OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good morning......I'm making breakfast as I'm writing this morning. Today is lunch with friends and then walking a couple of laps at the mall. I'm still having some pain, but nothing like before. I'm grateful for that.

Janet: My endocrinologist is very skinny as well; however, she simply encourages me to continue a low fat low carb diet. She has never told me what she wants me to weigh. She's more concerned about my A1C staying in control and that my thyroid continues to work properly. She's very understanding. Sorry you had that experience.

Patti: I have a loaf of Aunt Millie's Whole Grain bread. It's 35 calories a slice, and has 7 grams of protein.

Have a great day!

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies and welcome to our mid-week. With all my steps I sure am sleeping well!! I feel refreshed and energized!! I have enjoyed a slow morning with an English Who-dun-it, Midsummer Murders, it is a series I will enjoy. I find having peace and serenity to start my day, stretching my body and putting on some lipstick slowly works me into what endeavors I have planned for today. Here is my to-do list:

1. Process my laundry (this means wash, fold, hang and put away)
    2. Bake some Banana Nut bread with real butter and toasted pecans.(have really ripe bananas)
    3. Touch base with the wonderful ladies that have become my friends.
    4. Investigate the credentialing PA issue with one of my clients.
    5. Finish my Quickbooks entries, complete my 1099 for Podiatry client.
    6. Enter charges and payments into my Eye Rehab client database.
    7. Get 2500 steps before lunch.
    8. Process the Magnolia application for client.
    9. Watch another episode of Sensitive Skin.
    10. Make a grocery list for a dinner from my new Trisha Yearwood cookbook.
    11. Go to the grocery store.
    12. Complete my 13k steps for the day.

Bert- You are doing so very well. Have a great lunch with your friends. Friends are what enriches our lives beyond our family.

Patti- Sorry no loss this week, I feel your pain, oh so well. I am sure you are over it now, BAM is all we can do. Non-scale victories are so important.

Cindy- How do you find the difference between points for the cupcake versus now knowing the calories? I understand the new WW is very strict on sugar intake, giving high points now for sugary baked sweets. Some people are really struggling with this, but they are finding alternatives that are working and planning a splurge less often.

Janet- I know you are in a health process right now with the recent thyroid surgery and ensuing medication, so not the best time to change physicians, but change I definitely would. She had NO RIGHT to put that ridiculous cross for you to carry. My endocrinologist, Dr. Reese, a male, has never, ever mentioned my weight. Now my internal medicine doctor, Dr. Mitchell, is working with me to get it down and praises every ounce lost, and told me she wasn't going to fuss with the holiday gain. Sweetheart!!

Lisa- I agree that Janet's doctor is a farce.

Myra- I hope you returned to a restful sleep. I am the same, if I am up during the night I am useless the next day.

Let me start marking things off my list. Thanks for always listening to me and being so understanding. I am still so very proud that I made the 13k steps yesterday!

Karla
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all – checking in from a computer rather than my phone, so I’m going to try to catch up with all of you today. The government is open today with a three hour delay, but we decided to stay home and clean up instead. So today will be laundry, clearing the driveway some more, and getting all the ski gear tuned and clean and ready for next time. I need to get to the store for some fresh stuff too.

I did well on my OMG while traveling for business, but not while skiing. Didn’t track any food, and had fries once (but they were YUMMY!) Back to tracking today. I did a scale hop, and while I am up slightly, I attribute that partly to riding in the car all day yesterday and not drinking enough water (didn’t want to have to stop!) So I am going to wait to officially WI next Monday.

We woke up to rain on the mountain so decided to head straight home instead of skiing yesterday – good thing too. We got to our neighborhood no problem, but our street was not plowed. Some kind soul with a snow blower had made a one-car track about halfway, but we still had a couple of hundred yards to our driveway. We pulled into the driveway of the last neighbor we could get to, walked home, called our son to bring the snow blower back, and started shoveling. With a combo of the snow blower and shovels, in three hours we had our car in the driveway. Last night they FINALLY came to clear our street – with a bobcat. Apparently about four different type of snow plows had tried and gotten stuck. Today we will clear the rest of the driveway to get the car into the garage. It has melted some and had some rain, so it is very heavy to move!

Karla, the pictures of Izzy are adorable! She is at such a fun age. I am so tickled at the thought of you walking circles in your house! I sometimes do that if I am close, but never that much.

Janet, I can’t believe what the endo told you! I would take the advice of your surgeon over that endo any day. Rest, rest, rest, so you don’t relapse.

Bert, so glad you are doing so well in your recovery.

Myra, you are so dedicated in your exercise! I admit, if I don’t get to the gym, I don’t do formal “exercise.” I have tried doing DVDs and they just feel like a chore. I’d much rather get outside and walk or do other recreation.

Cindy, so sorry you had a rough day yesterday. I HATE it when I eat my frustrations or my boredom! It’s so hard to move past it. Today, try remembering that you are only doing this for today.

Suzi, I think the gown sounds lovely too! I think it matters if you feel comfortable in it – if you do you will look and feel lovely. You had some amazing NSVs last week too!

Patti, I love how you talk about spending time with your mom. I know this is exactly what you wanted when she moved near you. I just wish she would meet some other local people so she had more of a social connection.
    Jeannette, I hope this day brings you renewed spirits and a fresh outlook. When one thing weighs you down, it is hard to look at the positive aspects of your life.

Lisa, you have had some amazing NSVs too, and I like the way you put them: Exercise, focus and willpower. I’ll have to remember that.

MaryLynn, I’m just getting around to commenting on your finding local meats. Our friends have a small farm, and they grow sheep and chickens (for both meat and eggs). They don’t sell much, but when I’ve eaten at their home their food tastes amazing! I’m thinking that even at double the cost of grocery store stuff, at least some investment in local, grass fed, “stuff” free is worth it, both for health and taste.

Vikki, those cookies looked yummy. I would have to give them all away. I am like the original cookie monster – I just cannot resist them. When I make cookies (usually only at Christmas, and then I make dozens and dozens) I have to freeze them immediately so that I have to think about eating one, thaw it, and then enjoy. It keeps me mindful of how many I eat.

Off to start laundry and then go out and contribute to the shoveling and clearing!
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Good morning, it is overcast and dreary here but I will take that over snow any day. I am going to the "paper store" today. I don't go often because I can stay in there forever. Need to find the paper to make the wedding invites. They will also cut paper for free, a service that really saves me time. Just hoping they have the colors I need. Also need to run by the grocery, short list but still have to go. We had Bangin Good Shrimp for dinner last night. I will post the recipe as I made it. You can also find it on SkinnyTaste.com but I don't care for the amount of mayo they use.

Diane, I think you will see a huge loss next week. You have really been burning the calories between skiing and shoveling. I have just recently gotten back into doing DVDs at home, it took quite a while but since I limit them to 30 minutes I don't mind so much. But I am like you, I would so much rather do something outside. What a day you had yesterday, just glad you are finally home and safe.

Janet, I am still boiling over your Endos comments, especially since I know how carefully and mindfully you choose your Drs. Wish I could have been with you so I could b-slap her into reality. Do rest, that is the best way to get the final healing done. The to-do list can wait.

Suzi, I do hope you will post a picture of the "gown" you have my interest piqued. The best part is you have it now.

Cindy, don't you just hate it when you don't at least enjoy an indulgence. But it is done so just BAM. I know you shared the recipe for those black bean burgers before but I don't seem to have it. Is the recipe from an online source and are they hard to make? If not online do you think you could share the recipe again sometime on the recipe board? No hurry, don't want to put any added stress to your plate. I just wish there was something I could do to lighten your load.

Bert, it is so great to here that you are getting out more and getting your life back, with less pain that before. Just think, you will be totally healed by gardening time.

Myra, looks like you are getting your workouts done, yeah you. We are headed to Wilmington, NC to watch the SuperBowl with some dear friends. So I will wave in your general direction as we drive thru your neck of the woods.

• luzingg
    Options
    I just posted my recipe which I have saved on my page. When I checked the NI the site gave me the sodium was listed as 1304 mg per serving. This shocked me so I went back and checked my ingredient labels and found that the sodium was 1/2 of that per serving. I think it is good to double check the site against our actual labels.
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Diane- So glad you are home safe and sound, but I knew you would be. You and John are quite miraculous people!! Strong and healthy. I do want to get outside or to my church to work but when I think of the chore and 20 minute drive each way to get there, the church and the park, I just continue my "house walking". The fun thing is, Glenn is sitting in his recliner and we talk as I circle through. I also do arm exercises to help with my core while walking. I am thrilled with my results, I can feel my midriff slimming down!!

Patti- Is that the copycat recipe for the Bang Bang Shrimp from Bonefish Grill? Chris makes it so yummy.

I have already checked six things off my list and heading to some more,

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Diane, you are totally primed for a big and very real loss. You're back on plan with a vengeance! Coming home to shoveling duty stinks -- glad your son and the blower helped. Smart to stay home and tie up the loose ends of your trip today.

Cindy, we all slip. Today is a new day. Just for one day, why can't the tasty stuff be good for us and have negative calories?

Myra, hope you got some solid sleep. Insomnia is annoying!

Jeanette, hope the world looks brighter today. We're here for you!

Karla, that's quite a list. I try to keep my core tight as much as possible -- when I had the body lift, the doc told me I actually had a good set of ab muscles underneath all the flab and having a reasonably flat belly just makes me soooo happy!)

Patti, hoping it's the shrimp recipe you posted because the real ones are stupefyingly caloric! And I love shrimp. In fact, I've thawed cooked ones to have this evening. You're right -- I always double-check the nutrition label when using the MFP database -- sometimes the same thing has several listings and I use the one that matches the label. I sure wish I could clean out the list -- had one shot of limoncello way back when and am unlikely to have more. So why doesn't MFP let us prune our lists to things we WANT on the list???

I'm over the doc's insensitivity. At some point later this year I may seek a second opinion on my thyroid meds (after the scan this spring), just because -- but not now because of my $4,200 deductible (and I will be off that plan after Feb). She's just plain wrong about the "ideal" weight for me. My birthweight was 6#, 8oz -- but I do not intend to make that my goal and 120 for me would be just about as achievable!

Feeling a bit better today but continuing to take it easy. Sleep still wasn't the best but healing is definitely continuing and this little burp will be over with soon enough. Antibiotics are amazing.
  • luzingg
    Options
    Well I got the paper I needed but miscalculated how much I would need, so need to make another trip. The card is a trifold with a pocket, so it will take lots of cuts, scores and folds. Need to figure out the best way to cut the paper to produce the least amount of waste. The store is on the other side of town, an area I rarely travel to and have no other reason to go there but oh well, it is a lovely shop and the prices can't be beat.

The shrimp is the lightened up version of Bonefish grills Bang Bang Shrimp. One of my favorite recipes and super easy to make. I made Edd a chinese fish packet for dinner, he needs to eat by 5. I just had lunch at 3:30 so dinner for me will be Madras Lentils with some cheddar cheese and oyster crackers. To me it is like chili, I do add some seasoning but a perfect after workout meal.

Janet, I love shrimp too. I'm always afraid I will burn Edd out on it but he never complains....ever. I like your plan for ditching your Dr after the scan. Made me think of "Ding, dong, ditch" LOL, not that I have ever done that.

Going to go cut and fold a couple of cards to see how they work out.

Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Really wonderful day here. My son dropped by and we got him an appointment with his lawyer for Friday, but visit was fun with drinking a cup of tea and coffee together. Cleared 9 items off my to do list and am at 13,346 steps already. Made some scrumptious chili from the Trisha Yearwood book as planned and it's gone!! I put the buttered pecan banana bread recipe on our sight. I printed that chicken and spinach phyllo pie from Vikki. Yum.

Patti- sorry for the miscalculation and second trip across town. I'm sure your invitations will be lovely. How did your mom like her gifts?

Janet- sounds like your body is on the mend with your careful eating and resting.

I'm going to get my clothes put away now and get my bath.

Good evening,

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Feeling pretty decent, if tired. Had to venture out this afternoon and my Check Fuel Cap warning came on. Had the cap replaced no more than a year and a half ago. Grrrr - so it'll be up and out to the dealership early tomorrow.

House is clean, food day finished within limits and with good nutrient balance. Whew. Going to shower and veg.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I hope all is going well for you. Wednesdays are usually pretty good days for me. I get to see Alanna for a bit in the morning then head off to teach a couple of ballroom classes. Today one of the young men (I teach at a college) asked me what he could do to lighten my day. When I told him just him asking that was enough and he said “well, you make so many people happy I figured it would be nice if someone returned the favor” What a sweet young man, I just want to adopt him.

Vikki – sounds like you did pretty well making up for eating the cookies, and if you are eating healthy otherwise veering off course now and then shouldn’t be too damaging.

Patti – I hope we get to see these invitations when you are done with them. I’m sure they’re just beautiful. Also, though I’m a bit late with it, congratulations with your weekend success! It sounds like you were great around all that food; well done! I am not really much of a gardener. Most of the plants in my yard are left over from the previous owner. I don’t mind getting out and doing some gardening now and then, but usually reserve my energy for other things.

Diane – So glad you are home safe and sound! Too bad you had to get to work right away just to get in your driveway. I don’t mind a little snow but am not sure I’d be up for living in weather like that!

Karla – You are doing so great with getting your steps in! wonderful tenacity to that goal. Thank you for sharing your pictures of your precious grand daughter; what a little angel. Sounds like you were busy today and very successful at getting things done

Janet – I think we are all a little outraged for you at the fool telling you to get down to 120-125. Almost makes me wish some sort of weight issue on her….almost. Don’t let it get to you, you know that is much too small and you know what is a good size for you. I’m glad you seem to be at a place where you know what is right and don’t feel the need to follow her instruction.

MaryLynn – wonderful NSV’s for the week! 750 minutes of workout; that is impressive!

Bert – Sounds like your NSV’s were wonderful. I had to miss church for a few months a short while ago and it was such a relief when I went back, so refreshing to be back with a body of believers. I’m glad you are feeling up to getting out and about again.

Suzi - I like to garden, but I tend to kill things…sad but true. I always say, don’t give me a plant unless you want it dead. I only keep very hardy plants (thus all the bulbs). Someday I would love to learn how to care for them, though, so I can have a beautiful garden; veggies and flowers.

Myra – Sometimes my daffodils do ok after a frost, sometimes not so much. The ones in the backyard, which get more sun, are generally ok, but the ones in the front don’t always bloom if they start poking through before the winter frost is done.

I have been coming in under my calories this week, which is unusual for me and may not be a good thing. I am hoping that I am better enough that it will be ok, but recent history has shown that this means I’ll gain some weight because my body wants to hold onto everything if it feels like it isn’t getting enough. I don’t own a scale that works so I won’t know much unless my clothes start to fit differently.

Sounds like you all are doing very well on your NSV’s; wonderful job!
    Grace and Peace to you
    Jeanette
  • bertevans
    Options
    Well, I had a set back today. I think I'm probably doing too much, so I didn't do much except rest. I'm having muscle pain sensations of which the doctor said is due to swollen nerves. I had to break down and take a pain pill. At least I have a new jigsaw puzzle almost complete! I'll try to post a picture of it when it's done.

Bert
  • bertevans
    Options
    Karla-how did you post your pictures? Did you let MFP have access to them?
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Janet- Doesn't it hurt to drive and get in and out of the vehicle with that packing? Please be careful.

I am over 15k steps, it is getting easier and easier, but still time consuming, but it is sure making me feel really good!!

See you all in the morning,

Karla
  • tedwards72
    tedwards72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! Sorry I don't post here often... Going to try and change that, and start setting small goals.... I'm ready for this cold weather to go away.... Going to ice my knee and watch some TV.... Stay warm every one. :)
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Janet- I hope you sleep better tonight! i sure intend to :) I’m glad you are feeling a bit better since starting the antibiotics.

Bert- both you and Janet need to take it easy and let yourselves heal! puzzles are a wonderful thing :) i’m glad i’m not the only one who doesn’t know how to post a picture ;)

Cindy- cookies are more likely to jump at me than cupcakes…. but i’ve had my fair share of ones i can’t remember tasting. (did i even chew?) sigh. tomorrow is a new day too!

Karla- just reading your list makes me feel tired ;) congrats on over 15K steps! the visit with your son sounds so nice, i’m glad you enjoyed it.

Diane- i’m so glad you had great fun skiing. just the thought of shoveling just to get home makes my back hurt! I hope you all are taking good care of yourselves after all that effort! I agree that dvd’s feel like a chore. so does a treadmill, but that’s what i’ve got right now. i’d MUCH prefer to go for a run outside, and maybe i’ll rehab my way back to it this year! (i hope, i hope)

Patti- i don’t have a crafty bone in my body. my mother can do all sorts of crafty things… i don’t have the talent nor the patience! i’m sure the invitations will be lovely! yay for watching the Super Bowl in NC! GO PANTHERS!

Jeanette- wonderful wednesday, yay! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your daffodils! thanks for sharing about your thoughtful college student. what an uplifting comment :)

waving hello to Tracy :) sometimes i’ve got time to post… and sometimes i don’t. it’s all good :) hope your knee feels better soon.

time to hit the shower and then the bed,
    Myra
  • luzingg
    Options
    Jeanette, how sweet of that young man to notice you needed lift and did something about it. Bet it made your day.
    Bert, sorry to hear you are having pain but sounds like you are doing the right things to make it better.
    Tracy, you did great tonight despite your knee pain, hope the ice helps so you will be ready for whatever she throws at us at TRX tomorrow nite.

My Mom loved her sesame sticks. She was like a little kid. The paper holder was just what she wanted and now realizes she needs one for the other bathroom, so it is on the list for the next time I head in that direction.

I think I have worked out the paper issue and won't have to buy more. Just need to get her approval before I start putting them together. The hardest part is the pocket, lots of cuts and scores and then getting to attach to the card in just the right spot. I am going to try to get some of the printing done this weekend. So far I just have the blank pieces of paper temporarily taped together so I could figure out the sizes of each piece. It is a lot of math and trying to get the most of each piece of paper with minimum waste but I think I have it worked out now.

Going to chill, have Circuit in the morning.
    Patti
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Busy day has led to another late check in. I worked today conducting some one on one training and we left for the OU women's basketball game shortly after I got home. Eating not really stellar today, but all tracked.
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies,
    Apologies for not getting to personal comments until late tonight. I realize that may often be the case for some and it is amazing that you find the time to accomplish all that you do in one day!
    Cindy: You are taking so many positive steps forward, including honesty with yourself. That is probably one of the most complex parts of the journey - how we feel about our actions and how we handle disappointment with ourselves. We all have "triggers" and you'll find yours too.
    Your caring personality always comes through as you encourage us all. Thanks for being you!

Bert: Your energy levels (despite that awful nerve pain) seem really high. Hang in there as this continues to challenge you and test your patience. Sometimes all it takes is a good sleep. Hoping you get a wonderful rest tonight and that the pill does provide the comfort you need.

Karla: Wonderful energetic you!! Racing through the list after the serene start to your day is obviously working great. So pleased for your accomplishments and progress. It does take time to get in all those steps. It is totally worth it and building muscle always helps as well! No wonder the slimming is noticeable for you already...bet your family is noticing it too!

Janet: The grace and self-confidence within you is so evident today. It seems to have grown stronger in spite of the needless pain you endured. Oh, those warnings that come up on car computers now! I suppose we should be grateful, but do be careful with those legs, okay? Let us know when you've gotten home again and are resting with the heating pad on once more. Glad that the antibiotics are doing their job too and that healing is underway for you slowly.

Patti: Would love to see what the invites look like as well, when you are pleased with them and ready to show us. Your craftiness is inspiring me as well as others here. It sounds complex! I have some Arches watercolor paper waiting for me on the studio table downstairs. Saw some beautiful misty clouds in among the mountains and trees the other day. Soft green/grays. Glad you found the paper you were looking for and are making such great progress with them.

We ventured out to the local mall to track down some rain gear and new runners, as it was absolutely pouring here today (still is)! We did get in some walking and just finished lifting some weights, so that can get checked off the "to do" list. Food was a bit hit-and-miss, thus fiber and protein are both on the low side for me.

Will be back tomorrow for more personal comments, as I can only scan up so for on one page.

Nite nite all!

MaryLynn
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Marylynn- Thank you for taking your time last evening to give such beautifully worded personals. It was your recipe I copied yesterday on the Chicken Phyllo pie. I am planning on making that this weekend. I know it is difficult to get the usual nutrition when out of the home. Rain gear is mandatory down here in Mobile, Alabama as we always are the city with the highest inches of rain in the whole country!! Higher than Seattle!!

Suzi- What day are you coming down? I look forward to seeing you. The first part of next week I have to run over to Panama City to see my father and have a reunion meeting.

Janet- How was your evening? Please take it easy when you go out today.

I am working quickly at my desk this morning before heading out to my client's site.

Have a wonderful day, remember your mini goal, your health, your life!!

Karla