The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    temps dropping - looking for 70's this weekend. Yes baby.

nothing else good at the moment.

Take care dear J.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Busy week. Saw a play at the Guthrie Theater last night with my theater group. It was hilarious and the most upbeat play we've seen for a long time. Next season starts in October. We have some more light hearted ones this year (musical, comedies, love story, etc.). Book club tonight but it is rainy and in the 50's today so no pontoon ride like we usually do in August for our meeting. Tonight we pick the books and dates for next year beginning September.

One more week of work and two weeks off. We have a realtor friend coming on Tuesday to look at our house and tell us the must do's for resale in a few years. We've done the most expensive updating already with exception of furnace and siding/windows. We don't want to do those things if not necessary. We wouldn't recoup our money. We do need a few more windows since we have some new and some old.

One more home visit with twins and then in the office this afternoon. Paper work time is limited right now. My caseload will drop in September to 7-8 kids and then I will get all new ones/families. My current kids are moving on to preschool settings for their services.

How is Sylvan going? Has Zach started?

Take care Marla. Enjoy the temps!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Sylvan will start in a couple of weeks - right before his year starts (his year starts late due to the construction issues from the last year with the new high school and the middle school remodel)

A few appointments this afternoon for Caleb - his year starts soon!

Hope you get good news from the realtor - I am thinking about all that 'should' be done before graduation. And laugh because I know nothing will.

Is it still blazing hot for you? The temps are amazing right now.

• mizpaden74
    Options
    have a great weekend dear J
  • jrbanta
    Options
    The weather is perfect! AC is off, sun is out, nice breeze...the best.
    TGIF!! One more week and then break again. I know I'm spoiled but I love my breaks.
    Have a wonderful weekend Marla!

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Today I took a car load of clothes, shoes and purses to Savers. Always feels good to unload stuff not being used by us but someone else may need.

Tackled clutter today inside the house while Russ trimmed bushes and weeded the front yard. I also washed 8 windows on the inside, vacuumed shades and screens and wiped down the screens on inside and out. More windows to do but I did the worst of them today. Tomorrow more weeding, trimming and inside cleaning.

We went to a great Vietnamese restaurant tonight that was recommend to my by a Hmong family I visit weekly. It will now be our go to for Asian food. Wonderful!

Relaxing in my pj's, reading, and catching up on FB, MFP.

Hope your weekend is a good one Marla!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I've got a bunch of stuff to take in for donation as well.

Bernie went and golfed at the schools sports boosters golf tourney Saturday. I had told him for the last three years to do it (name recognition) and finally this year he listened - and he had a great time. I told him to see if his little brother could come and I would pay the fees. It was a nice day for them. Unfortunately it cost me a lot more than I anticipated - he ended up buying a membership and some other golf rounds nearby - which I ultimately don't really mind since it will be good for the boys as well. They can now go play anytime which could help their games for school.

I scrubbed boys bathroom Saturday and paid for it the rest of the weekend. My back just spasmed and killed me. It also made my bladder act up. I don't know if it was a pain reaction or a 'flare'. Not real happy at the moment though.

Here's to a great week. Just a little bit of 'summer' left.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Busy week! It's my last week of work and I'm anxious for it to be done. I'm saying good-bye to all but 4 students this week. They are going on to preschool and leaving my caseload. So I've had many last visits with parents and kids.

Tuesday afternoon we had a realtor friend come look at our house inside and out to let us know her opinion on the "must do's" to get it ready to sell in a few years. She said not much on the inside but we needed to take care of the siding (replace bad boards/paint, front landscaping by replacing the mulch) and sealing the driveway. Overall, not too much to do but stage it when the time comes and do some more decluttering.

Rained buckets today! We needed it but I felt damp and cold most of the day. I used my heated seats in the car to take the chill away. Walked at the lazy river last night and my knees have really felt it.

That's nice Bernie joined the club so the kids and hopefully him will play more golf together. Has Caleb started school or is that next week? How are you holding up Marla?

Sorry you hurt your back and feel the bladder issue get worse again. They have to get some answers for you.

Take care of yourself and try to do something for you.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    sounds like the news from the realtor wasn't anything too overwhelming - that's great! When I think about all that is not done and will need to be re-done I just sigh and shake my head.

It's got to be hard losing the kids you know - hopefully you will get new ones that you enjoy working with.

Caleb starts school next Wednesday and we finally tracked down the middle school football info and it starts next Wednesday as well. Oy! I hope he enjoys it - the schedule looks to mean he won't be able to do Immanuel soccer. Sniff. He already had his last soccer game as an ILS kid - last year. Gonna miss that too.

Zach's first draft of class schedule came earlier this week. They put him in both autos 101 and autos 201 at the same time. I wasn't really excited about that. Not surprised that the ones I tried to tell his counselor last year I wanted to be considered - because she wouldn't engage with me. I am still so bitter and upset at the lady he had last year. I tried to tell her he was in trouble and I was worried about him and all I got was, 'we'll just wait and see..." That worked well. I let it go, and it crashed and burned. I can't change the past and neither can Zach, fortunately Zach has been moved to a different counselor whom I think may be more engaged (as a whole I am deeply disappointed in the schools guidance dept) - but "lew" has answered all my emails (the other never did) and when I contacted him about the autos and how I had tried to talk about an engineering track and she shut me down - Lew was able to get him into Eng concepts 1st semester and Basic Electronics 2nd semester and then only the Autos 101 in 1st semester. I think it is a much better plan. He still has physics, pre-calc, english, gov't, am history, but these electives I think are better - Zach seemed pleased too. I am still a bucket of nerves and anxiety thinking about this year - but his head seems ok so far. He'll start going to Sylvan four hours a week when school starts as well. That's going to cost a fortune, but if it gets him back to his potential it will be worth every penny.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Marla, it sounds like you've been busy getting the kids' schedules in place for Fall. I hope Zach finds Sylvan helpful and it's money well spent. Study skills are important for college and hard to learn if you didn't need to study too hard in high school.

I'm done with work for two weeks! I worked so hard today. Started at 7am with my last student this week. Used a gift card at Caribou afterward to celebrate being done with the 7am visit! I worked hard at my desk all day and got everything done. I put on 2.5 miles just walking from my car and then up and down the long hall umpteen times going to the file room, copier, printer, etc. I worked through lunch so I could get out of there at a decent time. I left by 3pm so I was happy with that. Russ and I went out for a cold beer and pizza at a country bar we like. Out of the way and very friendly people there.

This weekend we are getting ready for camping next week. I need to vacuum camper, make the bed, and put our clothes in the wardrobe. We need to meal plan and shop for food/drink. Our inflatable kayaks arrived so we need to take them out of the box and inflate to check they are ok. I don't think we will use them on this camping excursion but we will go somewhere next weekend and toodle around in the water.

Well have a wonderful weekend! Temps are more tolerable here now.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Did some packing for camping today. Our meal planning, grocery shopping, stocking trailer with my clothes and some food, etc. is done. Russ still has to get his clothes and raincoat in there and tomorrow we will pack the truck with supplies, coolers, etc. Hopefully rain holds off until Wednesday after we leave campground.

I didn't make it to lazy river this weekend. Possibly tomorrow morning if it isn't cool out. I still want to sweep and mop the camper floor before we take off.

Hope you had a nice weekend Marla. I don't know if I'll be in touch until Wednesday eve.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    weekend was pretty good for the most part - folks stopped by for a weird visit - she said she wanted me to have her mothers ring, but then goes - but I'm not done wearing it yet. "I know, you need to keep wearing it" - I'm guessing the funeral she went to last week is on her mind - or she is losing it

Caleb goes back to school tomorrow!

Had my annual labs drawn today - appointment next week - I know my weights up - hopefully the numbers aside from that are ok -

hope you are off for a relaxing adventure
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Home from camping. We had a relaxing, short trip. We only drove 20 minutes away so not long on the road, LOL! That was our last in town trip for this season. In 4 weeks, we head to southern MN. We had good weather except it rained in the night and was very wet this morning. We knew the rain was coming so we packed up all outside gear last night and put it in the truck. Nothing worse than having to put away wet stuff or wipe it all down. It was raining off and on this morning so we had an inside breakfast and watched the news on the TV. Still learning and have a list of items that would help with our routine, making less work for us as we camp and more time for relaxation. I think I will need to be in charge of packing the food. Russ forgot two items we planned on for last night's dinner. Not a big deal but he isn't very organized. The dogs did better this time so I think they are learning what camping is about for us.

Now I have to go grocery shopping because I host knitting group tomorrow night. I will have to clean bathroom and vacuum tomorrow before they arrive in late afternoon. I'm serving a spinach/pasta salad, caprese salad, and a put your own green salad together. Strawberry/angelfood cake trifle for dessert. We hope to walk the lazy river after we knit.

I can't believe Caleb has school today. What a fast summer! I hope he likes his teacher. 7th or 8th grade?

Well time to change and go to the store. Have a nice evening!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    8th grade!! Our last year at Immanuel - off to big bad public school next year.

It rained and rained again. A couple of the 'country' schools had to cancel because of flooding.

glad to hear you are enjoying your foray into rv-ing sounds like a good thing for you two.

Football is also supposed to start tonight for Caleb. It'll be muddy if it does.

Later dear.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I think football went ok for C - he's going back tonight!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I hosted knitting last night. There were only 4 of us so it was quiet and relaxing. I spent all day cleaning the house and prepping food. I was exhausted and kept telling myself I can't host anymore with my bad knee. It was a huge effort but all worked out well. I served a spinach/strawberry citrus salad, caprese salad, and leafy greens with add-on's to make your own salad. Simple but work. Next time Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza or a casserole, salad and bread.

Our older dog, Maggie, somehow hurt her back leg and can't bear weight on it. Our vet couldn't fit her in today or tomorrow so I called around and found one who would see her. We didn't see her get hurt so we don't know what is causing it. Yesterday she did go down the stairs too fast and her back legs went out from under her. Hopefully she just has a pulled muscle. She also has some lumps forming on her back that must be tender because when I touch them she flinches. We probably need to have them biopsied in case she has cancer or something else. She has had ticks in the last year that we didn't find until they were embedded in her skin. Lyme's may be a possibility too. She sleeps a lot and has to be coaxed to eat most days. Any money saved goes into cars or dogs.

8th grade already? Wow! Time will fly now.

Yes, camping is fun and relaxing. We are looking forward to our out of town trip on 9/8.

Have a nice weekend!

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    is there eclipse mania there? Columbus isn't in the path of totality - but it should be pretty close - I have to work - but should be home for part of it. Not sure how driving home will work. I brought my glasses with me - preached at the boys don't look at it without the glasses, don't look too long, don't look around the filter - you will irreparably harm your vision if you mess around with it - I hope they took me seriously. I have no desire to be out and about with the millions of people who swarmed into the state -

we'll see how it goes
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I heard someplace in NE had total darkness. I saw Charlotte, SC on the news with only a sliver of sun showing and dark outside, stars in the sky. Jeff is in Atlanta. They had about 90% so it got darker and the street lights came on. Rainy and cloudy here. Only 83% so just seemed like an overcast day.

How does C like school? 8th graders are the big people on campus. Is Z ready for his classes to start in a week or so?

I have this week off and go back next Monday. All teachers will be back next Monday to start their new school year. Mine started in July.

Got my 30,000 mile maintenance done on my car today. Watching an old episode of Hawaii 5-0 from when I was a kid. TV is so different now with color, acting, violence, etc.

We always took our parents seriously about not looking at the sun during an eclipse. Fear of blindness! I'm sure your boys heard you. It is tempting isn't it?

Have a nice night.
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I thought the eclipse was ok - not heart stopping or worth driving hours or fighting thousands of people - but most people seemed to think it was.

Had my doc visit to discuss numbers - mostly ok - although he advised giving up my diet coke to help with my swelling - and I'm like it's my only caffeine! Sighh.... I'll work on it.

School seems to be going ok so far - only a few days in.

Back to practice tonight - there was nothing last night - busy for the rest of the week for Caleb.

Need to make wheat bread tonight for state fair entry. Not in the mood.

Have a great day!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I love home made bread! Good luck with the fair.
    Went to lunch with a friend, got a pedicure, and went to movie The Glass Castle with friends. We read it in book club a few years ago.
    Walked the river. Just got home.
    Tired, just wanted to check in.
    Sleep well.

Jenny