Options

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Suzy..major kudos for staying consistent and true to what you want for yourself - we each have our own "kryptonite" so the fact you were able to expose yourself to yours and still stay with healthy choices shows determination to get what you want. well done you.

and like you, I am not looking at how much I have to lose, i'll absolutely be happy if I show a pound gone... but right now... i'm trying to work with just TODAY each day.. I still get on the scale every day, but have committed to only weighing in officially on Mondays now. and, im working on shifting my focus somewhat from daily/weekly/monthy goals.. to just each day.... being conscious of what I eat and how what i eat makes me feel about me.. its been hard this time around I admit, getting out of the negative mindset cycle of why did I let it happen, now I gotta start over, blah blah.. you all know the mind games our heads play when we don't feel good about ourselves; it translates into every part of our life, not just food. so instead this time i am trying to change things up a bit, instead focusing on each day, trying eating well so I feel good about what i ate and happy and encouraged about myself instead... and in doing so the weight SHOULD start to come off too...

carole - I'm not good at the split pic, but googled how to do it in paintbrush and that's the best I can come up with. For me... I see that pic every time I log in, or update my food.. and it's good motivation, not because of how I look in the after pic; but because I remember how great I felt about myself when I was at a healthy weight.. and I want to feel that good again!

Gail - I think that's awesome for the work challenge; and I know you will be able to reach your ultimate goal of 10K per day!!

Susan - hope you celebrated your birthday in style!! miss ya and look forward to hearing how the trip was when you come back!

weirdly this thread shows over 300 views..... wish some of the lurkers would step up and join us :)

Supposed to be relatively sunny and not to cold today, so heading to the lake shortly for a walk.. then have to burn off some calories tackling laundry and house chores.. yuk lol!!

Wishing each of you a great day taking care of yourselves!

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Happy leap day everyone! I hope yours was positive and healthy! I'm trying not to get discouraged. I'm one of those people who weighs every morning and this morning I was up a pound and a half when I was hoping to be down that much. I know. I know....you're not supposed to weigh everyday, the scale isn't the only measure, it could be water retention...blah, blah, blah. Let's face it, when we stick to healthy eating habits and finally do some physical exercise we want the scale to not only show a loss but applaud, sound the trumpets and shower us with confetti! (Note to self...invent that!!!). Anyway...I'm sticking to my guns and not giving in and eating that payday candy bar that's in the cupboard. Tomorrow is another day! Who knows....maybe it WAS water retention and tomorrow I'll show a two pound loss! Hey! It could happen!
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Good morning and Happy March!

Suzy- hang in there. As you know, weight naturally fluctuates which can be discouraging with daily weighing, but it's the overall progress that is what really matters, and sounds like you are doing great :) I weigh daily, too, but like Snooozie, I only record my weight once a week on my selected date.

Gail- good for you for participating in your work challenge. I find 10,000 steps to be sooo challenging! I love the movie where a boss gives her fit bit to her assistant and directs her to get thousands of steps on it for her lol

Snooozie- love the profile pic- great motivator indeed. It feels so great to be healthy! Hope your weather stays decent and you can continue to get your walks in :)

Good to see you on the board Carol :)

I'm back from Cancun and had an incredibly fantastic time! I'm going to do a separate post about it below so I don't get cut off trying to do one long post!
  • seehe
    Options
    jtb4181uwb4b.jpeg
  • seehe
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you kind ladies for the happy birthday wishes. I had The BEST birthday ever! Cancun was absolutely awesome. The Ritz spoiled me rotten with flowers and cocktails sent to our room, special desserts at dinners, and a saxophone player visiting my table and playing happy birthday, and Bob was sweet as can be as well :) I actually had two bday dinners as our original outdoor private casita reservation was postponed to the next night due to evening rain showers, so we ate at one of the beautiful indoor restaurants on the 24th and then had our magical private casita dinner on the beach under a full moon the next night. During the daytime I spent the entire day enjoying the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Walked the beach many times, swam and played in the super clean, aqua colored ocean, and got waited on hand and foot while lounging on the beach. Sometimes different peeps would walk by selling seashells, bracelets , cigars, hats, beach totes, etc. Bob bought me some bracelets and a couple huge conch sea shells which I love. On our last morning while walking the beach I stumbled upon some people setting up parasailing, so I jumped at that opportunity and got to enjoy my last morning at the beach from a bird's eye view. It was a magical birthday and helped me get in the right frame of mind for my sensational sixties ( although I must admit I gulped when I looked at my profile this morning and it listed my age as 60- first time I saw it in print lol).

And now that I'm back, and busy unpacking, doing laundry , helping my son move into his apartment, tutoring, and generally getting back to business, I am also looking forward to losing the three and a half vacation pounds I put on and focusing on healthy living !

• Snooozie
    Options
    Susan!!!!!!!!! OMG... LOVE the pics... I actually zoomed in to about 100+ to see everything up close (especially the bracelet - was that a birthday prezzie??) I cannot belive you went PARASAILING?? you are my hero... well my heroine!! the resort looks lovely; especially like the dining huts right on the beach?? omg! favourite pic is you and hubby with your birthday cake - but I absolutely think you should make the up close parasailing one your profile pic here!!!!!!!! I will admit to 95% being thrilled for such a fab vacation and celebration, and at least 5% totally jealous still LOLOL!!
  • Snooozie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I must have been typing my post above while you were adding yours after the pics Susan LOL.. so glad you had such a fabulous time... and again SO impressed with the parasailing and thrilled you were pampered so well for your celebration! Ya I imagine seeing it in print was a big of a "hmmm".. mine always gives me one of those moments as the time goes by.. but all you have to do is look at that photo of you parasailing to remember life is not about your age, but the ability to enjoy the moments whenever and wherever they happen! and you have that pegged!

Obviously I lack your photography skill LOL.. but I am finding having my before and "want to be again" pics side by side really helping me keep on track right now.. I know I felt the best at my goal weight, and I want to be there again - the only thing standing in my way are those 28 lbs so they gotta go LOL! good to have ya back!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Wow Susan! It looks like you had an incredible time in Cancun! I've never had the guts to parasail...look at you just jumping right into it!!! What a memorable birthday!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    oh wow..... worth the quick read! lol

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/what-are-your-4-lbs

• Snooozie
    Options
    It was a SPECTACULAR winter day here today; sun shining, no wind and a gorgeous day to walk the lake trails.... and mother nature even put on a beautiful ice sculpture display for me - sadly not much of a photographer, but it really was lovely to walk along and see them everywhere!
    kdbogdstaiwy.jpg
    sy5t7b894l0g.jpg
    3mgl8ia1gooa.jpg
    vhrdrrlhrbhr.jpg
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    One of the stalkers here.. I am trying to get out of my funk and start concentrating on my health. Boy what a battle that can be when you fall off for a long time :/

So last weekend was my birthday and my husband surprised me with a trip to Portland, OR to celebrate. We had a great time! We had Argentinian food one night. That was a first for me but probably one of the best meals I have ever had! We will have to go back there again. One of my bucket list items has been to go on a zip line adventure and he surprised me with that as well. What fun! This is something else I will need to do again! I will try to post some pics... The only other thing on my current bucket list is to see the Northern Lights. Hopefully that will happen one day too..

My new(er) job has me sitting at a desk most of the day and it is hard to get out and walk. Maybe once the weather starts cooperating I will do better. I did do my duck pond walk on Thurs and it felt good! Hopefully I can get a walk in this morning before our next round of nasty wet and windy weather kicks in this afternoon.

Hoping to be around a bit more again. I love the support available from you amazing Hatters! Have a wonderful weekend!
  • PatriceMG
    Options
    fj61zth9dbpu.jpg
    2okwm7k48cc0.jpg
    tmi4h7sd8tff.jpg
    5epyvq36tbdp.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how to rotate the pics...
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Beautiful pictures of the ice sculptures, Snoozie. Good for you for walking in that weather! Interesting article. Yesterday my four pounds would have been tacos and ice cream. I'm visiting my nephew and his wife in Dallas and they don't have meals at home. They're both cross fitter fanatics and can afford to eat out (calorie wise). This old lady with the non-existent metabolism is going to struggle.

Patrice, welcome! Getting out of a downward spiral or funk can be challenging. I'm sure you can do it. What a wonderful birthday surprise! Zip lining is awesome! Use this as a starting point and don't look back at what was or what was not done....concentrate on positive healthy choices going forward!

I've got an appointment with an Orthopeadics doctor when I get home next week. I'm really hoping to get this bum knee thing figured out so that I can start working out again. I'm trying to make good eating choices this weekend but it's so hard when we're eating in restaurants for lunch and dinner every day! Ugh! I don't want to return home and have to lose the same five pounds AGAIN! Wish me luck!

Have a great weekend ladies!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Patrice - I just saved the pictures to my computer, and opened them there so could rotate them LOL..

First off... happy belated birthday!!

Second OMG woman...how fantastic was THAT surprise day from hubby? I am drooling over the Argentinian food - I love trying new foods; would you mind telling me every single item you ate?? LOL and huge kudos on the zip lining!! oh wow between you and Susan.. I am going to have to update my bucket list to include some of the wonderful things you two are trying!! and how perfect that was on your bucket list and hubby made it happen.. we like hubby.. good hubby LOL!!
    the pictures are fabulous..... we had a chance to go zip lining in costa rica but I chose snorkelling instead - i'm kinda a water baby but had never tried it.. and it was one of the best experiences of my life.. so kudos to you and so glad you enjoyed it so much!!!!

As for getting back on track.. you are preaching to the choir girl.... I wish there was a way to "bottle" the times when motivation is so high and we are totally in the groove, to pull it out when we need it! But since that can't happen.. the only advice I have.. is to do exactly what you said you did.. start with a walk, even a 20 min one as many days as you can.. take the time from somewhere or someone else for yourself, and do it. it doesn't have to be a power walk, or a crazed arm pump thing.. even just a stroll... even if the weather is crappy bundle up or grab a brolly... or if its just not possible, lock yourself in the bedroom, put on a CD and bounce around dancing.. anyting to get you moving your parts in some small way. And just try for ONE thing food wise that's a "best" choice every day - I started about 3 weeks ago.. and it took me most of the first 2 weeks to gradually reduce the amounts I was eating, and start making better choices here and there... the scale didn't move much but it DID MOVE.. and that kick started the motivation again... that's all I got "unsolicited advice" wise... but I feel a little more in control now and that helps a lot too.. I was out of control for a long time. Also, I have to admit.. the stupid logging....? it does help me.... the first while I logged everything I ate, and nearly had heart failure when I saw the totals... I fully admit I then deleted the day LOL... the information was for me at the start.. to see exactly what I was putting in my gob..... not sure if that will help, but again, it's all ive got for now. except to remember we CAN do this.. we don't have to wonder whether we can this time around cause we already know we can. I have replaced the words goals and whatnot this time around and simply tell myself "I have made the decision to get back to my goal weight - my comfortable weight". that's working for me too at the moment... but... its one day at a time!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Patrice - just looked at the photos up close.. oh WOW!!!!!!!! I absolutely think you should use one of these as your profile pic on here LOL (Susan think you should use your parasailing one too!)

d3h9bmvkl4ey.jpg
    07d2jdb4ivxg.jpg
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy - hope you have a lovely time with your visit... and I know what you mean about it being so hard when youre eating out all the time.. I absolutely think you're right; yo're only option is to manage portion control, and maybe escape for 10-15 min now and then to hoof around the neighbourhood LOL... good luck with the ortho and let us know how the apt goes once you've seen him!
  • PatriceMG
    Options
    Saw this while browsing the internet this am... Before you begin a weight loss program, remember this — you are not fat…you have fat. Losing weight isn’t about shame, it’s simply another achievement you CAN accomplish! Once you stop beating yourself about the weight you’ve put on, you can focus your energy on getting the job done! You got this! :-)
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Those are some awesome pics, Patrice. I have always wanted to do that, but I have been to much of a scaredy cat. You make it look easy.

Susan, you also make me want to parasail also.. It must have been awesome!

Like Snoozie, I need to update my bucket list while I can still carry it!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Patrice, I love that quote! You are not fat, you have fat. Awesome! I've done a terrible job with eating healthy while here in Dallas. I have been looking at this program called Whole30. Have any of you heard of it? If so, what have you heard and/or think about it? My nephew and his wife have done it and highly recommend it. I should be able to do anything for just 30 days....right? I head home tomorrow just to leave again in a week for a wedding in Kansas City. Hopefully things will calm down after that and I will get the "all clear" with my knee so that I can start working out again. I hope you all did better than I did this past weekend! Have a wonderful week!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    How has everyone's week been going? I hope you're all having success in meeting your goals!

I ended up getting two cortisone shots yesterday (shoulder and knee), I'm wearing a knee brace 24/7 for two weeks, taking an anti inflammatory med for a week and starting physical therapy next week. I'm optimistic that this will all give me a healthier stronger knee. I also met with my "coach" at the YMCA and have set up a plan for reaching my goals of 5 days/50 miles on the Appalachian Trail in October and losing 45 pounds in six to eight months. I start working on strength training on Tuesday. I'm also going to start the Whole30 plan on March 23rd. I'm feeling really positive about all my plans and goals. I decided I needed to make big changes for big results!

So....all kinds of plans going on here! What are y'all up to??