Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Awesome!!!
  • jeanona
    jeanona Posts: 158 Member
    I also need to try coconut oil to keep me going till dinner time. Well done on the loss Bob!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Woohoo!! Great result!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited February 2018
    Week's Report: SW 252, 6' 1/2", 56

Date / Weight
    01/19/18 - 198
    01/26/18 - 199
    02/02/18 - 198
    02/09/18 - 196

Exercise
    Run - Fri, Mon, Wed (3.5 miles/day including some long intervals, hills, and short fartlek)
    Weights - Sat, Tues (just push-ups and lat pull-downs for now)
    Cycle - Sat (short 3-miles or so)

I eat about 3/4 tsp of coconut oil before I run to fuel me after the fast. Works for me. Hope it isn't bad for me. I do weights after dinner.

Number of OMAD days (20:4 or so for me)
    7 (ate approx 1/2 tsp coconut oil one day where I got real hungry)

Notes
    Was down to 195 yesterday but ate a lot last night and so am only going to claim 196 this week. Still a good week with a 2-lb loss. Going 13 straight days of OMAD. I did a full pull-up with the scouts last Tues eve! The little bit of lat pull-downs are working. Three weeks ago I couldn't do one. Now on to two pull-ups!
  • blambo61
    Just did my blood pressure 3 times:

110/70
    107/66
    109/70

Lot's better than 147/97 which is about where I was before I started the diet! It is worth it!
  • Jim_fbr
    Jim_fbr Posts: 251 Member
    That's great Bob. You're progressing so well.
    Congrats.
  • Brendalea69
    I'm glad you posted a chart, I like to look at the numbers...Awesome work and your blood pressure shows just how well you are doing :]
  • blambo61
    Thanks Jim and Brenda, appreciate it!
  • minigrrll
    Awesome blood pressure results. I read a while back somewhere that the "normal" number (i.e. 120/80) is actually only normal in our high blood pressure society and that very much lower numbers are really what we should be aiming for, so it looks like you are right on the money there!
  • blambo61
    edited February 2018
    I gotta try that coconut oil thing - though the physical hunger doesn't bother me, more the mental hunger...do you find it helps in any way with that?

I mostly get physical hunger and it helps with that. About the only mental hunger I get is when I'm really stressed but if I just work harder it usually takes care of it so I don't struggle with that much so I'm not sure if it would help me there or not. Boredom can be a problem also but I've been very busy lately so that hasn't been an issue either.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I gotta try that coconut oil thing - though the physical hunger doesn't bother me, more the mental hunger...do you find it helps in any way with that?

I mostly get physical hunger and it helps with that. About the only mental hunger I get is when I'm really stressed but if I just work harder it usually takes care of it so I don't struggle with that much so I'm not sure if it would help me there or not. Boredom can be a problem also but I've been very busy lately so that hasn't been an issue either.

Fair enough - i can deal w the physical hunger for days...I'd venture to say weeks even...no issue whatsoever...that there mental hunger is a bit** though!
  • minigrrll
    blambo61 wrote: »

Fair enough - i can deal w the physical hunger for days...I'd venture to say weeks even...no issue whatsoever...that there mental hunger is a bit** though!

Yup! Same here. Half the time I start eating just because it's "time to eat" when really, I'm not physically hungry at all...
  • rs2332
    rs2332 Posts: 116 Member
    Great progress. I usually have coconut oil coffee and it blunts my hunger for good 3 to 4 hours!
  • blambo61
    edited February 2018
    Week's Report: 6' 1/2", 56

Date / Weight
    09/06/15 - 252
    12/31/15 - 220
    12/31/16 - 210
    12/31/17 - 200
    01/26/18 - 199
    02/02/18 - 198
    02/09/18 - 196
    02/16/18 - 196

Exercise
    Run - Fri, Mon, Wed (4.0 miles/day including some long intervals, hills, and short fartlek)
    Weights - Sat, Tues (just push-ups and lat pull-downs for now)
    Cycle - Sat (short 3-miles or so)

I eat about 3/4 tsp of coconut oil before I run to fuel me after the fast. Works for me. Hope it isn't bad for me. I do weights after dinner.

Number of OMAD days (20:4 or so for me)
    7 (ate approx 1/2 tsp coconut oil one day where I got real hungry)

Notes
    Was down to 195 yesterday but ate at a restaurant last night and was back to 196 this morning. I think I will see that 1-lb loss later. Going 18 straight days of OMAD (last report should have been 11 and not 13). Did 52 consecutive pushups today in 1-set at a contest at work. I'm making some progress there.

Got back blood panel: Triglicerides - 71, HDL - 60, HDL - 118, Total Cholesterol - 190 so that is all looking good. My tri is usaully twice that so that was big improvement, the LDL stayed about the same and the HDL improved.
  • sunnycobayo
    sunnycobayo Posts: 236 Member
    Nice to see your plan so clearly laid out and organized! I do have a question about exercise... I know you eat within a four hour window, and is part of that because you find it necessary in order to get all of the nutrients you need to sustain so much physical activity? I currently don't exercise too much (outside of 15-20 minutes on my elliptical a few mornings each week), but I'm curious if increasing my physical activity would be fine while I'm following 6 days of OMAD/week (with only one "cheat" day).

Sorry if I worded that poorly or if my thoughts were confusing, haha... looking forward to any advice or tips you can share. :)
  • blambo61
    edited February 2018
    Nice to see your plan so clearly laid out and organized! I do have a question about exercise... I know you eat within a four hour window, and is part of that because you find it necessary in order to get all of the nutrients you need to sustain so much physical activity? I currently don't exercise too much (outside of 15-20 minutes on my elliptical a few mornings each week), but I'm curious if increasing my physical activity would be fine while I'm following 6 days of OMAD/week (with only one "cheat" day).

Sorry if I worded that poorly or if my thoughts were confusing, haha... looking forward to any advice or tips you can share. :)

I think it all matters how much weight you have to lose. You don't have a lot to lose so I would exercise. If I had a lot to lose, I might postpone it and just concentrate on getting some weight lost (fat lost). A person can weigh little and still be flabby and not have cardio or muscular strength. Physical fitness includes %body fat, muscular strength/endurance, cardio strength/endurance, and flexibility.

If you start exercising your weight loss will stall for maybe a month but your fat loss won't stall. You will gain some muscle but will lose fat and it will appear that your not losing weight. You will get smaller though because a lb of muscle is smaller than a lb of fat. On workout days, you will retain a little water also which will go away on non-workout days. Those things can tend to freak people out but if you expect it and notice your getting smaller and stronger and not gaining weight, you can be assured you are still losing some fat and gaining muscle.

I do eat for as long as i do to fuel me and also because once I start eating it is difficult to stop. If I eat too little, I will have a very hard time fasting the next day. I need to just have moderate calorie deficits or it will be very hard the next day.

Think of things in terms of calories. My BMR is approx 2000-kcal, I get in a bout 200-kcal of steps/day and I can burn about 900kcal for a run. Right now I run about 600x3 = 1800kcals/week and I lift and bike once a week. That is probably at least 2100kcals/week. Divide that by 7 and that is an average of 300-kcal/day due to exercise. Add it all up and my total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is approx 2000+200+300 = 2500-kcal/day. Therefore, I can eat up to 2500-kcal/day on the average and I will not gain any weight. That all assumes that I can digest all the calories i eat perfectly which doesn't happen so I can probably eat a little more and still not gain weight. A moderate deficit for me would be about 500-kcal/day which means I should target about 2000-kcal/day on the average. I usually can eat an estimated 1200-1500kcal in a sitting eating the types of foods I eat and I will snack to get the rest in. I don't count but I used to to and those numbers are probably pretty close. I mainly eat after the main meal so it is sustainable for me the next day and because I still want to and I am often still hungry. Sorry for being long winded but that is my reasoning behind things.

I say exercise and eat back your calories and your weight loss will be the same as it was but be prepared to see a little stall if it makes you eat a little more and your gaining muscle and retaining a little water. Well worth it IMO. Don't just be skinny weak, be skinny strong!
  • Brendalea69
    edited February 2018
    Those are some good numbers Bob, great job!!!
  • sunnycobayo
    sunnycobayo Posts: 236 Member
    Wow, super helpful, Bob! Thank you so much for all the advice! :)
  • blambo61
    Man did I ever have a eating day today. I was having a hard time doing stuff cause I wasn't eating (Saturdays are my hardest day by far) so I decided to have lunch. I'm still eating. I don't know but I'm probably between 3000-4000kcal for the day so far. I haven't had a splurge day in 3-weeks though so I'm not going to worry about it. My TDEE today is about 2600kcal so if I ate 4000kcal, I'm max over 1400kcal which at most is 1/2 lb damage if I could convert all of it to fat. I will probably be 5-lbs heavier tomorrow due to the food and water weight though but that will come off in the next couple of days and the extra 1/2-lb will also if I just get back to the OMAD schedule tomorrow. I probably should have gotten up and done something to distract me and I may not have eaten but then again I may have needed it.
  • Brendalea69
    I wouldn't worry too much Bob, I think you may have needed it too!