The New Water Cooler

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,802 Member
    went and did the picture preview for Zach's pics - aw man - that was kind of emotional. I think it narrow it to 25 for his book and picked his yearbook headshot and the big one for my wall. But I chickened out on saying for sure - and will review the shots when she sends me the link and see if anyone else has an opinion (98percent sure no one else will)

Busy week. Glad for the weekend. Unhappy with my weight. Still creeping up. I just wanna eat whatever I want (whines).

Installation for new pastor Sunday and Zach has his week long music camp that he is unhappy about (required in order to go on the choir trip next winter). I think it will be amazing.

TGIF!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,345 Member
    Aw senior pics! Makes it so real doesn't it? Wait until he completes applications to college if he chooses to go. Another milestone and emotional time is the acceptance to a school and confirmation of attendance. Senior year flies by.

Busy day. I went to gym at 8am and worked out, lightly. Worked up a sweat doing 15 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes of upper body weights. Stopped at hardware store for sand paper, went home, took a shower and went for my pedicure. Then I went to a middle eastern deli near downtown Mpls for gyro meat, pita bread, cucumber sauce, and hummus. Stopped at a deli and bought some salads and came home. We are making our own gyros for dinner with salads on the side. I bought a parmesan pasta veggie salad, potato salad, and one other I can't remember. Just small containers...

Hot and muggy today. Suppose to get some relief this weekend and no rain predicted. We've had so much rain that streets flood, communities in southern MN have flooded, and humidity is high. I know some places in the country have droughts and I wish we could share our rain with everyone.

Well TGIF! Enjoy your weekend. I will finish painting the cabinet doors tomorrow! I will!

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    I walked the lazy river this morning. I made it around 5 times and then did exercises in the side pool. I sanded and painted the two cabinet doors and will check how they look tomorrow. I'll have Russ hang them and then see if they need touch up paint. Read my book, took a nap and went out for Thai food tonight.

Tomorrow is my last day off and back to work Monday. 4 weeks and then a two week break. I can do it. I put a countdown app on my phone (LOL) for Retirment Day. It currently says, 1 Year, 340 days, 18 hours, 41 minutes and 11 seconds until I retire.

My doctor was on vacation last week so did not make the referral for the brace. That's why I never got a call for the fitting. Hopefully someone calls this week.

Cooler temps coming Monday. Hope you get them too.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Wow - I can't believe how close you are getting to 'R' day! That's amazing!! You deserve it.

I am so unhappy with myself for letting the weight creep back on. I am feeling defeated. It's so hard to lose. Trying to crank myself back up. I know I will feel better. Just.so.hard.

Zach is at his music camp. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for a great experience or it will be heck for me I'm sure.

A mom of one of Caleb's best buddies broke her leg this weekend. Tough deal. She's a single mom of two busy guys. Neither one drives yet - so I'll be trying to step up and help even more.

Dentist today for Caleb, overdue hair for me tomorrow, Ortho Wednesday for Caleb.

• jrbanta
    I left my computer at work this week so haven't checked in.

Your house must feel quiet without both boys home.

I'm frustrated too with my weight and eating. I'm trying to exercise but my knee hurts so bad I can't sleep at night. I see PT this afternoon but they still haven't called for brace fitting. Frustrated!

Day 3 back at work. Bad pain week so I'm exhausted by end of day. I made myself walk the lazy river last night but I only made it around 3 times.

Off to a visit with a student but wanted to say I'm still here.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I think I am basically going to pretend this week didn't happen.

I am hoping the photographer will put up a few of Zach's photos on his FB page for a 'sneak' so I can share them. I want to put them out there so bad! I thought I had it figured that my mom would want the traditional head shot, because the generally think photos are silly, but she said she didn't want that one. **hands in the air**

I am so sorry you're pain is bad again. I am hoping for your brace to come through and bring you relief.

Caleb helped pick out some meals for this week which has made the evenings so much easier. Just knowing what to make and that he will basically have to eat it since he picked it - such a relief. I am thinking of telling Zach you have $100 (or something), now plan the grocery list and meals for four days.

Feel better!
  • jrbanta
    TGIF! So glad the work week is done. Next week is a 4 day week for me, and then 2 more work weeks and another break. Gotta love this schedule!

I never received a call from the Orthotics/Prosthesis place so I called them this morning. They did not call me back so my PT said to bug them. I called after my PT session. They answered but my work schedule with students is so tight and some visits I can't cancel so I'm not scheduled for the fitting until the 2nd. I called a location in St. Paul and left a message to find out if they have an earlier appointment than the 2nd. They haven't called me back either. At this rate I won't get my brace until the second week of August. My PT doesn't want me to make another appt until I have the brace. He gave me some exercises to start with so I will work on those until I see him again.

My friend and I are going to see the new Mama Mia movie this weekend. It is so upbeat so I'm excited to go.

Do you think Z would plan meals and shop? Good idea to give boys ownership in helping you out and knowing they will eat what they pick.

Rory leaves Sunday morning for his class/lab on Solar Energy in Colorado. He will be gone until next Saturday. It's the 3rd class in his program. He goes again in August and then the last two classes are online. He'll be done in November. He's worked hard to make the money to pay for the program and all his travel expenses.

My house is filthy and needs a good cleaning. These dogs are so hairy and dirty. They just had baths and you can not tell. Maggie is digging in the back yard. I assume we have voles or moles. Our grass is dead. The backyard has always done well but this year it is looking bad. Home ownership and costs to maintain are so difficult.

Well enjoy your weekend. If it's not too hot try to do something active outside to get your endorphins going. May make you feel better. Drink water!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    for some reason I couldn't get to the thread Thursday or Friday. The weekend was ok. I pulled weeds for about four hours Saturday so I am in agony now but it it was the first time all summer I had done it so it was past time for a clean up.

I'm sorry you have to wait so long for the brace appointment. But, with the way summer is racing by - it will be here soon.

Your Rory is so focused and motivated to go after his goals. You must be so proud and excited for him.

three weeks till school starts - yikes!

my sister (who is also my team lead) goes on vacation next week. Here's hoping the world doesn't go completely insane with her offline. She does an awful lot for many people, they tend to act like the world is ending when she is gone. And most of it I can't do - so it's a bit nerve -wracking hoping there aren't fifty people hovering wondering why I can't do what she does.

It's been almost a week since I've had a diet coke. I haven't done that since I was pregnant! Obviously I'm still on coffee but it's a small victory staying away from the DC.
  • jrbanta
    Good for you getting your weeding done. Russ and Rory are moving at a snail's pace to pull out the old bushes, get more mulch and sod over my flower gardens I don't want anymore. There is no lighting a fire under Russ' butt. If I suggest setting a schedule and timeline, he digs his heels in. Things have to be his idea, or he has to be given an ultimatum to accomplish something. I resent having to nag so I just let it go and stay irritated.

We are talking to our realtor friend again next week. We want to know if we should get some of the basic curb appeal stuff done on the house and put it on the market. We would rent somewhere until our retirement. That way we would be selling while interest rates are still somewhat reasonable and be free to look for a place in MI that we can put a serious offer on when we find what we want. So stay tuned on our continued drama around here...

How did Z's mission trip go? I can't believe C is back to school in 3 weeks. It goes so fast. At work, we are already anticipating Fall training and schedule with students.

We camp in southern MN this weekend. Suppose to be like Fall temps. So excited about that!

I hope your week goes well with your sister on vacay.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I still hurt.

Good thinking to be thinking ahead and looking at selling while interest rate and housing markets are good for the sellers. I know around here houses are going super fast. Great for sellers. All the work you've been doing will pay off for sure. I would be sc##wed if I had to sell right now. Basement still under construction after more than 10 years. The carpet in the bedrooms is stained and nasty from so many pets. The outside landscaping is pretty boring since it is just what I have been able to do on my own. Our neighbor next to us just listed their house for 395,000 - I don't know what they got for it - but the landscaping is amazing. We bought our place I think 125,000 - the original owner was also building it and got injured and couldn't finish the place, so we got a good deal at the time. We made some progress initially but like with most things have let the follow through slide.

Ideally the basement needs to finished - it's wired and two room and the bathroom are done, but the rest of the drywall and finishing needs to happen. I hate the vanities and cabinets in both upstairs bathrooms. The bedrooms carpet. So, yeah - pretty much everything that would help it sell. Not that somebody wouldn't scoop it up - but you know.

Anyhow - it is gorgeous here today. 70 degree!!! Amazeballs.

Have a great day!
  • jrbanta
    The weather yesterday and today is perfect. If only it could be like this from April to November.

I am heading to the neurologist in about 15 minutes for my hands (arthritis and possible carpal tunnel). These fluid bumps on my right hand are huge. Tonight I clean camper and pack camper. Russ is grocery shopping and we need to make taco meat. Tomorrow I have the day off. In the morning I'm going to do some cleaning (vacuum dog hair, clean bathrooms, etc.) I like to come home to clean house.

Russ is having second thoughts about selling early and going in to a rental. He looked at some of the rental prices and freaked out and also commented on having dogs. We've talked about this several times and he is not a negative Nellie. The same goes for housing prices in MI. I've told him he's going to have to raise the buying price in his head to get a decent house that doesn't need work. I'm not moving into a fixer upper. It will never get done. He just doesn't get it. So maybe we won't be going to MI. We'll see. He frustrates the heck out of me most weeks.

Well I better pack up and get ready to go. The doctor is in a different suburb and there will be traffic. They neglected to send me the info packet to fill out so I have to get there early to complete paperwork.

Have a nice weekend. I'll check in Sunday night or Monday after we talk to our realtor.

25th Anniversary is Monday!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Yes - TGIF!!!

Men - such a pain.

My wrist has been killing me this week too. I have been wearing my brace at work pretty much constantly - and the other night I was trying to stretch out my back and got onto my hands and knees and I couldn't put any weight on it. Good grief. Because one more thing, right.

Boys went the Kearney for a visit today. All I've gotten in response was it went well. Mft.

Happy weekend!!
  • mizpaden74
    oh and I'm up another pound - so NOT happy - but I will prevail. I pray.
  • jrbanta
    We had beautiful weather camping this weekend. Temps in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. No rain! That's a first for us this season. The state park wasn't anything scenic or special. It was all Oak Savannah forest. I couldn't walk/hike so I didn't see the lake or other parts of the park because they were only accessible by hiking trails. Russ said the lake was weedy and full of algae. It was for canoeing and kayaking only. So I read my book, took a nap, listened to music and talked with Russ. He walked the dogs 3 times or more per day and did all the cooking. I cleaned up.

Rory got home from CO yesterday. He was home when we arrived today. He enjoyed his class and is excited to go back to CO in August for his next lab class. The last two are online in September and October. He liked the course content and did hands on with solar installation this past week.

Work is going to be tough this week with my knee. Walking hurts so much. I'm not sure I will continue to walk the lazy river. I think I'll go to the gym and do my upper body weights and PT exercises instead. I want to walk the river but am wondering if it is stressing my joint and tendons too much. I will be fitted for the brace on Thursday and it will take a week or more to get it. I hope it comes before our next camping trip on the 12th.

Neurologist appt was interesting. He did a neurological evaluation and asked a ton of questions. I said I thought I was there for my hand and he said he had to determine if the cause of my hand issue was neurological or not. In the end he referred me to a rheumatologist because he didn't think it was carpal tunnel. Since I have so many other joint issues he thought reconnecting with rheumatologist was a good idea. If she thinks my hand issue is more than arthritis then I go back to him and he will run other tests. He said I don't have MS, Parkinson's or Dementia at this time. I thought that was a relief since I've wondered about all 3 this past year. Something has to be done about my knee! I can't take it much longer. I don't get into the rheumatologist until 9/19. I had them put hand and knee issues on my reason for seeing her.

Feeling frustrated right now and tired of pain. Simple walking is so difficult. Ok, I'll stop whining now.

Hope your wrist feels better. Do you have carpal tunnel? Did you tell me that already? Are the boys doing a college visit in Kearney?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I have been in a dither all weekend - the boys class schedules finally came out Friday - and Zach's is ducked up. The wrong math, no english and two other things not what we wanted - and she can't see me until tomorrow afternoon when I am supposed to have Caleb at his open house. I have been panicking all weekend. Does that mean he didn't get recommended for Calc? If so, why wouldn't they have told us that in May - and honestly why not - b/c he only got a C plus second semester - not outstanding - but definitely not failing - as I said I am spinning out of control.

jeans tight and other horrors -

I am so sorry you are still having so much pain. I can't wait for you to get your brace this week. And hope it will tackle some of those issues.

I don't have a diagnosis of carpal tunnel, but that is my guess based on self-googling and the fact that I spend 98 percent of my time typing. It's pretty bad right now.

Here's to feeling better all around.
  • jrbanta
    School schedules...always something to deal with when school starts. How big is Z's high school? Ours was huge so not always easy to get class they wanted in the semester they wanted it. Such as pain!

I just got an ortho appointment for tomorrow morning. I need to cancel my morning student visits so I can go. Driving with my right leg is hard so Russ may come home to take me to appt.

I hope your wrist feels better. My pants are tighter too. I'm not eating consistently or healthy at all. I need to quit weight watchers because I'm not logging or following it right now.

I'm giving my ticket to this weeks play away since I can't walk without pain. Sad that I'm starting to withdraw from my social life due to this bad knee.

Hope you get answers on Z's schedule.

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    their school is large for Columbus - 300 to 400 per class - but I'm certain not as large as Minneapolis -

I am trying to stay positive, but the one email I received in response was very discouraging. I am hoping not to stroke out or start crying. Three more hours - send some good juju
  • jrbanta
    Good luck on the class issue.

Long day here with ortho appt, xrays, attempt at an MRI, PT, etc. Too tired to explain it all now but I will when I can think straight. Time for a nap!

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    I took this morning off to rest my leg. I slept in the recliner last night because I couldn't get comfortable in bed. Too many nights of not enough sleep. Yesterday was crazy with appointments and information.

Xray showed my left knee (my better knee) is bone on bone and in worse shape than my right that is causing me all the pain. Weird! My left hurts when I exercise but isn't causing me the 24/7 pain I have with my right so it seems minor to me. I've had pain so many years my tolerance is quite high until it is severe. My right knee hasn't changed much since the last xray 4 years ago but part of it is bone on bone and cartilage still in tact in another area. So he ordered an MRI of the right knee to see if there are tissue/meniscus issues. I was able to get a 1pm appt for the MRI. It didn't go so well. The position my knee had to rest in for the MRI caused excruciating pain. I couldn't hold my knee still to get a good image on 3 different tries. The tech suggested I get a muscle relaxant from the doctor to take before the MRI. He has refused to prescribe a muscle relaxant and thinks I should give it a few days because my pain will subside and I can try again. I wrote him an email saying it has only gotten worse over the last weeks and I'm on my feet all day so the pain does not subside. No response from him so I haven't scheduled another MRI.

In the mean time I had also updated my PT on what was going on. He was going to loan me a brace to get me through until I can be measured and pick mine up. I stopped in to get it and he had changed plans. He called the Orthotics/Prosthetics Clinic and asked if he could measure, call in the numbers and expedite the making of the brace. They said yes so I can skip the measuring appt and pick up brace. I was told to call them to schedule an appt to pick up and have final fitting for brace. I did and they offered next Tuesday at a time I can't go. The next appt is next Friday afternoon so I have a whole week to wait for the brace. If MRI shows meniscus issues, etc. then I have decisions to make. PT is recommending I give brace a try, get a second opinion from another orthopedic doctor before having any surgery done. This is all for my right knee. The left knee is a whole other issue I didn't know I had. Doctor is more concerned for left knee and says it's ready for a knee replacement. It doesn't hurt most days. If I went on a long hike or worked out, yes it would. But everyday life is not affected when I'm just walking. A part of me thinks I should do it while I still have good insurance and before retirement. Confused? I am!

How is it going with class scheduling? Hope you got some changes in the right direction.

Did I tell you we met with our realtor friend again? We may be going ahead with some minor fixes on our house and selling as is with other issues. Potentially put it on the market early October. We'll see. It all comes down to the fire lit under Russ' butt. He needs to finish the landscaping project, call for some bids on siding repair and painting, etc. I need to start sorting stuff and cleaning out closets, basement, ... Stay tuned!

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Oh my dear J that sounds very stressful and painful. I hope your day of rest today calms things down and that you get some answers and relief soon.

I got Zach's schedule taken care of - sort of. He has what he needs and we didn't have to drop choir - but he ended up with three classes that weren't wants or alternative wants - it was frustrating. She just wanted to plug in the holes - and I am annoyed at having to 'just throw something in there' - if he can't have classes he wants (b/c they are supposedly full) - then put him in study hall or aide. Well CPS doesn't do study hall. I just find it head-shaking putting him in a class that he probably won't be successful in just because he has to have a class. Not a required class. Just a class. Good grief. And his counselor just kept saying, "well I'm new at this so..." and I'm thinking, great - you're in charge of my senior and his college and scholarship info. Perfect.