OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies,
    So great to catch up on all your doings over the weekend. So proud of all of you for your dedication to moving forward consistently, learning from any little slip-ups and staying energized.

It's beautiful this time of year and although the rain has been more than normal, we find ways to get outside and keep active. Enjoy your Monday, as you embrace all your successes!

Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi all, just got back from the cabin a bit ago. Seems like ages since I was here. So much has been going on. Had such fun with the girls making cards on Saturday followed by the most awesome wedding I have ever been to. The ceremony was held in the planetarium. The seats were all in the reclining position so that you were gazing up into the universe. There was a presentation of what was in the sky on the couples 4 most important dates: when they met, their first date, their enggement date and their wedding day. We were transported to the moon, the Orion constellation, Mars, Venus, the seven sisters and a couple of nebulas. So realistic that several people got a little queezy as we traveled through space and time. The ceremony and reception were so unique. The only nod to tradition was the father daughter dance. My daughter and I ended the festivities by going down the two story slide together. There is so much more I could tell you but don't want to bore you. Suffice to say I was so honored that they included us in their wedding day, especially when they were keeping the guest list so small. It was so nice that I had met so many of the guests prior to the wedding. Was worried I would feel like an interloper, I was made to feel exactly the opposite!
    We left early Sunday for the cabin and went straight to our friends place up the road. Edd helped build a carport while I helped put up lights, feed the chickens and hang some decorative items inside. My GF was in need of some girl time. So it was really nice hanging with her. Edd worked on the carport again today and I did some sprucing up at the cabin.
    Some really good news. Mom's eyes really responded to the 3rd injection. She is able to read the descriptions of the shows on her TV, before all she could see was the titles. My sister is now able to drive and get out of the house on her own. My granddaughter passed her final testing to get her associate degree in medical office assisting! She failed it on her first attempt so I am so proud that she hung in there, studied and took it again. She also dumped her way too old, lazy boyfriend about 2 months ago and is now dating a boy her age who is going to college, working and has a car. And last, but not least, I have an interview at Jo Ann fabrics on Wed. I really hope I get this job. I had all but given up hope on getting a job before the holidays. Prayers accepted, lol
    Have lots to do tomorrow with mom so will stop by when I can.
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Patti, such good news all around! The wedding sounds just wonderful, and the news on your mom's vision is outstanding. Good luck. Hoping the craft queen status will help at JoAnn.

Cindy, glad the seminar was fun.

MaryLynn, please send all excess rain here -- been dry as a bone for months.

Bert, what a lovely thing to have your friend with you on the long commute.

Ah, my favorite ad is on -- the Nationwide Insurance ad with the insanely talented Leslie Odom, Jr. singing (he was the original Aaron Burr in "Hamilton" and has an incredible album of standards out and just released a spectacular Christmas album). This ad gives me hope every time I see it because it's set at a wedding reception, and the couple are "of a certain age."

Tired today - sleeps been a bit of a fight and I suspect the lowered synthroid dose is kicking me too. Moved up my January endo appointment to before my surgery.

May not have time to check in tomorrow but will be thinking of everyone.
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi gang! It's been a busy day here the Y for yoga this morning - I should make all 3 classes this week for the first time in a long time. My goal is to get 10,000 steps at least 5 times this week, Y 3 times and stay within daily WW points for the remainder of the WW week.

We've started installing the underground electronic fence and will start training the dogs with it once installation is complete.

Later gators,
    Suzi
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I have many things to do this morning before I leave for my visit with one of my Field students. It's discouraging when your brain won't let you sleep. I wanted to arise around 6-6:30, but nope! Hopefully I'll sleep well in the hotel tonight.

Patti: The wedding sounds amazing! So glad your mom is doing better.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Gonna be a ssolid-crazy (and, I hope, productive day) but while the shower is warming up I just wanted to pop in and give you all a virtual hug. Have a magnificent day and be your best self!
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Mornin' y'all! It's a beautiful sunny day here in OK. I wish we could enjoy the fresh air and sunshine by working more on the fence installation, but we've requested a utility line locate before we proceed to the backyard. That will be done by late tomorrow afternoon so we can resume work Thursday. Meanwhile, today is Dave's "workday" for the month with board and committee meetings at the bank he retired from. I'm going to start shopping for a dress to wear to his bank's fancy, dress-up Christmas party. Finding a dress won't be nearly as hard as finding shoes, but I need to find the dress first.

Later...
    Suzi
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    We are up at UAB waiting to see the doctor. Jason is with me.

Patti- what a customized wedding and much better than your last one! So nice that Susie went with you. I'm so glad you got your mother to the doctor when you did, seems like it was in the nick of time.

Suzi- you have a great plan for this week!

Paula- where are you?

Janet- I spoke with my Aunt of your same name yesterday. Her sister, Diane Patterson, made me a throw with my Aunt that just passed she is mailing me. Did your organizer come yesterday?

Cindy- why do men resent us for doing things for purr selves? Jealousy? Insecurity? They admire us for our independence initially, but later it becomes a problem. You hang in there.

I better go as they will be calling me back soon. I will let you know what goes. I want some new ideas on this dryness and to know if I am always to be on this Prednisolone.

What about my QOTD for yesterday?

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Karla, fingers crossed. Whatever helps the eye is necessary to your comfort and sanity. Organizer comes this evening. Going to start putting things onto my new shelves. Glad she is coming, though I cannot really afford it. Being on my feet for more than about a minute is pretty bad today. Will take a pain pill before she arrives and likely another this evening. Glad I have been very careful with post-surgical meds so I still have some for when I am desperately in need of relief.
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies-
    Just a very quick check in- work is nuts.
    Just don't have time for personals. But hugs to all.
    Cindy
  • luzingg
    Options
    Hi all,
    Karla, hope there is some relief for the dry eye situation.

Janet, praying your next surgery in January brings you much needed relief from your pain. I know it will be a long recovery but worth it if you can be put back together in better order.

Cindy, hugs for the craziness in your life. Glad you always seem to find a moment to get on here, I am sure it isn't easy.

Bert, do you ever rest?

Got lots of little chores and errands done for mom. Then watched our shows. She made some split pea soup and navy bean and ham soup from a ham bone she had been saving. So I have a stash for the freezer and some to share with Susie. Not sure when I will get it to her but hopefully soon. I have an ice cream maker that I want to give to my grandson so that will give me two reasons to get down there. Hopefully this weekend. I am getting nervous for my interview tomorrow. When I was a nurse I only got turned down for one job in my 35 year career and that job went to my BFF. A year later I did get a job at that same hospital. So not getting a job I apply for is a new experience for me. So far the on,y company that has officially turned me down was Michaels, just haven't heard back from the others. Have lunch planned in a little town full of antique shops after my interview with the girls. Need to get ready for the gym. See you peeps later
    Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good Wednesday morning ladies. Boy, yesterday was a long day and now I keep sneezing and wonder if I am coming down with a cold. Yuck. The news on the dry eyes is, putting the humidifier back on in my room, sleeping with a sleep mask on, she put in a plug in my right eye, she ordered some "pellets" to insert on the next visit. The good news on my visit is I am back to 20/30 vision and need new glasses now! We were so focused on the dry eyes we forgot to address the shingles eye and the taper down off the Pred. I called right back as soon as I realized that, but they haven't called me back yet. I spoke with Abbey, my contact there just before 5p, and she said they had already left and would call me this morning. It was a two hour wait as she got was backed up with patients to be seen, rare for this doctor, and Jason and I were exhausted when we returned home.

Patti- Many employers are hesitant to hire over-qualified candidates. I'm sure it is more prevalent today with the economy forcing retirees to work now more than ever, especially ones with college degrees that are outdated with experience in their field. I'm not sure why you do not want to return to nursing, maybe your nursing degree is expired, not up todate on CCE's, etc. or just burn out. Your hourly wage at any of the places you are applying will be near or around minimum wage I would think. Why not open your own business doing painting? You are so very talented at it and you would make more and be your own boss. I do know you will have fun at any of the jobs you are applying, the fabric store or Kohl's. You would have loved Michael's too.

Jane - How did the organizing go? Did you find a knee scooter? My friend Karen had to use one when she had foot surgery, a great invention.

I better get going. Heading to the Podiatrist office today. I fell asleep by 8:30 last night until 6:30 this morning.

QOTD from day before yesterday: My plan for being super like the moon, was to keep tracking and exercising and know in my mind that my body and mind are worth it. To keep healthy snack options available and to CHOOSE them instead of ice cream or carb heavy snacks. To not beat myself up when I do make the incorrect choices but make the next bite the better choice.

QOTD: What did you do yesterday that was a step in the right direction for your journey? What will you do today to continue that path?

Karla

• luzingg
    Options
    Up and dressed and ready for my interview. 35 years of nursing was enough. I vowed that if I ever went back to work it would be something less stressful on my heart and soul, something that would have a different type of reward. Since I am drawing SSI I have a limit that I can earn. Mostly I just want pocket money for my crafts, movies and dinners/lunches out with the girls. I really hope that Joaans extends an offer and that maybe it can work into a part time position after the holidays. Both jobs are seasonal only. Kohls did extend me an offer, got the email last night. Just need to pass a drug test and background check. I am waiting until after today's interview to accept or decline. Edd has been doing Mystery Shopping for about 2 months now and is having fun. He gets lots of free meals and making $400-500 a month so far. We have gotten free oil changes, air cleaners and tire rotations for all our vehicles and those of our family members and friends, plus he gets paid on top of the free services. I may look into that after my seasonal work. I will also have more painting after the holidays.

QOTD: the one thing I did yesterday, and have done consistently regardless of how I am eating, was go to the gym. I confess I am struggling. Just can't find my groove and am apathetic about food. I know I need to plan better. Just keep eating the same foods, not bad stuff, but I know my body is waiting for me to shake things up so it will let go of the extra weight. The one thing I will do today is get all my water, another of those things that I have never slide.

Patti
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

We enjoyed a nice long hike to the waterfalls and river yesterday. Getting outside and busying ourselves with activities and hiking seems to be what works best for us and is consistently what we turn to. We had some colorful veggies in a salad and I cut up plenty of raw veggies for snacking and put those in clear bags in the fridge. We often share an apple at night.

Hoping for a nice lunch bunch outing today, where we will be handling the preparations in the kitchen. The menu includes caesar salad and garlic toast with a Costco Shepherds Pie and slab cake for dessert. Not the kind of foods we generally reach for, but what can you do? Eating out is something we rarely do, even when we are involved in assisting with preparation. Myron is feeling a cold coming on, so we won't stay very long and need to head out shortly.

Beet soup is prepped and ready for dinner, thanks to Myron! At least we have that to look forward to later today and don't need to settle for the "lunch bunch" options if we wish.

Janet, so sorry to hear about your pain and God willing that the surgery proposed will help.
    Karla, hoping that vision issues begin to resolve somewhat and that you can find comfort.
    Patti, it's always heart-warming to read about your daily journey...fingers crossed today.
    Bert, I know you are finding ways to keep active and consistent with your food choices.
    Cindy, I sure hope your work day settles down to less than chaotic. Hang in there, girl.
    Suzi, you really seem to be finding your groove and I applaud your positive outlook.

Stay strong all!
    Hugs,
    MaryLynn

• cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls-
    One more day to go with crazy work- and then I can unplug for a bit.
    Patti- You'll find the right fit and Kohl's might just be the short term ticket.
    Karla- glad your vision is better- you'll figure out the right way to keep the eyes hydrated and you'll be in the clear again soon- ;)
    Janet- the knee scooter is a great idea- can you rent one from the hospital?
    MaryLynn- Beet soup- sounds interesting... what's in it?
    Bert- are you doing your containers?
    I'm still focused on whole foods, but today despite being hungry not happy with what I brought and I've got a headache. So hopefully not coming down with anything.
    Need to get back to the grind - expense reports to be completed.
    We'll chat soon.
    Cindy
  • luzingg
    Options
    Hello again, Jo Ann's offered me the job. Very low pay but I am not looking to get rich, just have some play money. I start next week if all the paperwork goes thru. They said that they almost always hire their seasonal workers after the holidays. Last year they hired 12 seasonals and only 3 didn't stay on after the holidays, but that was the workers' choice not Jo Anns. I will not be working more than 28 hours per week, so that is perfect for me. The other big perk is that I can wear jeans and tennis shoes. Kohl's requires business casual and that would mean having to buy some new clothes and shoes before starting a job that would only last 6 weeks, they said it was doubtful that there would be any extension of the job after the holidays. I will get a 20% employee discount too. The best part was that when I walked out of the interview 5 different people stopped me and welcomed me to the team. Two even high fived me. So working with people who seem to be very happy in their jobs, working in an industry I know and love and getting to wear clothes and shoes I already own helped me make my decision. They are closed on Thanksgiving but I will be working Wed and Friday for sure. That means I will need to get my shopping done for Thanksgiving this weekend and get some prep done. I also told my GF that I would help her get her decorations out of her attic this weekend and I want to go see my daughter if she is home. So I will be busy, busy, busy as I get ready to start my new venture. Thanks for all your well wishes and support.

Mary Lynn, do share your beet soup recipe. Hope Myron is not coming down with anything and that you enjoyed your lunch bunch and the rest of your day.

Cindy, Lucinda time will be here soon so you can relax and enjoy. Hope you just had a hangry headache and not anything medical.

Karla, did the Dr's office call you back about the Pred. Do you have your eye exam for glasses scheduled yet. Hope the plugs and pellets help.

Janet, how are you doing. How did the time with the organizer go?

I spent a wonderful afternoon with my GFs. We went to the small town of Waynesville, it is known for all it's antique and gift shops. I bought a few things for my DIL for Christmas and found a little something for me in a country store that specializes in dip mixes, spices, and bottles of spices/herbs that you just add olive oil to make flavored cooking and dipping oil. I got Rosemary and roasted garlic, can't wait to try it on some roasted veggies. Yum. Speaking of food I need to make me some dinner. Edd ate out, so I am on my own.

Patti
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. My visit to southern IN was a good one. My student did a great job, and it was fun to spend time with my best friend. We definitely got in some retail therapy.

Today is Grandparents Day at Jillian's school. I'm so excited to be going. Mike is taking time off work to go as well.

I am so frustrated with my brother. I found out on Facebook that the doctor is sending him to the ER to clear his bowels and then he will get a nutritional IV as he has lost too much weight. I don't understand why I have to find out about his situation on Facebook. That's how I found out about his cancer; through a Facebook Message sent to 30 other people. I called and left him a message about wanting to talk about it and received a text message from him. He also stated that he didn't have a phone charger, so he wasn't sure when he would be able to talk to me again. I don't even know what hospital he's in, or how long the procedure will take. I guess I'll call the doctor's office today to see if they will tell me anything.

Patti: The answer is NO, I never rest! However, today will be a lighter day that what I thought. Good luck with your job interviews. Congrats on Joann Fabrics!

Cindy: Yes, I'm doing my containers. I've been doing pretty well with them. I've tracked both on MFP and on my 21 Day Fix App. I've lost around 2 pounds so far.

Karla: Sorry about your eye.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning group!!

Patti- Great news on Joann's!! One of my favorite fabric stores! You will be busy there!! I always have to stand in a long line waiting for my fabric to be cut. I have one throw cut ready to sew and another ready to pin. I am making the ladies at Dr. Borcicky a throw for Christmas. Plus I am making Jakob, my 6yo grandson, the redhead, a Toy Story throw. You will love it there and maybe this will get you back into sewing your own clothes again!! I did not realize you were on SSI disability. What disability do you have? I'm stunned my friend.

Bert - Have fun with Mike at Jillian's school. Very disturbing to hear of your brother's medical setback and lack of communication. There is just not much you can do Bert. Are you his only sibling? Any closer relatives? I really feel for you my friend.

Mary Lynn - Your life always sounds so enchanting and relaxing. Your eating is healthy and on-spot. I, too, hope Myron is well.

Izzy and I will go to the Dance Depot today as she has outgrown all her dance outfits. She spent the night last night and I am working a few hours from home, and then sewing!!

Today's quote:

Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.
    - William Arthur Ward

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Just received a call from my BFF, she is coming over for lunch!! Yea,, like Patti's YaYa's her and I have been friends for 30 years and we laugh and cry a lot!!

Oh, and on my eye, yes I got the call back yesterday to taper down on the Prednisolone. I don't have to make an appointment for the new glasses. I'm going to take the glasses I had made last year, that were expensive and designer frames, and have them make the new lenses for them!!

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Good morning!

Patti - congrats! Sounds like Joann is an ideal place to use your crafting expertise, and wear what you're comfy in too.

Karla, your trip sounds exhausting but you got Jason time, and the doc continues to explore relief options. 20/30 made me smile & I can only imagine Izzy running wild at Dance Depot. What fun, on top of lunch with your BFF.

Bert, next time you drive to soiuthern IN, if you go solo, I'd be glad to drive up and meet you for lunch or coffee! Your container work is paying off - brava. So sorry your brother is being uncommunicative & clueless. My brother's the same way, but he's not dealing with serious medical stuff, thank God. Learning important family stuff via Facebook stinks (been there). Loved the pic of you & Mike with Jillian!

MaryLynn, I'm finally making my peace with beets (canned Harvard beets were all I knew as a kid and they are just not my thing). Glad Myron cooks, you lucky lady!

Cindy, so happy you will have a decent break from the work stress. My best friend also has her last day until after Thanksgiving today - hope to chat with her tonight about Thanksgiving (hoping to drive up and spend it with her family, who feel like family to me). Last time I needed a knee scooter, I rented one from a discount medical place but it was expensive - $80 per month, not covered by insurance - and I couldn't use it outside my home. This time I am buying one (cheaper) and hope to find one that will collapse enough for me to put it into my car. Have the first try, still boxed. Will put it together this weekend - want to have a better solution in place well in advance and practice things before surgery.

Hope everyone else is well and happy. We all have our trials but also so much to be thankful for.

The organizer and I made progress in the garage and it was a joy to see her after a few months (she broke a foot this summer). Even more fun was watching her face as she saw the work her partner did for me - she loved the spice shelves and I proudly showed off the impeccable work he did in my garage. My cleaner is going to come Monday evening and work for a couple of hours on it with me as well. She has become a friend and is just

It's going to be near 80 today and tomorrow - NOT my idea of late-November weather. Then we get a drop in high temp from 80 on Friday to 44 on Saturday. Trying to think about what I have/need to buy for Christmas this year. Am cutting seriously back on spending because I must, and honestly my nieces really don't need me to be as extravagant as I've always been. It's time for me to pare down. There's nothing I want from anyone this year, truly. Don't need more STUFF - hugs and kind words are what count.

QOTD -- I held off eating until relatively late and that helped me do well for the day. Got hungry last night & had a 100-cal bag of popcorn. Have also been trying to have an apple a day.

Gotta run - hugs to everyone!