OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Cindy- that is a heart wrenching story of the Vet, did Rick not have any lower bills either? Is there not a local VA hospital or clinic in your area? I do realize that lots of vets are without needed services, but him getting to Fort Bragg doesn't sound realistic to me. That is an active base with active duty. I am sure they have a large hospital there, but.. Maybe you can call your local VA office and inquire about the event last evening. See what their thoughts are, it may relieve you. You do realize I was a military brat for 38 years of my life? I don't know how my pictures come out right, I just choose them from my file folders, it doesn't ask for a size, so it must be how you originally saved them.

I am working on getting over 2k steps before I head out later. I have to take some tax forms to the podiatrist and do some things there, then I am meeting one of my BFF's, Tammy, for lunch and then we are having massages at Massage Envy. I texted Glenn about us going to the walking track and gym tonight for our date night. LOL. Have any of you watched that ABC show about Different type diets the contestants were using? It ended last night and was very inspiring. Jasmin won!! Her diet sounded close to weight watcher. I'm going to research that this weekend. She will be featured in People Magazine and won $50k in cash and $20 in groceries!! I could not believe the difference in her appearance in the 14 weeks of the program. She lost 54 pounds in that time. At the end they all had to do a half marathon to be able to do the last weight in. It was awesome. One lady quit due to tension with her trainer, it was quite dramatic.

I am working at home a couple hours this morning before I head out. Have a fun day everyone, plan some alone me time for you this weekend. Even if it only five minutes of thinking about nothing.

Karla

• KarlaLM58
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Quick stop before I hit the gym.

Cindy, I am normally the optimist but I rarely trust those that come up to me on the streets, no matter the story. And I agree with Karla, his story seemed unlikely. Panhandling is a big money maker. You are generous but need to be wise about your generosity. Keep in mind they would not be good panhandlers if they were not good actors. That face was probably practiced and has worked numerous times in the past. There are ways to donate to Vets so that they benefit, giving money on the street to someone claiming to be a Vet is not the wisest way to do it. Please do not berate yourself. As he was helping the elderly lady he may also have been picking her pocket or soliciting money from her for his services. Sorry to be so cynical but today's world has changed and made me that way in some situations.

Back later,
    Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Dear Patti and Karla- thank you for your support and helped me feel a little better.I never thought the facial expression could be a practiced on - maybe he was just a good actor.
    I too don't typically trust a panhandler but there was just something about this guy that touched a nerve- might be do to the high level of stress that I an under that is making me over sensitive- I do support VA programs- but not at the street level.
    Thanks again girls.
  • luzingg
    Cindy, glad to hear we helped in some small way. I totally agree that your current stress level may have been a trigger for your feelings. We all get to choose how we wish to support, whatever charity we choose and should never feel guilty when we can't support them all.

Edd just ordered a new stereo for my car. My current one has been slowly dying and once he put a new battery in that was the end of it. You have to have special codes to restart it, but without a display panel (totally black for the last 3 years) there is no way to reset it. It will be here on Tuesday, with all the needed tools (of course there is a special tool for my car) and hardware. It will be so nice to be able to play my ipod and have a cd changer in the dash instead of in the trunk. Praying it all works out because we are taking my car for the 12 hour drive to Wilmington on Friday and it would not be pretty without music, lol. I stayed after my Zumba/Pilates class for one called gentle stretching. I am so sore by Friday from all my classes I figured it couldn't hurt. My other Zumba instructor leads this class and she is an excellent "stretcher". I am nice and loose and pain free, so calling it worth my time and money. Also found a great place to buy a new laptop at a decent price. Will be going there after out trip to NC.

Patti
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Good morning! I hope you all had a good week and are looking forward to a great weekend. We got to see both grandbabies last night. Avery is just shy of 4 months old and is the child of the man my daughter is with now, so we don't get to see her as often as we do Alanna since she is not switching between parents or anything. It was nice to spend a little time with her.

Cindy- I went on a couple of missions trips with my church to serve the homeless and what I learned is that many homeless people are homeless because they choose to be. I'm not saying that is the case for all of them, but experience has taught me that it is usually the case for those who are panhandling. Those who are homeless due to circumstances beyond their control are usually too embarrassed or proud to ask for money like that.

Patti- stretching is a very important part of working out. I used to teach a class I called "stretch and strengthen" which sounds like a similar idea to the class you attended. Anyway, hopefully you will continue to stretch to alleviate some of that workout "afterburn"

I am stalling, I am done with 1 of 4 assignments, hoping to get the other 3 done before Alanna comes tomorrow afternoon. Ok, back to it. Hope you all have a wonderful Friday!

Grace and Peace to you
    Jeanette
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Oh ladies - I feel so bad that I have not posted lately! I just get through all of your posts and then my "social time" is up! Hope you all have a nice Friday night. We are headed out to dinner after my daughter's basketball game...planning on being good, but having a beer or two since I have been good all week!
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Hello, friends -- and TGIF!

Lisa, good to see you. We know you're around even when you're unable to post -- that's one of the many wonderful things about this group.

Karla, enjoy Mardi Gras for all of us -- love the parade pics. Hoping to see one of you and Suzi together next week! My neck, shoulders and back are very tight (endocrinologst noticed that) so would like to get a massage but while legs are healing I will need to either wait or limit what's to be done.

Suzi -- Pics on FB from your walk took me to nature and I could almost smell and feel the vibe. Thanks! Have a safe trip south.

Bert -- Your puzzles are so pretty. We had two I loved years ago. One was the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and more difficult than you'd think but the REAL bear was a round one -- white background, with quotes from Shakespeare all over it. The words were easy because of font, color and context, but there were a TON of pieces that were just white. Jigsaw puzzles are an exercise in patience but a good diversion. Of course here each piece would be a potential cat toy!

Patti -- Car tunes are critical for road trips -- glad you will have the new stereo for your trip. Edd is such a dear. Also glad you'll be getting a new laptop, which you've been needing.

Jeanette, hope you got your assignments done. As for the young man, send him my way! :-)

MaryLynn, your phrase "needless pain" really got me thinking. Yes, I've been through a lot of pain, emotional and physical, but it has all made me who I am today and that's something, I suppose.

Diane, hope your day was less stressful and that you can relax this weekend.

Cindy, I feel your pain with the vet. One never knows what story is real but you did what you had to do. Please don't second-guess.

Stayed in today and have been doing some stuff around here. Healing continues here -- am trying to balance getting some stuff done with giving my leg and myself decent rest.

I've been doing much better on food choices this week though have blown my mini-goal on purpose -- because the antibiotics are a little rough on my tummy I have been eating a little something late before my midnight pill (four times a day on the 6s and 12s). So I will keep that goal the same until at least a week after I'm off them. Will have a big salad tonight with some deli turkey on top and have enough for a big salad at least once a day through the weekend. Glad to be regaining my veggie yen and talking myself into a bit better control by replacing "What can I get away with?" with "What can I have to maximize things?"

Wishing everyone a magnificent weekend of relaxation, fun and great conversation with those you love most!
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Happy Friday Ladies!
    Wow, that came out huge! Well, I finally got out to hike this afternoon, despite a bit of rain and wind, went up, up the mountain and got this pretty view of the Strait of Georgia from Vancouver Island, Canada. Our place is many feet below this spot, so it is a good hike to get nice and warm. The views make the climb well worth it, I think... though I huffed and puffed.

Will catch up on the personals in a bit, as I still need to do some strength building on the weights and Myron is building a fire in the woodstove for the evening.
    MaryLynn
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Hello all. Well, I've tracked all today (didn't track everything yesterday). The snack monster is striking with a vengeance. Need to quit succumbing to him! I got to the gym and just did the elliptical this morning. Even with that, I'm not yet at 10K steps :(. I'm not Karla - I don't just circle the house! Today was another long day at work, but at least the weekend is here. Choir practice is on Friday evenings, and that is always a fun group.

We are planning our trips for the year this weekend, so that will be fun. We are looking to camp, bicycle, hike and kayak - our vacations are all about the outdoors! Neither of us like cities. This spring we are talking about camping at Smoky Mountains National Park.

Lisa, I can't keep up every day with all the conversations here either. They are wonderful to read, and I weigh in when I can. I've already said I can't make sure I "talk" to each and every person every day.

MaryLynn, your view from your hike looked wonderful!

• luzingg
    Late check in but always love to see what everyone is up to.
    Jeanette, hope the little ones raise your spirits.
    Lisa, no worries. We don't keep score. Always enjoy whatever time you have to spend with us. Your life comes first and you are living it. That is what truly matters.
    Mary Lynn, what a gorgeous view. How lucky you are to be able to climb to it.
    Janet, you must do what you must do to heal properly. You are getting a grip on your food and by the time you are healed you will have it back to rights.
    Diane, planning vacations, what fun. I love the Smokies. Have always said if I was going to leave here and retire somewhere it would be somewhere in the Smokey Mountains. We avoid cities too. Love the outdoors!

Met with my grand daughter to be, she loved the invites and together we made the final design choices. Love that girl, she chose the easiest of the three designs because it is elegant and crisp. I think I will go to Mom's tomorrow and see if I can get the printing done, cross your fingers that it goes easily.

Off to bed soon, have a great weekend and sweet dreams to you all.
    Patti
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Hi gang! It's very late but I wanted to check and see what's been up while I was at the lake.

MaryLynn - my hike was good, but I think your view was even better. We hiked a total of about 4 1/2 miles and visited some springs in the national park near our lake place. It had been a while since we'd done that stretch - over a year in fact. We had been in a historical drought for about 4 years up until last April. After several record rainfalls last spring and even throughout the summer, we've finally recovered from the drought. Three different spring so we saw today had been dry or very near dry with nasty, stagnant water when we last hiked to them. All are now running lovely crystal clear water. We'd begun to wonder if we'd ever see them run again.

Ok off to bed so I can get to my WW meeting in the morning. I had to get my tracking caught up from the time spent in cell hell! This makes at least 2 weeks In a row that I've met my mini goal of tracking!

• 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    cindy- congrats on the stationary bike ride; I’m with the other ladies: facial expressions can be practiced, and most who find themselves homeless are too embarrassed to beg. when empathy gets the best of me, i hand out food instead of cash ;) (at least you can’t buy drugs with it)

diane- it would appear your job didn’t cut you any slack getting back to “reality” after such a fun ski trip, but i like your idea of a sunny retirement home! I like to garden, but I’m much better with flowers than edibles. your trip-planning weekend sounds fun. i’m outdoorsy, but my youngest child, not so much. i know they grow up fast though, so my time for travel is coming!

Karla- thanks for the mardi gras education! i kept wondering… why is she going to Mobile? then i googled it :) your pictures are so colorful!

Patti- good for you for getting all those classes in! I’m glad you did the stretching, and it kept you from feeling so sore. I’m happy for you that you like your daughter in law to be so much :) that’s ALWAYS a good thing! YAY for new car tunes too!

Bert- your puzzle is lovely! makes me hanker for fruit for breakfast this morning!

Jeanette- 4 mo old babies are just precious! good luck with your assignments…..i’m sure you will enjoy Alanna much more without them hanging over your head.

Lisa- I agree with you…. sometimes after i read all the posts… i must go do something else, or a kid needs me…. i’m sure everyone understands.

Janet- i really like your “what can i have to maximize things” replacing “what can i get away with” I’ll try to adopt that! i had a couple good days, followed by a couple bad days. today will be a good day!

Suzi- i hope your tailbone is less sore by now. it is such good news to hear the natural springs near you lake home have been revived! i love spring water! Where is your lake home? i am up for adoption, LOL

MaryLynn- thanks for the picture…. no wonder you like to hike so much, what a great reward! My parents visited VI once, a couple decades ago, and absolutely loved it!

dear all- anytime this weekend, please put next weeks OMG in all caps, I’ll make a note of it, and post on monday morning (start of a NEW month!) on the roster thread. so far, i know that Janet wants to keep her 9pm cutoff goal (but you are welcome to make a change or add to it too!) now i’d better lift some weights if i want to reach my current OMG! have a great weekend!
  • KarlaLM58
    Good morning ladies. We had a lovely evening last night as my BFF, Monica, and her husband, joined us at Outback Steakhouse. What a great day as I saw two of my besties. Tammy and I had our massages yesterday and both were really impressed. I had never had such a concentration around both sides of my neck. Wow. We have both joined a three month membership and scheduled our next massage for the 10th of next month. We both agreed that we were going to get together every month and have lunch, go to estate sales, do our massage, BUT, we were going to insist with our schedules that we have fun together. I am so very blessed with my devoted friends. Tammy's husband is a physician and she is a critical care nurse that assists when needed with his practice. One of the new providers is quitting and she is having to work more, and is not pleased. She has Lupus and too much stress will send her into a flare. I love her so. She is also very crafty. She has made me numerous gifts from lavender lotions, to Grandparent Rules sign and one for Glenn and I. For Christmas she made me a wonderful reversal bag with my initials on it. Sweet!! She is also the one with the condo on the Gulf, where we can sneak away too. Monica and Steve discussed last evening how much they are looking forward to our Destin trip next month. My other bestie from Panama City, Sharon, and her husband are also joining us there. FUN!! I booked us a three bedroom condo on the water in a luxurious Wyndham resort. We have never stayed there either, so will be neat. We are all planning on going to a brewery near Destin for a tasting.

Another neat vacation we have planned for this year, is on a huge two story houseboat in Tennessee that has six bedrooms. two friends of mine from middle school will be there with their spouses and other friends. You rent the houseboat and take off yourself. We are going in mid May, so water will be too cold, but we will have lots of fun.

Marylynn- your view is breathtaking. a wood fire sounds divine. Today we will be at 70 degrees and sunshine. I hope to find a Mardi Gras parade at one of the neighborhoods to take the grandkids this evening.

Suzi- I posted a picture of one of my gowns, I still have it, and the purse. So beautiful.

Janet- Your salads sound good and it nice to get back in the swing. Has the leg closed up? Are the other two places still filling up? I will be so glad when this is over for you.

Patti- Good luck with the printing at your Mom's. Any time spent with Mom is good and I know she adores your company.

Bert- You are really increasing your steps.

Diane- I did not get my 10k steps yesterday, first time in over 3 weeks. We were late getting back from dinner. The weather is nice so I will be getting out to walk shortly. But, house walking does count!! LOL

I better get going, I will post the picture of the tile sign my Tammy made for me. I love it, as I do her,

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
  • luzingg
    Quick drive by as a get ready to head to Mom's.
    Suzi, loved the FB pics of your hike. Love it when your world comes back from a disaster like a drought. Enjoy your meeting and congrats on 2 weeks of tracking.

Myra, you are so sweet. Thanks for keeping our mini goals updated. KEEP MINE THE SAME FOR THIS WEEK. I am hoping it is going to make a difference at the scale. I have hit it 4 of 5 days this week (starting on monday) and need to make it a habit, so far it is a struggle. You are so right that the kids are only with us for a short time, so doing what they enjoy is more important than doing what we enjoy. It is nice if they are the same thing, but, often times they are not. I was blessed with parents that enjoyed the outdoors. We camped and/or boated almost every weekend in the summer. In the winter is was board games and cards. I cherish every memory of the time they spent with us and always felt like I was the lucky kid. My parents really liked being parents, my Dad was the biggest kid of them all. Well there was trip I hadn't planned on taking with this post but I love walking down memory lane. Make memories with your children while you have the chance, you don't get a do over.

Karla, sounds like you are making good trip plans too.

Janet, looks like we didn't get our planned lunch meeting in this month, but I know when you are healed and up to it we will meet and chat the afternoon away. I can't wait to see your new nose in person. Lay low, heal and be kind to yourself as you do so.

Better get a move on if I am going to get the printing done. I know Mom and I will be gabbing it up. My sis and her husband are going to be there late this afternoon and she doesn't like to share her time with Mom. Funny that we get along so well but not when we are together with Mom. I think she is always competing for some reason. Mom has always said she loves being with her children but likes it best one on one, so I try to schedule my time with her when my Sis is not there. Everyone is happy and everyone wins.

Until we meet again
    Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Hi Ladies- Happy Weekend. Rick and I had a 45 minute walk this morning and then brunch. I don't like eating before we do - I get nauseous... like walking sick instead of car sick- lol
    Going to be a low key weekend which we will much needed. I picked up a roasting chicken for 68 cent/pound I might run back out today and get a couple more- great price.
    Everyone is sounding happy and focused today.
    Lisa- good to see you back.
    Diane- I agree sometimes its hard to keep track of all the posts. Rick and I are talking about vacations too- enjoy the motorhome.
    Karla- loved the K/G picture did you BFF make that for you?
    Patti- stretching is important but I'm not good at doing it either
    Janet- the massage will be a great rewarded once your off the antibiotics and healed. Stay tough and keep eating veggies.
    Vikki- hope you're having a great day.
    Myra- big plans for the weekend?
    Suzi- wish we were all catching up in NO this week. Have fun with Karla- I didn't realize you were still doing WW meetings. I'm so glad you followed us here.
    Jeanette- lovely picture.
    Need to run but I'll check in when I can. Have a great day
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Good morning! Well I am down to the last assignment. Alanna doesn't come 'til this afternoon so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it done in plenty of time.

Diane - My husband and I like to camp as well; and hike. We've not been able to go much since this illness got me, but we are hoping to make at least one trip this summer
    and are hoping to be able to take Alanna with us to introduce her to the joy of being outdoors.

Janet - I was told by a doctor to eat a little bit of protein before bed; he didn't have any problems with eating late and thought it would do me good to eat a little
    just before bed so maybe it is ok to eat a controlled amount of a healthy snack, even if it is late.

MaryLynn - wonderful pic of your view; isn't is great to just get out in it! I am looking forward to being able to hike again, we have a lot of lovely areas nearby.

Myra - one more week the same for me, please. Thank you for keeping these updated

I tried to overeat my calories a bit yesterday to make up for being under during the week. Got a couple of mild headaches the past couple days, which are generally a sign my body
    wants me to eat more. I seem to be doing ok, though, so I'll just keep trying to stay at or slightly above my set MFP calorie goals.

Have a wonderful rest of your weekend
    Grace and Peace to you
    Jeanette
  • KarlaLM58
    Cindy- We are not going to New Orleans, Mardi Gras is HUGE here in Mobile and many believe it started in Mobile, not New Orleans. Suzi is coming to Mobile to visit her cousin, Jodi, whom I have met several times and is a sweetheart. We are getting together the week after next for brunch or something. Yes, my BFF made the plaque for Glenn and I. She is great at anything she does. She makes great lotions from scratch that I adore.

Jeannette- Sounds like you really pay attention to your body and it thanks you for it. Have fun with Allana, I get the joy of seeing five of my grandkids today at a luncheon, then Audrey, 9yo ad Izzy, 4yo, will come and spend the night with us. It is always fun.

Patti- many sibling are jealous of their parent time and my dad prefers us one on one too...I often asked him why he had five children if he didn't like crowds..lol

I am dressed and waiting on Glenn and Audrey to get her to head out.

Karla