The New Water Cooler

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,802 Member
    ...aaaaannnnddd the heats back. It's really awfully early to be so awfully hot.

Caleb is three days into the adjustment to high school conditioning - his eyes have been pretty big when I ask how's it going - he told me last night the one coach must be able to read their minds because he has looked at them (the freshman) a few times and told them 'it gets better.' Heh. I'm glad he is trying to interact with them. It is overwhelming. I hope it goes well for them. Still wondering where it all went wrong for Zach. He loved the weights so much at first and then after the season... something. Oh well.

I think Zach's grades have settled (or least I hope no more changes) to where they be posted. And while they are better than last year (Thank you God, no D's or F's) I am still really disappointed with his three C's. We had more talks about what happened. Again. "Couldn't keep track of all his work, couldn't get caught up, not enough time," And I just die inside. What is going to be different next year Zach? You said you didn't need the study skills classes from this fall because you knew all they were showing you, but you can't keep track of assignments? You have an electronic grade book that shows everything. I emailed you constantly about missing grades. You always said it was fine. You had time to read,etc. What will be different next year??? So he has said he won't allow himself to say everything is fine and done and will miss golf if he is missing assignments. I'm not sure. I know there is more to try and talk about - he has to be able to track work HONESTLY and do golf. Let's face it you have to be able to juggle things. And it just kills me because I know he has more than enough ability and a piece of me dies every time I have to hear that from a teacher, or see that result of lack of follow through. So, anyhow. It would seem he is a senior. He is driving Caleb and a couple of his buddies to weights and back home. Supposedly studying for the ACT and probably mostly reading books on his phone.

Anywho - mission trip meeting tonight and hair color. I am so meh with my hair. I kind of want to cut it - but I know everytime I do regret and immediately start growing it back out.

Hump day!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,345 Member
    Feels like a slow week. Hot and humid here too. Makes me tired. I've had a headache for a couple of days. I don't know if it's the weather or just me.

You've been frustrated with Z since we began talking on here in 2010. What do you think the problem is? I've known adults that get diagnosed with ADHD that never complete anything and can't organize themselves but when they get the diagnosis and start medication, it changes everything for them. Do you think ADHD is a possibility? Or he just hasn't found his internal motivation? I know you worry about him a lot. Eventually he will mature and grow up and figure out he has to make it happen for himself. Hopefully he'll find his passion.

Will C have to do 2 practices a day for football beginning August? My boys hated that. They said all the work wasn't worth only 10 season games, especially if they didn't get playing time. Rory liked being with his friends so he stuck it out through senior year. David and Jeff didn't.

I went and picked up my cardio walking pass for the lazy river tonight. It starts next week. I loved doing it last summer. I hope my knee can handle it.

Well it's almost Friday. I get my hair colored and cut this weekend. It needs it!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I have thought about that some times - he's not impulse control problems - but definitely motivation and follow through issues - which could just be typical teenage/personality or not.

Almost Friday - and yes the Freshman will have to go through two-a-days as well. It's pretty brutal. We'll see how it goes for him. I thought it went good for Zach and then later on he bailed.

Had my color last night - finally!
  • mizpaden74
    scary times in c-town last night - a CPD officer was shot twice trying to serve a warrant. As of this morning he is stable, but has more surgery coming. It was certainly frightening to watch the FB blow up with the news. Unnamed officer shot, life flighted to Omaha, etc. Caleb is best buddies with a young man whose father is CPD, my brother-in-law's niece is married to a CPD, one of the senior golfers dad is CPD, etc. Small town, we know them all. When the name was announced I was relieved it wasn't one I was worried about, but still feeling sad and scared for the family.

I was in a mood yesterday getting home to see a huge mess and the three I asked to be done - not done. So I stomped around a bit and made them do what they should have done earlier. I announced they will both go to church with me Sunday!! Like a punishment :neutral: We've been in church of course, but usually sitting apart b/c of whoever is singing - so Sunday I say we go together, communion together for the first time!

Zach has ACT tomorrow - I want to do some errands, we'll see - I have big ideas, but will probably peter out. I usually do.

TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jrbanta
    That is sad about that officer. What is wrong with people that they don't value human life anymore? Why is shooting others their solution or coping skill?

ADHD was recently redefined to be called ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), I think. It does not have to have the impulse and hyperactivity component to be the issue. Don't quote me on this though.

My cut and color is tomorrow. Can't wait. My hair is getting so much more gray at the temples and scalp. Not ready to let it go natural yet. We were suppose to go to a visitation tonight for my friends' mother. The sisters are in my knitting group. We would have to drive to the south metro in traffic. We would be standing in the receiving line and my knee/leg can't take that today. I sent them an email telling them I'm thinking of them but won't be stopping by.

Icing now and have my leg up. The elevator in my school broke and hasn't been fixed yet. I have to climb two large flights of stairs (landing in between) to get to my office while carrying a bag or rolling a bag of files. Today I brought home all my student files and work I need to finish. I'm not going back in to the office until they fix that elevator. I will work from the library or coffee shop near my home visits. Hopefully it will get fixed this next week.

Enjoy your weekend. I hope Z did well on the ACT.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    It's my bday!

I caught the boys at a weak moment after Zach staggered in after the ACT and they both agreed to drive to Omaha and go to lunch with me - we went to the Cheesecake Factory. I had never been there before. We had a nice time. Caleb stated he wants his bday lunch there too. And then I told them we were all going to church at the same service and had communion all together for the first time. It was nice. Caleb went to the pool sunday night and Zach and I went to 4-H - so that was ok - I was surprised he actually went, but they were going putt-putting so he wanted to do that.

Football camp starts today for Caleb -

it feels like it is 400percent humidity here in the office this morning. Nasty. Supposed to be plenty hot too.
  • jrbanta
    Happy Birthday to you Marla! It sounds like you had a great day with the boys. I'm glad.

The wind and rain are picking up now. It's been raining for a few hours but now the wind is really blowing. I went to the gym after work and did some cardio and upper body weights. I worked up a sweat so that was good. It doesn't take much for me to sweat these days.

Well the weather forecast for our camping weekend this week is hot, humid and storms. Seems to be the theme for our trips. It would be nice to have one weekend that was nice so we could enjoy the outdoors the whole time, build a fire, cook outside, etc.

My knee felt better today but I am icing it after my work out. After 10 minutes on the elliptical I could feel the discomfort. I went for 5 more minutes and stopped.

Lots of paperwork to get done at work before we go on break 6/22. I should get it done by that time.

Hamilton is coming to Minneapolis. I would love to get tickets but it will be a lottery. Prices range from $79-199 per ticket. James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt are also coming. I would love to see them too. I saw Bonnie years ago at the state fair. I love James Taylor. Again, tickets start at $79 per person. We have so many expenses coming up to repair things on our house that I cringe at spending money frivolously.

Well enjoy the rest of your special day!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    two days of football camp done - hopefully he is less crabby tonight - he was grumpy! last night. It's a lot to adjust to for sure - we'll see how he handles it.

more storms last night - Zach got out and did some golfing today finally too. It has been great having him be my mule driving Caleb and buddies around. Next week will be rough without him.

I think I spent over $50 on our Pentatonix tickets last summer and that was just the State Fair venue which was outside. It was a fun night and great music, but the venue was HOT since it was you know, late August outside. I don't do hot well, along with crowds, so it's not something we will probably do much of. Their is a huge Christian Music concert/festival in Omaha that has so many great acts. And is a pretty good value if I remember, but again outside. So we have never gone. I just get so hot so easy and then sick, sick, sick.

Wearing my compression socks pretty much all the time, so humid so puffy.

• jrbanta
    How do you like the compression socks? Do you sleep in them? I've thought about getting some for those times when I feel so full of fluid.

I don't do hot well either. Humidity makes me miserable. This weekend will be hot and humid when we camp. Ugh! At least the camper has water and air so I can rinse off and sleep in a cool bed. Glamping! Our AC at home is on pretty much all summer. With our allergies and all the pollen, etc., it's just easier for us.

I've been working on my paperwork. Almost done. One more big education plan to finish and then plan for July/August meetings.

Well I'm off to bed early.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    The socks help. I have been known to sleep in them if I am feeling particularly bad - but my feet get hot so it's not my preferred way to sleep.

Hump day!
  • jrbanta
    Where did you buy the socks? I was thinking Walgreens or Walmart?

MFP wouldn't let me in yesterday. Some kind of glitch with internet or server. Went to the gym after work yesterday and did cardio and upper body weights. I sat in a massage chair afterwards.

I'm in my office today working on files. Elevator still broken but I only brought in a few files and my purse. Made it up the two flights of stairs and am staying put until I have to go to teaming on first floor at 12:30.

Tonight my book club goes to the Korean restaurant. I love the food there so am looking forward to it. Sonee will buy several different entrees, appetizers and desserts for everyone to try. She's always so generous.

Tomorrow we go to a local campground. It will another very hot weekend. Hope it doesn't rain so we have to sit inside the whole time.

I hope you have a great day and celebrate TGIF tomorrow!

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    So.Hot.

I ordered mine off Amazon. Of course. I love shopping on Amazon. :>)
  • mizpaden74
    my lackadaisical eating has come home to roost with a few extra pounds. Feh. Trying to find my rope to pull myself back on the wagon. It's not worth extra chips to have tight pants. Right?
  • mizpaden74
    water bottle up
  • jrbanta
    I've gained back weight too. I am avoiding the scale and should get on it and shock myself back to being strict on WW's. I haven't logged. I should either quit WW's or start logging and making good choices.

3 more days of work and a 3 week break. Can't wait! Tomorrow I have a full day of students and then Thursday and Friday are paperwork and meetings to finish up until Jul 16th.

Tonight I plan to walk the lazy river but it is only 68 degrees! What in the world is happening with our climate? Hotter than hell and now chilly. The water will be cold but hopefully I warm up after a couple of times around. Don't know how my knee will feel but I'm going to try it anyway.

I need to increase water intake too.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I am attempting to get back on tracking at least. I am up almost four pounds which is a big problem. So, I have one and half days back tracking. I know it it the single most important thing for me. Is to be transparent about my food.

It was blisteringly hot for multiple days and then a cold front washed through and it is back in the 70's today. Aaahhhh.

Zach is off in OK on his Mission trip - haven't heard anything - so hopefully no news is good news.

Have a great day.
  • jrbanta
    I am up 8 pounds! I weighed in this morning and entered my weight on WW's so I can get serious again. I went to the gym after work and did 30 minutes of cardio, 10 on elliptical and 20 on bike. That did me in. I never walked lazy river last night. A cool front came through and it was in the 60's and breezy. The water would be cold and the air too. I was afraid my joints would suffer from being too cold. They hurt for days when that happens. I'm going to go Saturday morning. I have a wedding shower to attend tomorrow eve after work otherwise I would go tomorrow.

Glad you are getting a break in temps. We are too but so much rain around the state. Lots of flash flooding, washing out of roads, etc. Next week we camp in southwest MN where all the rain is happening now. Hope it's done by then. I'm tired of rain and storms when we camp.

Well lets get back on track and do this!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    we can do this!! track, track, track
  • jrbanta
    One more day and then 3 weeks off! So ready...

I got a lot done at work these past 3 weeks so I'm looking good for tomorrow with what I have left to do. I just need to send some paperwork via email to parents and go through student files and make sure they are in order for those kids moving off my caseload in the Fall. Hand in my conference hours, clean my cubby space and I'm out of here.

I'm off to a wedding shower at a coworkers house. We have a young, new employee getting married in August. My coworkers throw great showers and are very generous so it's always fun to see what the bride receives.

Have a nice night.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    so jealous of your three weeks off - ENJOY!!! Hopefully you can river walk and get out camping without getting washed away.

Zach should be heading home tonight or tomorrow morning. The week went fast on my end. I hope it was growing for him. I always go on about how I worry about him - but he has done two of these missions now, and I know I would (and am still not) brave enough to do something like that - because they can be really uncomfortable living in the situations they do -

TGIF - ready to hug my boy!

Visit to Concordia and Doane next week and Senior Pics!!! OMGEEEEE