 'recycled' project where they took old lego's and made their initials out of them and then we slapped them in a shadow box - those did really well surprisingly. My niece had I think five things in the reserve/grand champion circle and both the grand and reserve rosettes for baking in open class. Such a slacker. ;>) I truly adore the booth this year. Each year my sister does a great job on the booth - but it is usually just her and another putting it together because she is not great at preplanning so she starts on it that day and just works until they close the hall and it has always been cute - a ton of work for her and since I still work that day so she can stay at fair but the kids aren't really involved. This year we gained a couple of new/different members from another club that didn't have enough to maintain a separate club and so she was forced to try to be more organized and the booth was planned and discussed before. Each of the kids took part in creating part of the decorations and while Michele still did the bulk of the putting it together - it feels much more like the 'kids' booth.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I see everyone has been extremely busy lately as myself. ANG - good luck with unpacking as that is such a chore at the best of times. I am glad you like your new diggs.

Jenny - Welcome home, and I know what you mean about too much family and conversation, sometimes you just need alone time.

Marla - I can't believe its Fair time again and I see you are deep in baking and winning awards!

We are back from sailing now, we got home on Wednesday and all I have been doing is laundry.
    I did take in a yoga class last night and this morning. We did some biking when were away so exercise was still part of the vacation. We are home for a few days now until the weekend and then leaving
    Monday to go to the cottage again. Dave and Tom , he is coming up from Wednesday to Sunday, will be taking down the old outhouse which is falling down and dismantling the herb garden. We are trying to downsize the responsibilities of this cottage since Dave is the only one in the family taking care of it since his mom can't at the age of 90 now. I am booking two yoga classes while there and will be walking and doing some fishing while there. I will have internet, while it is spotty, I can at least play my games and check in here.

Well back to folding laundry and putting it away. I will get to see Isaac on the way up and back from the cottage. Bonus!!

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,279 Member
    Options
    After browsing the internet for two days, I finally purchased the new bathroom fixtures and coordinated them. I also put my name in for Home Depot to come and do an estimate on the work in the upper bathroom. Our regular guy is really busy and he just won't get it done in a timely manner. I want at least two estimates.

Not much new here. All my blood work from my physical came back normal so no concerns there. Now to shed some pounds!

One more week off of work. I may begin painting Russ' dresser next week. I haven't decided if I want a project to do or not.

Have a nice night!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Ang is probably knee deep in boxes and unpacking. Marla is adorning all her awards from the fair and
    Jenny is loving her one week left of vacation and if you don't get that dresser painted it will always be there for another time, remember Fall and winter.

I am all packed and leaving tomorrow for the cottage and can't wait to see my monkey man, Isaac and hug him and kiss him.

I will be going for my walk shortly even though today is usually my down time. We went out for breakfast this morning and tomorrow is weigh in day, scary! Dave says we eat too much at one sitting and will be cutting down our portions. We are not having any snacks this trip or ice cream just our healthy meals. Maybe I can lose on a holiday week, we shall see.

Enjoy the day, sunny here and low humidity. :D

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    We have been eating out too much due to not being organized after our trip. I've cooked some meals but the weekend we did not do well.

I've decided to paint my hallway bench first since it is a small project and is seen by anyone who enters my home. We need Jeff to help Russ move the dresser to the garage and I have not contacted him about it. Maybe August break...

Sad shooting here in MN. Another police shooting of a black man who was with his girlfriend and her 4year old daughter. A routine stop of a broken tail light. From what I've read the guy in the car informed police he had a conceal and carry permit as he was suppose to. As he reached for his wallet the police man shot him. Probably fear of being drawn on or a reaction from fear and his finger pulled the trigger. Very sad! Lots of protests here and participants are as much white as black. I don't think there has been a week where we haven't seen a shooting tragedy of some kind on the news in a long time.

I have a chiro appointment which I need badly for my lower back. Too much sitting for long periods on the airplanes. Hopefully the adjustment helps.

Enjoy your weekend Shirley!
    Hi Marla and Ang!

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Morning,

Chiropratic apt. this morning for my monthly adjustment then leaving for the cottage.

Isaac walked 4 steps yesterday! Yippee! Can't wait to see him. I will keep in touch.

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    very busy - but here - SO sad with all the senseless violence and tragic deaths - I PRAY for us all to find the heart needed.

C is off to his academic camp - hope it goes well - should be educational - with lots of fun activities too - super hot this week again though

Z is supposed to have a golf tourney this week - but the storms have left a lot of damage - ball ended up completely cancelled - Zach missed out on a lot of work since he was signed up for like 5 tourney games

stay cool water cooler friends
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    my weight is continuing the upward creep and I am like a deer in the headlights. Frozen. Unable to do what I need to do.

Did some de-cluttering in the room Caleb has decided to move into (was my office) - now to try to de-office it and make a space in my room for office stuff. That boy.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Making To Do lists each day and checking things off. Today I bought my new planner book and entered my appointments through August in it. I'm still painting my bench and need to do a 3rd coat of the cream before I can distress it. Probably wasn't my best idea to layer paint and distress the piece.

I need to pack up both my bathroom vanities, emptying cabinets and tops, taking out the drawers. The new counter tops go in on Friday. Yay! They will be a big improvement. Next the lower shower will be resurfaced in August and I will replace door with shower curtain. Hate cleaning the door. Russ and I will put in the sink back splash ourselves. I know I will need to repaint the bathroom too because the current color is looking dirty and dingy. If I do it all now I won't have to do anything later. I'm still looking at tile options for upstairs bath. Hard to decide. I just know I'm going neutral (whites, grays...).

Marla- hang in there. Are you feeling stressed about something that keeps you from exercising or eating things you don't want to typically eat? I've been eating too much bread (toast in the morning). I love bread! It loves me too!

Shirley- Yay Isaac! He will be happy to be moving about and getting in to things.

Ang- How are you?

Well I need to check my paint and do another coat.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I'd say stress - but nobody is force feeding me - I just can't get a grip

STOP THE INSANITY!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I've been sleeping late every day, 8am or later. I am going to have a hard time getting up at 5:30 starting Monday. Only for 3 1/2 weeks and then another break!

This morning I put a coat of wax on my bench and then helped Russ stain the deck. He is still doing the floor boards. I did the railing and spindles. My hands and body hurt and he can barely move. We can't wait to unload this house on someone else! I'm all for a nice one level town home, detached or only garage sharing a wall. Hopefully we find something like that or a very small house with a small yard when we move. Enough of this!

Rory has one more day on the reserve and then he is done with his internship. They will transport him and any other interns that are done to Quito on Friday. Then he will be backpacking or whatever he and his new friend have decided to do. We can't wait to hear about his experiences. From his last email, he has a lot to process about what he has seen and experienced. I'm sure our way of life will seem somewhat extravagant even though we live a modest life by U.S. standards.

It even hurts to type my words so signing off. Have a nice evening.

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Jenny - Hang in there, are you planning on moving? Lots of work if so.

Marla - My weight is staying the same and has been for quite a while. I hear ya!

Ang - Hello there!

Today was yoga class at the Mall in North Bay and it was only me and another woman. Yesterday I got my times mixed up and was too early. I did some shopping had a coffee, ate to while a way the time
    before noon when the class was to be.

Its very windy here today and maybe some fishing later. It has been very hot with the new A/C on in the cottage and it has been a relief. Its supposed to cool down the next day or so.

Dave and Tom tried taking down the outhouse but two nests of bees were active and Dave got nailed with one. The plan is later tonight, when they are dormant, they will spray and kill them and then try another day. Nothing is easy.

Shirley
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!! I meant to post when I got back from the away portion of my vacation but I got to busy! I had such a wonderful (and tiring!) vacation. The class trip I took my students on was great. They all enjoyed it. There was 15 little piglets (only about a month old), two baby calves and several little lambs. They were all adorable! It was so sunny and nice that day! It was also the LAST nice day of my vacation! The whole time I was at camp, it was overcast and cold! I had to buy one of the camp hoodies, as I hadn't packed anything warm! It was perfect running weather. Also running out in the country was wonderful! I so enjoyed the lack of traffic and no street lights! I got home later Saturday then I had hoped, and was up to 1am trying to get my normal Saturday stuff done. By Sunday night I was wishing for another day of vacation, just to catch up on my sleep!

This week hasn't really helped. I've been working on settling more at my new place (I think I'm finally done!) and have had a couple late nights doing that and one late night making strawberry jam! Last night was the first I got a good nights sleep in a long time.

Of course now that I am back from the away part of my vacation, summer came back and it's been beautiful and warm. Sigh. Not fair!!! At least I get to enjoy it somewhat in the evening when I get off. My basement apartment though is staying nice and cool.

I am desperate to get back eating right. When I eat to much "junk" food it takes away my energy. I haven't had the energy I need for a long time. I so need to get back into it, but I've gotten myself into a rut I can't get out of. I honestly tried to weigh myself this morning, to see how bad it is, but the battery is dead in my scales!

Well I better get going. I need to get to bed at a decent hour again tonight. I'm trying to get into work a little earlier tomorrow. I'm in the middle of project that's taking my longer then I imagined. I want to get in a little earlier, to get it done and get back to the files I need to be working on! I do need to go in on Saturday. I have final report to banks I need to get done. June got so busy, I didn't have time to do them. Then there was a threat of a postal strike or lock out, so I didn't bother. Right now there is a "cooling off" period where they are back in talks. I just hope the they come to a deal and agreement! While I am fine without getting mail (my bills come to my email) no mail at work will be disaster! The couriers are all extra busy as people aren't trusting the mail system right now!

I promise to stay in touch more often!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Shirley- We won't sell and move until I retire, I don't think. We would leave the suburbs and go somewhere else. Not sure where yet. We are just trying to do some updates and clean things up around here a little at a time so we are ready when we make the decision to sell.
    Good for you on doing your yoga on vacation. Did the outhouse get moved?

Marla- Nice pictures of Caleb at camp. Did he have fun?

Ang- I'm glad you had a nice time at camp. Too bad the weather wasn't what you wanted. Do you get any more time off this summer? How do you like your new place?

This whole weight loss, eating, exercising thing is a struggle isn't it?

My new counter tops go in tomorrow. I'm excited to be making some progress. I hate organizing home improvements and finding people to do the work. I wish Russ was handy but he's not. He can do electrical but nothing else that involves remodeling.

I met some friends from work for happy hour this afternoon. A couple of my friends that were there give me weird vibes. It's hard to explain but my instincts tell me I've offended them or said something they didn't like at some point in the past year or two and they now act differently towards me. I don't know what that would be, but I can feel a change in our friendship with one another. I felt a little uncomfortable at the table and talked to my friend sitting next to me the whole time. I have had these feelings during every interaction we've had with one another this past year or two. I really don't know how to bring it up with either of them. Something is just off when we are together. It's hard to explain. One of them acts weird and makes snide remarks about my boys if I talk about what they are doing. The other one was my closest friend for years. We worked together, our mothers both went through dementia (hers still is), and we talked about everything. Now I can barely have a conversation with her. If I ask about how her mom is doing she is evasive and won't talk to me but she talks to others about it. If I'm sharing a story with her and others at the table, she looks off and acts disinterested or interrupts and changes the subject, distracting everyone and cutting me off. I'm feeling a little blue about it because I know my instincts are right. It's gotten to the point that I don't like to share anything or answer questions from others about my family or what I'm up to when they are around. I always end up feeling bad. Venting done...thanks for reading.

Well I'm long winded tonight so signing off. Have a wonderful Friday!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Jenny - so sorry for the friendship difficulties - I struggle so much with interactions myself - I wish I could help! Can't wait for your Rory to be back and to hear about his experience. Pretty amazing what he has done at such a young age.

Hi Ang - glad your vacay went well and you are settling in.

I am still off my whole game - eating and exercising and logging. I feel off and look it. My clothes don't fit and I am very unhappy. But still stuck. Smeh.

Caleb had a great time at camp - and I am super impressed with how it was ran. Very proud of him for getting accepted. Out of 89 campers there was only 30 boys! They had 60 apply for the "FLY" track and accepted 24 - he was one of the youngest. Zach golfed very well and ended up 2nd in his age group. What a relief. He is making great strides. Caleb has another camp starting Sunday - Hunter Education will get his youth safety stuff taken care of and then can go hunting with his dad this year if he really wants to.

Hugs all.
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Raining today at the cottage. Dave and I went to North Bay to do some shopping for my MIL's birthday party with her friends up here. I hope to get a walk in today since I need those 10,000 steps but weather permitting.

Jenny - Dave is hoping to start on the outhouse today but it keeps on raining. The bees seem to be
    not active anymore since he got stung yesterday so he had to something about that.

Ang- Nice that you are getting settled in your new apartment. The vacation seemed like fun, but a good tired I suspect.

Marla - Good times with the boys too, they are coming into their own and you can relax.

Shirley

• jrbanta
    Options
    Counter tops in. They look perfect. Now I'm anxious to get tile back splashes done. The glue is setting so faucets will be installed tomorrow.

I took the dogs to the dog park for an hour. We walked the route two times around. They are beat and my knees got a workout since a lot of the ground surface is sandy.

Marla- I'm glad Caleb had fun and Zach did well in his tournament. Fun memories!

Shirley- have fun planning the birthday party. Good job on your walking.

TGIF!

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    We are back from the cottage as of yesterday. We didn't stop to see Isaac on the way back because my MIL was sick the night before with the runs to the bathroom so we took her straight home. She called this morning and after a good night's sleep she is feeling much better.

We had a good week at the cottage, some rain, some very hot temperatures. We did get a fish fry on Sunday night with fresh fish and the birthday party was a success.

Today is finishing up laundry, watered all the plants and weeded the garden, now to clean the kitchen and bathroom.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Too bad you didn't get to see Isaac, Shirley. Hopefully soon.

Very hot here and getting up to close to 100 by Thursday and 90's on Friday. Tonight I host knitting group but I don't think we will sit on deck unless they want to. I'm serving cold stuff. Fruit bowl, veggies and dip, kale salad, chicken salad, croissants, frozen yogurt/cookies. Beergaritas, lemon infused water, chilled wine...

I get to leave work in an hour since I came in at 7am. I have a lot of fruit and veggies to cut.

Just wanted to say hi. I'm getting myself back on track with my eating and will increase exercise as time and weather permits.

Have a nice evening!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    hope all is well - Caleb is at Outdoor skills camp this week - pics look good - been reading some posts from moms in Calebs class about bad viral thing going around - sounds a lot like West Nile - then I see the pics with bug bites all over his legs... I hope he is not only having fun - but staying well and doesn't come home with anything other than some itching!

My house is stressing me out - trying to move things around so Caleb can come upstairs - I miss the days where we had nothing (furniture) -

I made Zach drive the route he will take to school yesterday three times and the first two times went well and the last time - NOT well. This.is.stressing.me.out.

Awful hot. Over 100 heat index - hope Caleb is staying cool - our plant is an oven

Off to pick him up tomorrow - and going to take them shoe shopping I think. And out to eat - because yeah I'm gonna. I asked Bernie why he didn't take me (us) out Sunday after dropping C off (we were alone and near better places to eat than in Columbus) and he was like why would I want to do that. Never mind.

Stay cool cooler girls!!

I want a beergarita now.