The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Blueberry and apple pies were baked by Kristina and her Dad a tradition which has happened for years.
    The meat pie (Quebec) is baked which I ordered through our choir and it looks really delicious.
    I just finished making the green bean casserole, a new recipe from Pinterest.

We picked up Kristina and John from the bus station last night so they are getting settled. We took
    them down to see Niagara Falls but it was very foggy so there wasn't much to see, they might go back
    today since its all clear. The Christmas display of lights was beautiful too.

We are planning on a chinese dinner in one of our restaurants tonight and inviting Dave's mom with us.
    We will be opening gifts tonight, first time in 41 years of marriage. We want to get a head start
    tomorrow to go see Isaac, after all his first Christmas.

Have a wonderful holiday to each and everyone!!

Shirley
  • Shirley61
    Options
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,264 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas Ladies! I hope your holiday celebrations are full of joy and fun!
    Amy- WTG on your loss. What a nice way to get things out of your head, feel John's presence, and unwind by writing everything down. How is
    your holiday going? I hope your memories and family carry you through it.
    Ang- Good to hear from you. Wow, you have been very busy. It sounds like all your hard work, rehearsals, etc. have paid off. Nice to get a bonus.
    What did Joseph give you?
    Shirley- I bet Isaac likes the paper and ribbon best! I remember those days when the boys were so little. They preferred the package to what was inside.
    Marla- Rory and I watched the original 3 Star Wars movies to prepare for seeing the new one this weekend. Yes, I love Star Wars! It was funny to watch them
    and see how cheesy some of the special effects and costumes were compared to what they are capable of now. Looking forward to seeing The Force Awakens.
    How was your Christmas celebration? Looked like Zach was chillin' with the dog. I hope your evening was relaxing too.

We celebrated Christmas last night on Christmas Eve. Jeff, Rory, Russ and I had a nice dinner, the boys opened their stockings, and we each opened our present from the
    person who picked our name. Russ had my name. He gave me 3 Zen Adult coloring books with colored pencils and markers. I colored last night. It is so relaxing. I've always
    loved coloring and now that it is cool for adults I'm getting back into it.

This morning we ate brunch. I served coffee cake, egg bake and fruit. We are all lazy today. Rory and I are going to watch Harry Potter movies later. He and I love movies!

Enjoy your day and time with family! It's hard to believe we are approaching 2016. Oh and we did get a white Christmas. It snowed all day yesterday and was beautiful. Maybe an inch of accumulation
    of snow, just enough.

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    edited December 2015
    Options
    That is the remote we got him. Sorry his eyes are closed but you get the picture
    how big he is getting. He will be 9 months January 3rd.

aoer6bm474w0.jpg
    Jenny - I also got an adult coloring book for Christmas. Can't wait to use it.

It sounds like everyone had a wonderful time with their families. We had a wonderful time too especially with Isaac. On Christmas Eve we went to dinner at chinese restaurant with Kristina, John her boyfriend
    from Argentina and my MIL. The food was delicious and we went back to our house to exchange
    gifts. We got up early the next morning and left around 9:30am to Kathy and Fraser's house and had
    some quality time with Isaac and exchanged gifts with them. The rest of the family came later in
    the afternoon and we had a wonderful dinner and more gifts were exchanged. Isaac was not short
    of presents. It was a long day and we were all tired so bed was much appreciated.

This morning we had a nice breakfast and then headed home. Dave is napping now and I am tired too.

Have a wonderful day, Isaac is going to another party on Fraser's side of the family. Yes more gift

I didn't fair as well with eating too, I dumped a lot of the cookies today.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Lazy day here. I went and bought a new popcorn popper with my Bed Bath and Beyond coupons. I had called in a prescription to Target Pharmacy
    and went to pick it up. The recording said it would be ready after 1pm. I got there by 2pm and pharmacy closed. They close for lunch in the middle of the day.
    Crazy and frustrating! Why not have pharmacists and techs take lunch shifts so pharmacy doesn't close on the busiest shopping day of the week? I'll have to go back
    another day to get the meds.

Shirley- sounds like you had nice celebrations with family. Isaac is big!
    More snow fell last night so definitely white outside now.

Russ is making veggie stir fry and I'm going to pick up some egg rolls at a local eatery to go with it. They are the best we've had.

I hope everyone is recovering from all their celebrations.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    Christmas was mostly very nice - I am still having a hard time dealing with the fact that I didn't get the boys their big wow gifts. They ended up happy I think- but that morning was hard for me and them because there wasn't much to open up from me - and then it wasn't until later that the game Zach wanted came from fam - and Caleb may have ended up feeling somewhat disappointed overall - he didn't ask for any 'fun' stuff really - and so he didn't any toys - it's a change - I know it's not about gifts - but, it was hard. I am still stewing about a comment my dad made. My mom has lost some weight and is looking great - and while I know he was just trying to make sure we all complimented her on her loss his comment, "you will have to walk 150 miles to look as good in your pants as she does" - just is really making me upset. I am already feeling bad about myself because I am off my workout habit - smeh

they are calling for near blizzard conditions today - hoping NOT!!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Oh Marla! Parents can say the most insensitive things to us no matter what our age. Try to let it bounce off your back if you can. It's not worth the negative vibes
    it will make you feel. You are a very busy mom with a job and a lot to do for the kids and your home. It's hard to find the time to be good to ourselves when we are so busy.
    You will get back on track for you when you are ready and able to do so. I'm still not on track and think about it every day. I ride the bike when I make time but am not good about
    eliminating sugar from my daily snacks and meals. It's my enemy but I don't make it a priority to avoid or reduce sugar intake. We need to be kinder do ourselves at some point.

I'm not very motivated today. I did vacuum the livingroom, diningroom, kitchen and entry and also the couches. I avoided the family room and bedrooms. I hate central vac. The hose
    is 30 feet long and constantly kinks so I have to stop and try to get the kinks out of the hose. Makes me swear and become so frustrated!

I was up early to go have coffee with my two coworkers who retired in June. I hadn't seen them in awhile. We always exchange Christmas gifts. I received a bottle of wine,
    home made sweater mittens, a wrist wallet to use for ID if I'm out walking or riding my bike, and a small terrarium with an interesting plant in it. It just needs to be misted once per week
    to survive. It can be hung on a hook or sit on the window sill.

We are expecting a big snow storm tonight. The southern part of the state will be hit hard and we may get 3-12". Depends on whether they are right or not.

Well have a nice evening. Marla I hope you get to stay in tonight with the snow storm coming.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    the boys are just playing the xbox constantly - Caleb has his youth strength training class tonight at the Y - glad he has to get out of the house - irritated with Bernie that the one thing Caleb really wanted to do was go target shooting and he didn't make time for it - and now the weather is crap - and he gave me another sweatshirt for Christmas - because the one he gave me for Mother's day, my birthday and our 20th anniversary - I really needed another sweatshirt. Whatever.
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Marla - Some parents no matter what you do you can't make them happy. Just forget it and you do
    what is needed for you. You will get back to your routine after the holidays, we all will. Let's keep
    each other motivated this year and maybe we can get to our goals.

Jenny - You received some interesting gifts and very thoughtful of your friends. I started using my
    coloring book which has some very intricate designs and I find it very relaxing. I guess like knitting or
    crocheting could be.

Finishing up laundry here today and we had freezing rain and snow last night. It is thawing already.
    I plan on a Yoga class tonight at 5:00 pm and plan on getting supper ready before I leave.
    I have been catching up on here too and still have a letter to reply to from a friend of mine.

Have a good day everyone!

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    We have about 4 inches of snow so winter has definitely arrived. I haven't done much that is productive over this two week break. I should be cleaning and organizing.
    I did just go through my address book and type a WORD document of recent addresses on my computer. Many of the people in my book have passed away or I don't keep in
    touch with them. I need to start a new book. I'm still old fashioned. I'd rather pull out a book and look up my addresses than have to find the file on my computer. I just recorded them on the computer as a back up
    until I get a new book.

Shirley- I'm glad you enjoy the coloring too. I plan to do some more today. It clears my mind as I focus on what colors I want to incorporate in to my picture. It also allows me to
    think about past experiences I want to remember. One memory was sitting in nursery school while my teacher taught us to color within the lines, LOL! I remember her saying if we made small
    circular strokes with the crayon, it would be easy to stay within the lines. So funny to remember that!

Marla- Have you ever read the book The 5 Love Languages? It's a quick read. Maybe you could convince Bernie to read it too so you could both discuss it. It helps us identify how we make others feel loved and what makes
    us feel loved. Of course, Russ' personal love language is physical. He likes touch to feel loved. Mine is acts of service (chores, do things I ask to be done) and quality time (spend time together doing something
    fun or talking). When you identify each other's language/emotional needs, it makes it easier to fill the other person's emotional bank. I have friends that have read it too and agree
    it is helpful. We talked a little bit about it at book club when it over lapped with another book we read. I remember those days when the boys played video games for a long time.

My feet are freezing so I need to find my slippers. A cup of hot cocoa would be nice too. I love vacation!

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    enjoy - so glad you haven't had to be out and about too much in this crud weather - it hasn't been as bad here as it predicted - but still slick and tough to get around. People forget how to drive.

It's 'month' end at work - but I am supposed to be off tomorrow - hope so! But my folks want to come play cards and stuff and I'm still not feeling like being around dad - will have to get over it - because they'll be coming either way

Maybe I should try to coloring thing -

enjoy your last few hours of 'old' 2015 and let's usher in a big, bold - get 'er done 2016.

Hugs my friends.
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Hello Friends,

I can't believe another year is gone and I still didn't make my goal. I was told by a Reike session that
    I hang unto things including my weight. My New Year's resolution this year is to let go of things.
    Maybe with some work I can get there. Let's post everyday what we did that day to get to our goals.

Dinner tonight at a restaurant and Star Wars tickets. I am psyched to see this movie.

Jenny - Enjoy the last of your vacation! Happy coloring.

Marla - Try and let that thing go with your Dad, some things never change. Enjoy your life and make it
    a good one in 2016. You are always there for your family maybe this will be the year for MARLA!

Hello to Ang and Amy.

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVE

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Marla- my mom was a person with high expectations of her children. She could be very critical about our appearance and personal choices but I don't think she knew who
    we were as people on the inside. I always felt sad that she didn't truly know the good values she had instilled in me and my compassion and acceptance for others different than me.. She was so focused on what others would see and judge us to be. I never measured up. It use to hurt so much when she would make a cutting comment about my hair, outfit, weight even when I looked good. My friend went through therapy because of her relationship with her mom. Her therapist told her to grieve the mother she wanted
    and didn't get and then she could accept her mom for who she was. She said we are dealt the parents we get and have to come to terms with it. That discussion with my friend allowed me to
    look at how my mom did show me her love and forgive her for those parts of her that made me feel unloved. Somehow it worked for me and I was able to accept who she was good and bad. Even with all the bad stuff I wish she was still here and
    had never gone through her years of dementia. Maybe she would have mellowed with age but I'll never know. I also agree that 2016 should be Marla's year!

Shirley- Interesting you were told you hang on to things. I would guess I do to and bury my issues deep. I like the idea of checking in and telling each other what we did each day to meet our goals or acquire better health.
    I will take that challenge as best as I can. I plan to get my Leslie Sansone DVD's back out and continue with my bike. Of course eating is an issue. I don't eat a ton but do enjoy eating
    foods I like.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy celebration of the new year. I can't believe it is going to be 2016. We are going to friends for awhile tonight. They always have a get together on New Year's Eve. We
    Don't always go but we will stop in tonight. The weather is good and roads will be clear. I will make an appetizer I found on Pinterest. Tortilla wraps with turkey, craisens, sour cream and chive
    cream cheese, and baby spinach. Light and tasty!

Be safe!
    Jenny

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Happy New year ladies!!!

Christmas was so good. I was over at my brother and sister-in-laws with my 3 little nephews and my parents. It was a good day. Lots and lots of food!
    I got several things to indulge in my desire to craft. Joseph gave me his Dad's newest book and a rug for my bedroom. The rug surprised me. It's a Star
    Wars mat. This came from the guy who has never seen it and doesn't want to see it! It has storm troopers on it. Right now it's on the other side of my bed
    where it cannot be seen. Yes I like Star Wars, but I don't buy things with it on it to show I like it! Also, I don't really like storm trooper! The lady I rent from
    does sew. I'm thinking of asking of her is she can cover it for me in something that matches everything else in my bedroom. (My room is done in purples, the
    mat is blue). One of my favorite gifts is my Running Room gift card and a DVD that mom and dad had done up for us. It has most of the slide pictures that were
    taken when my brother and I were younger. Talk about a lot of memories while watching it!

Over the Christmas weekend I had 4 1/2 days off! It was great! There was at least one day that I didn't need to set an alarm. I only had 2.5 days of work this
    past week. Tuesday I ended up leaving early as the snow was coming down hard and fast. We didn't have a white Christmas, but we have lots of it now!
    Wednesday I ended up working late as there as to much to do! I had FIVE property closings this week and three within the first two days next week! The other
    property paralegal is on vacation so it's only me for all the lawyers! Most of those closings are only between two of them though. Yesterday I was hoping we
    would get off at noon, but it was 2:15 before I was able to leave yesterday. Oh well. I have a 3.5 day weekend now and two days in a row where I do not need
    to set an alarm! I was asleep before midnight last night (I was to tired!) and didn't get up today until after 10. I have no plans on going anywhere today, so I'm
    making the first day of the new year a "pajamas all day" day! (and workout clothes later today) I have plenty of time over the next two days to pack up Christmas
    and sort my filing cabinet drawer as I do at the start of every year.

It's a new year and I am starting this year right. I'm getting back at eating right and exercising. (Hence the only change of clothes for today) I carefully measured
    and weighed my breakfast. Yes it takes longer to do that, but I need to! I've getting closer to the weight I was when I started all this when what my goal weight is.
    I hope to be a lot closer to my goal weight by my birthday in June. Hoping I can do it!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Happy New Year!! 2016, wow!

We went out last night to some friends and were able to see their new home. It was very nice with lots of room and a very big lot that it sits on. The neighbors are spread far apart (in the country) so it is quiet.
    There was quite a spread of food and I had my share. We left before midnight but I didn't go to bed until 12:00. My stomach did not thank me. Before bed I felt the impact of eating a variety
    of appetizers. Will I ever learn?

Ang- You sound like life is treating you well! I'm glad you've had time off and time with family. Good to hear you and Joseph are still seeing one another. What did you give him for
    Christmas?

I'm ready to make some changes in this new year. I've started off with my cup of Oolong tea (weight loss tea) and will get some exercise in before the day ends. I am going to log food again to
    help myself stay on track.

Sunny, white and blue skies today. Nice start to the new year.

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    We woke up to snow this morning but it cleared on the cars and driveways already.

Star Wars was awesome last night and didn't disappoint. I am looking forward to the next 2 that are
    coming. We went out for dinner and shared an artichoke dip with chips and pita bread and chicken wings. I did have some drinks and did not weigh in today I am saving that for Monday and changing
    my weight and starting again. We leave for the Bahamas in February so the push is on to lose some
    weight. Dave is also trying to lose so it makes it easier for making food.

Today I put on my flannel pants and top and took down all the decorations and cleaned as I went.
    I am really tired now and will go and meditate, which by the way is going great, and then maybe take
    a nap before dinner.

I hope that 2016 brings you closer to your goals, and a happy and healthy year.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Day 2 starting my day with Oolong slimming tea instead of coffee. I rode the bike for 15 minutes but my knees are having a bad day so stopped at that time
    instead of over doing it. I went to lunch with a friend at a Korean Buffet. It wasn't overly filling with plenty of fruit and veggies, small pieces of chicken or beef, and rice.
    We just got back from church and weren't hungry enough to make dinner. I'll probably have popcorn, cereal or eggs later.

Downton Abby starts tomorrow night if you are a fan. Last season they will film. The last two seasons weren't as good as the first 3 but I'll watch this season to see how it all
    ends.

I sorted some of my toys and books today for my job. I need to stop filling my car up with so much stuff. I want to go into homes with nothing or only a book and puzzle. It's hard
    because some homes have no toys, TV is their entertainment. My goal for January is to choose a cabinet/closet every weekend and go through it and sort and throw things we don't need.
    I see some Good Will trips in my future.

We also need to set a weekend to clean up the basement and get rid of stuff again. It's a disaster!

I called my sister who has breast cancer today. Her masectomy is Monday. She is freaking out. I would be too. She will have a 4 hour surgery and probably be in the hospital for at least 2 nights (I hope).
    I hope the surgery goes ok for her. I am scheduled for my mammogram on the 18th. I plan to talk to my doctor about the genetic testing for cancer. My sister had her test but won't
    get the results for 4-6 weeks. I guess only 10% have the genetic marker. My mom had breast cancer 1 time and my sister has now had it twice in the same breast. My other sister and I
    have not had it but we have arthritis/knee problems. I'm the youngest and my arthritis started in my 30's. All my siblings are just getting it now in their 60's. Weird!

I hope your New Year's Day was relaxing. Bring on 2016.

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good luck Jenny on the mammogram. Sorry to hear about your sister I hope all goes well for her.
    surgery. The genetic testing sounds like a smart thing to do.

I will be watching Downton Abby tonight too!

Her is a picture of our little Christmas elf.

zm2bdmyyoa4d.jpg

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Happy New Year - crazy day - here's to the year of each of us!!!

I agree.
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Got on the scale this morning and have gained between 5-6 pounds and has put me in a
    miserable mood. I am the only one to blame so I changed my weight this morning and going back
    on South Beach Phase 1 for 2 weeks.

My personal goal today towards losing weight was: Weighing in and 75 mins of Yoga and
    back on South Beach Phase 1. Remember to post your personal goal toward losing weight this year.

Cold and snowy today.

Happy New Year Marla !!

Shirley