The New Water Cooler

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,802 Member
    off to Concordia tomorrow!!

Sounds like the trip was pretty good for the kids. Zach was very tired as he was somehow the one who had to keep Pastor awake on the drive. Mmmm. And a little burned. But, all in all in good shape and said ready to go next year. Yay! They spent their days working in the food pantry, washing buses and painting outside. The girls went to the Mercantile and their fun day was an amusement park called Frontier City - but Zach only did the couple water rides - but he said he just enjoyed watching. But, he was definitely ready to be home. I was too.

We have had so much (TOO MUCH) rain. Lots of flooding. Just like anything. It's feast or famine. Too much or too little.

Hope you are dry and having a great camp!

Hugs.
  • mizpaden74
    Concordia was a great visit. Just what you want. Getting him excited and revved up about going to school. Yay!

Something is wrong with my phone MFP - it won't connect

Hope you are having a great trip!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,345 Member
    Sorry I haven't checked in for awhile. Vacation mode and don't know the date or what day it is. My mammo and pap appt were cancelled on Monday morning due to doctor not being able to come in. I did see my primary for my physical and blood work in the afternoon. All my bloodwork was good and my glucose and A1C were within normal range. Yay! I was down 6 pounds from my appointment over a year ago so she didn't mention my weight even though I'm still too high. She referred me to PT for my knee and an evaluation for some kind of brace to reposition my knee and spread out the wear on the joint. Doesn't excite me. She also wants me to have an EMG on my right hand due to the fluid bumps on my hand and wrist. They may indicate carpel tunnel along with my arthritis. Potential hand therapy I guess. She did mention I should go back to the ortho and tell him my latest issues but I said no for now. I can't deal with them telling me I have to keep moving and this is typical for someone with arthritis in their 50's. It's not! I'm afraid I'll burst in to tears or attack the doctor if they say something like that. I'll snap!

I walked at the lazy river last Saturday morning and Tuesday eve. I'm going again tonight. It's very hot here and will feel over 100 tomorrow. I can only imagine what your heat is like, Marla. The exercise in the river is good for me but it hurts. The water pushes my knee around and I feel it. I can only walk two rounds against the current and then I go with the current. I made it 3 rounds on Saturday and 5 rounds with pain on Tuesday. We'll see what tonight brings.

We cancelled our camping trip to Lake Shetek State Park this weekend. They've had a lot of flooding in that part of the state, on the lake and around the park. Some highways have been covered with water and the lake levels are up and covering docks. Our site wasn't far from lake and trail, both have high water. We didn't want to risk having to drive the camper through high water, not being able to turn around, getting stuck in mud, etc. It's suppose to rain Saturday and Sunday too. Plus I'm sure the mosquitoes are awful, snakes out, etc. Next trip is July 27. Next year we will avoid southern MN parks.

TGIF! I hope you have something fun planned and enjoy having Z home. Senior pics...It comes so fast.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Holy hotness - 105-110 - that's messed up
  • jrbanta
    Just lost my info. This site drives me nuts.

Hot here too. Stay cool.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I officially can't get into MFP on my phone anymore. I uninstalled and re-installed and changed my password while on my pc - and still nothing. GAH!!
  • jrbanta
    That's weird. Have you gone to tech assistance on MFP and asked what to do? Did you get a new phone?

Russ is outside working on the mulch in the back yard. He's doing an area at a time in the heat. It will probably take most of the summer at this rate.

I'm thinking of trying to make strawberry freezer jam. Have you ever made it? My mom use to make it and I loved it on toast. I found a recipe with less sugar on Pinterest so I may go buy some at the market and give it a try this week.

I put another coat of paint on my cabinet doors for the downstairs bathroom. When that side dries I will turn them over and see if the other side need another coat. I can't remember if I did two coats on the other side or not yet. It's been a long, delayed project due to lack of motivation. I am determined to finish this week.

Russ and I went out to breakfast this morning. I had brisket hash and eggs. It was interesting but probably wouldn't order again.

Have you gotten any reprieve from the extreme heat? Hope so.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    no luck on getting an answer from MFP and still the same phone I've had for over four years.

Meh

Well, the rain let up - and the heat is back. Still plenty of areas under water to the north and east -

I have never made any kind of jam - but my mom does and my grandma used to as well - so yummy - and since my grandma was diabetic later on she moved to lesser sugar and it was still yummy.

The college visits went really well. He was super excited by both. It really made a difference being one on one and having these smaller schools who are really putting forth the effort of acting like they really want him. Currently UNL is at the bottom. He hasn't really ranked the others - and he did agree to visit a couple more. Now for the scheduling. Oh the scheduling! (wow that's a lot of really's) :>)

No plans currently for blowing things up - and that's a relief for me. I don't enjoy the loud and the last few years we had to move the event out to my dad's shed in the country b/c he kept getting bigger fireworks that were too big for the backyard - but there is no plumbing out there and I hate that and the noise and the heat. At least when it was in my sisters yard I could go inside when I needed to. Plus he would just buy so much it would go on and on and on and on. It's beyond bizarre because he wouldn't buy any when I was a kid because it was a waste of money. This year they have been making noises about how much their surgeries they had for their skin cancers cost. So, I'm guessing they don't have $500 to burn. I'm not upset at all.

Caleb went with a couple of his buddies last weekend and they blew some stuff up - so I think he'll live without the big blowout.

Time to get fair baking going. Having a hard time as usual getting excited about. But I bought supplies yesterday so I'm hoping to get a couple of practice things done tomorrow.

Since I can't get on my phone if I don't 'see' you Happy 4th!!!!
  • jrbanta
    I made the freezer jam. Very easy! The recipe made 9 8oz jars. They are in the freezer now. I hope to try some tomorrow for breakfast.

I don't like the noise of fireworks or the crowds if they are put on by the city. Neighbors around here light off their own and our suburb and the one next to us have a night of fireworks. The dogs get scared so I feel bad for them. Hoping Maggie's hearing is so bad now that she doesn't notice, but Charlie has decided to be scared this year. He hasn't been for the last 3 years.

Jeff and his girlfriend are coming through town tonight. Haven't see him since March. We hope to go to Atlanta in September and see where he lives. They are on their way to his Dad's cabin for the 4th. We are meeting them for dinner at our favorite ethnic restaurant.

Russ bought a new grill today (gas grill) that was on sale. He's been hinting since Christmas he wanted a new one. I finally said why don't you go buy it if it's on sale? I guess he wanted me to agree he should spend the money that way.

I turned over my cabinet doors and was disappointed to see I've only primed the other side. It's been so long since I started the project that I couldn't remember if I had painted the first coat on both sides of doors. So tomorrow I will put first coat on that side and second coat by tomorrow night if I'm motivated. Then they will be done, finally.

Well have a nice 4th celebration, picnic food, etc. We are going to have brats, potato salad, and strawberry shortcake.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Annual mammogram and pap today. I hate these appointments but know they are necessary.

Slowly losing the weight I gained back since March. I'm keeping the wedding and my clothes fitting, hopefully buy smaller sizes, as my motivation. I know I will feel so much better and my knees will thank me. I have set a goal to walk at the lazy river at least 2 times per week through August and go to gym at least 2 times per week for a 30 minute upper/lower body workout.

How was your 4th, Marla? We stayed home. Russ grilled brats and we had a nice dinner. Rory went to a friend's lake cabin so just the two of us. The dogs were trembling as the neighborhood fireworks started going off about 8:30pm. It went on for a long time. Maggie just sat near my feet shaking and panting.

I have to sand my cabinets with fine sand paper and do one more coat of paint on them. The paint got a little gloppy and left some bumps I had to wipe off with my fingers as I noticed them. I'll give them another day to dry and then lightly sand and paint one more time.

Russ went back to work today. I have another week off so am thankful for the time to relax.

Have a nice day.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    the 4th was pretty good - I baked a few things - so that was successful in at least getting started. Zach hung in the living room and kept me company with the Burn Notice dvd's running. Caleb spent the night with a friend. The day worked for me.

Although I don't love having the holiday in the middle of the week - it feels like going back to work on a Sunday - just discombobulated

I have a funeral to bake for tonight and then the serious fair baking will start Friday night.

I think after fair is over I am going to work on giving up my last diet coke. I have continued to give myself one a day - even though the doc said last year to give it up - he was poking at my puffy legs - I don't know if it will help or not - but I know it won't hurt and my legs are feeling worse all the time. So, time to be a big girl and give it up. Try to. I am also trying to lose what I had gained back. No luck with that yet. Bleh. But I am back to honestly tracking, so baby steps I hope.

Another storm system rolled through last night - brought the temps down for today anyway.

Have a great day!
  • jrbanta
    Do you like lemon in your water? If so, drinking either a warm cup or squeeze 1/4 to 1/2 a lemon in your cup or water bottle and drink one per day. It helps flush out toxins and rid your body of the puffiness. I'm not consistent with it but do feel good when I do it.

I helped a coworker pack up her kitchen in her town home today. She bought a house and moves in two weeks. A couple of us helped her pack and then we went for lunch (she treated) on a patio at the Mexican restaurant down the street.

Rory is home and had a great time. They stayed out on the lake and pontoon for hours on the 4th. We had off and on rain but he said their weather was ok.

Dogs finally got their grooming today. They smell good for today and look so nice.

Tomorrow I will sand my cabinet doors and put the finishing coat on the front side. Hope they turn out.

What are you choosing to bake for the fair?

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Still haven't sanded my cabinet because I couldn't find the fine sand paper I thought I had. Need to get to hardware store but haven't gone yet.

I'm a total lazy slug today. I was in my robe until 11 or later. Reading, internet, watching Drive Inns, Diners and Dives, and doing absolutely nothing to increase heart rate. Tomorrow I have my PT appointment and will go to gym afterward. Tuesday night I will walk the river. I walked yesterday morning and am giving knee a rest today.

How is your weekend? Baking?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I do like lemon water. Does it have to be fresh lemon? I'll see if that helps.

Did a bunch of baking - not really happy with how the bread turned out. And of course all the tasting making me even more heavy.

Caleb has football camp this week. Hope it goes well for him. So big week for him.

We are installing our new associate pastor this weekend so there will be a practice for that and I signed up to make a meal for his family as well. Odds and ends keeping things busy.

The heat comes back this week. :(
  • mizpaden74
    didn't get anything done last night - need to do scones tonight, choir practice and all the packaging and labeling. Joy.

Sounds like the judges (from Monday home environment stuff) are being more harsh/strict this year - maybe I won't take the bread -
  • jrbanta
    I went to my PT appointment. He says I'm a candidate for the Unloader Brace. He put one on my leg and had me do stairs and walk around. It slightly pulls the two parts of the knee cap apart and keeps them from making contact when standing, walking and being active. My arthritis is in my knee cap and the two parts of the cap don't come together when standing, walking, ... at the right point of contact due to weak musculature, calcium deposits and cartilage wear. Therefore, I have pain. The brace felt pretty good so I'm going to get one to wear when I want to be active. He said that his patients all have great results and are not needing pain meds or the brace within several months. The idea is that if I can exercise without irritating my knee and tissue, I will stay more active and be able to go for walks, hikes, etc. without pain once my muscles are in good condition again. I won't need the brace if I can strengthen everything. We'll see... They make them customized to my height and measurements so I have to be fitted and wait for it to be made. Insurance will cover most of cost, hopefully.

Today has been a little cooler so I met friends at the dog park with Maggie and Charlie this morning. They had fun and all the dogs got along. I cleaned the food from the fridge and cabinet in the camper and then watched a Netflix movie. Tonight I'm walking at the lazy river with friends.

I hope the coaches keep the kids hydrated at foot ball camp. I remembering worrying about that because it was always so hot during camp and two a days.

Stay cool!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    full pads today and it is so hot - I have been pushing copious amounts of water on him trying to pre-load his hydration - a bit worried about today - those pads are way heavier than last years

fair entries in - no we wait - hoping for a respectable showing - cause I'm greedy that way

wow, that brace sounds exciting - good luck!! I hope it does it for you. Go-go brace!!
  • jrbanta
    Well it is hot here so I imagine your temps are awful. How did C fair with camp? Hope he drinks liquid all evening to keep hydrated and ahead of it all before morning comes again. How many days is camp?

My friend and I went to lunch at an Ethiopian Restaurant today. She hadn't been there and wanted to try it. I had been there a few times and liked it alot. She took me to Sam's Club since she has a membership through her church. She cooks for church events in her spare time. I was looking for Tone's Taco Seasoning but of course they were out. They think they underestimated how many they needed when all the grad parties were happening. My neighbor had walking tacos at her son's party. The meat was great. She said she uses Tone's so I wanted to buy some. Very cheap and a little seasoning goes a long way. Not over done with the chili pepper either.

I walked the lazy river last night and made it around 5 times. That is the most so far. It was very hot and packed with too many people. I don't like it when it is so crowded. The evenings are the worst. Morning time when I'm on break is the best. Saturday and Sunday are low key too.

Tomorrow is the visitation and funeral for my coworker's daughter who committed suicide. She overdosed on her Mom's insulin and alcohol but her Dad found her before she was gone. In hospital for two weeks but it was determined no brain activity so they took her off life support and let her go. 23 years old...her suicide was in response to her boyfriend dying unexpectedly. I don't know if he also committed suicide, took drugs or what. Very sad and senseless.

Stay cool. Hope you your baked goods do well. Have not received a call on my brace fitting so I will call PT tomorrow and find out what is going on. My mammogram was normal so that is good news.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    edited July 2018
    fair stuff did ok - mostly blues - with a few purples (which is high) - and I think it was the white and wheat bread getting selected for state fair. Which is nice - but my least favorite thing to make. I was surprised the coffee cakes didn't do better. Oh well.

Still so hot - Caleb made it through his last day of full pads for this week - man those suckers are heavy. Way bigger than the ones from last year. No wonder he's exhausted. I picked him up his favorite lo mein - so he carb loaded and guzzled water before heading out to another night working concessions - he's had a big summer already. Can't believe we are four weeks till school starts. I'm dying. I finally love summer where I don't have to stress about every email and assignment for Zach - Here's to praying for a amazing year for my best guys.

Sorry to hear about your friend's daughter. That is so sad.

Great job on lazy river!
  • jrbanta
    My friend and I went to the visitation. Lots of people were there. We went through the line to see Cindy and her husband and give our condolences. We didn't stay for the funeral. We did go to the nearest Mexican restaurant and had a margerita with chips and salsa and talked. Two coworkers showed up at the restaurant so we chatted for another hour with them. A nice visit... It stormed so we didn't walk the river tonight but I'm meeting another friend at the gym early in the morning.

I need a pedicure so hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can make some time and remember to do it.

Hot and humid here. Hard to believe only 4 weeks of summer for your boys.

I just purchased two airline tickets to Atlanta for Russ and I to go visit Jeff in September. It will be the first time we've visited him since he moved there a year ago.

Glad some of your items were accepted to the fair.

Jenny