OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    This is a FYI public service announcement for my fellow "old folks" who may not know is. During the course of my recent technology hell of a new laptop, iPad and iPhone all in the same month, my entire music library of approximately 200 CD's which had been imported into iTunes disappeared into nowhere land. I don't understand all the ins and outs, but what I do understand is that somehow iTunes doesn't store those files on the cloud, it only stores music bought through iTunes. What I didn't understand when I originally imported that whole library into iTunes was that I was importing straight from the CD to iTunes and the music files weren't being saved to my computer. So, why does all that matter? When the setup of my new phone didn't go smoothly, I lost all the music I had on my phone except what had been purchased through iTunes. With a lesson from my resident computer expert, I'm now restarting the whole process of importing the whole library, ripping the CD's in Windows Media Player, saving them to my computer and then re-importing to iTunes. It will be a several weeks long process. So, if you have CDs, like all us oldsters do, and you want to import them to iTunes, do yourself a favor and save them to your computer before you import them.

Now stepping down from soapbox. Public service announcement complete.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Suzi, I scratched the pizza itch with a couple of slices stowed in my freezer last night. Congrats on your avoidance. I still have a zillion CDs yet to rip -- I do download everything from iTunes onto my computer, which reminds me, I need to update that and need to back this computer up to portable hard drive. I REALLY need to get switched over to my Mac laptop full-time soon.

MaryLynn and Lisa, I am temperamentally Canadian and love the whole country, Beautiful land, wonderful people. Hope Justin Trudeau has much success -- so far he is indeed impressive.

Laundry done (well, at least the portion that needed to get done today). Tomorrow will be busy -- just learned that a local friend's mother passed away so after doc tomorrow I will kill a little time, then go to visitation and to the Tuesday morning service. She was 94 and my friend is grateful to have had her for so long. Our dads died about the same time (two years ago this month) so I am really feeling empathy for her. May not have time to post tomorrow but will read all.

Making it a day of several small meals -- that's what my body seems to want. Now to stick to my limit ...
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I've been taking a bit of a break from social media this weekend - just needed to not spend so much time on the computer! But I have tracked everything I remember that I ate, and am slightly over on calories but not bad. I'm making Sweet and Spicy Greek Meatballs with Couscous and Broccoli for dinner - I even made the marinara sauce myself! So I know it is clean eating. Lunch today I'm not so sure of. Every fifth Sunday our church does a combined service (we normally have two, a traditional and a contemporary, so this is a chance to mingle more) and a lunch. Today was soup. I tried two kinds (of the 7 that were there!). Small bowls of each - one a chicken tortilla soup that was probably pretty low in calories, and one a tortellini soup which I'm sure was not!

Suzi, very strong to avoid the pizza! When I want pizza, I make my own on Naan bread or a tortilla. At least that way I can control it a bit. I roast or saute veggies, use either homemade pesto or tomato sauce for a sauce, and go light on the cheese.

Patti, I've been to all those places too, and you are right they are all so individual and different.

Scale hop this morning was very encouraging - I hope it holds for my WI tomorrow!
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Diane, it will hold. You had an active week AND did really well in food choices. Hooray!
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ha! Thanks formal the pizza avoidance kudos, now I need prayers to continue to be strong. Dave's home from the lake and brought......you guessed it.......LEFTOVER PIZZA! I am coping so far by assuming he's inventoried his stash and will know if I swipe some!
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies- Sorry for the no show yesterday. I am judging a writers contest and I have to read 5 books fast.... and they are long. So yesterday after the walk with Rick I buried myself in reading and finished the first book- started it Friday night.
    We did walk yesterday and took the pups- it was in the 40's today is supposed it hit 50 definitely not our February weather.
    I have read all the posts and everyone has been so busy-
    Suzi- do you like the new WW plan- I see Oprah has lost 26 lbs according to the ad running.
    Janet- so glad you're boo boos are healing finally and you are starting to sound like yourself again
    Patti- the invites are beautiful- have you thought of setting up an Etsy store and selling them?
    Karla- sorry I thought you and Suzi we're meeting up in NO- enjoy your time together.
    Lisa- I just read an article this AM about lots of exercise and thought of you- here is the link.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/may-exercise-sweet-spot-losing-weight-062724641.html
    Diane- you are doing great on your renewed plan.....
    Bert- I love the puzzles your posting- I'm not very good at puzzles..... my aunt loved doing them.
    MaryLynn- Enjoy your day
    Vikki- Keep smiling and moving forward
    Jeannette- So glad you have fun with Alanna- how old is she?
    I need to run but if I missed someone I do apologize.
    Until later-
    Cindy
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Quick check in - my scale loss did not hold for today :(. WI was exactly what it was two weeks ago. Considering there was a business trip and a long vacation weekend in there, I guess that isn't too bad, but I wanted a loss!
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Today is going to be spent tidying up the house (only what I'm allowed to do at this point). Also, I'm going to get things in order for taxes and will take a walk at some point during the day. I have a doctor's appointment this Friday for him to check up on my progress from the surgery. Have a great day!

Bert
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Happy first day of February!
    So I wasn't the only one absent from posting yesterday ;) I started responses (i have to do it in another doc and then cut and paste to here), but got pulled into mommy hood and never got back to it. such is life.

Bert- it appears you are doing wonderfully and even incorporating some of your former routine already! kudos to you! i'm sure your Dr. will be happy with you on Friday.

Diane- keep the faith! as you said: business trip and vacation... and no gain.... that would please this chick. :smiley:

Cindy- happy reading for that writer's contest. i visited your website, but have already forgotten your pen name (i can always scroll up and look)

Suzi- thanks for the public service announcement :) i'm so old-fashioned... i still have VHS tapes (i told you all i'm a packrat) we have well over 200 music CD's but i struggle finding a working player! I usually have to play them in DVD players, ha!

Janet- sorry to hear about your friend's mom. I lost my dad 2.5 years ago:( i've 'moved on' but haven't fully grieved yet, not sure i even know how. please be careful to not overdo it the next two days!

I made myself get on a scale this morning, and i've gained back almost all the weight i lost in 2015. (not that much, really) i've been making horrible choices. my depression is in full swing (even though i'm taking 3 medications), so the weight is the least of my "natural consequences". sigh. but today is the first day of a NEW week and a NEW month! trying my best to feel optimistic!

that's all i have time for (and a brain for) right now.
    waving hello at the rest of you!
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Myra- pen name is Lucinda Race
    Janet- you are a wonderful friend.
    Bert- don't over do anything
    Diane- as Patti says the scale is usually a week behind us - you'll see the loss next week.
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    It's a new month and I'm trying to meet it with new resolve here.

Diane, the vagaries of the scales are so annoying. You know you're doing the right stuff and lower numbers will come.

Bert, please don't overdo. (Take it from someone who knows!)

Cindy, hope work isn't overwhelming this week.

Myra, ripping CDs is so time-consuming. I probably have at least 400 yet to do -- and that's with being picky and not even doing some. When to make the time ...

I had horrible flu when this friend's dad died so am glad I can pay respects to her mom. This is the friend I go to concerts and theatre with -- very nice woman. She is doing well but even with a parent in her 90s it's tough. Next Monday will be two years since my dad died == he was my favorite person and I still miss him every day.

OK -- must shower and get ready for doc, killing time (maybe with clearance-rack therapy) and funeral home. Will read tonight and post if I have the energy.

• BlessedBeyondMsr
    BlessedBeyondMsr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Please forgive me for my absence this week. I have missed you all, but I have struggled with a really persistent headache that I have had in the past due to thyroid medication changes. Too long of a history to share but, had a very rough week with the headaches as far as concentration on anything. I was able to have a great workout week though and Advil, helped me thru things like work, helping our son with school work, book report etc. I tried to keep up with some of you on the news feed. I would like to friend the rest of you so that you at least know I'm keeping up with my goals via the newsfeed.
    I met my goals last week and actually worked out 6 days instead of 4. I think looking in the mirror and seeing the weight loss inspired me partly and then having a stressful day at work on Friday, made me want to workout just for stress relief on my non-workout day. My husband was picking up our son after work, so I stopped by the gym to hop on the treadmill.
    I did horrible on my eating over the weekend though. Went out with friends to an upscale restaurant Saturday, with lots of delicous food, but made sure I got my workout in earlier that day, knowing I would be going over on calories. Yesterday, I was without excuse and could kick myself for going over, but today is a new day and I don't look back, I always try to just look forward and remember all that I did right. I am thrilled with my workouts last week.
    My plan this week will be the same, come in under my calories 4 days this week, 4 days of cardio, 3 days of strength. I have gotten one workout day in so far and heading to the gym in a little while for #2. Will do upper body strength and cardio. Did some machines at the gym last week and was sore in my upper body for several days and it felt great!

I think you ladies are great and I really appreciate your support and encouragement. It has made MFP so much more fun, compared to over the past few years, where the friends I had on here really weren't consistent and would drop off for months. It's great to have like minded, motivated friends, so thank you!

((Hugs))

Vikki
  • 68myra
    Options
    this is from Karla: i believe she posted on the wrong thread. next, i'll post mini goals here :smiley:

Myra- Thanks for posting the listing here also and thanks for updating it!! Great for all to see and be reminded. I am doing well and my black slacks are feeling easier zipping on this morning. Yeaaaa. My 40th class reunion will be here before you know it!!

It was a wonderful weekend. What a neat birthday we took Izzy and Audrey to with bumper car at a skate rink. We also took them to a small neighborhood Mardi Gras parade. Is it no wonder that they love staying with their Nana and Papa??

I leave tomorrow afternoon for Panama City. I need to get over to see my dad and take him something I picked up for him from my youngest brother. Plus, I have a reunion meeting Wednesday evening. Always fun to see my cronies from my HS days.

Janet- I hope you doctor's appt. today finds your open wound closing and without any sign of infection.

Patti- Your invitation look so professional and pristine. You rock!!

Diane- So thrilled to have you checking in so often. Glenn talked again this morning about requesting his package for retirement by the end of this year. We are so thrilled also.

Cindy- Did you and Rick have some good down time?

Suzi- Interesting information about the iTunes. I don't understand all the crap about the iCloud and backups and all that. I only trust a stand alone backup drive like what Janet discussed. You sound like you have lots of music. My car has a iPod built into it that you can record a CD and never have to enter it in your player again. I have no idea about how to ever get that out again. LOL.

Jeannette- Did you enjoy some Alanna time? Get your lessons done?

Lisa- What exercise do you have planned for this week? Hiking?

Mary Lynn- Did I tell you my middle name is Lynne? Yep, sure is.

I better run. I have to go to my Family Practice today to close January books. It's my one day a month I go there. They are whining about the collections, every January it drops due to deductibles and every January they are shocked about it. LOL. I try to tell the girls up front they have to collect it and every year they don't. Will review with them again today.

Karla
    February 1, 2016 7:41AM
  • 68myra
    Options
    ROSTER AND OMG's Happy February 1!!!!
    Karlalm58 - Karla - AL(gulf coast)- KEEP FOCUSED ON YOUR GOAL
    Luzingg - Patti - OH - EAT 3 MEALS EVERY DAY WITH AT LEAST 400 CAL FOR MIDDLE MEAL
    Jp_in_Ky - Janet - KY - NO EATING AFTER 9 PM!
    Cindy619 - Cindy - MA - NO S - EAT AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE
    Smack59 - Suzi - OK - TRACK IT ALL!
    bertevans - Bert - IN - drink water, eat less
    Eniads- Diane - MD - NO FRIES! LOTS OF VEGGIES, AND TRACK EVERYTHING EVEN WHILE TRAVELING
    LCUConley - Lisa - ON - Track No Matter What
    68Myra - Myra - NC - NO JUNK FOOD (Super Bowl Sunday doesn’t count, lol)
    Blessed Beyond- Vikki - VA - workout 4 days a week, 4 days cardio, 3 days strength training; come in under calorie goal 5 days this week
    Xjsjaguar - MaryLynn - VI, BC - -CARDIO 90 min x 6 days, WEIGHT TRAINING 30 min x 4 days
    LivLovLrn - Jeanette - OR- LOG EVERYTHING I EAT
    tedwards - Tracy
    JudyAnnsews - Judy - MI - Eat real food, mostly veggies and less of it
    Micki48 - Micki - Track everyday no matter what
    Rjan91 - Ruthann
    Peapod57- Minimum of 5K steps, home prepared food every day this week
    akachase- Chase - Las Vegas, NV track everything, no matter what and no chocolate
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Janet: I won't overdo. I'm resting right now after cleaning out the refrigerator and cleaning counter tops, refrigerator doors (what I can reach), and small appliances that have stainless steel on them. I'm going to ask Mike to do the bottom part of the refrigerator tonight. I'm planning on starting another puzzle this morning, so that will keep me busy for awhile while I rest.

I don't understand the iCloud either. I listen to Pandora on my phone, the free version of course.....I do need to back up files and pictures so I won't lose them. That's another day!

Bert
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Feb ladies, Jan sure flew by for me.
    Cindy, sounds like you took on a big challenge to read 5 books for the judging. How much time do you have to get them done. I will admit I was up until after 3am Fri, Sat and Sun reading in bed. Finished one book and started another. I had quit reading in bed for a long time because I couldn't find a comfortable way to hold the book in my waterbed. But the iPad has made the difference and I am really enjoying my reading time again. Thanks for the article, will read it when I am done posting.

Suzi, thanks for the FYI on saving my iTunes music. Will need to check into that before I change computers. I have nearly 7000 songs in my account, all of which are also on my iPod and most have been backed up to my external hard drive. I moved them all when I got this computer but that has been 4+ years ago and I don't remember how I got them reloaded. Luckily I do have an IT guy to call on. I have known him for nearly 30 years, his parents co own our river property and he has always called me Aunt. So hoping I don't have to redo all the ripping of CDs.

Janet, good luck at the Dr's office. I know this is a particularly rough time of year for you and going to your friend's mother's visitation will likely be difficult. Sending you loving hugs.

Diane, no gain with all your travel is a NSV. Just keep going as you have been and you know you will see the losses rolling in.

Bert, I bet your Dr is going to be really pleased with your progress. Yeah you!

Myra, thank you so much for updating our mini goals and roster. I think you have a great attitude about what is important in your life. The scale can be so mean and mess with our minds, glad you see that your health both mental and physical is more important.

Vikki, no worries about not being here. So sorry to hear you are dealing with the headaches. It seems like it didn't keep you down though. Great week of working out. You are making the time to do what is important to you and your body. We love it when you stop by but don't feel guilty if you can't make it. We know you are still there. If you stay gone too long though, you might get a poke from one of us just to make sure you are ok. That's how we roll. Glad you have found our little family helpful in your journey.

Well no loss again this week. As much as I want to say I'm ok with it, I'm not! So disheartening to weigh, measure, track and record, read all labels, exercise, drink my water and think about what I need to do every waking minute, it seems, to not have any rewards at the scale. So with that sad commentary on my battle with scales in mind I took my measurements this morning. It has been a month since I did the initial ones. Lost 1/2 inch off each thigh, 1 inch off my hips, 1 inch off my belly (something I never measured in the past but it is there and needs to be watched too) 1 inch off my waist, 1.5 inches from below my breasts (the bra band area) 1 inch off my upper chest (measurement taken just under my underarms, the bra overhang area) 1/2 inch off each upper arm. So that is a total of 8.5 inches for areas measured. That made me super happy, so why am I still bummed about the danged scale? That is the question of all times, isn't it? So wish we would have been obsessed with the tape measure instead of the scale all these years. I think it is a much more realistic and healthy obsession. Now that this is all in writing I feel so much better about things. Thanks for listening.

Thank you all for your kind comments about my wedding invite. I love doing them because I love my grandson and his bride-to-be. I would never consider doing this to make money. It is an inordinate amount of work and I could never charge enough to compensate for my time. Not counting my design or shopping (both virtual and real) time, I have over 15 hours in to this project and don't have a single card to show for it. Do have almost all the elements for about 22 cards and paper cut for another 22. Haven't even started cutting the card bases. So you see, I would either go broke or have to charge so much nobody would ever buy them. If anyone could afford me, they could well afford a professional printer. I have thought about selling my other cards on Etsy or at a local shop but people want to buy them for next to nothing, so not worth my time. I have sold quite a few at garage sales and flea markets, but mostly to get rid of the ones I wasn't that fond of in the first place, lol.

I'll sign off now and give your eyes a rest. Heading to the fabric store for lace and ribbon samples and to Fresh Thyme to get Mom more sesame sticks. She is truly addicted and I want to surprise her when I go over tomorrow.

Patti
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I got most of my school work done before Miss Alanna came over; actually I got it all done but had a question about one of my assignments and didn’t hear back from my professor until Sunday morning; thankfully I had already done it right and just needed to hand it in. We got the “finger” paints out again but this time it wasn’t enough for her to paint herself, she wanted to paint me too!!! :smiley: I did let her paint the palms of my hands but made her leave it at that. I think she would have painted me all over too if I’d have let her.

I love the continued conversations back and forth on this page. I’m so thankful you let me join you all and have made me feel a part of the group.

Karla – what a joy to have 5 grandkids together. Thanks for sharing the pictures of Izzy, she is just precious. I have two daughters and I keep telling them they need to have at least 4 kids each….they aren’t so sure they agree!

Janet – Seems like you are doing pretty well as far as recovering; I guess the trick it not to over-do it too soon. I always have trouble with that one. Sorry to hear about your friends’ mom, glad you will be up for being there with/for her.

Patti – the invitation looks wonderful; I am a little jealous of your talent. I like doing craftsy things but paper crafting is not something I am good at. As far as my school is concerned I work Mon-Wed; I try to do the reading for my classes on those days. I don’t work Thurs-Sun. I am pretty much stuck to the computer Thurs-Sat morning working on getting it all done before my beautiful little angel comes over. So far it has worked out ok for me.

Suzi - congratulations on the weight loss and nearing your goal, well done! I have a friend who I’ve known and worked with for about 20 years, I tell everyone she is my sister…I know exactly what you mean. Sounds like you are doing well with your eating and planning ahead for those “sidetrack” meals is excellent thinking. Oh and I know exactly what you mean about itunes….been there, done that!!! I really strongly dislike itunes. I used windows media player for years using a program that allowed me to sync to my ipod, but the program doesn’t work on the most recent ipods so I had to start using itunes, blah. Sounds like you have a fabulous trip planned!

Lisa – don’t fret, just jump back on the wagon and get back to it; we all slip now and again. It is the picking ourselves up and moving forward that is the important part.

Vikki – sorry you have had a rough week; I have issues with constant headaches sometimes as well; it is no easy task functioning around them. Even though you were over on calories you did really well with working out each day; that it a victory for sure!

Myra- I do my responses the same way; type out on a word document then copy paste. It is the only way I can remember what I want to say to everyone :wink: Sorry to hear you are having depression issues; hope you can get your meds sorted out to where you are feeling more balanced….it is a tricky business.

Cindy – It sounds like you are busy with your nose in a book. My oldest daughter would be jealous of that job! She LOVES to read and would love a job where she “had” to read for a living. She currently belongs to some sort of business that sends her a free book every time she reviews the previous one they send her. She even gets to choose which genre and book she wants to read. Alanna is 2 and has the sweetest personality! I just can’t get enough of that girl.

Well, I’m off to start my day. I’m teaching Chacha in one class today and Quickstep in the other; fun stuff! Happy Monday, happy first of February.

Grace and Peace to you
    Jeanette
  • luzingg
    Options
    I just read the article that Cindy posted. Very interesting stuff, but a little disheartening. It lead me to this article
    http://www.livescience.com/53069-diet-weight-loss-the-best-ways-to-eat.html

If you don't have time to read it (it is very long), it basically covers lots of studies about weight loss, and compares studies to studies and diets to diets. The main take away is this:

"The main takeaway [of the meta-analysis] is that there's really no important differences between any of the diets," said Bradley Johnston, the director of Systematic Overviews through advancing Research Technology at the SickKids Research Institute in Toronto and lead author of the meta-analysis.

Indeed, most of the diets that Johnston looked at seemed to come back to calories.

Whether people did low-carb or some other type of diet, most of them were calorie-restricted, Johnston told Live Science. "If you actually follow the diet, it's highly likely that you're going to lose weight," he said.

What's important is that people choose a diet that they can stick with.

"Adherence is crucial," Johnston told Live Science. Because different people have an easier time sticking to different diets, the ideal diet is the one that the individual can adhere to best, so that they can stay on the diet as long as possible, the researchers wrote in their study. And in smaller studies, healthy eating habits have been linked with not only weight loss but also improved health, such as lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol levels, lower blood sugar levels and even improved cognitive function.

So basically, choose what you will do!
    Patti
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hello again, I wanted to weigh in on a couple of topics here,

First, I don't believe in "diets" because in our vocabulary that indicates a temporary change in the way we eat. With this mentality we will always go back to the way we were and end up gaining that weight back. I urge you not to "diet" but to change the way you eat, permanently. Also, I've taken a LOT of nutrition classes and I can tell you that leaving out a nutrient, such as carbohydrates, is not a good idea. I definitely agree with Patti that you need to find something that works for you and stick with it, but please also keep in mind the long term health of your body.

On a different note, several of you were discussing Oikos triple zero yogurt. I haven't eaten yogurt in a long time because they all contain sugar cane, which I can't eat. I was looking at the Oikos for my husband and found it was sweetened with Stevia....well YAY! Had my first one this morning and kind of liked it. I'm so glad I can have yogurt again.

Well, that's my two cents; have a wonderful day!
    Jeanette
  • luzingg
    Options
    Jeanette, I so agree with you that all nutrients need to be included. It is a shame that diet has now meant to eat restrictively when the true meaning of the word is just "food and drink regularly provided or consumed". I'm not a big Stevia fan, don't like the taste so that may be why I don't like the Oikos Triple Zero. I am trying to get away from artificial sweeteners and have no issue with cane sugar. So I think I am going to buy some plain yogurt, add fruit and a bit of real sugar if sweetness is needed. I had tried agave syrup but it's glycemic index is a problem and not all that good for us. I don't care for the taste of honey. Luckily sweets are not my thing. Right now the only things I eat that are artificially sweetened are my coffee creamer and yogurt.

Found some ribbons and tulle to try as belly bands for the cards, this has been the biggest challenge so far. Everything I have tried she doesn't like and neither do I, so hopefully I have found some that might work. Luckily I can take them back as long as I don't cut any off the spool. Going to the gym for a new class called Kroc Fit. The gym is run by the Salvation Army and is partially funded by the Ray and Joan Kroc foundation. It is supposed to be a general basic fitness class and the trainer will be new to me but I am looking forward to some variety in my workouts.

Patti