The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    TGIF - we had one 'warm' day of almost 40 - felt like a heat wave - it blew out and the frigid is back

good job with the exercise Shirley - keep it up

WAVES at all -
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    We have a reprieve on the weather today in the 40's F too and then back to really cold by Sunday. I had Yoga this morning a nice class of poses slow and easy.

Today is my youngest daughter's birthday, she is 33 (Isaac's mom). She said Isaac let her sleep in
    until 9:30 am this morning that was her birthday gift from him. 

I went to Walmart after class, my vegetable chopper from Starfit finally came apart and couldn't be
    fixed so a new one was purchased.

We are going to the movie tonight to see Reverent with Leo Di Caprio. It got some awards at the
    Golden globes and is up for the Oscar. I will give my opinion on it if anyone is interested in seeing it.

I am reading a book called Dying To Be Me by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer. I haven't finished it yet but it
    is an excellent book.

We still haven't gone skiiing yet, (1) because the resort we go to started late (2) I don't know
    if my hand will bother me from arthritis. My right hand gets really sore due to an arthritis bump
    forming at the base of my thumb. Sucks to get old. You can't see it but I can feel it.
    We shall see.

Have a good day friends!

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,264 Member
    Options
    Just wrote about 5 paragraphs and lost it all. I'll catch up later. Going home...

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Ok home and will try again.

Shirley- A hot stone massage is a wonderful gift. I've had 2-3 in the past years and love it. I'll have to look up that book you mentioned. Right now I'm reading I know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. I like her writing style but the book isn't grabbing my attention. I have to finish by next Thursday. Let me know what you think of The Reverent. I don't know if I'll go to the theater to see it but may watch on Netflix later. I like Leo but it looks violent and I'm not up for that right now. Maybe I'm wrong about the content.

Marla- Cold here too but today felt a tad warmer. I unzipped my jacket because I felt warm. Funny how we adapt to the extreme temps and the single digits or teens feel warm. Sounds like work is not so great? What's going on? Have you and Caleb been able to do a workout together?

The most exercise I did this week was going up and down stairs at work a few times. I counted 19 steps to do. Sad that I have to use the railing because I'm scared to blow out a knee. It's like PTSD for me. Going up is ok if I'm not carrying bags of files. Going down is where I get anxious due to my accident last year. My legs aren't as strong as they could be either. I didn't feel good this week. I have had an ongoing sore throat since early January and congestion. This week I had body aches for a day along with a worsened sore throat. Went to work but didn't sleep so well at night with congestion and aches. I went to bed two nights in a row at 8am. I do feel more rested today and I have a 3 day weekend. TGIF!!

Monday I have my mammogram, pap and bone density test at the doctor so it won't be a nice day off. I'm grateful I can schedule doctor appointments on these days so I don't have to use sick leave. I am going to talk to my doctor about the genetic test for breast cancer since my sister has had it twice and my mother once.

It is suppose to be negative zero tomorrow with lower windchills. Sunday I will not leave the house because the windchill will be -40. I wish that would happen on a work day so school would be called off!

Have a nice evening!

Jenny
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Winter is here! We got over 15cm on Wednesday and somewhere close to 30cm yesterday. (I haven't heard an exact measurement yet) That's about 1.5 feet in a week. Sunday school has been postponed to our church service hour.

Work has slowed down. Not a lot of people buying or selling homes in winter. It's nice though. It gives me time to work on final reports! I'm so far behind on getting those final reports to banks and clients but I simply haven't had time as I keep getting new ones that take priority.

I've been trying to eat healthier and workout out. I had a day last week where I ate anything and everything and haven't really got back into it. Yesterday I did log "cleaning" as a workout, which I normally don't do, but when you have a sedentary job, and I was on my feet all day doing numerous things around my place, I knew I was burning more calories doing that then at my job!

Jenny - That's cold!!!!

Shirley - I went skiing a couple of times when I was in school for school trips. Never did get the hang of it!

Marla - I hate the cold! It needs to warm up faster!
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Ang - My husband and I were on the Ski Patrol, me for 13 years and my hubby for 29 years. It used
    to force us to get out and ski where now we are fair weather skiiers and have not gone as yet due to
    slow starting winter.

Jenny - Yes..I would get that test done on genetics, peace of mind if anything.

Marla- how is it going?

Well our winter is finally here and it pounding down snow right now. It's -1 C here and I am staying in.
    I am listening to some smooth jazz right now feeling all mello and such. Finishing up doing some
    sheets in the wash right now and will be finishing up my book today.

Don't forget Downton Abbey tonight whomever watches.

Here is a picture of Isaac on our last visit.
    cm39qtcja01w.jpg

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Logged food yesterday and today. So far so good! Trying to accomplish little things I need to get done. Recopy my address book into new book, make some
    materials for work, editing Rory's resume and answers to questions on his internship application, etc. Wearing sweats, no shower, and not leaving the house in this
    cold.

Shirley-Isaac is so big! Does he like the jump swing? I am working on finishing my book too.

Ang-Glad you are getting time to get your reports done. That's a lot of snow. My family in Michigan is having a blizzard right now. They expect 14" by tomorrow sometime.

Marla- How are you?

Well back to it!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    started logging my food again on Friday - the most important step as we all know - it's just that when I'm not logging I can pretend that I'm not really eating that bad - when I do log there is not pretending - it's real!

Shirley - g-baby is so big already! Cute, cute, cute.

Ang - glad to hear work has calmed for now and that you feel like you are on track. Keep it up

Good job logging Jenny - and I think having the cancer screening sounds like a good idea too - it is bitter cold here too - should warm up a bit by weekend I hope. I don't know why but working out when it is so freakin' cold is worse because of the shower I have to take after. I hate getting all warmed up and sweaty and then having to get clammy as I cool down and the into the shower. Ick. Caleb hasn't worked out with me yet - but he did ask to go to the Y both Thurs and Fri - so YAY for that - unfortunately he did not want to go at all this weekend. His JV ball games start this week. So that should be fun - I HOPE!

work is rough right now - so boo for that - I have been really fussy with the boys as I have been trying to do some extra cleaning and organizing and them grumping at them for being such slobs and no help. grrrrrr - bear momma in house

Rock this week ladies!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I have today off but go to my ob/gyn for lab work, pap, bone density test and mammogram. I have to fast until my appointment and it is mid day. I usually try to
    schedule morning but availability of appointments were slim. So water it is. Hopefully I can do it.

Windchills 25 - 30 below! I don't want to leave the house but have to. I'm catching up on Downton Abby and then have some things to accomplish around the house. I'm showered but not dressed
    yet.

Marla- nice that Caleb wants to go to the Y and he will get exercise with basketball. WTG on your exercise. I'm still coughing and breathing through my mouth so I haven't done
    much exercise.

Beautiful blue, sunny skies so that is a big positive of the day. I am also down 3.2 pounds!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    WTG Jenny - keep it up!!!!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Busy day but trying to make good choices on what I eat. I don't over eat so I wonder if I don't eat enough to rev my metabolism? Plus the exercise
    issue depending on the day with my knees.

How is everyone? Getting more quiet on this site. Are we down to 4 of us?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I think so Jenny.

I did pretty ok the last couple of days - getting to close to hitting my deficit -

basketball was fun last night - miss seeing my Zach out there playing - but glad Caleb is doing it. I don't know why I am spending so much time fretting and worrying over Caleb and his body. He is apparently happy with things and I know if I push it will have the effect of turning him against me and making him view me as someone who thinks he isn't ok. It's just that I WORRY so much. Because I was that kid and teenager who was bigger than everyone else. And I hated being made fun of and left out and etc. And while I don't think it is quite as bad for boys - I know boys get it to - because Zach did when he was a little thicker during middle school and I know how it hurt him. sigh.....
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Marla- my mother picked at me constantly about what I ate and that I would get fat. I was an active kid and looking back I was not fat at all. My weight
    became a problem by the end of college (stress eating/partying) and in to my adult life. I think part of it is self-esteem because she always let me know I didn't
    meet her ideal. So you are right, it can give a negative message but that being said, asking him to keep you company when exercising together and serving healthy meals teaches him healthy habits.

I'm glad you get to see Caleb play ball. They grow up so fast!

Busy week with work and book club tomorrow eve. I haven't finished it yet. I need to read tonight. It's warming up here, yay! I'm hoping to use the hot tub again. It's been awhile due to the cold and being
    sick.

You probably saw on Facebook that Rory (my youngest and almost 21 year old) got accepted for the Ecuador internship he wanted so badly. He is so excited and we are very
    happy for him. Of course I won't let him know that I will worry as he leaves the country alone and lives in a foreign country for 3 months. I did it in college and was younger than him and loved it.
    Hopefully he will be fluent in Spanish when he returns. He will leave May 22nd and return August 8th. He wants to travel after internship is over on July 15th. He says he'll have
    enough money to travel for about 3 weeks. That will give him time to be home for a couple of weeks before his senior year starts at end of August.

Well I must do some paper work so signing off. Have a nice evening!

Jenny

• Shirley61
    Options
    Jenny - Yes...I did read about Rory and that is so awesome you must be so proud. You will miss him
    terribly but just think of the experience he will have and he will know another language.

Marla - Just want to say you are back on track and doing great! Caleb will come around, since he
    wants to go the Y that is definitely a start. He will be fine, but I have to agree that if you bug him about
    it he will rebel and you don't want a kid with an eating disorder.

Everyone is doing great and back on track this year maybe we can get to some kind of goal.
    I was going great guns and the last few days up a little so I have cut back a little and logging
    everything. I pulled out the Wii this week and did some strength training, my balance sucked in
    some of the poses. Also I am really sore today from it. I would think with all the Yoga I do I would
    be okay, but no.

Well our little Isaac is standing all by himself now. Only a matter of time before he takes that first
    step. So awesome!

I went back to choir practice last night and we are doing some songs like Somewhere Over the
    Rainbow, Baby I'm Yours (1962) (The Shirelles)Dry Bones, You raise me up, and Hair and a bunch
    that I don't know. We doing two performances one in April and one in May.

Well I better close I have few things to do before Elementary starts.

Have a good evening,

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Jenny - I didn't see your exciting news about Rory on FB - so cool! Congrats to him on all his hard work - he really seems to have his plans laid out and is going after it. Wooohoo!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    feeling drained and done - work has been putrid - was told I needed to get someone trained as a backup (not news) but the one foisted on me screwed something up so bad the other - I have spent three days trying to unravel the mess and I am sure I will have many people with assed up paychecks next week because he corrupted the time and transaction upload - unreal. I was even sitting there watching him - he somehow got into a screen that looks like the one he should have been and flagged everything as done - but didn't actually process it - IT was able to rewrite and re-do one of the days but then HE left for vacation and I have still been finding transactions not processed (along with hours of time) - I have been attempting to run each team leaders people each day and verifying all hours and transactions but there are thousands of them. Needless to say I am not taking today off - and have been on the verge of tears for days. I am scared to death for what is going to happen with payroll next week.

and bernie yelled at me last night because when I finally got home and saw Z eating chicken and there was only one piece left for Caleb I asked Zach if he had eaten it all and Bernie came roaring out that he didn't need my comments - I turned and walked off to go cry in my room. Screw you .
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Marla - you really are not having a good week. Sorry, hon I hope things get better soon. <3

Dave finished painting the entrance way and now just has the large wall that goes downstairs to
    strip wallpaper. He said he will be doing that on Sunday when I am gone on the TM retreat of yoga
    and meditation. Kristina is coming down and John to join me and then I will take them back to the
    bus station for home. They are coming in by bus tomorrow but we still have no time from her yet.
    We will visit with them on Saturday and we are going to order chinese for dinner.

I had Yoga class this morning and now making some chicken chili in the crockpot. I found a recipe
    on Pinterest for some yogurt raspberry muffins which I will make tomorrow for the weekend. They
    are only 180 calories.

Hi to Jenny, Amy and Ang.

Have a good weekend.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    TGIF! I wore comfy clothes to work today, practically workout clothes/pajamas to celebrate it was friday. I was out at homes all day on floors with pets and kids so
    not too worried about my attire. I looked fine but comfort was most important! Crazy schedule, crazy weeks and my old brain is having a hard time organizing it all.

David and Chantrelle will be home from New Zealand on the 3rd. That went fast. They will hang around for a week or so and then head south to visit friends, see the country
    and make their way southwest and back up to AK by late spring, I think.

Marla- Sorry for your stress. Sometimes life seems so hard doesn't it? I don't understand why Bernie was mad about the chicken comment to Zach. Maybe the whole family is
    feeling your stress. I wish I could take you out for a girl's night.

Shirley- Have fun on your retreat. Your house must be looking great with all the work you and Dave are doing.

My eating wasn't bad this week but exercise nonexistent. My mammogram was normal, I assume my pap test was, and my bone density is great! Tomorrow I go to a Premier
    Jewelry party. It's a fundraiser for children with hear defects. Just like the 5K I went to this past fall. I will buy something to help the cause. Twist my arm!

Well it is hot tub time so more tomorrow!

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Well the jewelry party was fun. They did several drawings and I picked some Valentine's straws with hearts on the top. I'm going to make a game for my home visits with them. I purchased a ring, one pair of gold hoop earrings, a bracelet and got a necklace 1/2 off that can be worn several different ways. I also was allowed to pick 2 free necklaces. One I earned spending over $75 and the other was due to the hostess giving her free jewelry earnings to attendees. I picked a necklace for a friend's birthday coming up that reminded me of her. The other free one I originally wanted for me but have decided to give it to my other friend who would really like it for her birthday. I am going to host a party and have it be a fundraiser for the same cause, CakesfromGrace, who gives children with heart defects customized cakes for their special occasions. My party will be end of April (23rd). They have an online catalog so if any of you want to order something let me know. The proceeds go to the nonprofit.

Well I'm baking some cookies so need to sign off. Have a nice evening.

Jenny
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Looking at some of the pictures from the storm in the US and simply laughing at some. I guess I'm just used to that much snow! What some areas got I currently have and winter
    isn't over yet! (Wish it was!). This weekend turned into a beautiful sunny weekend. Though a little on the cold side!! Even though I had my long coat on with my skirt, my legs
    were still bright red about my boots after walking to church this morning. It was about -16C with the wind chill. (That's 3.2F for you Americans) It's supposed to say sunny all
    week and Tuesday it's even supposed to get above freezing! That will be nice!

I joined the new gym that opened in my area! It's only $9 a month. It's small but they have a lot of equipment in there. I can't go today so Monday will be my first day. I can't
    wait to get on that treadmill and run again! I also got a new set of scales for weighing everything. I got digital ones! This one is great as I can weigh in ounces or grams and it
    also has a fluid ounce setting. I can put a bowl or cup on the scale before turning it on and it will only weigh what I put in it. It's been great for measuring today's lunches. Both
    the failed lunch and the "I need to eat something" lunch. I tried a roast in my slow cooker and it was just to dry. I couldn't eat it. :(

Right now I am on the fence about Joseph. I don't think this distance thing is working. We've been "dating" now for 8 moths. I feel it should be farther along then it is. I also feel
    like he's not putting much effort into trying. He won't take Saturday's off and that leaves us waiting for a long weekend for him to come down. I've had offer of rides to go up, but
    what is the point if he won't take time off when I am there?

Anyways, I'm keeping myself busy and trying to stay warm! Definitely ready for winter to be over!